Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: The Dance of Dragons

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis: 

Stannis faces a difficult decision; Jon returns to the Wall; Mace visits the Iron Bank; Arya encounters someone from her past; Dany oversees a celebration of athleticism.

Reminder: There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into a potential spoiler you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read all the books to date. Any information from unpublished books, such as preview chapters should be in spoiler tags.

I started crying - I cannot believe Stannis went through with it! And that they didn't end the show on that scene. I felt like it was such a disservice to not end on Shireen's death. I couldn't concentrate on Dany

• Love 12
(edited)

Holy fire, batman! That was intense!

I actually got nervous that the producers would fuck with everyone and kill Drogon.

And as for Shireen, wow.... That was disturbing

Edited by Attaboy000
  • Love 6

Damn I was hoping for a last minute escape for poor little Shireen. One of the worst deaths on this show for me. As impressive as Drogon's appearance is, it still can't make me forget about poor little Shireen. I am grateful though that I didn't have to watch her burn. Now I don't know who I want to win the Battle of Winterfell. Maybe Stannis and Ramsay will kill each other.

• Love 9

I want Stannis to live long enough to kill the Boltons so that Brienne can rescue Sansa. Then I want him to DIE DIE DIE along with that stupid fire witch. I was sobbing during that scene. Dany needs to get to Westeros, team up with Jon Snow and take all of these mofos down!

• Love 13

It was cool, but I think the scene where - I think it was in season 3? - when Dany unleashed her dragon on the man who thought she was going to sell one of the dragons to him still takes the cake for a dragon saving the day.

• Love 9

You can't burn an adorable child to death at the half hour mark and then expect people to pay attention to the rest of the episode.

I found the Harpy attack a little confusing. They were killing indiscriminately and really put little effort into going after Dany. Dany abandoning her friends in the middle of the killing field was hilarious and kind of put a damper on her big triumph.

• Love 24

Another terrible episode for young girls. Girl gets prostituted out to creepy Meryn Trant. Shireen, most adorable young person on the show, put on a stake to be burned alive. Sigh.

Figures again, it's Dorne that doesn't harm little girls. Well done, Doran.

The death of Shireen totally outweighs the Harpy uprising, stabbing of Hizdahr, return of Drogon and Dany's escape.

I am glad though that Missandei lives to see another day. Thanks, Tyrion, for the timely intervention.

• Love 23

Shireen was your heir, Stannis you idiot. She was also the last Baratheon after you. Heck of a dynasty you are fighting for! 

I have enjoyed Tyrion actually being with Dany in Mareen (and skipping on the crap with the Penny and the pig). I liked is reactions to 1) Drogon and 2) the first Targaryan dragon rider in over 100 years. 

• Love 20

I feel like I did when I read the Red Wedding so many years ago. Kicked in the gut.

So Danaerys did a bunch of stupid things, let her dragons become killers, lost her dragon, was clueless during a fight, couldn't even jump down a dais, had set herself up for a giant ambush through a long series of poor and poorer decisions, and she closed her eyes and wished real hard and got another big gift to save her.

• Love 19
(edited)

Oh, and great job Ser Friendzone with the TOUCHING EVERYONE.

I know!!! When he held his hand out to Dany, I yelled, "DON'T TOUCH HIM!!!" at the TV.

Edited by TexasChic
  • Love 7
(edited)

A little underwhelmed, I will admit. Most of this episode read as a setup for the finale, I felt. But dammit, Stannis, I really wanted to believe in you! I really wanted you to get a hold of the assholes Bolton and put them down. Now? I almost hope Ramsey gets a hold of Stannis and his red psycho fanatic and gets to flaying. THAT is how pissed I am right now. RIP one of the sweetest, smartest characters on GOT.

Glad to see my new boy Wun Wun the giant again. You are a welcome sight my man.

Funny that one of the most touching scenes in the show is between a girl and her CGI dragon. Dany flying off with Drogon was beautiful. 

Edited by HeySandyStrange
  • Love 8

Well, we know that bad stuff always happens in the ninth episodes of the seasons...

It's a shame Dany and Tyrion split up so soon after meeting, but I hope they'll meet up again soon. In the meantime, there's still the Jorah and Tyrion bromance, right?

Poor Shireen though.

