Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Mama's Here Now

Kinda of slow at first, but it got interesting and as usual it had a final exciting twist. 

Nate naked was breathtaking. That man is beautiful, too beautiful for prison. Annalise has got to get him off.

Cecily Tyson annoyed me at first, but I thought she improved as the episode went along. I was not surprised that Annalise had been raped as a child. At least, Annalise could be comforted that her mother killed the man who raped her. Now that is how you get away with murder. Her mother was right that she should not have gotten romantically involved with Sam.

Wes is being paranoid. I don't believe that Rebecca killed Lila. Oh well, we will know for certain soon enough. It is possible Rudy killed Lila though. I had not considered that possibility, but I still think that it was likely Annalise. 

The show has got to stop pretending that Oliver is homely because he is a good looking guy who would attract his fair share of guys. Connor and Oliver are so sweet together. I hope that Connor loves him. I would hate for Oliver's heart to be broken.

Yay, Bonnie jumped Asher sober. I hope that she does not reject or hurt him again. He was so ridiculous doing his hump dance in the house, but very sweet when he was comparing her to Ali.

• Love 15

I love that Viola takes off her wig and makeup.....most actors would never do that. The guy that plays Nate is goodlooking, Annaliese needs to get him out of jail. Tired of the "gang" talking about everything all the time where ever they are.I am ready for the mystery to be solved.....wonder how this will work with a second season???

• Love 10

Well hell, as much as I hate her and would love for her to be guilty, I feel like making it so glaring this episode means it's unlikely Rebecca really did kill Lila. But maybe the writers will REALLY, REALLY love me and go for the obvious anyway. That said, whether she turns out to have killed Lila or not, it's clear Rebecca knows WAY more about Lila's murder than she's been saying. And my guess is she, Griffin and Rudy were somehow all involved in some way or know something. And whatever it was, it was enough to mess with Rudy enough that he's had a complete psychotic breakdown.

Still, it does sort of seem like they're hinting that Rebecca might have manipulated him into killing Lila for her which later caused him to snap, maybe from guilt or whatever and he either OD'ed on his own or she tried to kill him to shut him up, because he was a risk. And then she met Wes who moved right next door, in the same apartment and got him to get rid of Sam for her. Because he was the perfect person to pin the murder on because he'd been having an affair with Lila, a fact she knew. Bias of never liking Rebecca aside, I really, really want her to be guilty just because it really would be the epitome of this show's title. That unwashed, faux-emo, seeming white trash worked a massive con and got all these so called brilliant law students to screw themselves. Hell, she even manipulated Annalise who clearly, far as I can tell, has no suspicion that Rebecca may have really killed Lila. 

So Annalise's real name is Anna Mae - how very Tina Turner of her. Damn that was some intense shit between her and her mother. I guess that's how Annalise got so good at helping people get away with murder - her mother's apparently been doing it for years. Their relationship was so twisted and fucked up but fascinating to watch. Cicely Tyson was awesome and I did laugh at her crack about Wes, after he left the room, because of so many people who have commented on the awkward sexual tension between Annalise and Wes.

The case of the week was a little weak but I was happy for Bonnie to get that win. Don't know about her hooking up with Asher and Frank's bemused reaction to them going at it right in the parking garage was hilarious. That said, I can sort of see why she got a little overcome. Asher really was the only one truly respecting her as the lead council, unlike the others who clearly didn't think Bonnie was up to task. And he did help break the case in the end. I also love how Asher, while totally a moron, is like the most laid back and calm person there because dude is the one person with truly nothing to hide. 

So as predicted, Annalise is going to figure out a way to get Nate off and I'm glad she got out of bed long enough to get to Michaela because that girl was on the fast track to putting suspicion on them. I got where she was coming from and it was nice to see that she does have a heart and isn't all about looking out for number one but she was really not acting very smart. And I had to eyeroll when she asked Laurel when she'd ever done anything stupid. Um, Michaela that would be when all of you idiots allowed yourselves to be murderers/accessories to murder. 

Connor and Oliver were cute and the other students' exaggerated reactions to meeting him was hilarious. Still, everytime Connor mentions that drug addict lie I roll my eyes again at the sheer and utter stupidity of that storyline. Why Connor just didn't tell Oliver he was trying to stay up so he could study as long as possible and took something he had a really bad reaction to, I will never understand.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8

Every scene between Cicely and Viola was awesome. I could have watched an entire hour of those too. The final scene, when her mother is combing her hair, you could literally see Annalise regress back to being Anna May. Fucking magical.

