Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

So what is the core curriculum for someone attending RFHS?  Grifting 101?  Intro to interpreting Bible passages for your own benefit?   English 101 (focus on proper use of the words “sluttish” and “severe”)?  I would really like to know how actually educated the alumni of RFHS are. And if they have any real skills that will help them when mama and daddy grifter go “home” or can’t grift anymore?  Because I don’t see any of them convincing some poor sucker to marry into that train wreck of a family and financially support the Rodlets. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

And if they have any real skills that will help them when mama and daddy grifter go “home” or can’t grift anymore? 

No. Because Mama and Daddy are so obsessed with themselves plus they're such dyed-in-the-wool-24/7-grifters that they never give a single thought to the idea that the kids might need -- or want! -- to actually earn some kind of ordinary living outside Mama's surveillance state.

These people are like those ancient monarchs you read about whose retinues got offed and stuck in the rulers' tombs after death. The Rodriguez kids are just extensions of Jill and David. I don't believe J and D think any further than that. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Alyssa and John went to Carlin's wedding without their kids. 

8226350c-c57f-4629-b21a-5a714654fe52.thumb.jpg.8f14022d2bd41fafe18295a08cbb702a.jpg

Maybe because it's their anniversary weekend. It is kind of strange her girls weren't part of the wedding. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

8226350c-c57f-4629-b21a-5a714654fe52.thumb.jpg.8f14022d2bd41fafe18295a08cbb702a.jpg

Maybe because it's their anniversary weekend. It is kind of strange her girls weren't part of the wedding. 

Maybe. Or maybe the girls don’t have the temperament to be flower girls so young and the parents wanted to enjoy the wedding without them. Is Carlin having any kids in her wedding for certain?

• Love 2
On 5/16/2019 at 11:17 AM, Churchhoney said:

Good old snarky rationalwiki carries what seems to be a pretty complete account of Anderson's life including a list of places he's been denied entrance to....It's actually most places he's tried to go, I think. It appears the UK wouldn't even let him land at one of their airports to catch a connecting flight. The whole account i's one of those amusing-but-crap-this-is-horrifying-and-depressing reads. 

"Bans[edit]

In September 2016, after Anderson had announced his intention to travel to South Africa, Malusi Gigaba, the Minister of Home Affairs banned Anderson and his followers, citing the Constitution of South Africa and stating "I have identified Steven Anderson as an undesirable person to travel to South Africa".[33] That's ok, he's undesirable here too.

Anderson was also banned from entering the United Kingdom[34][35] leading him to change his travel route to Botswana by flying via Ethiopia.[36] On 20 September 2016, Anderson was banned and deported from Botswana.[37][38]

In a YouTube video, Anderson mentioned a planned trip to Malawi in order to set up a church there. Malawian authorities subsequently made it known that he would not be welcome in the country and that he would also be banned from entering it in the future.[39][40]

Anderson has also mentioned that he was recently banned from entering Canada, thus making it the fourth country he's been banned from.[41]

On January 29, 2018, Steven Anderson announced on his YouTube channel that he was banned from "even stepping foot" in the country of Jamaica. He had been planning a mission trip there and was scheduled to arrive on the island that week[42].

YouTuber Ben the Baptist, part of Anderson's IFB YouTube network, was banned from YouTube a second time for at least two weeks starting in mid-June for hate speech, particularly for celebrating the Parkland High School Shooting and Stephen Hawking's death.

The Netherlands refuses admission. This effectively blocks him from Europe (the 'Shengen' area) totally.[43]

He is the first person to have been banned from the Republic of Ireland by an exclusion order.[44]"

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Steven_Anderson

Wow, I feel terribly sorry for that idiot's offspring, who had no choice in their parents... thankfully Anderson is a common enough name that maybe they can disclaim all association with him once they are grown!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Soooooo, I was just browsing Pickles, and the SOS guy has been accused of sexual abuse:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2076898622408936&id=269181913180625&anchor_composer=false

Based on the victim's comments, it sounds like this guy was the Josh Duggar of his family. And he has access to orphans. Let that sink in for a moment.

