Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E09: Week 8: America's Choice

• Start Topic

I did get a kick out of Derek's ridiculous get-up, though. But as an hommage to Mark it wasn't committed enough to crazy IMO lol. There should have been face paint, wigs, masks. And he was able to breathe through his nose. He could have applied himself more there. (-;

I thought it was hilarious that Julianne told him he looked ridiculous. It seemed like a very "sibling" kind of thing to say. Totally made me laugh (and think of my brother and sister).

I haven't seen all the seasons so I can't say what kind of person Derek seems to be, but for me in this episode he didn't seem "assy." Nastia seemed to be having a rough week, she was crabby (no judgment, I can understand being tired and hitting a wall), but in the moment it just seemed like Derek was trying to get her to verbalize some of it, perhaps so that the audience could better understand and relate to her as a contestant and what she's going through physically and mentally. It helps people connect to her. Like in how he said something about her just being honest about what she's feeling, was all that would be needed. Unfortunately, I think she made it worse by completely closing off in that moment and losing her temper and deciding she was done for the day. (Though it's certainly understandable, and I think many of us have been there, where we're too tired and frustrated to make a different choice in the moment.)

On the other hand, perhaps he could have eased up, seeing how very much not in the mood for talking she was at that moment. Still, I don't think he did anything particularly egregious. He was just trying to talk it out with her so they could move forward and keep going. Sometimes people find that helpful. Apparently Nastia is not one of those people, especially when she's tired.  *GRIN*

• Love 1

Everything has been designed to paved [sic] [Val's] way to the mirrorball trophy. It's been apparent from day one. Can't provide any proof or actual convincing arguments for this theory, but it's totally obvious.

Well, it's not obvious to me, but I certainly hope you're right.

• Love 4

This might be an unpopular opinion but I felt really bad for Nastia tonight. I feel like there are a lot of high expectations placed on her and she has the least experience with being an entertainer as anyone on the show. Nastia spent most of her life practically in a vacum perfecting her craft. Which in her case was very technical. She is bound to be somewhat out of her league when it comes to reality tv.

I can appreciate being tired, under pressure and not being used to this kind of environment of scrutiny, but I don't think Nastia's any stranger to media. As an Olympian, I'm sure she had to deal with a massive amount of press, answering questions about herself, her gymnastics, her thoughts on other gymnasts, the stress of prepping for an Olympic run, all that kind of thing. 

Derek said in the package that they only practice 2-3 hours normally. Doesn't everyone else practice 5-6 hours? Imagine what she could have been doing if Derek had been able to fully commit.

I definitely think Derek shouldn't have joined this season, given all his other responsibilities, but isn't part of it her schedule as well? I thought someone mentioned she was in school?

Even so, if it were Riker to go based solely on the portion of his Jazz trio dance where he executed the most pathetic crotch grab in the history of genitals, that would be entirely justified.

When did that happen? I must have completely missed it because I don't remember that kind of move at all.

Derek was superfluous in the paso, but at least he pretty much stayed out of the way.  But he got it wrong at the end - thumbs down meant put your blade in the ground next to the guy and let him live; thumbs up meant 'send him to heaven.'  Oh well.  Blame Hollywood for that.

I'd blame confusing ancient paintings as well. I read this about why they chose the thumbs down (to mean "kill him") in the movie Gladiator:

"According to director Ridley Scott, that scene was inspired by a painting from 1872 called “Pollice Verso“. The painting depicts a victorious gladiator standing over the lifeless body of his opponent while a baying crowd jeers and delivers a tsunami of down-turned thumbs. Scott stated of the painting, “That image spoke to me of the Roman Empire in all its glory and wickedness. I knew right then and there I was hooked.”"

Everything's open for interpretation!

As much as I like Robert, I think that he, Noah, and/or Chris should be the ones getting eliminated tonight. They're not on the same level of dancing as Rumer, Riker, and Nastia and it would be a shame to see any of these three leave like Willow last week.

My favorite of the night was Rumer. I thought both of her dances were great especially the rumba because of its simplicity.

Nastia's attitude in the package last night was probably unpleasant to some, but I commend her for not giving into providing the drama that the producers obviously wanted from her.

In terms of her dances, her paso was good, but it had synchronization issues and once again, I don't understand why Derek can't step aside for a moment and let Nastia be the star. Don't get me wrong, I like Derek, but just like last week, his presence during Sasha and Nastia's dance was unnecessary and distracting. He should've just waited for the trio dance.

