Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I hope not. Go one more season. Don't end on Covid. 

Ending with this season would be depressingly awful.  Not that the show is that great anymore, but it still deserves better.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Ending with this season would be depressingly awful.  Not that the show is that great anymore, but it still deserves better.

Agree. But I could also see them ending - leave Meredith on the beach and cycle through as many dead characters as they can, give everyone else tidbits to wrap them up and end with Meredith leaving the hospital surrounded by her family. It's dead beach going on so long that makes me think that.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, windsprints said:

Agree. But I could also see them ending - leave Meredith on the beach and cycle through as many dead characters as they can, give everyone else tidbits to wrap them up and end with Meredith leaving the hospital surrounded by her family. It's dead beach going on so long that makes me think that.

What gets me though is that all along, and still this season - even the most recent episode - Meredith says her happy place is the hospital.  If they end the season with her dying or getting better and quitting, or anything other than her back doing a ground breaking surgery, it won't be an "end" for the character, IMO.  

Grey's has been on for so long, and so many beloved characters have long-since been gone, that it's going to be near impossible to have an ending that will be satisfying to the masses. Shonda even said - sometime after season 8 I believe - that the show has outlasted the ending she envisioned. At this point they will make the best with what they've got. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Grey's has been on for so long, and so many beloved characters have long-since been gone, that it's going to be near impossible to have an ending that will be satisfying to the masses. Shonda even said - sometime after season 8 I believe - that the show has outlasted the ending she envisioned. At this point they will make the best with what they've got. 

The best they can do is wrap up the characters in a way that seems satisfactory. Meredith shouldn’t die in the final season like this but it almost seems poetic I guess. She’s not the type for happily ever after. 

My thing is the show should get the flowers and celebration of its long standing success. The fans deserve to have that kind of closure. Especially the day one fans who have stuck around. Shows like this mean something to people, and there is a right way to let it go. 

Rushed in the middle of a pandemic isn’t it.

• Love 6

My DVR description for 3/25 mentions a heart-wrenching loss and Teddy struggling to cope. Based on their scene from last week, I wonder if Koracik could also die this season. If they are gearing towards a series finale (either this spring or next year), maybe this is the beginning of trimming the cast a bit. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

What gets me though is that all along, and still this season - even the most recent episode - Meredith says her happy place is the hospital.  If they end the season with her dying or getting better and quitting, or anything other than her back doing a ground breaking surgery, it won't be an "end" for the character, IMO.  

I didn't mean her leaving forever. I meant leaving having recovered fully from COVID surrounded by her family & hospital family. Would be a contrast to how she started, walking in alone. Of course there could be 17 more seasons LOL.

• Love 1

I don't really see the point of April returning unless they're starting to wrap things up for the show. There aren't even that many characters she was close to around any more. 

Her exit in S14 was awful but what's the point in her returning to say yep she's fine and made the right decision and randomly give Jackson advice about whatever and leave again. 

Even when Burke came back there was no sudden romantic reunion but he was there to wrap up Cristina's storyline and provide an exit. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Maybe even if Ellen hasn't given an official choice they are starting to see which way the wind is blowing? If April is only in a scene or two they could have filmed her part (with Jackson or other characters) relatively quickly. Didn't Krista or someone say that they were writing an ending episode that could serve as a season finale or a series finale, depending? 

• Love 1

For those who noticed a Jo/Cormac spark it was not imagined. I kind of liked Jo/Jackson and I find Cormac kind of dull but i guess once she’s happy.. I’m not even commenting on the Teddy stuff because I just don’t care.

Matts Inside Line

Any details on the Grey’s Anatomy couples for the second half of Season 17? — SS
Though Teddy and Tom are now as kaput a couple as a couple can be, the aftershocks of her admission that she never loved him are yet to be felt. “That set Tom free,” showrunner Krista Vernoff tells TVLine, “but it’s done the opposite for Teddy. We still haven’t unpacked the psychology that allowed her to treat him that way and treat Owen that way, so you’re going to get some powerful episodes that speak to that coming up.” On a lighter note, if you’ve observed a certain spark between Cormac and Jo, you’re not imagining things. “I for sure noticed a connection forming…,” says Vernoff. “Whether it’s sparks or it’s friendship, I think it’s important for all of these characters to connect with each other in new ways because of what we’re all navigating together at this moment.” Mm-hmm. I still see a Cormac/Jo/Jackson triangle being formed.

