Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Why would Alex commit suicide, though?

I’m way out of the loop on this situation, but if Justin did just abruptly leave, there’s been a history of how Shonda writes off actors who piss her off.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just hope the writers remember that Alex did communicate with Jo when he initially left, and that some episodes later, prior to the hospital being bought out, Richard mentioned having texted with him regarding Pac-North stuff. 

I'm skeptical with the latest info dump from Jo in last night's episode that he never went to his mom's in Iowa. Per their own writing, wherever Alex went he still kept in touch to a point, so surely his exit won't be reduced to "Alex got into an accident and died on the way there". It doesn't take that long to get to Iowa, not to mention how much time has passed since he left til now...enough for Intern Amy Schumer to fully recover from her serious injuries from the bar crash. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, funnygirl said:

I just hope the writers remember that Alex did communicate with Jo when he initially left, and that some episodes later, prior to the hospital being bought out, Richard mentioned having texted with him regarding Pac-North stuff. 

Plus in the last episode or the one prior to that, Meredith texted him and we could see he started to answer and then quit. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Does anyone know when the woman who plays Jo's contract expires? 

If she's ready to leave, or irritated the show runners, then she might be the next one to have a fatal accident, or move off screen to join Alex in Iowa.     I hope the Karev character doesn't get the Shonda shuffle, by getting taken off of the planet, like McDreamy.     Piss off the showrunners, and you get erased violently, is definitely a thing on this show.     I suspect it will be permanent, like suicide, or murder, so Justin can never come back.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Piss off the showrunners, and you get erased violently, is definitely a thing on this show.     I suspect it will be permanent, like suicide, or murder, so Justin can never come back.   

Frankly given the rumors around Justin's departure and some old interviews he did about a sleep disorder he has, I've been wondering if the Deluca story line is a coincidence or some dickish move by the show runners to comment on some BTS thing around Justin's departure without commenting on it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

Frankly given the rumors around Justin's departure and some old interviews he did about a sleep disorder he has, I've been wondering if the Deluca story line is a coincidence or some dickish move by the show runners to comment on some BTS thing around Justin's departure without commenting on it.

That would be very shitty of them, I hope not but this show does sometimes have more drama behind the scenes than on screen. And that would be way to  passive agressise agains an actor that committed 16 years of his life to your show and the wrong message to send to those who could be suffering through mental illness/disorders. I hate how they attempt to ruin liked characters before they send them off. They have done it on Grey's and PP.  

• Love 2

Amelia will give birth in either 16.19 or 16.20. They are filming the episode now.

8 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

DeLuca's story is a continuation of his dad's bipolar disorder that was explored last year. It isn't a sleep disorder and it would have been planned long before Justin's exit. There is no reason to believe that there is any bad blood between Justin and the cast or writers.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, BaseOps said:

Amelia will give birth in either 16.19 or 16.20. They are filming the episode now.

DeLuca's story is a continuation of his dad's bipolar disorder that was explored last year. It isn't a sleep disorder and it would have been planned long before Justin's exit. There is no reason to believe that there is any bad blood between Justin and the cast or writers.

So you've said before. And being a fan of Justin and knowing that he was never not supportive or loyal to the show it wouldn't make sense to me either. But it's just so weird that there's been complete radio silence from TPTB + the cast about his departure that people probably jump to conclusions.

What's more is that I can't come up with a reason why Justin would not be willing to do a goodbye arc, or hell, just a goodbye episode. Especially because I know he's a decent guy who has always been loved by all the people on set and he's never complained, not even about his character having been sidelined so much - which he was.

How did he even get out of the contract in the middle of the season? I'd really just like to have an explanation that makes sense.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

So you've said before. And being a fan of Justin and knowing that he was never not supportive or loyal to the show it wouldn't make sense to me either. But it's just so weird that there's been complete radio silence from TPTB + the cast about his departure that people probably jump to conclusions.

What's more is that I can't come up with a reason why Justin would not be willing to do a goodbye arc, or hell, just a goodbye episode. Especially because I know he's a decent guy who has always been loved by all the people on set and he's never complained, not even about his character having been sidelined so much - which he was.

