Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E09: Week 8: America's Choice

• Start Topic

And will the powers-that-be once again change the double elimination to a single elimination?

What in the world does "America's Choice" mean for a theme?  Music?  Dance Style?  Because if I were choosing, I'd select nothing but ballroom dances (I might throw in a Lindy Hop or Swing).

• Love 3
(edited)

I believe we had the opportunity a week or two ago to vote at ABC.com for style and song choices for each couple. I remember Tom making announcements about that.

Yay for trios! I always love those.

Edited by majormama

That's correct. And then they all opened the envelopes during their live streams last week to find out their style and song. Then on twitter each couple asked for concepts, costume colors, and apparently what each dances ending pose would be. Then the pros have to work it in somehow.

I believe we had the opportunity a week or two ago to vote at ABC.com for style and song choices for each couple. I remember Tom making announcements about that.

I must learn to be a better listener when Tom is making all those announcements! LOL.

That's correct. And then they all opened the envelopes during their live streams last week to find out their style and song. Then on twitter each couple asked for concepts, costume colors, and apparently what each dances ending pose would be. Then the pros have to work it in somehow.

Great concept. Anyone not on social media (such as myself) has no say. By any chance, besides social media, did viewers have the opportunity to cast their votes on ABC.com?

• Love 2

I must learn to be a better listener when Tom is making all those announcements! LOL.

Great concept. Anyone not on social media (such as myself) has no say. By any chance, besides social media, did viewers have the opportunity to cast their votes on ABC.com?

Well, you could vote on Twitter through ABC.com, but if you don't have a Twitter account (I don't) and don't want to set one up just to vote (I don't), then you're s.o.l.  You don't get to play.  :\  Really annoys me, as I always voted in the past when you actually could vote on ABC.com.  Have no idea why they don't let you do that any more, but I guess it's part of their 'hip' new persona. 

• Love 4
(edited)

So Noah's going to be part of the double elimination, right? Dancing first, mentioning "I have a change to win this" in his package... it's all the usual suspects. That said, I feel like it's hard to be in the judges spot when they judge Noah. Do you ding the guy because he's physically incapable of dancing certain dance styles well (the stiffness from the lack of a knee, for example) or do you give him credit when you notice that if he was capable, it would be there? I don't think there's a good answer, and I think Carrie Ann was told to be bad cop about it tonight.

Meh, another contemporary. Sorry Chris ... it doesn't make me want to watch you. A suggestion for a "dark dance, with lots of candles"? So we can't see how boring that dance was? Bruno ... another contemporary dance? Whhhhyyy? Isn't one enough?

Sometimes I fear for the speed at which Allison dances. Have they done a slow dance? A rumba? A traditional waltz? I feel like she purposly avoids those kind of dances because she doesn't know how to dance a dance that she can't try to murder to death. So sorry, Riker. I wish you had gotten a better/more likable pro. And also, TPTB: Riker is not cause to give Allison another season.

Ooh, another "I could win this" comment. Sorry, Robert. I guess that means you're going home.

I'm confused. Was Nastia's paso her trio? I couldn't tell with Derek there. I'm guessing no.

Nice redemption story for Rumer. Of course it leads to the first perfect 40 of the season. *sigh*

Man, it's harder and harder to focus as the night goes on. Hopefully team dances are more exciting?

And why did no one pick a same-sex pro as their star? It's a lot wasier to be able to hide when you're not compared to a pro dancer, I guess. It worked for Noah. I don't remember any of his dance (but I wasn't paying that much attention).

How drunk is Bruno? Maybe it'll compell him him to stay seated? But I gotta love Tom's reaction.

Brittany Cherry has more personality in her one trio dance than Allison has had in her whole season with Riker. Is it too late to change Allison for Brittany? I'd give her a chance. Also, it's "jazz" now just a catch-all for "non-slow freestyle"? (Contemporary, of course, has become "slow freestyle".)

Robert's hips suck but he's got more basic samba bounce than a lot of other men that have done sambas in this competition. I don't know if that's saying much for his dance, though.

Sometimes Derek's concepts are really interesting and fresh. Tonight was one of those nights. I thought it was a great way to handle a trio without having two men dancing around Nastia like everyone else always does. Can we keep Sasha around? Please?

I was mostly bored by Rumer all night. A perfect 80 on the night? Eh.

