Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

UP promised a special announcement during the clip show, but I never saw it. I only found out a cryptic clue on BUB's SM. Someone is knocked up. They're not saying who. Since Michael denied being pregnant just a couple of weeks ago, I doubt it's her. Plus, she's skinnier than I have ever seen her. Ditto Alyssa. Church With Lurch pics each week show her to be a skinny minnie. Erin is too high risk for an early announcement. That leaves Whitney, who basically got knocked up the first time on her honeymoon. And no body shots of late. She hid behind Zach in the last one I saw.

No courtship announcement yet, but earlier today, I saw a pic of Nate with his arm around Ashley. That's the worst kept secret ever.

I'm betting on Alyssa because she and John took a picture of their hands in a heart on her tummy recently.

• Love 1

I just saw a recap of the best moments from Bringing Up Bates.  BIG comparison between Alyssa and Erin Bates' deliveries and Jill and Jessa's.  Alyssa had her baby in a birthing center.  Erin walked into the hospital requesting an epidural (she never got one because of the rapidity of the birth...well, relatively speaking!).  The Bates girls took no chances.  And another thing.  The family is as fundamentalist as the Duggars (Carlin was given a purity ring by her parents in one clip), but they are so much more FUN!  I can imagine spending time with them. They laugh so much and tease each other constantly.  And apparently front hugs are allowed.  Brandon and Michaela hugged when they got engaged.  One of the things that always bugged me about Jim Bob was he said the engaged couple could set their own standards, but each of them followed the exact same routine.  No front hugs, no hand holding till engaged, and, in the case of Josh and Anna, hand sex was OK, I guess.  I guess the Bates are religious and the Duggars are self-righteous.  I think that's the word I'm looking for,

Yes, the Bates children are all are well-spoken, have obvious affection for each other, and seem like happy people. The Duggar children just seem like they are dead inside, and they interact like they barely know each other. I think the difference is that Kelly & Gil are all about their children and Michelle and Jim Bob are all about themselves. As a result, the Bates kids are well-adjusted and the Duggar kids are emotionally-stunted.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 13

I rarely comment about the Wallers but how could they pay THAT MUCH for such a dump?

I had that thought at first, but keep in mind that Big Sandy has a population of, what?  Not a lot.  And IBLP has likely created a sudden spike in demand for homes during a short timeframe.  When that happens, people with houses to sell start jacking up the prices, particularly if they know the kind of prices the IBLP employees have been used to paying in Chicago.

• Love 1

I'm betting on Alyssa because she and John took a picture of their hands in a heart on her tummy recently.

Oh, I missed that! I've just seen the usual Church with Lurch pics, and she looks fab!

eta: She's hidden her middle in the pics from the last 10 days or so. Oops. 

And sorry, Allie Jane got the short end of all the family tree sticks. :(

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

I don't see any photos of Alyssa hiding anything? I hope it's not her - didn't she say she didn't want so many kids? That would be disappointing.

Whitney, well, the wee one is what, a year or so? I suppose if she must. I hope they all have enough sense to not overbreed

• Love 2

If a pregnancy announcement is coming, I think it shows the Bates kids are just as much invested in super-breeding as the Duggars. The grandkids are barely a year old. It's like these girls think their ovaries will dry up if they wait more than a year between pregnancies.

Given how high risk Erin is, I'm praying it's not her.

• Love 3

Nearly a 2 year space between kids is pretty common. These young couples could be going for 2-3 kids and done. I hope!

Hopefully they realize it's not cheap to raise a large family. But at least the Bates' son-in-laws have jobs and houses that weren't given to them.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 4

I don't see any photos of Alyssa hiding anything? I hope it's not her - didn't she say she didn't want so many kids? That would be disappointing.

Whitney, well, the wee one is what, a year or so? I suppose if she must. I hope they all have enough sense to not overbreed

Hmm the picture of Alyssa and John seems to have disappeared. I do recall seeing it. Perhaps they took it down because it would have given the "surprise" away.

• Love 2

I am watching the Gaineses right now - marathon! I enjoy them and I love getting ideas for freshening up houses. I doubt they would touch the Wallers' new hovel. That thing appears to be beyond redemption. LIKE JoSH. I am hilarious.

Maybe you didn't see the job they did on the Harp's house.  The Harp's (he's Joanna's carpenter) bought the house for $10,000.  It was a worse dump than the one David and Priscilla bought.  Ended up looking GORGEOUS.

Edited by Ilovemylabs
  • Love 2

Maybe you didn't see the job they did on the Harp's house.  The Harp's he's Joanna's carpenter) bought the house for $10,000.  It was a worse dump than the one David and Priscilla bought.  Ended up looking GORGEOUS.

