Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

18 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I did catch the website at the bottom, which does reference ulcerative colitis/Crohn’s, so I assume it’s for a prescription med.

Do I get a prize for calling it without seeing the website? ;-)

• Love 4
On January 11, 2018 at 8:20 PM, PradaKitty said:

Okay, the commercial is for Toilet Paper! That’s why the poor misinformed leg shaving girl had pieces of it stuck all over the numerous divots she has cut into her leg by shaving it in the wrong direction...

Seriously? It's for toilet paper?

• The first time I saw it, I thought it was sweet that a single dad was willing to shave his legs to show his daughter how.
  • Then I just noticed the wrong direction shaving.
  • Then I wondered if I'd been doing it wrong for 50 years.
  • Then I noticed they both had cut themselves and figured they were doing it wrong, not me.
  • Then I thought more likely the girl's friends would show her how—the right way.

So I've seen the commercial at least a dozen times and had no idea what it was for.

• Love 2
On 1/11/2018 at 8:59 AM, janie jones said:

You're supposed to shave your hair, on your face or on your legs, in the direction of hair growth, because doing it in the opposite direction is supposed to cause irritation, which I think is supposed to lead to ingrown hairs.  I find this completely awkward and shave up my legs rather than down.  Plus, it seems more conducive to slipping and cutting your leg open.

Back in the day we were watching Queer Eye and they were saying you should shave your face in the direction of hair growth and my DH was appalled. I don't think he listened to a word they said after that.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Back in the day we were watching Queer Eye and they were saying you should shave your face in the direction of hair growth and my DH was appalled. I don't think he listened to a word they said after that.

Going in the direction of hair growth doesn't give you as close a shave, but looking like you forgot to shave that morning was in fashion for a while.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

2 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Going in the direction of hair growth doesn't give you as close a shave, but looking like you forgot to shave that morning was in fashion for a while.

When I used to shave (before I wore a full beard), I always shaved in the direction of the grain. It hurt my skin otherwise.

I'm confused by the latest Trivago commercial. Scruffy Hotel Guy is sitting on his hotel bed talking about how great Trivago is because he can narrow his search to find hotels that will allow him to "bring kitty with me." Then a little dog jumps up on the bed.

Am I hearing him wrong? Or is this supposed to be some sort of ironic joke?

7 minutes ago, Eliot said:

I'm confused by the latest Trivago commercial. Scruffy Hotel Guy is sitting on his hotel bed talking about how great Trivago is because he can narrow his search to find hotels that will allow him to "bring kitty with me." Then a little dog jumps up on the bed.

Am I hearing him wrong? Or is this supposed to be some sort of ironic joke?

I don't think so.  I wouldn't stay in a hotel unless they allowed my dog.

I took my late cat on vacation with me three times, about 20 years ago. She went with me once to my former stepmother's to stay for the holidays. She was a very cool customer and would get comfortable pretty immediately after checking out and sniffing the entire place like a dog does.

When making reservations at a pet-friendly place, people do usually pause a second when you say, "I'm bringing my cat," but pet-friendly means pet-friendly!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I don't think so.  I wouldn't stay in a hotel unless they allowed my dog.

No - as I said, I am confused because it sounds like he is saying "kitty" but it's a dog that jumps on the bed.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Eliot said:

No - as I said, I am confused because it sounds like he is saying "kitty" but it's a dog that jumps on the bed.

I'm pretty sure the dog's name is Kitty.  Remember that song "Walking My Cat Named Dog"?

• Love 2

I know those Chevy "real people, not actors" commercials are usually discussed in the "enraged" thread, but this one genuinely perplexes me. It's the one where a bunch of the real people are walking up to the car and then are shocked to find their families inside. It plays out like one of those scenes from reality competition shows, but these "real people" haven't been sequestered away from their families. Why the hell are they acting so overjoyed? Some of them probably just saw their relatives a few hours ago.

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Has no one really watched/listened to that video?  "walking my cat named dog".  It is a great, catchy song.

There's a version at vimeo.com by They Might Be Giants with better sound quality and an accompanying animation. It looks like you can find it with or without the "g" on "walking".

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

There's a version at vimeo.com by They Might Be Giants with better sound quality and an accompanying animation. It looks like you can find it with or without the "g" on "walking".

Yes, I saw that one.  The one I posted is the original from 1966 when it was playing on the radio.  I think that appearance may have been Hullabaloo or Shindig.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Xantar said:

I know those Chevy "real people, not actors" commercials are usually discussed in the "enraged" thread, but this one genuinely perplexes me. It's the one where a bunch of the real people are walking up to the car and then are shocked to find their families inside. It plays out like one of those scenes from reality competition shows, but these "real people" haven't been sequestered away from their families. Why the hell are they acting so overjoyed? Some of them probably just saw their relatives a few hours ago.

I think the jist is that they found relatives the people they drag over to the driveway haven’t seen in awhile.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I think the jist is that they found relatives the people they drag over to the driveway haven’t seen in awhile.

If the "real people" actually were just pulled off the street and they didn't know their family was in those cars, then that suggests that the people making the commercial found out who their relatives were, contacted them, and got them into the cars without the "real people" knowing. Which is really creepy if you think about it.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Xantar said:

If the "real people" actually were just pulled off the street and they didn't know their family was in those cars, then that suggests that the people making the commercial found out who their relatives were, contacted them, and got them into the cars without the "real people" knowing. Which is really creepy if you think about it.