How did he even get out of the contract in the middle of the season? I'd really just like to have an explanation that makes sense.

I agree, nothing is making sense. Something about past actors who have left the show or were written or killed off. There was either clashes between the actor and TPTB, the TPTB just getting tired of writing the characters or something else that just came out of left field with a: "You'll never work in this town again" attitude. With Justin, it just seems to have just happened. He left the show, the writers scrambled and are giving us a: "Well you bastard, biting the hand that fed you for 16 years." No one has said anything. 

• Love 1

Personally, I think this whole thing has a much bigger backstory than we know, or that we may ever know. With how abruptly Justin left, without so much as a head's up, and with how he didn't even want to film one final episode as a goodbye...I dunno, it seems like there may be more bad blood between Chambers and Grey's than they may admit. 

I understand if it was due to his mental health. Maybe something personal in his life is going on that forced him to leave. Maybe he thought that he could return after the 350th episode was filmed but then realized by January that he couldn't.

But...I dunno, I think back to that paparazzi video of Justin right after the news came out and he seemed...pleased to be gone from the show. His words may be saying that he was ready to move on and that he was grateful for the show and whatnot...but the whole situation seems fishy on both ends. And yeah, Grey's history with departing cast members doesn't really help matters at all. With almost every single series regular leaving for non-amicable reasons (besides Chyler and Sara, but even Sara's comments about the BTS of Grey's is shady, at best), it just feels like there was at least a little bad blood between Chambers and Grey's. 

It took Krista weeks before she finally made a statement. It took Ellen days. Nobody else on the cast has even talked about it. If it was for personal reasons, you'd think that the cast and crew would understand and be less...silent on the matter. Not that they need to ever divulge why he left, but something other than radio silence would be better than this. 

• Love 9

Considering how many actors on the show have quit suddenly or were fired with later references from Shonda about how they had done her wrong, has anyone ever thought it interesting that she is the common denominator?

I was never that into the show and haven’t watched it in forever, but I remember liking Alex, especially with Katherine Heigl’s character.  Shonda wouldn’t put him back with her offscreen, would she?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

It took Krista weeks before she finally made a statement. It took Ellen days. Nobody else on the cast has even talked about it. If it was for personal reasons, you'd think that the cast and crew would understand and be less...silent on the matter. Not that they need to ever divulge why he left, but something other than radio silence would be better than this. 

In the past, I've hated reading speculation based on which cast members tweeted goodbyes to departing cast members and which didn't but in this case, the radio silence was just weird. Even if something went down BTS, I would have expected Krista or others to at least tweet something generic like "Thank you for playing Alex for 15 years" when the news was released. I don't know, ordinarily, if an actor left a show like this, the swiftness and radio silence would have my mind going in an …. unsavory direction, but it seems like this was Justin Chambers decision. All I know is I eventually want a tell all about Grey's. 

• Love 5

The radio silence could be them learning from the Sarah/JCap fiasco...although at the time it was krista and Ellen being too much about the whole thing and not anticipating that people would be angry as hell.

radio silence leads to speculation but if they don’t feed the fire it doesn’t get out of control. 

Edited by moonorchid
On 2/29/2020 at 9:18 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Personally, I think this whole thing has a much bigger backstory than we know, or that we may ever know. With how abruptly Justin left, without so much as a head's up, and with how he didn't even want to film one final episode as a goodbye...I dunno, it seems like there may be more bad blood between Chambers and Grey's than they may admit. 

I understand if it was due to his mental health. Maybe something personal in his life is going on that forced him to leave. Maybe he thought that he could return after the 350th episode was filmed but then realized by January that he couldn't.

