Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

• Start Topic

I really liked Danni last season-I was hoping that she'd be added to the cast.

Landon has bored and borderline irritated me so far.  Not sure if I can be swayed to either side of 'meh' on her.

He's developing that icky, alcholic WC Fields kind of nose.  In the dinner party scene of this latest episode, he also had that lushy, red-splotches thing going on in the center of his face.  So far, they've done a decent job of editing how bad he really looks, but in more candid shots, he's starting to look super rough.

Once the Bravo producers get pissed off at him and decide to give him a bad edit, we'll see a whole lot of the broken veins and red blotches.

• Love 6

I really liked Danni last season-I was hoping that she'd be added to the cast.

Landon has bored and borderline irritated me so far.  Not sure if I can be swayed to either side of 'meh' on her.

I was OK with Landon until I read her Twitter.  Nothing scandalous just very materialistic.  Bleh.

• Love 1

I'm not sure that Whitney thinks that's bad.  He seems quite pleased with himself.

Cameran's mother is nothing but gracious.  So Cameran responds by criticizing her office decor (where she is getting space for free) and mocks her for not knowing her wireless name.  How about this Cam?  Get off your Lily Pulitzer ass, walk into your mother's office and click on the wireless icon and figure out the name yourself.   I'm sure she thought it was cute but it's just disrespectful.  And that's Cam's entire personality on this show.  Sounds nice and sweet and then gives an unwarranted dig.  Boo.

Whitney looks like he could go on tour with The Monkees.  And not s tribute band (if they have one). 

Craig's face looks better thin but his body doesn't.  Gotta lay off the uppers.

Cameran found the wireless she asked the password her mother didnt know it and its not something she should be able to find on the computer her mom told her only the assistant new it.

• Love 1

Cameran found the wireless she asked the password her mother didnt know it and its not something she should be able to find on the computer her mom told her only the assistant new it.

That wouldn't have been too bad.  However, that's not what was said.

http://www.bravotv.com/now/southern-charm/full-episode/guess-whos-coming-to-dinner/416404035627

Around the 3 minute mark:

Cameran:  Mom. What's your wi-fi connection name?

Mom: What do you mean, the name?

Cameran: To get on the wi-fi.

Mom: I don't know. That's a Chrissy question and she's not in yet.

Cameran:  Well mom, I can't do anything unless I have the internet.  That's the basis of my job.

Mom:  Well I just click on - I just click.

Cameran: Oh God, help.

This is all while Cameran is still in another room with the door closed.  You can see her mousing around like she's trying to find something.  Not typing trying to guess a password.  But more like mousing over the connection choices, trying to guess which one is her mom's.

• Love 1

I didn't find Cameran to be disrespectful to her mother. Cameran doesn't annoy me but that's probably because I didn't watch her season of the Real World and don't have that horrible Real World aftertaste. I thought it was just playful mother -daughter banter in a scene staged by Bravo. I know good and hell well that the entire production staff probably had the damn password before they started shooting scene.

• Love 8

I found Cameran to be disrespectful in that scene and in many others.  She disses almost everyone.   

There's nothing in the scene to suggest that Cameran was looking for a password, she stated it quite clearly.

• Love 1

Landon is just boring.  She's pretty and wealthy and a friend of Shep's but other than that I'm not sure what the point is.  Of course, Jenna really didn't make sense on the show either.

I'm surprised they didn't make Danni a cast member but perhaps she only hangs out with Kathryn?

I actually think it was a good idea for TRav, Kathryn and Kensie to spend the first six months with the baby on the plantation without any distractions.  If they were going to bond as a family that would've been the time to do it.  I think if they had lived in town the baby would've spent all her time with the Nanny and her parents would've been out (separately) on the town.  Cameran is wise to suggest the suburbs over downtown.  If Thomas doesn't know by now if he wants to marry Kathryn, it's not going to happen.  Kathryn will be taken care of until Kensie grows up through child support for her.  If she saved some of that money she could probably live off of it the rest of her life.