I saw that one too.  Joanna has a "style" or "design aesthetic" which is pretty similar for all the houses they do, I think, BUT, they all come out looking great.  They are a cute couple. 

• Love 2

Yes, the Bates children are all are well-spoken, have obvious affection for each other, and seem like happy people. The Duggar children just seem like they are dead inside, and they interact like they barely know each other. I think the difference is that Kelly & Gil are all about their children and Michelle and Jim Bob are all about themselves. As a result, the Bates kids are well-adjusted and the Duggar kids are emotionally-stunted.

I think another big difference is they didn't have The Josh Situation occur in their home, so they didn't have to become hyper sensitive to Nike, hugging, showing affection, etc., or hiding any impropriety. 

• Love 5

http://files.davidlovespriscilla.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/29/files/2012/03/Journey-to-the-Heart.jpg?52898e

Princilla talks about leading Journey to the Heart groups!!!

And she already had her slouchy, I'm just an Encourager, Jesus loving, Little Girl, Obedient look!

http://davidlovespriscilla.com/about-us/priscillas-story/

"My mother grew up in Miami, Florida where she faithfully road the church bus to church on Sundays."

ROAD! Does not speak well of their "advanced training" home education!

• Love 10

Let he who has not had a typo in a post cast the first stone.....or something like that:)  Sometimes a typo is just a typo (at least that's what I tell myself more often than I'd like)!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

How many times did this married-for-only-3-years couple note the unimportance of 'romance'? That alone speaks volumes IMO.

That poor, pitiful woman (Priscilla). What's even sadder are those two kids who've had the misfortune of inheriting their parent's genes. Those children don't have a snowballs chance of being anywhere near normal, and I can't even begin to imagine her attempting to homeschool them. SMDH

Edited by farmgal4
  • Love 4

I finally watched this and they are the most loveless couple. I'm sure there's a certain affection there but nothing else. Like I don't even get a cuddly vibe between them. It's sad.

At least this should help with the excessive breeding!

• Love 1

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/19.kids.and.counting.anna.duggar.jessa.duggar.priscilla.waller.courtship.marriage/41383.htm

This is an old link from the Josh and Anna Oct. 2014 thread. Scroll down and definitely watch the utube video of Anna and Princilla discussing relationships and "waiting on the lord". I am obsessed about watching Princilla on video!!! I can't get enough of her! She looks older than her years but speaks like one so many years younger!

• Love 2

Well ... Priscilla can be assured her husband didn't take part in any of this.

No, he was just the right hand man of the one who did. Plus he might not be employed much longer if the cult collapses.

It's also possible David is straight, and is just a huge misogynist.

• Love 3

http://gawker.com/lawsuit-ten-women-charge-duggar-homeschool-leader-with-1751507518

I'm reposing this here - since it's fundie related -  it's also in the media thread. Among other things, we find out that Mr. Gothard is now an (alleged) rapist. The Duggars and Bateses aren't going to like this.

Whoa. Be careful what you ask for, IBLP Board.

I have to say I'm a little skeptical of the rape claim, just because his particular warp seems to go in other directions. And BG certainly contributed mightily to the destruction of that poor damaged young woman, whatever it is he actually did to her physically. But even without it, there's such a huge amount of stuff here. Hard to see  how this could get completely blown off. Although it certainly has been evaded successfully for a helluva long time.

And I don't care if the Bates manage to look sweet. All the adults in this group, and especially the men of course, are disgusting, and cruel and rotten to the core, with all their hypocrisy and tyranny. Shut the damn mess down entirely. (of course others will spring up.... humans are nuts)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

I have to say I'm a little skeptical of the rape claim, just because his particular warp seems to go in other directions. But even without it, there's such a huge amount of stuff here. Hard to see  how this could get completely blown off. Although it certainly has been evaded successfully for a helluva long time.

You're a nicer person than I. I'm sure he did it. The Washington Post article says that more men and women are coming forward with their stories, and more plaintiffs will likely be added. For the 'Bates are so nice!' fans, no, they're not, AT ALL. Gil probably knew all about this and did nothing. Will be fun seeing him squirm in court.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 13

Ugh. Didn't some Duggar girls get sent here after Josh Incident #1? These miserable old bastards who zero in on the most vulnerable - and no one believed any of the girls mentioned in the article, of course, about their abuse at home. So they knew no one would believe their accounts of these old creeps harming them.

(Gothard touches their FEET?? I guess it is true that he would insist girls wear flip-flops. Basically all these years on TLC, we have been seeing these poor children wearing the required trappings of rape and fetishism. Good lord.)

