Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Try

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

One thing I noticed from doing all the screen capping last night was how many of the shots in the episode had a huge shadow or a blob of black obscuring a big chunk of the frame. You can see it in the recap in the casserole image and later on in the image of Pete being told to "Keep walking."  Interesting directorial choice - lots of doors and characters in the foreground blocking out a significant part of the frame in darkness.  Is this meant to signal an increasingly large shadow over Alexandria or that our heroes are bringing the darkness with everything they do?  I hadn't noticed it on previous episodes as much as this one to this extent. (Though the show, in general, always has lots of shadows and a muted color palette.) 

• Love 3

It was a choppy episode in general. I went back and watched last week's and I really had a hard time figuring out visually what was going on in that warehouse or in the revolving door.

Others have pointed this out, but the show definitely suffers when it's trying to juggle too many disparate characters/storylines at the same time, but then that's also when the plot moves forward most expediently. That's the curse/blessing of having them all together in the same town instead of separated.

• Love 6

I thought he said it mostly to get her to consent. It was pretty clear that she needed a "yes" when she asked the question. I actually think it's pretty subtle writing. I don't get the impression that they're head over heels for each other, but that she needed reassurance that someone would care enough personally for her to keep her safe if she decided to kick out Ed.

Not sure how Rick telling her that he would sit by and let any other battered woman continue to get beat adds reassurance to her that he would intervene on her behalf. He already offered to help her. Needing to know that he would only do it for her and not for some other poor woman who is being battered makes Jessie look horrible.

• Love 11
Others have pointed this out, but the show definitely suffers when it's trying to juggle too many disparate characters/storylines at the same time, but then that's also when the plot moves forward most expediently. That's the curse/blessing of having them all together in the same town instead of separated.

Also why we have certain characters that are barely or not even featured at all - like this week with limited Daryl, but no FPP, Maggie, Eugene or a severely injured Tara. There is only so many plot lines they can fit into one hour, and make it all coherent.

• Love 2
Sasha and her bullet-wasting are boring me now

Me too. I get that she lost her brother and lover in a relatively short time span, but she doesn't get a monopoly on grief. Michonne lost her child.

No Sasha doesn't have a monopoly on grief.But you should remember that Michonne lost her son. Then she spent months(a year?) alone and grieving with two arm less walkers. Then she found Andrea and Woodbury. By the time Michonne turned up at the prison she was still grieving. She spent months getting to know the group and she was still grieving. She didn't open up for quite a while. When she did it was well worth it. But somehow Sasha must get over her grief in a month's time? It takes time as we saw with Michonne.

Edited by Mikita
  • Love 14

The booze thing has such an easy fix though! All they had to do was show a "still" in Pete's garage and him drawing off some for a drink. Sheesh, even Battlestar Galactica had a still scene! Of course if there was a still we'd all be in here "where is he getting corn for that still?!?!? I dont believe that, there is no way he'd have that much corn! Stupid show!" because THAT is how we roll.

Surely if they have enough grain to make pasta, they can scrounge up enough grain for important things like alcohol.  Hmm...  I'll bet Mr. Niedermeyer goes around all day talking about how he needs a still.

• Love 5

Surely if they have enough grain to make pasta, they can scrounge up enough grain for important things like alcohol.  Hmm...  I'll bet Mr. Niedermeyer goes around all day talking about how he needs a still.

Isn't it Mrs. Niedermeyer, who is probably still yapping about a Pasta Maker?

• Love 1

If someone has to die next episode, I could see Sasha being the one since she's unhinged and has gotten a good amount of air time lately but I can't shake the feeling that it's going to be someone the audience cares more about--like Glen. As others noted previously, the coward digging up the gun isn't a good sign and Glen has been shown as such a capable, good guy lately that Im afraid we're being set up for his death.

In the previews for next week, was that FPP standing at the open gate?

