Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E11: Jessa's Wedding

I grew up Independent Baptist also but weddings did have a light meal. Maybe buffet style. But FOOD was actually served. No dancing or drinking, which I understand. But eating is not unGodly!

Insane if you ask me. A slice of a hero/hoagie? Is that asking too much? Apparently so....

• Love 3

Something occurred to me about Jill and her 'look at me/wait on me I'm a fragile pregnant flower' attitude. I guarantee she grew up with Michele in that state nearly constantly so she figures that's what she gets to do now. It doesn't excuse Jill's self-absorbed behavior but it makes me sad to think of all the Duggar kids having to grow up with a mom who was in a perpetual state of self-absorbed superiority. 

• Love 9
I laughed at James

That kid is comedy gold. Just deadpan. Love him.

I somehow missed MEchelle trying to get Jessa to eat. Was she actually concerned?

My sister, a therapist, maintains that there's something "creepy" about Boob's relationship with his girls, but I don't think so. I don't absolve him of all his issues, by any means; I'll never forgive him for manhandling Josiah, for example. But I do think he's just a real softie when it comes to the girls, and he seems to actually have a relationship with the majority of the kids.

I think he's in love with the fact that the girls remind him of a young MEchelle, and that skeeves me out a little, but I don't think for a minute that he's been physically inappropriate with any of them. Are others with me on this?

• Love 9
(edited)

Seriously, JimBob amd MEchelle. First rule of weddings and funerals. People showed up. You FEED THEM as a show of appreciation. And in the case of weddings, they probably sprung for a gift.  If you're not serving a sit down meal, at least put out finger foods. Remember the mountains of chicken salad sandwiches at Josh and Anna's? Like THAT.  For Christ's sake, there's a film crew. People know that you're getting PAID to throw this wedding. FEED THEM. A freaking cup of melted ice cream as they stand outside in 40 degree weather is not "feeding your guests" or showing them an ounce of gratitude.  In fact, it's not only cheap, it's rude. 

I think he's in love with the fact that the girls remind him of a young MEchelle, and that skeeves me out a little, but I don't think for a minute that he's been physically inappropriate with any of them. Are others with me on this?

Yeah, that's my take, too. He favors the girls, which happens a lot with Dad's and daughters (and Mom's and son's). But, I don't think he's inappropriate with any of them. He's just a bumbling Boob.

Michelle, OTOH, has issues. She's aloof with her kids once she weans them off the breast, but boy howdy, does she like touching her hunky new son-in-law. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 9

I agree, they should have had a better reception, they can certainly afford it! I do understand that some people can't afford to have food at their wedding though. Light snacks maybe, but not hot, catered, food. If I could afford it I'd be doing it though, it just bothers me that they can, and instead decided to eat ice cream. I haven't seen the episode yet, but aren't people saying it was in a a parking lot? That's just tacky.

• Love 2
(edited)

It doesn't excuse Jill's self-absorbed behavior but it makes me sad to think of all the Duggar kids having to grow up with a mom who was in a perpetual state of self-absorbed superiority.

Agreed. I also think this is going on with Jill: Not to criticize the appearance of any of the kids, because I think they've all turned out to be nice-looking, but Jill has always been the plainest of the sisters. (If you watch some of the old specials, she was definitely going through some ... awkward phases.) I wonder if she's perhaps somewhat proud of the fact that she, despite her status as not the greatest beauty of the family, was the first to land a husband.

I mean, how many times can we hear about Jessa's beauty from her parents and others on the show; I imagine Jill is pretty darned sick of it and was grateful for an opportunity to one-up the princess.

Edited by Literata
  • Love 2

I somehow missed MEchelle trying to get Jessa to eat. Was she actually concerned?

My sister, a therapist, maintains that there's something "creepy" about Boob's relationship with his girls, but I don't think so. I don't absolve him of all his issues, by any means; I'll never forgive him for manhandling Josiah, for example. But I do think he's just a real softie when it comes to the girls, and he seems to actually have a relationship with the majority of the kids.

I agree. I always thought he had a real love and affection for his children, and  showed it better than Michelle.   I never thought he was physically inappropriate with anyone, either. I too, am still angry at his treatment of Josiah. I don't know when I will give him a pass on that one. If ever.