What spark? 😅 

Is this what the quality of the show's couples have come to? A man and a woman share random scenes together and automatically it's a love match? Grey's has fallen way off from the MerDers, Calzonas, and Slexies… etc.

Edited by funnygirl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Avabelle said:

For those who noticed a Jo/Cormac spark it was not imagined. I kind of liked Jo/Jackson and I find Cormac kind of dull but i guess once she’s happy.. I’m not even commenting on the Teddy stuff because I just don’t care.

Matts Inside Line

Any details on the Grey’s Anatomy couples for the second half of Season 17? — SS
Though Teddy and Tom are now as kaput a couple as a couple can be, the aftershocks of her admission that she never loved him are yet to be felt. “That set Tom free,” showrunner Krista Vernoff tells TVLine, “but it’s done the opposite for Teddy. We still haven’t unpacked the psychology that allowed her to treat him that way and treat Owen that way, so you’re going to get some powerful episodes that speak to that coming up.”

That scene meant that Teddy/Tom are kaput? LOL. I doubt it.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Matts Inside Line

Though Teddy and Tom are now as kaput a couple as a couple can be, the aftershocks of her admission that she never loved him are yet to be felt. “That set Tom free,” showrunner Krista Vernoff tells TVLine, “but it’s done the opposite for Teddy. We still haven’t unpacked the psychology that allowed her to treat him that way and treat Owen that way, so you’re going to get some powerful episodes that speak to that coming up.” On a lighter note, if you’ve observed a certain spark between Cormac and Jo, you’re not imagining things. “I for sure noticed a connection forming…,” says Vernoff. “Whether it’s sparks or it’s friendship, I think it’s important for all of these characters to connect with each other in new ways because of what we’re all navigating together at this moment.” Mm-hmm. I still see a Cormac/Jo/Jackson triangle being formed.

Re: the part I put in bold - Does anyone actually care?  I don't think I've seen one person like Teddy anymore, or even defend her actions without liking her.   

• Love 3
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Re: the part I put in bold - Does anyone actually care?  I don't think I've seen one person like Teddy anymore, or even defend her actions without liking her.   

I don't know if they unpacked the psychology of Owen bringing his best friend to teach his girlfriend, when it seemed to be clear that she was in love with him, and then he was all iffy about his own feelings at some point. Until we were reminded that he was really in love with Cristina. Then he flew to be with Teddy, after his ex-wife (Amelia) told him to. They have a great time, until he tells her that, and she throws him out. Or did they, and I just can't remember?

I think the only time we've looked at Owen's actions, was when he was in therapy with Cristina, and they were talking through everything - and the one where she makes him tell her over and over, about how he cheated on her.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Anela said:

I don't know if they unpacked the psychology of Owen bringing his best friend to teach his girlfriend, when it seemed to be clear that she was in love with him, and then he was all iffy about his own feelings at some point. Until we were reminded that he was really in love with Cristina. Then he flew to be with Teddy, after his ex-wife (Amelia) told him to. They have a great time, until he tells her that, and she throws him out. Or did they, and I just can't remember?

I think the only time we've looked at Owen's actions, was when he was in therapy with Cristina, and they were talking through everything - and the one where she makes him tell her over and over, about how he cheated on her.

Yet, they want to keep throwing Owen in for stories when really they just circle or seem to be: Owen = Miserable whether by others or his own doing. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Anela said:

Oh, so that picture on instagram was real. It was on my "explore" page, and I thought it was a photoshop job, because it looked a little odd. 

If they do make this the last season, I wonder if they'll bring anyone else back.

Chyler had Covid and is now in lockdown in BC while they are shooting Supergirl so she was greenscreen in. Lucky they have big screens.The CW wig is funny though

Edited by Humbugged
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/26/2021 at 2:34 PM, Humbugged said:

Chyler had Covid and is now in lockdown in BC while they are shooting Supergirl so she was greenscreen in. Lucky they have big screens.The CW wig is funny though

I've been seeing speculation that Chyler was green-screened on the beach, but what proof do people have other than the lighting in the scene on the promo looks odd? That could be because of the sun and time of day, depending on how the scene is cut/edited. (a single scene is shot multiple times for angles and POV.)