• Love 1

No Sasha doesn't have a monopoly on grief.But you should remember that Michonne lost her son. Then she spents months(

a year?) alone and grieving with two arm less walkers. Then she found Andrea and Woodbury. By the time Michonne turned up at the prison she was still grieving. She spent months getting to know the group and she was still grieving. She didn't open up for quite a while. When she did it was well worth it. But somehow Sasha must get over her grief and a month's time? It takes time as we saw with Michonne.

I know everyone grieves differently, but I don't believe there is a comparision to losing your CHILD and husband vs. your brother and a dude you dated for a week.

• Love 1

Isn't it Mrs. Niedermeyer, who is probably still yapping about a Pasta Maker?

Yes, hence the Mister's need for a still. ;)

• Love 5

Deanna is Dawn 2.0.  "Let's accommodate some crimes in order to have a lifestyle that "I" deem worth living."  She's fine with Pete beating his wife.  Less fine if Pete started beating her ass, I'm sure.

And I think that weird scene between Carol and Rick was placed there to show the audience that Carol still cares for other people (Sam and Jessie), even when she's trying to be cold and not put her emotions out there to get hurt again.

I hope they explain with weird attraction that Rick seems to have for Jessie all of a sudden.  It just seems too fast.

• Love 4

Maybe they keep the helium with the booze in a box labeled "Stuff we absolutely do not need during a Zombie Apocalypse". Seriously, how much booze was available in this tiny housing tract in VA when the apocalypse hit?  Was someone actually stupid enough to risk lives on a run to bring back booze?  I actually find the helium more believable because I could see some soccer mom having it in the house before everything hit the fan and then no one bothering to use it, so it's still there. But where the heck is Pete getting all that alcohol? At the rate he drinks, any previous stashes should be gone and I cannot wrap my head around anyone bringing it back to him. I mean isn't that like the perfect rehab? You want booze ? Hey, it's free. Just brave the hoards of Walking Dead  to grab some bottles, and it's all yours.

I think Pete just has to be bottling his own brew you know like in between drunk doctoring and beating his wife. Because if Deanna is letting him have unlimited access to booze then she really is an idiot. The wife beating aside, just how important is it having a doctor if he's always drunk?

• Love 3

I see how they're disrupting things, but at the same time, they invited them to stay. I wonder how Deanna would have done with Gareth, and Joe's group. The Governor. Deanna: "we're civilized people." Any of them: "heh."

Deanna: "We're civilized people."

Gareth: "Sounds delicious."

• Love 12

And he handled the rescue effectively. How was he to know Beth was going to attack Dawn with the world's smallest pair of scissors? Beth got herself killed, as far as I'm concerned.

I blame Beth too but I don't think it was an effective rescue. They were still going have to give Noah back to the crazies. Rick made the decision to do a trade in the hospital. An unknown environment that put them at a disadvantage from the start. I think he has a pattern of making very unwise choices and he is mentally unstable.

Now he has possibly risked the future for the rest of the group at ASZ for a women who gave him a hair cut and a few pleasant conversations. He and Michone are the new cops and instead of having a discussion with his partner on what to do he goes batshit crazy. He has decided to be judge, jury and executioner. I'm not real happy with Carol's bloodlust either. If they have to completely lose their humanity in order to survive then maybe they should all die.

• Love 4

Deanna is Dawn 2.0.  "Let's accommodate some crimes in order to have a lifestyle that "I" deem worth living."  She's fine with Pete beating his wife.  Less fine if Pete started beating her ass, I'm sure.

And I think that weird scene between Carol and Rick was placed there to show the audience that Carol still cares for other people (Sam and Jessie), even when she's trying to be cold and not put her emotions out there to get hurt again.

I hope they explain with weird attraction that Rick seems to have for Jessie all of a sudden.  It just seems too fast.

I think they were also using Carol to try to get people to support Rick/Jessie, since they know she's a fan favorite. "I see the way you look at her." Yes...and it would likely scare the hell out of you, Carol.

I just had to headcanon that she was saying anything she had to say to get him to kill Pete. 