I think Robert and Noah are going home tomorrow, unless one of them has a bigger fanbase than Chris.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2

Witney's skirt blanketing Chris' face will go down in history as one of my favorite DWTS moments. It was the perfect metaphor for how I feel when Chris dances -- I want to hide my face so I don't have to watch.

Also, I thought the point of a trio dance was to show how one dances in sync while being an equal part of a trio -- not to separate them for roughly 95% of the dance. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. The best trio, though? Really, Julianne? When, by my estimation, they spent 5% of the time dancing as a trio?

The most pressing issue of the night, however: the fuck was up with Derek's hair? He looked like a boy bander from the 90s. 

• Love 8

Carrie Ann was completely over the top tonight. Even more so than Bruno.

If there is any justice at all, Noah and Chris will be eliminated tomorrow. I do not understand what they see in Chris.

• Love 8

WTF re: Noah's tango scores.  Judges:  "It lacked all the elements of the tango, but since you're not physically capable of performing those elements, I'm not going to penalize you for that and am instead going to make up some score based on some other factor not really related to your ability to do the dance."

Props to Noah for being out there at all.  For real.  But there are lots of people who can't perform the elements of the tango for all sorts of not-really-their-fault kind of reasons.  Like age.  Or just, you know, no sense of timing, grace and/or coordination.  Not being a good dancer is not a character flaw.  If this show is really about capturing the mood of the dance and not about executing the elements, why don't we bring out Jasper Johns and have him paint us a portrait of the tango live on air?

• Love 5

Correct if I'm wrong, but isn't a trio dance supposed to be three people dancing together? Not one person bouncing back and forth between two partners? IMO, that wasn't a trio and was overscored. The only trio that deserved a perfect score was Riker, and he didn't get it.

Rumer was also overscored on her trio, it was 9-worthy, not 10-worthy. I found it sort of dull and lacking energy.

I don't know what Robert did to these people but seriously, Carrie Ann acts like a damn lunatic over Noah walking back and forth and gives him a 10, but can only muster up an 8 for Robert? And don't get me started on their overscoring of Chris, in both dance. He stomped around in his paso and still outscored Robert.

• Love 10

Yeah, not terribly impressed with the trio dance concept.  In all honesty, I liked the ones that actually, you know, DANCED together instead of the one that did all they could to showcase the supastah (said in the Mary Katherine Gallagher voice) and not the actual celebrity.

Paso is hard to do, so props for those.  Even that of Nastia, who continues to look like a 55 year old woman.

Go away forever, contemporary dancing.  Take the bachelor with you.

• Love 3
(edited)

I hated Derek's trio dance. HATED! That choreography was all about what worked for Derek and not at all about what worked for Nastia. The little bit of jive in that wasn't very strong and certainly not worthy of a perfect score. Everyone is going to have a dance that challenges them and if Nastia's is the jive so be it, but I'd like to see her free to dance an actual jive with someone who can stand up before I make a final judgement call. Last week, Derek made the dance all about him and this week he did it again, creating an entire concept just so he'd be able to do it. Nastia might have been stronger if she didn't have to keep changing tempos and styles.

Also, how much must it suck to be someone who bought tickets to see Derek dance at Radio City Music Hall and get his understudy while he's dancing on this show?

Edited by vibeology
  • Love 14

Correct if I'm wrong, but isn't a trio dance supposed to be three people dancing together? Not one person bouncing back and forth between two partners?

I might be the minority, but I like the idea of someone bouncing back and forth between two partners more than watching the duo syncronize themselves while the star sort of hides in the back, because that's always what happens. I think ... one? trio in the history of the show has had a third member that was the same gender as the star? That would be more impressive than watching Emma and Sharna twirl around Noah. At least Derek made his trio about Nastia and not about him and Sasha.

• Love 11
(edited)

I will have to watch all the dances again (I was on the computer only paying half-attention)- but what was up with all the gushing over Derek's trio?  I didn't think it was that ground-breaking- and they didn't all dance together until the end if I am remembering correctly. 

Edited by Jewelz
  • Love 3

Rumer and Val's rumba is the first one I've ever seen I actually enjoyed, I thought it was great.  Nastia's trio dance was the best, she has way more chemistry with Sasha than Derrick.  I agree with everyone else, Ryker and his partner are way to frenetic.

