Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E11: Jessa's Wedding

Oooh, so close, but I think there's a scene with the couple in a bed (I think in pajamas?) before they were married. That's enough to get you shipped off to the prayer closet. Also, it featured a woman who wanted to get an education.

Yea - he proposes to her in bed. I love that movie.

• Love 2
(edited)

I hate Jim Blob on so many levels, but I admit that I thought I saw some real fatherly love for Jessa there--kinda surprising.  Of course he reverted to the usual one-upmanship when he insisted on kissing Mechelle in front of everyone to show "how it's done." Gag.  It was nice to see the close relationship between Jessa and Jinger, but I felt bad that now Jinger will be alone in that nuthouse. :(

I agree that this episode didn't need to be dragged out for two hours.  Most of the talking heads were excruciating-- these are some of the most inarticulate people to ever be on a reality show.  I thought the reception was in bad taste-- as others have said in this thread: don't invite 1300 people if you can't afford to treat them with some decent level of hospitality.  I still think the massive guest list was a ploy to milk as many people as possible for gifts, while making as little expenditure  as possible on feeding them. More of the teachings of Blobbo in action...

Edited by Gianthambeast
  • Love 2
(edited)

Jim Bob is all kinds of annoying and grating, but I do not for one second think that he as even thought of sexually abusing any of his children. 

Also, Sierra makes me roll my eyes, bc she doesn't think of the most basic things (hello, outside in Nov?, oh yeah, we might need heaters! Shut the freezer door? Good idea!), yet acts like she's Jennifer Lopez in The Wedding Planner, BUT - her comment of "this is a NON-TRADITIONAL wedding. Everything is NON-TRADITIONAL" in that deadpan tone cracked me up. She knows it really isn't non-traditional, but Jessa is insistent it is, so she's rolling with it.

To call Sierra a wedding planner is a gross insult to trained, professional wedding planners everywhere. I'm not sure she could plan her way out of a paper bag. She didn't think of heaters, or of buying the brownies needed for the sundaes etc because she is just a glorified Duggar friend who probably likes Pinterest a lot. They can refer to her as a wedding coordinator as much as they want. Doesn't make it true. And if she's comping her time to the Duggars in order to get TV exposure to launch an event-planning business, she's even dumber than I thought. She did nothing to showcase that she's a cool, calm, organized, creative, detail-oriented, knowledgeable person - able to anticipate situations, offer viable options, etc.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 9

I'm more of a wedding planner/coordinator than Sierra is!  I've done more weddings.  I've even done them in shorter timeframes.  :)  It isn't rocket science, but she should have explained to Jessa how this was going to look and maybe she did and TLC didn't film it.  

The reason they were outdoors is because the social hall isn't rated for as many people as they were expecting for the wedding.  Rational people would have cut back the guest list or rented tents or rented a hotel ballroom or some other area large enough to at least provide cover for the crowd.  What would they have done if there had been a downpour?  Watch the guests run for the cars I'm guessing.  Also why take up parking lot when you have a thousand or more guests needing to park?  

• Love 4

We don't know for sure that JB and M didn't come back to kiss at the end of the ceremony. The end of the wedding had some seriously wonky editing going on around the matter of The (lack of) Kiss. They turned to the crowd, smiled, then there was the long shot of them all running out, after which they showed Schadt addressing the crowd. JB and M could have kissed before his speech. Fact is, we'll never really know. 

As for them naturally kissing, I saw a pic of them kissing in which his lips were just under her nose, hers were somewhere down in his beard. Oops! LOL

• Love 2

Oh my god. I just realized it's entirely likely that that somewhere in the world, someone is writing benessa fanfic. Benessa sex fic. Oh, my god. Brain bleach needed.

Michelle is holed off in the Prayer Closet writing out Benchelle fan fic right now. 50 Shades of Beige.
  • Love 14
What would they have done if there had been a downpour?  Watch the guests run for the cars I'm guessing.  Also why take up parking lot when you have a thousand or more guests needing to park?  

Oh no.. don't give them ideas!  They'll have hidden sprinklers on the trees and surrounding rooftops next time to make SURE guests leave quickly. ;)

• Love 2

We all know MEchelle's baby voice is high but she went up another screechy octave when she was showing Grandpa's picture to Josie "Its Grannnd--paaaa Duuuuugggggaaaarrrrr". OMG MEchelle, Josie is 5 & not hard of hearing. I'm sure she understands normal speech.