Bonnie was interesting in this episode too. Clearly, she has a huge inferiority complex where Annalise is concerned. Her yelling at the kiddies to not talk back to her since they would never talk back to Annalise was gold. Also, her and Asher? I kind of ship it.

I loved the rest of the Murder 4 meeting Oliver. None of them are really friends but it was very sweet of them to do that for Connor.

Ok, now I don't think Rebecca killed Lila. With a two-hour finale next week, there's gonna be at least a couple more twists in this thing before it's over.

During the scene where Annalise's mother left the stove on to confront Annalise, I thought the house was going to burn down and thought, well, that's one way to get rid of evidence.

• Love 15

Wow. I thought Cicely Tyson and Viola Davis were wonderful together. I think Cicely Tyson did a great job giving Annaliese a in depth background. The scene where she talked about killing Annaliese rapist was very powerful.

Nate must be set free. Soon, and he must be shirtless.

I still don't trust Rebecca. Why is she tracking Scooby's phone?

I'm happy for Asher and Ms. Winterbottom!

I'm happy that Connor seems to be growing up!

Edited by Queena
  • Love 13

Cicely Tyson was everything in this episode.

Yay, Bonnie jumped Asher sober. I hope that she does not reject or hurt him again. He was so ridiculous doing his hump dance in the house, but very sweet when he was comparing her to Ali.

Now that Frank knows about them, I think he might pressure Asher to string her along or use it has leverage over Bonnie.

Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 2

I was finally getting on board the Rebecca/Wes train, then it looks like she`s shady after all. I still don't think she killed Lila though. No way would they reveal all that before the finale. 

Connor and Oliver are just so freaking cute it makes my teeth hurt. In a good way. I loved Oliver saying that they murder posse are obviously friends, then they're enthusiasm to finally meet him. Michaela was adorable in that scene. Her and Connor just need to become BFFs already. 

A lot of talk about rape in this episode. Not sure what exactly we were supposed to take out of all of it. 

Annalises real name is Anna Mae? Interesting.

I cracked up when Bonnie was yelling at everyone to listen to her, and then Annalises Mom shows up, and sends everyone scampering around picking stuff up, yes mam`ing all over. Smart choice guys.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

Nate naked was breathtaking. That man is beautiful, too beautiful for prison. Annalise has got to get him off.

Literally.

"Your boss came out of my V and her daddy's D" has now topped "Why is your penis on a dead girl's phone?" as the best line ever said on this show.

No way did Rebecca kill Lila, but she is DEFINITELY involved as some sort of accomplice or something.

Someone major will die next week, I have a feeling.

Edited by Geeni
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Nate needs to get out of jail, then be put in a museum because he's body is a work of art if I ever saw one.

Rebecca is shady as hell, and maybe a little crazy. I'm not sure if I believe she killed Rebecca directly, but I think she knows more than she's letting on.

Cicely Tyson was incredible. Her explaining how she killed Annalise's rapist was chilling I did, however, crackup at how she got everyone hopping and yes ma'ming.

Oliver and Connor are everything. I, too, wish the show would stop acting as if Oliver is unattractive, he's a very cute guy. I thought Connor was adorable when he was waiting for Oliver to show up at the bar and even more adorable when he put Oliver to bed.

• Love 10
Was anyone else wishing that Nate would turn around !!!!!! Anyone .

Ha!  You're more of a visionary than I am!  I could only think that I wish he would drop his hands.

Sorry.  Constant pervert moments.  I know.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

I couldn't believe it when Connor mentioned in THE BAR that the gang had to pretend he had a drug problem so that Oliver wouldn't know that they had killed Sam. Well, Oliver might not know, but I'm sure the rest of the bar does now!

Laurel seems kind of attached to Wes. Now I'm wondering if she's had a crush on him all along, and Frank was some kind of diversion.

I hate Rebecca so much I'm strangely hoping that she did kill Lila, even if putting the target on her this week was a little too obvious. If she did, I figure I won't have to deal with her next season and her annoyingly chipper line readings when everybody is talking about how to get away with murder.

Edited by bantering
  • Love 4

I actually am starting to think this whole thing is about Rebecca being some kind of wizard puppet master. This entire show has almost mislead us into believing that the murder someone was going to get away with is Sam's murder, but I am thinking that we are being steered towards 1 hour next week wrapping that part up and a second hour showing us exactly how she managed to pull it all off.

If that is how they choose to wrap up the season, it could set a great precedent for future seasons of this show. It has you guessing what murder is the true, shockingly effective, brilliantly executed one. Not to mention, it is clear she is tracking Wes' cell phone, so it is entirely possible that she planted that travel itinerary on Sam's computer the night he was killed to seal the deal.