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 12

You're a nicer person than I. I'm sure he did it. T

Actually, I may just think he's sicker than you do! He is so warped, given all the things that have been said over the years and reading his written crap, that I actually have a hard time seeing him doing something as simple and straightforward as rape, really. .... "Failing to rape" doesn't have to mean "doing less harm," to my mind, anyway. It's the mind torture and warping that accompanied whatever he did physically that really amped up the volume, in my opinion. That, and the fact, that most of the adults involved with these girls were all actively shutting them up and shoving aside the whole thing, which was further mental torment. 

I hope that he did do the rape, now that accusation has come out, since I think that might stimulate the justice system to maybe actually really pin something serious on these people. The big tragedy here is that all the rest of the many many horrors Gothard and company have perpetrated on people -- and that have been gradually revealed, in bunches, over the years --  are apparently too subtle for the powers that be and much of the public to respond to really negatively, given how much it's all been brushed off and repeatedly overlooked. I would definitely like to see these guys squirm. Rape or no rape, BG and his band have destroyed a ton of people.

(Gothard touches their FEET?? I guess it is true that he would insist girls wear flip-flops. Basically all these years on TLC, we have been seeing these poor children wearing the required trappings of rape and fetishism. Good lord.)

Yeah, I quoted some stuff from a couple of new Gothard and Gothard-henchpeople websites a while ago. He and they labeling it these days as "affirmative touches on the feet" to bolster the spirits and confidence of girls he was "counseling." The girls' descriptions, on Recovering Grace and elsewhere, depict it as hideous forced footsie games in cars and in his office.

Michelle, of course, will tell you that "Feet aren't sexual!"

Sickening, huh?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

Yeah, I quoted some stuff from a couple of new Gothard and Gothard-henchpeople websites a while ago. He and they labeling it these days as "affirmative touches on the feet" to bolster the spirits and confidence of girls he was "counseling." The girls' descriptions, on Recovering Grace and elsewhere, depict it as hideous forced footsie games in cars and in his office.

Michelle, of course, will tell you that "Feet aren't sexual!"

Sickening, huh?

Carlos Santana and every guy ever told to give his wife a foot rub so he can get some would like to disagree strongly with Michelle.

Also, anyone touching my feet, short of my podiatrist, would not be considered "affirmative".  

• Love 1

No, he was just the right hand man of the one who did. Plus he might not be employed much longer if the cult collapses.

It's also possible David is straight, and is just a huge misogynist.

I don't think David like women, but it's because he likes men.
  • Love 1

"Affirmative touches on the feet" no, that's not a fetish. No way. 

I prefer my employer to say 'good job' and maybe give me a bonus or even a company t-shirt or whatever. My minister - who is not pervy - can even give me a hug or pat on the back. Shake my hand. Send me a card. 

Gothard as an employer or Gothard as a minister - touching feet is not a normal or appropriate way to show affirmation. He's a perv with a god complex who preys on young women. The end.

• Love 12

Assuming Anna has a functioning brain, surely by now she has to, at least privately, be questioning that whole thing about waiting 'for the one the Lord has for you'. JOSH is the one a God sent for Anna? That's one mean-spirited God.

But then, how could she/Christ triumph over adversity and show us how wrong we heathens are?!  I'm sure she's talked herself into believing that this is her cross to bear, her teaching opportunity.

• Love 6

Whitney is pregnant with baby no. 2. I'm surprised they waited two years  between pregnancies.  Maybe Whitney is using birth control?

Or Zach was bone tired from being in the police academy so sexy times didn't happen too much.

Annnnnnddddd I'm excited that I finally have UP on my cable now. I watched the Bates last night and LOVED it. They are so fun in comparison to the dirty Duggars. Kelly played sports and ran!!!!

Or Zach was bone tired from being in the police academy so sexy times didn't happen too much.

Annnnnnddddd I'm excited that I finally have UP on my cable now. I watched the Bates last night and LOVED it. They are so fun in comparison to the dirty Duggars. Kelly played sports and ran during a baseball game!!!! They are just so bubbly and nice. No wonder they have married off 4 of their adult kids. One of my kids watched it with me and she said look at how happy they are!! Can't wait to see Michael's wedding this season.

Just wondering why anyone would consider anything a never married, older man had to say about marriage, family life in general, and breastfeeding in particular, even remotely credible.

Because he raised his flock to be uneducated followers that do not question anything he says.

• Love 8

Won't it be closer to 18 months by the time Bradley's sibling is born next summer? That doesn't imply much if any birth control.

Bradley is 14 months now. If Whitney is around 8 weeks (I think she had a pee stick announcement the first time) to get photos and UP filming done, we're talking 21 months. Perfectly average.

• Love 1