Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E04: S30.E04: Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner / S03.E05: We're Finally Playing Some Survivor

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Alliances get shaken up when players drop their buffs and switch tribes. Also, one castaway struggles after receiving a blow to the head; and one man tries to flex his power in the game, which could be his greatest weakness.
  • Love 1

Seriously. That was the most obvious Immunity Challenge win in a long time - it wasn't even close. I would hope next week has a puzzle portion that could allow the other tribe a chance to win. 

And meanwhile Probst, true to form is practically orgasmic about the 'domination' of the male-dominated tribe in that IC. Mercy, that was so lopsided based on the composition of the tribes.

• Love 12

They really want a man to win this season, don't they?  Dan is the Screech of that alliance.  Definitely not smarter than he looks, and is as bad as Nina was.  I'm guessing that's why they make it "random" when they pick buffs so they can say they don't play favorites.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 7

OK, I kinda love Jenn.  I'm glad the new red team lost because there is some serious Survivor play going on.  Agree that both Max and Shirin are annoying.

Wait a minute,"inauthentic kumbaya?"  OMG!.

• Love 13

Wow, looks like the guys were trying to write a manual on how us women's minds work, didn't know that my thoughts and actions were scripted by men. Guess I should send my gray cells on an extended vacay, or wait, maybe I should let a "man" instruct me. 

Perhaps that's why I'm still not feeling this season.  I had a lot of hopes for it when it started, where's all the greatness that Probbie promised?  And this was supposed to be the most intense episode evah? That was 1.75 hours of whatever that even a broken head and a tribe switch couldn't fix.  

And then there was the whack-a-doodle TC that offended Probbie's botox.  Maybe the episode would have been more enjoyable if I watched it drunk.

• Love 15

I hate that the red team lost by such a landslide, but maybe that's a good sign long term that they got players.  Rodney, Mike, and Dan should take note.  If this is the "best episode ever", then I cringe what the rest of the season holds.  Still onboard, but it was hard after tonight.  I love the former NC tribe, thank you Carolyn for being a player.  I never expected the "survivor expert" to go so early.  And you'd think for being such a fan, he'd know a little better.  I'm hoping all the chauvinism shown tonight means a guy isn't winning this season.

I feel sorry for Joe being on that tribe of meatheads.  Hopefully Sierra makes good on her promise that her old tribe is dead to her.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 6

How is it that two people who clearly love the game so much and seem to remember every single thing about it were so god awful at it? Man Max and Shirin are just clueless out there. How is it possible that they were reading the tribe and reading their tribemates so badly? So not to be mean but Max isn't still teaching that course on Survivor is he because I can't see any of his students taking him seriously after this.

I have to stress again how lopsided those two tribes are and it's a pity because I'm actually really interested to see what happens if the blue tribe goes to tribal council. Joe is kind of in a vulnerable position as the only person from his tribe and of course the former Blue Collar have all the numbers. But Rodney and Dan can't help being annoying and irritating people so it's very possible they could annoy Tyler, Joaquin and of course Sierra is a wild card. She may just be emotional because the vote was so recent but when push comes to shove, might still stick with her former tribemates. However, unless the IC doesn't require anything physical, I just don't see how the red tribe wins. 

The first episode was okay. It was telegraphed pretty early that either White Collar or Blue Collar was going to tribal council so I knew No Collar wasn't going to lose again. And I'm glad that there wasn't any Brains tribe situation this season and instead every tribe suffered a loss at least once. It mixes the numbers a lot better I think for the merge, even though former Blue Collar is still looking the strongest, with Max, a former White Collar going home in the second episode.

With regards to the vote, Lindsay and Rodney were both annoying but I would have kept Lindsay because she was just loud and a bit of a hot head while Rodney is obnoxious, an idiot and a sexist tool. However, I can comfort myself with the knowledge that there is no way that idiot is going to win. Meanwhile I will need every guy from Blue Collar to shut up about what women think, how they feel, etc. It was amazing how they all somehow managed to say something obnoxious and/or annoying about women, though Rodney still wins. 