Overall, this episode was incredibly intriguing. It struck a good balance in character development, plot development, and some overall good acting.

"Anna Mae" has the most amazing mother. Every scene she was in was fantastic and the one at the end with the hair-brushing was phenomenally well done.

Still, I cannot get over this potentiality that Rebecca has been sandbagging us on screen the whole time with her petulant attitude and general annoyance only to pull the rug out from under the others in the show and the audience as well.

Crazy it would be. Crazy awesome.

• Love 10

I thought she said, "I'm a VIP. Your boss came out of my V and her Daddy's P." -- ?

That is what she said.

Loved Cicely Tyson so much. Hopefully she will make a return appearance.

Unlike the rest of you, I can't stand Connor. He doesn't have a single redeeming quality as a human being. While Michaela is on the road to a nervous breakdown that will ensnare them all, at least she cares about an innocent man going to jail for their crime. That worthless dickwad Connor could care less. He is totally the student who needs to lose it all by series end (assuming the students return next season) because the blueprint for nothing but pure evil has been laid for this guy. I lost so much respect for Oliver for taking this loser back, he deserves and can do so much better, too bad he doesn't seem to know this.

Waaaaaaaaay too much Bonnie this episode. Neither the actress nor the character holds my interest for kore tha two seconds (this is why I didn't recognize her from Scandal, she makes zero impact).

Same goes for Asher. I can only take that privileged moron in small doses. I mean is his character there to remind us how undeserving the people of privilege are of the things their parents' money affords them because he makes Connor acceptable in comparison and Connor, as noted above is a horrible human being.

Wes continues to amaze with his cluelessness about Rebecca. I can't even muster sympathy for him at this point because really, is Rebecca his first contact with a member of the opposite sex, must be becuase nothing else explains his fascination with this chick.

When this show started who would have thought that Frank would turn out to be the most interesting character aside from Annalise. I think every other character but these two are expendable in terms of storyline because they are the true MVPs.

• Love 2

Unlike the rest of you, I can't stand Connor. He doesn't have a single redeeming quality as a human being. While Michaela is on the road to a nervous breakdown that will ensnare them all, at least she cares about an innocent man going to jail for their crime.

I was actually confused by this because last week, Michaela was the one who was just fine with Nate being arrested, while Connor was the one who seemed upset by it.

• Love 3

Cicely Tyson and Viola Davis were great together. I guess the "how to get away with murder" gene Annalise gets from her mom. Surprised she has multiple siblings. 

Frank sure knows and sees all. He should call Bonnie a hypocrite after all the "no students" lectures he got. 

• Love 3

I was actually confused by this because last week, Michaela was the one who was just fine with Nate being arrested, while Connor was the one who seemed upset by it.

Yeah, I was perplexed too. I thought Connor's facial expressions of showing conflict were good last week, but this week I wasn't sure what happened.

Maybe Laurel killed Lila. Just kidding. Sort of. She just seems way too thrilled that Nate is taking the fall. And seems to get off on covering up a murder in the first place.

I continue to be baffled as to why Oliver thinks he's ugly.  It's good to be humble, but I worry about Oliver's vision.

Edited by bantering
  • Love 3

I thought you guys might want to see something relevant to this episode?  Might help us figure out .. um... plot of... murders..?

nate.jpg

Come on ABC, you showed us Dennis Franz's ass every chance you got in the 90's, a little peek at Nate's won't kill us.

• Love 6

Nate really is beautiful. Him sitting by himself in the cell made me cry- he better be back next season.

So I was the only one who thought Asher and Bonnie were hot? More of them please.

Annalise and her mom were amazing. All of their scenes were screaming Emmy material.

That would be nuts if Rebecca was behind all of this, especially after Wes killed Sam to protect her. She is definitely shady, though.

Oliver is so cute, especially when he was drunk and trying to sleep with Conner. I agree that this show needs to stop with him thinking he's not cute enough.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 5

"Now, you ain't got no husband. You ain't got no boyfriend..." Hilarious.

I knew as soon as I heard Cicely's accent that Annalise was really Anna Mae. She was the mother Tina Turner should've had.

I know a lot of people worship at the feet of Shonda, but I think I've seen enough of her shows to know that this portrayal of a black woman is due to the woman they have in Viola Davis, not anything to do with Shonda. Viola is the one that brings the real black woman out and the life and background from which she sprang onto this show.

