Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Imagine if one of them does marry? That poor wife has to compete with Jill for attention! She will never be number one for her husband, Jill already is. 

I do think that Timmy moving to Ohio last year has something to do with this,  He seemed to be doing well enough in Wisconsin--working, going to school, becoming a pilot all the things a young man does while building a life of his own.  And then, bam, he's in Ohio with the family.  All the work David did last year to make the barndo a home did not include a place for Tim.  I know there was some speculation either here or on Reddit about Tim maybe meeting a young woman.  I think Jill got jealous and forced him to drop out of school and move back into her control.  Tim living in his own trailer seems like some kind of compromise between Jill and David.  I think David wants Tim to be independent, one less mouth to feed and all that, but Jill can't let go.  Tim just doesn't have it in him yet to disobey Jill.

• Useful 2

Where are all the letters to David thanking him for being a Godly headship?

^^That's how you know Jill is a narcissist. 

I could see the Rods kind of doing the opposite of the Maxwells in a way re: marriage. I could see Jill letting all of the girls get married but not the boys.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Why do people use " You are my sunshine "? Have people never read/ heard the lyrics of the song ? Especially in this case not a song you want to sing to your mom.

Kind of like the Leonard Cohen song "Hallelujah," which I love so much.   My preferred version is by Rufus Wainright.

Just a few lines of its poetry:

"But remember, when I moved in you

And the holy dove was moving too

And every breath, we drew was Hallelujah"

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 7
47 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Kind of like the Leonard Cohen song "Hallelujah," which I love so much.   My preferred version is by Rufus Wainright.

I work for a funeral home and I can't tell you the number of people that choose "Hallelujah" as a song for their loved one's funeral.  When the line about "tied you to the kitchen chair" w/ the whole Samson and Delilah references, I just cringe.

• LOL 13
  • Love 6

I think it's too soon to say whether the boys will ever get married. Tim is 20 almost 21, but that's still very young. Phillip is still 17 until July. The other boys are even younger. 

Fundie boys tend to get married at older ages than their sisters, unless the family has money (Duggars, Bontragers, etc.) or the sisters never marry (Maxwells).  The Bates family is a good example of this. 

Nurie was 21 when she married and there was some speculation that no one get married before the announcement of her courtship. 

Well, if you only sing the first verse of "You are My Sunshine" I don't see anything wrong with that.  My son loved to sing that when he was little and I've always called him my sunshine.  Maybe I'm creepy, too. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, judyjudyjudy said:

I work for a funeral home and I can't tell you the number of people that choose "Hallelujah" as a song for their loved one's funeral.  When the line about "tied you to the kitchen chair" w/ the whole Samson and Delilah references, I just cringe.

What really gets me are the people who think its a Christmas song. No, it is not.  I love the song, though and Jeff Buckley's version is probably my favorite.  The lyrics really are poetic and beautiful; but they are definitely not meant to be celebrating the birth of the Lord.  Amongst other things, Leonard Cohen was Jewish, his grandfather was a rabbi and Cohen was an observant Jew throughout his life.

I don't think Leonard Cohen had anything against Jesus, but he wasn't the guy to write a song celebrating His birth.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, judyjudyjudy said:

Can relate, I worked for a church and did the music and video things for funerals - oh my gosh the things people choose for music is a cross between frightening and hilarious. We once did an entire funeral service on the theme of Wizard of Oz for an 85yr old woman.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Can relate, I worked for a church and did the music and video things for funerals - oh my gosh the things people choose for music is a cross between frightening and hilarious. We once did an entire service with songs from Wizard of Oz for an 85yr old woman.

We played La Bamba for the recessional for my 5 year old nephew's funeral.  His favorite song.  All the other songs were hymns, though.  La Bamba was also the recessional when my sister, his mother, died about 25 years later.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Can relate, I worked for a church and did the music and video things for funerals - oh my gosh the things people choose for music is a cross between frightening and hilarious. We once did an entire service with songs from Wizard of Oz for an 85yr old woman.

