Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

• Start Topic

Thomas hosts a dinner party where he and Kathryn share big news. Elsewhere, Cameran tries to make her real-estate dreams come true; Craig refuses to settle into office life; and Landon prepares to leave her life in Los Angeles behind.

Here's to lighting $ on fire, drowning in Knob Creek and T-Rav wasting our time on a stupid announcement that garnered <4% votes.  I wish they had shown us Cameran's wedding instead, that would have been classic Southern Charm.

• Love 7

Craig's brother is HOT. Yes, please.

Patricia had martinis made by Ian Fleming? I'd roll my eyes if I didn't think that was fucking awesome.

Kathryn's talking heads are annoying and I feel awkward watching them.

Thomas' mommy issues just cleared up every question I had about him.

• Love 10

I think Whitney, from his try-hard wardrobe to, er, Renob, to his endless love of T-Rav, is the saddest thing ever. Bless his heart. Whitney to T-Rav: "That's us - in the Lincoln bedroom!" Cut to TH: "My loyalty is to no one but Thomas."

I know Craig is being portrayed as an immature partier, but I keep forgetting he's only 26. I'm used to watching Real Housewives twice his age behaving that way! When I was 26, I didn't understand why I needed to be in the office at 9 a.m. "for appearances" as long as my work was done either.

And speaking of partying, in one of the flashbacks of Craig's week (hilarious), Shep was at the club sitting with SIX women!

• Love 6

The bloom is off Thomas' rose, for me, after seeing how he harps on wanting a hot dinner on the table at a certain time. The youngest of six.... oh boy, can we say spoiled rotten? The way he kept yelling for Kathryn. Granted, she didn't know how to steam asparagus. There's no way in hell she'll ever be a politician's wife. And I think he figured that out. Too late.

Whitney... can you be more of an ass than to announce that perhaps it's time Thomas propose to Kathryn? I do agree with others who've speculated that Whit has a crush on T-Rav. Bigtime.

I love Landon's dog. I also feel for the poor thing, having to live on a boat with no big yard to run and play in. The way he jumped in the car and firmly planted himself in the middle of the console area is exactly what my dog does, so that made me love him even more.

I'm ready to head to Charleston and check out J.D.'s restaurant. And pick the brains of the bartenders to find out the scoop.

• Love 5

This is the first episode of SC that I've ever watched so I may not know all the players but I do know one thing:  That sweet baby should not be sleeping on her belly.  Someone please tell Kathryn (and the nanny) to place that little one on her back when they lay her down.  My goodness, that's Infant 101!  

Edited by ProudMary
  • Love 6

God, I'm feeling sorry for Kathryn.  She's young.  Way young.  But she's trying to make this thing work.  

I hate Patricia.  I love Patricia.  In some ways I want her life.

Cameron - you have the best role ever in a reality show.  You keep your life private and you get to 'comment'  on everyone else.  How awsome is that?

• Love 14

OK, someone help me out here....

Why was Kathryn dressed like an old school marm? The hair....the collar necklace Shep was poking at....if she knew Thomas was going to announce his candidacy, did she think that was the look to be standing beside him for the throng of reporters that never showed? You know she wasn't dressed for a proposal. She'd have had her strumpet outfit on for that, right? With a ton of mascara.

I loved when Thomas asked her to stop kicking him. LOL

• Love 9

I can't figure out if Kathryn actually cares for Thomas or just wants to be Mrs. Ravenel.  She definitely was unprepared for the life she has with the baby and Thomas.

So how long before Shep and Landon hook up?

• Love 1

I feel weirdly sorry for Kathryn.  I get that she's young but she had her part in getting into her current situation, but Thomas doesn't show any respect for her.  At the very least, she's the mother of his child.  And I really do think he loves the baby, so he should at least show a modicum of respect, if for no other reason than the baby.  He doesn't have to marry her, but she is supposed to sit by his side at his political announcement dinner, he could STFU about bedding Jennifer repeatedly.  (But mayo on salmon?  That's just weird.)

