Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: When Paradise Is Home

I'm out of practice with these forum thingies.  Should I save my rampant speculation for a dedicated thread?  For now, let me just say that I think this show has some awesome potential -- to go either way.  It has the creepy atmosphere without going too dark, but it also tried too hard in some characters to be over-the-top.  (I'm looking at you, Nurse Mommy-Dearest.) It has the parallel story tracks, where clues might be sprinkled, but it could also run into problems with keeping those details consistent.

I was never a fan of "Twin Peaks" altho I can understand its appeal. I was intrigued by the original of "The Prisoner" but really enjoyed the recent mini-series remake of it more. Those are the comparisons I've seen mentioned, and to that I might suggest this show has a bit in common with "Awake" as well, which was pretty good and ended too soon, and "Persons Unknown" which is less of a compliment.

It's too soon for theories, but I'm on board to rewatch the first ep when it premieres, and I hope the second ep sets up a good structure for how the rest of the season will unfold.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ripping off the opening scene from Lost probably isn't a good indicator of how this series will go down.  Because Ethan Burke waking up with the camera on his eye lying on his back in the middle of the woods is pretty much how Lost started.

Apparently Ethan has some guilt-related issues in his law enforcement history, but then don't we all. </snark>

Ethan wanders in the lovely little mountain town of Wayward Pines, Idaho and goes into a bar where he collapses on the floor.

How could neither of them (Ethan and his new partner, Agent Stallings) not notice the fact that a tractor trailer was coming right at them ?  And since the airbags didn't go off they should both be dead. So, Ethan survived the accident but his partner was incinerated.  That can't be good.  And Ethan is with the Secret Service and they are looking for two missing agents.

Ethan's nurse is just a little bit whack-a-doo -- and obviously doesn't know how cell phone works, so they are noticeably intentionally keeping Ethan in the dark.

There are no crickets in Wayward Pines -- but there are speakers mimicking crickets. Why is that exactly ? 

The motel owner is super creepy and the address the friendly waitress gave him is a dilapidated house that looks like no one has lived there in a long time, only to find a dead body tied to a bed that had obviously been there a while.  And its the missing secret service agent.

Quirky small town sheriff eating rum raisin ice cream -- I believe ice cream is the new cherry pie.  Not a big fan of Terrence Howard -- they couldn't find someone with better acting chops to pull off the role of a local sheriff that doesn't give a shit.  Who cast this ?

And after the scuffle at the bar, we get the reveal that the bartender is part of some grand conspiracy.

Tobey Jones shows up as Ethan's psychiatrist and Ethan has been restrained back in the hospital -- I hope this is the real Tobey Jones and not some AI program. </MCU>

Beverley rescues him from the surgeon, but for some reason she is dripping wet.  Really, really, really wet.  Ethan gets the drop on nurse Crazy, and knocks her to the floor as the drugs she injected him with kick in and heads off with Beverley.  Beverley takes him to a crypt in the middle of a cemetery. And Beverley thinks its the year 2000 when it is really 2014.

Ethan's wife is concerned that he is missing, and asks Secret Service agent Adam if Ethan is "with her".  Her who ?  Ethan gets dressed in some clothes that Beverley left him and starts wandering through town and spots the missing Secret Service agent, Kate, in the park.  Is this missing agent the "with her" that Ethan's wife is concerned about ?

Hey, it's Reed Diamond. I thought Dr. Whitehall was dead. </MCU>  And Kate, the missing agent, fills in Ethan that "they" are watching us.  And that she has been there for 12 years despite the fact that Ethan was "with her" 5 weeks ago.  Ethan then asks Kate if he's having a relapse -- a relapse from what exactly ?  But Kate shakes her head no.

Ethan steals a car and drives off and leaves town -- except that Wayward Pines is kind of like the Hotel California and Ethan is caught in an endless loop of leaving and re-entering town while driving on the same road.  Ethan finally gets out of the car and hightails in through the woods.

Secret service agent Adam is apparently part of the conspiracy against Ethan -- because why exactly -- as he meets with Tobey Jones in Seattle -- so there is a way out of Wayward Pines.