I agree about Jenn being hilarious this episode. Her WTF faces at Shirin and Max were awesome and I did laugh at her jokingly calling Joe Satan for killing the chicken. Also, poor Kelly (is that her name) in the first episode - woman gets 6 stitches and it's all for nothing as they lost the reward challenge anyway.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 14

Blechh!  First Rodney stays, then we swap to "Weak vs. Strong".

Peachy loves this.  A bunch of alpha males fighting for dominance.

Max must feel so bad his genius was not appreciated.  A legend in his own mind.

I would have whacked Shirin first.  That would shut her up.

• Love 21

I think Max the "Survivor Expert" was more concerned about showing off his knowledge of the game rather than actually playing it.  Certainly young Jenn, also a student of the game, outplayed him.

• Love 19

I'm still wondering why they went with Max rather than Shirin.  I mean you only have 2 guys on your team and one of them is not very strong why would you vote out the other?

Max must have really been annoying.  More annoying than Shirin?  wow.

• Love 20

Well, that wasn't much fun. I still don't find myself caring for anybody left in the game, and I'm disappointed that Max is out. You need as maybe Survivor geeks as possible, and we're out by one. Oh, and Max? I reckon the most uneven twist was S4, when one tribe was just old Paschal and four women. Take heart in knowing that your spilt probably ranks in the top five.

Seriously, I feel more compelled by the lizard with all the nasty critters on its face, because I saw it in the teasers. I think I'd get along with Shirin, but I'm not fretting about her seemingly inevitable ouster. She's probably an interesting person, but she's on the wrong tribe now. Also, the majority at the red tribe seem intent on keeping Will, which is nuts. Did any of the blue or white-collars see him in action? Or inaction?

Bit of a waste of two hours. We could've had an episode of TAR to offset the NCAA tournament-influenced hiatus, and that would've been more fun than what we had tonight.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Can't say I'm sorry to see Max gone.  That faux-hipster/Survivor-master schtick was getting old.

Glad to see Lindsey gone.  Too bad they couldn't have gotten rid of Rodney at the same time, though.  

I'm not a fan of Shirin's, but I think I dislike Jenn more, what with the complaining that she's been around Shirin for 12 hours and knows too much about her, yet admits she doesn't know her name. 

Ew to the lizard with the millipedes crawling all over it.  Why, Survivor?

I hope someone assures Hali that she doesn't have to drink water that anyone's feet have been soaking in.

• Love 5

STFU up Max and go back to studying Survivir because you flunked, you got your naked ass voted off. Yes! Shirin looked like she was going to faint.

These tribes are so unevenly matched. If the challenges stay physical the red tribe is screwed. I know Max was annoying but he was physically stronger than Will and some of the other women on that tribe.

I wanted to throw stuff at my TV Everytime Rodney was on. The guy is definitely a woman hater (aside from his sainted mutha). Hope he gets voted off if blue team ever goes to TC.

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 11

Max is a pretty good example that if you work up the courage and follow your dreams sometimes you get crushed in a pretty humiliating manner.

It's an interesting season, I really have no idea who looks like the winner at this point. 

• Love 22

I can't really say this is going to be "the best season ever", which is no surprise since I rarely agree with Jeff.  My like for a lot of people went down tonight.  I half wondered if Max/Shirin purposely threw the challenge at the end, though given how horrible their tribe is, they didn't need to try hard.  Was Will really a blindside?  And what was the point of a tie vote at the first TC?  Just to throw around how cocky they are?

I do agree with Dan's assessment of how men should listen to women.  And I totally agree that men listeners tend to want to fix the problem and women listeners tend to want to understand the problem, then console. 

Rodney is a tool.  And Mike's voice drives me nuts.

• Love 1

Loved Carolyn and her eye roll.I always root for women,especially older women.  Carolyn looks promising. I like Carolyn, Sierra,  and Jenn,so far.