Shep and Cameran continue to amuse me.  What I love about them is that they exude the kinda Greek lifestyle type I went to college with, yet are so much more witty and well spoken.  And they are a good counter balance to the notion that if you speak with a southern accent you are, de facto, an idiot.

But yeah, Whitney tots loves TRav.  Maybe he wants to be him, IDK. 

• Love 5

I do feel bad for Kathryn.  At her age I certainly wasn't ready to be a mother or a "wife", so she is under a tremendous amount of pressure that for sure would have buckled me.  And I wouldn't have even had to deal with all the snobby scrutinizing and judgment that she does!  I can forgive her a LOT right now.  Even her saying "like" when she shouldn't.

I do not have the same forgiveness for Landon, even if she is the spitting image of Martha Stewart circa 1965.  She is going to have to earn my sympathy, and her annoying laugh isn't going to do it.

Is slathering mayonnaise on salmon really a thing?  Or did Kathryn make that up?  It seemed to come out blackened, and I never eat blackened fish nor know how to cook it, so maybe mayo is the key.  She seems to have a knack for being a mother, though...she's so sweet and loving with her baby girl.  I appreciate that Kathryn prefers to get her ready for bed herself instead of just handing her off to the nanny like Thomas would have her do.  Since that's how his MOTHER, the SAINT, did it, in order to make sure dinner was hot on the table on schedule.  *huge eyeroll*

I think Kathryn looks good and healthy with a few extra pounds, and that the real problem is how she dresses.  She does not wear clothes that flatter her new figure, and it wouldn't be difficult at all to do so.  Skin tight, high-waisted pencil skirts look good on a very small percentage of women, and for now at least, she needs to let them go in favor of a nice, looser sundress.

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 5
(But mayo on salmon?  That's just weird.)

Is slathering mayonnaise on salmon really a thing?  Or did Kathryn make that up?  It seemed to come out blackened, and I never eat blackened fish nor know how to cook it, so maybe mayo is the key

Yup, it's for real.  Mayo is also recommended for chicken.  The mayo serves two purposes:  It seals the fillet and keeps the juices in, while also acting as the binder that holds the spices and seasonings.  Saw that on some random cooking show ages ago.  It works well!

• Love 4

I just started watching the show but I don't care if Ian Fleming made it that way Patricia, it wasn't a perfect martini, the butler candidate used a cocktail onion making it a Gibson, not a martini and serving it on ice is one way to water down that drink. Make sure the glass is ice cold and properly stir (though I guess since she liked Ian's version I will allow her to further make a weaker drink by shaking the ice), I guess I should be happy she at least knows it should be made with gin.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Oh, welcome to the fun, biakbiak, you'll love this show!

But mayo on salmon? That's just weird

This is the second time in a week someone has mentioned putting mayo on salmon. As Tunia said, it keeps the filet moist and seals in all the juices. Being stuck out in the boondocks leaves Kathryn plenty of time to watch Food Network all day long.

I also felt sorry for her in this episode. Thomas is an ass to her in front of his friends. Dani and Cameran looked mortified a couple of times.

As someone who watches Real Housewives of Atlanta, I did have to laugh when Thomas said he likes Kathryn's "physicality." An ex-prisoner talking like another ex-prisoner, Apollo Nida. Who is no longer an ex, but a present-day prisoner.

• Love 3

Shep and Cameran continue to amuse me.  What I love about them is that they exude the kinda Greek lifestyle type I went to college with,

And that's one of the reasons I don't like Shep.  I didn't think that type of guy was cute when I was in college and I find it pathetic in a supposed adult. 

• Love 1

Thomas and Kathryn do not belong together. He never saw her as a life partner; she was young, hot, and down for hookups. And then she was pregnant. Oops.

