Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Sweet Melissa

I feel eh about this show and am mostly watching it for Schaal (Bob's Burgers and Flight of the Conchords), but/and I can't get past my feeling of anger at the tired "poor fellow who is trapped in a marriage by a woman" trope. The more I think about it, the angrier I get. And now, lo and behold, there's a "better" option than Phil's wife, so he wants out, again. Ugh.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3

I'll give them credit: I absolutely did not see the haircut and shave coming.  Half the shows on the air now would have spoiled that way ahead.

I saw it based on the commercial where Melissa and Carol were obviously reacting to something Phil did.  I kind of love that it backfired. 

Kristen Schaal did some really good work at the dinner they all had together.  Will Forte is doing an excellent job to making Phil so creepy.  He may be "trapped" in marriage but he's not making himself super attractive either.

I enjoyed Carol and Melissa together. 

• Love 3

Melissa hooked up a refrigerator to a generator right away. So we know it's possible. So far they are making her so functional and generally perfect... I wonder if/when her twist will come. I want to know what she's been eating, since clearly she was not used to the horror of raisin balls with tomato sauce and potato chips.

• Love 2

I saw it based on the commercial where Melissa and Carol were obviously reacting to something Phil did.

The preview commercials I saw looked like Phil had dyed the gray from his beard and possibly trimmed it.  I want the beard back on Phil's character.

I want to know what she's been eating, since clearly she was not used to the horror of raisin balls with tomato sauce and potato chips.

Didn't Carol also say there was mint chutney in that catastrophe of a meal ?

Shouldn't there be canned meat aplenty in grocery stores that's still good -- it's only been two years.  Ham, tuna, spam, whatever ?  There has to be a Costco somewhere nearby.  Or an Army base with a huge stash of MREs. Or a camping supply store with tons of dehydrated stuff.

Anything but raisin balls.

• Love 2

I know Melissa said she was horny, but does anyone remember if she ever mentioned wanting a man? Just wondering if there might be a lesbian twist coming up.

I was also expecting a lesbian twist because Melissa was being so kind and supporive to Carol. That's not how the pretty (and thus evil) girl is supposed to behave in this rivalry trope.

But then she specifically said she wanted a dude, so...

Edited by derriere

I want the beard back on Phil's character.

From a post-apocalyptic standpoint, kinda so do I, but from a "you are in effing Arizona" standpoint, I don't know how he wasn't compelled to do it sooner. It must be so hot.

I also sort of wonder (in a "being far too practical in my head" way) if Phil mightn't now go out to the freeway with his spraypaint and find whatever exit sign for where they've taken up residence and change it from Whateverplace Next Exit to ALIVE Next Exit or some such. Because if you're him, at this point, would'nt you have gone from "sadly there is no one else" to "holy crap they're seeing the signs and making their way here" and be expecting others to show up in not within days or weeks, possibly some time soon?

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

Can we please talk about the fact that her last name is Shart. SHART. I giggled for quite some time. SHART.

I don't mind the man-in-loveless-marriage tropes because he's not shown to be a hero and Schaal isn't shown to be some kind of monster.  I think it's shown as complicated and it seems to be handled delicately, which is the more important thing to me rather than not going there at all.

• Love 4

This episode felt like that scene you see in comedy's where the dad meet's his wife's attractive friend or they hire a hot nanny and he gets obviously, immediately obsessed with her. It's supposed to be "funny" but just comes across as...disgusting.

Are we supposed to find him appealing? He feels like a cipher to me; this weird, gross representation of all men. He finds his new wife "ugly" (poor Kristen Schaal, she's doing great, great work here but I ache for her and Carol) and this new woman the epitome of hot (I think January Jones is one of the worst legitimately successful actresses around but her work here is acceptable), and that's it, he doesn't have much character to him. He's a guy who poops in pools and steals art...ok, what else?

It would have been nice if instead of guilt making him not watch to sleep with Melissa it was actual character growth? Like if he saw that Melissa wouldn't want to sleep with him at all and said "Hey, she doesn't like me that like. She won't like me that. So maybe I'll calm the fuck down."

• Love 1

I know Melissa said she was horny, but does anyone remember if she ever mentioned wanting a man? Just wondering if there might be a lesbian twist coming up

She said she was married before to a man, but he cheated on her. Poor January Jones, always having to put up with an unfaithful husband!

• Love 6

The door thing really bothered me. WTF! There are empty houses all over the neighborhood. If you don't want to move into a new one, just remove the doors and replace them with unbroken ones. That clap-trap repair job was stupid and unfunny.

• Love 5

I didn't find this ep as hilarious as the others, but I still liked it and laughed a few times.