I think some of her actions here have been highly questionable and steeped in endless trauma, rather than the BAMF Carol trope that some people make a fetish out of, but it makes sense to me. It feels in character. If Rick's behavior did I might not be as upset about it. 

• Love 1

Pete was drunk during this episode, while Tara was in somewhat critical condition. Is there another doctor on call? Deanna is over-looking quite a lot to keep Pete around.

I really think Pete has pushed this situation with Rick more than Rick has. Porch-Dick came to be when he spoke to Rick in a rather menacing tone, when Rick would have never even known he was there. Pete has since approached Rick two other times, and Rick hasn't done the same. When Jessie finally said she wanted help, Rick tried to get her out (that's something you act on immediately), and when Pete came down, Rick tried to get them away from each other.

Now don't get me wrong, they both are, to quote a classic, "dominant male monkey motherfuckers," but I can't solely blame Rick for him and Pete getting into a fight, and I certainly won't give any blame to Rick if Pete, a grown man, refuses to treat any of CDB's injuries because of said fight.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 7

About the helium, they might have found a tank of it somewhere without a legible label on it. Other things that come in tanks are more useful, such as CO2, oxygen, and propane, so they grabbed it because they could. Later, when they figured out what it was, they just shrugged and decided to keep an eye out for balloons.

About Pete's fighting prowess... for most of the fight, especially at the very beginning, Rick wasn't trying to kill Pete. Pete quite possibly was trying to kill Rick. Even if he beat him to death in front of witnesses, he could still fake an examination, claim there were still life signs, and "try" to save him.

About Sasha "wasting" bullets: if every shot you fire eliminates a threat to the community, I'd say that's a hell of a lot more useful than just shooting at targets. I'm actually a little worried that she might kill all the Unfair Wolves before we even find out what their story is. 

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 8

But if the ASZhats are so bad, why don't Rick and anyone else who wants to follow him--get the fuck out of town? 

Because while the ASZhats suck balls, ASZ itself is kinda paradise on earth, when compared to the horseshit barn, or even the prison.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he went about it in the right way; having a screaming fit while drenched in blood and waving your gun about is probably one of the two worst ways to get your point across (the other being interpretive dance); but the ASZhats killed five people -that we know of- not because of honest mistakes, or miscalculation, but through sheer cowardice; they apparently never thought to check their walls for people climbing in, and those walls have outer supports that any minimally agile bad guy can climb with no extreme effort; they have never thought to put an outlook in the freaking outlook tower they're graced with; hopefully they've never needed an appendectomy, because their surgeon doubles as the town drunk, and I'd truly expect him to ask me which one of my two appendixes I wanted him to remove.

Would Rick do a better job if put in charge? As of right now, that's a resounding FUCK, NO. I don't think he has a plan on what to do with ASZ, I think he just wants it, because he sees this embarrassment of riches and people too dumb, or cowardly, or self-interested to keep it safe and stable. In his currently very shaky hands, it would probably be in ashes by the end of the week, because right now he just wants to see the world burn. That's why I'm voting for a triumvirate (triummulierate?) of Michonne, Maggie and Rosita to take charge. Carol can cool her heels down as well, otherwise at the first infraction people would wake up tied to trees.

Now, I'm being really hard on them, but in a ZA situation, as much as I'd like to think otherwise, I'd probably run like hell and fuck whoever I'm with. I'm sure that the ASZhats, while watching post-apocalyptic action movies, didn't go "fuck being the hero, and saving people, I'm gonna be a coward if shit ever hits the fan!".

About the helium, they might have found a tank of it somewhere without a legible label on it. Other things that come in tanks are more useful, such as CO2, oxygen, and propane, so they grabbed it because they could. Later, when they figured out what it was, they just shrugged and decided to keep an eye out for balloons.

Maybe someone really liked silly helium voices?