• Love 2
(edited)

I knew that this would be the redemption/comeback week for Rumer.  They have to gear up for the end.  Soon, Val will be crying about how much this means to him and how he hasn't won and blah, blah, blah.  So, they have to do whatever they can to make sure that Rumer makes it through.  She gets the perfect score and Bergeron mentioning to "check the number and dial carefully" because they have to make sure that she's standing there at the end.  Can't ruin the "Val's season" storyline.

I changed the channel after the Derek/Nastia/Sasha trio jive because I didn't want to hear the idiot judges whining about it.  But imagine my surprise to find out that they got a 40.  I thought the judges was going to hate it.  I was sure Len was going to give them a 6 or a 7.

Edited by superdeluxe
(edited)

Noah - I actually thought his Tango was okay. Yes, as Len noted there are many things they usually look for that's just not possible from Noah due to his limitations but it was at least a recognizable Tango, I thought. Scores were fair. The salsa was okay, not spectacular but kudos to Sharna and her creativity. Again the scores were fair. 

Chris - So Chris was essentially a forklift in that contemporary as I pretty much expected and really even that he didn't do particularly well in my opinion. I didn't see any performance and passion that the judges were talking about. He did okay with the lifts but the dance was really just meh and the Paso isn't even worth talking about. Chris looked like he completely forgot the choreography at points of the dance and he essentially just walked around while Witney and Lindsey danced next to him. I was glad that the judges stopped blowing bullshit smoke up his ass and were honest about that dance. 

Riker - I thought the Viennese Waltz was a little manic but really, what else is new with these two. So I thought they were a little overscored. It was good but not great and I'm tired of feeling like Allison is about to beat me up when I watch her dance. The Jazz was cute, a little too much "jazz hands" for my taste and I actually funny enough enjoyed Allison's Jazz with Jonathan more last season but it was fun. Really surprised he didn't get a perfect score for it. 

Robert - I actually enjoyed Robert's contemporary a lot more than Chris', not surprisingly because Robert from day one has been a much better performer and technical dancer than Chris. Unfortunately, it didn't work out so well for him in in the Samba. Kym and Jenna looked gorgeous and boy were they working it but there was no hip action going on with Robert and his Samba walks and bounce was almost nonexistent. 

Nastia - I thought her scores for the Paso Doble was fair. I was actually pretty disappointed in that choreography. I thought that was an instance of content being sacrificed for concept. Paso is one of my favorite dances and I just didn't see enough of the content. I also thought Nastia lacked the intensity in her upper body and core. She didn't have the Paso posture needed for much of the dance. On another note, I had to agree with Julianne that Derek looked ridiculous. The Jive was much better and a lot of fun. The concept worked really well and Nastia not only danced it really well but she actually performed the number brilliantly. The package was interesting. I loved her refusal to give the producers what they wanted, even if that still didn't stop them from creating a negative package (hell it probably only made them want to create one even more). Her irritated "I'm not going to talk to you about it," was awesome. That's a girl who definitely does not like showing weakness or vulnerability to people.

Rumer - Holy overscoring batman. Apparently the judges and I were watching completely different dances with Rumer's rumba. It was beautiful, she looked beautiful, I finally saw some tenderness from her, though it was still dramatic and intense at points but what I did not see was a Rumba. I saw virtually no rumba hip movement from Rumer, no rumba walks and yet the judges deemed that a perfect rumba. Well okay then. The Paso was miles better because at least it was a recognizable Paso and them having traditional Paso music really helped I thought. That said, I didn't love it. It was good but didn't really hit and impact for me the way some of my favorite Paso's on the show have done. But after seeing her get a perfect score for a barely recognizable rumba, I knew it was a given she was going to end the night with a perfect score. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I think ... one? trio in the history of the show has had a third member that was the same gender as the star?

Two, from what I remember. Apolo/Karina/Sasha and Sadie/Mark/Emma.

• Love 1

Oh please. Of course Rumer and Val got an 80. They had to make up for last week.

Is Witney really foolish enough to think by simply bringing in Lindsay for the trio that it would have recreated the unfreakinbelivable paso trio from last season? In case it hasnt been painfully obvious, Chris is no Alfonso.

Noah and Chris should be the ones leaving but I fear Robert will be leaving instead of one of them.

• Love 3

I thought Derek's concept for the trio was cool.  It was different and was well executed.

Witney and Lindsay just seem so young when they are together.  Bachelor and Noah need to go away in the double elimination.  I'm bored.

