Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E00: The 40th Anniversary Special

• Start Topic

I watched this bloated mess...well fast forwarded through the music acts (damn Paul McCartney sounded bad) and other stuff I didn't care for.

I can't stand Fallon and Timberlake, and like the poster stated upthread, the fact that at the end Timberlake was right there mugging for the camera when they brought Lorne up was just awful.  He really is full of himself and I'm glad every time he tries his hand at acting in the movies that the fails horribly. 

I too was shocked they didn't show the clip of Norm's awesome WU where he opened after the OJ trial..."Well it's official....murder is now legal in California."

Am I totally confused?  I thought they DID play that.

I was hoping though to also see Norm's awesome WU gender pie-chart skit (the one that ends with "just kidding... we don't hire women!").

I'd actually say (maybe because he later turned into a wacko) that Miller's tenure on WU is what got ignored.  Which is a shame, because it was before Miller turned into a loon and was pretty good.  I mean even Victoria Jackson got one of her bits briefly on-screen, and Miller got a brief second on-screen too, but I don't know if we heard any actual words spoken, and Miller was a big part of the show at one point, however sad and twisted he became later on (again, not as much as Victoria Jackson though).

• Love 2

It looked like the point of the Californians sketch was to shoehorn as many celebrities as possible; Bradley Cooper, Taylor Swift, Kerry Washington, Betty White, and so on.  Went on way too long.

I know every great sketch couldn't be included, but I just realized that Christopher Walken was there and he didn't do The Continental.  And Steve Martin only did King Tut briefly.   

Did Ellen Cleghorne look off to anyone else?  In the end when everyone was standing on the stage, she was standing just off the stage and looked really drunk or confused.

• Love 1

The only cast member I can think of who was definitely in the audience but didn't get to be part of the show was Sarah Silverman. Which was weird because they officially announced her as being there, which made me think she'd at least do something, even if it was just to introduce someone else. Was there anyone else they officially announced that didn't end up actually being part of the show?

I'd imagine because in terms of the show itself, she was a one-season wonder, although like several of those she did later go on to host the show (but I think only once in her case).

Besides the current cast (only a few of them made it on stage), I don't think Chris Kattan, Cheri Oteri, Horatio Sanz, Julia Sweeny, or Finesse Mitchell didn't get a part in the show. There may have been more, but those were the people that were confirmed.

Am I totally confused?  I thought they DID play that.

I mean even Victoria Jackson got one of her bits briefly on-screen,

I don't think that OJ joke was shown, just the one about Ron Goldman's last words.

What was it?

Besides the current cast (only a few of them made it on stage), I don't think Chris Kattan, Cheri Oteri, Horatio Sanz, Julia Sweeny, or Finesse Mitchell didn't get a part in the show. There may have been more, but those were the people that were confirmed.

Thank god, in the case of Kattan. Just seeing that audition where he did that idiotic monkey character was already enough to make me want to turn the TV off. 

• Love 5

So Nielsen says 23 million watched the special. Obviously 23 mil don't watch the regular shows. How do you think the show played to the non  SNL viewer?

My parents tuned in and DVR'd it, despite bailing back in the 80s. It was the first time they'd seen Celebrity Jeopardy, and they absolutely loved it. They went to bed after the first half and told them there was a lot of stuff to fast forward after that.

ETA:

Finesse Mitchell made it onto the Goodnights, and Sanz was part of the Breaking digital short, but yeah, wondered where everyone else was especially Julia Sweeney.

But you know what was heartwarming to me? The entire (living) original cast was there and they all got to do something in the show.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

My parents tuned in and DVR'd it, despite bailing back in the 80s. It was the first time they'd seen Celebrity Jeopardy, and they absolutely loved it. They went to bed after the first half and told them there was a lot of stuff to fast forward after that.

Yeah I don't think a lot of people who turned in where non-SNL viewers they just might not be current SNL viewers bu a vast majority probably watched for at least a few years at some point in the last 40 years.

• Love 1

What I do find interesting is that apparently, Colin Jost says he imitates Norm behind the update desk, because he grew up watching Norm at the update desk.  Colin needs to work on his delivery if he thinks he's doing a good Norm imitation.

Wow, that is - just ludicrous.  My favorite WU anchors ever were Jane Curtin, Norm, and Dennis Miller.  I actually think Dennis Miller was the best out of any of them and It's too bad he didn't appear (I assume this was his own decision).  I'd like to suggest that Norm and Jane take over the WU anchor slots immediately, by the way - it seems like they're both available.

Thank god, in the case of Kattan

He was a cast member I never cared much for either - except for GAY HITLER which they did include in a montage and which always makes me laugh until my stomach hurts, the same as Jason Sudeikis' Red Dancing Tracksuit Guy from What's Up With That?

• Love 4

I loved Melissa McCarthy's Matt Foley impersonation. She really nailed it, pants-pulling and all! Emma Stone was also good, but it was depressing that nobody seemed to recognize Roseanne Rosannadanna. There was zero audience reaction. Sad.

I also, for the first time, actually enjoyed Miley Cyrus. She did a great job; the straight delivery with total lack of flash (or flesh) conveyed that she really respected the song and the circumstances. I even liked the bare-bones production and the way the musicians lined up behind her. Well done. Less inspiring was listening to Paul Simon croak his way through "Still Crazy After All These Years." That's somewhat of a vocally-challenging song, and he's just not up to it anymore. The guy has authored a truly impressive legacy, but at this point, he should leave the singing to someone else.