Ethan encounters a big fucking fence that sounds electrified, but is also responsible for keeping him in Wayward Pines in his car -- so, magic fence that can warp space and time ?  Sure, why not ?  And the fence has big signs that say risk of death beyond this point. 

And Ethan gets busted by the sheriff who tells him that you can't ever leave.  One problem -- Ethan's car was all alone on the road and immediately after Ethan gets in the car the police car is just appears magically out of nowhere.

My guess is that this is all in Ethan's head and this show is a poor man's version Twin Peaks crossed with the movie 'Identity' that starred John Cusack.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

I've read this was "Twin Peaks"-like and was intrigued. Watched the pilot to the very end and... was not. At some point it would have been fresh and amazing, but I feel that this premise was done over and over - most recently in "Ascension". Furthermore, this being a M. N. Shyamalan thing, it instantly reminded me of "The Village", which is just the worst impression.

magic fence that can warp space and time ?

No. There is no indication this is a hallucination or purgatory/hell or anything other than a government-sanctioned project, not so far. (Which says nothing as early reviews said to expect major twists, of course.) The road must have been circular. He hadn't noticed it while driving because no one expects a road that serves no actual transportation purposes.

What I don't see is any non-superficial similarity with Twin Peaks. Eff you, WP marketing!

• Love 1
No. There is no indication this is a hallucination or purgatory/hell or anything other than a government-sanctioned project, not so far. (Which says nothing as early reviews said to expect major twists, of course.)

There are some weird time shenanigans going on -- the missing agent that Ethan was looking for (the one that's not dead) says she has been in Wayward Pines for 12 years when she has only been missing for a month.  And then Beverly thinks she has only been there a year and its the year 2000, so she gets a little freaked when Ethan tells her its 2014.

I've read this was "Twin Peaks"-like and was intrigued. Watched the pilot to the very end and... was not. At some point it would have been fresh and amazing, but I feel that this premise was done over and over - most recently in "Ascension".

Considering that Ascension started promising and then turned into all kinds of WTFery, this doesn't bode well for Wayward Pines since it isn't even starting off well.

I watched the first episode, then found out it was a book, which I inhaled in one day. All I can say is that the book was really good, the ending had me absolutely floored. The first episode seemed to follow the book pretty closely, so I look forward to seeing if they can pull off all the twists and turns from the book.

• Love 7

My guess is that this is all in Ethan's head and this show is a poor man's version Twin Peaks crossed with the movie 'Identity' that starred John Cusack.

Having read the books, I really enjoyed reading your synopsis.    I love story lines like this, where while I'm reading/watching, I'm trying to piece together what is going on from the clues I have been given.

Your train of thought is exactly what I remember going through.

The answer (IMO) is greater than you can imagine, and you're looking at all the right pieces, but haven't come to the right conclusion yet.

I love the books, and I hope I enjoy the show even though I know the answers to all the questions you're puzzling through.

My advise is to keep watching.  Avoid spoilers at all costs, and enjoy the ride.

• Love 4
The answer (IMO) is greater than you can imagine, and you're looking at all the right pieces, but haven't come to the right conclusion yet.

The only thing that doesn't fit into my original premise is the stuff with the wife and son in Seattle, but there are men there that appear to know what's going on with Ethan -- so maybe there's also a dash of 'Cabin in the Woods' with a mysterious gov't agency doing all this for some bigger ulterior purpose.

• Love 1

I saw the first episode as well showed me enough to be curious enough to watch more....

If you ain't got real crickets then why even feel the need to fake the sound of having them? Is hearing crickets really THAT necessary to have?

• Love 2

I'm another one who's read the books, and I have to agree with Kobo Duram that the revelations of what was really going on, in the books at least, had me floored. Of all the things I had speculated, I didn't even come close. I'm not 100% sure if I want to watch the show. 10 episodes almost seems like too little time to cover everything in the three books, but I guess that's all about pacing. I'm also not a huge Matt Dillon fan, so I was disappointed when I saw that he'd been cast, although I've heard he's quite good.

