Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Interesting that Anna is holding on to Josh in the picture instead of him holding on to her like his father does in every picture with Michelle.

We all know who's the more invested in that marriage, and it ain't Josh. Anna knows it, too.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Interesting that Anna is holding on to Josh in the picture instead of him holding on to her like his father does in every picture with Michelle.

....because a waitress probably just went by the table and she's monitoring his pulse rate.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

Somewhere there's a newborn named Phillip in a black, beige, and white patterned shirt re Davy's and Priss's. Clothing coordination makes a happy family out of any mess.

I wonder if Phillip was at the wedding? He certainly would have been dressed for the occasion, mostly likely including dress shoes.

• Love 6

I think I'd club my husband over the head if he forced me to travel hundreds of miles with an infant and two toddlers only a few weeks after giving birth. Seriously, when's the last time Pris or David even talked to Jinger? Would it have killed them to sit this one out?

• Love 17

As for the Seewalds with Spurgeon on this Saturday, it's very possible they were at the wedding. 

1.  They introduced their son to the Duggars. I think they might like being at a famous wedding.

2. Or the chance to network with other fundie families. Especially since they don't mind marrying kids off young. 

3. They might have been invited to baby-sit for Spurgeon during the ceremony since Jessa and Ben were in the wedding. My friend invited her sister's in-laws to help with the children (they had 2) since sis was a bridesmaid.

Ben is definitely the oldest of seven. I'm not sure if the missing sibling is male or female.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

As for the Seewalds with Spurgeon on this Saturday, it's very possible they were at the wedding. 

1.  They introduced their son to the Duggars. I think they might like being at a famous wedding.

2. Or the chance to network with other fundie families. Especially since they don't mind marrying kids off young. 

3. They might have been invited to baby-sit for Spurgeon during the ceremony since Jessa and Ben were in the wedding. My friend invited her sister's in-laws to help with the children (they had 2) since sis was a bridesmaid.

Ben is definitely the oldest of seven. I'm not sure if the missing sibling is male or female.

I agree. I mentioned in another thread that Hannie is walking with a girl in white tights with no shoes on in one of the pictures. I think she is a Seewald daughter.

7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think I'd club my husband over the head if he forced me to travel hundreds of miles with an infant and two toddlers only a few weeks after giving birth. Seriously, when's the last time Pris or David even talked to Jinger? Would it have killed them to sit this one out?

I wonder to what extent David acts as "the great Gothard representative" at these things.

5 hours ago, Temperance said:

Yeah, the Seewalds were there. In the photo with Hannie in her pink bridesmaid's dress, the shoeless girl walking with her is the youngest (I think) of the Seewald sisters.

• Love 2
On 11/6/2016 at 9:25 PM, Malvina said:

Grammatical error aside, what exactly was "Davidncil" trying to say when they wrote, "You all are doing great?"  Meaning Smuganna's marriage?  Like it's something to aspire to?  Or just the fact that they're appearing in public?  Interesting caption.

I can't tell if Pris is wearing a similarly colored shirt as that of her headship, but I'm going to just guess and say that she is.

You could not pay me enough to share a sloppy sundae with that lot.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 3
On 11/2/2016 at 5:19 AM, lianau said:

I'm starting to think Gothard girls aren't encouraged to learn anything useful .

Knowledge is power so can't have that.  Although I am not sure how that would relate to crochet and knitting.  Maybe they are afraid some poor helpmeet would knit a straight jacket so she could escape?  

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Why do they all have shared social media accounts?

Ugh, I know a ton of women who put their husband's name on their social media account.  I've heard two explanations.

1.  "We're one flesh."  GROSS.  Listen, I'm a Christian, and I believe in the spiritual (and physical) concept of being one flesh with your spouse. But it doesn't mean that your identity is completely subsumed by his, dimbulb.  A woman once explained it to me by saying, "We're a team in everything we do," and I wanted to ask her if they do their bathroom business together.  (Attached illustrstion: The Love Toilet.)

2.  "I want to be completely accountable to my spouse."  Hmm, here's a thought--try just telling each other stuff.  I have no doubt that Facebook is a big hook-up tool for people my age, mainly because I've been the object of some flirtation from old high school friends.  Guess what my reaction has been? To call my husband to the computer and say, "Get a load what this jackalope just said to me."  My husband is in the ministry, and over the years, he's been the object of the affection/obsession/desire of three different women, as well as two men. (It's an occupational hazard. It really is.)  In all cases, the first thing he did was tell me about it. 

There may be other reasons for the shared social media accounts, but those are the ones I've heard most commonly.

love toilet.jpg

Edited by Portia
  • Love 19

I'm done with the Bateses. The Batesfam posted a photo of Zach on his knees, together with a whiney rant. They have been careful to not mention names or who to vote for, but the message is obvious. I cannot have it on  my conscience to follow people like that, a healthy wake up call of how dangerous their beliefs really are.

Apart from being contrary to the Bible, as per hypocrites who publicise things......just no. Just fucking no

• Love 12
8 hours ago, MunichNark said:

I'm done with the Bateses. The Batesfam posted a photo of Zach on his knees, together with a whiney rant. They have been careful to not mention names or who to vote for, but the message is obvious. I cannot have it on  my conscience to follow people like that, a healthy wake up call of how dangerous their beliefs really are.

Apart from being contrary to the Bible, as per hypocrites who publicise things......just no. Just fucking no

Whitney did a big long IG post about how they voted for Trump ( and said by name they voted for him)

On 11/7/2016 at 6:23 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

I don't know why that name cracks me up, but it does...

