Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Captain Peralta

• Start Topic

Jake's mainly absentee father, Roger, comes to town to spend some time with his son. Jake can't wait to see him, but Charles is skeptical of Roger's intentions. Meanwhile, Holt tasks Amy, Terry, Gina and Rosa with an impossible brain teaser in exchange for Beyoncé tickets.

• Love 1

Boyle with Bianca the goatee was super weird, thank god the squad removed it for him.

"Scully, stop eating. Terry, start flexing."

Of course Terry was flexing, but this week he was flexing his brain. I like the twist that Holt hadn't been able to solve that puzzle for 20 years.

I'm not surprised Amy would go on a Sudoku cruise, and never go on deck.

"These islanders are delicious!" Don't give doughnuts to Terry. But it is funny.

Jake & Boyle's strut to "Spirit in The Sky" was great, as was the callback to when Scully headed for the toilet timed to the song. Boyle's shirt being untucked was a great touch.

"There's nine minutes left on that hug." You know damn well that Boyle was going to use up those nine minutes as soon as a could. Which he did.

• Love 3

Of course Gina's the one who got the Beyonce tickets. The Parks/B99 writers are obsessed with giving us a horribly mean, unfunny, entitled, selfish, ungrateful, arrogant witch as a main character (Gina here, April on Parks) and then hammering  us over the head with how they get win after win anyway and are inexplicably liked and supported by all the other characters. Argh. Other similarities between B99 and Parks were on display for me tonight as well: both go for silly/goofy/mostly juvenile humor over sharper wit, both are a lot better at the heartfelt, sweet emotional stuff than the humor IMO, both tend to like 'drunk humor', both shows have a well-meaning, somewhat older man as a scapegoat who everyone else is mean to (Jerry/Scully---and not in a funny way, IMO), and both have enough characters I really like to the point where I can ignore most of the weaknesses...usually :) 

I loved Jake showing up at his dad's door to announce that he finally sees the man for the horrible father that he is---AS really nailed that scene IMO. I loved, as always, Boyle's unabashed love for Jake. And I liked my beloved Amy being so predictably but cutely neurotic about solving the brain teaser. Beyond that, though, this wasn't a favorite of mine. 

• Love 6

Scully's not so bad when he's not paired with Hitchcock. That being said, I'm now able to tell them apart. Scully's the fat one, Hitchcock's the bald one. I think the main difference between Scully & Hitchcock and Jerry from Parks and Rec is that Scully & Hitchcock are pretty much pathetic no matter where they are. Jerry was just a sweet guy with an amazing home life with everyone crapping on him at work (sometimes bringing it onto himself).

Of course Gina's the one who got the Beyonce tickets. The Parks/B99 writers are obsessed with giving us a horribly mean, unfunny, entitled, selfish, ungrateful, arrogant witch as a main character (Gina here, April on Parks) and then hammering  us over the head with how they get win after win anyway and are inexplicably liked and supported by all the other characters. Argh. Other similarities between B99 and Parks were on display for me tonight as well: both go for silly/goofy/mostly juvenile humor over sharper wit, both are a lot better at the heartfelt, sweet emotional stuff than the humor IMO, both tend to like 'drunk humor', both shows have a well-meaning, somewhat older man as a scapegoat who everyone else is mean to (Jerry/Scully---and not in a funny way, IMO), and both have enough characters I really like to the point where I can ignore most of the weaknesses...usually :) 

I loved Jake showing up at his dad's door to announce that he finally sees the man for the horrible father that he is---AS really nailed that scene IMO. I loved, as always, Boyle's unabashed love for Jake. And I liked my beloved Amy being so predictably but cutely neurotic about solving the brain teaser. Beyond that, though, this wasn't a favorite of mine. 

I've got a love/hate relationship with Gina. I think she's funny, but man can she get overbearing with the bitchiness. At least April was just apathetic.