I think So picked the wrong people to align with.  Carolyn's got game.  I had a feeling it was going to be Max and Shirin, but given Jenn's talk earlier about scriewing up someone's game, I figured it could be her.  That was about the only suspenseful, good thing about that episode. 

• Love 1

I don't remember the last time - or any time - that a contestant had such a consistently hilarious episode as Jenn did tonight. That was great - she's now my rooting interest.

I thought Prob was more decent than expected during the IC. At least he wasn't constantly screaming at the red tribe to PICK IT UP PICK IT UP YOU GOTTA PICK IT UP.

• Love 8

Yes to the above 5 comments.  Could we possibly see a female mastermind season?  Please?

(Ummm,last season was one with Natalie--whatever.)

Edited by susannot
  • Love 3

Anyone else find Shirin's comment about getting a LOT more sleeping space if Will was voted out on the mean-spirited side?

Nah, just about everybody from day one he's been tribe mates with has talked about his size being a liability, they sometimes couched it as concern for his health, but that's still what they meant. He's a big dude, he knows it.

• Love 1

Max probably wasn't the smartest choice for physical purposes, but NC can keep their numbers and get rid of a physical threat down the road (not to mention annoying voice).  I think telling them what a mess they were as a tribe as thought he was scolding him like a principal.  Really can't wait to read his exit interviews.  I worry Joe might get targeted at the other tribe for being the lone NC left, but hopefully Rodney puts a target on his and Joaquin's back.  The ladies seem to be playing a lot smarter, hopefully the egomaniacs of testosterone and chauvinism don't pick them off.

• Love 1

OK, so I think I've found the only way any of these people other than MAAAAAAYBE Kelly can be likeable.  And that's if they hate the same people I hate.  Good news for Carolyn and Sierra!  Tribes are hilariously inequal as y'all have already mentioned.  They even got the most athletic woman.  Which means there are only two ways this can go.  Either the dominant tribe dominates and then summarily removes the crappy tribe or they fracture hilariously leading to an upset win for (probably) Kelly or Carolyn.

Actually, let's bring back an old gimmick of mine from One World.  Likability/winnability:

Genuinely Cool People

(Tier Left Blank)

People Who Hate the People I Hate

1. Carolyn - Has more of a clear personality than the other member of this tier.  Had a genuinely fantastic moment when Shirin is talking to her in the water and her expression was essentially "Dear Lord woman, are you fucking insane thinking I'm with you?"  That Shirin couldn't read it was the single best moment of either episode.

2. Sierra - Kind of sucks, but hates a bunch of assholes.  And that's good enough for #2 in this cast.

Person Who Might Be Cool, But Sided With a TON of Assholes

3. Kelly - I think she's probably pretty cool.  But her choice of alliance concerns me unless she's already thinking about goats.

Has the Capacity to Bring the Funny

4. Will - Not a great character, but sometimes makes good jokes.  Not an asshole as of yet.  Though dumb.

Kind of Tools, But Not Actively Offensive

5. Joe - Sort of a good dude, but was a bit of a back stabby asshole to Nina.  If she didn't suck so much, that would hurt him more.

6. Hali - Points off for her voice, but points for being the best looking woman left, I guess?  I dunno, she's kind of dumb and not very interesting.  But she doesn't actively suck.

Channeling Katie From Palau

7. Jenn - Snark towards everyone, is obnoxious when picking on underdogs but kind of hilarious when picking on people who are awful.  Had a genuinely funny confessional with her horse racing metaphor, though I think that joke could be executed a little better.

Who Is This Person?

8. Tyler - No, seriously, who is this person?

Obnoxious, But Possibly a Half Decent Player

9. Dan - Couched in sexist terms, but at least he understands that a key to playing this game well is empathy.  So that's kind of good?  At least he's not...

