Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Captain Peralta

• Start Topic

Scully's not so bad when he's not paired with Hitchcock. That being said, I'm now able to tell them apart. Scully's the fat one, Hitchcock's the bald one. I think the main difference between Scully & Hitchcock and Jerry from Parks and Rec is that Scully & Hitchcock are pretty much pathetic no matter where they are. Jerry was just a sweet guy with an amazing home life with everyone crapping on him at work (sometimes bringing it onto himself).

I've got a love/hate relationship with Gina. I think she's funny, but man can she get overbearing with the bitchiness. At least April was just apathetic.

Different strokes for different folks because I love both Gina and April.  I think that sarcastic, mean twinge to both of them is a benefit to both shows.  I often find the comments each character makes so sharp and unexpected that it surprises me and gets the best laugh.  

So...when did Andy Samberg did kind of hot? He was seriously working that pilots uniform. Like, dang. It helps that I feel like he has legitimately grown as an actor a lot, or maybe he was always good, he just didn't have many opportunities to go beyond his Samberg stuff. His speech to his dad, then later his reaction to Holt, were pretty affecting.

Me?  I've always felt Samberg was all kinds of hot.  

• Love 1

I thought Boyle actually looked better with the goatee.

I kept expecting to find out that Peralta's dad was just pretending to be a pilot. Once again this show doesn't go the obvious route.  Bravo. Although I love Bradley Whitford and that ending looks like we won't be seeing much more of him on this show.  So downside.  

• Love 1

I did not recognize Bradley Whitord at all. I had to check later and see who that vaguely familiar looking actor was. He even looks shorter than I remember!

Ugh, that contest was a dog of a storyline. The only highlight was Terry and the doughnuts. I absolutely refuse to believe that Gina could not have google'd the answer in order to get her precious Beyonce tickets. I have no problem with Amy being competitive but the smug "I'm smarter than you and we all know it" was very off putting. I guess it's good that she's not a Mary Sue but still...

Is it wrong that I wanted Jake's dad to be guilty of smuggling? Regardless, I was very proud of Jake for finally saying 'enough is enough' with his dad. And bless Boyle for being so protective of his friend. Such a sweetheart.

• Love 2

I thought Boyle actually looked better with the goatee.

Me too. {shrugs} He has kind of a pasty round face, and sometimes some facial hair actually helps define a face. (Beard geek alert: that's technically not a goatee. A goatee is just the chin beard, with no mustache. It's not a Van Dyke either; that's when the mustache and goatee are separated. What he was sporting is called a circle beard.)

"Turgidol"? Really, guys?

And I just got that. LOL.

Terry and the doughnuts was hysterical.

Just caught the episode.  Fun seeing Bradley Whitford as Jake's dad, and he did a good job at making him come off like a pathetic, sleazeball, that should be thankful that his son turned out to be a way better man then him.  I felt for Jake when he was ignoring the obvious signs that he was a bad dad, and thought Andy Samberg gave a nice performance during all that.  But, they still made it funny with Boyle in major BFF mode, and those two (and Scully!), in Canada.  Either way, I liked how it ended with Jake maturely but firmly telling his dad not to call him anymore unless he shapes up, and then going to his true father figure, Holt.  I really do love the Jake/Holt relationship.  An odd comparison, but they remind me of Phil/Will on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and how Phil was more of a father to Will, then his real father ever was.

I laughed a lot during the B-plot, but couldn't enjoy it fully because a) I kept wondering why didn't Holt or, really, anyone try Google the answer and b) I called Gina winning as soon as it happened.  I hate to make assumptions, but I really do think Gina is a favorite of the writers, and I sometimes feel like this show always makes her come out ahead.  Even when she doesn't, it's usually because she allows herself to loose or it's dealt with in the background.  It's not enough to make me too upset, but I'm just getting a bit tired of "Gina surprises everyone."  Especially since, nine times out of ten, Amy's the one who is the biggest loser against her, and I hate that.

But, hey, it had Terry eating a bunch of donuts much to Amy's chagrin, so I'm back to laughing.  I want more Terry/Amy.

It was obvious, but I still laughed at Scully being left back in the airport.  And, I loved how quickly Holt said yes to letting him go with Jake/Boyle.  I love that Holt is annoyed with Scully/Hitchcock as much as everyone else is.

• Love 3

Just caught the episode.  Fun seeing Bradley Whitford as Jake's dad, and he did a good job at making him come off like a pathetic, sleazeball, that should be thankful that his son turned out to be a way better man then him.  I felt for Jake when he was ignoring the obvious signs that he was a bad dad, and thought Andy Samberg gave a nice performance during all that.  But, they still made it funny with Boyle in major BFF mode, and those two (and Scully!), in Canada.  Either way, I liked how it ended with Jake maturely but firmly telling his dad not to call him anymore unless he shapes up, and then going to his true father figure, Holt.  I really do love the Jake/Holt relationship.  An odd comparison, but they remind me of Phil/Will on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and how Phil was more of a father to Will, then his real father ever was.