• Love 2

I truly don't relate to people that still hate Gina. I didn't like her much in the first half season 1. But, as established her long standing friendship with Jake and gave more balance to her cruel streak, I've enjoyed her a lot. She can be mean spirited but Rosa and Jake can be as well and they don't nearly as much shit for it. It's because that's who they are. All I ask is for non stop cruelness which they have done with Gina. She has shown to be a good friend while still being a smart ass and her hook up with Boyle ending at a surprisingly sweet place. They took way too long to level out April (and never did a real good job at it).

• Love 8

Yeah.  For me, Gina is way more tolerable than April, who is a hateful bitch with no redeeming qualities.   I do like Gina with Jake, (I love that they were childhood friends, just like in real life) and also Gina's relationship with the captain.  And, as mentioned, the ending of her thing with Charles was nice.

I also really hated the Jerry cruelty on Parks, and don't see anything approaching that here.  Jerry was much more competent than Skully and didn't deserve all the derision.  Skully's a mess, but his coworkers tolerate him surprisingly well.

I loved the scene with Jake and his dad at the end of this episode, along with the scene with his father-figure telling him he was proud of him.  I think Andy is a terrific actor and deserved last year's Golden Globe.  (Was he nominated this year?)  He brings so much to the character and really gives him a lot of heart and charm.

• Love 7

This show can do no wrong.

Was this the best episode ever? No.  Was it better than any other sitcom on tv? Yes.  Even Gina's salivating over the Tyreses was funny.    Terry's donut islanders,  Boyle drunk, Jake with Holt...just win. Win. Win. Win.

• Love 3
Yeah.  For me, Gina is way more tolerable than April, who is a hateful bitch with no redeeming qualities.

There are a lot of similarities between Gina and April. But I too find Gina infinitely more enjoyable than April. April was just a brat that everyone in her life inexplicably indulged. Gina is certainly selfish, and terrible and apathetic at her job, but she does have redeeming qualities (her dancing ambitions, her friendships at the Nine Nine). 

Was that brain teaser even remotely solvable? It didn't seem to have much information to come to an answer. Frankly I'm still not sure what needed to be solved. I think it was the identity of the 12th islander who was not of equal weight? Was that a real brain teaser, or were they just messing with us?

• Love 3
Was that brain teaser even remotely solvable? It didn't seem to have much information to come to an answer. Frankly I'm still not sure what needed to be solved. I think it was the identity of the 12th islander who was not of equal weight? Was that a real brain teaser, or were they just messing with us?

If only Captain Holt knew how to use Google!  Answer from here, which I've check briefly and seems to be correct.  What's not explicitly spelled out, is that if you get A>B in your first weighing, you need to reverse the checks of your C vs D weighing (ie if you get C>D, the heavy ball is in {1,2,3})

12 Balls, 3 Weighings: Label the balls {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12}. Weigh A={1,2,3,4} against B={5,6,7,8}. Use A< B to denote A is lighter than B.

If A< B (a similar situation if A> B) let C={1,2,3,5} and D={4,9,10,11}.

If C< D, the faulty (light) ball is in {1,2,3}. Weigh 1 vs. 2 to resolve.

If C=D, the faulty (heavy) ball is in {6,7,8}. Weigh 6 vs. 7 to resolve.

If C> D, then either 5 is heavy or 4 is light. Weigh 5 vs. 12 to resolve.

If A=B then you have the remaining 4 balls {9,10,11,12} and 2 weighings.

Let C={9,10,11} and D={1,2,3} and weigh C vs. D.

If C< D, weigh 9 vs. 10 to determine which ball is light.

If C> D, weigh 9 vs. 10 to determine which ball is heavy.

If C=D, weigh 12 vs. 1 to determine whether it is heavy or light.

• Love 1

Sometimes I can be iffy on Gina, but I like her for the most part. And I was actually fine with her here. Normally I feel bad for Amy whenever Gina makes fun of her, but I was all for it this time. I love Amy, but I hate when a character not only acts like she is smarter than others, but says it too. I don't like it in any character unless arrogance is a big part of their character (ex. House) because it's shown to be irritating. True, it's cause she's competitive and she did apologize in the end, but I was glad Rosa and Gina "solved" it first. Again, I love Amy so I'm glad it was only for this thing.