Like Cameran (love that girl!) said, she went from being a bar star to being a mom. She wasn't ready for responsibility, Thomas wasn't ready for commitment. This is actually kind of painful to watch. 

I know we're supposed to find Patricia a charming and quirky southern matron, but I just can't with this woman. All I see is a boozy old snob who somehow managed to marry a series of rich men. The less I see of her on this show, the better. Because I'm afraid she's going to reveal some more about her worldview that I probably already suspect, but won't find at all entertaining.

Did Craig lose a lot of weight? He looks so skinny now. I figure he must have lost his "baby weight", or maybe this is the effect of too much boozing and staying up all night, and then trying to work the next day. Time to grow up, guy.

• Love 4

I don't feel sorry for Kathryn.  She chose to tell Thomas she was pregnant, she chose to have that baby.  Birth control is legal, so is abortion.  Heck, even in 1965 an unmarried woman could go to her gynecologist, and have a "D&C."   Kathryn is lucky.  Many young single mothers her age don't have the luxury of living on a plantation; they have to get up early, get their child dressed, get themselves dressed, take the child to the babysitter and then go to work and do that for very little money.  Nope, don't feel sorry for her at all.

Kathryn had stars in her eyes, she thought being with Thomas would be like a fairy tale.  I'd be more understanding if she was born in the 1950's, but shit, all you have to do is get on the Internet and you'd know that's all bullshit.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 14

I feel for Landon, with the divorce and moving back etc.  I can't stand that nervous giggle though.  And the weird valley girl southern accent thing she's got going on makes me shudder.  I do not approve of her for our precious Shep at all.

• Love 7

With this episode, the bloom is rapidly coming off the rose.  Kathryn is miserable and Thomas treats her like crap.  I don't care for either of them, but wow, to hear him talking about having sex with another woman in front of everyone and on TV, when the other woman and Kathryn are sitting right there... he's a pig.  No woman deserves to be treated like that.  So much for TRav being a Southern gentleman.

And his talking heads... he pretty much said that he was drawn to Kathryn because of her long legs and her family name.  That was it; she was good breeding stock, worthy enough to carry a Ravenel baby.  Lucky her..  And comparing Kathryn unfavorably to his mother, well, his mother was no doubt trained to be a housewife and homemaker.  Kathryn wasn't and Thomas knew that from the start.

Geez, this episode depressed me.  Then watching someone dilute and shake a gin cocktail.  I'm with biakbiak on that.  So even Patricia disappointed me, considering a diluted Gibson the 'perfect' martini.

Bring the fun back, show!

• Love 3

I do feel bad for Kathryn.  At her age I certainly wasn't ready to be a mother or a "wife", so she is under a tremendous amount of pressure that for sure would have buckled me.  And I wouldn't have even had to deal with all the snobby scrutinizing and judgment that she does!  I can forgive her a LOT right now.  Even her saying "like" when she shouldn't.

Tremendous amount of pressure? I want her pressure. lol. She doesn't work, lives in luxury, and has a nanny. Her biggest problems are learning how to cook, and keeping the house clean. Now, I don't know alot of 22 yr. olds that would prefer that life, but she made that bed so she needs to deal with it. She wants to move back to the city because it reminds her of her single days. She's never going to have that carefree life again, whether she lives in the city or not, or breaks up with TRav or not.   

• Love 6

There's no way in hell she'll ever be a politician's wife. And I think he figured that out. Too late.

Well, there's no way in hell T-Rav will ever win an election, so no worries there!

I can't believe that I fell asleep during this show! I missed the dinner party! So the only comment I have is that the new butler used the fancy ice bag and mallet. I was irrationally excited to see that ice bag!

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 9

Tremendous amount of pressure? I want her pressure. lol. She doesn't work, lives in luxury, and has a nanny. Her biggest problems are learning how to cook, and keeping the house clean. Now, I don't know alot of 22 yr. olds that would prefer that life, but she made that bed so she needs to deal with it. She wants to move back to the city because it reminds her of her single days. She's never going to have that carefree life again, whether she lives in the city or not, or breaks up with TRav or not.   