I laughed a lot during the B-plot, but couldn't enjoy it fully because a) I kept wondering why didn't Holt or, really, anyone try Google the answer and b) I called Gina winning as soon as it happened.  I hate to make assumptions, but I really do think Gina is a favorite of the writers, and I sometimes feel like this show always makes her come out ahead.  Even when she doesn't, it's usually because she allows herself to loose or it's dealt with in the background.  It's not enough to make me too upset, but I'm just getting a bit tired of "Gina surprises everyone."  Especially since, nine times out of ten, Amy's the one who is the biggest loser against her, and I hate that.

But, hey, it had Terry eating a bunch of donuts much to Amy's chagrin, so I'm back to laughing.  I want more Terry/Amy.

It was obvious, but I still laughed at Scully being left back in the airport.  And, I loved how quickly Holt said yes to letting him go with Jake/Boyle.  I love that Holt is annoyed with Scully/Hitchcock as much as everyone else is.

I thought of Fresh Prince too.  The episode where Will's father comes back and then leaves again always makes me cry.  Honestly, as odd/annoying as the Pinkett-Smith family becomes, I cannot fully hate on Will Smith because of my residual Fresh Prince love.  Back to B99, I enjoyed Jake jumping on the allowance thing with Holt.  Rationally, I think Jake would annoy me but I simultaneously love him.  And kind of want to jump him.

I also loved Holt thanking Jake for doing him a "favour" by taking Scully away.

• Love 3

For me the "Suck an Egg" line wasn't amusing because Gina said it, but because Holt adopted it as an acceptable response. The humor is set up by Gina's character and then driven home by seeing how easily stoic Holt can be reduced to Pettiness. I like that they've explored that this season, whether it was Wuntch; Getting Revenge on Jake's Halloween Prank; or this.

I like the April and Gina characters to mix things up and having the Scully/Hitchcock Jerry/Kyle characters that get picked on. The sweetness of both B99 and Parks & Rec is one of their defining characteristics, but they'd slide into purely sentimental schlock for me if there wasn't some offset to all the sweetness (The final episodes of Parks & Rec trended into this territory but got a pass due to the show wrapping up.

I think Chelsea Peretti kills it as the self involved Gen-Y-er that's not quite ready to grow up. As much as Amy is a caricature of over-achievers; Gina is a caricature of the slacker "do the least I have to do for my job and go home" types.

For me the "Suck an Egg" line wasn't amusing because Gina said it, but because Holt adopted it as an acceptable response. The humor is set up by Gina's character and then driven home by seeing how easily stoic Holt can be reduced to Pettiness. I like that they've explored that this season, whether it was Wuntch; Getting Revenge on Jake's Halloween Prank; or this.

Well, Holt is good at... emotion.

This might be better for the Jake thread, but I was watching the Thanksgiving episode, and it made me wonder... do we know what happened to Jake's mother? She's not mentioned in the Thanksgiving episode, and she's not mentioned here either (though I guess bringing up your estranged wife would be awkward). Is she deceased, or just... not around?

Why did Jake's father's pilot uniforms fit Jake and Boyle so well?  They should have been baggy on both, and way too long for Boyle.

I actually thought they did a pretty good job of showing it didn't fit Boyle at all - when he walked out, you can see the pants collecting by his ankles, the jacket is way too long, and he's holding the pants up in the back.  

For some reason, I completely accepted that Jake's jacket and pants were too small (you could see him tugging at the jacket, the sleeves were too short, and the pants were a smidge too short) when you're right, they both should've been too big.  I think I got distracted by how good he looked in it.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1
No. Cheers, Friends, Frasier never did.

I know Carla has been pointed out, but I personally think Monica on Friends was a neurotic bitch from season 5 and onward. 

Edited by Duke2801

Just a little puzzle nerdery:

There's an easier version of this puzzle, where you know that the outlier is explicitly heavier (or explicitly lighter). You can solve that for up to 27 candidates with three straightforward weighings. Puzzles like that can be used to introduce base 3 counting, and even the balanced ternary representation if you're ambitious.

Not knowing the direction of the fault makes it a lot harder, you've got to realize that you get information by swapping a pair candidates from one side of the scale (see-saw) to the other. This breaks an unconscious rule that people impose on themselves, because they think of the problem as symmetrical and that just switching sides won't help. Swapping only some of the candidates and not others breaks the symmetry. Also realizing that known good candidates can also be useful is key.

Neither of these insights is necessary to solve the easy version of the puzzle (that's why it's easier). 

That's why I can't believe that it would take that long a time to figure it out. Especially if we're talking about rather smart people who should be quite familiar with deductive logic. The hard version, I can see why it would take some time, but Holt should've figured that one out in five minutes.

That's why I can't believe that it would take that long a time to figure it out. Especially if we're talking about rather smart people who should be quite familiar with deductive logic. The hard version, I can see why it would take some time, but Holt should've figured that one out in five minutes.

Definitely, it's a stretch that Holt never figured it out in all these years. But everyone has blind spots, I guess. And there was a comedic pay off to this one bit of implausibility. (It's probably a bigger stretch that NO ONE, including Holt, tried to google it).