• Love 13

I say this ALL THE TIME! My husband argued that you shouldn't waste bullets if you don't have to. I don't know....at least set up some traps like Morgan and Woobury did. Then go knife em all when they're trapped. But yea, get on the offensive and get the numbers down!

How about digging trenches like the governor and Martinez did.  They have the construction equipment, it would be easy.  They could place timers (good one Enid) or other noise makers inside to lure the walkers.  You only need to worry when the walkers get deep enough they can crawl back out.

• Love 4

I must be an evil person then because I don't yet see Deanna as evil. Yet. That may still change but, so far, I think her reactions are fairly believable. Certainly more so than Ricks. She has just lost her son, suddenly and violently. I get that in a ZA there is a far greater chance of that happening (I still can't figure out why she would let him even go on runs, I wouldn't), but still. So she is stunned, grieving and angry. Angry at the world. Not that uncommon. Then this happens right when she has admitted a new group of  survivors. She has Nick the Douche telling her one thing, and Glen another.  We know Douche is lying, but how does she know that?  I felt she showed some distinct skepticism about his story, but I can also imagine that she doesn't know exactly what to think. Then, while she is still reeling from that Rick tells her they need to kill Pete? I actually liked when she said "we don't kill people". Seriously. We don't kill abusers in the real world. I get that they may need to be more diligent in the ZA, but just kill him? As many people have already pointed out there are other options to explore.

So, at this point, I can totally see Deanna giving Rick the side eye. He acted like a raving lunatic .Pete at least had the "excuse" of being drunk. Rick was stone cold sober and just as nuts as Pete. Surely there might be some solution between looking the other way while Pete hits his family and killing him? Like, oh I don't know, separating them first? Keeping the alcohol locked  up, preferably more securely than the chocolate and guns? Threatening him with Exile if he touches them?

For me the jury is still out on Deanna. I actually think the portrayal of her has been handled a whole lot better than that of Jessie. As far as I'm concerned Jessie could become Zombie chow next week and it wouldn't bother me any more than losing Aiden did.

• Love 6
It's also not hard to imagine the piece of clothing next to her in the shape of a child when she woke up was meant to evoke her lost son. And that the T-shirt with the shot-up bird made her think about…going out hunting, maybe?

That T-shirt with the shot-up bird was Noah's -- he was wearing it when he met up with Daryl and Carol after he escaped from the hospital. So I think when Michonne looked over at the laundry basket, she saw Noah's shirt and was thinking about what happened to him.

I was disappointed not to have an appearance by Maggie in this episode, and I'm usually not even a Maggie fan. But last week was such a huge emotional blow for Glen -- it would've been nice if TPTB could've shaved even 30 seconds off the endless Rick/Jessie/Pete ordeal so we could've had one brief conversation between Glen and Maggie, seeing as how we haven't seen them really talk to each other the whole time they've been in Alexandria. I think the biggest frustration for me with this half of the season is not only that they aren't sharing information with one another, as other people have mentioned, but also that we've heard so few private conversations between any of the characters. Has anyone noticed that Rick is losing it? Are they doing anything to help Sasha? Do they feel safe in Alexandria? Are they concerned about Daryl being gone? Is Carol's tuna casserole too dry? I want to know what the characters are thinking! Instead we get more owl drama.

• Love 11

I fanwanked that it was leftover from when the housing development was having showings of model homes and balloons were tied to mailboxes, realty signs, etc.

ETA: but none of that explains the heavy-handed imagery of the balloon.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 2

Because while the ASZhats suck balls, ASZ itself is kinda paradise on earth, when compared to the horseshit barn, or even the prison.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he went about it in the right way; having a screaming fit while drenched in blood and waving your gun about is probably one of the two worst ways to get your point across (the other being interpretive dance); 

And we have a winner

• Love 11

Could be right about the helium. And maybe it was left in a basement for a while, then got found again when they were cleaning out houses for CDB. The balloons themselves might be running out soon, though, if Carol continues to use Sam as her "mule."