Burning Shireen. So the show actually went there. Just heartrending to watch. But I don't want Stannis to lose against the Boltons. I'd like him to have that one triumph, only then to die at Brienne's hands. Which would also redeem the season for Gwendolyn Christie, whose talents were wasted for pretty much the entire season.

Loved it when Ser Jorah threw that spear from the pit and killed the harpy behind Dany. The whole end scene was masterfully done.

Wondering what Davos will do when he finds out Stannis burned poor Shireen. If one event can make Davos doubt that Stannis is the one true king, this would be it.

• Love 24
(edited)

The Dornish plot is just a trainwreck at this point, and in this episode it felt like Ellaria's scenes were completely out of order.  First, why is she not under arrest in the opening scene?  And she acts like a snarky bitch, strolling away; then next she's teary and contrite, and even sympathizing with Jaime?

And Doran is sending his only heir to King's Landing, not only giving up his hostage (Myrcella) but giving the Lannisters a Martell one?  It would be one thing if there was some indication of a greater plan here, but the Dornish scenes without Jaime really don't suggest that.

Also, due to the changes, Dany basically just abandoned her supporting cast to their seeming deaths.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 24

I found the Harpy attack a little confusing. They were killing indiscriminately and really put little effort into going after Dany. Dany abandoning her friends in the middle of the killing field was hilarious and kind of put a damper on her big triumph.

Ditto on all counts. It was confusing, and looked like she just abandoned them to their fate.

• Love 8

Whoa, I guess we know why they bought on the Shireen character, I guess this was to be Stannis's fork in the road moment and we see that when it comes down to it, he will choose the pursuit of power over humanity.   He regretted what he did to Renly and I have know doubt he'll be eaten alive by what he did to Shireen.   Interesting reaction in the social media world, now people who a few weeks ago were hoping Stannis would burn Roose and Ramsay are now hoping that the Boltons, flay Stannis and Mel.   Well played show.   It's impossible to decide who to root for.

Say what you will about Ramsay Bolton.  The one thing he is good at is destruction.    He is savage and brutal but when it comes to taking things/people apart, he is VERY good at it.  Be it physically or psychologically.

That was an amazing scene in the Mereen Pit.   The Son's of the Harpy are very effective villains and those last few minutes proved that Dany is going to need more than dragons if she wants to conquer the Seven Kingdoms.   Though If I were loyal to Dany, I'd adopt a screw her mentality after watching her fly off and leave me in that pit.

Great Episode.

• Love 9

Well, now I won't have any issues with Brie killing Stannis and every one of those damn solders getting flayed by the Boltons. Shit, I wanted Stannis to win this battle and now I don't know what I want.  I do NOT want Shirleen burning to benefit Stannis in any way.

I can't wait to see what they show us next in Meereen.  The three of them just kind of looked like "what now?"

• Love 2
(edited)

Stannis, I dint care how correct your grammar is, you are dead to me. When Selyse the embryo saving psycho is a better moral compass than you are, I hope you get flayed bit by bit while freezing to death. Die soon false king.

Thorne opened the gate. I'm shocked.

Drogon saved the day. Smart dragon. Too bad Maximus Friendzone touched Dany. But maybe greyscale won't affect her. Bye Hidzar. I figured you were too nice for this world.

Edited by dbell1
  • Love 4

Another thought just occurred to me. Next week there could be a Stannis vs Bolton showdown. While I love how the books are very grey vs gray, how am I supposed to pick a side on THAT battle now?

• Love 4

I really didn't think it would play out this way.  Devastating, and sickening.  Where do they go from here with this?  I will say it was beautifully acted by Diillane, Ingram, and Fitzgerald.  Man, will I miss Shireen!

I had hoped the dragons were more impervious to weapons such as spears.  I did love Dany flying away.  I almost wish I could right now.

• Love 1

I don't know if it's true but I've read that Shireen's death by fire is going to happen in the books as well. 

That's what it sounded like in the D&D video after.  "When George told us about this..."

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, the show managed to make me root for the Boltons to take Stannis out. I guess that's an accomplishment.

Supposedly GRRM himself told the showrunners that the Shireen burning happens in the book too. I am really pissed at GRRM.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 6
(edited)

Poor little Shireen! They could have had the decency to drug her first.