(edited)

I think he's got a creepy vibe but I don't think he's physically inappropriate with them. He's manipulative and controlling. HIs emotions aren't about a proud father watching his daughter embark on her own life. They don't get their own life. His emotions come from another check mark next to a kid who 'did it right' because JB make sure of it.

Edited to ask: Was there really no where inside the church for them to have the reception? Aside from the obvious rudeness of not even having finger food, not having somewhere to sit down, and it being cold, having it in a parking lot gave it that 'heres your ice cream - there's your car goodbye' feel.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 5

I've always thought Michelle was HBIC around that house. If the kids needed affection I assumed Jim Bob was the one to give it. I've never gotten an inappropriate vibe from him. That being said, I don't know what this Josiah incident is all about?

I know in fundie and other circles it is typical to have only a cake and punch reception,which it looks like Jessa achieved. I thought there was also a big gathering at the house afterward (Kirk Cameron attended, or was that Jill's wedding?). I assume a couple hundred people were invited back to the house and fed there after the church reception.

Agreed. I also think this is going on with Jill: Not to criticize the appearance of any of the kids, because I think they've all turned out to be nice-looking, but Jill has always been the plainest of the sisters. (If you watch some of the old specials, she was definitely going through some ... awkward phases.) I wonder if she's perhaps somewhat proud of the fact that she, despite her status as not the greatest beauty of the family, was the first to land a husband.

I mean, how many times can we hear about Jessa's beauty from her parents and others on the show; I imagine Jill is pretty darned sick of it and was grateful for an opportunity to one-up the princess.

I will never for the life of me understand how Jill got married ahead of Jana? Beauty wise, she is head and shoulders over both of them, and I think her personality is better than the snitch and also the princess b!t%$.       (my opinion only)

• Love 2

So my thoughts are: Jill's wedding was a more thoughtful wedding. Her reception was outside, but at a better time of year, with a larger variety of things to eat (including cake, which, let's face it, most people like at a wedding, even if you have a sundae bar) and the overall look of the production was more put together. I think she cared more about the people coming.

Jessa's wedding was all about Jessa. What touches were lovely about her wedding were things she was completely out of control about - the rehearsal dinner, I thought their minister was decent, Ben's ring. Or what was lovely was JESSA - her dress, her vows, her carriage. But the wedding itself was about as tacky as you can go, from the perspective of thinking of people.

And no way was that 1300. 900 maybe. Even the pop up said 1200 scoops of ice cream, and we know lots would have been scooped and pitched.

Jinger broke my heart. I've heard that same testimony (I've given that same testimony) so many times. She feels utterly alone right now, and I hope, given that there is no other option for her, she finds a man who loves her and that she loves, because her life is probably pretty bleak these days.

• Love 7
Jinger broke my heart. I've heard that same testimony (I've given that same testimony) so many times. She feels utterly alone right now, and I hope, given that there is no other option for her, she finds a man who loves her and that she loves, because her life is probably pretty bleak these days.

Remember when she used to say she wanted to go to New York? I wonder what happened to cause her to lose the spark she used to have; Journey to the Heart, maybe? I feel for her.

• Love 6

Remember when she used to say she wanted to go to New York? I wonder what happened to cause her to lose the spark she used to have; Journey to the Heart, maybe? I feel for her.

I think hearing her mother tell people that Jinger didn't really mean she wanted to move to New York City would be enough to extinguish the spark. She had to know that meant she had no hope of it every happening.

• Love 5

I went to a bad place.

Jessa "do you like cherries?" snicker snicker

Jessa "Don't make it too big Benny" snicker snicker

Ben  "really wanted to try hers" snicker snicker

Jessa "looking forward to our honeymoon. We have alot of plans"  snicker snort

That boom was a lighting strike

Have to say their kisses weren't as uncomfortable looking as Jill and Derrick's. They knew what they were doing

• Love 3

I too hope Jinger gets her big city dream and can find a man who will take her away (yay!  far away) to a big (big in her eyes, not what Meechelle thinks her daughter wants) city.  You keep praying Jinger!

I couldn't stomach/watch the whole thing.  But I agree with everyone that anyone who can afford a honeymoom to Italy AND France, should put others first (don't they say they do that?  JOY: Jesus, others you.) and spring for some tents, tables, chairs and hot dogs!  Geez!  You don't even need tables and chairs for everyone, the kids could run around.  Cheap asses.  No respect for JimBoob and his cheap ways.  Jesus would think of others over himself.