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Perhaps ASZ thought that looking the other way wrt Pete's drinking and abuse was the way to keep the doctor happy and treating patients, but that was always a ticking bomb. How long did they think they had until his behaviour compromised his skills? What if someone's gravely injured and they knock on his door in the middle of him being drunk, or beating up Jessie? Could a person with injuries like Tara's afford to wait for him to sober up? Would he be in the right state of mind to put down his wife, wash off his bloody knucles and perform surgery?

By looking the other way for so long, ASZhats have compromised the only doctor they had. Rick just brought the situation to a boiling point like a violent accelerator.

Of course, it doesn't help that Rick looks totally unhinged. I can just remember Andrea to Shane in S2: "Those were all the right calls, is your presentation that leaves something to be desired".

More urgently, I hope Daryl and Aaron get right back to AZS to warn them about the people roaming around the area with a penchant for dismembering bodies and tying up naked women (after doing to them god knows what), carving "W"s in their foreheads, and leaving them to be eaten alive. I know Daryl's seen the W once before and he must have noticed it again. I'm still wondering whether Rick and Michonne bothered to tell anyone else about the body parts and W's they encountered in Noah's old grounds. That was like a 100 miles away from ASZ, so these people are way closer now. AZShats and CDB are constantly going outside the fences like it's nothing, and walkers are not the most dangerous threat. Well, I guess that's what Rick's been trying to tell Deanna all along and she seems to believe he's crazy and crying wolf.

With Carol, sometimes I can't tell anymore whether she's being honest or faking it. Did she bake that casserole because she felt for Deanna's family, or was it just to keep playing along the "normal people" facade? Even though she didn't sign the note, Deanna seemed to know where it was coming from.

Also agree with what someone else pointed above, what's Nicholas angle in this? He sucks out there, he's a coward and he knows he can't expect loyalty from other AZShatts while doing runs, so why does he want to get rid of CDB? let them get out and risk their lifes.

• Love 3

I know Rick thinks he has a point to make but when you compare the way of life both groups have lead up to this point, I have to say the Alexandrians make a pretty good case. They got their act together early, recognized things were bad, put up walls and have maintained a lifestyle that doesn't guarantee dysentary. This isn't the farm with a naive Herschel wishing away the apocalypse. These people built defenses and got organized. Rick hasn't done such a great job as leader that he gets to go all Shane on them and tell them that his way is better than theirs. The Alexandrians clearly have the better argument for how to survive thus far. If he would just do a little more thinking and lot less punching, Rick could fit right in.

Edited by RustbeltWriter
  • Love 8

I just can't get a handle on our ASZ Janeway here, Deanna. I alternate between thinking she hates that she brought in CDB, but then she turns around and acts the opposite way. I don't care for Rick right now, and I suspect it's not going to get better. He began solving his problem the right way, but just blew it with his raving lunatic speech.

I love this show, and have never even thought about turning it off until the beginning of this episode. The music montage played quite a few moments too long. 

• Love 4

And he handled the rescue effectively. How was he to know Beth was going to attack Dawn with the world's smallest pair of scissors? Beth got herself killed, as far as I'm concerned. 

Indeed. I wouldn't be bothered by her as a love interest in general. She's pretty enough, she seems very nice and helpful. But they've been there, what? A week? And he's suddenly SO into her that he is completely blinded by rescuing her? He now doesn't give a shit about anyone else and wouldn't rescue any other woman being abused? It's just ridiculous. If he was focused more on the abuser (Pete) than the abusee it would come off a lot more authentic and palatable to me. Who wants an abuser running loose? Oh, oh, but it's only wrong because he's abusing JESSIE. Give me a break. 

Rick didn't say it's only wrong because of Jessie, he said he only cared because of Jessie. Those are two separate things. And with his actions of late, seem in character (not in character "course of the show" wise, but in character "during the past four or five episodes.)

What I don't get (not directed at you, I'm just adding other thoughts now) is why there's hate directed at the character of Jessie based on RICK's actions. She's a thot? Really? She needs to die? We know next to nothing about her. She's been on for four episodes for probably a total of 20 minutes. 