Can we please talk about the fact that her last name is Shart. SHART. I giggled for quite some time. SHART.

Can you explain the joke?

It would have been nice if instead of guilt making him not watch to sleep with Melissa it was actual character growth?

He's not going to change overnight. I do see him progressing. He started out as a completely selfish and lazy man. I would say he's now an often selfish and lazy man. I don't think it was just guilt (from Carol making the door wreath) that made him change his mind about sleeping with Melissa right then. Of course he still wants to, but he didn't want to hurt Carol. It's baby steps.

Carol had some great lines. I lol'd when she said "potato chips for mouth feel." Carol and her raisin balls. There's something inherently funny about 'raisin balls.'

I also liked her line, "I'm not going to hold my breast." 

I want to know what Melissa thinks of her. There were a few times when Carol said something weird that Melissa gave her an assessing look. I thought it would turn out that she was a psychiatrist and believed Carol had mental problems, but she was a realtor, and she said, apparently truthfully, that she didn't think Carol was crazy.

I also love that Carol took drawing lessons from a police sketch artist. You have to draw fast in case the person is a murderer.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 4

Melissa said she was married to a man, but when he cheated on her it was okay because he wasn't really her type anyway. I really thought that was headed for the lesbian twist also. I think it's probably too much for FOX, but you never can stop hoping, right? Then Phil asked her what kind of man was her type and she said "a provider"-- now, that does sound like she wants a man. But if it wasn't FOX and if I was more hopeful, I would say: listen, she may not want to come out to the only two people she knows of who are left alive on earth, after being totally alone for two years, and risk that they might ostracize her. She she just answers the question, and doesn't correct the assumption.That kind of thing happens all the time in real life, under much less extreme conditions, so why not here? .

But, again, I think that is too subtle for FOX.

A door is an easy fix. They have hinges, you know? Pop one out, pop another in. I'm sure there is lots of very nice lumber, and for that matter there are also surely plenty of pre-fab doors, available for the taking. And libraries which can tell you how to do the job, if you really can't figure it out just by looking at it. So I agree, even if the door on that house was a custom size, the extremely shoddy job Phil did was ridiculous. No one is that incompetent. The hack job would have been more effort than doing it right. So i thought they did it not to show incompetence, but to show hostility and resentment.

On the other hand, Carol waiting for her man to fix it struck me as equally stupid. I was hoping Melissa would fix it after seeing Phil's apathetic approach.

But then again, the door is nothing compared to using the pool and the fountain for toilets instead of digging a hole. This is two years on, so that's a lot of excretion and they've had plenty of time to think about options. I'd also imagine the pools have evaporated by now, and the residue has to be horrific with 2 years of waste sediment left behind.

Shudder.

Carol comes across as insane, but mostly because of how invested in Phil she is. I mean, yeah, she's a little uptight, but her desire to be hygienic and organized about things isn't inherently bonkers. I mean, Phil lived literally in a trash heap until she came along. So why is she the crazy one? It's hard to parse, because I do find her crazy, but I feel guilty about it.

Also, her whole speech about diarrhea, and how that's why people get married... it made her look nuts, but at the same time, I kind of like that she's not advancing a romantic fantasy of love, but more the "love is the mundane, real stuff, sickness/health/all of that, intimacy is about not having secrets or hiding behind a facade, and I don't expect you to be perfect." It's not a TV friendly attitude but it is kind of healthy in some way, even though even I think she comes off a bit nuts. It might just be Schaal's baby voice or something, but I think a lot of the time she seems crazy but Phil is really the one who's lost his mind.

Then again, who wouldn't have issues after seeing the entire species perish? People lose their entire family in a fire or an accident, and it breaks them. Losing not only your family, but your SPECIES, and to what I imagine was a fairly gruesome illness... it's a lot to process.

I hope they are not going to turn the show into "odd couple after the apocalypse" or "big love for plague-survivors" but will expand beyond the triangle and its relationships, and show the survivors doing things in the empty world, having adventures, being creative with the lives they have left, etc. They could go on road trips and explore the ruins. They could attempt projects (like finding solar equipment and learning how to install it so they could run a massive light show or something, I don't know. Just DO SOMETHING besides mope and bicker.

The relationship stuff can be done well or poorly, but even if they do it well, I don't want that to be all they do. The setting is too rich to waste on only that.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

I don't even know with this show. First of all, it should be called Alive in Tuscon--that's a much better name, considering the last man on earth is outnumbered by double by the last women on earth. And secondly, it seems only the women are capable of growth or change or empathy.

