Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Try

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Two quick things while I organize my thoughts.

Deanna echoes what Rick said in S1 to Daryl: We don't kill people. There's a huge experience gap between where Rick is now and where he was when he still had the luxury of that kind of statement. (I believe his actual quote was, "We don't kill the living.") Deanna is Rick in S1, still thinking that she has the option of hanging on to the old form of civilization.

Big gasp when Pete punched Jesse when she tried to break up the fight, but an even bigger one from me when Rick sent Carl flying when he tried to break them up.

I thought this was a great episode.

• Love 13

Also, Nicholas with Rick's gun! That's an unstable guy, and I'm worried for Glenn.

As am I.  He has been so completely awesome these past two episodes, and I cheered for him so hard as he schooled Nicholas.  Which makes me worry for his life expectancy.  Never be too awesome in the ZA.  

Edited by Bad Example
  • Love 10

Hypothetical question: IF you lock up the doctor, or threaten to banish him...what happens if you are the next one on the operating table?

If alcohol does not motivate him, then you die. You still might die regardless. This idea that you live at any price e.g., sacrificing others is antithesis to everything Rick and his people have stood for since the beginning. It is why Rick still is not Shane, not matter how much Hardwick and others claim.

I worry about Glenn also. I can see Nicholas killing him. 

As for banishment, it is the best thing for Rick if that is what Deanna has in mind. Who ever goes with him are more likely to survive because the "W" people are getting closer and closer.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

In other news, I don't see Rick as crazy for Jessie, just as crazy in general, full stop. Jessie is just a symptom of the undelying issue, which is the fact that most of CDB is tissue paper people held together with string and chewing-gum, and are now tearing to shreds, because for the first time in a long while they can afford to.

Good theory, I like that. It makes more sense than anything I could think of.

• Love 7

I just feel like this entire story has been rushed. Yes, Rick is crazy. Yes, the safe zone is full of cowards who are pretending the world is still the same it was before the ZA.

Agreed. I would like to have more episodes to them exploring the area & learning about why Deanna exiled people etc.

CDB shows up & they have caused chaos within a few episodes.

• Love 5

I don't think Rick's to far gone.  If he was Pete would be dead.  I also don't like the choice that he is only doing this because of Jessie, because it seems out of character.

Jessie told Pete to leave, and Pete was the one that went all psycho.  Rick told him to leave, didn't put a bullet in his head.    I think when they started fighting was when Rick joined the train to cray cray town because it brought up all the crap that was before.

Deanna is a piece of shit for knowing a woman and children were being beaten and just didn't do anything about it.  Maybe that's why Jessie was so nice to Rick when he first got there.  There was someone there that might be able to help her finally?

I don't like Enid and I think she is baaaaaaaad news.

Michonne, Sasha, and Rosita?  More please.

• Love 14

I saw the light Aaron and Daryl were going for and thought "Morgan!"

Then I saw the lady tied to the tree with her guts eaten and thought, "oh, I HOPE not Morgan!"

Yes, even Yvette Nicole Brown, who usually keeps all the details, was saying it might be an M for Morgan. But that woman was NOT a walker till right when Daryl was raising her hair to look at her face, Morgan might kill walkers but he's not going to tie a naked girl to a tree and cut a deep mark in her face.

I just feel like this entire story has been rushed. Yes, Rick is crazy. Yes, the safe zone is full of cowards who are pretending the world is still the same it was before the ZA.

But the events that have transpired in the Safe Zone seem rushed to me. This could have easily take an entire season to develop. I don't quite see what the rush was. I'm not asking for a season of the farm again...but it would be nice to allow some of these stories to percolate. I would be much more responsive to Rick's dilemma if it had taken longer than 4 episodes to unfold.

The Terminus arc was only 3 episodes. That was rushed. I'll never know what the Grady crap was about that needed so much time.

• Love 5

However, the irony of this all, in TV land, is that Alexandria was quite fine WITHOUT CDB. In fact, CDB has apparently only brought the community pain and misery.

Well, plague and all that.

Alexandria had pain and misery before our group arrived though.  They'd sacrificied people, have a beaten wife and child, etc  I think Rick's group just pulled of the mask of Alexandria.

oh MY great preview with Carol :) on TWD.

