Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

I am exhausted by the pandemic too. On the other hand, when I see people on TV not social distancing, it pulls me out of the scene because distancing is so normal now.

21 hours ago, Anela said:

They will probably all be needed for the influx of emergencies.

Masked, behind a face shield, trying to decide whether to intubate or not. I'm sure they will find a way to make up a surgical emergency in there but we won't be able to see faces.

General Hospital's nod to the pandemic this week was bad. Grey's needs to do better.

• Love 2

I assume one of the benefits of such a bloated cast is that they can stagger characters in each episodes.

Camilla Luddington is due to give birth anyday now if she hasn’t already so She probably won’t be back in the first few episodes. Jo is one of the few characters who’s potential storylines isn’t going to feel like a lather rinse repeat of every season they’ve featured in. Is Owen has women trouble with Amelia or Teddy, Meredith is a groundbreaking surgeon who’s career is threatened, Maggie experiences “adorkable” Hijinks, someone mentions Jackson being good looking. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/20/2020 at 11:23 PM, Anela said:

They will probably all be needed for the influx of emergencies. 

I'm also not looking forward to it being all over fictional TV. I'm finally to a point where I can concentrate to read a bit, or watch a show, cooking more, too (although I'm still not baking bread). Everyone I know is experiencing fatigue when it comes to quarantine (if they've mostly avoided things), and/or from trying to keep their kids occupied, and figure out school. My life didn't change that much, but I've still worried, along with everyone else. 

The problem is, I don't see Grey's making this look "realistic" enough for any of their characters. Even if they "skip" as they have said in interviews. There are just things you can't do on TV that are really happening to medical institutes and so forth. In fact, I doubt Grey's would talk about how patient rooms are more clean than their own hallways. I mean you have hospitals where patients don't have to wear a mask because the rooms are so clean, but nursing and doctors DO HAVE TO wear a mask when they go from room to room. Plus, proper ways which is to sanitize hands before removing masks or putting them on. Now, people at home, talking about things and more facetime with video conferences. Yes, in fact could drastically reduce filming and show costs as a result making things easier on filming in general. Hell, they want to keep with the entire Owen/Teddy crap. Them being stuck at home most of the time, force them to confront all the crap they have been keeping secret and could lead to a full split up. Which has been happening to many couples during this time. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, readster said:

Hell, they want to keep with the entire Owen/Teddy crap. Them being stuck at home most of the time, force them to confront all the crap they have been keeping secret and could lead to a full split up. Which has been happening to many couples during this time. 

That's a good idea. 

Last I recall, Meredith was supposed to get a drink with that new doctor. They seemed to be showing interest on both sides. That wouldn't happen for a while now, unless it ends up being okay, because they work together, and spend a lot of time at the hospital, so they share a "bubble". I wasn't watching it all the time, but I did see the finale. Amelia and Link have their baby to take care of. The guy Maggie met at the conference, I think he was hired for this season. 

• Love 1

https://tvline.com/2020/10/28/greys-anatomy-season-17-premiere-spoilers-richard-koracick-fight/

In the first of the two Grey’s episodes, “All Tomorrow’s Parties” (9/8c that Thursday), “It’s all hands on deck” as we join the doctors of Grey Sloan one month into the COVID-19 pandemic. As showrunner Krista Vernoff told TVLine in September, it’s “a whole new world for our hospital and for all of our characters.” Yet in at least one way, it will be business as usual: Patients will be flying through the doors, as Station 19‘s first responders bring in individuals for treatment following an unintentionally started fire. (Oops.)

In the second Grey’s installment, “The Center Won’t Hold” (airing at 10/9c), “Bailey finds herself in the middle of an argument with patients’ families as they await news about their children who were injured” in the aforementioned blaze. And on the personal front, Teddy learns that her colleagues know more about her, um, situation with Owen than she’d like (in other words, more than nothing), her loverboy Koracick goes at it with Richard (clearly back to his feisty old self post-op), Amelia and Link make the most of their new mom-and-pop operation, and Winston surprises Maggie.

Since Anthony Hill, who plays Pierce’s new love interest, was made a series regular along with Richard Flood (Cormac) ahead of Season 17, we’re gonna go out on a limb and guess that Winston’s decided to relocate to Seattle.