@orientalamish: I think I would really notice if crickets were missing, especially in the spring or summertime. Every time the crickets stop around my house I freak out a little (it's usually a harbringer of something bad). Maybe it depends on where you're from how unsettling it might be?

• Love 1

I'm glad to hear this is based on a book that everyone seems to like, because as a previous poster said, it seems it could go either way. I enjoy all the Twilight Zone stuff going on, but the acting seems odd, as do some of the camera angles. Everything seems a bit forced and over the top. I will stick with it because its the type of show I love, I just hope it pays off.

• Love 1

It turns out that that isn't the type of show one can "watch" (have on in the background while doing something else), which I quickly learned tonight. The biggest thing I got out of the episode was being thrilled when Matt Dillon slammed the nurse into the wall. And then there was a lot of, "OMG, what is he doing on this show?!" Like, seeing Terrence Howard in anything but his over the top ensembles on Empire is a weird feeling. Same with Juliette Lewis looking much less frigid than she does on Secrets & Lies.

But, uh, yea... that's pretty much all I got. 

• Love 3

I will probably watch this (since The Blacklist ended tonight) but so far I'm not really hooked.  It might be the actors.  I'm not a fan of Terrence Howard, and not really Matt Dillon, either.  Toby Jones is always good, though.  And was that Clive from iZombie? 

So far, it seems like he's hallucinating everything. 

• Love 2

I know this is a stretch but the townspeople remind me of that Twilight Zone episode where Billy Mumy played Anthony who would wish you into the cornfield if you didn't follow his rules.

So far I like it, Dillon is a little more straight and heavy handed than what I was expecting, but everyone else so far has a bit of a lilt in their step that intrigues me--I think this kind of story needs a bit of wit to enrich it.

• Love 2

Wow, I thought Juliett Lewis seemed odd and emotionless (I found myself watching her forehead to see if it ever moved), I can't imagine what she's like in Secrets & Lies.

I thought she was awful in Secrets and Lies (her entire acting repertoire consisted of grimacing and moving her jaw in a weird way) until the very end when she let her hair down. I thought she was a lot less stiff in this. 

• Love 5

It was intriguing.  

The cast in the town of Wayward Pines helps keep your attention.  It was only when Toby Jones showed up unexpectedly that I snapped to  during an non-Pines segment. 

I appreciate that WP has such saturated colors (wherever they film is lovely!). The faded-ness of Wifeville makes sense, as tropey as it is.  

I am curious about the main questions, still: a) Where is Matt Dillon and b) why?

Unless things go drastically south, I may have a summer mystery that doesn't make me Dome-r!

• Love 4

DAMN IT!  Yesterday I remembered this show was on tonight, but then totally forgot to watch tonight. D'OH! Short term memory sucks!

Oh well, thank the tv gods for On Demand.  I'll swing by here tomorrow and read some more reviews,but I'll still watch even if there are negative thoughts.  I do love me some quirky town shows.

• Love 2

Add me to the list of people who's read the books and I thought the first episode was really well done.  The town is exactly how I pictured in the book and have no problems with the casting.  At first I was concerned about the casting of Pam, since she is much older in the show than the book, but the actress pulls it off.  I'm a fan of Terrance Howard so I was thrilled that he was playing Sheriff Pope.  No one plays a slimy, low down SOB like Terrance!lol  So far, i'm very happy with the direction of the show and hope they can replicate what was a fantastic book.

Oh, if you haven't read the books, please AVOID ALL SPOILERS!   I promise you the ending will be worth it!

• Love 3

This was a decent pilot.  I've read all the books and loved the first two, wasn't really pleased with the third.  I'm kinda concerned that this show has been completed for a year and that it's only being released now.  This makes me a bit worried about

possibly bad cgi that will be used.

.  I like the actors that were cast.  I don't mind age lift Pam and race lift Pope. 

And was that Clive from iZombie?

Yep, that was Malcolm Goodwin as Ethan's psychiatrist or whatever he was.  But, yeah, I'm so use to him on iZombie now, that I was like "What are you doing, Clive?  Get back to Seattle and help Liv with this Blaine problem."