Edited by raven
  • Love 16

Wow, Rick went the full Mr. Kurtz in this episode. Rick, see about yourself! He embarrassed his crew with that nonsense. I thought that if he tried to take over, he would be a little smoother. Instead, he just got into a street fight and then ranted like a crazy thing. Shane would be so angry! Have a damn plan, Rick. It doesn't even have to be a good plan. But running your mouth all over town and then getting a kicking out of drunk doctor is not evidence of any kind of planning.

I found Deanna to be a cynical dummy. She doesn't care about abuse happening right under her nose because it's inconvenient. And how could she entertain that fool Nicholas? This is the second run in a few weeks where people have died. He's the only one who was there for both! Glenn should have left him. Nicholas is obviously going to start some shit in the next episode. Also, shut Deanna. Maybe if you hadn't raised your son to be a cocky, spoiled, asshole he wouldn't be dead. Doesn't she seem like the type who probably helped Aidan out of several scrapes, quick to never admit her baby did something wrong? He probably got caught cheating on a test or accused of drugging a girl at a frat party and she fixed it so he faced no consequences.

I loved Michonne knocking Rick the fuck out. Everyone else seemed too shocked and horrified to approach him.

I feel for Sasha, but I also want to punch her.

• Love 8

I only started watching TWD a few weeks ago. I binged through all of the seasons and I'm finally watching the airings in real time. My question is... Considering the shape CDB is in after all they've been through, what shape could Morgan possibly be in? Has he really been out there all of this time by himself? As much as I hope he has his stuff together, I fear he's over the edge and is out there carving letters in an extreme PTSD state. I really hope not, though.

Other than that, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this. I pulled all of the old threads on TWoP and then read the season 5 threads here. This has been a fast and fun ride!

• Love 8

Part of me wants it to turn out that the Ws are carved by an intrepid band of scientists who want to establish Walker roaming patterns, and this is how they keep track of them.  

This explains why I am not a writer of this sort of show.  

Well, you should be, because I would love that so much. There have to be some scientists left who aren't drunkards, after all!

"My doctoral dissertation is about the roaming patterns of walkers and their migratory habits".

• Love 15
You know what, though. I can't help think - fine, he doesn't want to help? Make him suffer. Make him realize that OUTSIDE the walls is a worse fate then inside. You beat the wife? We beat you.

And they would be shooting themselves in the foot because then they would still have no doctor, or would have a doctor they couldn't trust because he would hate them. It's a power struggle. Deanna looking the other way and hoping he is not that bad seems to me like the lesser of evils for the community as a whole (though not for Jessie, of course).

However, the irony of this all, in TV land, is that Alexandria was quite fine WITHOUT CDB. In fact, CDB has apparently only brought the community pain and misery.

Don't they always? lol. But I don't think they are worse off with them. People were already dying because of their ineptitude before Rick's gang came in. And Noah's death, Aiden's death and Tara almost dying happened because of them too.

• Love 4

Since National Lampoon's Mid-Atlantic Vacation came about thanks to Eugene's (Eddie's?) golden ticket to Washingtonworld, Rick Grimeswold could show the mullet his gratitude with a heartfelt throttling next week.

• Love 3

Only Daryl has seen the W's up close. Everyone else only saw it at Noah's families' community - long forgotten. We only see it because the camera zoomed in on it - but Sasha was the one who was just pegging off the Walkers - she's not paying attention to it or may not even see it clearly.

I think Rick and Carol saw it up close when they were meeting outside the fence and discovered that Rick's gun was gone (taken by Nicholas, as we learned).

• Love 5

Only Daryl has seen the W's up close. Everyone else only saw it at Noah's families' community - long forgotten. We only see it because the camera zoomed in on it - but Sasha was the one who was just pegging off the Walkers - she's not paying attention to it or may not even see it clearly.

Whaaat? How about the time that Rick was kneeling at the CSI : Trash Heap Walker?

• Love 1

Part of me wants it to turn out that the Ws are carved by an intrepid band of scientists who want to establish Walker roaming patterns, and this is how they keep track of them.  