Someone on reddit said something interesting. They said that Meredith saying "excuse me" in the preview is a hint as to who's coming back in the next episode.

I think that the reddit poster could be right. I will go back to Netflix and see if she said it to George, Lexie, or Mark when she first met them.

ETA: I went back and looked. Meredith said "excuse me" to Mark when she was cleaning up his face after Derek punched him. If the reddit poster is right, it will be Mark.

Edited by Libby
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Libby said:

Someone on reddit said something interesting. They said that Meredith saying "excuse me" in the preview is a hint as to who's coming back in the next episode.

I think that the reddit poster could be right. I will go back to Netflix and see if she said it to George, Lexie, or Mark when she first met them.

ETA: I went back and looked. Meredith said "excuse me" to Mark when she was cleaning up his face after Derek punched him. If the reddit poster is right, it will be Mark.

And Eric Dane posted more greys related things latelty... 

• Love 2

I have a theory based on the Maggie/Teddy stairwell scene in 17x3 where Maggie asked Teddy if she was for sure that she had this (Meredith's case), because Maggie couldn't be the doctor, she had to be the sister. Basically she told Teddy to leave her personal drama at the door and be 100% focused on Mer.

Tom came down with Covid and has to quarantine. Her relationship with Owen is shaky these days, Owen still seems to be avoiding her when he can. DeLuca is on the case team but he is a newly-minted attending. Something could happen to Meredith symptom-wise affecting her case that Teddy misses or diagnoses incorrectly because she is too preoccupied with Tom/Owen/whatever. Meredith dies. It is full circle because it relates to the way Derek died at the Dillard hospital - the high ranking doctors missed the bleed, wouldn't get the head CT and Derek died. (Bonus points if newly-minted attending DeLuca sees whatever the problem is and is overruled, shades of Perfect Penny.)

25 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Is this the final season?  I do wonder if they're going to kill Meredith off.  Not that I'd be sad or anything.

I don't think they'd kill off Meredith but it definitely has a last season vibe so far with the cameos and the call back in the operating room with Richard. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Is this the final season?  I do wonder if they're going to kill Meredith off.  Not that I'd be sad or anything.

I hope they won't kill her. Just because of her children, young children, who already lost their father. 

• Love 1
Just now, Snow Fairy said:

I hope they won't kill her. Just because of her children, young children, who already lost their father. 

I know the kids would be sad and that would be awful for them, but I'm just saying I wouldn't be sad.

• Love 1

The original line was as long as Ellen Pompeo wants to do it, that's how long the show will go.  I think recently she's hinted that she's about done with it, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last season.  It's in the top ten of longest running shows already.

I seem to remember some speculation from last season that they were going to kill off a character, possibly Jackson, but that was scrapped when they wrapped the season early.  I wonder if they're still planning on killing off a character and was wondering if it would be Richard instead.  He's older, he could get COVID...

12 hours ago, madmax said:

The original line was as long as Ellen Pompeo wants to do it, that's how long the show will go.  I think recently she's hinted that she's about done with it, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last season.  It's in the top ten of longest running shows already.

I seem to remember some speculation from last season that they were going to kill off a character, possibly Jackson, but that was scrapped when they wrapped the season early.  I wonder if they're still planning on killing off a character and was wondering if it would be Richard instead.  He's older, he could get COVID...

All the contracts end this year, so you do wonder. I mean honestly as the first three episodes proved. They are showing just how half the cast is useless and has no stories left. I mean Richard back in charge of the residents/interns again? That's been his schicht since day 1. Richard HAS to be in charge of something. Everyone falls over Meredith because she is the Sun. Another group of interns who most will be dead or fired or will leave in about 10 episodes. Check. Schimdt still useless and acting like he is a high school kid just out of the closet. Check. Teddy blaming everyone for her problems, but her. Check. Owen useless and tired of a character. Check-aroni!

• Love 2
On 11/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, Libby said:

Meredith's first line to Mark was, "Sensitivity - I like that in a stranger."  

• Useful 1
On 11/20/2020 at 4:34 PM, Snow Fairy said:

I don't want them to kill Meredith because -- she Meredith Grey! Jeese! No. Just -- NO!

• Love 1

They are going to pull the same trick from when George died.  You think it will be Izzy that dies, and it is George.  Koracick is a goner.