During the first number?  I didn't find Derek distracting at all (the wonky Cesar hair, yes, him not so much) as he was only shown as Nastia and Sasha walked out to the "arena" and again at the end when he gave the "thumbs down."  During the dance, the focus was on Nastia and Sasha.

• Love 3

When did that happen? I must have completely missed it because I don't remember that kind of move at all.

I didn't remember it either, so I went back and watched. If you watch the DWTS video uploaded to YouTube, the only movement that looks remotely like a crotch grab happens around :40. I wouldn't necessarily call it a crotch grab, but compared to the girls' hand placements, it does seem... er, interesting. 

• Love 1

I had been letting myself fall into the thought that the big productions were needed to keep people interested, but after watching that rumba, I am firmly back in the belief that beautiful, classic dancing with the occasional production or an extra dancer or two would be highly entertaining.  Then the freestyles would still seem special.  The last few seasons it's been hard to tell the freestyles from the rest of the dances.

I agree! I like group numbers that highlight the star (like Amber Riley's freestyle dance), but to really make those group numbers special, they should only be used occasionally. To have them happening every week in some form or another takes away their impact. And also makes us forget how awesome a smaller, more intimate dance can be. Bigger isn't always better.  *GRIN*

Can I just say how much it amused me to have the show come back from commercial and see Tom shoveling in birthday cake? I like how he let Erin do all the talking, he kept eating, and then he was all, "It's really good cake." LOL. 

• Love 4

I'd blame confusing ancient paintings as well. I read this about why they chose the thumbs down (to mean "kill him") in the movie Gladiator:

"According to director Ridley Scott, that scene was inspired by a painting from 1872 called “Pollice Verso“. The painting depicts a victorious gladiator standing over the lifeless body of his opponent while a baying crowd jeers and delivers a tsunami of down-turned thumbs. Scott stated of the painting, “That image spoke to me of the Roman Empire in all its glory and wickedness. I knew right then and there I was hooked.”"

Everything's open for interpretation!

If the painting was from 1872, the painter just got it wrong, too.  < lol >  It does make more sense to me based on more modern usage that thumbs-down would mean kill the guy while thumbs-up would mean let him live, but the context of thumbs-up meaning in effect send him to heaven makes perfect sense as well with thumbs-down being put down your weapon.  We know meanings of things change over time.  :)

• Love 2
I didn't remember it either, so I went back and watched. If you watch the DWTS video uploaded to YouTube, the only movement that looks remotely like a crotch grab happens around :40. I wouldn't necessarily call it a crotch grab, but compared to the girls' hand placements, it does seem... er, interesting. 

Ha, yes. That's the move I meant. Possibly "grab" is giving him too much credit. It was more like a swing and a miss.

TkJMYIu.jpg

• Love 2

Thanks for the link, but I'm really not buying it. Ten years since her mother died and she has to go home to be with her family (I think that is her older sister and uncle? Can't quite remember) not the man she loves?

And then there's Chris, "“I’m kind of focused on trying to get the mirror ball. I have her in the evenings, we talk about the day and she’s my number one fan. I know she’s there for me and when all this is over, it will be nice to just be together.”

Just confirming how I see him--as a "me, me, me" kind of guy. I'm sure all the (female) attention he's gotten since The Bachelor hasn't helped either. Hopefully he and Noah will go home tonight.

We get it Derek. You're inserting yourself into the dances and making sure that everyone knows you're the big cheese and Sasha is just a warm body filling in for you but if I was Nastia and a guy was all over me like Derek, he'd get a subtle knee where it hurts.

I'm no Derek fan (or apologist), but I'm sure the show's producers and/or the network have a big say in how much we see of Derek. The show is pretty convinced that Derek is a big audience draw and they probably throw all kinds of money at him to stick around. The two seasons Derek sat out, the ratings really dropped. So I'm sure there are producers and network people there making sure we see as much of Derek as possible even when he's injured. (I do agree he tends to hang all over Nastia up in the skybox, though).

And again, not a fan, but that trio dance was awesome. It was like something out of a classic 1940s MGM musical. I was impressed. I especially loved the part where Sasha slid Nastia through the doorway to Derek. The only problem is that Nastia, Sasha and Derek have been doing trio dances for the last two dances. 