This explains why I am not a writer of this sort of show.  

Have you seen this:

Zombie-town USA: Zombie disease dynamics simulator

• Love 2
What did Sasha mean when she said Michonne came out fine....or however she phrased it? That she maintained her sanity?

I took Sasha to mean not only was Michonne seemingly mentally okay but that she didn't lose anyone close to her. Sasha lost Bob and Tyreese fairly recently. Of course, WE know Michonne lost her son (and that pain probably stays close to her forever) but I don't think anyone else besides Carl knows.

Edited by HalcyonDays
Added quote tags
  • Love 4

By the way, I agree with Yvette over on Talking Dead. Even if you like Michonne for Rick, what's in your head is not canon. I take the show with what it wants to do. With something like who hooks up with who, what I might want isn't going to derail my viewpoint on the show. Even if Michonne isn't your hang up with the Jessie/Rick possible pairing, I think it's really short sighted to just say he's doing on this for Jessie (going nuts). There is so much going on here. They have been building to this since Terminus. Arguably since the Prison. People keep taking from them. There new living quarters get taken, they lose soldiers over and over again, they try to do the right thing even beyond all the madness. There was room for shades of grey. Now, Rick is just seeing in black and white. He doesn't want to figure out another/safer solution. He doesn't want to be taken advantage of anymore. He's going to do the taking down. If there is a threat, take it out. If people wont do the right thing, take them out. He's giving into the logic that has hampered so many people they have come across for the worse. The Gov. is probably dancing a jig in hell right now. "Now you get it" he would be thinking right now.

• Love 18

Wow, Rick went the full Mr. Kurtz in this episode. Rick, see about yourself! He embarrassed his crew with that nonsense. I thought that if he tried to take over, he would be a little smoother. Instead, he just got into a street fight and then ranted like a crazy thing. Shane would be so angry! Have a damn plan, Rick. It doesn't even have to be a good plan. But running your mouth all over town and then getting a kicking out of drunk doctor is not evidence of any kind of planning.

I loved the Andrew Lincoln quote on TTD saying he wanted it to be as dirty and humiliating as possible.

• Love 6

"You people are like a plague!"- Hershel Greene 

Hershel knew what was up. Hell, he stayed with them and eventually lost a leg and his head.

• Love 17

Why aren't they discussing the w's on the foreheads?

Because everyone is too busy breaking up the fight between Rick and Dr. Pete.

I'm not a big fan of this story line. I am much more interested in Alexandria's preparedness and organization (or lack thereof) than Rick & Jessie. There are a bunch of walkers with Ws or Ms in their foreheads. Morgan is still out there. And the Wolves are coming. (And someone has a flashlight.)

• Love 9
The Terminus arc was only 3 episodes. That was rushed.

I didn't think the Terminus arc felt rushed. Because it was apparent from go that they were batshit crazy evil cannibals. If they had stuck around there too long it would have gotten ridiculous. ASZhats aren't "evil". But they are very flawed. And the divergent philosophies on how to run things could have made for a very interesting season, or even full half of a season. I agree with everyone that it came boiling to a head a bit too quickly.

• Love 6

I loved the Andrew Lincoln quote on TTD saying he wanted it to be as dirty and humiliating as possible.

And that's why, even when I don't completely enjoy or understand some of his acting choices, I ultimately respect him and like him hugely; he seems to have no ego and no desire to make himself look good, and that is very refreshing and noticeable in his acting.

• Love 12

"You people are like a plague!"- Hershel Greene 

Hershel knew what was up. Hell, he stayed with them and eventually lost a leg and his head.

Hershel did not "stay" with Rick and his people. Rick saved Hershel from a walker and then helped him escape the herd. Hershel and his daughters would have been dead that night at the farm without Rick and his people. 

I swear, sometimes I feel like I am the only person here who actually remembers what happened on this show in the past seasons.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 11

Speaking of Andrew Lincoln I just can't with his true voice. I don't see him as this prim and proper (which he may not be) Brit, playing cricket and having a brew down at the local pub. It's just too weird!!!