You Suck

10. Joaquin - Sociopath joke WAS funny but then you decided you thought you believed it and you killed it.

11. Shirin - Weird, obnoxious, not cool, won't be quiet.  You're awful, but better than...

12. Mike - You are gross.  Go home sir.  The icing on the douche cake was the trying to be all nice to Sierra while obviously having gloated on your vote card to her friend.

Worst Since Colton

13. Rodney - Oh my God, what a shitheel.  Gross in every possibly way.  Though I guess he hasn't revealed himself to be a racist.  Yet.  That dude from Boston is a STRONG candidate though.  Plus there's the sexism, the smugness, the creepy sister thing and just, yikes.  No.  No.

---

People in Good Position

1. Tyler - Strength is not really an issue for that tribe and I think he's the smartest person in what I think becomes the majority alliance (Himself, Joe, Sierra, Joaquin) there.  He's quiet and I don't really know much about him, but that also means he's not being an offensive jackass yet, which is good news for winning.

2. Joe - Likable, in what I think becomes the majority alliance in the majority merge tribe, but absolutely has to win immunities late because I suspect he's a little too likable.

People in Tenuous But Decent Position

3. Carolyn - If the majority tribe implodes spectacularly at the merge, I think she's in good shape.  Has an idol, is relatively smart (though not super smart, because no one in this cast is), is useful enough in challenges that her tribe won't necessarily want to get rid of her, but she does need to make it to the merge.  A merge at 12 would be a HUGE help to her game.

4. Kelly - Basically in the same spot as Carolyn, but no idol.

Sketchy Position, But Potential Winner

5. Dan - I think of the Blue Collar Brodown, he's got the best chance.  He's the least public asshole of them and when he's being an asshole publicly is trying to be funny.  If they can win long enough for Sierra to forgive him, maybe he can get her and survive.

Has an Idol and the Majority

6. Jenn - What the tier says on the tin.  Don't see her winning though, too abrasive of a personality and not smart enough.  At least sound out Carolyn instead of assuming, you know?

Your Likely Goat(s)

7. Joaquin - Like his shot at being at FTC.  Don't like his shot at getting more than a vote from an asshole Bro.

8. Sierra - Girl who people don't like but is useful for voting purposes and a dude can claim was on his coattails to the end.

If Something REALLY Weird Happened

9. Will - Other tribe implodes, Carolyn/Kelly are cast off at 4/5 and he's up against Hali and Jenn?  Maybe?

10. Hali - Ditto

11. Mike - I mean, theoretically F3 could be him, Rodney and Shirin.  He could win that.

NOOOOOOOOPE

12. Rodney - At least he can court the asshole bro vote from Mike and Dan

13. Shirin - No chance

Last note: most dangerous challenge since they almost killed Penner?

Edited by enlightenedbum
  • Love 13

I liked how Jeff called Rodney out tonight, as though he couldn't believe Rodney would be going off on the very people who might vote for him for the winner.  Maybe Rodney's just trying to ensure he gets airtime at the reunion or asked back for Survivor: The All-Star Douchebags season?

• Love 11

Why did they even bother to give the tribes names, when they're going to call them, "Blue Collar, White Collar, and No Collar?"

Now it's "Mostly Blue Collar Tribe" and "Other".

Edited by nottopbravo
  • Love 6

I loved the second episode because I found the self blindedness of Shirrin and Max utterly fascinating. So many facts, so little understanding.

Also, in the first episode, Dan didn't just say women wanted to be listened to with empathy, he said we wanted to be told how right we are.

• Love 5

If one of the characters in "The Nightmare Before Christmas" had been a tropical island witch doctor, it would have looked exactly like this season's immunity idol. And speaking of idols, when Jenn found that hidden one, how on earth did she get it back to camp? I mean, don't get me wrong here. I like Jenn's bikini. But concealing things is not exactly its forte.

• Love 6

I don't enjoy watching such lopsided teams. 

I know they have to do gross stuff out there but I would have had to take myself out of the game after Max put his warty feet in the water pan.  Would never have been able to get past it.

