Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

(edited)

He just wants someone who trusts him when he says "Never look in the basement/attic/shed where I do do my special projects no matter how much screaming you hear"

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 15
5 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Elvive shampoo.  I'm so confused.  Was that Winona Ryder?  Everyone loves a comeback--even your damaged hair?  Huh???  I didn't know Winona was in need of a comeback...

What was the last thing you saw her in?

• Love 1

She had a long hiatus from show business, during which she was caught shoplifting. She reemerged (had a "comeback") a couple years ago when she starred in the acclaimed Stranger Things series on Netflix. It's run two seasons so far, and will have at least one more.

• Love 3

Tiffany Haddish is a comedian, actor and author. She's pretty fantastic. She has a Showtime comedy special and costarred in the movie Girls Trip, which is a riot. It's currently running on HBO, so you can catch it on demand.

She was chosen to be the spokesperson for Groupon because she has a story about taking Will and Jada Pinkett Smith, her Girls Trip costar, on a Groupon swamp tour. She tells the story in the comedy special.

She's been on a few TV shows, most recently The Last O.G., with Tracy Morgan. I haven't seen it. She was also on The Carmichaels, which I also haven't seen. She hosted Saturday Night Live in November and was great. Her star is definitely rapidly rising.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Stella Rose said:

My irrational hatred of the moment is for some tablet/laptop/computer commercial.  A very pretty woman of (possibly) mixed race talks about why she started some dumb fashion blog/vlog/whatever-cakes.

She says "Growing up, I had no one who looked like me."   Nothing more specific. That's it.  No one who looked like her.   I am guessing she means she had no one who looked like her as a role model/to look up to or whatever, but,  not what she says.

It gives me the impression that as an infant she was abducted by aliens and only recently returned.  "No one looked like me!  No one had two arms, two legs, hair, or even eyes ...  It was horrible.  No one even walked on two legs."  

I mean, bless, I get the idea - but the non-specificity of the advert just makes me nuts.  I would think she had parents, and assuming she is talking about no one looking like her in hair or her skin color, I know a lot of people with that skin color.

Something about it just bugs.  She says it all whiny and sort of smugly on top of it.  Grr.

So I'm not the only one wondering she's talking about, ESPECIALLY since she lives in NYC and there are all kinds of people there.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

So I'm not the only one wondering she's talking about, ESPECIALLY since she lives in NYC and there are all kinds of people there.

I assumed at first it's because she was quirky, but that didn't make sense either.  I think she's adorable, and someone I would probably have fun with, but the whole "Sometimes my blog is about sprinkles!" confuses me too.  :/

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Why does the woman assume the instructor of the yoga class she and her daughter are attending is a lesbian And is trying set them up on a date?

The instructor is a man.

• Love 5

There's an ad for an Infinity Wars tie in with Infiniti brand car that features a couple going to see the movie and the wife using her voice-activated device to start an orchestra playing the score to the movie as they drive to the movie theatre and the husband is thankful that they made it on time. What? So much of this makes no sense!

• Love 1

Does Ford create fake ads for their dealership with the intent on them appearing to be locally made? I've seen a succession of ads with a spokeswoman and a man who I think is sppsd to be the owner of the local dealership and I swear none of the alleged employees in this one ad looked familiar.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, Ubiquitous said:

Why does the woman assume the instructor of the yoga class she and her daughter are attending is a lesbian And is trying set them up on a date?

I hate that commercial with a passion, but I think it's because the mom looks like a woman that I do charity work with who drives me up the wall - she's opinionated and domineering, and has no manners.  Kind-of like the mom in that commercial (they're not the same person - the one I know is shorter, lol).

10 hours ago, Maverick said:

"Goin' hard at the Hardee's".  What the fuck does that even mean. Is this Music City reject trying to tell us he pops a boner over his burger. 

I was wondering the same thing.  Ew.......

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Maverick said:

"Goin' hard at the Hardee's".  What the fuck does that even mean. Is this Music City reject trying to tell us he pops a boner over his burger. 

Has Carl Jr seized control back from his father offscreen?

• Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:34 AM, Maverick said:

Yes

And over his gun, American flag and pick up truck, too, apparently.  Every country boy American cliché. 

Hate that commercial so much

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, Jamoche said:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7lpj/prevagen-jellyfish-protein

The way they say "jellyfish", you'd think they're expecting you to go "wow, I can be as smart as a jellyfish!"

I can just imagine the ad-men's meeting on this:

Gee, we'll talk jellyfish!!! It is so weird that people will think it just has to be true! 

Yeah, well, I've read the small print. Burns me up that they have made so much on this. (it must be a small fortune to be able to continue to run the commercials).