• Love 6

By the way, I agree with Yvette over on Talking Dead. Even if you like Michonne for Rick, what's in your head is not canon. I take the show with what it wants to do. With something like who hooks up with who, what I might want isn't going to derail my viewpoint on the show. Even if Michonne isn't your hang up with the Jessie/Rick possible pairing, I think it's really short sighted to just say he's doing on this for Jessie (going nuts). There is so much going on here. They have been building to this since Terminus. Arguably since the Prison. People keep taking from them. There new living quarters get taken, they lose soldiers over and over again, they try to do the right thing even beyond all the madness. There was room for shades of grey. Now, Rick is just seeing in black and white. He doesn't want to figure out another/safer solution. He doesn't want to be taken advantage of anymore. He's going to do the taking down. If there is a threat, take it out. If people wont do the right thing, take them out. He's giving into the logic that has hampered so many people they have come across for the worse. The Gov. is probably dancing a jig in hell right now. "Now you get it" he would be thinking right now.

Yes, it has been building up long before this point.

Read this article (skip the first paragraph about Carols Cookies if you want lol) and read about the Rick/Jessie thing from a male writer's point of view.

ETA: I guess I need to go to bed lol, I suggest reading an article; but I didn't include the link. Smart!

http://undeadwalking.com/2015/03/15/the-walking-dead-s5e14-preview-spend/

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 1

Did anyone else feel super awkward when Carl almost kissed Enid? I told my husband that it was like watching our son (6) kiss someone and he looked at me like I was crazy. Yeaaaa, I tend to get too invested in these people.

• Love 8

I just wanted to note how jarring the music was at the beginning. Nine Inch Nails right? It was just so different then McCready's music, it was unnerving to watch the open sequence. I was just waiting to watch everyone snap.

Loved Glenn this episode. He is so different then the kid with the baseball cap from season one.

Wish we would have actually seen Tara this episode. I was head-cannoning that Eugene would be right next to her. I was wondering about him all episode too, because if Abraham isn't talking to him and Rosa was with Michonne, I was worries he was all alone beating himself up. Myabe Maggie checked in on him.

Loved all the woods scenes. I wish they were more proactive taking out Walkers. The Walkers thin them down, I wish they would try and proactively thin down the Zombie hoards too.

• Love 4

Since Rick believed that death was the solution to the Pete problem and he believed that these people are too weak to really deal with tough problems, he should have just taking Pete somewhere and killed him. 

This tells me that Rick is not that crazy or is all about killing to solve the problem. This tell me that Rick is still struggling with his RickTator side, the old Rick is still in him because him going to Deanna and Jessie, instead of just coming up with a plan, execute it and be done with Pete, shows that he wanted to do the right thing. He was looking for another solution, despite believing that kill Pete was the best solution.

Also, why did Carol bring this to Rick instead of just doing the job herself ? Carol is totally capable of doing the job herself without Rick's input and without people finding out that she did it. I mean she did before.  

• Love 2

Hershel did not "stay" with Rick and his people. Rick saved Hershel from a walker and then helped him escape the herd. Hershel and his daughters would have been dead that night at the farm without Rick and his people.

I swear, sometimes I feel like I am the only person here who actually remembers what happened on this show in the past seasons.

Just my take but I understood that post to be a comment - a sarcastic comment - on the destruction that CDB has brought with them so often. However, there is no doubt that Rick & Company have saved many. Please don't assume that you are the only one that remembers how things went down. It helps to re-read comments and try to understand the perspective of other posters. Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 16

This episode was one big mixed bag of crazy.  

Rick has been a slow moving train wreck since the fall of the prison/killing Joe/almost getting eaten at Terminus and you could see the final threads really unraveling tonight. Maybe it's because I still don't care about Jessie or Pete, but I'm actually more convinced now that this isn't really about either of them.  Rick has been fixating somewhat inappropriately on her since their first meeting, but I think that has more to do with him trying to patch together some semblance of his life "before" when he was a respectable clean-cut deputy with a nice house, wife, and kids and needing something external to obsess over to avoid the pinwheels of crazy that are going off in his head.  The ranting at the end was terrible and humiliating to watch because even though what he was saying was right, it didn't matter because he'd become the crazy-eyed bloody man screaming in the street.  All he was missing was Olivia's cell phone to make phone calls to dead people.