Guinn was so gracious & said Thank you to Grandma & MEchelle, something MEchelle & Jill can't seem to grasp when someone compliments them.

• Love 2

Oh my god. I just realized it's entirely likely that that somewhere in the world, someone is writing benessa fanfic. Benessa sex fic. Oh, my god. Brain bleach needed.

Oh god, there is a part of me that really wants to google this....but I'm terrified all at the same time....gross....

Benjermin.  That is all. 

(edited)

I seriously would have loved to see Jessa and Ben get married in Thorncrown Chapel at dusk with 150 people that they really wanted to invite with a nice evening (indoor) reception to follow. I think it would have been much more Jessa's style.

And think of how gorgeous it would have looked in pictures! Now THERE'S a venue worthy of that gorgeous dress.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that they only did the huge reception so they could get more gifts. One of the things they were robbed of is being able to relax and enjoy their guests at a longer reception. They're so desperate for ANY kind of physical touch that they have to hurry through the day, spend 5 minutes in the parking lot, and then rush off to have sex. Had they been able to kiss before the wedding (and good on that pastor for saying it's not a sin, I cackled loudly), they would have been more satiated, so to speak, and could take their time to enjoy their relatives' and friends' company.

What a waste to spend 5 hours getting ready and then only wear the dress for an hour or so.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 6

EarlGrayTea no kidding. Heck at our wedding we struggled to feel like we spent enough time with our guests and we had closer to 100-120. There is no way Jessa and Ben got to spend any quality time with all of those guests, especially in their rush to get out of the place (er...parking lot). I wish they'd gotten married where he proposed and just hacked the guest list wayyyy down if that's what they had to do. I think it would've been better for just about everyone.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's not only cheapness, but Jessa has been raised in a world where nothing belongs to her. Not her clothes, not her bed with her name on it, not even her own thoughts. Everything is to be shared. And if you don't, there's something wrong with you.

So she gobbled up what was hers at the wedding. The dress, the carriage, the honeymoon. Because this might be the only time she was allowed to, assuming they do actually have a child right away (and Jill certainly was a warning that it happens.) And if she is pregnant, and those PEOPLE pictures don't make thinking otherwise easy, then, well, I hope she enjoyed what little time she had.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 13

To call Sierra a wedding planner is a gross insult to trained, professional wedding planners everywhere. I'm not sure she could plan her way out of a paper bag. She didn't think of heaters, or of buying the brownies needed for the sundaes etc because she is just a glorified Duggar friend who probably likes Pinterest a lot. They can refer to her as a wedding coordinator as much as they want. Doesn't make it true. And if she's comping her time to the Duggars in order to get TV exposure to launch an event-planning business, she's even dumber than I thought. She did nothing to showcase that she's a cool, calm, organized, creative, detail-oriented, knowledgeable person - able to anticipate situations, offer viable options, etc.

I think that the reason she is such a bad wedding planner, is that she is not a wedding planner.

Someone posted up-thread that she told J'chelle that she would be really pleased with how pretty Jordyn-Grace looked in her dress, and it made me wonder if the Duggars hired her to help out with some of the J'slave tasks while they were busy with wedding prep and filming. They didn't want to call her an "assistant" because part of their appeal to the leg-humpers is how down-to-earth and "real" they are, so they called her their "wedding planner."

I don't think I've ever heard her talk about any other weddings she has done. Wedding planners don't make brownies with the kids -- and J'chelle complimented her at that time for being good with the kids like that was part of her job.Real wedding planners don't help to dress the siblings of the bride. A real wedding planner would have met with Ben and Jessa and helped them to plan the reception that they wanted in a way that would be comfortable for their guests. And on and on. She is simply too bad a "wedding planner" to make a living planning weddings.

• Love 3

And think of how gorgeous it would have looked in pictures! Now THERE'S a venue worthy of that gorgeous dress.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that they only did the huge reception so they could get more gifts. One of the things they were robbed of is being able to relax and enjoy their guests at a longer reception. They're so desperate for ANY kind of physical touch that they have to hurry through the day, spend 5 minutes in the parking lot, and then rush off to have sex. Had they been able to kiss before the wedding (and good on that pastor for saying it's not a sin, I cackled loudly), they would have been more satiated, so to speak, and could take their time to enjoy their relatives' and friends' company.