Now, I don't believe any black woman would have her hair as matted down as it was in the take off the wig scene, we'd have it better tended to, but tonight, when Cicely not only did Anna's hair, but Anna sat down on the floor for her to do it? That took millions of former, little black girls back to the many times their mother did their hair and that just didn't happen in the many years of opportunity that Shonda has had with her other black characters on TV. Shonda has fed more stereotypes or simply, conveniently made them "not that kind of black" characters.

Viola is the only reason why this show is still on the air and the way that Annalise is on the show.

Regarding Annalise and Wes, I really don't see anything sexual between them. He is that dude that will probably always be attracted to non-black women, however, Annalise is definitely someone that reminds him of the mother that he lost and Wes is the child Annalise never had. Even when she gave him that weak seduction in the first episode, she couldn't pull it completely off because it was always something else there for her when it came to Wes.

• Love 19

I agree.  The acting is transcending a lot on this show. 

I give them credit for the mysteries though, I don't have them figured out. 

Viola really deserves a better show, with a little more attention to details, this could have been the show she deserves.

Still, I like it.

• Love 7

He could have a little more body fat and hair for my taste, but that's nitpicking. He looks damn fine.

Wes is being paranoid. I don't believe that Rebecca killed Lila. Oh well, we will know for certain soon enough. It is possible Rudy killed Lila though. I had not considered that possibility, but I still think that it was likely Annalise.

I already wrote in the last episode thread that I think there is a good chance that Rebecca somehow got Rudy to do her killing for her, just like she got Wes to do the same.

But now that they are setting us on that track I think it might be a little too early in the season for that. On the other hand, maybe the rest of the season is navigating that fact.

The show has got to stop pretending that Oliver is homely because he is a good looking guy who would attract his fair share of guys. Connor and Oliver are so sweet together. I hope that Connor loves him. I would hate for Oliver's heart to be broken.

Agreed on all counts!

Wet = marijuana with PCP, which could explain Rudy's state.

What are the chances that Rebecca gave him a "normal joint" after he murdered Lila for her to "calm him down"?

Cicely Tyson was awesome and I did laugh at her crack about Wes, after he left the room, because of so many people who have commented on the awkward sexual tension between Annalise and Wes.

Uh gross, he's her son! (that's my newest theory and I'm sticking to it.)

Almost seems like somebody accidentally switched their parts in the script. Edited by Miles
Unlike the rest of you, I can't stand Connor. He doesn't have a single redeeming quality as a human being. While Michaela is on the road to a nervous breakdown that will ensnare them all, at least she cares about an innocent man going to jail for their crime. That worthless dickwad Connor could care less. He is totally the student who needs to lose it all by series end (assuming the students return next season) because the blueprint for nothing but pure evil has been laid for this guy. I lost so much respect for Oliver for taking this loser back, he deserves and can do so much better, too bad he doesn't seem to know this.

YMMV but while I am no massive Connor fan, I disagree that he's this super awful, no redeeming person who is the one who most deserves to lose everything. If that is the case, all these students can qualify in some way in my opinion. Sure this episode, Michaela showed some emotion about Nate taking the fall, but as many noted, either the writers changed their minds or forgot what they just wrote, because that is not what was shown last week when they all heard Nate got arrested. Connor, along with Wes and Laurel had conflicted expressions on their face while Michaela was the one who said emphatically "who cares, Annalise did what she said she would. She's taking care of us." Now granted I guess you can argue that given a few days she started thinking about it more and that explains her change of heart but I'd hardly say Connor has been the only one being callous about an innocent man taking the fall for their crime.

Again Laurel has rarely showed much emotion about any of this and hardly seems particularly broken up about Nate taking the fall for the murder. In fact she went over to Frank to thank him for setting it up. Not to mention that before Wes told them the truth about Annalise knowing what happened, she clearly seemed to be trying to point fingers at Annalise when questioned by the police about Sam missing. So I'm sure she would have gladly taken the police pinning the murder on  Annalise. Laurel sometimes seems as shady to me as Rebecca. Wes too, dumb, doh face or not, hardly seems too broken up about Nate but then again why would he, since this is the guy who while lecturing Annalise on morality, was perfectly okay with Frank planting Lila's phone in Griffin's car to make him look more guilty because it meant saving Rebecca. 

But more than that, Connor has been the one in my opinion, especially in the first two episodes back, who has been the most freaked out and paranoid and honestly acted like a normal person would after being a part of something so heinous. Wes and Laurel often just come across as unemotional cyborgs which I find more disturbing to be honest than a callous comment or two. And Connor was the one who convinced Michaela that they should go to the police and tell the truth. Sure he said most of it could be put on Wes and Rebecca but it wasn't like he was wrong in saying Rebecca did illegally enter Sam's house to get evidence and Wes was the one who fatally whacked Sam. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

I already wrote in the last episode thread that I think there is a good chance that Rebecca somehow got Rudy to do her killing for her, just like she got Wes to do the same. But now that they are setting us on that track I think it might be a little too early in the season for that..

