Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E21: Under My Skin

When two New York City paramedics are killed during a kidnapping, Holmes and Watson join the manhunt to find the murderer and the woman he abducted. Also, Holmes learns important information about his recovery sponsor, Alfredo, that strains their relationship.

I thought this was a really engaging episode (inspired by Lucy, heh) that was stronger than the last few weeks. Though it was obvious the dentist was a bad guy when he came in and "helped"--that was so ridiculously obvious.

Poor Sherlock's FACE when Alfredo said they weren't friends in their first confrontation. That hurt my soul. And awwww their last scene was precious! And funny! Give me Alfredo yanking Sherlock's chain all the time! Ato Essandoh is so much fun in this role. I also loved how Joan was quietly supportive, letting Sherlock work through his stuff at his own pace and being there but not pushy.

I could be down for Joan/Alfredo. Also Joan/Bell!

Hee. "Clyde's helping?" "No, not really." Lazy Clyde, just chewing on his lettuce!

• Love 9

I really liked this episode, and now Alfredo is one of Sherlock's friends, aw! And lazy Clyde lol!

I do like Joan and Bell working together and could see some future sparkage there. On a shallow note, I just love Bell's voice. Like warm honey. I could listen to him mirandize me all day.

I also wonder how Sherlock got all those cars stacked & stored. Wonder if he had help from any irregulars!

• Love 5

...I also loved how Joan was quietly supportive, letting Sherlock work through his stuff at his own pace and being there but not pushy...

Yes. The exact opposite of tonight's Bones episode, with

the exact opposite outcome for the addict's sobriety.

Please don't judge me for watching Bones, but

maybe Brennan needs to watch Elementary.

If Clyde were going to submit an Emmy reel, this would be it. Heh.

He jokes, but the idea of Alfredo/Joan would be hilarious just to see Sherlock's passive aggressiveness to the entire relationship.  He would not be happy about that!

Always love Alfredo, so him showing up automatically gives the episode a boost compared to the norm.  Like the idea of Sherlock opening up and accepting that he considers him a friend now, and not just his sponsor, so now their relationship is changing.  This is a pretty awesome step for Sherlock, and Alfredo is more then worthy of being considered a friend.  I just dig their relationship and how they challenge one another.

Slacking on the job are we, Clyde?  Better be careful: Sherlock now knows what kind of music you hate, so he could punish with non-stop Taylor Swift!

Case was OK, even though I had Dr. Ward pegged early one.  But, I liked that since Sherlock was away, it let Joan and Bell do more, and play big parts in the case. Gregson also seemed to do a decent amount too. 

• Love 7

He jokes, but the idea of Alfredo/Joan would be hilarious just to see Sherlock's passive aggressiveness to the entire relationship.  He would not be happy about that!

But it would result in either a verbal or graphical Venn diagram of which folks are Holmes' friends, which are Joan's and  which they share!  Joan may be the one not happy about that. *g*

IA that the case was a nice excuse for Joan and Bell to solve crime. It was cool to see Oscar-winner Fisher Stevens play such a basically bright guy who didn't think things through. 

Alfredo is always welcome on my TV!  ITA about  Sherlock's face at Alfredo telling him he wasn't  a friend; so shocked and surprised.  Still, he figured out solutions to the situations and was victorious.  Except now, he has to find a new sponsor. *g*  At least he's a got a friend helping him with that.

"Lloyd" was a phone ad guy, but I am blanking on where else I've seen him. I chuckled that an ad slogan showed him up!  Okay,that and the threat of a loud break-up at the son's event. Holmes doesn't play, dude.

I smiled when I saw Clyde.  I don't know why, but the lil' fella is just cool.

Next week looks  intriguing!

• Love 2

But it would result in either a verbal or graphical Venn diagram of which folks are Holmes' friends, which are Joan's and  which they share!  Joan may be the one not happy about that. *g*

Joan: Hi Sherlock.

Sherlock: Hello Watson. It appears that Alfredo is keeping you adequately sexed.

Joan: GGrrr. You are impossible!

Edited by paigow
  • Love 2

Alfredo is always welcome on my TV!  ITA about  Sherlock's face at Alfredo telling him he wasn't  a friend; so shocked and surprised.  Still, he figured out solutions to the situations and was victorious.  Except now, he has to find a new sponsor.