It.... kept my interest at least, but at this point, I'm really not even going to pretend to figure out what is really going on.  Right now, it looks like it's people are getting kidnapped and locked up in Wayward Pines, which is surrounded by an electric fence of some kind. And, it's possible their brains are getting messed with and that's why some aren't resisting?  But then there are others like Beverly and Kate, who seems to know they are trapped, but are playing along.  And it certainly looks like Ethan's agent buddy is in on it, since he was meeting with Dr. Toby Jones near the end.  But, really: this could all be in Ethan's head for all I know.

They spared no expense with the cast, huh?  Enjoyed the past connections like from Crash co-stars, Matt Dillon and Terrence Howard together; plus two former Homicide: Life on the Street folks with both Melissa Leo and Reed Diamond.  And of course I know other actors from various things, like Toby Jones, Juliette Lewis, Tim Griffin, and Shannyn Sossamon.  And then, of course, Carla Gugino, who is the main reason I'll no doubt watch this entire thing.  She will never not be gorgeous.

I liked the look of it, but M. Night Shyamalan's involvement is still my biggest hurdle going forward.  Use to be a fan, but you've screwed me over too many times, Shyamalan!  You must still repent for The Happening!

• Love 3
(edited)

There are some weird time shenanigans going on -- the missing agent that Ethan was looking for (the one that's not dead) says she has been in Wayward Pines for 12 years when she has only been missing for a month.  And then Beverly thinks she has only been there a year and its the year 2000, so she gets a little freaked when Ethan tells her its 2014.

IIRC, Beverly mentioned she arrived in WP because she had a car accident, like Ethan, and that in the hospital they found out she had some problem with her brain or memory (I honestly can't remember). Considering they were about to submit Ethan to surgery for similar reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if, somehow, they mess up with people's cognition of time.

I will definitively watch episode #2. At first I was a bit skeptical, because as soon as I saw the first scene (the main character's eye opening before finding out he's in the woods, injured, in his suit and tie) I thought: "Really? Do you know this is how Lost started, don't you?" and I am and always will be a huge, huge Lost fan.

That said, at the moment I'm intrigued enough to keep watching.

Edited by penelope79
  • Love 4

I also read the books - grabbed them based on promos for this series. They are ..... all right. That said, I do not see how there would be a problem getting the content of the books into 10 hours of television. I enjoyed the books. Good, not great, and watched the first episode, ditto.

Will probably keep watching, but not with rapt attention other than to see how they handle certain aspects.

I liked the first episode well enough and will continue watching, but I need that umbrella the doctor was carrying! It was magnificent and looked like it could possibly cover that whole block in Seattle.

• Love 5

My first impression is Twilight Zone meets Under the Dome, it just doesn't seem compelling enough to me, like it's something i've seen before.

I think i'll know if i'm gonna like this after the next one or two episodes.

• Love 1

Feels a bit derivative, but I think I'm in. I watch a lot of horror films, so nothing really scares me except the trope where the protagonist can't leave the haunted house or town, so this is pretty terrifying for me. Juliette Lewis who's been stuck there for 15 years?! Terrifying.  I enjoyed the weird 50s vibe, but again it seemed like nothing I hadn't really seen before. Although it is nice that we're seeing the outside, with people looking for Matt Dillon. 

I thought the cricket speakers in the grass were listening devices, not speakers. Fail on my part. 

• Love 1
I thought the cricket speakers in the grass were listening devices, not speakers. Fail on my part.

I thought they were kind of two way - playing the crickets but also listening devices. I thought that because in all the previews the characters kept saying things like "They're listening"

• Love 6

Once the bartender referred to Ethan with a number, I got even more of a "The Prisoner" vibe (throw in the happy townspeople, idyllic setting, the ubiquitous person(s) in control, the government conspiracy angle, and a device designed to keep you from escaping). I'll continue watching but hope the derivative-ness doesn't become too distracting.

• Love 2

Does anyone know if the show will be covering all three books, or just the first one? I've heard both theories.