• Love 10

JOSIAH!

Did anyone else notice his flip phone? Everyone else gets nice iPhones but he has an ancient cell phone. Uh huh.

I caught that as well. Makes me wonder if the family took away the smart phone (texting unapproved people? Visiting websites on his phone?) and gave him the flip phone?
  • Love 2
(edited)

I too hope Jinger gets her big city dream and can find a man who will take her away (yay!  far away) to a big (big in her eyes, not what Meechelle thinks her daughter wants) city.  You keep praying Jinger!

I couldn't stomach/watch the whole thing.  But I agree with everyone that anyone who can afford a honeymoom to Italy AND France, should put others first (don't they say they do that?  JOY: Jesus, others you.) and spring for some tents, tables, chairs and hot dogs!  Geez!  You don't even need tables and chairs for everyone, the kids could run around.  Cheap asses.  No respect for JimBoob and his cheap ways.  Jesus would think of others over himself.

In fact Jesus did.... He made sure the 5000 were fed and He made sure there was wine for everyone. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 17
(edited)

I know Ben is no genius and his adherence to Duggar rules is based in his own beliefs, but so many times during the rehearsal, I felt like "Okay, a couple might kiss at this point." I felt like they legitimately wanted to kiss - not in a giggly, oooh, kissing fashion (see the early days of JoshAnna) - but because it's just natural. at that point in time The lack of any contact feels awkward.

Agreed. When they both hugged Jinger after her speech (or at some point at the rehearsal dinner), they frontal hugged and it really looked like they were going in for a kiss.

I have to say, I'm rather torqued that there wasn't one shot of Amy or her mom.  If I remember right, Amy sang in the wedding.  Editors, not even one shot????

I really do like Guinn.

The editors respected my ears and cut out Amy. She annoys me so much. Maybe the producers realized no one cared about her special episodes.

Jinger had me in tears! I like the relationship she has with Jessa and for whatever reason, she seems to be carrying a lot of baggage and guilt around. Undeserving? No matter what I was going through? She's carrying A LOT around and I'm glad she had such a good relationship with Jessa. I hope Jessa is still her best friend, although she strikes me as the "Call me when you're married, too" type.

I've paid some attention to Jessa's instagram since the wedding. Mostly pictures of Ben/Jill/Derick/food/herself. Hardly any Jinger to be found. Now, maybe there are some we don't see, but given this group's propensity to photograph EVERYTHING I doubt it. I think they've drifted apart a bit, which is somewhat natural but really reinforces the notion that singles and marrieds are two different groups, at least in GothardLand. I hate to say but I don't think they will become close again until after Jinger starts to court.

Jill looked like an absolute mess. I really, really dislike her. It's so interesting how in the getting ready scenes, she was nowhere to be found, when the others were fawning over Jessa. Probably walking around looking for someone to remind them that she was already married, was pregnant or trying to find DerrickDillard.

I have to agree. I hate to pick on her, but she seems so sanctimonious. And you saw plenty of shots of Jessa at Jill's wedding, fussing over her (I think Jessa even did her hair) but hardly any of the reverse. I know they're not as close as the other siblings, but I also think it shows Jill is a bit more self-centered.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 4

Not surprised that Jill didn't put that much effort into her appearance for the wedding day. I don't think it had anything to do with morning sickness/nausea. I just think she didn't feel like doing more than the bare minimum.  As an aside, her hair always looks so limp to me - I wish she'd cut a few inches off and bring more life to it.

I hope Jinger and Jessa don't drift apart. I think their friendship is quite cute.

• Love 3

The other thing I was wondering about was when Jana was getting something out of what looked like a big pill box to me. It was during the scene where JB was in the dressing room with Jessa.    Jana is halfway thru getting whatever she wanted out of this box, then realizes she is on camera and turns her back to finish putting it in her mouth.          

Are they all medicated?

I still haven't watched - 2 hours is daunting.  But for this comment, I think a lot or most of the kids have allergies.  Jim Bob has really bad allergies and they're so bad they made it into part of an episode.  Michelle has tons of allergy remedies in the house.  

In fact Jesus did.... He made sure the 5000 were fed and He made sure there was wine for everyone. 

I have a gut feeling even Jesus has his limits of tolerance.  As in, sending in his regrets for any Duggar function.