What a waste to spend 5 hours getting ready and then only wear the dress for an hour or so.

Oh yes, I agree, Jessa's dress was worthy of a wedding venue such as Thorncrown Chapel.

I actually think Jessa would have seen the ceremony in that intimate setting as almost a worshipful experience. And bc the guest list would be trimmed by 90% she and Ben would have enjoyed sharing their joy and celebrating with family and friends they actually cared about. I can see Jessa having maybe just Jinger and 2 or 3 other friends as bridesmaids and keeping the wedding party simple.

JB could afford to spring for a nice wedding reception in Eureka Springs for a 100 people at hotel where it's catered and there's little stress for the wedding planner.

I think the reason they were in such a hurry, besides wanting to start their honeymoon, to leave their own crappy reception is bc 1) It seems to be tradition, Jill did the same thing. 2) They didn't want to stick around for the circus.

There wasn't a lot of gifts, and as has been discussed on this thread numerous times, fundie families give inexpensivegifts, homemade gifts, no gifts, donate time to the bride to help out with wedding/reception in lieu of a gift. Having a large wedding wasn't a huge incentive for free stuff. The majority of their gifts were being purchased from their registry by fans of the show and shipped to them.

• Love 2

I wonder how much of the wedding Jessa even had a say in. The things she clearly were allowed to choose (the dress, the carriage, the honeymoon) were beautiful and very nice. I wonder if she was given a choice of venue or allowed to cut the guest list or choose food or if it was really just what Michele and JB deemed the way it would be done. After all Jill did it that way and they don't seem to be too concerned about the kids having their own .. well anything.. so why should they have their own wedding.

And I really don't think TLC pushed to have any particular kind of wedding. I actually bet they would have preferred a beautiful, smaller affair at somewhere like the Thorncrown Chapel. It would have been much more beautiful on film.

My daughter never watches this show, but I wanted her to watch with me to see Jessa's dress.  She asked why the "wedding planner" was looking for heaters the day of the wedding.  So unorganized.  But we loved the dress and I thought Jessa looked gorgeous.

Jill on the other hand looked awful.  At 4 months pregnant, you usually feel pretty good.  I never was healthier in my life than when I was pregnant.  I worked the day before I delivered my daughter, and she herself worked THAT DAY with both of her girls and went into labor at night.  Jill has it so rough, doesn't she?  She doesn't work, she should be well rested AND have time to look presentable at her sister's wedding.

Speaking of not working, what the heck do these people do all day?  I would be bored out of my mind!  I love my husband of 31 years, but we have other friends and interests.  I don't understand the way these newlyweds need to live in each others pockets.  Really, how badly can you miss somebody that you didn't see for several hours?  Grow up already.

And I know this is shallow, but the girls sure got all the looks in the Duggar family!  With the exception of Jill, that is.  I just can't with her horsey teeth and her constant giggling.  Some of the boys, however, are downright homely.  And every time JD speaks, I swear I can hear the dueling banjos. And thanks for the marriage advice, JD.  People really need somebody like you to tell us how to make a marriage work.

Derick, as others have said, is a major disappointment.  He has adopted the whole Duggar mentality.  The jumping into the aisle to grab and kiss Jill shows that he has become an attention whore like Josh.  I had high hopes for him and Jill, but they never had a chance once they moved so close to the Duggars.  His mother is a sweetheart, and I wish they lived closer to them.  Jill could have learned so much from her.

Ben doesn't bug me as much as he used to.  I think he is shy and awkward and far too young to be married, but they do seem happy.  His mom is a doll.  She cracked me up on the dress shopping episode where Michelle was all bug-eyed and squealing in her fake baby voice about how next year she could be a grandma!  And Guinn just said, let's get through the wedding first, one thing at a time.  Wonder what she really thinks of Michelle.  Probably the same as the rest of us.