The onscreen text in the credits said it was based on the "books" not "book", so I'm guessing all. But for all I know that might just be phrasing that was negotiated and/or they have the rights to all the books, but the one season might only be the first, leaving room for additional limited series to cover the others if they wanted.
  • Love 3
The onscreen text in the credits said it was based on the "books" not "book", so I'm guessing all. But for all I know that might just be phrasing that was negotiated and/or they have the rights to all the books, but the one season might only be the first, leaving room for additional limited series to cover the others if they wanted.

I haven't read the books, but what if M. Night decides to take it up on himself to diverge from the source material, possibly in a substantial way ?

I watched and it seems interesting. I hope it does not go the way of UTD.

I watched the show on my DVR. As I was racing past the commercials I noticed a commercial about a man looking for his wife and there was a sign that said Wayward Pines 11 miles. I think the name of the show was Gone. Is there any similarites to this show?

I'm glad to hear this is based on a book that everyone seems to like, because as a previous poster said, it seems it could go either way. I enjoy all the Twilight Zone stuff going on, but the acting seems odd, as do some of the camera angles. Everything seems a bit forced and over the top. I will stick with it because its the type of show I love, I just hope it pays off.

I think once the cards are all on the table, you'll appreciate the acting more.

The only thing that doesn't fit into my original premise is the stuff with the wife and son in Seattle, but there are men there that appear to know what's going on with Ethan -- so maybe there's also a dash of 'Cabin in the Woods' with a mysterious gov't agency doing all this for some bigger ulterior purpose.

Please keep discussing your thought process, because it brings me back to a time when I was going through the same thing.

I love the dissection.

I'm guessing you'll like the reveal, especially analyzing all the pieces that didn't fit when you were thinking this through.

(edited)

I watched it a couple of weeks ago on Hulu. I'll keep watching, if for no other reason than to find out how it ends.

Lots of weirdness, obviously, but at times it almost felt a little too weird. It looks like it has potential though, and since it's only 10 episodes it doesn't really require that much of a long term commitment.

BTW, I think Melissa Leo is a shape-shifter. I didn't realize she was playing the nurse until the credits. The same thing happened when I watched Prisoners.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392214

Edited by Accidental Martyr
  • Love 2

IIRC, Beverly mentioned she arrived in WP because she had a car accident, like Ethan, and that in the hospital they found out she had some problem with her brain or memory (I honestly can't remember). Considering they were about to submit Ethan to surgery for similar reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if, somehow, they mess up with people's cognition of time.

Man I love reading people's attempts at dechipering what is going on...

(edited)

I watched and it seems interesting. I hope it does not go the way of UTD.

I watched the show on my DVR. As I was racing past the commercials I noticed a commercial about a man looking for his wife and there was a sign that said Wayward Pines 11 miles. I think the name of the show was Gone. Is there any similarites to this show?

It's essentially a series of online commercials for Microsoft Surface masquerading as a mystery...and they have the nerve to run an actual commercial for the Surface before the commercial-as-mystery. You can watch here.

I really enjoyed the show and I'm looking forward to the next episode. I've never read or even heard of the books so I have no idea where this is going, which is great! Plus since it is based on books it probably won't turn into a frustrating, make-it-up-as-you-go-along mess.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 5

I appreciate that WP has such saturated colors (wherever they film is lovely!). The faded-ness of Wifeville makes sense, as tropey as it is.  

Wayward Pines is the real town of Agassiz, B.C.  Info on filming locations, etc.  : http://yvrshoots.com/category/wayward-pines

I'm in.  Just please don't let the bookwalkers give us any "helpful hints" and I'll be happy to stumble around in the dark dark woods.  :-)

• Love 7

I'd never heard of this show until I saw a promo a couple weeks ago and thought the premise seemed interesting, and it did not disappoint.  It has a fantastic cast, and the characters all seem interesting enough.  I did find Nurse Pam a little over the top, but I didn't really mind since it seemed to lend itself to the sense of other-worldliness which is intriguing. 