So Phil is stuck with the less-pretty second-to-last WOE; he mans up and fixes her tomato-watering situation, then can't install a proper door but struts around shirtless in front of the more-pretty STLWOE while it falls apart, AND makes some pretty obvious passes at Melissa in front of his "wife." Carol very patiently insists on repairing the marriage for the long run; Melissa sees how do-the-right-thingy Phil has been, yet Phil is just a dumb manboy who has not progressed since he was, I don't remember, drinking too much and running over things in some vehicle. Manboying it up in general.

i like my manboys Jake Peralta style, thank you.

The show is not funny or touching enough to do any honor to its premise, and I'm disappointed by that. Still watching, because SOMETHING has to happen, right?

Right..?

• Love 1

It would have been nice if instead of guilt making him not watch to sleep with Melissa it was actual character growth? Like if he saw that Melissa wouldn't want to sleep with him at all and said "Hey, she doesn't like me that like. She won't like me that. So maybe I'll calm the fuck down."

I'm pretty sure he's mentally in the space of "I have the only functioning penis on the planet," which I would think would supplant any consideration of "Hey, she doesn't like me like that" with "Hey, I have the only functioning penis on the planet."

As for the rest of his character growth, etc., I think that's the key to the gag: there are x number of women around, the strange one, the awesome hot one, potentially more we don't know about yet... and yet the Last Man On Earth is this doofus.  I honestly don't expect a lot of character growth on this, because it strikes me as a strangely-paced half-hour sitcom and it'll live in "very little ever changes" syndication-viability land.

• Love 1

I'll give them credit: I absolutely did not see the haircut and shave coming.  Half the shows on the air now would have spoiled that way ahead.

I didn't see that coming either! My jaw dropped! He is actually pretty hot. :)

I want the beard back NOW!

Eh, not their best effort, but didn't bother me much either. The door thing was so stupid, especially after he went to the hardware store. You know there's probably a couple Home Depot's in Tucson that probably has a few pre-fab doors just sitting there for the taking.  But since the details aren't really the point, I'm gonna ignore that. Did love Carol's police sketching though.

As to whether Melissa said she wanted a man or not. She said she'd give her left arm (I think that was it) to make out with a man again. I was hoping she'd be into Carol too, but I guess not. Sigh.

There is never, ever canned meat that is , ahem, good.

Just the mention of Spam sent shivers down my spine.

Can you explain the joke?

Well, obviously you were never a 10-year old boy (or retained the humor of same).

Shart is when you think you're going to fart but you shit your pants instead: shit+ fart = shart. AKA, an electric fart; 'cause you "feel the juice". Although the former may have been an in-joke just amongst the hooligans that I used to run with...

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 2
Are we supposed to find him appealing?

I don't think so.  Will Forte (who I actually find appealing) specializes in characters who are decidedly not appealing.  At least when he creates them.  Kristen Schaal said we're supposed to go back and forth about whose side we're on in the Carol/Phil spectrum.  While I do think the first two episodes were tilted towards Phil's side of things, I think the last two have largely favored Carol.

Then Phil asked her what kind of man was her type and she said "a provider"-- now, that does sound like she wants a man.

I too was on the lesbian train but I think she also said "a man's man...a provider."  So no, I don't think that's where they're going.  Honestly, I don't think it's because FOX is too conservative either. I just don't think that was the plan.  Having a lesbian on the show is far less radical than the weird overall premise of the show.

That didn't help.

It's my juvenile sense of humor that makes me think Shart (again, fart + (accidental) shit = shart) as a name is hilarious.  I like to envision a room full of writers arguing if the FOX suits will let them put it on the air, trying to sneak it past the censors.  It's literal toilet humor so there's not much to get.

• Love 1

This triangle might work better if Melissa was hot but super annoying and Carol was normal but plain.  As it stands, the difference is just way out of balance.  However, I'm not sure if it even matters because they've written Phil so creepy that he doesn't deserve either of them.  Maybe they'll encounter an average attractive man along the way and both the women will fall for the new guy... forcing him to make real changes instead of the phony act he's putting on for Melissa's benefit.  The show's story arc has to be about Phil's growth as a human being otherwise I don't think people will want to watch for much longer.  Al Bundy seems like a member of the royal family compared to this guy.

• Love 2

My love for Will Forte and Kristin Schal keeps me watching this show. However I have to beat back all my morbid thoughts about how awful it would be to really be the last people on earth.

Edited by Maire

Considering Family Guy is just one in a looooong line of FOX animations, I don't think censorship was ever a question.

Well, it does sometimes feel that the reins are a little tighter on the live-action stuff than FG, but fair point. :)

My love for Will Forte and Kristin Schal keeps me watching this show. However I have to beat back all my morbid thoughts about how awful it would be to really be the last people on earth.