• Love 5

OK, I kinda love Jenn.  I'm glad the new red team lost because there is some serious Survivor play going on.  Agree that both Max and Shirin are annoying.

Wait a minute,"inauthentic kumbaya?"  OMG!.

I love Jenn.  I hope she makes it far.  I want to see an epic girl alliance form between her, Hali, Sierra, Carolyn, and Kelly.  Because those girls have more of their head in the game than the guys do.  The guys are way too over confident and just expect to get it handed to them.  I know that the likelihood of this happening is about zero, but a girl can certainly dream.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 15

Definitely not an equitable split, but I think it'll lead to some interesting dynamics. Carolyn - damn. She's good. You could see Kelly get disappointed when Carolyn flipped. Kelly lost a ranking in her alliance; she sat back too much.

Joe is still my favorite. But I want to know what's going on in Tyler's mind; he hugely intrigues me. It would make me happy to see those guys and Carolyn go far.

• Love 5

Why did they even bother to give the tribes names, when their going to call them, "Blue Collar, White Collar, and No Collar?"

Now it's "Mostly Blue Collar Tribe" and "Other".

I don't even know what their actual names are, so they are basically "the tribes formally known as blue/no collar".  I don't get it, either.  And seriously, by the time Jeff gets through saying " # person voted off of White Collar vs Blue Collar vs No Collar", that person is already pigging out at Ponderosa.

• Love 1

I am in awe at what a supreme dumbass Rodney is. He literally didn't even understand what he was saying about women holding themselves to a "higher standard" ... I'd bet a dollar that after making on a woman at a club all night, pestering her, sending her drinks, trying to evoke sympathy with is wildly inappororite tattoo, etc. that when she inevitably holds herself to a high standard and shoots him down, he'd call her an ugly, fat, whore in the blink of an eye. Just mind blowing that he can't even consider that respect is a two way street. A man who relishes bragging about his 65 year old mutha as a sex object has a lot to learn. What an ass!

Plus Rodney would be the type of guy who would accuse a woman who shot him down in a bar of being a lesbian.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 6

It is interesting to me that the last two seasons, the sexism inherent in a lot of Survivor seasons has been a lot more out in the open, story-wise. I actually think it's a positive sign that more women seem willing to call it out. 

• Love 16

Was Jenn the one who went after Max for knowing every episode? If so, then I am rooting for her. What an insufferable douche he was! It's one thing to be a super fan (I've watched the show since 2000 as well, but I couldn't tell a Fabio from a Sandra), but it's another thing to show your hubris right away. Good riddance! Now Shirin will have to wear her underpants from now on!

So it's the strong, egomaniacal alpha males vs. the slower, weaker, ready for the merge women? Nice going, producers.

As one who once owned a home in Massachusetts, forgive me if I am insulting anyone from there, but isn't Rodney is the epitome of a "Masshole"?

• Love 12

It is interesting to me that the last two seasons, the sexism inherent in a lot of Survivor seasons has been a lot more out in the open, story-wise. I actually think it's a positive sign that more women seem willing to call it out. 

It's why I'm hopeful for an all woman final again!  At least these women, for now, are women I really like.  Much more than the men.  I still love Joe and Will, but the rest can go.  Unlike last season, these women seem to be actually playing the game now and not getting dragged along (so far).

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 8

Anyone else find Shirin's comment about getting a LOT more sleeping space if Will was voted out on the mean-spirited side?  She seemed so whimsical, but that comment about his size seemed mean and uncalled for.  

Yes.  "We have skinny girls(is she counting herself as one?) and then there's Will."  Some of those "skinny girls" were struggling in the immunity challenge, they couldn't pull enough weight.  I don't like her, she is very pompous.

• Love 7

Unlike last season, these women seem to be actually playing the game now and not getting dragged along (so far).

The women were playing last season, too.  Sometimes, it just didn't seem like it because the men were eating up all of the screen time, especially in the early goings.

• Love 4