I especially loved the small detail of the extraordinarily heavy sigh that Sherlock heaved at the end, when Alfredo pointed out a meeting nearby where he could meet potential candidates for a new sponsor. It was like Sherlock was already thinking, "Can I change our parameters back to sponsor and sponsee? Anything to keep me from having to meet and choose a new sponsor? It was hard enough the first time before I broke you in."   *GRIN*

I think my favorite line of the evening was "Not really" when an amused Joan asked Sherlock if Clyde was "helping" with his project. Heee. Poor Clyde, just sitting there,  chewing on some lettuce, minding his own business, and Sherlock has to insult his productivity levels. 

• Love 7

For the curious among you, The copy of the 15th century Voynich Manuscript that Sherlock was studying while Clyde munched lettuce is a real thing. Aside from a handful of words in Latin, it is written in an unknown language, or possibly some kind of code. Likewise, the plants illustrated within it have not and do not exist to our knowledge http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_13.htm. There have been many theories about it, including outsider art or hoax (which has been largely ruled out), but I have never heard anyone suggest that it was of extraterrestrial origin.

I think my favorite line of the evening was "Not really" when an amused Joan asked Sherlock if Clyde was "helping" with his project.

I think my favorite shot was right after your favorite line. Holmes suggests that Watson join the stakeout, saying that he himself had "plenty of diversions and company", with a quick cut to Clyde. Made me laugh.

eta: In the same scene, Joan pours herself a glass of something that appeared to be sitting on the counter in a screw topped bottle. What could that possibly be?

Edited by basil
  • Love 4

For the curious among you, The copy of the 15th century Voynich Manuscript that Sherlock was studying while Clyde munched lettuce is a real thing. Aside from a handful of words in Latin, it is written in an unknown language, or possibly some kind of code. Likewise, the plants illustrated within it have not and do not exist to our knowledge http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_13.htm. There have been many theories about it, including outsider art or hoax (which has been largely ruled out), but I have never heard anyone suggest that it was of extraterrestrial origin.

This link, http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/esp_ciencia_manuscrito02.htmwas the first thing to come up on a Google search of Voynich Manuscript aliens

• Love 2

The ending made me feel a little bad for Alfredo. I remember him saying he'd wanted to be a sponsor for a long time - presumably to help with his own sobriety, as well as helping someone else - and Sherlock was the only person willing to give him a chance. And now his sponsee fired him.

I do like Joan and Bell working together and could see some future sparkage there.

Did anyone else read this as spankage? Just me?

• Love 2

In the same scene, Joan pours herself a glass of something that appeared to be sitting on the counter in a screw topped bottle. What could that possibly be?

Some type of fancy water.  Of course, Sherlock and Joan wouldn't have a Brita or just use the tap.

I think my favorite shot was right after your favorite line. Holmes suggests that Watson join the stakeout, saying that he himself had "plenty of diversions and company", with a quick cut to Clyde. Made me laugh.

Yes! I forgot about that. It's those little touches that make me laugh because the show doesn't dwell on them, just has Sherlock say something weirdly random or the camera cut to something to make the point, and then they subtly move on. Meanwhile I'm missing the rest of the scene because I'm still having a good chuckle over it.   :)

• Love 1
Some type of fancy water.  Of course, Sherlock and Joan wouldn't have a Brita or just use the tap

At room temperature? Hmm. Could be. I know a lot of people who think cold beverages are bad for you, but that seems strange to me. The quality of NYC tap water is ranked quite high nation-wide, plus Watson is so terrifyingly practical that she doesn't seem to be the type to buy into the hype of bottled water (not to mention she seems to be environmentally conscious). Fun fact, though, there is sect sect of Orthodox Jews that will not drink NYC water because it contains microscopic shellfish. 

This link, http://www.bibliotec...anuscrito02.htmwas the first thing to come up on a Google search of Voynich Manuscript aliens

Thanks for that link. That is hilarious. Leave it to Sherlock to know about the most crackpot theory involving the Voynich Manuscript. Aliens and The End of Time (maybe they're a splinter group of the end of time group that was The Red Team of Season One). Most of the Voynich Manuscript consists of botanical drawings and naked people frolicking about. Only a small portion refers to the celestial.

Not to bring up the old pro/con AA/NA discussion, but I am glad that the show has finally mentioned (by way of Sherlock) some of the hazards of AA/NA.

Edited by basil

And this is why this incarnation of Sherlock is my favorite -- he actually wants friends.  And speaking of friends, can someone remind me how Sherlock acquired (and named) Clyde in the first place?  He's growing on me.

Fisher Stevens!  I knew you were trouble as soon as I saw you. Next time, pay attention to your attorney -- she knows how the system works.