Even though I did laugh plenty of times, this one wasn't one of my favorites. I think it'll be fine on rewatch, but I've realized that I miss the team actually solving cases. Sure, they're always easy to solve but they're cops and we haven't seen too much of them being cops lately. The standalone bits are fine, but I think there have been too many of them at once. Also, I love Jake but I wish we could see an episode where someone else is the lead. I think the other characters are liked enough that it could work and it'd be nice to see them get a little more screen time.

As for the Parks and Rec comparison, April is one of the reasons I stopped watching the show because I got tired of her being rewarded for her crap behavior. At least Gina sometimes gets called out for her behavior by Amy and Rosa (though not often enough). And the treatment of Jerry was another reason I stopped watching, because it was just mean. At least Hitchcock and Scully have each other, whereas it always looked like Jerry was hated by everyone.

• Love 1

This isn't the first time I've heard this puzzle. I've actually seen it a few places, but the first time was in a Piers Anthony novel. And even though I've read he novel more than once, and they go through the whole thing in detail, I can never remember more of it than you start with a group of 4 weighed against 4.

I liked that at least it didn't turn out that Jake's love made his dad a good guy, and that Jake wasn't all mopey afterward. While he is clearly a terrible dad, Jake has a pretty good life going on, and I'm glad he doesn't forget that.

About Gina... doesn't a comedy where every other major character is basically a wonderful person need someone who's a little nasty for balance? I find Gina entertaining and I think the character fills a role in the B99 universe.

As for the April Ludgate comparisons, I think there's a big difference. I saw April as a shy and insecure person who used cynicism and apathy as a defense mechanism, as in, if you don't care about something, you're not going get hurt by failing. Gina, on the other hand, is a New York stereotype -- strong, cynical, pushy, and self-centered. But both characters have been shown to genuinely care about certain people, which to me makes them ultimately likeable.

• Love 5

Aww... Captain Holt is the dad Jake never had.

Also aww... Boyle is such a good friend even if he's crazy.

If only Captain Holt knew how to use Google!  Answer from here, which I've check briefly and seems to be correct.  What's not explicitly spelled out, is that if you get A>B in your first weighing, you need to reverse the checks of your C vs D weighing (ie if you get C>D, the heavy ball is in {1,2,3})

Ah, thank you. I had the 4 vs 4 part to start, and I had figured out what to do if the first weighing ended up equal, including the tricky part about bringing in balls from the first group as known quantities, but I was lost on what to do if the first group of 4 vs 4 was unequal. 

• Love 1

As soon as the Beyonce tickets were announced as the prize, I wondered why none of the characters tried to just google the answer. I thought maybe Amy wouldn't do it because she had some strict puzzle honor code that would override her competitive need to win, but you know Gina has no such problem!

• Love 4

Scully's not so bad when he's not paired with Hitchcock. That being said, I'm now able to tell them apart. Scully's the fat one, Hitchcock's the bald one. I think the main difference between Scully & Hitchcock and Jerry from Parks and Rec is that Scully & Hitchcock are pretty much pathetic no matter where they are. Jerry was just a sweet guy with an amazing home life with everyone crapping on him at work (sometimes bringing it onto himself).

The other thing about Jerry was that he seemed completely unaffected by everyone's derision; paired with his happy home life, that made it OK, even funny, for me as things went on.

Scully seems to have a reservoir of hidden talents (speaks French, sings) and his mistakes have a childlike aspect (it may be that Joel McKinnon Miller just adds that aspect through his performance) Hitchcock seems more generic to me.

• Love 3

Just a little puzzle nerdery:

There's an easier version of this puzzle, where you know that the outlier is explicitly heavier (or explicitly lighter). You can solve that for up to 27 candidates with three straightforward weighings. Puzzles like that can be used to introduce base 3 counting, and even the balanced ternary representation if you're ambitious.