The reception was a joke.  At least rent some folding chairs!  We are not well off, but gave our daughter a beautiful wedding.  People were asking who coordinated the wedding, so it's possible to do it right for a very reasonable amount.  My daughter and I put the whole thing together.  Sierra gives "consultants" a really bad name.  A young girl at my work got married a few years ago, didn't have much money, but borrowed some warming trays from a caterer and got a bunch of hors d'ouerves (sp?) at Costco and had cake and punch and coffee and it was all very nice.  I have never been to a wedding where I stood outside and got a cup of ice cream.  That was not the way to treat your guests, and Boob could afford better.

I just love Jinger, and she made me cry.  I hope Jessa includes her in her new season of life.

• Love 4
(edited)

Jessa having a say....

That's a good point. But I don't think it was actually Jim Bob or Michelle or TLC calling the shots, but that it's quite possible that Jessa and maybe Ben has never been to a small wedding and has no real idea what that would entail or look like. Keep in mind that weddings are only partly about the wedding - they are also chances for relatively un chaperoned socializing. Such as the days leading up to Jessa's wedding. That, as much as the reception, is why all the Fundies are turning out. And they will help. All the better to meet people, gossip and for young people, see who is out there.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 2

No kidding! I bet the melting of the sample-sized floats, in the last wedding, was just to make it look like she was doing something!

Between the starvation and the banging piano, I would have had a blasting headache. 

The Dugs sure do fill-up on food when they "volunteer" at a benefit.

• Love 1

One more thing (then I have to stop thinking about it, or I will never get done talking about the things that drive me nuts about the Duggars)..................the bother who was filming, don't know which one it was asking over and over, "so how was the first kiss?"  That's just so inappropriate and why are you even thinking about that?  Sounded like a little pervert.  Must have learned it from Boob.

I so wanted Jessa to say that it was great and that it happened months ago!

• Love 4

Jessa having a say....

That's a good point. But I don't think it was actually Jim Bob or Michelle or TLC calling the shots, but that it's quite possible that Jessa and maybe Ben has never been to a small wedding and has no real idea what that would entail or look like. Keep in mind that weddings are only partly about the wedding - they are also chances for relatively un chaperoned socializing. Such as the days leading up to Jessa's wedding. That, as much as the reception, is why all the Fundies are turning out. And they will help. All the better to meet people, gossip and for young people, see who is out there.

Fundyland needs a bowling alley

• Love 2

There is a lot of bowling, actually. Among normal Fundies. Remember how good Anna's mom was?

I think Sierra is one of these women who pops them out but doesn't want to raise them. So she takes every opportunity to do anything she can that looks like a job but isn't actually a job, because of course her kids come first.

Lurker coming out of the shadows because I'm a tad confused.....

I noticed on the table set up to honor the grandfather's that grandpa Duggar's dates were listed as 96-09 I believe... I'm assuming they were birth and death dates, that would have made him 113 or 13 at death. Am I going crazy or did anyone else notice those dates? 

(edited)

Jessa went to Josh and Anna's wedding (smallish in comparison). It was in the church fellowship room right? They had food and tables for their guest to sit down at. Ma and Pa Keller aren't rich but they are way more classy then JimBoobCheapA$$.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 5

Was anyone from Michelle's side of the family there?  Grandma Duggar is always front and center and deservedly so--the poor woman deserves to escape the laundry room once in a while--but was Michelle's mother there?  It's been my experience that most families end up bonding a touch more with the mother's side of the family, but that has never seemed to be the case here.

• Love 1

Lurker coming out of the shadows because I'm a tad confused.....

I noticed on the table set up to honor the grandfather's that grandpa Duggar's dates were listed as 96-09 I believe... I'm assuming they were birth and death dates, that would have made him 113 or 13 at death. Am I going crazy or did anyone else notice those dates? 

According to wikipedia, Jimmy Lee Duggar (Jim Bob's father) was born in 1936 and died in 2009. I think 9 6 2009, might mean September 6 2009. Didn't see the dates. I know they showed his funeral on the show. 

He died 3 months before Josie was born.  Josie according to wikipedia is currently five, but four at the time of the wedding. 

As for being a lurker, welcome to the Duggar forum. 

(edited)

I had high hopes for him and Jill, but they never had a chance once they moved so close to the Duggars.  His mother is a sweetheart, and I wish they lived closer to them.  Jill could have learned so much from her.

