Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

In the one of them doing a thumbs up and sticking their legs out...did they seriously put a board of notebook or some other similarly shaped object up Nurie's dress so the skirt wouldn't cling and show the shape of her thighs!?

• Useful 2
5 minutes ago, momma2seven said:

In the one of them doing a thumbs up and sticking their legs out...did they seriously put a board of notebook or some other similarly shaped object up Nurie's dress so the skirt wouldn't cling and show the shape of her thighs!?

Bahaha I didn't notice that at first, but I think you're totally right!

• Love 3

Because heaven forbid people know that Nurie has legs!

But is that modest with Nathan around? Did they make him turn around while Nurie shoved things up her skirt?

There are so many things I just don't understand and it seems like why posing with legs out and thumbs up is only the beginning.

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, momma2seven said:

I went back and took another look.  It is weird and it almost looks photoshopped in some way.  The dots on the dress don’t seem to line up right.  It looks like she has a napkin on her lap.

Wouldn’t cropping a photo be easier?  But then they wouldn’t have a picture of their feet sticking out, so I don’t know...

Edited by KeyLime
Clarification
  • LOL 3

I love how in her demented bid for modesty Jill has managed to draw even more attention to her daughter's anatomy. Nobody would have glanced at that picture twice if she hadn't been crazy enough to stick something there. Of course, knowing Jill that's probably exactly what she wanted. . . . 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Zella said:

I love how in her demented bid for modesty Jill has managed to draw even more attention to her daughter's anatomy. Nobody would have glanced at that picture twice if she hadn't been crazy enough to stick something there. Of course, knowing Jill that's probably exactly what she wanted. . . . 

That's one thing she has in common with Michelle. All of the so-called "modesty" rules are really just an excuse for showing off. It's all "Look at me! Look at me!".

• Love 17

I don’t get these people posting their courtship all over the internet what if Nathan breaks it off. Even if Jill removes all the evidence people screen shot stuff and repost on other sites. So Nuries heart would be even more broken if she found them and she’d be seen as used goods in her community. Gosh Jill get a sense of privacy.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Puffin said:

I don’t get these people posting their courtship all over the internet what if Nathan breaks it off. Even if Jill removes all the evidence people screen shot stuff and repost on other sites. So Nuries heart would be even more broken if she found them and she’d be seen as used goods in her community. Gosh Jill get a sense of privacy.

I don't see Nathan breaking this off.  That would mean Nathan and Nurie were dating and not courting I mean a business arrangement between the Kellers and Rods.  

• Love 10
(edited)

Oh, I am sure this Nurie and Nathan pairing is a done deal, with both headships (Jill, I mean David, on the one hand and Pa Keller on the other) having signed off on it. 

So, the headships OK it, then it's announced as a "courtship," and in a New York minute the engagement will be announced, followed a few months later by a wedding.

I absolutely do not believe that at this point either Nathan or Nurie has any power to call it off at this so-called "courtship" stage. No matter what nonsense their parents may babble about it.

I can't imagine Nurie, who's no doubt had every bit of potential independent thought thoroughly stamped out of her by her parents all her life, daring to even doubt that this guy is The One she'll spend her life obeying. Much less admitting to any such doubts. I don't know anything about Nathan, but he's been raised thoroughly IBLP and probably blanket trained, so I think there will be no doubting the wisdom of this plan on his part either.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Oh, I am sure this Nurie and Nathan pairing is a done deal, with both headships (Jill, I mean David, on the one and and Pa Keller on the other) having signed off on it. 

So, the headships OK it, then it's announced as a "courtship," and in a New York minute the engagement will be announced, followed a few months later by a wedding.

I absolutely do not believe that at this point either Nathan or Nurie has any power to call it off at this so-called "courtship" stage. No matter what nonsense their parents may babble about it.

I can't imagine Nurie, who's no doubt had every bit of potential independent thought thoroughly stamped out of her by her parents all her life, daring to even doubt that this guy is The One she'll spend her life obeying. Much less admitting to any such doubts. I don't know anything about Nathan, but he's been raised thoroughly IBLP and probably blanket trained, so I think there will be no doubting the wisdom of this plan on his part either.

It would not surprise me to find out that Jill pushed Nurie as a potential bride to Nathan back in March when they were visiting the Kellers.  I can see her angling to entice Nathan with Nurie (or Kaylee) and then maneuvering Ma and Pa Keller to consider this match.  I do not believe for once second that Nathan was inspired to seek Nurie out as his bride.

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It would not surprise me to find out that Jill pushed Nurie as a potential bride to Nathan back in March when they were visiting the Kellers.  I can see her angling to entice Nathan with Nurie (or Kaylee) and then maneuvering Ma and Pa Keller to consider this match.  I do not believe for once second that Nathan was inspired to seek Nurie out as his bride.

