Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

The Rodrigiiiiiiiiiiii terrify me. She with the crazy make up and look. Her sallow, pasty-faced malnourished children, slobbering over a piece of fucking coconut because they are starved. I will be happy to report them to Child protective services if someone can point me to the right direction. They make.me.angry. Very.

Wee Paul talks like Priscilla, which is bad enough on its own, but in a boy...just no. Poor guy. He looks like a quiet shy little fellow who won't have much of a chance in life with parents like that.

• Love 11

Ha, we use those Resurrection eggs too, and my kids are older! They really like it and ask to do it every year. And of course we ALSO do a regular egg hunt with candy!!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

For all the emphasis these people place on babies, children, homeschooling, etc., they really are clueless as to what is age appropriate, or situationally appropriate. All those toddlers are capable of thinking, while they're outside, running in a field, during an egg hunt, is GET THE EGGS. Put them in the basket. Oh look, it cracks open. He opened his egg. I MUST OPEN MINE NOW. Why is this man looking at a book we can't see, we can't really hear him. Oh look, more eggs. A butterfly. Yeah, repeat what he says. I WANT TO PLAY. Why is there a toy rope in here? That's no fun. Why did he take my toy donkey? Oh look, pieces of silver, those look like something I should try to put in my mouth and swallow. Maybe put up my nose. 

It's not even their lack of understanding of typical childhood developmental milestones for me.  They claim that their kids are blessings from God, but they sure don't treat them that way.  I don't see them cherishing their kids or savoring the moments with them or showing much in the way of love and affection for them.  I grew up in a big Catholic family with 6 kids, which I realize is nothing compared to some of these fundie fools, but my parents loved me and showed it.  They went out of their way to make holidays special for us kids.  They took us places and did stuff with us, and not because it was being filmed for TV.   Instead, these dolts stockpile their broods in dormitory bedrooms, make them wear whatever they can find in the Goodwill bin and don't ever treat them as individuals.  I treat the custodian in my office building better than these folks treat their kids. 

• Love 18
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Between David W and Jill & Derick I'm starting to think that saving people stories are equivalent to folks who like to fish and their stories.

There's evidence on this point, I think. Many countries (though not the U.S.) still collect religious affiliation data on census forms. So it can be compared to the data that churches of all stripes collect about their conversion records in those countries. Pretty inevitably, I gather, churches claim -- and, I guess, believe in -- pretty high numbers of new converts brought in through their formal and informal missions. Come the next census, though, there tends to be no evidence of that influx of new believers that the churches have reported. 

Unlike the fish stories, though, I would guess that the people and churches that do the converting do really believe their stories. It's just that they confuse politeness or momentary enthusiasm for something actually accomplished, I guess.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It's not even their lack of understanding of typical childhood developmental milestones for me.  They claim that their kids are blessings from God, but they sure don't treat them that way.  I don't see them cherishing their kids or savoring the moments with them or showing much in the way of love and affection for them.  I grew up in a big Catholic family with 6 kids, which I realize is nothing compared to some of these fundie fools, but my parents loved me and showed it.  They went out of their way to make holidays special for us kids.  They took us places and did stuff with us, and not because it was being filmed for TV.   Instead, these dolts stockpile their broods in dormitory bedrooms, make them wear whatever they can find in the Goodwill bin and don't ever treat them as individuals.  I treat the custodian in my office building better than these folks treat their kids. 

Which is why TLC chose the Duggars (and, by extension, the very messed up Gothard cult) to televise, isn't it?

I'm 100 percent sure they weren't looking for a "nice" and "normal" great big family. They were looking for a great big family that would spur outrage as much as it would spur leghumping, because to keep the numbers up they need both kinds of viewers.

This is what infuriates me about having this on tv as "entertainment." It would be one thing as a documentary intending to reveal some unfortunate truth (and even then I wouldn't like it). But to put it on as entertainment, when they clearly chose these people for their out-there dysfunction, seems unconscionable to me.