But...I dunno, I think back to that paparazzi video of Justin right after the news came out and he seemed...pleased to be gone from the show. His words may be saying that he was ready to move on and that he was grateful for the show and whatnot...but the whole situation seems fishy on both ends. And yeah, Grey's history with departing cast members doesn't really help matters at all. With almost every single series regular leaving for non-amicable reasons (besides Chyler and Sara, but even Sara's comments about the BTS of Grey's is shady, at best), it just feels like there was at least a little bad blood between Chambers and Grey's. 

agreed. Justin does have a history of insomnia and I believe at least one hospitalization for exhaustion, but his departure was incredibly abrupt. I wonder if contract negotiations broke down. This season finale feels more like its for the fans than Justin.

On the other hand, I kinda wonder if we're also being prepared for a departure for Alex Landi. I like brooding Nico, but this current storyline is a direct contradiction of last season. even if we can accept out and proud Nico is out to everyone but his family, why would he have talked about not inviting Schmidt to Xmas dinner? Alex has roles on a few Netflix series so maybe Nico finishes his fellowship and takes a job elsewhere? I've also hear speculation that this is to pave the way for yet another Station 19 crossover. This time to pair Levi with Travis.

9 hours ago, Milaxx said:

Justin does have a history of insomnia and I believe at least one hospitalization for exhaustion, but his departure was incredibly abrupt. I wonder if contract negotiations broke down.

Justin had just signed a new contract last year, he wasn't due for a new one. I wonder if it had an exit clause, because I haven't heard anything about legal recourse for breaking a contract, so they're either letting him break it or it was in his contract that he could go when he wanted.

• Love 5

Someone in the episode thread said they should just make Alex the Chief over at PacNorth or somewhere else. He's off screen, not dead, no mourning for characters, etc. And it would be a convenient excuse for when they need someone else off screen, "They're off visiting Alex"

It's not perfect, but it definitely is better than killing off a fan favorite who's been on the show 15 years.

• Love 8
(edited)
5 hours ago, shantown said:

Someone in the episode thread said they should just make Alex the Chief over at PacNorth or somewhere else. He's off screen, not dead, no mourning for characters, etc. And it would be a convenient excuse for when they need someone else off screen, "They're off visiting Alex"

It's not perfect, but it definitely is better than killing off a fan favorite who's been on the show 15 years.

I think everyone knows (but maybe just doesn't want to accept) that this wouldn't work at all. Grey's is a romantic drama and having Jo's husband be referred to offscreen would halt her storyline. They just got married. It would also be incredibly awkward. If he had filmed some episodes of wrap-up, maybe. But without him there, you can't have Jo just pop up and say "Alex is working at another hospital!!! Everything is fine!!!" He's far too major of a presence on the show to tip-toe around the fact that he's gone.

There really was no logical option left for the writer aside from killing him off. I'll be upset if they go for the alternative of having him leave Jo because that's out of character.

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2

I wonder if they will have Linc and Jo hook up at some point, only to find out the baby is Linc's after all.

I know that someone said that Deluca's story line would already have been planned, that he isn't on his way out, but the actor said something that made it sound like he'd pushed it in some way. People assumed he didn't mean Grey's, when he said he was okay, but I don't remember him saying that everything was fine re: Grey's. 

In the Grey's promos they were airing during The Bachelor tonight, the accompanying song was "Say Something," by A Great Big World. The single line from the song that they used is "I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you." If that doesn't scream that Alex's fate is seriously that he's anonymously lying dead in a ditch somewhere, I don't know what does.

So my bet is that police, after having finally identified him, come to the hospital to make the notification to Jo, and then everyone is in a different room of the hospital remembering their various experiences with Alex over the years. Alex's death somehow convinces Richard to not throw in the towel on being a doctor yet (or maybe not throw in the towel on his marriage?). Miranda's distress over losing another of the "babies" she "raised" helps Ben more easily agree to adopting the kid whose name I can't recall right now. Schmitt seeing Jo's devastation over losing the love of her life convinces him that life is too short to waste with someone who isn't giving you what you need in a relationship. Owen will (naturally) turn to Teddy in the sadness of the moment, probably saying something to the effect that he's so glad they made it through the war together and fought to end up together, which will make Teddy feel so incredibly guilty that she immediately confesses to Owen about whatever ended up happening with Koracik, which then also leads to the question of Amelia's baby's parentage coming out. Jo's devastation also makes Link realize that he loves Amelia so much that he doesn't care if he's the father of her baby, he just wants her. Only thing I don't have a guess about is if Amelia will take him back--I think Alex's death will bring up emotions about Derek's death, which could drive her back to Link's arms or could make her circle the wagons more tightly around her family (meaning sisters+nieces+nephew+baby).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, BaseOps said:

There really was no logical option left for the writer aside from killing him off. I'll be upset if they go for the alternative of having him leave Jo because that's out of character.