I remember seeing a couple (?) months ago that Debbie posted a video on Instagram while production was filming on the beach, and she was worried that the reflection of an actress could be seen in her sunglasses. IMO, the timing of filming schedule + the airdate of Lexie's episode fits to that actress having been Chyler. I guess we'll know for sure when we see it, and if Chyler was to be green-screened in it will be mentioned by a credible source in a post-episode interview. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, funnygirl said:

I've been seeing speculation that Chyler was green-screened on the beach, but what proof do people have other than the lighting in the scene on the promo looks odd? That could be because of the sun and time of day, depending on how the scene is cut/edited. (a single scene is shot multiple times for angles and POV.)

I remember seeing a couple (?) months ago that Debbie posted a video on Instagram while production was filming on the beach, and she was worried that the reflection of an actress could be seen in her sunglasses. IMO, the timing of filming schedule + the airdate of Lexie's episode fits to that actress having been Chyler. I guess we'll know for sure when we see it, and if Chyler was to be green-screened in it will be mentioned by a credible source in a post-episode interview. 

Depends when it was as Chyler actually had Covid in Nashville and went into the Supergirl bubble when she arrived back in Vancouver

Shutting down Supergirl was a real big thing for her  ,as scenes were unfinished ane she had to be CGI in ,she packed up the kids,animals and drove back to Nashville  in 2/3 days

(edited)

After last night's episode with Lexie, Mark, a reference to Sofia/Callie/Arizona, and texts from Cristina and an upcoming appearance by April, makes me think they do intend to wrap up the show this season.  Why pull out so much nostalgia if it's not the end?

Edited by Earmuffs Mom
typo
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

After last night's episode with Lexie, Mark, a reference to Sofia/Callie/Arizona, and texts from Cristina and an upcoming appearance by April, makes me think they do intend to wrap up the show this season.  Why pull out so much nostalgia if it's not the end?

And if it's not the end, what could they possibly do that could top this season aside from getting Cristina and Alex appearances? Any potential next season inevitably won't be recieved as well. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

Maybe they *think* it might be the final season but they're not sure so they're putting everything in just in case? Especially with the pandemic still causing so much uncertainty. 

I still have a feeling that they'll try to do a final season, unless it really proves untenable for whatever reason. Announce it as a last hurrah do a big dramatic storyline and I'm sure many former regulars would be interested in coming back again even if they've popped onto the beach this season. I mean Denny came back after dying more than once as has Ellis albeit a bit differently. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

1 hour ago, windsprints said:

I think there's a pretty good chance the show will return next season. I saw this article last week - Krista signed a new overall deal and it says they are working towards a deal to bring GA back:

https://deadline.com/2021/03/krista-vernoff-overall-deal-abc-signature-greys-anatomy-season-18-renewal-1234721820/

I won't be surprised if Grey's is back for season 18, however I hope that it's announced to be the very last. Even better would be if it only consists of 13-15 episodes max… a shorter season to cut out filler episodes/material and have a cohesive final season where every bit counts, while also accommodating safety and the restrictions of filming during a pandemic which isn't going to disappear by the Fall. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 5

I agree on having an announced final season that's shorter than usual. Plus, then they can keep billing it as "The Final Season" and make a big deal about it. Ending on COVID does seem really depressing--unless they opt to do a time jump for the last episode or two. It would be great if they could get Christina to come back for an episode. I imagine Alex couldn't come back because of how he left. Possibly Callie and/or Arizona? April's already coming back. Trying to think of who else I might possibly want to see again who isn't dead...

• Love 1

After seeing the preview for 17x13, do we think Meredith was saying goodbye to Derek or them getting ready to sail off into the sunset together?  I am hoping it was her saying goodbye as this beach part of the storyline, albeit great to see some of the old cast, is getting tired now.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

After seeing the preview for 17x13, do we think Meredith was saying goodbye to Derek or them getting ready to sail off into the sunset together?  I am hoping it was her saying goodbye as this beach part of the storyline, albeit great to see some of the old cast, is getting tired now.  

I very much doubt they're going to have Mer die in the middle of the (probably) penultimate season, having made it this far she'll last to the final ep. She she still has three young kids that I don't think they'll want to orphan for Link, Amelia and Maggie to raise.  