Edited by SoSueMe
"b" in be :)
2 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

I can just imagine the ad-men's meeting on this:

Gee, we'll talk jellyfish!!! It is so weird that people will think it just has to be true! 

Yeah, well, I've read the small print. Burns me up that they have made so much on this. (it must be a small fortune to e able to continue to run the commercials).

Then there's the one where they get some mineral from shale that we're supposed to be super excited about.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Jamoche said:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7lpj/prevagen-jellyfish-protein

The way they say "jellyfish", you'd think they're expecting you to go "wow, I can be as smart as a jellyfish!"

The worst part is that they pronounced it "jullyfish".

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Then there's the one where they get some mineral from shale that we're supposed to be super excited about.

God, I'm tired of that ad.

Actually, there are two of them, but they're virtually the same.  At least they changed the version with the supposed real life user who screeched like the Wicked Witch.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Would that be natural gas?  I haven't seen that one yet.

9 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Would that be natural gas?  I haven't seen that one yet.

It's that Plexaderm thing with the people looking like 40 miles of bad road reducing the bags under their eyes, so now they look like only 35 miles of bad road.  "It's from SHALE ROCK!"

• Love 4

There's another commercial with anthropomorphic food cannibalizing itself. A Heinz commercial for its new mayonnaise features a giant jar of mayonnaise (a man in a costume) working behind a deli counter, filling orders for a line of customers, who are giant sandwiches (adults and kids in sandwich costumes). He's making regular-sized sandwiches using Heinz mayonnaise, so he's essentially spreading his guts (mayo) on the carcass skin (bread) of his customers' people.

There's another brand of mayonnaise outside the deli looking in; he's mad that Heinz mayonnaise is getting all the business. I'm left wondering why lesser-brand mayonnaise would want to hasten his death.

I just saw an ad where Jimmy Dean tells us how much he love's his breakfasts because "they warm him up and get him going in the morning," Jimmy, I hate to tell you this but nothing is going to warm up a corpse and get it going unless you are trying to tell us that you are a zombie.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Brookside said:

Michelob is to champagne as cat food is to caviar.

It's really time to stop trying to sell that line.

Miller beer used to be called "The Champagne of Bottled Beers".

• Love 7

I am puzzled by the Volvo commercial that uses Favourite Things from The Sound of Music. The singer over-pronounces the double-t in "kittens" and "mittens" but in "kettles" it's practically a glottal stop. Independently, it's not odd to hear a double-t go either way, but the same person in the span of one song doing both sounds weird to me every time.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I am puzzled by the Volvo commercial that uses Favourite Things from The Sound of Music. The singer over-pronounces the double-t in "kittens" and "mittens" but in "kettles" it's practically a glottal stop. Independently, it's not odd to hear a double-t go either way, but the same person in the span of one song doing both sounds weird to me every time.

Ugh. It's probably because it's always only Julie Andrews I hear singing it in my head, if ever there was a song that benefits from clear, crisp enunciation, it's Favourite Things.

(Heh. Google doesn't like the British spelling Favourite. Bite me, Google.)

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Brookside said:

That slogan says that if champagne is the caviar of drinks, Michelob is the cat food. Is that really what they meant to say?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Miller beer used to be called "The Champagne of Bottled Beers".

My girlfriends and I used to drink those "little Millers", eight packs instead of six packs because they went flat more slowly and the little bottles were cute.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

That slogan says that if champagne is the caviar of drinks, Michelob is the cat food. Is that really what they meant to say?

I made the analogy of cat food and caviar - to make the point that Michelob is nothing like champagne, unlike the ad's claims.

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, Brookside said:

I think it's Miller High Life, but I don't disagree with the rest.

Oh, and now I have that old High Life jingle in my head, so thanks. ;-)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I think it's Miller High Life, but I don't disagree with the rest.

Oh, and now I have that old High Life jingle in my head, so thanks. ;-)

You're welcome, and thanks for the correction.  You can probably guess that I don't drink either of them.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:32 AM, Jamoche said:

The disconnect between Whose Line Is It Anyway? and every other show on that channel is never more obvious than when they're running ads. Usually I mute them, but I wasn't fast enough and caught the beginning of the "Wonder Bible". Starts off with "Our Father which art in heaven."

Yes, you saw that right. "which", not "who". Maybe one of the best known verses ever and they get it wrong. Yeah, even if I were the target market, you lost me.

Quoting myself: So I happened to be looking up when the ad came on this time, and the calligraphy version of it does say "who". Pick one!

8 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Why would you send your parents a selfie from the beach, with your friends clearly in the background,  if you told them you are studying?

That commercial makes no sense at all. 

I thought he posted it on social media. Which is still stupid. 

• Love 4