According to Anna's father, that was grape juice. :)

LOL      

• Love 9

These Duggar receptions. There are no words to describe how terrible. Being horrendous, cheap hosts is most definitely not precious.

Seriously, Jessa was such a beautiful bride. I am so surprised by how much I love her dress. Like, to the point where I would wear it as my own wedding dress.

Ben (and I heard Benjermin too!) may struggle to communicate, but it does come across that he is kind, genuine, loves (and is good with) kids and clearly adores Jessa. Damn he is so young though. I honestly haven't been checking their IG feeds so I was surprised to hear so many think they are expecting. But..of course. It's past time.

I really love that they did the first kiss in private. At JillDill's wedding, everyone's obsession of it really grossed me out.

Damn DerrickDillard, I had high hopes for you. I really hate how these Duggar guys need to walk their wives back up the aisle. It's just so..."of course". Can't trust the woman to walk a few feet on the arm of another man! 

Jill looked like an absolute mess. I really, really dislike her. It's so interesting how in the getting ready scenes, she was nowhere to be found, when the others were fawning over Jessa. Probably walking around looking for someone to remind them that she was already married, was pregnant or trying to find DerrickDillard. 

Jinger made me cry. I think it came across quite clear in this episode that Jessa, while she can come across as icy to the viewing public, really connects with her siblings. The emotion, the sentiments expressed, and the "rock on" (I am out of touch) sign one of the girls gave to Jessa before she walked down the aisle when Jessa was sitting in the chair. 

I only saw a bit of the wedding, and I've only been sort of watching this show for a couple months, so I don't have the built up hate that many seem to have for them. They are weird, yes.

My sister at 25 married an 18 year old Penticostal guy from her church. They had one child and eventually divorced after a few years- he went on to a fantastic and totally non Fundamental career in the military where he is now a Lieutenant Colonel about to inherit his own base. I was scandalized that she was marrying a guy younger than ME, but it was their lives, not mine. 

I actually didn't realize the Duggars weren't Mormans- I just assumed, with all those kids, that they were. Until realizing that Jill was not marrying at a Temple, and then discovering this forum and educating myself a bit.  I still don't hate them- I really like the girls, Michelle not so much and Daddy is just weird, but I think he loves his children as they are a reflection of him. So maybe it's hard not to stand there and say- "I remember when it was Michelle and I getting married, and now I'm giving away my second daughter" or words to that effect.

I like Jessa and Binjermin (yup- I was saying it to the television, too!) and I see them as a couple deeply in love. Maybe after 15 kids the bloom will wear off, but often that is the case in many marriages.  I hope they wait, but they won't because it's in their extreme culture to pump out a bunch of kids. I don't see him as dumb as a rock--I see him as a bit uncomfortable in the limelight, and as a artistic person who is also now married into a very weird cult type family.

I actually like Derrick and Jill, too. The song he had his friend sing when he proposed to her, is still in my head. I see him as totally exhausted- look at the bags under his eyes. I think they are as normal a young couple as you can be in that very odd religion/cult/family.  I love Jinger, and I think Jana is beautiful, and the rest of the family I really have no opinion of- the kids are noisy and screamy and probably typical kids. Jim Bob annoys the shit out of me, and Michelle's baby voice drives me crazy.

But I have to give the devil his due. I cannot fathom how weird/hard it would be to have a TV crew in your life for years and years, filming all your ups and downs and never having time to be totally your own person. They are all a public persona, and maybe they are different in private...I don't know. I don't understand what would cause people to want to put themselves out there for so many years.   It's part of the reason I watch now, because it's fascinating in a way to see how they live.

• Love 6

I'm pretty sure that when she was facing away from the camera Jessa said she had already eaten eggs and something else, it seemed to me that Michelle was playing up to the camera that she was such a good "mommy" (I think she referred to herself that way). 

I agree. I always thought he had a real love and affection for his children, and  showed it better than Michelle.   I never thought he was physically inappropriate with anyone, either. I too, am still angry at his treatment of Josiah. I don't know when I will give him a pass on that one. If ever.

I'm a relative Duggar newbie,, can anyone tell me what he did to Josiah, please. TIA

• Love 1
(edited)

I used to live in Chicago and I agree, but standing in thin fabric like those bridesmaids' dresses would make me shiver. While also eating ice cream. And standing in a parking lot.