I liked both of Rumer's dances but I've never seen a Rumba danced that fast before. I liked it, but it was unlike any Rumba I've seen on this show.

Noah and Robert need to go but I strongly suspect there's going to be a shocking elimination, probably Riker.

'm not sure what's up with Erin, but I'm finding her so annoying and easily flustered this season. Stop begging Rob and Kim to kiss. She was such a breath of fresh air after dummy Brooke and finally we found a host who was quick enough to keep up with Tom, but I don't think she can keep up anymore.

I have found her flustered and tongue-tied always, since she got this job. She's awful. Brooke and Samantha may have been vapid but they were far more poised and articulate. And yeah, I know she's got an ear-piece and producers are talking to her while she's talking, but she's had plenty of practice at this by now. Leah Remini did a better job as a replacement and she'd never done it before. If you don't have the skills to manage it, you shouldn't have the job. 

• Love 1

Thanks for the link, but I'm really not buying it. Ten years since her mother died and she has to go home to be with her family (I think that is her older sister and uncle? Can't quite remember) not the man she loves?

If it's tradition for them to be together on that day or around that time, yeah, I'd believe it. In fact, any guy who didn't understand why I needed to be there with my family wouldn't be worth my time. Chris sounds like he understood why under the circumstances celebrating her mother was more important than a silly dance competition.

Just confirming how I see him--as a "me, me, me" kind of guy. I'm sure all the (female) attention he's gotten since The Bachelor hasn't helped either. Hopefully he and Noah will go home tonight.

Agreed. Though I appreciate that he's loosened up, dance-wise, over the past couple of weeks and seems to be having more fun, in general I do think it's time for him to go home. And definitely time for Noah to go home.

• Love 1
(edited)

Last night, I Tweeted, "I still have no idea who Riker is, or what makes his a 'star.' #DWTS," and some Hough fangirl answered me. "He's Derek and Julianne's cousin!"

Really? And that makes him a "star?" 

I still don't know who he is, besides having the advantage of being related to a judge, and having a REALLY BAD HAIRCUT. And he can dance fairly well (but not enough to make me vote for him). 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2

From the recap/review:

In rehearsals, Riker talks a lot about his personal style and how he's inviting us to his party. I have a much easier time rooting for Riker when he doesn't talk.

That totally cracked me up, Kim. I like Riker too, but yeah, sometimes... no talking. Especially about parties. LOL.

Last night, I Tweeted, "I still have no idea who Riker is, or what makes his a 'star.' #DWTS," and some Hough fangirl answered me. "He's Derek and Julianne's cousin!"

Really? And that makes him a "star?"

I still don't know who he is, besides having the advantage of being related to a judge, and having a REALLY BAD HAIRCUT. And he can dance fairly well (but not enough to make me vote for him).

I wouldn't call him a star, but he has been a regular singer/dancer/performer on the TV show Glee (and did well enough that he stood out to me amongst a lot of the other guys he was performing with in scenes). Anyway, that's how I know him.

I will add that sometimes the star gets lost amongst the crowd, doing a trio, but I felt like Riker more than held his own. I couldn't take my eyes off him. The girls were secondary (though still noticeable enough because of the times when they were all wonderfully in sync with even the smallest hand gestures). I thought their trio was terrific. Lots of fun to watch.

I think my favorite of the night still goes to Rumer and Val with the rumba. I loved the timing of it all, the music, the sensuality... all of it. I thought they were both very sexy together in that dance. Great job!

• Love 3

Ha, yes. That's the move I meant. Possibly "grab" is giving him too much credit. It was more like a swing and a miss.

TkJMYIu.jpg

I just wonder how many years this kid will have to hide in the closet for the sake of his fangirls. This is just my speculation obviously.

• Love 1

I'm no Derek fan (or apologist), but I'm sure the show's producers and/or the network have a big say in how much we see of Derek. The show is pretty convinced that Derek is a big audience draw and they probably throw all kinds of money at him to stick around. The two seasons Derek sat out, the ratings really dropped. So I'm sure there are producers and network people there making sure we see as much of Derek as possible even when he's injured. (I do agree he tends to hang all over Nastia up in the skybox, though).

The show's highest rated season overall was actually Season 12, the season he sat out. The ratings started their nosedive the following season (Season 12 had 22.4 million average viewers while Season 13 had 17.6 million average viewers), they had another big drop during the All Star Season and have since stayed relatively steady with the Spring seasons generally performing better than the Fall seasons. 

