Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Absolom said:

I don't think Timothy even finished two full years of college.  He seemed to only do the fall semester of the missionary pilot training in Washington and then he was home before spring break and before the second school went remote.  I think both schools were far too much for him with the lack of education he's been dealt by his parents.  

Oh, I agree, I was being generous.  I suspect Tim was unable to pass many of his college-level courses; so the actual number of credits he's earned is very likely well short of two year's worth.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

In RE: the EMR thing. What I fail to understand is, why do these people do the lesser profession/training/degree?  Why not go all the way and become an EMT?  Or an RN?  It’s like they have no desire to do anything all the way.  It reminds me of someone lobbing a wet dishrag towards home plate.  

I can think of ONE thing they like to do all the way. . . only it doesn't require any study. I'll see myself out.

Edited by LilJen
  • LOL 10
54 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

I demand to see Lawson's ACT score. And that of those Duggars participating. Surely their reading is subpar.

average ACT reading score in TN last year was 20.5 - so the 19.5 requirement is lower than average. Lawson is one of the oldest Bates kids,  Kelly was maybe still trying to teach something when he was doing the early years of home fooling. Josie and Katie on down surely learned not much of anything. I wonder if Tori and Carlin even learned much of anything

• Love 3

Kelly Jo's mom and step dad ended up in the hospital because of COVID, her step dad died. Still they continue to act like it's not a big deal. Not a mention of it from her kids.

Maybe someone can post the link because the Bates blocked me.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, riverblue22 said:

I just watched a few minutes of Timmy Rods youtube preaching.  He was a cross between my gay-not-gay BIL and Priscilla Waller. Sad.

I hope the not-Nuries at least can break out of that place~

I’m putting a video (podcast number 2) here. In the beginning of it, Timothy says, “I am so far from perfect it’s not even funny. And my family can attest to that.”. Oh my.

• Useful 3

It seems that Kelly Jo edited her post about her mother to include a disclaimer that the couple got COVID-19 “ even though they only went to doctors appointments and had been careful not to see people”. Wonder if there were some nasty remarks that got deleted. 🤔

Also find it telling that she refers to him as her mother’s husband and not her step-father.

• Useful 5
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

It seems that Kelly Jo edited her post about her mother to include a disclaimer that the couple got COVID-19 “ even though they only went to doctors appointments and had been careful not to see people”. Wonder if there were some nasty remarks that got deleted. 🤔

Also find it telling that she refers to him as her mother’s husband and not her step-father.

We've talked about this with Derick, but I think it's fine to use parent's spouse versus step-parent. Step-parent usually implies someone who raised you and is a parent in your life. It's common for people whose parents remarried as adults to refer to them as their parent's spouse. One of my friends wrote a beautiful tribute to her father's wife, but he had remarried after she was out of the house. 

That being said I hope his wife's grandchildren didn't give him COVID.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I think it depends on what happened to her father and how old she was when her mother remarried.  If her father was still living, even if Kelly was still a little kid; I could see her not wanting to call her mother's husband her step-father because she had a father.  And, as mentioned above, I know a lot of adults whose parents have remarried and I cannot think of any who refer to their parent's spouse as a step-parent.  Except maybe in a joking way.

Lawson is 28, the age when most people who would have already have years of experience as a paramedic/EMT and not be taking preliminary courses aimed at teens.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think it depends on what happened to her father and how old she was when her mother remarried.  If her father was still living, even if Kelly was still a little kid; I could see her not wanting to call her mother's husband her step-father because she had a father.  And, as mentioned above, I know a lot of adults whose parents have remarried and I cannot think of any who refer to their parent's spouse as a step-parent.  Except maybe in a joking way.

Lawson is 28, the age when most people who would have already have years of experience as a paramedic/EMT and not be taking preliminary courses aimed at teens.

Kelly said that their 4th anniversary would have been later this year. I believe this was her 3rd husband. Kelly's parents divorced when she was pretty young, about middle school age, IIRC.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

Tim is painfully dim aka easy for MAMA to manipulate 

Its painful to watch him trying to connect his thought about Jeysoos. 

Based on his voice I would think he was female/homosexual. Maybe he is but he isn’t allowed to admit it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

Tim is painfully dim aka easy for MAMA to manipulate 

Its painful to watch him trying to connect his thought about Jeysoos. 

Based on his voice I would think he was female/homosexual. Maybe he is but he isn’t allowed to admit it. 

It also makes me think about that video of him singing that came out a few months ago (random shots of him outside). His singing voice seems a lot deeper than his speaking voice.

ETA: Who was that screaming at about 7:00? 

Edited by madpsych78

We've had the step parent/parent's spouse discussion a while back. I don't think there's a rule or a proper term.

Like I had mentioned, my FIL married his second wife when my husband was in his 30s. They lived in a different state than we did, so we were not exceptionally close to his father's wife. IMO, it would have been strange and disingenuous to call her a step mom. Our kids however, called her grandma because they were young when they married, and to be honest, it was just easier.