I have to say that when it comes to David and Priscilla, I feel every bit as bad for them as I do for their children. They were both raised in this mess and badly needed some other kind of upbringing, more so than others, really, I think, given Priscilla's simpleness and David's apparent issues. They were trapped in something that wrecked their souls and now they're extending that wreckage to their children, even though they're doing it absolutely unwittingly and with nothing but the best intentions, I'm sure. It's tragic, to me.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Which is why TLC chose the Duggars (and, by extension, the very messed up Gothard cult) to televise, isn't it?

I'm 100 percent sure they weren't looking for a "nice" and "normal" great big family. They were looking for a great big family that would spur outrage as much as it would spur leghumping, because to keep the numbers up they need both kinds of viewers.

This is what infuriates me about having this on tv as "entertainment." It would be one thing as a documentary intending to reveal some unfortunate truth (and even then I wouldn't like it). But to put it on as entertainment, when they clearly chose these people for their out-there dysfunction, seems unconscionable to me.

Absolutely, and it seems unconscionable to me too. I'm sure there is some sort of obnoxious famewhore scale that factors in significantly when TLC is selecting families for reality shows. Gothard has an entire cult full of devotees, but I'm sure TLC saw Boob's senate campaign and the constant parading his matching wife and children around all "look at me! I rule!" and thought, "that's our guy." 

• Love 5

I've also gotten "Have you heard the good news?" "Where are you going when you die?" ("Poughkeepsie" is the answer that tempts me on that one.) 

Edited Saturday 09:55 AM by Churchhoney.

Oh yessssss. I actually live in Poughkeepsie; I enjoy all your commentary and can't wait to meet you! (You'll find me at the skating rink, natch). Hope I'm still here when you arrive... :) 

• Love 4

Reading the last 2 pages from this thread, all I can say is... God bless America.

(Coming from a Canadian perspective - I mean, we do have JWs and such, and I know proselytism is far from being a solely American phenomenon... but it still feels like such an alien concept/reality. I don't mean it as an attack though, it's just that the level of religiosity in our neighbors from the South never fails to genuinely astound me.)

• Love 11
1 hour ago, PinkyCupcake said:

Reading the last 2 pages from this thread, all I can say is... God bless America.

(Coming from a Canadian perspective - I mean, we do have JWs and such, and I know proselytism is far from being a solely American phenomenon... but it still feels like such an alien concept/reality. I don't mean it as an attack though, it's just that the level of religiosity in our neighbors from the South never fails to genuinely astound me.)

Don't worry, I live here and it astounds me too.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, questionfear said:

Oh I would love to be trapped on an airplane next to David Waller. I have a few stock responses to proselytizers: 

1) Why yes, I have heard of Jesus...we're quite proud of him, such a nice Jewish boy, and when's the last time you met a Jewish carpenter?

2) Why would I kick the Devil out of my soul? He's paying twice the market rate for rent in there.

3) Let's discuss science and reason....and did I mention I majored in philosophy and can debate for hours and hours without giving up? 

1) Sorry. I don't talk to strangers who make me uncomfortable. Please leave me alone or I'll call the flight attendant.

2) You're very talkative. Have you been drinking?

3) People like you make me dislike religion. Is that your goal?

4) One of us is going to have to change seats if you don't stop bothering me. If I complain, that could be you. 

5) (Dirty look. This usually doesn't work on its own, so one of the other lines is necessary.) 

These need to be delivered with a sweet voice and steely look. Believe me, it works. When I fly, I don't sign up to have someone oozing over me. 

• Love 18

I just saw  a picture of Tabby's wedding party. I'll have to figure out how to get the picture here. Strange picture. Even the bride doesn't see too happy neither does her mother.

It's on the Fans of the Bates FB page. I'm challenged as to getting the picture here to share with you guys.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

What's the exact name of the page? All I see are groups, and there is no way I'm joining a leghumper group. 

Fans of the Bates Family

Edited by Fuzzysox
Just now, Fuzzysox said:

Erin didn't get the memo to wear white shoes!?

Boring bridesmaid dresses.

Not one Duggar girl in wedding party. I find that strange.

Really strange, especially for people to claim close friendships after a 10 minute conversation. Tabitha lived with them for...at least 2 years, wasn't it? I guess she really was just the hired help to them.

The shoes on those bridesmaids are tragic. White AND flat? 