Complete with "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead?"

• LOL 21
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Complete with "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead?"

i think that came later in the family only thing. But Off to See the Wizard was one. Over the Rainbow. I did get a $100 tip for work on that one for securing copyright permissions and matching rainbow slides to the presentation. The music director and I had an agreement to not make eye contact through the entire service for fear we would start laughing and be unable to stop.

Edited by crazy8s
  • LOL 15
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, CouchTater said:

Or using Every Breath You Take (The Police) or One (U2) as a wedding song. Yikes!

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Phillip writes a love note to momma - he will be 18 this summer. this is apparently from Jill's birthday in November. posted on her fb yesterday

Screenshot (13).png

Phillip? As an "any other mother" screw you for thinking my birthday was lukewarm, or any less important than your batshit crazy Momma's.

• Love 19

At my father's funeral the soloist sang Try to Remember.  It was his favorite song and it reminded me of the musicals he took me to see.  My favorite was Hello Dolly starring Pearl Bailey.  After the show she took her shoes off and sat on the edge of the stage and talked to the audience for quite a while.  It was magic!

The Rods will never get to see any of the great musicals like Hello Dolly, Fiddler on the Roof or Fantastiks~

Edited by riverblue22
don't know where all that white space came from!
  • Love 9

also from Jill Rod today

David Jill Noyes Rodrigues

What a JOY it was to meet up with these Christian Ladies to fellowship and enjoy talking about a LOT of things... including Plexus! I am blessed! Love you, Ambuer and Dena Hershberger Schrock! Jill

for all Jill's love of "old fashioned" people or whatever she calls the Amish - Dena Hershberger Schrock! has a book about escaping the Amish life called "Behind Closed Doors" https://www.facebook.com/dena.schrock

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Normades said:

Well, if you only sing the first verse of "You are My Sunshine" I don't see anything wrong with that.  My son loved to sing that when he was little and I've always called him my sunshine.  Maybe I'm creepy, too. 

Well I have to admit I may be misinterpreting the lyrics.  To me it sounds like a man who has lost his lover to another man. I do apologize I did not mean to call you creepy. I am sorry. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

At my father's funeral the soloist sang Try to Remember.  It was his favorite song and it reminded me of the musicals he took me to see.  My favorite was Hello Dolly starring Pearl Bailey.  After the show she took her shoes off and sat on the edge of the stage and talked to the audience for quite a while.  It was magic!

The Rods will never get to see any of the great musicals like Hello Dolly, Fiddler on the Roof or Fantastiks~

I love Fiddler on the Roof! I also love Godspell, of course they wouldn't see that either despite the subject matter. 

25 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Well I have to admit I may be misinterpreting the lyrics.  To me it sounds like a man who has lost his lover to another man. I do apologize I did not mean to call you creepy. I am sorry. 

Once a month at the nursing home my mom was in, a local Buddhist Temple would come out and do shows for the dementia residents. They would have children with them who played violin, which the residents loved. One of the things they would do is have a sing along to You are my Sunshine and pass around the mike. Even if the person just mumbled, they had there turn. For me that song always reminds me of my dad sitting next to my mom while they sang that song and he would be in tears because she was "gone" from him. They both have since passed and I can't hear that song anymore without crying. 

• Love 9

Count me in as one who never knew the end of You Are My Sunshine. Even with the first refrain being a little negative, it was sung to me by my mom and I sang it to my children.

Its still a little better than Rock-a-bye Baby and many other nursery rhymes and lullabies.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Count me in as one who never knew the end of You Are My Sunshine. Even with the first refrain being a little negative, it was sung to me by my mom and I sang it to my children.

Its still a little better than Rock-a-bye Baby and many other nursery rhymes and lullabies.

Looking over all the lyrics, the Buddhist group didn't sing the darker, sad parts. 