Kelly mentioned her mom had not even been married for four years. IMO, the man her mother married was never her parent.

The pictures below were posted in early December. It seems Kelly's mom was not all that careful.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIj98lNHi1C/

• Love 8

Tori Roloff is gushing about Carlin, as well as the sisters' online clothing store. And then we have Jing and Jer, as well as Jill, pushing Jeremy's and Audrey's book.

I wonder if any of the Bates, Roloffs, or Gabby and Cade, will promote the Vuolo book, once its released.

• Love 4

I have never met a person who calls a step-parent their parent's spouse.  It sounds linguistically weird to me.  Then again, my mother refers to her step mother as "mama" (most people would probably say mom there, we country people) and my grandparents got married when I was almost 3 years old.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Tori Roloff is gushing about Carlin, as well as the sisters' online clothing store. And then we have Jing and Jer, as well as Jill, pushing Jeremy's and Audrey's book.

I wonder if any of the Bates, Roloffs, or Gabby and Cade, will promote the Vuolo book, once its released.

Oh, I'm sure they will. From the looks of the promotion for the other Worthy book about a couple, the company does a very good job assembling a lot of promotion. A lot. I doubt they'll overlook any potential promoters who have significant followings of any kind. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

funny thought about the step-parent thing.....when i was married with older children, my dad married a girl i grew up as close friends with.  i never called her step-mom except in jest as she is younger than i am. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I'm not sure there is any hard and fast rule that can be applied or insight that can be gleaned from what term is used without more knowledge about the specific situation. 

Even when I was 8, I called my mother's 4th husband "my mom's husband." I wasn't calling that motherfucker my stepdad. But I know people who apply that term to a parent's spouse who are on good terms with the person. 

I get the impression in this situation the relationship is likely strained or minimal, but I think the term she uses to refer to him isn't very indicative of that on its own. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9

Tim's podcasting skills come from imitating Best Momma. That's why he comes across as cloying and a little creepy. The lisp doesn't help either. 

David is a somewhat better public speaker, so Tim followed the wrong model, not that he had much choice. If he had gone to public school he might have received some speech therapy as well. 

Tim is recording at work, and someone came in the room right before the screech/scream. Tim ignored it, so it must have been a usual occurrence. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
22 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm not sure there is any hard and fast rule that can be applied or insight that can be gleaned from what term is used without more knowledge about the specific situation. 

Even when I was 8, I called my mother's 4th husband "my mom's husband." I wasn't calling that motherfucker my stepdad. But I know people who apply that term to a parent's spouse who are on good terms with the person. 

I get the impression in this situation the relationship is likely strained or minimal, but I think the term she uses to refer to him isn't very indicative of that on its own. 

Probably.  Though I would like to point out that every example presented here for the "mom's husband" thing is very negative and/or distant.  And that's perfectly OK.  I think the language just puts a step (heh) of separation in the relationship.  And I can't imagine that Kelly Bates was super close to her mom's most recent husband.

I think I shall forever more refer to my mother's second husband that way, because I think that extra separation in the terminology sounds nice.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Probably.  Though I would like to point out that every example presented here for the "mom's husband" thing is very negative and/or distant.  And that's perfectly OK.  I think the language just puts a step (heh) of separation in the relationship.  And I can't imagine that Kelly Bates was super close to her mom's most recent husband.

I think I shall forever more refer to my mother's second husband that way, because I think that extra separation in the terminology sounds nice.

My point is simply that distant doesn't automatically mean negative or strained or uncivil. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 16

I seem to have opened up a bit of a can of worms about naming a parent's spouse.  In hindsight, I can see where a woman in her 50's might not gravitate to the term "step dad".  But the tone of her post- not a word about what a great guy Tom was- led me to think that she is not overly grief stricken.

So much for Kelly's hastily added "disclaimer"- does she not think that people look at older posts?  There were a few comments yesterday calling out the whole family for their cavalier attitude during this whole pandemic, and surprisingly they have not been removed.

On the subject of the Bates family, Alyssa has a post in her stories about brunch- the table is nicely set with flowers, but they are using disposable plates! It's just her and John and the girls.  What is it about fundies and their love for styrofoam plates?  Alyssa has a dishwasher- I just don't get it.

• Love 18
35 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

On the subject of the Bates family, Alyssa has a post in her stories about brunch- the table is nicely set with flowers, but they are using disposable plates! It's just her and John and the girls.  What is it about fundies and their love for styrofoam plates?  Alyssa has a dishwasher- I just don't get it.