It's funny, I was reading up on the Voynich Manuscript earlier in the day.  Didn't know about the alien theory, though.

• Love 1

And speaking of friends, can someone remind me how Sherlock acquired (and named) Clyde in the first place?  He's growing on me.

It's from an episode in season 1 called "The Red Team." A conspiracy theorist that Sherlock knew from online ended up missing (and eventually murdered) and when Sherlock went to his home to look for evidence of foul play, he found Clyde. He told Joan he was going to take Clyde home, fatten him up and eat him as a delicacy, but eventually he revealed he'd only been joking, he would never kill such a magnificent creature and that Clyde would likely outlive them all. Now of course he uses Clyde in many ways... music and behavioral test subject, substitute for an ambulance in a crime scene simulation, general paperweight, etc. (LOL.)

• Love 5

It was cool to see Oscar-winner Fisher Stevens

What did he win an Oscar for? I knew he'd be the bad guy as soon as I saw his name in the opening credits.

I really liked the twist at the end where they showed the guy standing outside the office looking like a member of the Chinese drug gang and the dentist's lawyer said it was probably a cop, and then it turned out he was.

• Love 1

I really really enjoyed when Marcus introduced Detective Yee. I cackled almost as loudly as when Alfredo asked for permission to date Joan. Two belly laughs out of a drama is more than I get out of most sitcoms. Well done, Elementary!

• Love 2

I enjoyed seeing Anthony Michael Hall as Turk. (IMDB doesn't list him, but I've been a fan of his for years. It also doesn't list the Serbian guy, who looked familiar.) A bit of a different role for him (though he did play a bad guy on...Warehouse 13, I think) - but since he admitted to the initial shootings, he clearly wasn't the "mastermind."

I liked that the reason the company fired Alfredo was because he was bugging them to fix the glitch he'd found. And his payback - moving cars around, just a little bit- was equal part embarrassing them because of what they'd done to him, and highlighting the problem with the alarm to their customers.  He's a pretty standup guy.

Loved that the lawyer was absolutely right about what the police were doing.

• Love 2

I liked that the reason the company fired Alfredo was because he was bugging them to fix the glitch he'd found. And his payback - moving cars around, just a little bit- was equal part embarrassing them because of what they'd done to him, and highlighting the problem with the alarm to their customers.  He's a pretty standup guy.

I really enjoyed that too.  When I read upthread that Sherlock has a problem with Alfredo I was afraid that it was going to be something much worse.  I loved Sherlock stacking the cars and making sure Alfredo went out where he would be seen so he'd have an alibi.

This was one of my favourite episodes this season.

• Love 2

Actually, Turk was played by Terry Serpico. He was in The Departed and had a memorable guest turn as a white supremacist on Person of Interest. (It was the episode they got Bear.)

My bad. They look very much alike these days.

• Love 3

"Lloyd" was a phone ad guy, but I am blanking on where else I've seen him. I chuckled that an ad slogan showed him up! 

Michael McGlone, of the GEICO ads and a short stint on Person of Interest, among other things.

• Love 1

Some type of fancy water.  Of course, Sherlock and Joan wouldn't have a Brita or just use the tap.

Actually they do have a Brita. I've seen Joan take one out of the fridge a few times over the years.

My bad. They look very much alike these days.

I thought that was AMH, too, but then I remembered I made that same mistake with Terry Serpico when he was on PoI, thinking he was AMH.  They really do look a lot a like.  

Very entertaining episode.  

HACK THE PLANET!  I'm going to have to re-watch that movie.  

• Love 2

Michael McGlone, of the GEICO ads and a short stint on Person of Interest, among other things.

How did I not recognize him?  I've loved him since the Brothers McMullen!

Maybe it was the toned down  accent?  Or I was so fixated on Alfredo? 

Edited by DeLurker

I don't know if it's just me or if there's some biological "this is a thing", but whenever I see even fictional harm done to either old people or children, it really hurts. Makes me cringe. Makes me not want to watch. Too uncomfortable. Seeing the ambush on the ambulance while the lady was attached to tubes etc and her face when she begged them not to hurt her because she was sick gave me that same feeling (not that she's senior or infant, just it evoked the same type of knee-jerk response). I know it was a super short scene but I almost couldn't bear to watch.

Which I suppose is a good thing on the show, that they made me actually care about the victim on a victim-of-the-week show, but man, that was rough. I wanted to turn it off.

I'm not usually super sensitive but it really bothered me.