But there were options! There were several at the beginning. It's just lazy writing that we ended up with ghosting everyone or death. They could have said he got a new awesome job offer elsewhere. Since Catherine bought Pac North and he got fired from Grey Sloan previously, it would only make sense that Alex would finally want to escape the Seattle doctor mess. And since they started this story by saying Alex was visiting his mom, they could have said he decided to move back to Iowa to take care of her. Either way he and Jo could have tried a long distance relationship for a while and then they could have said it didn't work out, if they wanted to keep Jo around. It's solely the writers' fault that this turned out the way that it did. In fact, it looks to me like viewers wanting Alex dead is exactly what the writers were aiming for. What else am I to make of the fact that neither his wife Jo nor his best friend Meredith were worried for even a second that something terrible could have happened to him? Cheating/leaving are the only possibilities the viewers heard over the last 4-5 weeks, so now they've had plenty of time to come to the conclusion that death is the better option. But that's not me. The only thing I want out of this is for Alex to come out of this alive.

2 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

So my bet is that police, after having finally identified him, come to the hospital to make the notification to Jo, and then everyone is in a different room of the hospital remembering their various experiences with Alex over the years. Alex's death somehow convinces Richard to not throw in the towel on being a doctor yet (or maybe not throw in the towel on his marriage?). Miranda's distress over losing another of the "babies" she "raised" helps Ben more easily agree to adopting the kid whose name I can't recall right now. Schmitt seeing Jo's devastation over losing the love of her life convinces him that life is too short to waste with someone who isn't giving you what you need in a relationship. Owen will (naturally) turn to Teddy in the sadness of the moment, probably saying something to the effect that he's so glad they made it through the war together and fought to end up together, which will make Teddy feel so incredibly guilty that she immediately confesses to Owen about whatever ended up happening with Koracik, which then also leads to the question of Amelia's baby's parentage coming out. Jo's devastation also makes Link realize that he loves Amelia so much that he doesn't care if he's the father of her baby, he just wants her. Only thing I don't have a guess about is if Amelia will take him back--I think Alex's death will bring up emotions about Derek's death, which could drive her back to Link's arms or could make her circle the wagons more tightly around her family (meaning sisters+nieces+nephew+baby).

I could so see this happening and I will hate every second of it. So many times especially in the last 5 years Alex has only been used to further other characters' storylines and I will hate it if the even use his exit that way. But I don't expect anything else from these writers.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:
13 hours ago, BaseOps said:

But there were options! There were several at the beginning. It's just lazy writing that we ended up with ghosting everyone or death. They could have said he got a new awesome job offer elsewhere. Since Catherine bought Pac North and he got fired from Grey Sloan previously, it would only make sense that Alex would finally want to escape the Seattle doctor mess. And since they started this story by saying Alex was visiting his mom, they could have said he decided to move back to Iowa to take care of her. Either way he and Jo could have tried a long distance relationship for a while and then they could have said it didn't work out, if they wanted to keep Jo around. It's solely the writers' fault that this turned out the way that it did. In fact, it looks to me like viewers wanting Alex dead is exactly what the writers were aiming for. What else am I to make of the fact that neither his wife Jo nor his best friend Meredith were worried for even a second that something terrible could have happened to him? Cheating/leaving are the only possibilities the viewers heard over the last 4-5 weeks, so now they've had plenty of time to come to the conclusion that death is the better option. But that's not me. The only thing I want out of this is for Alex to come out of this alive.