• Love 4

I liked Rumer's trio the best because she was the star of the dance.  I liked that the boys kept their jackets on and gave HER the solo.  And Val finally caught on about the straight up Rumba.  Loved it.

I'm thinking Derek read the social media last week, and at least included Sasha in the post dance interviews. Didn't like their first dance -- it was too distracting to have the staging pause to include Dereck.  I wish he could trust Sasha in this. The trio was much better.

Robert, Noah and Chris are fighting for the sole survivor into next week.

• Love 5
(edited)

The redemption arc for Rumer did seem a bit contrived (give "traditionalist" Val awful songs two weeks in a row, and then give him some great classic ones, tadaaah! They're back!) but I'll go along with it. They were good. Glad to see Val admit that he gets too intense and sucks the fun out of everything. I called that out last week! Validation! Way to be self-aware, Val!

I missed everything before their rhumba, so I'd have to go back, but I'm not surprised the Derek in the Paso thing didn't go over well. They put that up as an "America's Choice" thing on the DWTS Instagram (Should Derek be Cesear or should he sit in the audience?) and all the comments were voting for him to be Cesear - and I had a bit of a bad feeling about it. 

It was Nastia's turn to get jobbed in that second package, I guess - I caught some of their live stream this week and she was happy, bubbly, and had super fun chemistry with both Derek and Sasha. They were all rather hilarious with each other. I don't feel like we've gotten to see that side of her on the actual show. I liked the jive - I agree with the comments that having them dance "all together" has lost impact since all the troupe stuff, so it was a fun different twist. Whyyy that makeup and hair for Nastia though?

Riker's jazz (I almost straight up called it a freestyle) was really great - he def drove that. Though I'd expect him to, that's right in his wheelhouse. (Whatever his ballroom training is or isn't, he definitely has extensive training in that sort of dance.) A little obnoxious with the, "We chose Brittany because she could dance at our level" stuff. Really? None of the other pros would be worthy of you?

Robert...zzzzzzzzz...Noah...zzzzz.....Chris...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 2

I was disappointed with the trios this time around. I usually enjoy them a lot, and there's at least one that wows me, but not this time. Chris seemed to be visibly counting steps, and was Lindsey chewing gum? It was very distracting. Derek usually gets accused at least once a season of hiding his partner's weaknesses by doing a "sitting down and hand dancing" dance. This week and last, it was his own injuries he's hiding. Waving your hands in sync doesn't meet my standard for good dancing.

I liked both Rumer's dances, thought they deserved the top scores. I also liked Nastia's paso; it was an interesting concept and well performed. 

• Love 3

Loved loved loved Rumer and Val's rumba. That was dancing. The paso was pretty good too, but I adore Strictly Ballroom, so yeah. Not sure it deserved 40 though. I loved the music for both their dances. Actually fit the styles for a change!

I liked Chris and Witney's contemporary, but that paso was pretty meh. Chris didn't do much and couldn't hold his butt in for most of it. Witney and Lindsay did all the work.

Riker and Allison's Viennese waltz was so frantic, once again. I just can't. They only have one speed and it's turbo. Allison's overemoting is painful too. The "jazz" was better, but I couldn't really figure out what the style was until afterwards when someone said it. It was just a mix of whatever as usual. Riker was pretty entertaining in it though.

Didn't like either of Nastia's routines that much. Derek could've stayed out of the paso and the trio wasn't a trio, except for the last 2 seconds. Didn't really differ much from her routine last week.

Robert was alright in the cheesy contemporary, but the samba was pretty bad. He looked so small next to the ladies and messed up some steps.

Noah can just go. I thought that tango was awful. The salsa was a bit better, but not because of him.

• Love 5

I really liked both of Val and Rumer's dances.  I don't really know Rumba except what I know from reality dance shows, so when I say it looked to me like it started as a rumba and then it veered towards the tango or something, I may be spouting absolute b.s.

I really liked how vulnerable Robert let himself look in his contemporary.  He's pretty old to be pulling that off.  And the beginning of his trio was pretty awesome.  

I want Chris gone really badly.  Witney is back to annoying me almost as much as she did on SYTYCD.

I realized tonight that I like the troupe.  I hated them for at least two seasons, maybe more.  Brittany was way too posey-posey for the cameras tonight, but many of them have learned to tone it down.