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/05/dancing-with-the-stars-hits-its-highest-ratings-ever-even-without-bristol-palin-.html

The ratings are on a slow, steady decline these days but that is true for TV shows across the board. Season 19 averaged around 12.76 million viewers. Things are up so far this season over Season 19 but down compared to Season 18, the last spring season. 

At any rate, I agree with you that Derek is a draw and the producers likely want to keep him around as much as possible but it is not true that the ratings suffered when he sat out. I think he has actually only missed that one season since joining the show in Season 5. He announced he was leaving the show after All Stars (Season 15) but then he came back for Season 16, much like this season.

Sorry for veering slightly off topic - I am just interested in the ratings patterns of this show. 

• Love 3

I've been surprised how many people dislike Erin. While I think she's seemed more scattered and uptight this season than usual, she's still imo such a vast improvement over Brooke or Samantha. Both of them were so vacuous in their interviews, so unable to convey that they were capable of "thinking on their feet" at any time.

Erin is lively, intelligent and quick witted enough to engage with Tom and contestants. She is undoubtedly getting lots of direction from producers but still makes it all look and sound spontaneous and even fun. I might not have noticed if she'd been there from the start, but after the wooden, lifeless interviews and comments of Brooke and Samantha, I really appreciate what Erin's brought to DWTS.

• Love 11

I'm usually fine with Erin. But I do want her to STOP ASKING COUPLES TO KISS! Or get naked... or answer questions about whether or not they're dating... or anything like that. It's enough already.

• Love 8

Did Val & Rumer watch "Strictly Ballroom" this week? I thought it was interesting that both of their numbers came from the soundtrack.

Rumer performs (for the last 18 months) musical theatre show based loosely on 4 of his films including 'Strictly Ballroom'. You can search Youtube for her performances, where it quickly becomes obvious that she is an actor and singer and her dancing skills are purely rudimentary. Kudos to her for being open to learn and to Val for teaching her and helping her develop into the captivating dancer we've seen on our tv screen over the last 8 weeks!

• Love 2

I've been surprised how many people dislike Erin. While I think she's seemed more scattered and uptight this season than usual, she's still imo such a vast improvement over Brooke or Samantha. Both of them were so vacuous in their interviews, so unable to convey that they were capable of "thinking on their feet" at any time.

Erin is lively, intelligent and quick witted enough to engage with Tom and contestants. She is undoubtedly getting lots of direction from producers but still makes it all look and sound spontaneous and even fun. I might not have noticed if she'd been there from the start, but after the wooden, lifeless interviews and comments of Brooke and Samantha, I really appreciate what Erin's brought to DWTS.

That's about how I feel too. Brooke had no improvisational ability, somewhat necessary when hosting a live show. Plus she just came across as cold and vapid. What it boils down to for me is annoying yet competent is better than annoying and incompetent. I do think Erin was a lot stronger last season, however.

• Love 3
(edited)

Derek has always been very handsy and hanging on his partners. It was most obvious with Lil Kim because she was so short, he hugged her around her neck and always looked like he was choking her through the judges' comments and eliminations.

Edited by majormama

Welp, I loved Len's, "tell it to the hand." Awesome. I loved Bruno missing the chair and Tom's response. He wasn't hurt, so that made it ok to laugh hysterically. I know dudes cry, and that's fine; but I don't need to see it here [/Val]

That's about how I feel too. Brooke had no improvisational ability, somewhat necessary when hosting a live show. Plus she just came across as cold and vapid. What it boils down to for me is annoying yet competent is better than annoying and incompetent. I do think Erin was a lot stronger last season, however.

ITA. Also think Erin was her strongest her first season (18) after the first couple of weeks. I wonder how much production is forcing on her w/ the full change in EP starting S19? If so, I wish they'd let Erin be Erin.

• Love 2

Well, I totes love Tom. I do get the sense that TPTB leave him alone so that he can wing it and be awesome and witty all by himself. OTOH< I get the sense that Erin has someone in her ear, giving her micromanaging direction perhaps ...and that throws her off, maybe unfairly? IDK. Just throwin' it out there.

• Love 4
(edited)

America's Choice

Noah - good job to the extent of what he's able to do but it still felt like it was a series of poses. I think we've seen all we're going to see and time for him to go.