It's pretty clear that Whitney is jealous of Kathryn.  I think everyone sees it except for Kathryn and Thomas.

Craig is on a downward spiral.  Why does he have to show up for work at 9 if he gets his work done on time?  Part of your work is showing up at 9!  If you're not showing up, you're not getting your work done.  Does he think a judge will just change all of his hearings to the afternoon because it's more convenient for him?  I get that he doesn't want to grow up but bagging on the Bar Exam isn't the time to do it.

I'd like to know more about JD and why he's Thomas's BFF.

Lastly, the time to ask Cameran if she'd be interested in you Shep was when she was single, not newly married.  And no matter what she says, of course she'd be interested, maybe not as a husband, but as a date.

• Love 3

Yes, Shep seems like he'd be a great date.  You could take him anywhere - polo matches, hot dog stands, beach bonfire, a family wedding.  He'd be funny and crack jokes the whole time, and he'd be polite and charming to your grandma.  He just wouldn't be able to drive you because he'd be drunk, so you'd need a limo or do the driving yourself.  If he were broke instead of rich, he could be a walker to Patricia.  She'd provide the booze and the butler.

• Love 8

Craig's brother is HOT. Yes, please.

Word. They also look absolutely nothing alike. Craig's cute but his brother really is fucking hot. (Although his legs are a little skinny for a guy who used to play lacrosse.)

It's a shame the guy lives in Delaware and seems to have a more responsible life (girlfriend/job that doesn't look like it's up in the air) and can't be on the show more.

That's exactly how I feel, only about Craig. Shep at least is witty and charming, and that belies a natural intelligence in my book.  Craig, on the other hand, is a cardboard cutout stereotype.  I find him utterly boring and immature.

Craig had his moments in season 1 where I really liked him, like his crack about seeing if Thomas can his true love in the 21-year old. Mostly though, he's a guy that is literally a dime a dozen.

I keep wondering though if when he talks we're hearing the Delaware accent, which makes me wonder if that's what my Delaware accent sounds like. LOL.

• Love 2

I also felt that Landon was playing poor me, I gave up everything to be happy. You were married for 11 years to an apparantly wealthy man. You didn't leave the relationship without some money.

Edited by Locutus
  • Love 2

Landon talks weird... that's about what bothers me.  Her upper lip doesn't move lol

And they had to use shep's vehicle to move her to the boat? She didn't leave that marriage with a car? 

Landon talks weird... that's about what bothers me.  Her upper lip doesn't move lol

And they had to use shep's vehicle to move her to the boat? She didn't leave that marriage with a car?

I think this boat is a set-up for the show only. So they can have parties there, maybe? Shep driving her to the boat is a reason for them to have a scene together, I think.

• Love 2

I think this boat is a set-up for the show only. So they can have parties there, maybe? Shep driving her to the boat is a reason for them to have a scene together, I think.

That's what I kinda figured.  Or maybe there's no where for her to park a car full time there either.  Who knows!

I don't find Craig likable. I think it's that horrible droning tone of his voice. Like life is just too boring for a cool dude like him. Oh, and also that he's a grown man and doesn't want to get up for work like the rest of us poor slobs.

Oh, and I'm from a mid Atlantic state. Craig's monotone is not characteristic of the area. Someone said he's from Delaware, right? That's not what they sound like there. Maybe the stuck-up frat boys do, but not the folks around town that I've run into.

Edited by jennylauren123
  • Love 3

I have been following/stalking Jennifer on Twitter since this summer and wow, her campaign to insinuate herself into the cast is relentless. She is desperately hitching her star to Kathryn's.

I saw in her Instagram bio she refers to herself as a "cast member of Southern Charm." Honey, you aren't in the opening credits. Simmer down a bit. Kathryn is always tagging her in inspirational/BFF-type quotes on IG, too.

• Love 4

I presumed it was rented by Bravo, just like "Jenna's house" was last season.

• Love 2

For some reason, I get Shep and Craig confused with each other.