Currently in Chicago. It supposed to be 70 today! I would not wear flip flops in 50 degree weather.50 is warm but not THAT warm.

Totally inappropriate for an outdoor wedding to be during that time of year. 

True story my wedding was in Sept and of course being Chicago it was 50 and drizzly that weekend. We moved the whole thing inside as we didn't want our guests to be uncomfortable. I think Jessa wanted a short reception and wanted people to leave early. 

ETA: I loved Jessa's dress. I wish It was my dress. That being said, it was ridiculous to wear such a gorgeous gown at such a shitty reception. She is inappropriately dressed for such a casual affair 

Here you have the bride dressed to the 9s feeding her guests hot dogs in a parking lot in the freezing cold. And I bet a lot of the guests were in frumpers due to the poverty QF lifesyle brings for most. 

She should have just gone to the courthouse then had a photo shoot outside in the fancy dress. 

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 2

I missed the big event last night- went to pub trivia with my daughter and her fiance.  I looked on the TLC website but the full episode isn't up, and my cable on demand does not include TLC shows.  Guess I will have to wait for the rerun. Is there anywhere else I can see it?

My daughter is getting married next April, and we WILL be feeding the guests a real meal. Seated at tables.  After there will be dancing.  And an open bar. (Gasp!) 

• Love 4

I give them a pass on feeding the masses a meal. It's their culture. Some cultures do a Dollar Dance. Some do a Father/Bride dance. My people (Italian-Americans) do a Venitian table at midnight and we're expected to keep our kids up til midnight for this. Different strokes, different folks.

• Love 7

When Binjerman was in his TH talking about forgetting the ring and sending JimBoob to get it for him, at one point, he shakes his head and says, "Ridiculous." For a brief moment, I held out hope that he was saying that the "JimBoob has to swoop in and save the day because Binjerman is so dumb" story line was ridiculous. Then he kept talking and I realized, he really is that dumb. Also, when they got everyone together for pictures and JessaBlessa and Binjerman were kissing, JimBoob had the oddest grin and was actually leaning forward to see it. That's more than a little pervy. Surprised he didn't want to go along on the honeymoon so he and MEchelle could show the youngsters how to… Oops, just vomited.

• Love 7

It bugs me that JB & M always have to take center stage. They can't let Jessa & Ben's sweet kiss be their own, they have to crash it, and have their own kiss too aaannd another one. Let it go, please, and let your daughter and her new husband have their own moment. Gah, is it any wonder why Jill is so self-centered and a fame whore?? She's had it modeled for the past 10 years or so by her not-so humble parents.

• Love 4
(edited)

This did NOT need to be a 2 hour special.  I kept falling asleep during the first hour.  I'll have to try to re-watch to see what I missed.  I love that even their pastor said there was nothing wrong with kissing.  That it isn't prohibited any where in the bible!  Thank you for saying that!!!!  Their ridiculous courtship rules are nuts.  These poor kids felt like they had to have their kiss in private because there was so much pressure on them for their first kiss.  It's a simple kiss.  It shouldn't be turned in to this end-all-be-all event.  Heck, usually your first kiss is pretty lame.  Of course, you're usually junior high/high school age when you have your first kiss.  Not early 20s!

Was that Erin Bates pounding on the piano?  Or did they simply pump in the previous sound track from Jill's wedding?  I don't get the over-the-top, grandiose piano for the bridal march.  It's not appropriate.

I do have to say:  I was raised independent Baptist, which is what the Duggars are.  Wedding receptions are typically VERY bare bones.  There are usually no elaborate celebrations.  Most consisted of punch & cake and that's it.  No dancing, no meal, no drinking.  In fact, it wasn't until I got away from home and went to a non-Baptist wedding that I experienced a "real" reception, with a DJ, waiters, food, drinks, dancing, bouquet toss, etc.  I consider myself non-denomenational now.  I know families just like the Duggars (but not with such a large brood) and their kids are so emotionally stunted from the lack of socialization & lack of interaction with others.  They're ALWAYS at home.  The only time they interact with others is at church and they're all so much alike.  They never learn to adapt to social situations in the outside world.  I just can't believe in that.  They make up their own, crazy rules.  No thank you!