Absolutely.  This isn't a love match, its a business deal.  An arranged marriage in an attempt to benefit both sets of parents.

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Absolutely.  This isn't a love match, its a business deal.  An arranged marriage in an attempt to benefit both sets of parents.

I'm just still trying to figure out how this benefits the Kellers.

• Love 6
Just now, Normades said:

I'm just still trying to figure out how this benefits the Kellers.

Nurie is a good, obedient and the right type of Christian.   The pool of available brides for Nathan is not that large.  I also wonder how the community actually feels about the Rods.  We snark on them, but maybe they are held in higher esteem than what we realize. 

• Love 6
On 7/4/2019 at 8:24 AM, Stacey1014 said:

I don’t remember how old Nathan is, but they both just look so old. They look like they’re closer to 40 instead of closer to 20 (and this is coming from someone who is in their early 40s). 

Nathan has a fairly bad case of cystic acne on his forehead, so Jill has used a filter to make it unnoticeable.  He also has a prominent nose (I’m trying to be kind), but she hasn’t figured out how to reduce the size of that yet.  She’s a real piece of work.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also wonder how the community actually feels about the Rods.  We snark on them, but maybe they are held in higher esteem than what we realize. 

I don't know if it's "esteem," but I think they are probably pretty well accepted in fundie circles as belonging there. They seem to hold the correct beliefs, and very loudly live that kind of fundie lifestyle. They don't hold jobs where they'd have to work with the Wrong Kind of People, don't send their kids to school where they'd be at the mercy of Tools of Satan, do publish tracts about the correct Jesus, etc. Jill certainly parrots the fundie party line on social media. 

Even if individuals in these churches may have their own reservations about Jill's pushy personality, I doubt they'd exclude the family on that account. I can see some people silently counting the silverware after Jill leaves the party, and keeping their hands in their pockets when Jill gets going with the grifting, but that's probably about as far as it goes.

• Love 5

I'm guessing the JRods actually fit right in. The Bates and Duggars are Fundy anomalies. It seems more likely, more Fundy families live lives more similar to the Rods than the Duggars and Bates.

• Love 7
(edited)
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm guessing the JRods actually fit right in. The Bates and Duggars are Fundy anomalies. It seems more likely, more Fundy families live lives more similar to the Rods than the Duggars and Bates.

This has been my experience. Their lifestyle is not glamorous or lucrative, so between all the mouths to feed and the limited flow of income into the house, the results are pretty grotesque. 

I get the impression that, for many fundies, the Rods are like unpleasant relatives you don't relish seeing and who embarrass you, but you still put up with them and don't let anyone else throw them under the bus, even if critics are saying what you think privately. And because they're "family," they probably still seem less weird to you than they do the rest of the world.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, drafan said:

Hate to say it, but they look like Karen Carpenter , circa 1975, sitting at arm's length from Ed Grimley, circa 1982.

OMG.  TOTALLY!!!!!!

Can he please take her to a Macy's or some other store with a makeup counter and have someone get their mitts on her brows?  Once those are handled they can teach her how to not look like a 45 year old daytime hooker.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
(edited)

Someone on reddit (rFundieSnark) created a fake Facebook or instagram account and sent Jill R a comment that looked like it was leghumping, but it was actually mocking her. She said her cousin’s grandma was best friends with the Kellers and included random Capitalized words.  The poster ended it by mentioning her own courtship with Spencer Shay and posted a picture of him with her “faithful and serving” sisters Sam and Carly. The picture was the actor who played Spencer but not the ones who play Sam and Carly on iCarly. Jill apparently fell for it and liked the post. 

Edited by EVS
  • LOL 16
3 hours ago, Puffin said:

probably to make sure that Nathan doesn't break it off . 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, lianau said:

probably to make sure that Nathan doesn't break it off . 

Yeah it's basically the fundie equivalent of proposing in public, so the other party feels pressured to say yes. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Nurie is a good, obedient and the right type of Christian.   The pool of available brides for Nathan is not that large.  I also wonder how the community actually feels about the Rods.  We snark on them, but maybe they are held in higher esteem than what we realize. 

Exactly.  The Kellers have already had a couple of kids stray from the fold, marrying Nathan off to Nurie, a third generation fundie, makes it unlikely he will leave the cult.  They’re not looking for money or fame from a marriage, they’re looking for adherence to their beliefs.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

A comment on Jill’s Facebook post about the courtship:

Do they have a registry? I'd love to send a gift.

One guess who “liked” the comment.

So it begins......