I guess the "it's too soon" thread is understandable, but that's on Rick as well. We don't know how Jessie feels other than she jumped (eventually) onto the offer of protection. For all we know, she just saw a good man, a former lawman, who gave her a way out and she took it. I can't find fault with that. 

I love the actress and am looking forward to what she does in whatever future she holds. She was awesome on American Horror Story and I like that her character is nice. Nothing wrong with nice. And she's pretty but in a "prettiest Mom on the block" pretty which I like as well. 

I can totally see a guy like Rick with his past seeing her as a link to that life and falling quickly. And I'm not even a love at first sight gal (although many are). I can see him needing to feel needed, especially right now when he's floundering some. I can see him thinking she's his reason right now. And I can see it happening quickly with his state of mind. 

And I like the easy, kinda hopeful chemistry (such a subjective thing) the two actors have together. 

Edited by I-Kare
  • Love 2

it would've been nice if TPTB could've shaved even 30 seconds off the endless Rick/Jessie/Pete ordeal so we could've had one brief conversation between Glen and Maggie, seeing as how we haven't seen them really talk to each other the whole time they've been in Alexandria.

If the writers aren't careful, we're going to have to start Maggie saying "Wait, I have a husband?" type jokes...

having a screaming fit while drenched in blood and waving your gun about is probably one of the two worst ways to get your point across (the other being interpretive dance);

Oh Lord if Rick had done that instead, it would have been the most insanely awesome thing ever and I might have actually started to like him.

• Love 6

Rick didn't say it's only wrong because of Jessie, he said he only cared because of Jessie. Those are two separate things. And with his actions of late, seem in character (not in character "course of the show" wise, but in character "during the past four or five episodes.)

What I don't get (not directed at you, I'm just adding other thoughts now) is why there's hate directed at the character of Jessie based on RICK's actions. She's a thot? Really? She needs to die? We know next to nothing about her. She's been on for four episodes for probably a total of 20 minutes. 

I guess the "it's too soon" thread is understandable, but that's on Rick as well. We don't know how Jessie feels other than she jumped (eventually) onto the offer of protection. For all we know, she just saw a good man, a former lawman, who gave her a way out and she took it. I can't find fault with that. 

I love the actress and am looking forward to what she does in whatever future she holds. She was awesome on American Horror Story and I like that her character is nice. Nothing wrong with nice. And she's pretty but in a "pretties Mom on the block" pretty which I like as well. 

I can totally see a guy like Rick with his past seeing her as a link to that life and falling quickly. And I'm not even a love at first sight gal (although many are). I can see him needing to feel needed, especially right now when he's floundering some. I can see him thinking she's his reason right now. And I can see it happening quickly with his state of mind. 

And I like the easy, kinda hopeful chemistry (such a subjective thing) the two actors have together. 

I know you're not me, because you write gooder than me, but this is eerily similar to how I see it, so maybe you're me after all? Anyway, agree in toto. She's normal, she's nice, she's pretty, she's a stranger who hasn't seen him pick and eat lice off his beard (no doubt in my mind he has done so), and she's really done nothing slutty at all, it's all been on him.

• Love 3

Oh Lord if Rick had done that instead, it would have been the most insanely awesome thing ever and I might h!ave actually started to like him.

Glen: Wait Rick! Let me get the "RunMix" CD!!

• Love 8

I know you're not me, because you write gooder than me, but this is eerily similar to how I see it, so maybe you're me after all? Anyway, agree in toto. She's normal, she's nice, she's pretty, she's a stranger who hasn't seen him pick and eat lice off his beard (no doubt in my mind he has done so), and she's really done nothing slutty at all, it's all been on him.

If you're a 45 year old, you could be me! I'm a twin, but we could be triplets.