I just saw the ad a little bit ago and I agree.  This means that Chevy did some research on the “real people” they used for their ads.  What kinds of questions could they have possibly asked that would get them to the end game of finding far away relatives?

The whole ad campaign makes me sad because other that my first car which was a Dodge because it was given to me for free, I have ONLY driven Chevy and for the rest of my life will ONLY drive Chevy.  And it’s certainly not because of their commercials!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I just saw the ad a little bit ago and I agree.  This means that Chevy did some research on the “real people” they used for their ads.  What kinds of questions could they have possibly asked that would get them to the end game of finding far away relatives?

The whole ad campaign makes me sad because other that my first car which was a Dodge because it was given to me for free, I have ONLY driven Chevy and for the rest of my life will ONLY drive Chevy.  And it’s certainly not because of their commercials!

I'm just wondering if there are some cut scenes where the strategy backfired. Something like, "I haven't seen you in so long. Because you slept with my fiance!"

• Love 10
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

The whole ad campaign makes me sad because other that my first car which was a Dodge because it was given to me for free, I have ONLY driven Chevy and for the rest of my life will ONLY drive Chevy.

Mopars rule, Chevys drool!

• Love 3
On 1/15/2018 at 2:52 PM, mmecorday said:

I want to know what Cyndi Lauper is spraying on her skin in that commercial for Consentyx. Also, I want to know why she hasn't aged a day since "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."

I want to know why she's still dying her hair hot pink. 

I don't get this one at all: 

They haven't been to the store in a while, so smelling the milk bottle makes them fall on their face?  

Fainting from hunger? if so, why does it happen as soon as they smell the milk bottle? or the milk is so old it's sour - but why would that make them fall down?  

• Love 1
On 1/17/2018 at 11:29 AM, Eliot said:

Is he dying his hair now?  I always thought he was kind of salt & pepper gray, but now his hair looks a ghastly yellow.

9 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I want to know why she's still dying her hair hot pink. 

Because she's still performing?  She's touring with Rod Steward right now.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, backformore said:

I don't get this one at all: 

They haven't been to the store in a while, so smelling the milk bottle makes them fall on their face?  

Fainting from hunger? if so, why does it happen as soon as they smell the milk bottle? or the milk is so old it's sour - but why would that make them fall down?  

I think the milk has gone sour and they are passed out from the awful stench.

John Goodman did a bit like that on “Roseanne” lo these many years ago and it was hysterical.

• Love 1

In the Allstate ad with the teen talking to his parents about his "incredibly minor accident," why do they ground him from the car for 4 weeks instead of a month?  That would make more sense to me, plus it adds three days to his punishment. 

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 4:00 PM, smittykins said:

In the Allstate ad with the teen talking to his parents about his "incredibly minor accident," why do they ground him from the car for 4 weeks instead of a month?  That would make more sense to me, plus it adds three days to his punishment. 

I don't understand why he was grounded at all ?

The version of that ad that's been playing for months cuts out a chunk where he explains where the "extremely minor" accident occurred. He was going through a fast food drive-through and claims that it was poorly designed and unnecessarily narrow, goes on to fulsomely praise the insurance policy, and then Mom cuts in with the grounding. Much funnier since his argument sounds so reasonable before Mom shuts him down and he completely folds.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, stillhere1900 said:

Neither do I. I had a few fender benders when I was a teenager and my parents understood that they were accidents. I always had old clunkers and we never even bothered our insurance company about the little dents and dings. Maybe it helped that they were my cars. I never put a scratch in any of theirs. Well, I did roll my mom's Camaro once but it didn't get a scratch.

• Love 1

I have a $200 deductible on the collision portion of my policy.  A relatively small ding can easily get to $500+ if it needs some paint or a panel replacement.  And if you are still making payments or on a lease, you probably don't have a choice about getting it fixed.

4 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

3 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Because he wrecked the car.

I've always told my boys "Don't be afraid to ever tell us.  The first question we'll ask is 'Is everyone OK?'"

• Love 1

I thought the implication of the conversation was that he was calling it "extremely minor" but that damagewise, it was not, hence his parent's 'tude. As in: the ad is telling us he's bullshitting by presenting the parent as perturbed; rather than showing us an unreasonably upset parent at an actually minor thing.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I thought the implication of the conversation was that he was calling it "extremely minor" but that damagewise, it was not, hence his parent's 'tude. As in: the ad is telling us he's bullshitting by presenting the parent as perturbed; rather than showing us an unreasonably upset parent at an actually minor thing.

Bingo!  My thought as well.

39 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

And really, considering that when Mom says, "You can't use the car for four weeks," he responds by saying, "Okay, good night" and leaves the room, he knows that they're on to him. It's not like they were packing his bags to send him off to military school.

• Love 2

I don’t see 4 weeks without the family car as a horrific punishment... It’s a way of giving the kid a consequence and not letting him just think, “eh, the insurance will cover it, so no big deal.” Maybe he’ll be a little more careful with the family car next time, in other words.

My guess is that if he were in a more serious accident, involving more damage and/or injury but no negligence (e.g., texting, drinking), he’d be a little more upset and the parents may not be as focused on a punishment.

• Love 3