• Love 12
25 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

I think this is just the Paines since just her parents are in the pics. 

Fugly bridesmaids dresses. Erin's isn't pleated. I don't think she was in the wedding party, just there to hold the cute ringbearer. I wonder if Jana was a bridesmaid?

Need a closer shot to see the details of Tabby's dress. 

God, I despise Dr. Paine with the intensity of a thousand suns. Oh he who told one of Gothard's victims to go eat a protein bar after an encounter (it's in the complaint from back in the days when Paine worked at HQ before moving to OK). 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 8

The bridesmaid dresses are cute enough ... for something marginally dressy. Like, meeting my grandma for brunch or watching my sister graduate from college. The shoes are ugly.

Tabitha's new husband even gives me the creeps just by looking at him. Ugh. 

• Love 7

Those are bridesmaid dresses?   Well you can certainly wear them again.  And navy flats would have worked better.  At least give those ladies pretty scarves or hair ornaments or SOMEthing to make the ensembles special.   There's a difference between plain, thrifty, and cheap-ass.  Guess where this lands.   The MOB dress is nice though.

• Love 2

I think Erin's shoes are cute and much more appropriate with the navy than the white flat shoes.  Even Tabby's mom has what appears to be matching heels.  The groom looks old enough to be her father.  I'm so very sad that her family didn't stop this, or at least slow it down.  

I was looking at the picture again and I think the girls shoes are shiny, probably silver, which would match their belts or whatever is decorative in the middle of the dresses.

Edited by wilsie
Noticed the shoes look shiny.
  • Love 2

Right, which is why you can tell that Erin wasn't in the wedding party. And if this is the wedding that UP promised for the new season in June (and someone - Pickles? - reported that it was filmed), Jana likely wasn't able to be a bridesmaid. It would be pretty hard to shoot around her during the ceremony. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, McManda said:

The bridesmaid dresses are cute enough ... for something marginally dressy. Like, meeting my grandma for brunch or watching my sister graduate from college. The shoes are ugly.

Tabitha's new husband even gives me the creeps just by looking at him. Ugh. 

I'm not mad as the dresses. I've seen much worse. They're simple and they all fit. I thjnk she shoes are silver. I don't think this was a super formal wedding, so they all look nice to me.

Tab's husband looks like a piece of work. He sure is proud of himself and looks like he thinks he needs to be sitting on a throne or something. 

Tabitha really is a striking girl. All the comments about her being homely or plain really are overexaggerated. She just needed to be released from the frumpery.

Erin's shoes - sorry but somebody please give them the memo that you can make shoes/feet sexy, etc. Heels, ankle straps, peep toes are meant to make you look at feet and legs. I get that she needs heighth and wants cute shoes, but just admit you were looking for some semi F-me pumps.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

I am sure the Duggar girls are contractually prohibited from appearing on competing shows on other networks.  If they were in the wedding, word would get out among the leghumpers and their fans would then tune into UP to catch the show.  Can't have that happening.  Josh can be CGI'd out of the crowd at his sisters' wedding or a toddler placed conveniently to hide his face from the cameras, but it would be practically impossible to delete a bridesmaid from the filming. Maybe some Duggars did readings or other stuff that can be edited out for broadcast, but no way they'd jeopardize their TLC gig for the sake of friendship.  We all know their priorities and it is show above all else.

• Love 3

I'm assuming Erin did the music and that's why she wasn't in the bridal party.

As far as the Duggars, aside from Jana would any of the other girls really have been friends with Tabitha? Joy is too young, and Jill, Jessa and Jinger were already courting or married by the time Tabby moved into the TTH. It wouldn't surprise me if none of them were in the wedding.

The bridesmaid's dresses are better than Jill's or Jessa's, but not anything memorable in terms of style or color. The whole vibe just has a feeling of "meh." Like there was little effort put into this wedding because both bride and groom were snagged from the "leftover pile" and didn't warrant a fancy production. It's kind of depressing, really.

• Love 5

Maybe it's just me, but kinda strange that Tabby's brothers are wearing black ties (bow ties) and yet the groom and father of the bride aren't.  It kinda adds to the quick 'thrown' together look of this wedding.