There is one two-hour episode left, if they are going there, the pieces should be being lined up now. Think of all they have to do if they are really wrapping the Sam and Lila deaths up next week. The show runners have promised that the story will be wrapped up and there will be no The Killing trickery of a non-resolved crime.

• Love 1

I love the murder mysteries, the intrigue, and Cicely Tyson schooling those other actors. But I just can't take it seriously with things like Bonnie yelling out "due process!" in court to justify letting in the hearsay of "your ex girlfriend told us....." The writers just throw in random legal words they think sound good and have the characters shout them periodically.

• Love 5

Lots and lots of things packed into this episode. 

First and foremost, Annalise and her mama. I agree with what the consensus was that it was great to see Viola and Cicely play off of each other, to learn a lot more about who Anna is (someone who would legally change her name to sound fancier, someone ashamed of her past, a sexual assault survivor, a former patient of Sam's).

Some thoughts about these reveals:

I'm inferring that Anna Mae came from the South because of her mama's accent and because that seems a Southern name. She also seemed embarrassed about being poor. So all this may give her and Michaela some stuff to bond over. 

It seems to me that as someone who had something indefensible done to her at such a young age, that would likely prime her to be a prosecutor so as to seek justice for other victims rather than a defense attorney to help other victimizers get away with it. 

As for Sam,he's an even bigger sleaze than we previously knew. I'm pretty sure sleeping with a patient could cost him his license precisely because the difference in power is troubling. While it wasn't explicitly said if Anna started seeing him while she was his patient or if they discontinued the psychiatrist/patient relationship first, either way is still scummy.

We've now had Anna have two breakdowns: one over losing Sam and the other over "having" to frame Nate. Maybe it's just me, but I would have liked it spelled out more about what got her so emotional. Yes, I get that both these things are shocking, tough to deal with events. But the potential feelings could be multidimensional. She could be sad that she's still alone, worried that she's going to get her students jailed, missing Sam despite the ugliness of her last encounter with him, reliving old ugliness between her and Sam, feeling guilty she cheated on him, feeling guilty over being glad that Sam's gone, feeling that she's a horrible person for framing Nate, etc. etc. I know the scenes gave Viola stuff for her Emmy reel, but I actually would have preferred no breakdowns.

It also makes me wonder: Hannah was such a fixture the last couple episodes. How is she not lurking around to see that Anna has broken down to the point where she apparently didn't leave the house for a week or two?

Case of the Week: I know that it's an inherent part of TV trials that basically people are finding out basic facts and coming up with theories last minute. But it's pretty ridiculous that apparently Bonnie and Anna (and for that matter, the prosecutor) had no idea that Client of the Week bragged about fucking a patient online before trial started. It's also pretty ridiculous that they didn't explore a consent defense (apparently) until they had no choice but to do so. For better or worse, enough people probably are of the mindset that a woman can't rape a man that you have reasonable doubt. And for God's sake, this happened in a hospital. There would be records of what was in his system, plenty of people to hear an outcry, etc.    

I'm not sure how I feel about the political points the show tries to put in, such as innocent people (particularly black ones) get unjustly convicted all the time, or that men are all about taking. I guess I give the show kudos for being bold enough to even hint that the justice system isn't always just. I can't think of any other court shows off the top of my head to imply that. 

• Love 2

"Now, you ain't got no husband. You ain't got no boyfriend..." Hilarious.

I knew as soon as I heard Cicely's accent that Annalise was really Anna Mae. She was the mother Tina Turner should've had.

I know a lot of people worship at the feet of Shonda, but I think I've seen enough of her shows to know that this portrayal of a black woman is due to the woman they have in Viola Davis, not anything to do with Shonda. Viola is the one that brings the real black woman out and the life and background from which she sprang onto this show.

Now, I don't believe any black woman would have her hair as matted down as it was in the take off the wig scene, we'd have it better tended to, but tonight, when Cicely not only did Anna's hair, but Anna sat down on the floor for her to do it? That took millions of former, little black girls back to the many times their mother did their hair and that just didn't happen in the many years of opportunity that Shonda has had with her other black characters on TV. Shonda has fed more stereotypes or simply, conveniently made them "not that kind of black" characters.

Viola is the only reason why this show is still on the air and the way that Annalise is on the show.