Derek irritates the f**k outta me, but I liked his trio concept and most of its execution.

I liked Nastia's paso. I thought it was a creative way to use Derek without having him try to join in or ham it up when the focus needs to be on Nastia and her actual dancing partner Sasha. I don't know if it had enough paso elements in it, but as an overall dance I found it entertaining to watch. I liked how Nastia would flip Sasha around and in the end came out the "victor" of the clash in the arena.

I also liked Rumer's dances tonight. I'm not sure the paso trio had enough power (my favorite is still Alfonso / Witney / Lindsay), but the two dances she did tonight seemed to be focused on the dancing and not on gimmicks, so I liked it.

I felt bad for Riker. He danced his heart out and it was terrific and fun to watch. I think his trio should have gotten four 10's.

• Love 2

I loved the Dance Center teaser and can hardly wait to see another Dance Center.

I just don't like Riker, but then I can't stand Julianne either and am generally somewhat annoyed by Derek, so it may be an anti-Hough bias.

• Love 4

God, I am tired of Riker and Allison. Specifically, Allison. If they aren't part of the double elimination I'm going to be pissed!

• Love 5

The non trio dance by Nastia and Golden Boy was awful!  They barely danced as a trio.  If anyone else had done that they would have been called out for not performing as a trio.

This was a very lackluster night.  I voted for Chris because he is the only one left I remotely like.  I would like Noah if he was not with Sharna.  Robert is okay ,but the showmance has turned me off from him.

I can't stand Riker or Rumer.  With another partner, Nastia might have been alright.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Rumer and Val's dance was the only good one in the entire first half. I was so glad to see a rumba that wasn't contemporary-lite routine with groping and and almost-kissing, as well actual dance content with the appropriate style instead of "Oh, I thought you wouldn't notice the obvious lift!"

I snorted at Len's comment about "hordes dancing". For some reason, I had the mental image of the Huns galloping across the dancing floor during a routine. Which is about all that's missing some weeks.

Chris and Robert's trios were painful. They need to go. They basically stood in the center and were shamefully out-danced by the pro girls. They were way too nice to Robert. At least Noah tries. What's their excuse?

Sasha out-danced Nastia in the trio. The idea was great, but it HAS been done before. It's actually a super common dance routine staple for trios. Mark, Val and Witney even did that same kind of love triangle routine- complete with doorway transitions- on the DWTS Tour. Not the same type of dance, obviously, but same concept, which is what he got compliments on.

It wasn't a great jive. At moments, she was awkward and slow. I don't get the judges' overreaction. I think they were overcompensating for the negative, loser-edit package where Derek was a douche to Nastia and Nastia was a bitch to the producer in hopes voters would forget it happened.

This happened last season too- Val got the first perfect 10 dance of the season and Derek got one later in the same episode. God help us if Val actually best Derek. I completely thought someone would give Rumer's trio a 9 just to drill it home, so I was surprised they got a second perfect score.

It was weird how they completely dropped the America's choice theme very early. Considering the lengths they went to to film a new opening for the night, I don't think it came up at all past the half-hour mark.

So now jazz means contemporary, freestyle, Broadway AND hip-hop? Can someone please take the producers to a basic entry-level dance class?

Edited by skittl3862
  • Love 4

I want Chris and Nastia to go.  She looks joyless and I hated that trio.  I love Sasha, but still didn't like it.  I liked the simplicity of Rumer's dances.  I have not been a fan of the overproduced routines this season.

• Love 4

I just don't like Riker, but then I can't stand Julianne either and am generally somewhat annoyed by Derek, so it may be an anti-Hough bias.

You have company. I'm always more than a little pissed off that the producers (and most fans) think turning a reality competition into a family business is OK. To have a woman judging her own brother was bad enough - and this cycle they add a cousin? There has to be a couple of dozen other basic cable tween stars who would be more than happy to hit prime time network TV. He could be the second coming of Nureyev and I'd still want him off my screen.

• Love 7

I wish I could like Riker more. Actually, I do like Riker, I just really dislike Allison and my dislike for her overpowers my like for him. I wish had had been paired with someone else. 

If there is any justice, some combo of Chris, Robert or Noah should go home tomorrow. I actually would rather another week of Chris over either of the other two at this point. I think. I am not sure that I really care which is how I feel about this whole season. 