I agree, she hasn't seen him at his "worst" and I've (thankfully) never been abused, but I can see a woman who is having a desperate (and quick) need to get her life and her children's lives into the hands of a former law enforcement officer. She hasn't had that offer of protection from anyone else there that we know of. 

• Love 1

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he went about it in the right way; having a screaming fit while drenched in blood and waving your gun about is probably one of the two worst ways to get your point across (the other being interpretive dance);

I disagree!!!. He could have tried to get his point across while dressed as a mime. (A bloody mime.)

• Love 7

I agree, she hasn't seen him at his "worst" and I've (thankfully) never been abused, but I can see a woman who is having a desperate (and quick) need to get her life and her children's lives into the hands of a former law enforcement officer. She hasn't had that offer of protection from anyone else there that we know of. 

The problem with this story for me is that it rarely seems to be about a desperate, terrified woman suffering from abuse. It's about a generic dream woman Rick has to have, with a "connection" that must be there in order to justify Rick's obsession.

The idea that a woman is so terrified of being uprooted from her abusive home (which many abused wives go through, I realize) until she knows that he doesn't care about helping any abuse victim but her turns domestic violence into a popularity contest. And the scenario of two men literally fighting over her as she cried in the corner did the same. 

The show is treating domestic violence as a prom date. I think it's deplorable. And while I don't hate Jessie, I think having her only go with Rick if he said he didn't care about helping anyone else made her look awful.

• Love 14

This episode seemed to be mainly setting up the season finale.

But the scene that really caught my interest was Daryl and Aaron finding the dismembered walkers and the disemboweled woman tied to the tree (although it's possible that scene might be for setting up next season instead of this season's finale).

• Love 1

Not only hasn't anyone offered her protection, they actively turned the other way and made her understand that her safety and well-being, and just her general worth as a person, was less than her abuser's. How frustrating, and painful, and lonely it must have been, to be surrounded by people who you know without a shadow of a doubt don't give a shit about you.

Here's a handsome stranger! And he's a cop! And he's telling you he cares about you and can help you, and you won't have to be a battered spouse or a single mother in the apocalypse! Yeah, I'd jump on board.

I disagree!!!. He could have tried to get his point across while dressed as a mime. (A bloody mime.)

...I stand corrected. That would be worse, just based on annoyance level alone.

(I'm also super proud of myself for mastering the arcane art of the double quote, which always astounded me when witnessed, and turned out to be kinda embarrassingly simple and straight-forward).

Edited by Caelicola
  • Love 4

This isn't the farm with a naive Herschel wishing away the apocalypse. These people built defenses and got organized. Rick hasn't done such a great job as leader that he gets to go all Shane on them and tell them that his way is better than theirs. The Alexandrians clearly have the better argument for how to survive thus far. If he would just do a little more thinking and lot less punching, Rick could fit right in.

Oh, but I do think they've been a little bit naive. Rick's been telling Deanna from the start about people being the bigger threat now, and just last episode Deanna admited the watchtower sniper was just a rifle for show, because "there hasn't been a need". These people have been RIDICULOUSLY lucky so far. They found those well equiped houses in the early days, where able to acquired a bunch of guns, and built a wall. That was all they had to do. What would have happened if a group the likes of the dudes Rick killed in S2 "Nebraska" had shown up before ASZhatts put up those walls? What if a crazy guy like the governor had shown up with a tank to take over their place, like Philip  tried to do with the prison? What if cannibals had already been leaving in those houses when they first got there?

Deanna seemed to be really excited about having a group that's been out there for so long and managed to survive, but once they were inside, she wanted them to be the neighbourhood watch? Help her son to go on those runs that a lot of people don't come back from? Ignore the bad aple in the community like all of them have 'cause he knows how to use a scalpel? She hasn't really listened to their warnings; they all seem so unpreoccupied about all that could go wrong, even the person who was supposed to be watching the gates was totally distracted reading a book.