I'm one of those people that loves to re-watch shows that are no longer on the air, especially since the advent of streaming services.  But if a show's ending leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it is dead to me (hello "How I Met Your Mother".  Killing off Mer or Richard or Bailey would be the end for me.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dshgr said:

They are going to pull the same trick from when George died.  You think it will be Izzy that dies, and it is George.  Koracick is a goner.

I'm one of those people that loves to re-watch shows that are no longer on the air, especially since the advent of streaming services.  But if a show's ending leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it is dead to me (hello "How I Met Your Mother".  Killing off Mer or Richard or Bailey would be the end for me.

I feel ya. Black Sails did it to me when they killed off Eleanor. Now I will never re-watch the show - it is dead to me.

If they kill off Mere it will be the same thing. The entire 17 seasons will be dead to me. Forever.

2 hours ago, dshgr said:

The previews for next week show that she's supposedly getting better. 

Also, Ellen Pompeo IS the show.  She's one of the highest paid TV actresses in the world.  They all know that if they kill her, the show is over and the fans are gone.  I just don't see that happening.  IMO, the show will end when Ellen is ready to walk away, and it'll have a decent enough ending that people are happy.

• Love 2

I still watch Greys, but I personally wouldn't mind if the show ended after this season. In my pov the show has been on air longer than it needed to, but Ellen said that she just couldn't refuse the money they offered her which is why the show is still on air. Alive? Not so much,because I don't see any decent storylines anymore,but I want to know how the show is going to end which is why I'm still around. 

In the German press rumors are going around that this season might be the last,because Ellen is demanding more money...but it's just that: A rumor.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Spritti12 said:

In the German press rumors are going around that this season might be the last,because Ellen is demanding more money...but it's just that: A rumor.

And they’ll pay it. Greys is one of the network’s highest rated shows.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

It's the only show on ABC that I watch.  It has to still be their moneymaker.  I know people who watch The Bachelor(ette) and A Million Little Things but I don't hear talk of any other ABC shows anymore.  And let's face it, The Bachelor(ette) is absolute trash and a lawsuit waiting to happen...

19 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Greys being one of the highest rated shows of the network doesn't say much. A 1.2 rating in the important adult 18-49 group is very low. If the rumors are true (it's said that Ellen demands 4.2 million dollars MORE for each season) I have my doubts that they will be able to pay that without having to fire someone else. Plus...I'm sure she won't be the only one wanting more money. Networks have to figure out if it's rentable to let a show remain on air for much longer when it's only there to pay the insane salary of the shows star.🤷‍♀️ 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Spritti12 said:

Greys being one of the highest rated shows of the network doesn't say much. A 1.2 rating in the important adult 18-49 group is very low. If the rumors are true (it's said that Ellen demands 4.2 million dollars MORE for each season) I have my doubts that they will be able to pay that without having to fire someone else. Plus...I'm sure she won't be the only one wanting more money. Networks have to figure out if it's rentable to let a show remain on air for much longer when it's only there to pay the insane salary of the shows star.🤷‍♀️ 

Yep and that's gotten other shows cancelled sooner because of paying more of the actors. Hell, some shows have tried to remain in their status with decent to OK ratings by firing various actors and cutting down shows to make sure they can "afford them" and it turned them into crap a whole lot faster. 

• Love 1
On 12/4/2020 at 12:40 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Also, Ellen Pompeo IS the show.  She's one of the highest paid TV actresses in the world.  They all know that if they kill her, the show is over and the fans are gone.

I have a morbid curiosity in what a S18 without EP would look like

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, readster said:

Yep and that's gotten other shows cancelled sooner because of paying more of the actors. Hell, some shows have tried to remain in their status with decent to OK ratings by firing various actors and cutting down shows to make sure they can "afford them" and it turned them into crap a whole lot faster. 

Exactly! You also have to ask yourself why networks cling to shows that have been on air as long as Grey's is now...to me it looks like they simply don't have anything better as a replacement, so it's logical to stick with the long-running show as long as the ratings don't decline to an all-time-low. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Spritti12 said:

Exactly! You also have to ask yourself why networks cling to shows that have been on air as long as Grey's is now...to me it looks like they simply don't have anything better as a replacement, so it's logical to stick with the long-running show as long as the ratings don't decline to an all-time-low. 