Where was the huge Unsullied army? There were a lot more Harpie's.

Loved the Drogon scene!

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 2
(edited)

The show has ruined my hope for a Shirleen and Rickon marriage so screw them.

But on other fronts - Dany needs her other dragons and she needs to train them on who and what to eat.  Sheep yes. Children no. Enemies - just don't get so full you can't fly.

Go Brie - avenge Renly for you!   And Shirleen for us!

Oh and another random thought - I am going to assume as of right now that greyscale can't be transmitted in the early stages unless you touch an affected area otherwise Jorah would have never touched Dany.

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 11

I don't know if it's true but I've read that Shireen's death by fire is going to happen in the books as well.

Sort of an important difference that she and Melisandre are at Castle Black, not with Stannis.  So Selyse makes the choice, and she's fundamentally in thrall to Melisandre who will do anything for Azor Ahai, who she's starting to think is Jon...

• Love 9

I've long expected that Stannis would sacrifice Shireen - it was foreshadowed in the books well before the TV show ever started - but that didn't make it any easier to watch. The only real question in my mind was whether Selyse would go along or not, but it had to happen with Stannis's authorization because otherwise there's no conflict (since Stannis is a major character and Selyse is not). Well, that question is answered, and although it doesn't make much difference, as Shireen's still dead, at least she knew that one parent tried to stop it. As for Stannis, he can burn in hell. I can't wait for Davos to find out. I don't see him staying with Stannis after this. I had never thought about it before, but now I wonder if Stannis's end will come at Davos's hands. Given their history, that would be the most powerful way for Shireen to be avenged.

I know it didn't look great, but I do think Dany flying off on Drogon saved the lives of her companions. The Harpies were trying to get to her, and if she had stayed there she would have continued to make a target out of all the others, who were fighting to keep the Harpies away from her. And although Drogon is bigger now, and a serious threat, he's also clearly not yet big enough to be able to handle the Harpies either. With Dany out of the fighting pit, now the others have a shot at being able to escape to safety, because they weren't the ones the Harpies were after to begin with.

• Love 7

Sort of an important difference that she and Melisandre are at Castle Black, not with Stannis.  So Selyse makes the choice, and she's fundamentally in thrall to Melisandre who will do anything for Azor Ahai, who she's starting to think is Jon...

Yes - I can believe Shireen dies in a case like you say, but not Stannis. Not here. And although Shireen ends up dead in both scenarios, the show version is not true to the characters

• Love 7

It's saying something about a show when pedophilia isn't even close to the worse thing on that episode. Wow.

Merlyn was already hatable, no need to make him worse.

That orgasmic look on Dany's face when Drogon was doing his thing can't be good. I see shades of the wild king in her.

The Shireen scene was very hard to watch, but at least they gave it a proper buildup and it  didn't climax the episode with that.

Doran. UM? um? WTF is going on with Doran? Are you going to bother writing a coherent storyline for that place?

This was the definition of a pyrrhic victory for Stannis. He killed off his bloodline and even thinking in an ends justifies the means way, there's nobody else left to burn up for his next war. Also I have a feeling that Davos is definitely resigning as soon as he finds out. 

• Love 4
(edited)

It's been foreshadowed for ages.  I always thought Stannis really left her at the wall with Melly to be able to somewhere claim plausible deniability.  He knew.  He always knew.  I also agree with the above poster that in the books, this will be somehow used to resurrect Jon Snow.

That orgasmic look on Dany's face when Drogon was doing his thing can't be good. I see shades of the wild king in her.

There are definitely places in the books where I think it is fairly clear she's going to end up like daddy.  I distinctly remember thinking 'She's mad.  Utterly mad.'

Also, I think next week, Arya pays the price for her disobedience.

Edited by areca
  • Love 7

Oh Stannis...if Ramsay flays you I will applaud.  Or anybody, really I could give a shit who does it.  And I'm sure he can think of something to do to the wife and witchy priestess girlfriend there.  Get creative Ramsay...

The rest of the episode was great, I enjoyed more of Dorne, and Arya No One and the wildings.  Ride that dragon Dany!  Get as far away from Mereen as you can.  I do feel for those left behind, that'll suck.  

I hope we do get our walk next week, it'll be a fit ending to the season.

• Love 3