100% with you. Alex's mom gave them a setup. I mentioned in the episode thread that they could have had Jo & Alex talking then sent her off for a few episodes (they could still pay CL) to join him. Time jump a few months, Jo returns, Alex stays in Iowa. The marriage ending and Alex feeling he needed to stay with his mother/had a new job explains why he doesn't return to Seattle for goodbyes. Frees Jo up for future storylines quickly because she's not mourning his death, doesn't shred Alex's character by having him abandon her & he lives.

Now, if they kill him off, we'll have another female character having to move on after her husband dies. We've been watching that storyline front & center since Patrick left. Jo's storyline will feel repetitive. People may want Alex dead and want Jo to get the rehashed Meredith story but I am not among them. Jo just fought her way through a breakdown & became an attending. She seemed to want a baby. Instead of another grieving widow I would rather watch Jo coming out stronger and moving on. Maybe Grey's could even do a storyline they have never done before - a planned pregnancy, lol.

• Love 9

Killing Alex off would/will be lazy storytelling, and that they'd sacrifice Alex's life essentially for Jo's storytelling would/will be despicable. 

Alex is the reason Jo is even liked/tolerated in the first place. If not for their relationship, Jo would've flamed out with the rest of her intern class - save for Stephanie. Alex propped Jo, to kill off the character simply because the writers are too lazy, too vindictive, or not creative enough to come up with something else would/will be such a disservice to Alex Karev's 15 1/2 seasons on the show. He's more of Grey's Anatomy staple than the majority of characters currently on screen. 

YMMV

• Love 9

I will absolutely hate it if they kill off Alex.  Other than Meredith, he is the last of the interns/residents from season one.  Also, lazy storytelling.

What is ALSO lazy storytelling is to have DeLuca's possible/probably bipolar episode be the convenient reason for Meredith and the irish widow get together.  Grrrr.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Killing Alex off would/will be lazy storytelling, and that they'd sacrifice Alex's life essentially for Jo's storytelling would/will be despicable. 

Alex is the reason Jo is even liked/tolerated in the first place. If not for their relationship, Jo would've flamed out with the rest of her intern class - save for Stephanie. Alex propped Jo, to kill off the character simply because the writers are too lazy, too vindictive, or not creative enough to come up with something else would/will be such a disservice to Alex Karev's 15 1/2 seasons on the show. He's more of Grey's Anatomy staple than the majority of characters currently on screen. 

YMMV

While ultimately my dream ending would be that Jo leaves the end of the season to meet Alex and they live happily ever after the reality is that Luddington doesn’t want to leave the show. I don’t think it’s fair she lose her job. It’d be different if Chambers gave a years notice and the writers made a creative call to write them both off with a proper happy ending. He didn’t though. He literally took time off and didn’t come back putting the writers in the worst possible position. I can see why they didn’t want to make it worse by axing another character. Maybe there’s loopholes in contracts to protect the actors from that kind of axing. I love Alex and hate that he’s being killed off but it’s hard for me to get that worked up over the decision when the actor who played him all these years didn't seem to think sufficient notice to write the character off was necessary. 

Despite being on the show for nearly eight years Jo only became a prevalent character in the last 4 seasons so after all the backstory they put into her I get why they don’t want to get ride of her. 

This is just yet another reason of why the show needs to end. Bar Cristina has a single character had a satisfactory ending. They all just fizzle out.

• Love 5

The promo with "I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you," playing over a bunch of emotional flashbacks and the title of the episode (Leave a Light On)  make me think they might be killing Alex off by suicide or overdose due to some previously unmentioned mental health or substance use problem.

7 hours ago, h8omb said:

The promo with "I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you," playing over a bunch of emotional flashbacks and the title of the episode (Leave a Light On)  make me think they might be killing Alex off by suicide or overdose due to some previously unmentioned mental health or substance use problem.

I think I would have preferred that to what they did.  

• Love 7
On 2/29/2020 at 11:25 AM, Crs97 said:

Considering how many actors on the show have quit suddenly or were fired with later references from Shonda about how they had done her wrong, has anyone ever thought it interesting that she is the common denominator?