Sounds like it would have been some Chris Farley character on SNL

Oh god....drippy sundae?. Four nasty spoons repeatedly double dipping in melting dairy. I just threw up in my mouth...

2 hours ago, Annb67 said:

Oh god....drippy sundae?. Four nasty spoons repeatedly double dipping in melting dairy. I just threw up in my mouth...

...and one loaded with nasty STD microorganisms.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

but they DO get out and VOTE.

At the same time as they're deeply impressed with themselves for knowing absolutely nothing and vow to continue finding out absolutely nothing for as long as they live. Not to mention having absolutely zero tolerance or empathy regarding people with points of view than theirs, here in what's supposed to be a democratic republic. So .... the voting's a mixed blessing.

I expect if someone put up a pet rock as a candidate with the correct party/ideological label on it, the Duggars would rush out to the bus to do a voter-engagement tour to push its candidacy. And, of course, rush out again to vote for it.

(Not that they're entirely alone in this, of course. But, really, most people care to know a little more about things than they do. And have at least a little more understanding and acceptance of the fact that some compromises are a necessity in a diverse democracy.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12
On 11/9/2016 at 0:27 AM, MunichNark said:

The Zach photo must have been a response to all the comments Whitney received. She basically acknowledged that Trump is horrible, but she voted for him anyway because he will "protect the lives of the unborn." There's so many things that don't make sense about that statement, but whatever. Kelly said much the same.

Currently I'm only following Alyssa and Erin/Chad on Instagram.  

32 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

The Zach photo must have been a response to all the comments Whitney received. She basically acknowledged that Trump is horrible, but she voted for him anyway because he will "protect the lives of the unborn." There's so many things that don't make sense about that statement, but whatever. Kelly said much the same.

Currently I'm only following Alyssa and Erin/Chad on Instagram.  

I just can't with that line of thinking.  To think it just comes down to that one issue for them.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

If only the "protect the live of the unborn" crowd were equally dedicated to protecting and aiding the living. 

Indeed!  If only.

Boggles the mind that they would even support someone so secular in comparison to those they normally would endorse, as past candidates have been much more religious.  But, I guess if they think they are getting the one thing they want, then I guess the ends justifies the means in their rationale.  

• Love 4
On 11/8/2016 at 10:56 AM, RazzleberryPie said:

How old are bin's sisters? Why aren't they auctioned off by now?

I may be hallucinating, but I seem to remember that one of them -- Jessica? -- has a "boyfriend." If that's true, then I guess they have leave to take a different route than Duggars and not kiss dating goodbye.

4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I may be hallucinating, but I seem to remember that one of them -- Jessica? -- has a "boyfriend." If that's true, then I guess they have leave to take a different route than Duggars and not kiss dating goodbye.

She did, and he looked like total trash. Like hangs Confederate flags in his bedroom and irons his Klan hood kind of trash. I'm not sure if she's still with him or not.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

She did, and he looked like total trash. Like hangs Confederate flags in his bedroom and irons his Klan hood kind of trash. I'm not sure if she's still with him or not.

Nice. I guess he went right along with the kind of views she expressed on her Central American "mission" then.  (Was Jessica the one with the diary that Mike had to take offline?)

• Love 1
Just now, Churchhoney said:

Nice. I guess he went right along with the kind of views she expressed on her Central American "mission" then.  (Was Jessica the one with the diary that Mike had to take offline?)

She was, yes. I guess I shouldn't judge the boyfriend based on Instagram pics, he just gives me that "vibe" if you know what I mean.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BitterApple said:

She was, yes. I guess I shouldn't judge the boyfriend based on Instagram pics, he just gives me that "vibe" if you know what I mean.

I think the pictures a person chooses to post is a perfectly valid thing to judge them based on. 

• Love 13

Most of the guests cleaned up well for this affair; well, these people did. I can't say much about the other 950.

Pris looks pretty in the "The Odd Family" (great caption) photo. Is she wearing a mustard shrug to coordinate with David's tie?  David might prefer a pink tie to match her dress, but he probably knows better by now. 

David gets creepier by the photo.  I don't know. He looks so tightly wound the way he's leaning into the camera and grinning menacingly. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Malvina said:

Except for the weird silver sack dress wth leggings, everybody looks cute and normal. 

I know most people here think Davina isn't cute, but I'd think she is a pretty toddler. Priss' kids always do look clean, groomed and cared for. They never look unkempt, and look like they behave without being terrified. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I saw a lot of really inappropriate attire for a formal(ish) afternoon wedding.  It's nice to see that for a southern fundie it was a nice reception.

It seems like all the guests fell into two categories: a) pretty and polished or b) sloppy hot mess.

In the "a" category we have Diana Vuolo, the Bates girls, the Paine women, Pris, TFDW, Marjorie and her sister.

The "b" category contains Lawson, Sierra, Boob, Josh, and anybody else who wore jeans to a friggin wedding.

• Love 6

I know I shouldn't follow so many Duggars & Bates on instagram, but usually it's just amusing fodder for here.  I was really annoyed yesterday at post after post from Duggars & Bates and Seewalds thanking our veterans.  I mean, that's nice, but why aren't any of their special selves actual veterans?  I would guess that a grandfather or two is, but since Gothard, only faux military Alert stuff, not the real US military.  All those able bodied adults at home and jobless and they could really show their love for country (instead of posting Zach Bates showily praying for a Donald Trump win) by enlisting.  

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

They don't join the military because ultimately they don't trust the government and it also means working for someone else.  They don't appear to like anything but self employment.

And self aggrandizement!

• Love 16