Regarding Annalise and Wes, I really don't see anything sexual between them. He is that dude that will probably always be attracted to non-black women, however, Annalise is definitely someone that reminds him of the mother that he lost and Wes is the child Annalise never had. Even when she gave him that weak seduction in the first episode, she couldn't pull it completely off because it was always something else there for her when it came to Wes.

That scene was so powerful, notonly as a Black woman, but as a victim of rape and incest. If this episode doesn't get an Emmy, I don't know what's wrong with them. The way Annaliese, I won't call her Anna Mae because I understand leaving behind a name that was attached to hurt; reverted back to the scared little child, Viola Davis is amazing.

Did I hear her Mom say that Annaliese was hurt as a child, and that could be the reason she never had kids?

When Cicely Tyson stated how many times men had "took sex" from, my heart broke. There was a time when rape and incest were the norm.

Annaliese went to Sam for counseling for rape, and he said all tgethe right things to heal/make her feel better, and she married him. Was he rescuing her? Did she fall out of love? Obviously she loved him enough to marry him. I would love to know what went wrong. She knew that he was a cheat.

What's the deal with Bonnie and Annaliese?

• Love 9

Uh gross, he's her son! (that's my newest theory and I'm sticking to it.)

It's been my theory for a while too.

I'm not sure how I feel about the political points the show tries to put in, such as innocent people (particularly black ones) get unjustly convicted all the time, or that men are all about taking.

I really don't see how these two points are on the same level, or reflective of attempts to score political points. One, is a statement by a law student well aware of general societal trends  (e.g., differing drug laws for crack vs. cocaine; research on perceived credibility of witnesses by juries, etc.). I don't think it is an assertion completely out of left field. The other was a comment by Annalise's mom (Cicely Tyson) about her own perceptions of the gender roles that men and women play in society - which Annalise was quick to laugh at and dismiss. 

What's the deal with Bonnie and Annaliese?

THIS. I am itching to get this back story . . . but I will happily wait until season 2 for it. I would tune in just for that.

Edited by Beebee111
  • Love 2
I'm not sure how I feel about the political points the show tries to put in, such as innocent people (particularly black ones) get unjustly convicted all the time, or that men are all about taking. I guess I give the show kudos for being bold enough to even hint that the justice system isn't always just. I can't think of any other court shows off the top of my head to imply that.

Well, both are kind of true. 

You are correct, but it could also be that Shonda today is more successful and when you're successful, the network might let you take more chances.  The scene when Annalise's mother was combing her hair because her "kitchen" didn't look right (yes she did say kitchen), might not have been done years ago; but now that Shonda is more successful, scenes like that can be included.  I really loved that scene, it seemed simple but it was a scene that little black girls both older and younger than me, have gone through with their mothers; and it was a scene that, for me, was normalizing a black woman's natural hair.  Too often a black woman's hair is seen as something exotic or different; nice to see a scene where it was just hair.

• Love 13

Every scene between Cicely and Viola was awesome. I could have watched an entire hour of those too. The final scene, when her mother is combing her hair, you could literally see Annalise regress back to being Anna May. Fucking magical.

I'm calling Emmys for both women with that scene... Best Actress and Best Actress in a Guest Starring Role. Or whatever they call the one-time visit Emmys.

What is Rebecca's motivation to kill Lila, her friend? Or to have her killed? We know Rebecca and Lila's boyfriend fought, from the first episode. Rudy was never mentioned until recently. Would the boyfriend pay Rebecca big bucks to kill Lila? Where do Nate and Sam figure in, for framing them for the murder? We know Sam got Lila pregnant, she may have told boyfriend that fact. I'll be on the edge of my seat next week.

I'm intrigued that Rebecca is tracking Wes' every move. And her look of deflation when she figured out where he was.

Oh Frank....the look on his face in the parking lot. He is like a scurrying cockroach, everywhere all the time, just at the right time.

• Love 1

You are correct, but it could also be that Shonda today is more successful and when you're successful, the network might let you take more chances.  The scene when Annalise's mother was combing her hair because her "kitchen" didn't look right (yes she did say kitchen), might not have been done years ago; but now that Shonda is more successful, scenes like that can be included.  I really loved that scene, it seemed simple but it was a scene that little black girls both older and younger than me, have gone through with their mothers; and it was a scene that, for me, was normalizing a black woman's natural hair.  Too often a black woman's hair is seen as something exotic or different; nice to see a scene where it was just hair.

I loved that scene. The way it was presented especially. Nothing was explained or overdone, it was just a mother/daughter scene which mothers and daughters of every race and culture could relate to, in a way (a mother brushing her daughter's hair) but it was specific to American black culture and it presented it in a really natural way. I just love the idea that this can become normalized on our tv screens. And it was a great, sweet (and slightly disturbing) scene where both actresses excelled. 