I'm over pretty much all of the ASZhats at this point.  They're fine with leaving people to die unnecessarily or their neighbors beating each other bloody as long as they get to continue to live their nice sheltered life.  Don't care about teenage angst or the lying liar who lies either beyond being worried that he's going to manage to kill one of our crew with Rick's stolen gun.

Sasha going feral and emotionally bleeding out is kind of breaking my heart a little.  I did really love the scenes of her, Michonne, and Rosita in the woods taking care of things themselves. 

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 13

Am I the only one who wondered if Rick was going to bite Pete in the throat during that fight? Just me? Okay.

Oh no I thought it too. He almost went full feral there.

I also agree with whoever said Rick's done thinking in shades of gray. It's more or less "my way or the highway" mentality of your typical asshole. Except for some reason I don't think Rick is really an asshole. Just too fucked up and damaged from losing so much so quickly. These ASZ people (mostly) have had no major loss, and no major life change since the outbreak. The CBD has been through it all. Of course there's going to be some serious colliding views about how things should run in a community setting....especially among people so oblivious to what the outside world is really like now. Which is why they all fear the walkers and banishment so much. They'd be chow in no time.

• Love 4
Loved all the woods scenes. I wish they were more proactive taking out Walkers. The Walkers thin them down, I wish they would try and proactively thin down the Zombie hoards too.

I say this ALL THE TIME! My husband argued that you shouldn't waste bullets if you don't have to. I don't know....at least set up some traps like Morgan and Woobury did. Then go knife em all when they're trapped. But yea, get on the offensive and get the numbers down!

Also, why did Carol bring this to Rick instead of just doing the job herself ? Carol is totally capable of doing the job herself without Rick's input and without people finding out that she did it. I mean she did before.

Right. And she was banished. So she's trying to not go down that route again.

• Love 8

I didn't like this episode, except for Michonne clocking Rick, and the parts with Daryl and Aaron. So, the ASZs aren't prepared and are far from perfect. At least they aren't eating people. Keep repeating that Rick. And I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't see how Rick's group has fared any better than the ASZ's. Rick and his group were starving, filthy and lost lots of people. So, yeah, Deanna's group needs to learn how to fight. But teach them and slowly acclimate them to the feral way of being. I refuse to see how living in the woods makes you superior to people who have showers, food, ammo and warm beds.

The whole story with Pete and Jessie is just meh. I don't care who sleeps with who, but why is Rick going completely batshit over this woman? I don't even understand why the ASZ group would let a drunk doctor do anything unless death was at the door. Aaron was talking about this drunk guy doing elective surgery on Noah? And Aaron is one of the smart ones.

This story arc could have been about the groups learning from each other and then perhaps some dissension within. Instead we are supposed to think Deanna's group is stupid because they are not dying and/or starving in the woods somewhere, and I think they are doing just fine. Look at all the ammo they have. It's true that they don't save each other in a crisis, but since someone in Rick's groups dies almost weekly, they don't do that good a job of saving either. 

At this point, I wish Daryl and Aaron would just take off and stay away from the craziness. Also stupid: tuna casseroles and burning sympathy notes. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

• Love 10

Very true, Rick did save Hershel. Just like Jimmy saved Rick and Carl by driving the RV into the barn and Lori and T-Dog helped Beth get away. During the farm fiasco, everyone pitched in to help others get away. Well, except for Carol who kinda left Andrea hanging. Also, the Greene family chose to stay with Rick's group well after they left the farm. Rick even said that anyone who wanted to leave was free to do so.

• Love 3

The best scene for me, though, was Michonne, Rosita, and Sasha out in the woods. Three women of color taking on a walker horde with no mention of men or children, yet we knew where they had been (well, not so much Rosita) and what brought them to this point. We'd been hit over the head to an extent with Sasha's stuff, but seeing Michonne flashing back to how she survived previously, and proving to herself that she hadn't lost her edge was an important step, which led to the final scene and her making a choice. It made me think back to Lori and Andrea, both of whom held on desperately to the idea of pre-ZA Society, who would probably be Jessies had they lived, and how the three in this episode had what it takes perhaps to actually thrive in the new world.