Shep is the adorable, funny one with the winning personality. He laughs at his own jokes and his teeth are too big for his mouth, but no one's perfect!

Craig is the other good-looking one, who wants to party and not go to work, LOL.

I don't find Craig likable. I think it's that horrible droning tone of his voice. Like life is just too boring for a cool dude like him. Oh, and also that he's a grown man and doesn't want to get up for work like the rest of us poor slobs.

Oh, and I'm from a mid Atlantic state. Craig's monotone is not characteristic of the area. Someone said he's from Delaware, right? That's not what they sound like there. Maybe the stuck-up frat boys do, but not the folks around town that I've run into.

See, his voice would absolutely fit in with the preppy University of Delaware students, but he didn't go there, and he's supposed to be from southern Delaware, which has this weird Southern twang. Maybe it's just the way he talks. He actually sounds a lot like the southern New Jersey beach bunnies/northern Delaware frat bros. My view of the Northern Delaware accent is that it's like Philly, but kind of slowed down and monotonous. But again, he's from Slower Lower, which sounds different.

• Love 1

I presumed it was rented by Bravo, just like "Jenna's house" was last season.

That's what I thought.  Looking at Landon's Twitter yesterday, she is still posting photos on the boat so... maybe she bought it and used it for filming and for outings?

• Love 1

Did Ravenel actually think he had a chance to win, REALLY. He just can't go away?
Who could POSSIBLY take him seriously. The drug allegations? The resigning from office? AND this behavior on this show.... UGH. He supposedly has all this breeding and class...Really. He's actually quite a sad example of a human being. Blessed with so much.....and yet so shallow.

• Love 8

Yes, I noticed her at the dinner party in a quick shot. She probably is ok with playing along if it helps their business but maybe somewhat embarrassed to be part of the show.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2

See, his voice would absolutely fit in with the preppy University of Delaware students, but he didn't go there, and he's supposed to be from southern Delaware, which has this weird Southern twang. Maybe it's just the way he talks. He actually sounds a lot like the southern New Jersey beach bunnies/northern Delaware frat bros. My view of the Northern Delaware accent is that it's like Philly, but kind of slowed down and monotonous. But again, he's from Slower Lower, which sounds different.

How in the world is Delaware large enough to have two distinct accents?

I think Craig sounds like he's permanently stuffed up with a sinus infection.

• Love 1

How in the world is Delaware large enough to have two distinct accents?

I think Craig sounds like he's permanently stuffed up with a sinus infection.

That's a good question, but it happens. I live in the DC Metro Area, and we sound very different from people in Baltimore, Maryland. We're only about an an hour away, but we have different accents, for sure. And the Baltimore suburbs have different accents, too. We used to say, "I'm from Dundawk, hun!" (Dundawk being Dundalk, Md.). Wilmington, DE, has a different accent from down state. It's closer to the Philly accent.

I also felt that Landon was playing poor me, I gave up everything to be happy. You were married for 11 years to an apparantly wealthy man. You didn't leave the relationship without some money.

I wasn't feeling sorry for her at all.  Her husband was wealthy but not spending time with her.  I wonder if there's more to it.

Edited by Neurochick

I feel bad for JD's wife, Elizabeth (???). This does not seem like her 'crowd' at all.

Elizabeth is keeping a very low profile. We only saw her a couple of times in the first season: she accompanied JD to the party at Whitney's in the first episode and there were the two parties she and JD hosted, the Sunday dinner at their house and the Columbia Day bash at the restaurant. This season, we're still only getting brief glimpses of her in the background. Maybe she's just shy and doesn't want to be in the spotlight. Maybe she's a lady of the old school who finds the whole reality show idea tacky and vulgar. It's clear that this isn't her "crowd" and she's just going along with it because JD loves it.