Chris - he thinks he has "a shot at winning this thing" - oh boy!  Chris didn't actually do much, laid on the floor, turned around a few times, lifted Witney. I actually chuckled near the end when he stretched and lifted a leg in a pose.  Not sure what the judges meant by his best dance so far, unless they are encouraging him to do less and basically be Witney's jungle gym. Two 9s??? For what!

This is why we lose someone like Willow.  The poor performers' with rabid fans get absurdly excalated scores, so someone with a weak fanbase but great dances just can't compete. (Noted Glamour article quoted by Danseur: exec producers saying voting has been awfully close.)  TPTB know or should know by now that child fans are notorious for tweeting and instagramming, but not voting.

Riker - my bias is until he comes clean on his dancesport experience, he ain't getting votes from me.  That said, his Viennese Waltz was much too hard, too fierce, which is Allison's fault, not Rikers. And what was with the overwraught facial expressions?   I'm not real sure what Len was trying to say but I guess he liked it with a score of  9.  Why is no one telling Allison to chill?   Bruno kind of expressed it "raging torrent", "power", "giving it so much guts(?)" but not in a way that would register as a criticism.  Be gone. Allison, please don't come back.

Robert - First thought was whether Kym had ever choreographed a contemporary before or did she leave before contemporaries became standard. I can't be bothered to look back through my spreadsheet.  But it was entertaining and Robert did pretty well with it.  The kiss probably got him some votes from the showmancers. But serious, Erin, knock it off with the kiss stuff! I thought Robert should have gotten a higher score than Chris simply for doing waaaay more. Makes no sense.

Nastia -  Derek looked ridiculous. I saw someone compared him to the Burger "King" character.  I didn't need to see him on a throne giving thumbs down and clapping.  Anyway Nastia did pretty good though some of her facial expressions seemed out of place (little smiles).  Also there was a rather large mistake according to Tony & Gethin. When Nastia "threw" Sasha over her shoulder, Sasha was supposed to land on his feet. There was supposed to be something else to put him down and then put the sword in. Instead, Sasha somehow fell hard and then just slid into the ending position.  I think it's pretty well established that the judges do watch the dress rehearsals, so why wasn't a mistake mentioned?

Rumer - It was a beautiful performance but to me it looked more tango-light than a rumba.  I just didn't see much in the way of rumba moves.  Definitely the best dance of the night at this point but a perfect score? Where's the rumba? (Who was snorting when Len was talking about "no hoards"?) Not impressed with Val's little pity party.

Trios

Noah - Did he blindside Sharna by picking Emma?  Sharna's reaction was so strange.  He did some moving around and he's certainly a strong base to hold both Sharna and Emma. (armography?)  He did seem to keep the beat.

Chris - It looked like he was counting through the whole dance. This was a very weak paso. I'm wondering if Witney might have served him better by getting a male for their trio. A male could have "danced down" to Chris while giving him someone to emulate.  Then again, it was a crapshoot either way.  The scores started out right with the 7s. Don't know what Julianne and Bruno saw that warranted 8s.

Riker - It always amazes me how these pros can take a fall from 6' or so onto a hardwood floor and apparently be okay.  Has Allison not noticed his pigeon toed feet?  Rushed and sloppy looking but I guess anything goes with "jazz".

Robert - A little glitch in the footwork at the end but he was having fun with it. I agreed the with CAI that the choreo was messy (though I'm not sure that's what she meant).

Nastia - Must be real comforting trying to learn the jive and being called useless (regardless of the qualifiers) - Uh, No!  I'd be pissed too.  I think what was notable to me in the package was that even when Derek was blocking her from the camera, she still wouldn't open up to him or find any comfort from him.  She just wanted out of there.   I didn't think the Sasha side of the jive was 10 worthy - I wondered if the sofa was in the way. The Derek side of the jive only told me that it was more important for Derek to be in the dance than to present Nastia as best as possible.  Sorry but I don't care about gymnastic cartwheels by a gymnast in a jive.  They could have brought in Henry who Nastia is also used to dancing with as the 3rd.

Rumer - Perhaps a little soft but very enjoyable. Nicely done.

Overall, I'd say Rumer and Robert deserved their scores. Everyone else was overscored.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 7

Did Val & Rumer watch "Strictly Ballroom" this week? I thought it was interesting that both of their numbers came from the soundtrack.