THIS! I was watching their scenes sitting on the edge of my seat. My husband noticed and smiled. During a commercial break I started to say how much I loved the 3 of them together, working things out on their own and he said, "Yes, the men are busy making bad decisions and throwing monkey wrenches into the gears. If a man tried to "fix" Sascha there would be hell to pay. They don't need men to explain how they should feel and act in order to survive." I love my husband!

Andrew Lincoln continues to impress me. He can make me love Rick in some shows and hate him in others. I find it amazing that whenever some peace seems attainable, Rick takes a trip to crazy town. He does seem to be suffering from "being out there too long". He can cope in the wild, but "society" is becoming a problem.

I love Michonne so very much right now.

I better see Morgan in the finale. Since Rick is preoccupied with being Jessie's hero, dare I hope for a connection between Michonne and Morgan??

• Love 9

Seriously, why the hell is this crappy lifetime movie happening? I DO NOT CARE. This wife beater story is so predictable and lame.

Go to hell, Nick. I might hate him more than wife beater Pete. What a little shit. Between this show and Shameless, I basically want to reach through my TV strangle all the little fuckers I see. 

Deanna, I do not get you. There is really no way to deal with the wife beater? No way for Jessie to leave him? Nothing other than Rick? Come on. 

I did like the Michonne, Sasha, and Rosita stuff. I have always liked Rosita, so I was happy to see her get more screen time. But...

Where the hell is Maggie?!

• Love 8

It is an interesting juxtaposition between Rick's "broken window theory" from last week which says we have to pay attention to the small crimes to keep the big ones from happening and Deanna's "the good of the many outweighs the good of the few" theory of a doctor helps more people than an abuser hurts.

• Love 12

As am I. He has been so completely awesome these past two episodes, and I cheered for him so hard as he schooled Nicholas. Which makes me worry for his life expectancy. Never be too awesome in the ZA.

They are definitely building up to something with Glenn, but I can't see him being taken down by a nobody like Nicholas, especially after what happened to Noah.

The lack of Maggie since they arrived at ASZ has been kind of weird.

Michonne is awesome. Rosita is really growing on me.

I feel the same way about Rick as I did Shane back in the day. Rick, like Shane, is actually right in a lot of ways, but it's all about the delivery.

• Love 3

Hope he hasn't been drinking?  Pete seems to be drinking all the time, so he's useless anyway.

This has been seriously riding on my mind as well.  Why indulge someone with a skill when they're unable to exercise it?

You know what, though. I can't help think - fine, he doesn't want to help? Make him suffer. Make him realize that OUTSIDE the walls is a worse fate then inside. You beat the wife? We beat you. There are ways to control this person in his case. Truly. I think it's indicative of the ASZers that they just let things slide to maintain their pristine "perfect" community.

Thumbs up.  Based on his words when ridiculing Rick's constabulary, Porch Dick Pete already knows he has a free pass in the ASZ and he's on cruise control.  Positive reinforcement of his behavior doesn't appear to work; he's apparently been given free access to the ASZ's liquor cabinet, because we have yet to see him in a condition sober enough to practice piano, much less medicine.  Suppose Tara needs surgery - how long do they have to wait for him to detox first?  How long before his hands stop shaking?

So - since positive reinforcement isn't working, next step would be negative.  Hands shaking too bad from DTs to operate, Doc?  Then a hammer to that left pinkie shouldn't affect your current skill level too bad....  Betcha wouldn't have to work your way around to the right before he straightened up.

• Love 11

If I recall, didn't the herd turn and go toward the farm when Carl shot Shane after he turned? Otherwise it probably would have passed right by the farm.

This episode was a mixed bag for me. Great acting by Steven Y and Andrew Lincoln, but I'm not sure I care for Rick heading back into crazy town.

• Love 3

I so wanted Michonne to say to Sasha 'Bitch, my boyfriend/husband (?) ate my baby'.

Apparently Sasha is more like her brother than I had thought, I don't want to watch her week after week after week Karen-ing. Just do what the others do and never mention it again please.

• Love 7