I expect it has a lot to do with repeating what they've seen.  Growing up we only used paper plates away from home or having a party in the backyard so I've never put a paper plate on a dining table in my own house.  My daughters are the same way.  My one daughter's MIL though uses "fancy" paper plates for all holidays.  They are always very heavy duty and decorated or color themed for the holiday.  She has large holiday gatherings and would have to run the dishwasher about four times to get through all the dishes.  Plus she doesn't want four dozen place settings in her house and prefers to be able to theme the place settings to the holidays.  All her SILs do the same.  So if Kelly used a lot of paper plates, Alyssa probably wouldn't think twice.  Kelly's mom may have done the same.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
33 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

So much for Kelly's hastily added "disclaimer"- does she not think that people look at older posts?  There were a few comments yesterday calling out the whole family for their cavalier attitude during this whole pandemic, and surprisingly they have not been removed.

Our memories are longer than theirs. I don't believe the Bateses have been isolating. They almost flaunt their disregard for public safety. 

Tim Rod's podcast touches on Covid. He hints that Christians don't fear the virus while the rest of us hide in terror. He also talks about Covid and our "precious freedoms." I take that to mean the god-given right to hold super-spreader gatherings. When Tim keeps saying he's far from perfect, I agree, except that he doesn't mean it and I do. He's a champion humble bragger like his mother. 

• Love 21
46 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I am guessing Tim works in a group home or a nursing home. Just my 2 cents.

It's some kind of industrial cleaning company. There's a picture of Tim wearing the company t-shirt, and someone posted a link, but I can't find either.

Tim must work outdoors to be dressed so heavily. In the first podcast, he said he was filming at work, and this one has the same background so I guess he's still employed. I hope he's off the clock while rambling on with his clumsy sermons and bad singing. 

The scream was short. It sounded like a cat that got its tail stepped on. It might have been a co-worker reacting to seeing Tim recording himself. Nevertheless, Tim was unfazed. He had a lot of wisdom left to share, so he soldiered on. 

• LOL 16
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

It's some kind of industrial cleaning company. There's a picture of Tim wearing the company t-shirt, and someone posted a link, but I can't find either.

Tim must work outdoors to be dressed so heavily. In the first podcast, he said he was filming at work, and this one has the same background so I guess he's still employed. I hope he's off the clock while rambling on with his clumsy sermons and bad singing. 

The scream was short. It sounded like a cat that got its tail stepped on. It might have been a co-worker reacting to seeing Tim recording himself. Nevertheless, Tim was unfazed. He had a lot of wisdom left to share, so he soldiered on. 

I posted a link to the cleaning company t shirt Timbits had in the Christmas pic where he was holding shoes and a hobby lobby plaque. Someone with a better memory than I, remembered Timbits had worked for that cleaning company when he was at godly pilot school in WA. So who knows.

but Timmy is obviously working somewhere besides the "being self sufficient" godly gutter cleaning business

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Jill and the various Rods go out to eat more often than my husband and I do )even pre-pandemic) and we both have full time jobs that pay pretty well. I really don’t understand their priorities.

Usually someone else is paying for them.

My guess. If they pay its only for their dinner dates for 2.

• Love 6

can someone enhance the reflection in the window in that pic - the server taking the pic is clear. but it appears possibly a group of the rod kids are in the reflection as well. there are 5 glasses on the "date night" table

to add - they also seem to be paying with a gift card or credit card.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 2

I see the server's reflection but I don't see anyone else. Looks like a credit card. Looks like water glasses on the table and then the one with a  dark liquid is probably tea or soda. That is unless they are having a cocktail. What am I talking about?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I seem to have opened up a bit of a can of worms about naming a parent's spouse.  In hindsight, I can see where a woman in her 50's might not gravitate to the term "step dad".  But the tone of her post- not a word about what a great guy Tom was- led me to think that she is not overly grief stricken

I don't expect Kelly to wax poetic over Tom if they weren't close, but the way he's casually mentioned and tossed aside is so weird. You'd think Tom was a goldfish who died in his bowl rather than her mother's husband. 

With regards to any of these idiots taking covid seriously, it'll never happen. Kelly's mother looks frail and sickly and they've still got a germy, maskless kid plastered in her face. 

• Love 18

The Gruesome Grifters are BACK! Jill's social media boycott wasn't long enough to teach anybody a lesson. She ought to try again. 

If they paid by themselves, the date night was a soda each and a shared dessert. The tip was a leftover bible tract. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I don't expect Kelly to wax poetic over Tom if they weren't close, but the way he's casually mentioned and tossed aside is so weird. You'd think Tom was a goldfish who died in his bowl rather than her mother's husband. 

Yes!  She may as well have said " Oh well, Tom died.  Mom misses him but life goes on." 

I just can't deal with these people.

• Love 16

the Rods must be traveling - Jill's last two "minutes with Jill" were filmed in a car. and in the fb post today of David and his great "cutting edge" tract cutting, the small girls in the background are wearing the same outfits as posted last week, where whichever sad girl liked to work on the tracts to get candy

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 3