I was never that into the show and haven’t watched it in forever, but I remember liking Alex, especially with Katherine Heigl’s character.  Shonda wouldn’t put him back with her offscreen, would she?

Okay, I find it hilarious that somehow I guessed correctly.  I also wonder if anyone has ever left this show and not had their reputation trashed with rumors and vague comments afterwards.  Either this show has the worst luck in picking jerks of actors or some show heads need to be looking in the mirror.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So the behind the scenes rumors about Chambers having big issues with other actors on the show, and they had o have separate scenes, now sound really accurate.   After Chambers left, they could dump the other hospital, and not have to do a separate plot for him, and Pac-whatever hospital.     My personal guess is it came to a head about the time the final episode for the first half of season finale, and they tried to strong arm Chambers into coming back to the home hospital, and he said no way.      If the show runners didn't want to stomp on Chambers, then they would have had a better explanation than leaving his wife for Izzy, and the formerly unknown kids.      I bet this ending was the threat to get the actor to come back to the main story line, and he said no way.      

I hope whatever happens, that Chambers and his family are happy.      

What behind the scenes rumors? This is the first I've ever heard about that. If anything it was actually the opposite. Justin was a very beloved among the cast. I've never heard anything other than that he was an absolutely generous, laid-back funny and humble guy.

Can you tell me where you read that Justin wasn't getting along with people?

• Love 3
On 3/6/2020 at 11:45 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I read it on here somewhere, it might be on a the GA media forum. where there are rumors that there was a behind the scenes issue.   That's why JC was put at the separate hospital, until his exit.

I suspect that there wasn't a conflict with other actors, since JC seems to have a good reputation, and others who were difficult (Hagel) ended up getting the boot.   

Notice he was primarily in the scenes with Webber, and the other people at Pac-whatever, and not at the home hospital.    If there was a clash, I bet it was with story lines, and between JC and the producers, and show runners.  

I wouldn't be so sure that the problem wasn't with other cast members. No one seems to be able to tolerate Pompeo without gritting their teeth and, from behind the scenes reveals, it's clear that at least Luddington and Gianniotti decided joining the Mean Girl posse was the path to job security. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Elbow said:

I wouldn't be so sure that the problem wasn't with other cast members. No one seems to be able to tolerate Pompeo without gritting their teeth and, from behind the scenes reveals, it's clear that at least Luddington and Gianniotti decided joining the Mean Girl posse was the path to job security. 

What reveals? I haven't seen anything like that.

2 minutes ago, Anela said:

What reveals? I haven't seen anything like that.

Oh just footage the cast members (that I mentioned) have posted of themselves with Pompeo and comments they've made on her behalf to the press and via Twitter. I recall Gianniotti, in particular, really playing ass kiss and making digs against Drew and Capshaw as not being team players. I don't fault anyone for having strong survival instincts, but I also don't think it's a coincidence that this has been the most toxic set in production for 16 years running and that the lead never seems to have any interest in directly addressing complaints about the tone on set made by departed and discarded cast members.

• Love 3

I have never read a single bad word about Justin from cast or crew. The silence is weird and suspicious, but I won't believe Justin made problems on set unlesd I read something that is credible.

I don't even remember any rumours that were mentioned on this board and I usually read this board pretty throroughly. I don't think I missed something as big a juicy BTS rumours.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, GSMHvisitor said:

I have never read a single bad word about Justin from cast or crew. The silence is weird and suspicious, but I won't believe Justin made problems on set unlesd I read something that is credible.

I don't even remember any rumours that were mentioned on this board and I usually read this board pretty throroughly. I don't think I missed something as big a juicy BTS rumours.