• Love 4

I don't know if it's just me or if there's some biological "this is a thing", but whenever I see even fictional harm done to either old people or children, it really hurts. Makes me cringe. Makes me not want to watch. Too uncomfortable. Seeing the ambush on the ambulance while the lady was attached to tubes etc and her face when she begged them not to hurt her because she was sick gave me that same feeling (not that she's senior or infant, just it evoked the same type of knee-jerk response). I know it was a super short scene but I almost couldn't bear to watch.

Which I suppose is a good thing on the show, that they made me actually care about the victim on a victim-of-the-week show, but man, that was rough. I wanted to turn it off.

I'm not usually super sensitive but it really bothered me.

I agree, this episode felt unusually violent to me.  I was very grateful for the Alfredo subplot to provide some relief, even though the issue of friendship between him and Sherlock was a serious one.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2

I don't know if it's just me or if there's some biological "this is a thing", but whenever I see even fictional harm done to either old people or children, it really hurts.

I don't know if it's a 'thing' but I feel it too, for animals as well as old people and children, anyone helpless.  I think it's a good 'thing' to have even if it hurts.

• Love 1
I don't know if it's a 'thing' but I feel it too, for animals as well as old people and children, anyone helpless.  I think it's a good 'thing' to have even if it hurts.

I agree, and this was a desperate overweight woman, so desperate that she was willing to go to Brazil to have an operation she couldn't afford.   The world punished her dearly for not being about to follow a diet plan.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

Th world did not punish her. She went to a shady doctor and unknowingly became a pawn in his criminal activities.

How exactly could she have known that guys is shady?

• Love 1

How exactly could she have known that guys is shady?

Well, the fact that she had to go to Brazil instead of a US facility might have been a clue.

And I would say that she was punished for not fitting society's acceptable image.

• Love 2

I've known a fair number of people who have gone to South America for surgical procedures not covered by their insurance because of the cost differential.  That in itself doesn't make it shady to me (although it does suggest one would be prudent to look into the reputation of the facility and doctor a bit more carefully).

• Love 2

Well, the fact that she had to go to Brazil instead of a US facility might have been a clue.

And I would say that she was punished for not fitting society's acceptable image.

Yes... not every person outside of the U.S. practicing a job is by default shady. It was simply cheaper, it was specifically stated. Hell, my aunt and uncle travel from Germany to my country (which is at least 4 airplane tickets) to get their dental work done because it is cheaper, should it be serious to expect them to be victims of crimes done by the dentists they are using because it is cheaper? This is more about economics... the U.S. have one of the most absurd health practices in both coverage of health patients and cost... I think it is only natural people travel to other countries and though we needed a context for the episode, that kind of abuse rarely if ever happens (which is a good thing). :)

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked this one a lot. I like this season's subtle continued exploration of Sherlock's inner life. We've seen him fight against further connections or friends, and yet he has made huge strides in admitting those people into his life -- from Kitty to Alfredo to (of course) Watson and even Marcus.

Thanks for sharing this! That's really fascinating info, and adds a nice layer of complexity and subtext to the episode.

And it's always lovely to see Clyde. I smile when I see Clyde, not just as a viewer of the show, but because I like the idea that Sherlock is pampering their little friend as he seeks out healthy connections in his life.

I agree, and this was a desperate overweight woman, so desperate that she was willing to go to Brazil to have an operation she couldn't afford.   The world punished her dearly for not being about to follow a diet plan.

I disagree that she was punished for not being able to "follow a diet plan." She was clearly willing to follow some pretty severe dietary restrictions (as evidenced by her fridge and commitment to the surgery), but whether due to thyroid or other issues, some people's metabolisms are incredibly resistant to change, and in ways that have little to nothing to do with the person's actual willpower. I just think distilling it down to "she died because she couldn't stay on a diet" is too simplistic -- the course of action she took was far more radical and dangerous, even with a reputable doctor (which sadly he wasn't).

The drug scheme was so awful -- such a sad and grotesque way to prey on people simply seeking to better themselves!

But meanwhile, kudos to the actress, because in one small scene, she and the EMT actress made me care about both their fates.

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 1

I just think distilling it down to "she died because she couldn't stay on a diet" is too simplistic -- the course of action she took was far more radical and dangerous, even with a reputable doctor (which sadly he wasn't).

I don't think a truly reputable doctor would do bariatric surgery.  It has horrid complications in the best of circumstances, and last I read, the 3-year survival rate was abysmal. 

• Love 1