Rumer was in a stage show, For the Record,Baz Lurhmann, and now I think she's in For the Record John Hughes in which the actors do little vingettes from these director's most famous movies, for Baz, Rumer played Fran from Strictly Ballroom, it is more a singing role than dancing, it seems she was inspired by the show to really learn to dance,  I was interested to learn if she had previous dance training and she really doesn't as indicated by this review of the play. 

http://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/six-degrees-nostalgia-stories-love-record-baz/

Val said he watched the movie years ago and just recently and said it inspired his career in Ballroom . 

• Love 1

Erin just gets worse and worse each week.  The whole bugging Robert and Kym to kiss is embarrassing to all involved.   And when she thinks she is being funny, she just is not.  Plus there is that whole unsavory mess with her boyfriend.

• Love 1

Thanks for the link, but I'm really not buying it. Ten years since her mother died and she has to go home to be with her family (I think that is her older sister and uncle? Can't quite remember) not the man she loves?

And then there's Chris, "“I’m kind of focused on trying to get the mirror ball. I have her in the evenings, we talk about the day and she’s my number one fan. I know she’s there for me and when all this is over, it will be nice to just be together.”

I like Riker too, but yeah, sometimes... no talking. Especially about parties.

The more he talked, the more I thought, Be quiet, Axl Heck. Your awesomeness is not as awesome as you think.

• Love 4

I don't get he a me vibe but I do get the feeling that a farm and Whitney are not a good fit. I don'T buy the "sad" reason she is away either. 10 years? Come on. I give her more credit than that nonsence. Just say she was bored and wanted to go do something fun. No need for an excuse.

• Love 1

I don't get he a me vibe but I do get the feeling that a farm and Whitney are not a good fit. I don'T buy the "sad" reason she is away either. 10 years? Come on. I give her more credit than that nonsence. Just say she was bored and wanted to go do something fun. No need for an excuse.

I don't think it's an excuse. She was in her old hometown for the Kentucky derby so she stayed a few more days to spend the anniversary of her mom's death with her grandmother. I think that's sweet. However, it doesn't explain her missing last week's show.

• Love 1

Chris is not good, I know DWTS love Shark Tank and The Bachelor, but even when the former bachelor Sean was on, he did not last this long.

Sean did last this long, actually.  He lasted 8 weeks to make the Trio dances (where Peta chose Sharna for a jazz routine) and was eliminated in 6th place.  Chris only outlasts Sean if he isn't eliminated 1st tonight.

Derek also called Nastia brain dead a week or two ago.

Derek's a tool. And this has been documented by his multiple former partners on DWTS.

Why are people still kissing his ass?

• Love 7
I think it's pretty well established that the judges do watch the dress rehearsals, so why wasn't a mistake mentioned?

I bought the special People edition celebrating the DWTS 10th anniversary, and they ask the judges when they see the dances. They said that unless they are invited to a rehearsal (like when they help the celebs to re-do a dance from earlier in the season), they only see them during the show. Of course not everything they say can be believed.

Other gems from the special edition include the producers saying how much everyone LOVES showmances - hee!

I have been a Riker fan in spite of the dance-background-hiding, but that "party" dance did nothing for me. Somehow it didn't click, maybe they were all trying too hard? 

I remember someone (Tom?) talking about the dress rehearsals being streamed. If the judges just happen to be in their dressing rooms then, they might just happen to watch the streaming... It sounded like "We all know they watch, but no one actually *says* it."

• Love 1

Derek's a tool. And this has been documented by his multiple former partners on DWTS.

Why are people still kissing his ass?

He's not only a tool, he's callous - he rides his partners so hard, it's shocking when they DON'T end up injured by the end of the season.

I think he can be a great choreographer, but there's no way in hell I'd want to be partnered with him on the show as a contestant.

• Love 1

It seemed obvious to me that Nastia's issue was not that Derek wanted to know what was wrong.  It was that she knew full well that whatever she said would be used for the package.  She was PR trained to within an inch of her life as a gymnast and she would never, ever, ever give up a weakness publicly unless directed to do so by a coach.  I also believe she was pissed that she had to deal with such open access at all.  As an olympian, she was used to the cocoon created by her people and USA Gymnastics staff.