I think another reason we don't see her much is that she's not nearly as enchanted with T-Rav as her husband is. She doesn't seem to go anywhere Thomas is unless she can't avoid it (JD must have really sweet-talked her into being the replacement godmother in that stupid christening). She's probably spent way too many evenings listening politely to T-Rav's pompous drunken ramblings and as the mother of a young family, she's probably not as quick to shrug off his drug conviction as the rest of his "hip" entourage. I'm sure she considers him a bad influence on her husband.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 5

Some observations from this last episode:

Interesting to see the big "I'm running for office" announcement from my perspective as a SC resident and knowing the outcome. 

Kathryn's pouting and negative vibe is a total turnoff. It's making her very unattractive -- besides the horrible styling in the dinner scene.  Initially T-Rav was attracted to her fire (as well as "those long legs"). She may need to summon some HoC's Claire Underwood vibe if she wants to keep hanging out with Thomas. I could see him being attracted to that kind of woman. I suspect Kathryn is going to be a much different, stronger woman in 10 years, but her youthful insecurity is a bad pairing with T-Rav's extensive "life experience." 

The contrast between Cam and Kathryn at the dinner party was startling -- happy, outgoing, joking versus insecure, bitter, stern.  

I'm dying to know more about Landon's ex-husband and how they met. 

To be fair, Cameran can afford to be upbeat and chipper. She's locked in the man she wanted and is a happy newlywed. Life is going her way. The same can't be said for Kathryn and yes, I do feel sorry for her. I can relate to her insecurity and feeling stuck with her situation that she caused without realizing the repercussions.

Why didn't Thomas and Kathryn drive together to the restaurant to make Thomas' announcement? Then when Thomas arrived he greeted her warmly, "hi honey" but gave her a peck on the cheek and a pat like she was a buddy. Very sad, the whole thing.

Someone guessed Jen to be in her 30's. Really? She looks 48 to me.

I find Craig highly unlikable. What is it about him? Well, there's the fact that he seems misogynist and is very immature about life but mainly women. He is a try-hard and a phony. I hate his ageist cracks to Cameran. Cameran is young and beautiful. You think 30 is old Craig? You have issues. Women can be gorgeous in their 60's now!

T-Rav is rapidly unRAVeling.

When Shep was joking about how one day Kensie will have "rager parties" at the plantation and how he'll probably be at some of them, Kathryn was all, "Oh, no, no way." Yeah, it's kinda gross, right Kathryn? Because Shep will be 54 when Kensie is 21. Looks kinda like another couple we're familiar with, doesn't it?

Ohhhh SNAP!!

• Love 2

I was the one who asked if Jen was mid to late 30s. I actually think she looks late 40s but I'm so bad at guessing ages -- I didn't want to accidentally age her by a decade! Though I don't mean she looks old -- she's attractive and well-dressed. Sems nice enough, and would have been far more appropriate for Thomas, but I'll bet she knew him well enough that she'd have said "No thanks."

Edited by RedHawk

I turned 50 in early March and to me Jennifer looks like she could be my waaaay older sister.   That single tone fake hair color is doing her no favors.

• Love 2

That's a good question, but it happens. I live in the DC Metro Area, and we sound very different from people in Baltimore, Maryland. We're only about an an hour away, but we have different accents, for sure. And the Baltimore suburbs have different accents, too. We used to say, "I'm from Dundawk, hun!" (Dundawk being Dundalk, Md.). Wilmington, DE, has a different accent from down state. It's closer to the Philly accent.

Yeah, the northern half of the state is basically one big Philly suburb, which is why it's similar to the Philly accent- but it's also slower and more monotone.

But Craig's accent should sound more like this:

Edited by methodwriter85

I think Whitney thinks he's too cool for school and that he looks awesome on the show. Especially when rocking out with his lame band.

Totally agree, man.  He's so ROCK AND ROLL with his twee little green cocktail and his "clever" band name.  After school he spends time chatting with his Mommy and has a snack and then he goes over to his friend's house for band practice.

"It's boner spelled backwards."  What are you, 14?

What a renob.

Edited by Oosala
  • Love 8

Yeah, the northern half of the state is basically one big Philly suburb, which is why it's similar to the Philly accent- but it's also slower and more monotone.