Not knowing the direction of the fault makes it a lot harder, you've got to realize that you get information by swapping a pair candidates from one side of the scale (see-saw) to the other. This breaks an unconscious rule that people impose on themselves, because they think of the problem as symmetrical and that just switching sides won't help. Swapping only some of the candidates and not others breaks the symmetry. Also realizing that known good candidates can also be useful is key.

Neither of these insights is necessary to solve the easy version of the puzzle (that's why it's easier). 

• Love 2
(edited)

Hitchcock is bald just as the director Alfred Hitchcock, so that's how I remember.

The big difference between Gina and April for me is Gina is narcissistic and vain, which can be very fun.  I disagree that April didn't have redeeming qualities, she loved Andy, Ron and April, liked Donna and Tom and Ben, and even Jerry she would be nice too on a rare occasion.

As for the April Ludgate comparisons, I think there's a big difference. I saw April as a shy and insecure person who used cynicism and apathy as a defense mechanism, as in, if you don't care about something, you're not going get hurt by failing. Gina, on the other hand, is a New York stereotype -- strong, cynical, pushy, and self-centered. But both characters have been shown to genuinely care about certain people, which to me makes them ultimately likeable.

I agree with that. Donna said in the last season April was Like Ben would ask her for help and she'd say no but then would still help. She can be mean just to be mean but be eventually nice later. Gina is always mean but I do see where it comes from. Amy can be a little too "miss know it all" "teacher's pet" and Boyle can be just clingy and weird. Also, they're freaking cops for gods sake, they should have thicker skin.

Edited by VCRTracking

While I definitely laughed a lot during this episode, the only emotional beat that worked was at the end when Holt complimented Jake. I missed the Holt flashbacks. I wish we'd found out earlier that he couldn't solve the puzzle so we could have seen his expression through the years when he would meet his old captain and keep getting the answer wrong. Deadpan Holt, especially 70s and 80s deadpan Holt always makes me smile.

• Love 1
(edited)

that doesn't mean they're not friends.

Typically people are nice to their friends. At least some of the time.

About Gina... doesn't a comedy where every other major character is basically a wonderful person need someone who's a little nasty for balance?

No. Cheers, Friends, Frasier never did. Seinfeld did but Newman was the enemy...not someone seen as a friend (by Jerry)

Edited by wingster55
  • Love 2
(edited)

What friendships? Other than Jake she's consistently mean and disrespectful to everyone...especially Amy. Which is the worst because Amy is the best.

While this last episode was not the best example of it, I think it is fair to say that she is friends with Terry. And, on a purely social basis, she is probably the closest person to Diaz in all the Nine Nine. By which I mean Gina ranks near the bottom on the list of people Rosa wants to punch in the face.

I know, neither example will get Gina into the BFF Hall of Fame, but I think they qualify as friendships.

I do agree she is nothing but mean to Amy. And she treats Boyle like an ashtray. But hey, no ones perfect.

No. Cheers, Friends, Frasier never did

Cheers had Carla, who was a total bitch.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 3

I don't know what little moment made me laugh harder: Gina fantasizing about the island of Tyreses, or that Boyle tells his dad that Jake is the best detective in the precinct.  It was the delivery on "He doesn't need me to tell him; he KNOWS it" that really sold it for me.  

• Love 5
(edited)
What friendships? Other than Jake she's consistently mean and disrespectful to everyone...especially Amy. Which is the worst because Amy is the best.

Oh Ugh.  This just proves how subjective this stuff is.  Gina's one of my favourite characters.  Amy is the worst.

I think that Chelsea Peretti is very funny.  I love her line deliveries.  Amy / Fumero do absolutely zero for me.

No. Cheers, Friends, Frasier never did

And Friends had Phoebe, who was mostly an asshole towards Ross and Chandler, which was never funny to me.  I would also argue that George on Seinfeld is pretty bad towards his own friends, too.  Jerry too.  That was kind of the point of the show.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Great ep.

Of course Holt is the best.

Terry (I think): Joining us for lunch, sir?

Holt: No, I've already consumed the required calories for the day period.

Jake: Oh hey, Captain Holt, come meet my dad, Captain Peralta.