I have to agree.  Pressure is being a single mom at that age with no job or a low paying job, no health insurance, no nanny and expensive day care to pay for so she can go to her low paying job.

I'm sure Thomas wouldn't marry someone unless she could prove to be able to have his babies (he was very open about needing a brood mare).  But now that she has proven she can give birth, he's realizing he has 30 years of hard-living behind him, while her adult life is just starting and they have nothing to build a relationship on except family names and a baby, so he doesn't want to marry her. 

But I don't feel sorry for her - she was complicit in getting pregnant because she wanted to marry him or she'd have been using birth control when having sex.  and her child will be well taken care of financially, as will she, for a while anyway.

• Love 5

I can understand Kathryn feeling trapped and bored by her life, but whining about how hard it is with a nanny and likely a cleaning person/crew? Give me a break lol, she's got a pretty sweet deal, if you ask me. I do think Trav is disrespectful to her, so that sucks. It seems she understands what the price to pay for her lifestyle is, though, and she's on board, so I don't feel too bad for her. We make bad decisions when we're young, hers could definitely have led to worse.

• Love 7

I think Thomas' comment about the Jen "spending a lot of time in is bed" is being misintepreted.Thomas said that she was the girlfriend of the caretaker of his house, and that they had been friends for years. I think he meant she literally spent a lot of time in his bed, but with his friend. Now, I think he said it that way for full shock value, and maybe that was disrespectful to Kathryn, but, I also suspect that he followed up that comment with something like, "not with me," and that was not shown. Also, in Kathryn's blog she has nice things to say about Jen. I guess we will know next week when Kathryn confronts her, but I don't think Jen and Thomas were an item.

• Love 5

I am one who also feels sorry for Kathryn.  Neither of them was using birth control, and it seemed like there was a deal that if she got pregnant, he would marry her.  I love how Whitney is so concerned that Thomas in being taken advantage of by Kathryn, when really, it seems like the other way around for me.  He got his beautiful baby girl, without having to marry Kathryn, and without being legally obligated to support her if they break up.

Thomas is truly ridiculous.  That he expects us to believe that he is just now realizing that Kathryn might not be the best political wife is disingenuous and insulting to the audience.  He is a 50-something year old man and knew very well what he was getting into, but didn't care because he was thinking with his dick.  I place more of the onus on him for this debacle than on Kathryn, because he should have known better.  And he can take his old-fashioned expectations and shove them.  His mother was a housewife, in what, the 1890's?  How can he compare the two at all?  Kathryn obviously loves her daughter and wanted to get her ready for bed, so I can't fault her for Thomas having to sit with a cold dinner.  

Patricia Altschul is the real deal in terms of socialites, but she and Whitney act like little bitches when they sit around and gossip about everyone.  It is making her fall out of favor with me, and her little titter is starting to sound bitter.  I have no use for Whitney and his man-love for Thomas.

Landon is growing on me.  She seemed really sincere when talking about the break-up of her marriage.  It's not often that a woman in the reality tv world (ie generally a famewhore) married to a wealthy man leaves because she isn't emotionally fulfilled, so I commend her.  (edited because women in reality tv are different than you and me)

Edited by balshureen
  • Love 6

Kathryn looked absolutely miserable at that dinner.  I don't think she is comfortable around TRav's friends at all, and will never fit in with that clique.  She trapped herself, and is now trying to fit into a big girl's shoes - no wonder she feels inadequate and insecure.

• Love 6

I feel for Landon, with the divorce and moving back etc.  I can't stand that nervous giggle though.  And the weird valley girl southern accent thing she's got going on makes me shudder.  I do not approve of her for our precious Shep at all.

I don't want to seem shallow, but Landon's husband was not very attractive. He must have had a large bank account.