The other thing I saw was how after the trio, she was literally incapable of enjoying the moment and the tongue bath the jidges were giving her and her team.  It was work for her to smile.  Again, it's a vestige of her training.  I feel for the lass.  "Tis a shame.  If she were to somehow win the Mirrorball, I am certain that she would not allow herself even a moment of pure satisfaction.

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked the staging for Nastia's trio, it was an interesting concept and a good way to work around Derek's injury. I continue to love Sasha and his eager beaver attitude. That being said, I'm not the biggest fan of sitting down dancing.  I've noticed the pros doing it more often in recent seasons and would prefer them to do their assigned dance without it.

I don't think that she came off bad in her package, just tired and over being filmed.  It would be frustrating trying to learn the dance and then having a camera in your face trying to stir things up.  She has been doing it for 8 weeks, but it is under different circumstances than other "stars" and it seems like the time in the season where people get hurt or are emotionally drained. Derek's passive aggressive digs can get under her skin or shake her as much as another pro's more vocal temper tantrums.  She's always seemed introverted and I doubt she talked out her feelings with her former coaches (even if it was her dad). It seemed like she wanted to work through it until people kept asking her to express what she was thinking. I think it was better that she left rehearsal and cooled down off camera than hashing it out to the producers and then it being shown to the audience.

I loved Rumor's trio - Artem makes everything better. I wish that they would return to standard ballroom more often. The producers are really into themes, so make it a theme night.

I was surprised that Peta wasn't chosen for the trio dances. I was even more surprised to find out that troupe members Jenna and Brittany weren't the same person.  I don't follow dance outside of DWTS and thought that the same troupe member danced in Riker and Robert's trio dances.  If anything, the trio dances help the audience notice the troupe members. My favorite trio dance is still Artem, Leah, and Henry's from last season. 

Edited by Wowzer
  • Love 1

I bought the special People edition celebrating the DWTS 10th anniversary, and they ask the judges when they see the dances. They said that unless they are invited to a rehearsal (like when they help the celebs to re-do a dance from earlier in the season), they only see them during the show. Of course not everything they say can be believed.

I remember someone (Tom?) talking about the dress rehearsals being streamed. If the judges just happen to be in their dressing rooms then, they might just happen to watch the streaming... It sounded like "We all know they watch, but no one actually *says* it."

There have been a few stars (sorry, can't remember which ones at the moment) who have said that the dress rehearsals are streamed to the judges trailers on the lot and they can choose to watch or not.  I'd be amazed if the judges ever admitted to it. There have also been numerous incidents over the seasons where their comments referred to something that happened in a dance during dress rehearsals that did not happen during the live show, things like a foot lifting off the floor and other errors.

• Love 2
I was surprised that Peta wasn't chosen for the trio dances. I was even more surprised to find out that troupe members Jenna and Brittany weren't the same person.  I don't follow dance outside of DWTS and thought that the same troupe member danced in Riker and Robert's trio dances.  If anything, the trio dances help the audience notice the troupe members. My favorite trio dance is still Artem, Leah, and Henry's from last season. 

She tweeted about it. She was picked for a trio, but then the concept of the dance changed and she was replaced.

http://tmi.me/1f3z8Q

• Love 2

She tweeted about it. She was picked for a trio, but then the concept of the dance changed and she was replaced.

http://tmi.me/1f3z8Q

Thanks! Good to know. I saw her in a buffer dance and couldn't believe she wasn't picked. I need to start looking more on social media.

I thought all of the chosen trio dancers were great, but would have loved Keo in a dance too.

More Artem in the trio next time! Val & Artem together are great! (I kinda forgot to watch Rumer the first time - oops!)

I hope Sasha gets a partner of his very own next season.

Yes!!  Artem is drool-worthy and Sasha can really dance.

To offset, lets give Derek Olivia de Havilland, Mark can have Dolly Parton and Val will work with Shirley Jones or Lauren Tewes.  It's only fair...

• Love 1

Thanks! Good to know. I saw her in a buffer dance and couldn't believe she wasn't picked. I need to start looking more on social media.

I thought all of the chosen trio dancers were great, but would have loved Keo in a dance too.

I had heard a Rumer that she was picked by Val for Rumer's dance, and then the concept changed to want a male dancer/Artem.

This is why I think there was no chance that "Noah picked Emma and surprised Sharna" - I thought it was well known that the pros usually work out the trios ahead of time amongst themselves, and everyone knows who's picking who.