Oh that's exactly it. All these others hows from Shondaland have ended for a couple of reasons. 1. They lost in ratings. 2. The main actors were ready to move on. 3. Even the writers were: "We can't do this anymore. 4. The network said: "it's getting expensive and you don't have the ratings and half of you are ready to leave the show, so it's been fun." 

Grey's honestly, has nothing to fill in the void, in fact if the show left say this year and they gave Station 19 another year, I would bet dollars to donutes it be gone by that season. It doesn't have big enough ratings or anything to keep it going longer. Even as a spin off of Grey's, even Private Practice didn't go past 7 years. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, readster said:

Oh that's exactly it. All these others hows from Shondaland have ended for a couple of reasons. 1. They lost in ratings. 2. The main actors were ready to move on. 3. Even the writers were: "We can't do this anymore. 4. The network said: "it's getting expensive and you don't have the ratings and half of you are ready to leave the show, so it's been fun." 

Grey's honestly, has nothing to fill in the void, in fact if the show left say this year and they gave Station 19 another year, I would bet dollars to donutes it be gone by that season. It doesn't have big enough ratings or anything to keep it going longer. Even as a spin off of Grey's, even Private Practice didn't go past 7 years. 

I agree with the majority of your post,but I think PP would have been able to go on for another 2 years or something if the main actress hadn't asked to leave. Kate wanted to move on which is the main reason why the show ended. 

But you are right. Grey's has nothing to fill in the void but I doubt,that if the rumors are true and Ellen really demands that amount of money that the network will agree. The article I've read also said that there is (supposedly of course) an actress who would play the role of Meredith and demanding much less than Ellen,but I think that wouldn't work...Who wants to see a Meredith that isn't Ellen Pompeo? 😄

• Love 3

If the show wanted to go on with a reduced role for Meredith, they can just give the character long haul Covid but keep the focus on the hospital. Meredith could continue to recuperate off-screen via Maggie and Amelia and she could still show up every few episodes for doctor's appointments and to make diagnoses and everyone can lament Meredith's lost surgical and curse Covid for dimming her shining light. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Patrick Dempsey will be back.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/greys-anatomy-final-season-patrick-dempsey-returns-1234865876/?cx_testId=49&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

This article also says that the show hasn't been renewed yet, nor has Ellen Pompeo's contract which is up this year.  

It's pretty obvious to me that Derek returns to either (a) send Meredith back to their kids and the land of the living, or, (b) in the event that the show is done, welcome Meredith to the other side with open arms.  That would be a fitting ending, IMO.  (No one has ever really cared about their kids, so why start now. 😉 )

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Patrick Dempsey will be back.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/greys-anatomy-final-season-patrick-dempsey-returns-1234865876/?cx_testId=49&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

This article also says that the show hasn't been renewed yet, nor has Ellen Pompeo's contract which is up this year.  

It's pretty obvious to me that Derek returns to either (a) send Meredith back to their kids and the land of the living, or, (b) in the event that the show is done, welcome Meredith to the other side with open arms.  That would be a fitting ending, IMO.  (No one has ever really cared about their kids, so why start now. 😉 )

Right and since so many shows have reduced seasons this year, it would give an excuse to either play this up or bring it to an end.

• Love 5

Considering that DeLuca and Carina were chasing the Red Head trafficker on a high speed chase when things ended, plus given the morality problems Amelia and Owen had with saving Bob's life. I think they are going to probably have it where she goes off the road, badly hurt and they will have to save her, even though they should just let her suffer and die since she has done much, much worst. Of course, also bring it up to probably also find out where her victims are and will have to give another excuse to save her life.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Deluca, I think, is toast.  So much praise about his life and how he's handling his illness- it's like they were eulogizing him.  We'll see what happens in...whenever they come back for the rest of the season.  I wish they'd write off Owen instead.

I was thinking the same thing. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Anela said:

I was thinking the same thing. 

They seriously how NO PLACE left to go with Teddy, they not only wrote her into a corner, but to the point the other characters are like: "WTF is wrong with you?" They also have to drop Schimdt's entire: "Wow, I never something like that could happen." He comes across as just dumb, yet they show he and Jo do have a real friendship and so forth. HOWEVER... Levi is living with her because he doesn't want to live with his mom anymore. So, he can pay his half of the rent/mortgage on the flat, yet move out on his own? Parish the thought.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Deluca, I think, is toast.  So much praise about his life and how he's handling his illness- it's like they were eulogizing him.  We'll see what happens in...whenever they come back for the rest of the season.  I wish they'd write off Owen instead.