Dad: Hello, Captain.
Holt: Captain.

(pause as both look at Jake)
Jake: This is super weird for me.
Holt: Captain.
Dad: Captain.

A teeter totter of taunts.

Holt: Boyle. Release him.

Loved when Boyle said to Jake, "I'm just being wary." I also loved how Boyle rolled his eyes has Jake and his dad hugged.

At the restaurant where the servers came out to sing to Jake and his dad, the subtitles were bizarre and hilarious:

Your age mountain

add sausage sausage

Jake to his dad: You're the best pilot in the world I guess without knowing anything about the field.

The ending when Holt tells Jake he's proud of him was very sweet, and Jake's face really sold it.

I loved the slo-mo when Jake and Charles walked out in uniform, and then the slo-mo when Scully walks to the bathroom. I also liked the callback to Scully being left behind. I'd forgotten about him too.

Amy: Don't just tease my brain, sir. Really go to town on it.

So funny when Amy asks Holt if he's nervous about seeing the puzzle guy the next day, then Holt sarcastically thanks her for bringing it up, and Amy guzzled her drink.

• Love 7

Bianca, we hardly knew ye.

Oh Ugh.  This just proves how subjective this stuff is.  Gina's one of my favourite characters.  Amy is the worst.

Heresy! I was fine with Gina getting this win though. It helps that I don't like Beyonce, so the stakes were minimal from my point of view.

Great ep.

Of course Holt is the best.

Terry (I think): Joining us for lunch, sir?

Holt: No, I've already consumed the required calories for the day period.

I loved the slo-mo when Jake and Charles walked out in uniform, and then the slo-mo when Scully walks to the bathroom. I also liked the callback to Scully being left behind. I'd forgotten about him too.

What killed me about Holt's line was Rosa's sarcastic followup of "....Sounds delicious."

And god, I realize this is shallow, but even though that pilot's uniform was too small in the jacket, Andy Samberg looked really, really good in it.  

• Love 5

Ed`s the Asian one and Larry is the white one.

Or as they themselves said, "it doesn't matter". :)

This wasn't the best episode, but I love Bradley Whitford playing a douchebag. He's got an innate smugness that can be charming, but is also perfect for a character like Captain Peralta. I felt so bad for Peralta, who has such a neediness to him at times, and deserves a good father figure. So it's great that he finally has one, in Captain Holt. I really like the way their relationship has evolved.

"Turgidol"? Really, guys?

Amy, Terry, Rosa and Holt were stuck in a real fucking dud, this week. The puzzle was boring, the stakes were thoroughly unimpressive and the payoff was non-existent. Gina's horrible. She doesn't have an ounce of the charm necessary to be a complete shit to people and still come off as likeable. And she gets the tickets? Sigh. I hate pet characters.

• Love 3
(edited)
Amy, Terry, Rosa and Holt were stuck in a real fucking dud, this week. The puzzle was boring, the stakes were thoroughly unimpressive and the payoff was non-existent. Gina's horrible. She doesn't have an ounce of the charm necessary to be a complete shit to people and still come off as likeable. And she gets the tickets? Sigh. I hate pet characters.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. And it wouldn't bug me so much if this nasty, obnoxious, conceited-with-oh-so-very-little-reason-to-be character also happened to be amusing to me, but I think Gina and the actress who plays her suck. I mean, her advising someone to "suck an egg" passes for sage and clever wit?! I get that mileages vary, but I can't stand her. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 3

I liked Gina's remark about how Bianca made Boyle look like he was cleaning a drain with his mouth! She was right. 

I'm not a fan of the goatee in general and think most men look ridiculous in them, but I didn't like Boyle's co-workers forcibly shaving him. If he wants to look ridiculous, he has every right to.

• Love 2

Was I the only one who expected the whole thing to be some elaborate scam on Jake's dad's part?