I almost went there in my last post - now that you've opened the door...

As one of Stephen King's Constant Readers, I can't help but be reminded of The Stand, to which Will Forte owes a tip of the hat. Big time. However (and I know we're really talking apples and oranges, but as long as morbidity is on the table), what happened to the cadavers (to use Robert Durst's term) of all the people who didn't survive whatever pestilence caused these three to be (at least at the moment), the last people on earth? In The Stand the survivors found and had to dispose of all the corpses in the areas where they settled. Phil and Company's world seems to more the after effects of The Rapture - poof, everybody's (every body, see what I did there?) gone.

Okay, it's just a show. I get it. I just don't beat back my morbid thoughts very well.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 3

Eh, not their best effort, but didn't bother me much either. The door thing was so stupid, especially after he went to the hardware store. You know there's probably a couple Home Depot's in Tucson that probably has a few pre-fab doors just sitting there for the taking. 

They covered this in the show.The door is a metaphor for Phil and their "marriage". Phil offered to get her a new door, but Carol doesn't want a new door, she wants Phil to fix the door that he broke. Just like their marriage can't be fixed by replacing Phil(broken door) with a a new man(replacement door) so instead Phil needs to fix himself(fix broken door). Yeah, in real life it would be easier to just replace the door, but it's not like Carol actually needs a functioning door. There's no risk of burglers or anything. So Carol will keep the work-in progress door just like she's keeping the work-in progress man.

I like Melissa. I'm glad they went against sitcoms tropes and didn't have Carol be jealous of Melissa. Carol and Melissa being friends and ganging up on Phil is way funnier.

Edited by Rockstar99435
  • Love 3

You know Carol is starting to grow on me.  Yeah she's crazy and annoying but she really seems to be a good person.  I was really impressed that she didn't seem to be jealous or intimidated by the new woman.  

From the previews, it looks like Phil may still get lucky with the new chick with Carol's blessing.  I mentioned in last week's thread that to give humanity the best shot at survival, they'll need genetic diversity.  That means Phil should be having kids with both women.

• Love 1

The thing is, I don't want to watch a show about pregnancy and child-rearing after the apocalypse. I am really wary of all the "need to repopulate" focus, because I just don't want to watch a show about repopulation.

I doubt we'll see a pregnancy anytime soon.  If it happens, it'll probably be in the season finale.

As one of Stephen King's Constant Readers, I can't help but be reminded of The Stand, to which Will Forte owes a tip of the hat. Big time. However (and I know we're really talking apples and oranges, but as long as morbidity is on the table), what happened to the cadavers (to use Robert Durst's term) of all the people who didn't survive whatever pestilence caused these three to be (at least at the moment), the last people on earth? In The Stand the survivors found and had to dispose of all the corpses in the areas where they settled. Phil and Company's world seems to more the after effects of The Rapture - poof, everybody's (every body, see what I did there?) gone.

As the creators said, the corpses are just off-camera.

As the creators said, the corpses are just off-camera.

Well, not that I'd want to see a comedy about this, but speaking as a guy who once came on a recovery operation of a 10-days-in-the-water body, that wouldn't cut it.  The smell was incandescent at 50 paces with no wind, and that was one guy (and not all of him - crocs got some).

It's my juvenile sense of humor that makes me think Shart (again, fart + (accidental) shit = shart) as a name is hilarious.

I smiled and shook my head, but that was about it.  Sad that one 'funny name' joke provoked more of a reaction from me than Will Forte doing 20 minutes of homina-homina-homina over a pretty girl.  You're better than this, Will, insist on better writing.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1

The thing is, I don't want to watch a show about pregnancy and child-rearing after the apocalypse. I am really wary of all the "need to repopulate" focus, because I just don't want to watch a show about repopulation.

I'm totally game for a show about repopulation, as long as it continues to be funny/entertaining.

I don't know the age of the characters, but both actresses are 37. Unless some younger women start showing up, repopulation might not be an option.

I can't get past my feeling of anger at the tired "poor fellow who is trapped in a marriage by a woman" trope.

For me anyway, that's part of the... satire?    I mean, in a society of three people, you can't really be "trapped" in a marriage.   If he doesn't want to be "married" to Carol, he can just has to say so.  There's literally nothing else to do.   I assume though he cares somewhat about her feelings, since he didn't end it when he went to speak with her.

And while this isn't really a show about repopulation -- to be blunt if they are the only 3 people left (although now that there are 3 survivors, I'm going to assume there are more) they really should have children from multiple partners to make as diverse a gene pool as possible.   Which, "marriage" aside, is a perfectly valid point he could make to Carol, her own desire not to have "bastard" children notwithstanding.