I'm OK with the fact that many weddings in the South are very much like a little girls' tea party - something to drink and a cookie or piece of cake. There certainly is historical basis for it. There was a great deal of poverty after the Civil War, even among the wealthy whose homes had been flattened and who lost their land, farms etc. But is this still the case among people with money in the South? I'm not saying that every Southerner with money has to throw a royal wedding, but something tells me no matter what the tradition was, Boob & Me-chelle still would have cheaped their way along here. An army of volunteer help, crappy inappropriate refreshments, no seating, no favors, and only the "real" friends asked back to the TTH for what?  A pulled pork sandwich and some coleslaw? Seeing that one's wedding appears to be the pinnacle event in the life of a fundie, I'm really surprised they don't do much more. The Kellers had "real food" at Anna's wedding, IIRC?

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

I think Jill keeps expecting to be treated by her family the way they treated Michelle when she was pregnant. But Michelle was treated that way because she was Michelle - the pregnancy was only the excuse. Derick does seem to treat Jill very lovingly, and I hope she learns, as her own family grows, that he and her children really are her real family.

I thought it was interesting that Jessa didn't tear up until Jim Bob said she was a beautiful bride. She believes that she's beautiful. But she didn't believe him when he told her she was a good daughter.

• Love 2
(edited)

Haven't read all the posts, but finally got to watch the whole episode.  

Don't like the pastor and the way he talked all pastorish (I know that is not a word) during the ceremony.  The Bengermin- WTF ever he was saying was awful!

Guinn is awesome!  She has real emotion.  She was crying when they were married.  I would be bawling my eyes out but trying not to.  I cry at every freaking wedding I go to.  Can't help it.  I cried at my sons high school graduation.  MEchelle was all happy happy smile smile.   Good on you MEchelle.  You've got the emotion under control.  However, I DO NOT like her husband (Guinn's) at all.  He is crazy as a loon.

I think MEchelle consulted on a wedding dress that would not make her look like a construction accident and I was very happy to hardly notice her.

Rehearsal dinner was so nice compared to the parking lot tragedy.  

Josh makes me sick- no other way around it.  And I want to have Anna's adenoids removed.  How does Mackie know what a queen looks like??? Hmmm… watching a little Disney?  Hope so!

They should be embarrassed to have that many people in a parking lot (that I'm sure gave you gifts) with no place to sit and no food to eat.  I'm sorry- but windy and cold is not (and I know a lot of people don't consider that cold) an appealing reception in November.  Maybe some hot food and coffee spiked with some Baileys would have made this more inviting or some of the people less annoying.

Sierra is a media whore.  Why did she have to follow them out as they were leaving the reception???  Keep your loud mouth back there!  You are a screaming crazy woman!  Can't stand her.  

Jill has a million of those curling irons- why didn't she take one to her hair.  She was in the good part of pregnancy- where you feel really good.  She seemed as if she felt really good.  

Another thought- I wonder if Jessa did the behind the scenes kiss to piss Josh off- so he couldn't upstage her as he did with Jill.  

Josh annoys me more each time I see him.  He's a graphic artist and now an announcer.  LMAO.

Good luck Jessa and Ben!  Please don't be pregnant.  In the TH's at the end, all anyone could talk about was freaking babies!  How about spend a year having fun?

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 2
I give them a pass on feeding the masses a meal. It's their culture. Some cultures do a Dollar Dance. Some do a Father/Bride dance. My people (Italian-Americans) do a Venitian table at midnight and we're expected to keep our kids up til midnight for this. Different strokes, different folks.

If you want to eat....Italian weddings are the BEST. My cousin's wedding had a seafood station, a prime rib station, a pasta station (of course), a side dish station, and platters of little Italian pastries and cookies piled high at every table. And a huge cake. And an open bar. We're Italians. We feed you until you have to be rolled out the fucking door.  And there WILL be dancing.

Ice cream in a parking lot? No. Just NO. 

• Love 16

It's an east coast thing. I know someone who grew up on the east coast, and he will sometimes add an 'R' to various words. He'll say 'war-shing machine' for 'washing machine.' From what I can find online, it looks like the pastor might be from Florida.

He signed the papers with a Florida Gators pen.  How embarrassing for Florida!

• Love 2

They are so pregnant. We should take bets on the date of the announcement. I'm guessing she's due in August, so unless she's wearing a burqa and never leaving the house, they're going to have to say something soon.