• Love 3

Kathryn looked HIDEOUS at that dinner.  She reminded me of Heather Graham in Flowers in the Attic, trying to act all proper with her hair pulled back, etc.  That said, I feel so bad for her trying to fit in with these people, none of whom are nice to her, not even her supposed boyfriend/baby daddy. 

I just love Cameran.  She seems like such a sweetie and very sincere. 

• Love 3

I don't want to seem shallow, but Landon's husband was not very attractive. He must have had a large bank account.

I think she mentioned they had a house in the hills and he bought her lots of jewelry and she had a horse... seems like he was pretty well off.

I don't especially feel sorry for Kathryn, either, but she's clearly unhappy and that's not fun to watch. She makes me miss Jenna, not because Jenna was wit and charm personified but because she so clearly got along with all the other cast members. The Kathryn/T-Rav endless drama is draining and just isn't fun to watch. I can only imagine what it would be like to have to film with them.

Landon's poor little rich girl voice/act annoy me already but I kind of like her. She really has a lovely smile. Jury is still out on her. Again, would've much preferred to have JD as a full cast member than Landon. His talking heads are really good.

I have been following/stalking Jennifer on Twitter since this summer and wow, her campaign to insinuate herself into the cast is relentless. She is desperately hitching her star to Kathryn's.

Danni is just kind of ....there. She seems less comfortable this year than she did last. Danni seems like a genuinely sweet person so maybe reality TV isn't the venue for her.

With this episode, the bloom is rapidly coming off the rose.  Kathryn is miserable and Thomas treats her like crap.  I don't care for either of them, but wow, to hear him talking about having sex with another woman in front of everyone and on TV, when the other woman and Kathryn are sitting right there... he's a pig.  No woman deserves to be treated like that.  So much for TRav being a Southern gentleman.

And his talking heads... he pretty much said that he was drawn to Kathryn because of her long legs and her family name.  That was it; she was good breeding stock, worthy enough to carry a Ravenel baby.  Lucky her..  And comparing Kathryn unfavorably to his mother, well, his mother was no doubt trained to be a housewife and homemaker.  Kathryn wasn't and Thomas knew that from the start.

I grew up in the South and TRav reminds me of those "Southern gentlemen" who act one way in public and quite another in private - - although he's being an ass in private to Kathryn as well.  No way in hell does he love her or even respect her.  These little digs prove that.  How would he feel if she made these type of comments in front of him or his friends?  How would he feel if she said something along the lines of picking the wrong guy out of the group to hook up with?  I almost wish she would.

I despised Kathryn and her clown makeup last season but she's not bothering me (yet) this season.  I feel a very small amount of sympathy for her because she was a 22 year old dumbass whose only expectation in life seemed to be to marry well.  Heck, even her grandmother seemed down with her very young granddaughter knocking boots with a man old enough to be her father.  It's too bad that she had no goals for herself other than aligning herself with the right man.   She got a very cute baby girl out of the deal but IMO she's missing out on some very important time to be selfish and only worry about herself. 

Kathryn, girl . . . please get yourself a stylist.  I think Bette Davis wore your exact Political Announcement outfit in Now, Voyager.  In the "before" scenes.

Craig . . . dude, really?  Yeah, 26 is still young but to think it's ridiculous to show up to work when, you know, the office opens at 9?  No sympathy there.  You're done with school, just admit you don't want to take the Bar exam because you don't want to work.  You want to be the eternal frat boy like TRav. And maybe Shep although Shep is so darn cute.

WTF Whitney?  He told Craig he would pick him up for the TRav soiree and then just didn't show?  Patricia should be going after him with a stick over those rude manners. 

I feel for Landon over the divorce situation (survivor myself.)  The boat is an interesting choice.  I would personally go crazy unless I wasn't home much.  The dog is beyond super cute.

• Love 4

Why was Kathryn dressed like an old school marm? The hair....the collar necklace Shep was poking at....if she knew Thomas was going to announce his candidacy, did she think that was the look to be standing beside him for the throng of reporters that never showed? You know she wasn't dressed for a proposal. She'd have had her strumpet outfit on for that, right? With a ton of mascara.