• Love 10

The points about the justice system are true though. Maybe I wouldn't say "all the time", but the show didn't say that either. The show noted the statistical probability (which is quite high) of it happening. The show isn't pulling that out of left field. And I think it makes sense for Michaela to notice the statistical probability. Maybe Wes should too, but I'm not sure what's going on in his brain. 

Last week, I thought Annalise could get Nate off through reasonable doubt, but when Michaela said "he's black" I realized "uh-oh",  that this is going to be a lot harder for Annalise (or whichever lawyer she hires -- Bonnie?) to get the jury to perceive the doubts because of biases against people of color. Also, Sami is a white man, and the media could play up the black man on white man angle. And who knows if they might try to connect Nate to Lila (who is a white woman -- then the stakes get even higher). The one thing that could make all of this even worse is if a bunch of racists get put on the jury (though maybe Annalise's team can stop that from happening). 

I don't know what the stats on prison assaults (sexual or otherwise) are like, but I have watched Prison Break, and because of that I suddenly started freaking out that something bad is going to happen to Nate in prison like that (especially since Nate is a police officer and the people he's helped to convict are in jail and he's now there with them!). What have you done, Analise???

Edited by bantering
  • Love 5

I don't mean to imply that any of the political points that were made were wrong, or one was the equivalent of the other. 

It's just that I can't think of many other times when other court TV shows or movies set in contemporary times have suggested systemic problems with the court system in terms of racism or sexism. You'd have to go to stuff like "To Kill a Mockingbird" and the like.

I'm torn as to whether they should have done a more full critique or if it's better for the characters (and the viewers) to have the understated points be made. 

What is Rebecca's motivation to kill Lila, her friend? Or to have her killed? We know Rebecca and Lila's boyfriend fought, from the first episode. Rudy was never mentioned until recently. Would the boyfriend pay Rebecca big bucks to kill Lila?

It was seemingly dropped, but earlier in the season it was heavily implied and frankly I feel clearly stated that Rebecca had some kind of sexual history with Lila's boyfriend, a fact I don't think Lila knew. When Griffin and Rebecca were first arrested and then Annalise was considering taking Griffin on as a client, his version of what happened the night Lila disappeared was that he called Rebecca to score drugs for his frat party. He got the drugs, got high and later hooked up with Rebecca. While they were getting it on, Lila walked in, caught them and she angrily left and that was the last time he saw her. He also added that he realized after that Rebecca set it up so Lila would catch them.

The writers never showed Rebecca being questioned about Griffin's version of what happened. In fact, if I think about it, we've never been shown or told Rebecca's version of that night at all. All we've been told is that she didn't do it and Wes jumping on her defense bandwagon because he just knew she was telling the truth and no one would give her a chance because she was poor and came from the wrong side of tracks. That said, while we've never been given an account of what happened with Rebecca that night, she did later accuse Griffin of supposedly raping her to discredit him. Wes got really mad because he knew for a fact the claim was a lie and when he confronts Rebecca, she asks him if what he's really mad about is the fact that she was with Griffin. That to me confirmed that there was clearly some sexual history between those two. 

Which brings me to the whole "she and Lila were friends". When Wes first meets Rebecca and Lila is still missing, he at one point tells her he's sorry about her friend and she very coldly and harshly states that Lila was not her friend. Then suddenly the flashbacks of Lila show them all bosom buddy. But interestingly, Lila is shown talking to Rebecca about the virginity pact with Griffin that Lila wasn't keeping since she was sleeping with Sam and Rebecca rags on Griffin a couple of times and you get no indication that something is going on between her and Griffin or that Lila knows. So that made me question the honesty of these flashbacks. In other words, I think Lila saw Rebecca as a friend and so the flashbacks were really Lila's view of things but I don't think Rebecca really thought of Lila as a friend. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some resentment on her part and she saw Lila as some privileged, sorority girl pretending to be a saintly virgin while banging her professor. 

Where do Nate and Sam figure in, for framing them for the murder? We know Sam got Lila pregnant, she may have told boyfriend that fact. I'll be on the edge of my seat next week.

Sam comes in because Rebecca knew Lila had been having an affair. Wes convincing Annalise to take on Rebecca as a client helped her figure out Sam was the mysterious older man Lila was sleeping with. And this is all just a theory of course, but I can see how at that point, when she confirmed it was Sam, she saw a perfect way to pin the murder on him. He'd been having an affair with the dead girl who was his student, so it was inappropriate and she had gotten pregnant. At that point Rebecca just had to wait for the pieces to fit and as others noted, with her on the computer tracking Wes' phone, who knows if she didn't have a system to manipulate Sam's coordinates that night to make him look more guilty. 