I'm not surprised. Schadt always came off as a superior asshat. I hope someone grills Derelict about this. Yes, it will get you banned, but the post will be seen by many before he gets around to seeing/deleting it. eta: Posting on a Sunday when he's occupied with church would get the most eyeballs on it.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6
(edited)

Wonder if ATI/Embassy Media/Gothardom generally will try to shake the dust of Mike Schadt off their feet or whether they'll stonewall. He's been a pretty longtime affiliate of theirs, I think. 

Here's the little Embassy Media paean to him, where he appears as an honored expert alongside the Bates and the Duggars, etc-- https://embassymedia.com/speaker/mike-schadt

"Challenging us to be bold in our faith, Mike Schadt, the President of S.O.S. Ministries, will share with us his continued experiences of God’s grace as he ministers in the third world countries hostile to evangelical Christianity. The acronym SOS amplifies their purpose: Seekers Of Souls. Mike Schadt and his team are standing on the front lines, firm in their faith, sharing the love of Christ and watching God’s faithfulness to draw the lost to Himself."

I also love (not) the aggrieved nastiness of "third world countries hostile to evangelical Christianity." 

Because, in the minds of this crowd, a country would never be seen as committed to supporting and celebrating its own longstanding religious tradition(s). No, they are seen as "hostile' to me me me....

Guess he seeks something other than Souls, too. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

So we have Bill Gothard (1) who faced sexual misconduct allegations from as many as 34 women. And that's just the ones who realized it's not my fault for defrauding him. 

Josh Duggar (2)

JB's state trooper friend (3) who was consulted about what to do about Josh. 

Tabitha Paine's husband (4) 

Caleb Williams (5) and his brother (6), who are both facing sexual assault charges. 

and now Mike Schadt (7) who performed the wedding ceremony for Ben and Jessa. 

I mean granted I have no idea how many people I know who have issues with sex abuse, but it seems like a lot to me. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, queenanne said:

I didn't name Toby Willis, because I don't know of any direct connection between Willis and the Duggars. (Beyond TLC). The people I listed are all friends and acquaintances of the Duggar family personally with the possible exception of Caleb Williams' brother. It's clear the Duggars know Caleb and so they probably do know the brother. 

• Love 3
(edited)
16 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

The guy that married Jessa and Bin?

Yes, that's the one, Mike Schadt is his name. According to Reddit, the victim left a comment on YouTube several years ago as well, making an allegation shortly after Joshgate came out, but it was quickly deleted. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

From the Instagram stories, this wedding is looking really beautiful.  There’s also a video of the bride and groom practicing their first dance.

Gonna not comment on them also practicing a High School Musical style duet to each other.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Temperance said:

So we have Bill Gothard (1) who faced sexual misconduct allegations from as many as 34 women. And that's just the ones who realized it's not my fault for defrauding him. 

Josh Duggar (2)

JB's state trooper friend (3) who was consulted about what to do about Josh. 

Tabitha Paine's husband (4) 

Caleb Williams (5) and his brother (6), who are both facing sexual assault charges. 

and now Mike Schadt (7) who performed the wedding ceremony for Ben and Jessa. 

I mean granted I have no idea how many people I know who have issues with sex abuse, but it seems like a lot to me. 

“It’s incredibly common” sounds even worse now. Because in their circles it might just be true.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wedding pictures are up for Carlin. It's a bit tacky for Whitney to be doing the bump-clutch in the family shot. You already had two weddings, hon. Give it a rest.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/pictures/bringing-up-bates-star-carlin-bates-marries-evan-stewart/amp/

Group shot of the bridesmaids. I don't hate or love the dresses, but the multitude of pastels is giving me 80s prom vibes:

‘Bringing-Up-Bates’-Star-Carlin-Bates-Marries-Evan-Stewart-08.jpg.jpeg

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

And now for something completely different....what the Rodruigii have resorted to since being kicked out if that KOA pool (10 pics): 

Nothing says modesty than clinging wet t-shirts. 👀👀👀

• LOL 11
  • Love 4

I grew up swimming in a crick in Ohio, and street clothes like that were strictly verboten.   There is always a current even if you cannot detect it and the creek bed is full of slimy rocks.   One if those girls could slip, hit her head on a rock, sink  and float away before anyone could react.  