The best line was when Cameron said she should have gone more for a Kate Middleton, not Mrs. Doubtfire.  I could not unsee that image throughout the rest of their dinner.   

And I loved "stop kicking me!" 

• Love 9

I have to add that while I am not a fan of all of Kathryn's different looks, I think her hair and makeup often look great, and as someone who does my hair and makeup the same way no matter the occasion (even if I try to do something different, i still end up looking the same), I think it is impressive.

Edited by balshureen
  • Love 1

Am I wrong for saying that Kathryn needs to play the game a little bit if she truly wants a ring from TRav?  Set aside the fact that he's a jerk....it still seems that a ring is her end goal.  The sour expression, dirty looks, kicking him under the table and general party-pooper attitude sure don't seem like they're going to get her anywhere.  Why would he even want to be around her? 

I really love Shep and I hope he stays true to who he is.  He isn't leading any girls on or making any promises, as far as we can see.  Not everyone (male or female) needs to settle down, get married and have babies....by a certain age or EVER.  Go Shep. 

• Love 7

And that's one of the reasons I don't like Shep.  I didn't think that type of guy was cute when I was in college and I find it pathetic in a supposed adult. 

I would find it pathetic if I were looking at Shep the way I imagine most women do. As potential husband material. But since I am so much older I can just find him adorable. At the same time I am grateful he is someone else's kid, although maybe when one is that rich one doesn't care if their son has no real ambition. It doesn't seem to bother Patricia with Whitney and Shep is just so much cuter and more charming.

I also like that, while he has a sense of humor, I don't see any cruelty in him. He seems pretty much a live and let live kind of guy.      

• Love 10

Kathryn, girl . . . please get yourself a stylist.  I think Bette Davis wore your exact Political Announcement outfit in Now, Voyager.  In the "before" scenes.

This is my thought as well.  Couldn't one of the girls take Kathryn under their wings for a couple of weeks and show her how to best play up her features?  Everyone has to deal with post-baby body but there are good ways to show off the best parts and minimize the bad parts.  Her makeup wavers from minimalist to put on with a BB gun, scattershot.

It wouldn't be that hard to even look on line and figure out how political spouses dress and how they do their hair and their make-up.

Most of all, the girl just needs an honest friend.  I'm not sure any of the girls on this show would have the patience or the desire to help her out and that's sad.  Yes, I know Kathryn sort of pushed her way in with Thomas, but she is there and right now is not a good asset for Thomas.  He has his own issues, the prison time being the most significant (did he learn nothing from watching John Edwards????), but having an 'appropriate political' wife could certainly help.

Someone, anyone, just step in and help Kathryn!!!!

I don't feel strongly about Patricia one way or the other but how is she the "real deal" as a socialite? Like many other women, she married well and fortuitously. Good for her; those decisions have ensured her financial security for life and provided material comfort and ease to her child. However, despite the disdain which the cast heaps on a somewhat silly but ultimately harmless 22-year-old, Kathryn herself is actually more pedigreed than Patricia, Whitney, and everyone else save perhaps Shep and Thomas. Her money may be so old that it's completely eroded, but, per the codes of "society," she was at least born into a "good"/prominent family, whereas Patricia married into name/relevance and wealth alike. Though, to be fair, Kathryn would potentially be happier were she equipped with Patricia's skills of self-invention. As others have noted, she really would probably stand a better chance of landing a wedding ring from T-Rav if she doted and coddled him or called him her "king." And it's not like women with children from previous marriages have never pulled off lucrative unions - Patricia is an example of that. I think Kathryn's social background/family name and the attendant sense of entitlement perhaps works against her in this respect; although she may know that she wants to marry for money, she lacks the necessary sense of urgency and discipline to achieve her objective. Thus, while I think Thomas' demands for dinner were unreasonable (what's the big deal about hiring a cook?), learning to adapt to expectations for any job/occupation, even - or perhaps especially - when that position is as an affluent homemaker.