Of course, a show is all about drama, and if Rick were totally serene and level headed there'd be none of that. Rather than keep on insisting and trying to get his point across, he just tries to get a page out of Shane's book. Well, it didn't work out so well for Shane. But I don't think it'll work out any better for the ASZhatts for much longer if they carry on as they have so far.

• Love 5

I don't know what a thot is. 

A thot is a whore or slut (I know this because I have a teenage niece who had to explain it to me at one point.)

edited because I seem to have a problem closing my parentheticals today.

Edited by I-Kare
  • Love 1

I don't know what a thot is. 

Either do I. So I looked it up.

Okay, let's try not to fling this one around, please with regard to Jessie or any of the other women. I know it was mentioned as a generic in passing "huh? why are people calling her that???", but otherwise, please don't . You guys have been good (as always) but yeah...if you feel the need...just don't. It's demeaning to women. Much appreciated.

• Love 8

However, the irony of this all, in TV land, is that Alexandria was quite fine WITHOUT CDB. In fact, CDB has apparently only brought the community pain and misery.

The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Camp Dinner Bell. 

• Love 6

Edited - defined "thot" and deleted after reading note from mod. Have to agree, even fictional Jessie didn't deserve to be called that

If someone offered me a million dollars and I said "would you offer this to anyone else or just me" and they said "just you" I would say "ok" If I am being abused to the point where my son is locking himself in a closet, hanging out with a lady that threatened to tie him to a tree and asking her for a gun and someone offered to finally help me, I doubt a would take a few more beatings to question his motives

Edited by Boofish
  • Love 2

The show is treating domestic violence as a prom date. I think it's deplorable. And while I don't hate Jessie, I think having her only go with Rick if he said he didn't care about helping anyone else made her look awful.

I think the subtext was different. "Would you do this for anyone?" she asked, and his answer was "no", the implication being only people he cares about. Members of the family. Was he just doing this in his role as constable or did he offer long-term protection? The distinction is important I think because Rick has been there for such a short amount of time, has been shown to be apprehensive about fully integrating and has ensured the survival of a large group out in the open.

Besides, had you asked him a while ago, still outside, if he'd help just any random woman with an abusive husband, the answer would have been no, and rightfully so. The group has painfully learned that you can't help and accomodate everyone.

Perhaps I'm reading a bit too much subtext, the storyline has been too rushed. But I think suggesting that he'd only help a woman if he wanted to bone her is way off-base.

• Love 6

Also why we have certain characters that are barely or not even featured at all - like this week with limited Daryl, but no FPP, Maggie, Eugene or a severely injured Tara. There is only so many plot lines they can fit into one hour, and make it all coherent.

This is why some fans insist the show needs to get rid of ___ amount of characters, but I think a large cast and a split focus can work if the writing is there. They could have easily had Glenn tell Rick that Maggie was concerned about Gabriel and what he was saying to people. Instead they chose again to have minimal interaction, with everyone only getting involved at the end. I guess this was deliberate, to show that the group only reunites in chaos.

I don't think the show can really go back to where they were in the first few seasons where everyone mostly stands around and the same half of the cast tends to get most of the material. In some cases, like Daryl, it takes a lot of work for me to care about him, and separating him with Aaron managed to do it.

I just hope they get more writers who can write for a full cast and make sure it feels like other stories are still ongoing even if they aren't oncamera. 

Honestly, if this was just a story line about Rick losing it due to having multiple deaths on his conscious, having leadership thrust upon him, and clearly have a massive case of PTSD, I would be on board. Its like he has been too busy moving and keeping everyone alive until now to really deal with his issues, but now, that he has some degree of safety and downtime, its all hitting him. I can totally understand that. He`s been cracked for awhile, just in zombieland, its useful. He is used to being in survival mode 24/7, not he feels like a caged animal. That would all be really interesting to me. 

But adding the Jessie/Pete thing is just...so lame and predictable. Of course it cant just be about Rick and his (very understandable) issues. It has to be about a woman. 

The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Camp Dinner Bell.

Cant...stop...giggling...

• Love 4