Coulda seen that coming from 100 miles away.... Wonder if Jill will pull a Duggar and have Nurie register for half a dozen sets of dishes and 40 bath towels and 3 sets of pots and pans.  Momma needs new stuff!

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
39 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Coulda seen that coming from 100 miles away.... Wonder if Jill will pull a Duggar and have Nurie register for half a dozen sets of dishes and 40 bath towels and 3 sets of pots and pans.  Momma needs new stuff!

The price for a bride is no longer counted in  camels and donkeys , it's dishes and towels now .

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, sondraK said:

I think Nurie will probably have expensive perfume and the $400 mixer Jill wanted on her registry

Now that she's sold Nurie and the auction has closed, it is going to take a lot more than that to pay the dowry.  I expect Jill will do the registry herself and will undoubtedly announce how her incredible godly daughter traded her new things for Jill's old towels and dishes so that Mamma could have the new stuff.

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, emma675 said:

That is a LOT of mascara. 

And eyeliner. And hair spray. Way to make your teenager look 40, Jill. I just want to reach through the screen and scrub it all off. 

• Love 21
(edited)
On 7/5/2019 at 8:03 PM, ginger90 said:

A comment on Jill’s Facebook post about the courtship:

Do they have a registry? I'd love to send a gift.

One guess who “liked” the comment.

So it begins......

A gift for courting? Seriously? I guess Jill’s grifting really knows no bounds.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Spiders chasing two caterpillars.

She reminds me of Erin Paine,with the high hair and makeup.They look like country music singers,Loretta Lynn style;lots of piled up,hair sprayed hair and makeup

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
1 minute ago, sondraK said:
1 minute ago, sondraK said:

Doesn't Nathan have a brother who's also single? Not the divorced one,but I wonder if Jill will try to get him for Kaylee? I'm sure he's not a farmer,but Jill always gets her way

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Steff said:

The Bates family & married Bates kids all have posted videos & pics over the 4th.  I still find it shocking to compare them to the Duggar and see just how unnatural the Duggars are with each other.  The Bates adults are having fun with each other & the kids.  Everyone is playing, eating, sitting around laughing together, etc.   I'm not leghumping on the Bates, it's more about their "normal" interactions make the Duggars look like they are all strangers.  Everyone is outside, on swings or parent & child playing in a hammock.  Tonight there was a video of all the little bitty kids getting to play with sparklers.  It's what most of us did as kids. 

The Duggars just don't interact like a family.  No one seems close to each other in a natural, fun loving way.  Hell, there's no real fun going on at the Duggar's compound.  There's no little cousins running around squealing & then eventually all crashing out on pallets on the floor.  There's no true childhood laughter.  Not even for the grandkids.  I mean the Bates do the stand around & sing hymns and have the whole Bible time thing, but it's not the only reason they gather together. 

Again, not leghumping, just startling (it shouldn't be, but it was) to see the difference this holiday.

Jim Bob and Meeechelle are nuts. They're totally self-centered deeply fearful mean-spirited control freaks. 

The Bateses -- although I loathe them for supporting Gothard and his crap, both personal and "theological" -- demonstrate that even the sick Gothard cult isn't the main reason the Duggarlings are so stunted. It's the death grip of their messed-up parents. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 18

I’m sorry if I’m repeating what may already be posted here, but Alyssa Bates has to have cardiac ablation done again.  From what I understand, she’ll be having it very soon after some testing this week.  I’m really concerned about her having more children.  She is very thin and just looks generally unwell to me.

I remember the time on 19K & C when the Duggar girls visited the Bates girls & they went to the lake. I think someone was courting,  possibly Erin. There was a segment where Mechelle & Kelly were sitting by themselves talking about the kids getting older & some were leaving the nest.  It was definitely a one sided conversation  as Mechelle was totally checked out & could barely get out a few thoughts.  It may have been a drug stupor but we know she had checked out on her kids years ago & could barely talk about them unlike Kelly. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Now Kaylee is on the market 🙄

I would love to see a hair/makeup makeover done on her.  She could be beautiful.  For all of Jill’s ranting about modesty, I cannot understand how she doesn’t see how immodest their caked-on makeup is.  They look like they work in a brothel!  Doesn’t the Bible speak against looking like that or no?

• Love 13
54 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I would love to see a hair/makeup makeover done on her

They can start with those god-forsaken meth-addict eyebrows that look like sideways parentheses. I'd love to know how long it takes to remove that Tammy-Faye-Bakker level of mascara insanity every night. But she may not even remove it from the looks of it and just reapplies another layer of mascara every day.

57 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

They look like they work in a brothel!  Doesn’t the Bible speak against looking like that or no?

Jill's got all kinds of pretzel logic about make up in that YouTube video.