Did Derek tell Nastia that she really gets useless when she gets tired in the package for the jive? Yikes. 

• Love 1

Strangely enough, I actually liked Chris's contemporary, but I think that has less to do with Chris than with the fact that I enjoy Witney's dancing, and for once, we had a dance that was slow and smooth. He did pretty well with the lifts too. The candlelit ambiance was quite nice, and it hid the audience a bit. (As an aside, since when did the audience stand up during the entirety of the dance? I would hate to be an audience member in the back who was short and not be able to see the actual dancing.)

I rather liked Nastia's trio and the concept was very cute, though didn't think that she did the actual jive particularly well. While I'm glad she showed some backbone with the producers, the expression on her face was rather unpleasant. Was not a fan of their paso.

Noah's tango was really, really stiff and awkward, though if you only judge by the other half of his body, I think he could be a decent dancer with all his limbs.

Brittany! Her calmness was especially evident next to Allison. She sparkled without being frantic. Found myself only looking at her during that trio. I really can't bring myself to like Allison's dancing, though I do wonder if I might like her better live from farther away than with a close-up camera. Often, I think dancers are taught to project and dance big, which in her case on a camera that focuses closely becomes a little too much.

Rumer was nice. Both of those dances were very much in her wheelhouse, and Val was sweet in his remarks. 

Based on dancing, I think Robert and Noah should leave, though I continue to enjoy Robert's enthusiasm and Noah and Sharna's partnership. Based on personality (or lack thereof), Chris should leave.

Did Derek tell Nastia that she really gets useless when she gets tired in the package for the jive? Yikes. 

He also said something along the lines of, "You are really something else when you're tired." The irony: he's sitting on his ass all the while, scrolling through his phone.

• Love 5

Certainly the production of the jive isn't new, but it was entertaining. I found myself disappointed this week in Nastia's dances because her jive was not very strong, a little heavy footed in parts, and the Paso Doble was messy and out of sync in parts. Also I thought the Paso costumes were heavy or weighty, or something. The whole Derek must be on the show as Nero was unnecessary and I think adds to the burden and detracts from  Sasha and Nastia at least as temporary partners.   

Riker can dance, he did a pirouette and an axle in that Jazz and held his own. But something about his movement is awkward. He would be great as a comedic dancer, like say a Dick Van Dyke, but as the lead as a hot guy, not so much. I thought that frantic Viennese Waltz was overscored, Allison again goes only one speed 

Robert again just lost timing, but the Samba concept was cute.  

Chris oh man, a forklift with a butt sticking out, and the paso was painful 

Noah dances boxy, hes been dancing that way since the beginning. I do appreciate the choreography but he almost lost Emma on that last pose. 

• Love 3

God, I am tired of Riker and Allison. Specifically, Allison. If they aren't part of the double elimination I'm going to be pissed!

If Riker goes home before the three guys who have trouble dancing (or don't dance much at all, in the case of Noah), I'M going to be pissed!

• Love 10
(edited)

I am over, over, over Robert. And this showmance with Kym. I don't care if it's real -- it creeps me out. His constant wide-eyed, mouth-gaping smile creeps me out. So I'm super ok if he's the next to go.

Loved Riker's trio dance; loved Nastia's trio dance; love Rumer's dances. These are the only ones I want to see in the Final Three.

Noah is fine -- I am in awe of him and in awe of Sharna's choreography. But I won't be bummed if it's become his time to go. He has been an amazing example to so many.

Chris is improving -- he doesn't do much for me either way.

Robert for the boot tomorrow.....either Chris or Noah for the other boot. Anyone other than them, a big NOOOO.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 1

Two, from what I remember. Apolo/Karina/Sasha and Sadie/Mark/Emma.

Also Roshon/Chelsie/Sasha and William Levy/Cheryl/Tony for their PasoDobles.

He also said something along the lines of, "You are really something else when you're tired." The irony: he's sitting on his ass all the while, scrolling through his phone.

This is also the man who told Brooke Burke that she had a lazy mind

I'm not surprised Nastia wasn't great with her assigned dance styles. I feel like she's had surprisingly few showstoppers for someone with all of her gifts this late in the season. What's left for her? Waltz, Contemporary, and Cha Cha? She had a good week last week but she's still missing that anticipation factor for me each week. Plus I still find her an awkward performer lacking even if her smiles seem more genuine with Sasha.

• Love 2