• Love 3

I am one who also feels sorry for Kathryn.  Neither of them was using birth control, and it seemed like there was a deal that if she got pregnant, he would marry her.  I love how Whitney is so concerned that Thomas in being taken advantage of by Kathryn, when really, it seems like the other way around for me.  He got his beautiful baby girl, without having to marry Kathryn, and without being legally obligated to support her if they break up.

Thomas is truly ridiculous.  That he expects us to believe that he is just now realizing that Kathryn might not be the best political wife is disingenuous and insulting to the audience.  He is a 50-something year old man and knew very well what he was getting into, but didn't care because he was thinking with his dick.  I place more of the onus on him for this debacle than on Kathryn, because he should have known better.  And he can take his old-fashioned expectations and shove them.  His mother was a housewife, in what, the 1890's?  How can he compare the two at all?  Kathryn obviously loves her daughter and wanted to get her ready for bed, so I can't fault her for Thomas having to sit with a cold dinner.  

Patricia Altschul is the real deal in terms of socialites, but she and Whitney act like little bitches when they sit around and gossip about everyone.  It is making her fall out of favor with me, and her little titter is starting to sound bitter.  I have no use for Whitney and his man-love for Thomas.

Dear Whitney, you & yo mama can suck it. It is NOT classy to sit around & trash talk anyone, especially someone so much younger than BOTH of you old bitches. Patty is not as cute & clever as she thinks she is.

TRav is just nasty. He looked like something the cat coughed up on WWHL the other night. And acted like an asshole.

I also feel for Kathryn. Yeah, she got what she was after, but damn all of his friends and associates treat her like poo on the bottom of their loafers.

Please forgitve any typos, when they cut to Whitney at BAND PRACTICE, I rolled my eyes so hard I have an ocular injury.

As much as I, in the real world, probably wouldn't like Shep (southern, frat boy), I freaking LOVE him. Also, he says the most common sense, right on things about relationships (at least on this epi he did). Be single & love it!

If I ever go to Charleston, and IF I were to run into Whitney, I would be in jail bc I would run over his trifling ass in my Solara. If I didn't despise him so much, I'd feel bad for him. It sucks to be in love with someone who is never going to love you back. Especially bc you are the wrong gender for them.

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 7
It wouldn't be that hard to even look on line and figure out how political spouses dress and how they do their hair and their make-up.

You mean like this?

26ED096A00000578-3007209-image-m-74_1427

As one reporter remarked, "All she needs is a pillbox hat".

I don't feel sorry for Kathryn.  She chose to tell Thomas she was pregnant, she chose to have that baby.  Birth control is legal, so is abortion.  Heck, even in 1965 an unmarried woman could go to her gynecologist, and have a "D&C."   Kathryn is lucky.  Many young single mothers her age don't have the luxury of living on a plantation; they have to get up early, get their child dressed, get themselves dressed, take the child to the babysitter and then go to work and do that for very little money.  Nope, don't feel sorry for her at all.

YES! I feel sorry for that poor baby, who will grow up knowing she has 2 dumdum parents, (including a dad who likes making a fool of himself) who don't love each other and are stuck together because of her and she's probably going to end up a spoilt brat like the rest of them, unless there's stronger, smarter influences in her life.

Is Patricia a main character? Why do we see so much of her?

I wish Cam didn't keep her personal life off the show, she's got a good looking hubby and her wedding looks so beautiful.weddwimberly.jpg

• Love 1
I think Thomas' comment about the Jen "spending a lot of time in is bed" is being misintepreted.Thomas said that she was the girlfriend of the caretaker of his house, and that they had been friends for years. I think he meant she literally spent a lot of time in his bed, but with his friend.