For example  

The other night dear, as I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
"But when I awoke, dear, I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried. "---
nope, they repeat... you'll never know dear.... 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

3 minutes ago, sondraK said:

And what exactly would a comtemporary bday for a mom be anyway?

2 hours ago, Turquoise said:

Phillip? As an "any other mother" screw you for thinking my birthday was lukewarm, or any less important than your batshit crazy Momma's.

I second that!

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 9

I, um, sing the chorus of "You Are My Sunshine" to my Chihuahua sometimes. He doesn't seemed amused by it, which maybe eggs me on more. 🙂  I know the rest of the song (primarily because of being obsessed with the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack back in the day), but I can see why people ignore the rest of the lyrics. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, CouchTater said:

My very Catholic university insisted that any song that was included in a student memorial service had to be approved by the mother superior first. Rumour had it that it was because of too many students who heard "Hallelujah" and assumed it was a good song for a semi-religious service. 

Back to Philly... Well, a boy's best friend is his mother. Hopefully this forum will be able to keep track of him in case he goes into the motel business. 

And to our favourite Jilly, my understanding is that big birthdays for adults is a mostly contemporary phenomenon. The old-fashioned ladies you claim to revere were supposed to be modest and self-effacing (and too busy feeding their children). 

Seriously, if you're looking for a freaky thought experiment, try to put together all the weirdness Jill and kidlets have spewed about "contemporary" people and imagine what they think our lives are like. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • LOL 17
  • Love 1

I'm beginning to think Jill is trying to relive her childhood.  Wasn't she the middle sister? She probably had to fight for attention all her life. Now she has 13 willing people to shower her with all the love and attention she desires demands.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Phillip writes a love note to momma - he will be 18 this summer. this is apparently from Jill's birthday in November. posted on her fb yesterday

Screenshot (13).png

I find it funny that Philip put “ Children,Daddy,God” in that order! Heathens 😜

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

A "contemporary" celebration is exactly what JillR wants. I imagine Jill sees a contemporary birthday as one in a hall or restaurant, with tons of folks and tons of gifts. Unfortunately Jill must have emphasized the mainstreamness of it all too much and Phillip didn't take the hint correctly. 

Am I the only who took the "good son kind of love" as in, I love you like a son should love a mom, not like a dad should? Like Phillip (at 17!) just grew out of the stage of wanting to marry his mommy?

For a few years my son used to say, when he grew up he was going to marry me and we'd move to the house next door and bring the Nintendo with us. Like from ages 4 - 6. By 7 or 8 I think he figured out sons don't marry moms.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, beckie said:

I'm beginning to think Jill is trying to relive her childhood.  Wasn't she the middle sister? She probably had to fight for attention all her life. Now she has 13 willing people to shower her with all the love and attention she desires demands.

Not only is she the middle sister, she was replaced as the baby of the family by identical twin sisters. 

As a mother of identical twins, I can tell you that they attract a lot of attention, even when you are doing your very best not to attract attention.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
26 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

So, Jesus wants the Rods to serve Him in Florida in February. What a comforting Lord and Saviour to have, instead of one who'd lead them to preach the Word in some frigid stretch of say, North Dakota, this time of year. 

I'm sure they're going to be dropping in on Nathan and Nurie and mooching off of them for a couple weeks if not more.  After all, it's been about a month since she was home; plenty of time for Nathan to save enough to take them all out to dinner a couple times.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

The Rod bus is already in Florida.  The Rods were in last Sunday's church service at the Keller family church.

Of course. They not only manage to "tour" the South in the winter, they now have established an outpost in Florida by marrying Nurie to Josh DUGGAR's brother-in-law. I wonder what Pa Keller secretly thinks when he sees the Grift Bus pulling onto his property. Maybe he's just rejoicing in the fellowship of his fellow believers. Or, he's already made sure his wallet is chained to his pocket. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Nysha said:

So do the churches that book the Rods actually like their singing? Is David that good of a preacher? Do they get repeat requests? Just what is their draw? The fact that they have a litter of children who look ill and the little girls dress in clothes Goodwill would reject? I just don't understand why anyone would want these people to sing for them.