I think if he had gone alone on his motorcycle, maybe, but Karina said she'd drive so they jumped into a car.  I don't know that they can recycle the same storyline of good-doctor-guy-gets-killed-while-doing-something-heroic *again*.  Isn't that how both George and Derek died??  Please, show writers, come up with something new!

• Love 6
On 12/20/2020 at 10:12 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I think if he had gone alone on his motorcycle, maybe, but Karina said she'd drive so they jumped into a car.  I don't know that they can recycle the same storyline of good-doctor-guy-gets-killed-while-doing-something-heroic *again*.  Isn't that how both George and Derek died??  Please, show writers, come up with something new!

If they are aiming to write him off, maybe he survives but realizes he wants to focus his life on stopping human trafficking instead of medicine? So leaves the hospital to focus on that? Oh, maybe his sister can leave with him!

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

If they are aiming to write him off, maybe he survives but realizes he wants to focus his life on stopping human trafficking instead of medicine? So leaves the hospital to focus on that? Oh, maybe his sister can leave with him!

Oh, are we convinced that he's being written off?  It's fine with me if he stays; I don't hate him like people here seem to.  He's pleasant eye candy and I thought he was good with Meredith.  It's the new Irish guy that I don't like - only because we don't know him.  He's been on the show an entire season and I can't even remember his name.

• Love 4

I like DeLuca, even though I didn't like him with Meredith (I thought she treated him like a boy toy and didn't have that much respect for him).  So if he's written off I don't want him killed.  I wouldn't mind Carina getting killed but that would put him into a downward spiral again.  

• Love 3

I don't mind either Deluca or Irish. I remember the guy who plays Deluca, sounding like he'd lost negotiations in something - he sounded both down, but with a good attitude, like "you win some, you lose some." That's why I thought that he was being written off. That was early this year, wasn't it? Geez, I'm so tired, I thought it was early last year.

• Love 3
On 12/21/2020 at 12:18 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Oh, are we convinced that he's being written off?  It's fine with me if he stays; I don't hate him like people here seem to.  He's pleasant eye candy and I thought he was good with Meredith.  It's the new Irish guy that I don't like - only because we don't know him.  He's been on the show an entire season and I can't even remember his name.

Oh, I have no idea, was going with what other people were saying about his having nowhere to go. Then again, that hasn't stopped them in keeping other characters on the show... I agree with you on Irish guy--he just doesn't seem particularly interesting.

I didn't particularly like Deluca with Meredith because he seemed sort of submissive to her. It would be good if they could find him a fitting partner. I wouldn't mind if his sister left the show in some way though...

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

Oh, I have no idea, was going with what other people were saying about his having nowhere to go. Then again, that hasn't stopped them in keeping other characters on the show... I agree with you on Irish guy--he just doesn't seem particularly interesting.

I didn't particularly like Deluca with Meredith because he seemed sort of submissive to her. It would be good if they could find him a fitting partner. I wouldn't mind if his sister left the show in some way though...

I think I read somewhere that she's been made a regular on Station 19.  Maybe she'll be used more over there and much less on Grey's?  I'm not sure.

• Useful 2
8 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Anyone else thinking Jo will try to adopt the baby?

I wouldn't be surprised but I'd be shocked if she was approved. Adoption is an arduous process and her being single and a busy doctor may not make her an ideal candidate.

But with the magic of tv, anything is possible!

However, if she does, she better kick Glasses out of the loft because that space isn't big enough. 

Edited by funnygirl
29 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

I wouldn't be surprised but I'd be shocked if she was approved. Adoption is an arduous process and her being single and a busy doctor may not make her an ideal candidate.

But with the magic of tv, anything is possible!

However, if she does, she better kick Glasses out of the loft because that space isn't big enough. 

Meredith and Derek were approved for Zola mostly because they were doctors.  They argued that she had health concerns, and there was no one better to care for her than doctors.  Meredith even kidnapped her, and they still got her.  So I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jo is approved, and quickly.  

• Love 1