As far as the Gina versus P&R's April goes, I actually find Rosa more similar to the April character - like April, she doesn't smile much and pretends not to care, but clearly does. Gina's almost like Phoebe was towards the end of Friends, has a good heart but life made her a little quirky and sometimes mean. I think both April and Rosa try acting tougher and meaner than they really are, whereas Gina doesn't necessarily intend to be nasty, but just does not have a filter.

I have to admit I do wish two of the female characters seemed like friends, since we get Jake and Charles (Boyle). I just liked P&R so much for that, though apart from Leslie and Ann, I guess the female characters never really had much of a relationship until towards the end either. (And I mean, they work together, I'm not best buds with my fellow female colleagues - or male ones, for that matter).

• Love 1

Forgot about Carla...but she was only rude to two people..everyone else she was either nice to or simply sarcastic.

Also unlike Gina she had the absolute worst life (slight exaggeration)

To me, Scully/Hitchcock don't have many real similarities to Gary/Jerry/whatever. Scully and Hitchock are really legitimately strange, gross, and are both seemingly a mess both at work and off the clock. Garry was the nicest guy in the world, who sometimes bumbled things up at work, so everyone made fun of him. Outside of work, he had this amazing, perfect home life and family, and at home he had it totally together. He even had some really honest emotional moments, like when he told Leslie that he was alright with not accomplishing much in his professional career, because he wanted to spend more time with his family. I don't see them doing anything like that with S/H. But maybe they will, who knows? 

So...when did Andy Samberg did kind of hot? He was seriously working that pilots uniform. Like, dang. It helps that I feel like he has legitimately grown as an actor a lot, or maybe he was always good, he just didn't have many opportunities to go beyond his Samberg stuff. His speech to his dad, then later his reaction to Holt, were pretty affecting.

Gina can be used for good or bad. I have warmed up to her a lot, but I can get why some people wouldn't like her. I would like to see Amy get one over her for once.  

• Love 4

So...when did Andy Samberg did kind of hot? He was seriously working that pilots uniform. Like, dang. It helps that I feel like he has legitimately grown as an actor a lot, or maybe he was always good, he just didn't have many opportunities to go beyond his Samberg stuff. His speech to his dad, then later his reaction to Holt, were pretty affecting.

I think it's the hair. On SNL when he first he had that shaggy hair which made him look like a 15-year old  boy.

• Love 5

I didn't like Boyle's co-workers forcibly shaving him. If he wants to look ridiculous, he has every right to.

If this were anything but a sitcom (and one that isn't afraid to routinely sacrifice realism in the service of comedy), that would actually be a really horrible, bullying thing to do.

In some ways, Boyle is a better comparison to Parks 'n Rec Jerry than Scully is. Because Boyle's personal life, interests, and fashion choices are usually treated with automatic and excessive derision by his peers. (Like Jerry, he is unfazed by all that).

• Love 1

If this were anything but a sitcom (and one that isn't afraid to routinely sacrifice realism in the service of comedy), that would actually be a really horrible, bullying thing to do.

In some ways, Boyle is a better comparison to Parks 'n Rec Jerry than Scully is. Because Boyle's personal life, interests, and fashion choices are usually treated with automatic and excessive derision by his peers. (Like Jerry, he is unfazed by all that).

Yeah, I agree that Brooklyn Nine Nine gets a pass on it because it sacrifices realism all the time, and because the characters are largely a bunch of warm, cuddly, likeable types, who have been shown to like each other and to like Charles. When The League did their storyline about Taco quitting weed and then becoming really smart, the rest of the group conspiring to get him hooked on weed again (eventually forcibly exposing him to the smoke), to stop him being good at fantasy football, really felt gross to me. I don't think I ever enjoyed the show fully again after that. But those characters were a bunch of mean, misanthropic, self-centred dicks, a lot of the time.

• Love 2

Why did Jake's father's pilot uniforms fit Jake and Boyle so well?  They should have been baggy on both, and way too long for Boyle.

Edited by Driad

I think Boyle tried to explain away some of the ill-fitting aspects by muttering, "Stomach staple." But you're right. Neither uniform would have fit as well as they did on Jake or Boyle.

I wonder about the backstory with regard to the Wanda name tag.