Edited by jcin617

Phil and Carol are only as married as they want to be. Legally, according to the world they know, they are not married. But in their heads, Carol is married, Phil not so much. But time will tell.

I liked the door metaphor and am surprised so many didn't seem to get it and criticized Phil's fix-it skills. It's not about that. Carol doesn't want Phil to fix her door because he's a man, she wants him to fix it because he broke it. And he probably would have done a better job if Melissa hadn't come along (and not everyone has handyman skills, as HGTV has painfully shown us), but now he resents Carol and doesn't care about his obligation to her and her door.

I enjoyed that Phil's attempted makeover was met with "Meh" by the women he was trying to impress. And he also seems typical of the kind of guy who thinks he should have the best looking woman in the room, even though he's not all that. I've seen that so much in real life, although Phil has the advantage of being the only guy in the room (so far, who knows?).

It's interesting to me that there are no animals. That means no meat or eggs or dairy, but also no predators. And no bugs to eat your produce if you had a garden.

As for canned meat, tuna and such would be good, but I've never understood the concept of a canned ham when an actual ham is also ready to eat. And the thought of people willingly eating Spam? {{{shudder}}}

It's interesting to me that there are no animals. That means no meat or eggs or dairy, but also no predators. And no bugs to eat your produce if you had a garden.

And no bugs to pollinate said garden either. Nor no bugs to enrich the soil.

BTW, I got the metaphor about the door--they weren't even being coy about the metaphor, if you didn't get it with the subtext, Carol states it outright anyway--I just didn't think it was the best use of a metaphor considering the circumstances.

...I can't get past my feeling of anger at the tired "poor fellow who is trapped in a marriage by a woman" trope. The more I think about it, the angrier I get. And now, lo and behold, there's a "better" option than Phil's wife, so he wants out, again. Ugh.

Ditto. I kept think while watching how much more interesting it might have been if January had been the first woman he ran into and married, and she turned out to be shrill and annoying. Then he met the "non-hot" Carol, who turned out to be sweet and quirky and perfect for him. Instead, we get the tired TV trope that the "ugly" one is psychotic and the "hot" one is pretty much perfect. 

• Love 4

Ditto. I kept think while watching how much more interesting it might have been if January had been the first woman he ran into and married, and she turned out to be shrill and annoying. Then he met the "non-hot" Carol, who turned out to be sweet and quirky and perfect for him. Instead, we get the tired TV trope that the "ugly" one is psychotic and the "hot" one is pretty much perfect.

As a straight woman, I'd much rather be friends with the very funny Kristen Schaal than the dull-as-dishwater January Jones. Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1
but, it was widely used by Armed Forces in WWII... so, at the time, it made sense.

Now, why Hawaii has a love-affair with it is baffling. :)

My understanding is that these two things are one in the same.  Spam really hit the ground running as war provisions and people still get all nostalgic about it.  Remember that this was at a time of substantial privation in much of the world so meat of any kind was pretty great, to say nothing of super-cheap old army food.  I'd bet anything that Spam's very existence at this point is due to the 'just like mom used to make' nostalgia.  It sure ain't the taste or the truly-alarming mouthfeel.  

As a straight woman, I'd much rather be friends with the very funny Kristen Schaal than the dull-as-dishwater January Jones.

This comedic pairing of stereotypes  ('smart-but-homely' with 'dull-but-pretty') deserves a hallowed spot the Hall O' Tropes, but I'd gladly overlook it if they'd just get some genuine laughs here.  The truly remarkably thing is putting Kristen Schaal and Will Forte in a show with a good budget and getting so few laughs in return for it.

ETA: Totally agree with whomever said they should have named this show 'Alive in Tucson'.  Good name - makes me wonder when they went with the one they did.

Edited by henripootel

I was somewhat disappointed by January Jones here. I think she's an interesting actress and she was funny in a small but important role in Pirate Radio. But in this, rather than creating a reality around her character (which is the only way to play comedy), she kept signaling in her reaction shots that she knew she was in a comedy. Which never works.

"It would have been nice if instead of guilt making him not watch to sleep with Melissa it was actual character growth? Like if he saw that Melissa wouldn't want to sleep with him at all and said "Hey, she doesn't like me that like. She won't like me that. So maybe I'll calm the fuck down."

Yeah, I know...in the real world that's def the way to go.  But I can't get over the fact that...in a post-apocalyptic world and there's 1 man, 2 women and the need to repopulate....polygamy is the only way to go.  I know I'm taking it too seriously, but in fact it should be a topic as it is logical (and it may be).