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, LilJen said:

“It’s incredibly common” sounds even worse now. Because in their circles it might just be true.

When I was a young girl, and a younger adult (not saying I’m old, I’m 33), I knew these awful things happened to children and to women, and that it was tragic and wrong, but I assumed it was RARE. A tragic awful thing but that statistically most girls grew up in safe loving environments free of abuse, and grew up to have consensual sexual relationships devoid of coercion and assault. 

I now know that abuse is far more common than I ever thought possible and I assume that in a culture where men are given total control over women; women are blamed for the short comings of men abuse is all the more common- 1. Because abusive types are attracted to that kind of lifestyle, 2. Good people (men and women) who would speak out and stop the abuser are silenced or threatened with losing their livelihood or entire community if they did so. 

Reminds me of an older man I know who was headed to the priesthood (late 1960s and 1970s)- he started the process but left. He remained a Catholic and good friends with many priests, but it turns out that he said he saw too much corruption in the church and he couldn’t be a part of that system, and that it was too hard for many decent members of the clergy to stop abusers. 

I most certainly think these types try to “normalize” these abusive situations 1. To save their own skin, 2. Allow themselves to abuse, 3. Keep people complacent in the system. Just because something happens “a lot” doesn’t make it normal or right. That doesn’t mean it’s not a “big deal”. May the victims be able to see that. 

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Anybody else get a strong Mariska Hargitay vibe from Carlin Bates?

Well, I do now. Going all the way back to when she was Dr. Greene's crazy girlfriend on ER. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

Nothing says modesty than clinging wet t-shirts. 👀👀👀

I see only Jill gets a short skirt in the water.  All those heavy, long skirts are so dangerous Jill!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

And now for something completely different....what the Rodruigii have resorted to since being kicked out if that KOA pool (10 pics): 

Oh, FFS. I got nothing. That is so disgusting on so many levels, not even taking in consideration the safety factor. Sheesh. 

• Love 10

I listened to Gil and Kelly's commentary at Carlin's wedding. Why do they have to have every statement they make sound like a sermon? It gets old, really old.

Kelly's dress was very nice and Gil looked tasteful. They really did. Kelly's hair was a bit flat; I think she would have looked better with some height on her head and an updo. Other than that, I think it looked like a very tasteful wedding; hopefully the reception also was tasteful. Perhaps that's due to the STEWART side of the family's input?

• Love 3

I didn't like her hair down, it gets flat really quick. I honestly thought she was going to go with a riskier dress, maybe a halter top like Whitney or an off shoulder dress. 

3 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

One of those pics was of Carlin dancing with Gil in a father-daughter dance.

What songs did Carlin & Gil & Carlin & Evan dance to?  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Did the non-dancing Duggars split before that evilness took place?

I’d love to know how that all went down! Did they stay and politely smile while secretly fuming, or sneak out before the evil deed was done? 

26 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I listened to Gil and Kelly's commentary at Carlin's wedding. Why do they have to have every statement they make sound like a sermon? It gets old, really old.

Kelly's dress was very nice and Gil looked tasteful. They really did. Kelly's hair was a bit flat; I think she would have looked better with some height on her head and an updo. Other than that, I think it looked like a very tasteful wedding; hopefully the reception also was tasteful. Perhaps that's due to the STEWART side of the family's input?

I’m curious if they provided actual FOOD for their guests?  Or maybe just sheet trays of bacon in an airplane hangar?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

The Bates family does do weddings much better than the Duggers. The only Fuggar wedding that looked nice was Jinger’s. 

I wonder if anyone else danced other than Carlin, the new hubby and Gil?....

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

You know they all peed in the pond!

Look, fish pee in there.  I used to pee in the creek at my family's land because the alternative was an outhouse.  That outhouse haunts my dreams and has made me able to use any gas station bathroom. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

The place they held the reception posted that the wedding will be on the show. I don’t watch, but I’m curious if some Duggars will be edited out.

My mother watches, and yes, they'll be edited out. The networks won't let one family be in the other's show. If you watch carefully, you might see a Duggar head. lol

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
17 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The scene from Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? redone with pale, gaunt kids weighed down with denim.

Seriously, those two young kids don't look normal at all.  

Edited by BradandJanet
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7