• Love 1

One of the best examples of Duggar keep sweet robotic smile is Jana's TH about Jinger missing Jessa. She never once stops doing the robotic smile during the entire talking head, even though the facial expression is completely out of sync with showing any empathy with a sister who is missing her best friend.

• Love 4
I'm a relative Duggar newbie,, can anyone tell me what he did to Josiah, please. TIA

The "other Duggar kids and Grandma" thread has a big discussion about it. The discussion is pretty recent, within the last several days. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll fill you in.

• Love 3

If you want to eat....Italian weddings are the BEST. My cousin's wedding had a seafood station, a prime rib station, a pasta station (of course), a side dish station, and platters of little Italian pastries and cookies piled high at every table. And a huge cake. And an open bar. We're Italians. We feed you until you have to be rolled out the fucking door.  And there WILL be dancing.

Ice cream in a parking lot? No. Just NO. 

My childhood friend sadly lost her son to a drunk driver and the funeral luncheon was filled with 300 people. Even the owner of the hall which we all know said he had NEVER seen anything like it before. My friend said this is the wedding he will never have so we went all out. Yep, the Italians we just love to feed people and aren't cheap about it either.

• Love 4

I caught that as well. Makes me wonder if the family took away the smart phone (texting unapproved people? Visiting websites on his phone?) and gave him the flip phone?

Jim Bob has recently said only the girls have smart phones.  Smart phones are too tempting for boys and girls apparently don't even like porn.  It leads me to believe the Duggars have never heard of fanfiction.

• Love 6

Jim  Bob annoys me on so many levels, but I believe he genuinely loves his kids and tries to be a good dad. I don't think there is anything inappropriate  going on, you know, outside of all of the obvious things. 

• Love 1
(edited)

ChicksDigScars, I'm with you.  My husband is Italian. The typical weddings we attended had antipasto, soup, salad, pasta, meat and/or seafood, dessert and coffee.  Sometimes there was a sorbet in between courses. And then around midnight, just in case anyone was hungry, they rolled out a big table with cold cuts, cheese, bread and pastries. Open bar throughout, of course.  And lots of dancing.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 7

And not to argue rich or poor but if you invite people you can at least have a sandwich for them. IDK if they had another reception back at the house afterwards but seriously RUDE is the only word that comes to mind after cheap.

I'm sure they had a good ole fashioned bbq after Jill's wedding because they are backyard kind of people. 

(edited)

My childhood friend sadly lost her son to a drunk driver and the funeral luncheon was filled with 300 people. Even the owner of the hall which we all know said he had NEVER seen anything like it before. My friend said this is the wedding he will never have so we went all out. Yep, the Italians we just love to feed people and aren't cheap about it either.

Amen to this. My best friend is Italian and since I've known her, the women in her family have been on a mission to feed me at every opportunity [which I think to them was all the time]. Her Grandma would make us both plates of peppers and eggs when we would stop at her house after school occasionally. A cookie and a glass of milk would not cut it for Nonna - she HAD to give us a meal. I was usually unable to eat my own dinner at home on these occasions. My friend's wedding was awesome too. Not over-the-top extravagant with gold flatware, huge flower arrangements etc. They spent $$ where it really counted - on the comfort and entertainment of their guests. They spent weeks putting together the perfect menu and ordered the best-quality everything they could afford. The cocktail hour and bar, the dinner buffet, the cake, the champagne toast, all the sweet treats afterwards were superlative. Thirty years we still talk about how good all the food was and what a wonderful time everyone had. I can't imagine anyone looking back on any Duggar wedding with the same view. Their primary goal seems to be [A] get the couple married and get the guests the hell on their way. I think the "no seating" deal is deliberate. There would be far too much milling around and lingering going on if there were places to sit.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 6

I have tended bar at many, many weddings in a beautiful catering hall.  From a simple roast chicken meal to fabulous, almost beyond comprehension amounts of food.  For the best presentations, my money is on ANY Mediterranean culture be it Italian, Greek, Turkish, Israeli or Persian/Middle Eastern.  But I understand the southern Baptist non-drinking non-dancing values which to me would necessitate preparing some kind of luncheon or dinner.  I think the Kellers and the Bates did very well with little money and some volunteers.  No one went away starving or sugared-out or freezing.

• Love 6

For all their obsession about sex, the Duggars are surprisingly naive about it. Goes to show you what living in a world devoid of imagination does to you.

• Love 2