So she goes into the house to set him up and Wes and company show up. Sam, already in a very bad space from the drama with Annalise, fear of the truth about his relationship with Lila coming out, snaps and attacks Rebecca and Wes kills him. Her hands remain clean, even with the cover up, which she took no part in because Wes convinces all the others that she can't be there. So she didn't help burn Sam's body, hack him to pieces, dump him in landfill, etc. Something else that also occurred to me - we didn't see what exactly happened between Sam and Rebecca before he started strangling her. Rebecca said she was going to the bathroom, the four students remained in the room trying to figure out what to do and then they suddenly hear a sound and Sam is on top of Rebecca. Who is to say she didn't attack him, realizing he wasn't dead and they all came in when he got the upper hand?

As for Nate, well he gets in this for being stupid enough to get involved with Annalise. But basically he started suspecting Sam of murdering Lila when Annalise had him look up Sam's alibi for that night and he realized Sam lied about being at Yale. So he contacts Rebecca to help him prove Sam killed Lila figuring she'd definitely be willing to help because it would mean clearing her name. But he, like everyone else is in the dark about who and what Rebecca really is and he gave her a perfect means to try to set Sam up. And now, in trying to save the students, Annalise has made him take the fall for Sam's murder and Rebecca being who she is was only too happy to throw him under the bus in her interview with the police. 

Again this is all huge speculation on my part that could be completely wrong but like I said in my previous post, Rebecca's being behind this and more of a cold, mastermind that anyone suspected would fit perfectly with what this show is called and what it's all about. It basically would be the ultimate "How to Get Away With Murder". Which I guess for her means find a bunch of stupid, gullible guys to fall for and believe blindly in you. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9

Last week, I thought Annalise could get Nate off through reasonable doubt, but when Michaela said "he's black" I realized "uh-oh",  that this is going to be a lot harder for Annalise (or whichever lawyer she hires -- Bonnie?) to get the jury to perceive the doubts because of biases against people of color. Also, Sami is a white man, and the media could play up the black man on white man angle. And who knows if they might try to connect Nate to Lila (who is a white woman -- then the stakes get even higher). The one thing that could make all of this even worse is if a bunch of racists get put on the jury (though maybe Annalise's team can stop that from happening). 

I don't know what the stats on prison assaults (sexual or otherwise) are like, but I have watched Prison Break, and because of that I suddenly started freaking out that something bad is going to happen to Nate in prison like that (especially since Nate is a police officer and the people he's helped to convict are in jail and he's now there with them!). What have you done, Analise???

Annalise knows these stats very well. She knows that she must stop Nate's case from going to a jury trial. She has to find a way to get the charges dropped or demand a judicial trial. A black man on trial, especially for killing a white man is in a whole lot of trouble.

The one positive that Nate has regarding the assaults is that former cops are kept separate from other prisoners in jail as well as in prison. However, solitary confinement is no joke. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Which brings me to the whole "she and Lila" were friends. When Wes first meets Rebecca and Lila is still missing, he at one point tells her he's sorry about her friend and she very coldly and harshly states that Lila was not her friend. Then suddenly the flashbacks of Lila show them all bosom buddy but interestingly Lila is shown talking to Rebecca about the virginity pact with Griffin that Lila wasn't keeping since she was sleeping with Sam and Rebecca rags on Griffin a couple of times and you get no indication that something is going on between her and Griffin or that Lila knows. So that made me question the honesty of these flashbacks. In other words, I think Lila saw Rebecca as a friend and so the memories matched how she saw things but I don't think Rebecca really thought of Lila as a friend. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some resentment on her part and she saw Lila as some privileged, sorority girl pretending to be a saintly virgin while banging her professor. 

All the flashbacks so far are from the show/writers' perspective. The flashbacks have never been from any of the characters' perspective so Rebecca and Lila's friendship was real. 

Literally.

Even if she does get him off in the legal sense I can't imagine why Nate would want to have anything to do with Annalise after this. Surely he doesn't love her enough to risk taking a murder rap for her. Meanwhile, who's looking after his infirm wife?

As fabulous as it was to have Cicely Tyson I was not a fan of that character. This business of a parent emotionally stabbing their child with one hand and applying a tourniquet with the other isn't something I ever find entertaining. That said, I do expect Ms Tyson to get an Emmy nomination.

• Love 4