I imagine it's a final goodbye to Derek, possibly with him saying he'll always be with them and hints they will meet again ala Mark and Lexie but he wants her to go back and live and be happy etc etc. 

Jury's still out on whether they'll attempt a McWidower romance in the 2nd half. 

• Love 9

I thought this too. Jesse Williams has looked bored for years now. It’s such a shame they bulldozed Japril for the epic failure of Jaggie as would have been nice to see him reunite with April as he exits. I assume his visit to her will give him clarity and he’ll head off to save the world or something.

• Love 6
(edited)

So according to an article I read today, Jesse Williams is leaving (he's going to a Broadway show), and his character will meet with April (she's near Seattle), and then he's going to the Fox foundation HQ in Boston, to help increase the representation of POC's in medicine.   He wants April, Matthew and Harriet to move there too.    She's split from Matthew too.   So leaving it open for April and Jackson. his character, to reunite.   

https://deadline.com/2021/05/jesse-williams-leaving-greys-anatomy-jackson-avery-12-seasons-1234750666/

Apparently he only stayed to this season, because of the Broadway shutdown.  

And now I see several articles speculating about April and Jackson, as a spinoff.    I wouldn't even watch that once.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

He’s looked bored for so long that I’m not surprised. I feel like show is really going out on a whimper though - There’s literally nobody I really care about left bar Jo.

• Love 2

I know this season just wrapped but I'm really hoping next season we get to see Meredith interact with her other sisters-in-law, specifically the two judgy ones that weren't played by Neve Campbell. I'd love to see one of them say something snide to Amelia only to have Meredith rip into them. She's good at that. And Amelia has earned it after the way she stepped up for the kids while Meredith was hospitalized. 

• Love 6

The biggest worry is that they say she'll be in multiple episodes, which doesn't seem like flashbacks to me. So...what, are we getting another Meredith or Richard being sick storyline? We just had Meredith in a coma all of last season, and Richard was sick at the end of season 16! Is it lingering effects on Meredith's side or an entirely new thing?

I'm becoming more and more convinced that this is Pompeo's last season and she's taking the Grey's Anatomy title with her. The spin-off being teased earlier this year is really the continuation of Grey's under a new name and with *some* of the current cast.

I don’t think I like any of the current characters enough to watch a spin off. I really just hope it ends this season and they let us know by mid season and just give us a few final enjoyable episodes to tie up the characters stories.  

• Love 2
On 8/13/2021 at 2:16 AM, Avabelle said:

I don’t think I like any of the current characters enough to watch a spin off. I really just hope it ends this season and they let us know by mid season and just give us a few final enjoyable episodes to tie up the characters stories.  

This would be ideal, but the network has been pretty clear on wanting to milk this cow to the very last drop. It's really on Ellen at this point. And I do hope that she decides that enough is enough, that she's got more than enough money, and that the storytelling for Grey's has run its course. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, windsprints said:

I don't think they would do it but if Kate Burton returns as Ellis in a narrator capacity the show could go on as Grey's Anatomy. 

Sssh they might hear you and do just that 😂

• LOL 3

So, read on multiple fb posts that Alex and Izzy's kids were listed as cast members for the first episode.  Anyway, I went to have a look.  Not only are they listed, but so are Sara Ramirez, Jessica Capshaw, Kate Walsh and a couple of other old cast members.  Not Justin or Katherine, but still.  Was actually hoping for Martin Henderson, but his name wasn't there :(  

Is this people reaching and hoping or actual possibility?  If it is a possibility, it's going to be a very full on episode.  

Any thoughts? 

3 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

So, read on multiple fb posts that Alex and Izzy's kids were listed as cast members for the first episode.  Anyway, I went to have a look.  Not only are they listed, but so are Sara Ramirez, Jessica Capshaw, Kate Walsh and a couple of other old cast members.  Not Justin or Katherine, but still.  Was actually hoping for Martin Henderson, but his name wasn't there :(  

Is this people reaching and hoping or actual possibility?  If it is a possibility, it's going to be a very full on episode.  

Any thoughts? 

None of them are listed on ABC's press release for the first episode. 

https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelease/greys-anatomy-season-premiere-here-comes-the-sun-9-30/

Edited to add: IMDB does list some others in episode 2. My guess is flashbacks since Derek is listed too. image.thumb.png.ab21ced260169a3edfeaddb4cdc95e0c.png

Edited by windsprints