They do live closer to Cathy than to the Duggar compound.  

ETA:  Michelle's mother has been dead for several years.

I don't know if any of her siblings or their families were there.  I doubt that I would recognize them.  

Edited by Absolom

Well, to put it in perspective, my wedding guest list was 400, and that was cutting it from 600. And I'm not a television celebrity. So when you say "smallish in comparison" we are starting to get into relative numbers here. Josh and Anna's wedding was about 600 people. And I'd say Jessa had about 900 at hers - that church wasn't close to being full, and as someone posted above, large numbers of people left quickly during the reception.

When you invite families the numbers add up quickly. And like Josh and Anna, we fed them at my wedding, but only because my parents were paying the bill. I paid for everything else and told them otherwise I could only afford cake and punch.

According to wikipedia, Jimmy Lee Duggar (Jim Bob's father) was born in 1936 and died in 2009. I think 9 6 2009, might mean September 6 2009. Didn't see the dates. I know they showed his funeral on the show. 

He died 3 months before Josie was born.  Josie according to wikipedia is currently five, but four at the time of the wedding. 

As for being a lurker, welcome to the Duggar forum. 

Thanks for the welcome. Putting it that way makes more sense to me.  When I paused it and read the sign I swore it looked like how I typed it, no - or / breaking up the date into month or year just 96-99. Odd that you would list a death date and not a birth date as well....but what do I know, I like cake at weddings. And banquet halls. 

• Love 2

Was anyone from Michelle's side of the family there?  Grandma Duggar is always front and center and deservedly so--the poor woman deserves to escape the laundry room once in a while--but was Michelle's mother there?  It's been my experience that most families end up bonding a touch more with the mother's side of the family, but that has never seemed to be the case here.

Mechelle's mother is long-deceased. She only saw the oldest three or four of the kids. 

JL died in February 2009. Josie wasn't born until December that year. 

Mechelle's mother is long-deceased. She only saw the oldest three or four of the kids. 

JL died in February 2009. Josie wasn't born until December that year. 

Thanks for the info, Sew Sumi!

(edited)

Amid the snark, there was one thing that I thought was sweet. When Jessa and Boob started walking down the aisle, the camera panned to Binjermin, to show his emotional reaction. Then the camera focused on the bridesmaids. They were all smiling and looking at Bin, to see his reaction to Jessa. It was cute. 

But I understand the southern Baptist non-drinking non-dancing values which to me would necessitate preparing some kind of luncheon or dinner.

I was a bridesmaid in a "mixed" wedding. Bride's family was Baptist, groom's family was a less strict Protestant religion. The bride's mom INSISTED on NO alcohol and NO dancing. She had even SKIPPED one of her older son's weddings because there was alcohol served and a band hired. My friend finally told her, "Look, I want you at my wedding, but we are having a bar and hiring a band." After much wailing and declarations of fire and brimstone, Mom finally agreed to come, if the alcohol and music were delayed until after 8:00.  She would go to the wedding and the dinner, and leave before the party started. 

Mom never realized that the Best Man (groom's brother) spiked the punch with vodka. Mom enjoyed a few glasses of it. So did the bride's 13 year old little brother. Opps.

I'd contribute to a collection to have Dan Dillard spike the punch at a Duggar wedding. Is that mean?

Another wedding that I was in. After a VERY LONG Catholic mass, in which we had to smell turkey's cooking in the church basement for the Fall Festival the next day, one of the groomsmen, upon exiting the church and seeing the cooler in the little trolley bus that the wedding party was going to ride in, yelled, "Thank God for Catholics. There's always beer!"

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2
(edited)

Jessa having a say....

Totally agree with you GEML. I think the Duggar 'kids' don't know what a wedding of under 1,000 people and without a production crew would look like. Makes me sad for them. It was probably kind of a big deal that she went all "no cake" on them. Good point that the kids probably don't get that much chance to socialize either so I can see this being a pretty big deal for them.

Edited by NikSac

I'm glad Jessa subverted some of her family's worst aspects.  She kept Jim Bob from doing any pronouncing during the ceremony and leering at the first kiss and she kept her brothers from trashing a car by hiring a carriage.  I hope she has advice for her sisters on avoiding any other Duggar trends they find objectionable.  