But Craig's accent should sound more like this:

Oh. I've never heard anyone in real life with this accent. Thank you for sharing. That was interesting. It sounded southern but with different O's, like "poosted " for posted?

I think that's the best way to describe the Southern Delaware accent. It's got this southern twang to it, but not quite. It's very distinctive from the Northern Delaware accent, which isn't really much more than just a Philly accent but slowed down.

Both sides have a weird way of saying "oh" sounds, though. I think I heard it when Craig said "home." It's really funny though- I really would have guessed he was from Northern Delaware if you told me he was from Delaware and I heard him speak. I think Craig's brother might have had that Southern Delaware accent more but I can't tell.

Edited by methodwriter85

I think that's the best way to describe the Southern Delaware accent. It's got this southern twang to it, but not quite. It's very distinctive from the Northern Delaware accent, which isn't really much more than just a Philly accent but slowed down.

Both sides have a weird way of saying "oh" sounds, though. I think I heard it when Craig said "home." It's really funny though- I really would have guessed he was from Northern Delaware if you told me he was from Delaware and I heard him speak. I think Craig's brother might have had that Southern Delaware accent more but I can't tell.

Here's my take on it--Craig is probably douchey, manipulative, and insecure enough to have looked at both Delaware accents, and chose the "cool" one to use on the show. He is smart, and hyper-aware that, if Jenna was last up on the chopping block, he probably made it through by the skin on his teeth. If he perceives that Southern Charm is looking for a typical, frat, University of Delaware, monotone guy, he will be that. It's subtle, but I bet if Bravo told Craig to jump, his response would be, "How, like, high...maaan?"

*None of this should be construed to convey that I dislike Craig any more than I dislike someone like Whitney. Some of the shadiest people are the most interesting.*

And I think Craig's boss should have probably looked into letting him come into work at 3 pm if it was true that he could get all of his work done. He's not a lawyer, so there are no 9 am hearings he'd have to attend. The boss would have to give him the time off if he were studying for the bar, so now that he's not taking the bar right away, there should be room for negotiation. I'm a lawyer, and there is so much technology that didn't exist even 10 years ago that allows lawyers to work for a firm, but to work from home, and the client has no idea that lawyer isn't billing from an office. Maybe Craig could work from home, in his PJs, sipping on mimosas from like noon to three. I even know of a few firms here in Florida where the lawyer works in one state, and all of his support staff work in a different state. It's shady (not illegal) but...Craig is shady. And I am willing to bet the law firm that keeps him on staff for two seasons now, flashing their big white sign at every juncture, might have a bit of shade to it. All I'm advocating is to give the kid a break if it's not going to hurt the bottom line. It might be a pain in the ass to accommodate him, but some of these young, innovative types, which may include Craig, can be very key in developing a firm. It might be like throwing out the baby with the bath water to insist that Craig conform to a rigid standard if he is indeed hard-working and talented, his only problem being that he doesn't conform to normal business hours. If he's just lazy and looking for special treatment, then his boss should tell him to report to work promptly at 7:30 am each morning.

I get the feeling that Craig is going to be one of those people who reinvents himself every ten years of his adult life.

Edited by N. Bluth
  • Love 3

I don't understand why Craig is on this show. His presence makes me think of those childhood puzzles: which object in this picture does not belong with the other objects? If they removed him from the cast no one would notice. If we want obnoxious or snarky, we've already got Thomas, Whitney and Patricia.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

I just started watching this show (and sadly can't find season one anywhere online) so I don't know the history of these people and maybe that's coloring my views. But I thought Kathryn was beautiful but miserable and felt very badly for her. Not because there aren't people who have it worse than her, of course there are, but because she just seems so unhappy and trapped! She didn't seem like a terrible person and I didn't feel she was all that whiney, just expressing how overwhelmed she felt. Her baby daddy is a trip, what a man child.

Is Whitney out? I couldn't figure out if he's open or not but he's certainly in love with Thomas. He seems very desperate to hold on to a youthful image and is failing.

Edited by racked
  • Love 2