Well, seeing the Rods certainly makes most people feel better about their own lives. I'm sure no one would admit that. 

Technically, the churches are probably part of the missionary organization that funds them, so the Rods show up as part of their contract. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
Just now, emma675 said:

I wonder if Ma and Pa Keller are going to have to put some boundaries up? If not, they better get used to the Rod's crappy RV pulling into their driveway multiple times a year. 

I wonder about that too. I suppose there's a boundary line even in such godly fundie circles, between "generously fellowshipping with [and feeding] our brothers and sisters in Christ" and repeatedly accommodating a hungry horde who show up, eat everything they can find in your house, and even post SM photos of both your families dining out together (with guess who picking up the check). It wouldn't surprise me if the Rods wear out their welcome one of these days. 

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I wonder if Ma and Pa Keller are going to have to put some boundaries up? If not, they better get used to the Rod's crappy RV pulling into their driveway multiple times a year. 

The Rods bother us more than they bother other fundies.  Their circle is so small, they are able to overlook the faults of other families because they are like-minded.  It might be different if the Rods lived closer.  If the Kellers really had a problem with Jill, they never would have allowed Nathan to marry Nurie.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
On 2/3/2021 at 9:49 AM, crazy8s said:

Screenshot (13).png

OMG...I just got the biggest flashback........elementary school a thousand years ago.....take out your pencils...it's time for DICTATION !!

Pass back a fresh sheet of paper.

Remember your margins.

No erasures or crossing out.

Use your best handwriting.

This will include your new spelling words, so be careful.

Yikes!

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

Translation: "Look at this dumbass right here, foolishly putting an entire family's lives in danger by deliberately driving through a snowstorm in a run down RV to 'meetings' that could have been rescheduled.

But given the last Rod family blog post, these things couldn't possibly be rescheduled because the Rod family has been praying on a living space addition for the barndo and need $$$ Even though they claim is the print shop is busier than ever. Nurie has been married off and Timothy has a job and lives in his own camper. Tim's godly gutter cleaning seems to maybe employ some of the other siblings. "they did a good job" and one review was for "house cleaning services" - that would be wimen"s work to the rods. But still the need $$$ for the living room (for family) so off on the road to florida they go

Edited by crazy8s
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

But given the last Rod family blog post, these things couldn't possibly be rescheduled because the Rod family has been praying on a living space addition for the barndo and need $$$ Even though they claim is the print shop is busier than ever. Nurie has been married off and Timothy has a job and lives in his own camper. Tim's godly gutter cleaning seems to maybe employ some of the other siblings. "they did a good job" and one review was for "house cleaning services" - that would be wimen"s work to the rods. But still the need $$$ for the living room (for family) so off on the road to florida they go

I wouldn't trust ANY review from Tim's business.  If they are good, they are probably edited in some way by Timbits or mommy as the last several reviews were critical,  but Tim acted like they'd killed his dog with them.

• Love 5

Does Tim still have his job at the care center? That's the year-round job with the steady salary, health and dental insurance, retirement plan, paid vacations, promotions, etc. It's also the site of Tim's podcasts. Things seemed to be going well until Jill interfered.

Jill's social media have gone silent on the subject, and that's usually a very bad sign for poor Tim.

Roxie, Tim's Blue "Healer" puppy and "best friend," needs to be kept in kibble and vet visits, and it's not clear that the holy gutter cleaning business alone is up to the task of supporting Roxie, Tim, and various siblings. 

4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Suze threw Nurthan a shower for the people from FL who didn't attend the wedding. Of course, Jill refers to her as Susanna KELLER Bridges. 🙄

Jill tagged Suze in the post.  Suze uses her full name on Facebook so it shows all of it.  

I did take a look at all of the pictures,  and Suzes daughter was not impressed.  She looks to be the only female in attendance who wore pants. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4