• Love 7
(edited)

For those of you mentioning your odd pop up ads, mine are mostly cars, most recently the Honda Pilot and by this time I considering looking around for one.  I hate mine.  Jeep, are you out there waiting for me, or Nissan boxy looking smallish SUV.  They're looking' good.  Also I get Born shoes and some clothing ads, tho I notice if I watch one of the fat people shows I get big clothes you could fit a dozen of me in.  I guess I should watch a dwarf show now and then.  Good Old TLC, something for everybody!

Edited by Micks Picks

I think I was tearing up throughout this whole episode. I'm getting married next summer and I kept imagining how my day will go down.

I LOVE Jessa's dress and I need to know what designer it is so I can try and find for myself. 

I can't imagine having 1300 people at my wedding. I want about 100-125 people and my in-laws want to up the guest amount to 200 and I think that's insane. (But I'm the last of my parents' 4 daughters and he's an only child so this is their first and hopefully only wedding). Feeding people at a reception is expensive! Here in NYC it's hard to find a place that's not at least $100 per person. I wish I could head to Vegas or go the Duggar way and feed people ice cream sundaes in a parking lot and call it a reception. I think I'll suggest this to my fiance.

I also cannot imagine the process of going from never being alone or kissing, to going home alone, getting naked, and having sex for the first time. How do you just cross that threshold?

I looked at that scene with Jana and the pill box. Maybe it's birth control because she has a sexy boy toy that she's having amazing sex with and she doesn't really plan on marrying or having kids with him. I'm glad they're promoting family planning on the show.

I think I was tearing up throughout this whole episode. I'm getting married next summer and I kept imagining how my day will go down.

I LOVE Jessa's dress and I need to know what designer it is so I can try and find for myself. 

I can't imagine having 1300 people at my wedding. I want about 100-125 people and my in-laws want to up the guest amount to 200 and I think that's insane. (But I'm the last of my parents' 4 daughters and he's an only child so this is their first and hopefully only wedding). Feeding people at a reception is expensive! Here in NYC it's hard to find a place that's not at least $100 per person. I wish I could head to Vegas or go the Duggar way and feed people ice cream sundaes in a parking lot and call it a reception. I think I'll suggest this to my fiance.

I also cannot imagine the process of going from never being alone or kissing, to going home alone, getting naked, and having sex for the first time. How do you just cross that threshold?

I looked at that scene with Jana and the pill box. Maybe it's birth control because she has a sexy boy toy that she's having amazing sex with and she doesn't really plan on marrying or having kids with him. I'm glad they're promoting family planning on the show.

I missed this.  I am going to dvr it when it comes back on. I will slow mo this scene. Wondering what this was?  Interesting

I would love a list of what all the older kids are doing with their lives since "graduating". I know Jana is a midwife/doula, JD owns a company, a deputy, a pilot.... Anyone know what the others are doing with their time?

(edited)

The pop-ups for this episode were ridiculous (as usual) It had never occured to me to care how many hours Mechelle and Boob will spend at wedding rehersals in their lifetime, or how many people will attend all Duggar weddings combined. It's like TLC just thows out random numbers. Sigh

Edited by SusieQZie
  • Love 4

Yes, the "combined" numbers seemed ridiculous, since many of them would have already been skewed by Josh and Anna's wedding, and with so many boys, there will be much less say.

• Love 1

I seriously would have loved to see Jessa and Ben get married in Thorncrown Chapel at dusk with 150 people that they really wanted to invite with a nice evening (indoor) reception to follow. I think it would have been much more Jessa's style.

I would have loved to have seen a sunset wedding at Thorncrown Chapel.

I think Thorncrown Chapel is beautiful & have checked out their website many times to look at their photos. If they told me I could have had just 10 guests to be married there, then 10 guests it would be. Benessa laughed when they found out it could only accommodate approx 100, so there was no way their wedding could be there. But a parking lot reception is fine though.

I missed this scene too. Where was it at?

I laughed when MEchelle in all her seriousness was explaining that Jessa was so wedding budget smart. That if Jessa needed money from one category, she "tweaked" it from another. OMG. I guess Jessa learned this at the SOTDRT. (Maybe it was covered in the BANK-RUPT-CY lesson.)

• Love 2