I'm in.  Just please don't let the bookwalkers give us any "helpful hints" and I'll be happy to stumble around in the dark dark woods.  :-)

I'm not a spoiler-phobe, but there a couple of shows I watch that I'd prefer not to be spoiled at all, and this seems like it will be one of them.  It seems like it will be fun trying to put the pieces together. 

I really hope this show does well and that they are careful with the writing, because I've seen too many shows/movies that start off with a great sense of mystery and intrigue that totally get turned upsidedown with inconsistencies in the story telling.  That said, I'm on for the ride!

• Love 5

I have read the books but I promise not to spoil/hint. ;)

I also wasn't a fan of the opening shot being so Lost-ish but I can't really think of a better way to show someone waking up in the woods so I'll give them a pass. I do love the look of the town. I wasn't sure if the flipping back and forth between Wayward Pines and outside would be confusing or not but I think it was pretty well done. I also squealed "Clive!" when I saw him on the screen. I do think I like Juliette Lewis better in this show than in Secrets & Lies (although she did grow on me at the end). Overall I thought the set-up was pretty solid and I can't way to see it unfold. I really hope the networks start adding more limited episode mystery shows. I love trying to fit the pieces together and figure out how it will work out. They do tend to go off the rails when they add too many seasons (I'm looking at you, Lost) and it just feels lazy to drag shows on forever rather than develop new ones. 

• Love 4

I haven't read the books, but what if M. Night decides to take it up on himself to diverge from the source material, possibly in a substantial way ?

Then I suspect we shall all be sorely disappointed.

Does anyone know if this is a passion project for him or if possibly he were just brought in as a name and to direct the first ep, and might not maybe be involved very much moving forward? (Sort of like JJ Abrams with Lost)

Because I've gotta say, I watched the whole thing thinking "yeah I could get into this, but I have no faith Shyamalan won't ruin it." And it's sort of holding me back a little in letting myself become invested.

• Love 1

I liked it but it seems like your standard virtual world created to help him / it's residents through their issues / PTSD storyline, hence the Dream Lord, so I'm hoping for some surprises. I've never even heard of the books before their mention here so I'll check them out after the show is over.

(edited)

That was pretty bad. No hint of humor, the show takes itself overly serious, the main lead is dull as hell and absolutely unlikable - can someone explain me why should I care what happens to him? His reactions were predictable and boring and I've found myself wishing he were just a bit self-aware and intelligent. Actually, I could say this about the show. There's not a hint of originality there - and I could live with it if the characters were a tiny bit more interesting and likable, but I just don't give a damn. Crazy nurse was probably the only one who's impressed me.

Pass.

PS Now that I think about it, the lead guy reminded me of the protagonist of the show Strain, whom I've hated profoundly after the first 15 minutes. This one isn't quite as bad but seems to project the same "white rich guy in a mid-life crisis" thing that is an automatic turn-off for me. God I hate Strain.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

PS Now that I think about it, the lead guy reminded me of the protagonist of the show Strain, whom I've hated profoundly after the first 15 minutes. This one isn't quite as bad but seems to project the same "white rich guy in a mid-life crisis" thing that is an automatic turn-off for me. God I hate Strain.

Oh you mean the generic male lead who gets hurt a lot throughout the series (the same cuts/bruises on the face no less), who goes around trying to look for answers but never does because the writers keep piling on mysteries until the end with some convoluted bs explanation.

• Love 1

There are two other things that stood out for me:

1) In the flashback scene at the start of the episode when Ethan is talking to the psychiatrist about some "Easter Bombings" that were caused by a guy that Ethan was trailing that Ethan blames himself for when the psychiatrist asks "Have there been any more hallucinations ?".  Ethan's response is about a few nightmares but nothing "like he was experiencing before".

2) When Ethan is at Kate's house, as she is re-entering her house, Ethan asks her "if it is happening again ? Am I having a relapse ?", but Kate shakes her head no.  Of course that's something that a hallucination would do.

Obviously the first hallucinations occurred before the events in Wayward Pines when Kate was still his partner, but what happened to Ethan before that caused him to hallucinate and what exactly did he hallucinate ? 

• Love 6