I'm not saying I think he was *causing* problems -- although, his "sleep disorder" and drunken manner (during his last on-screen appearance?) in Meredith's courtroom scene might be construed that way. I think it's clear by now that the common denominator in 95% of the on-set tension has been Pompeo.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Elbow said:

Oh just footage the cast members (that I mentioned) have posted of themselves with Pompeo and comments they've made on her behalf to the press and via Twitter. I recall Gianniotti, in particular, really playing ass kiss and making digs against Drew and Capshaw as not being team players. I don't fault anyone for having strong survival instincts, but I also don't think it's a coincidence that this has been the most toxic set in production for 16 years running and that the lead never seems to have any interest in directly addressing complaints about the tone on set made by departed and discarded cast members.

Oh, thanks. I liked both Sarah and Jessica. I hadn't planned to watch at all, when they were just let go like that. 

I'm not saying I think he was *causing* problems -- although, his "sleep disorder"

I'd like to point out that Justin's sleep disorder issues were in January 2008. I cannot recall it ever being mentioned as an issue again during the past 12 years. I also cannot recall any issues between he & anyone on the show being reported on. I obviously don't know him & I have no idea why he exited the show but I am inclined to think its not something that has been there since 2008.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Elbow said:

I can’t speak for Gianotti as he just irritates me on Instagram anyway so o don’t follow him but Luddington is pretty good friends with Capshaw in particular. She was at her wedding so not sure about any feuds there. In fact Capshaw was pretty close with Pompeo around the time she was let go so I don’t know that above theory/rumour makes much sense to me..

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I can’t speak for Gianotti as he just irritates me on Instagram anyway so o don’t follow him but Luddington is pretty good friends with Capshaw in particular. She was at her wedding so not sure about any feuds there. In fact Capshaw was pretty close with Pompeo around the time she was let go so I don’t know that above theory/rumour makes much sense to me..

I think the timeline of events is what's relevant to Luddington in this dynamic.

Episode 19 is a bottle episode featuring Richard, Catherine, Teddy, Maggie, and Hayes taking place at a Surgical Innovation conference in LA. It features flashbacks to Hayes' time with his late wife. Maggie and Teddy run into old friends, played by Anthony Hill (Maggie's friend) and Sherri Saum (Teddy's friend). 

1 minute ago, kariyaki said:

Another bottle episode with Richard, Catherine and Maggie? Ehhh, I think I’m washing my hair that night. 

Well, I plan to not watch Thursday's episode live in protest, but I have it recorded.

But this bottle episode? I think my PVR will be broken that night from 9-10pm. Ooops. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

So, according to this article, there was supposedly going to be a major character death in the real season finale:

Sources confirm to TVLine that the ABC drama’s original Season 16 finale — one of four episodes scrapped as a result of the coronavirus pandemic — was to feature a cataclysmic event that would have likely claimed the life of a major character. One insider says the event in question was going to be an explosion, something Grey’s showrunner Krista Vernoff would neither confirm or deny in a recent interview with TVLine.

It remains unclear which cast member was headed for Grey Sloan’s legendary revolving door. Another unknown is whether the rumored departure will now be folded into Season 17 or delayed indefinitely.

Thoughts on who it could have been, if this is true?

Well, we can eliminate Meredith, Richard (since he just went through an almost-death experience), and Teddy/Tom/Owen (because of Krista's comments about how she was planning to carry on with the love triangle into next season). 

Which leaves Jackson (I'd say this is unlikely because Jesse just signed a two year contract last year so unless Jesse changed his mind halfway through, he should be clear to stick around), Bailey (probably unlikely since I doubt Krista would go through with another original character's departure, unless Chandra wants to leave), Schmitt (quite possible since he seems to be floundering as a doctor), Amelia or Link (again, probably not because they just had their son and that would be TOO depressing, even for this show), Deluca (quite possible), Catherine (I would love it if this was the case and it's possible), Hayes (unlikely since I see them promoting the actor next season), Jo (not likely since they would have just shipped her off with Alex if they were planning to get rid of the actress), or Maggie (a slight possibility but they've been setting her up with that Winston guy, who I assume will be a recurring character next season).

So my best guesses? Schmitt or Catherine, in all honesty. Maybe Jackson, if Jesse decides that he actually wants to leave?  

• Useful 1