Oh, yes, it was Thomas's idea of a joke. A very poor, bad taste joke in front of the mother of his child. My feeling is that he's doing a Prince Charles on her. Stick her in her place and then have all these expectations, none of which he probably ever discussed with her. At least Princess Di got the ring first.

If I didn't despise [Whitney] so much, I'd feel bad for him. It sucks to be in love with someone who is never going to love you back. Especially bc you are the wrong gender for them.

ROFL! It's funny because it's true.

• Love 5

Most of all, the girl just needs an honest friend.  I'm not sure any of the girls on this show would have the patience or the desire to help her out and that's sad.  Yes, I know Kathryn sort of pushed her way in with Thomas, but she is there and right now is not a good asset for Thomas.  He has his own issues, the prison time being the most significant (did he learn nothing from watching John Edwards????), but having an 'appropriate political' wife could certainly help.

Someone, anyone, just step in and help Kathryn!!!!

I don't think it will be anyone from this group. Kathryn is not just younger but they don't seem to have much of anything in common. I get the feeling she is the bratty little sister that your parents insist you take out with you and your friends, once in a while. You can't tell her anything, she won't listen.

They tried to be friendly, she didn't pick up on it, and now they just tolerate her. She wanted the trophy baby and she got it. I had a similar experience in my younger years and it is amazing how easy it is to see the dream in your head and not the reality in front of your eyes. I think this is what Kathryn is going through and nobody can tell her stubborn behind any different if they wanted to.

I think Thomas' comment about the Jen "spending a lot of time in is bed" is being misintepreted.Thomas said that she was the girlfriend of the caretaker of his house, and that they had been friends for years. I think he meant she literally spent a lot of time in his bed, but with his friend. Now, I think he said it that way for full shock value, and maybe that was disrespectful to Kathryn, but, I also suspect that he followed up that comment with something like, "not with me," and that was not shown. Also, in Kathryn's blog she has nice things to say about Jen. I guess we will know next week when Kathryn confronts her, but I don't think Jen and Thomas were an item.

Thank you! I just have the tv on as background noise and this part really confused me each time I heard it. I couldn't understand why there were no gasps, sudden choking, nervous laughter, change of subject, or kicks under the table. But I also thought TRav said she "spent a lot time with my dad", though. Your theory makes *way* more sense!
  • Love 1
I have been following/stalking Jennifer on Twitter since this summer and wow, her campaign to insinuate herself into the cast is relentless. She is desperately hitching her star to Kathryn's.

Oh! So this is the one who's been all over social media. I expected someone younger and more pushy. Jennifer seems ok on first viewing. Is she still dating Thomas's friend and if so what's he doing now? I don't imagine he's still Lt. Governor.

Jennifer seems more like the woman T-Rav should gotten serious with about marriage about 10 years ago. He would have been 42-43 then and could have found a woman in her early to mid 30s who had not yet married or was married with no children but was ready to settle down and be the political wife and stay-at-home mother as he clearly wants. (Nothing wrong with that if both parties agree.) Instead he took a detour to the state penitentiary and wiped out his political career. I wonder if he looks back on Bev Cart Girl and thinks how different it all might have been. 

His treatment of Kathryn makes him look like an ass, and I suspect he is one. If I were her I'd give up on the idea of marriage and go get my own place, because  really, who would want to marry him after being treated that way? His behavior toward her seems so passive-agressive -- moving her way out to the plantation, selling the Charleston house, making ugly jokes -- like he's punishing her for getting pregnant when he sure did nothing to prevent it. Plus, as someone who can say this because I'm just slightly younger than him, he's OLD. She's too young to realize what all the years of booze and blow have done to him, but it's starting to show quite clearly.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 4

All Kathryn needs to do to get T-Rav's attention is to pay attention to other men. He's the type that will marry her just so no one else can have her. If that's what she really wants. Personally, I think she can do better.

Can you see Thomas seething with jealousy at the thought of another man being stepfather to his daughter?

• Love 10