• Love 3

Is that the groom behind Tabitha? Doesn't the happy couple usually face each other in portraits, rather than their mothers? Maybe not. It's hard to look at the people who I assume are her parents without wondering how they could not only go along with their daughter marrying that man, but actually orchestrate it. 

• Love 4

About to fly home!  Now I'm worried we'll be seated with a David Waller type!  (Says the former evangelical who was trained from an early age to witness in malls, train stations, the beach, everywhere!)

• Love 8

Chad (is that his name?, the one married to the Bates girl) didn't seem to be in the wedding either. Not sure if that is strange or not. What is strange is the groomsmen being more formally dressed in tuxes than the groom and father of the bride in regular ties. Otherwise, the girls look cute, as if they are all members of the same choir. Wedges, at minimum, would have elevated their dresses to almost semi-formal. 

• Love 1

I don't think this is the entire wedding party, just the Paines. I can't tell if Chad matches the other groomsmen or not, but I don't see why he would have been excluded, especially given that they are now neighbors given that The Rapist works at Erin's alma mater.

Chad does not appear to be wearing a dark suit like the other groomsmen and Eryn has a different dress and shoes - odd that they weren't part of the wedding party. Maybe she played piano and he took pictures? And where are the bridesmaids' bouquets?

6 hours ago, lulu69 said:

Maybe it's just me, but kinda strange that Tabby's brothers are wearing black ties (bow ties) and yet the groom and father of the bride aren't.  It kinda adds to the quick 'thrown' together look of this wedding.

I kind of think they figured that the long ties on the evil Dr. Paine and the evil new groom are more formal and important, somehow. (It comes to my mind that they also could be much more lethal if they, say, got good and caught in a serious revolving door. But that's probably just me.) 

Anyway, while in their capacity as backups to these stars of the day the rest of the wedding party is intended to be in something similar to the getup of faintly upscale restaurant servers, with the bow ties and the easy-to-walk-while-carrying-food-trays flats, perhaps. I don't even have to squint to see the attendants' dresses in that light, actually, now that I think of it. 

1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

This wedding picture looks "off" to me.  The bridesmaids on the right seem bigger and out of scale.  They appear to be taller than most of the men, and almost as big as the groom.

I think this is what happens when the photographer stands significantly off center and at a bit of an angle to a large group. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, awaken said:

About to fly home!  Now I'm worried we'll be seated with a David Waller type!  (Says the former evangelical who was trained from an early age to witness in malls, train stations, the beach, everywhere!)

JW?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Readalot said:

JW?

Nope, just regular old evangelical Christian. We were trained from early on. Heck, I even remember as a teen going to share the gospel at a nursing home!  

Home safe, quiet seat mates on the flight :)

• Love 10
On 4/17/2017 at 5:46 AM, MunichNark said:

Wee Paul talks like Priscilla, which is bad enough on its own, but in a boy...just no. Poor guy. He looks like a quiet shy little fellow who won't have much of a chance in life with parents like that.

He really does have the mannerisms and inflections of his mom. He needs to be around other people more. When you think of people whose speech you want to emulate, Priscilla is at the bottom of the list. 

• Love 5
On 4/19/2017 at 8:35 AM, Aja said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Both David and Prissy talk like they're peaking on acid and trying REALLY HARD to maintain.

I am rolling.  MAIN-TAIN (gotta have the arm movements)!  I may have witnessed (ok, had) this conversation a time or two while a young adult.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

OMG, how did the Keller genes end up on this side of the family?  All I can see is Pa Keller when I look at Henry.

Once again, I'm comparing them to the Bates' gals. I'm not on social media - Any pictures out there showing how the Bates' families were dressed for Easter?   I'm sure their finery was much better.

Carlin and Nathan.

Assorted Bateses. They win by a landslide.

• Love 7

I think it is Trace. He's growing out of the ferret face he had throughout most of his teens.

eta: To be fair, Zach and Whitney's pic in s from a formal photoshoot. They may or may not have worn these outfits on Easter Day.

Still, every one of them outshine the Arbiter of Fundie Fashion, Jessa Seewald, even Carlin's rather gaudy print. I am more of a solids gal, so it's subjective.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 7