• Love 4

I loved Melissa McCarthy's Matt Foley impersonation. She really nailed it, pants-pulling and all! Emma Stone was also good, but it was depressing that nobody seemed to recognize Roseanne Rosannadanna. There was zero audience reaction. Sad.

My impression wasn't that no one recognized the character, but that they were surprised at the decision to have someone else do a beloved Gilda character.  I love Emma Stone, but I was surprised, too.

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 4

There was zero audience reaction. Sad.

I know this is referencing Emma Stone's performance, but I felt that the audience was subdued for a lot of the show. For instance, the reaction in Celebrity Jeopardy to Taran's Christoph Waltz and Kate's Justin Bieber was very quiet. I don't think either performance was bad, but they seemed to bomb.

I FF'd thru Miley's song. Maybe she sang it fine, but I just wasn't interested. I FF'd thru the Paul's performance too. That was just too painful to listen to. I did watch Kanye's performance because I was curious. I was too distracted wondering about the difficulty of singing on one's back.

• Love 3

I had a long review post written but somehow did not have permission to post it! Anyway, my favorite parts were Jimmy and Justin, Bill Murray, Jerry Seinfeld, Jeopardy, the breaking song and Bradley Cooper in The Californians. I could have only hoped for no musical numbers but it was a live show for an in studio audience, so I guess they couldn't suffice with just clips of the musical numbers. Overall, a good show but a little rough around the editing and directing edges.

ETA:

Finesse Mitchell made it onto the Goodnights, and Sanz was part of the Breaking digital short, but yeah, wondered where everyone else was especially Julia Sweeney.

But you know what was heartwarming to me? The entire (living) original cast was there and they all got to do something in the show.

Here's Sweeney, by the way, with Seth Meyers.... http://instagram.com/p/zJFBCntsmz/

• Love 1

I was hoping though to also see Norm's awesome WU gender pie-chart skit (the one that ends with "just kidding... we don't hire women!").

They showed that joke (or a similar joke) but it may have been during the red carpet segments. 

You  could also say that was the unsaid part of Chris Rock's jab last night that writers forgot about him.  He actually left SNL for In Living Color.  It's kinda ironic now because people will always associate him with SNL.  I'm not so sure about ILC.  And there seems to be no hard feelings on either Lorne's or Chris's part now.

That he was such a big part of ILC, only adds to the irony in my mind that Jim openly relishes his friend of SNL status now.

There's a quote of Rock's that has stuck with me for a long time. I believe it's, "There's life before Lorne. And there's life after Lorne."

I love that quote because it shows the difference one person can make in your life, and how not having that one person could also make a huge impact.

Rock, of course, had Eddie Murphy in his life, too, before SNL.

But Rock has always appreciated the doors that being on SNL opened for him, even if his time there wasn't used well. (I mean, Rock must've made a fortune by just knowing Adam Sandler alone.)

And Rock and Lorne have since had a special relationship. Rock hosted SNL three years after leaving for In Living Color. He also got to do a cold open by himself to open the show like 9 years ago (where he predicted an Obama victory nearly 2 years before the election).

And Rock has been responsible for Leslie Jones and, I believe, JB Smoove's hiring.

As for Jim Carrey, I think him being attached to the SNLers recently is about them allowing him to have that creative outlet that he so seeks, especially at his (aging) age. I don't see it as a diss of In Living Color. After all, when the TV Land Awards paid tribute to In Living Color a few years back, Carrey was right on stage with the rest of the cast.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 3

Wow, that is - just ludicrous.  My favorite WU anchors ever were Jane Curtin, Norm, and Dennis Miller.  I actually think Dennis Miller was the best out of any of them and It's too bad he didn't appear (I assume this was his own decision).  I'd like to suggest that Norm and Jane take over the WU anchor slots immediately, by the way - it seems like they're both available.

Good list.  I have to completely agree.  As much of a nut as he later turned out to be, Miller WAS good at the WU job when he had it.  

These were the three most sarcastic WU anchors too.  Miller dripped with it.  Macdonald's version was dry, but in some ways even more ramped up than Miller. Jane Curtin's was this wonderfully waspy uptight kind of sarcasm.

• Love 3

I didn't even notice that they didn't bleep out "dick." But thanks to HBO and whatnot, cursing on television rarely fazes me anymore (except for See You Next Tuesday, which I think shows that are at liberty to use it still save for their most special, vile occasions).

I finally saw the show today, having TiVoed last night.   I've been watching since the beginning and I have a personal affection for the original not ready for prime time players.  My favorite skit was Todd and Lisa for some reason.  I still give my grandsons gentle noogies in honor of those characters.  I also liked the land shark.

First of all I didn't like the opening.  I feel they should have maybe showed the original opening from 1975.  Fallon and JT could then have done their musical number.  There were many more bigger names that using Fallon seemed like a commercial for NBC

Also there way way too many and very long commercials.

I enjoyed the In Memoriam and Wayne and Garth.  I also enjoyed the auditions. So sad so many people affiliated with the show passed away so young.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 2

Yay! I didn't get a chance to watch it last night, so I'll be making sure to do so that time.

Now though, it looks like that will be a 3 hour version, so half an hour will be gone. Maybe the music performances?

• Love 1

As for Jim Carrey, I think him being attached to the SNLers recently is about them allowing him to have that creative outlet that he so seeks, especially at his (aging) age. I don't see it as a diss of In Living Color.

I agree with all of that.  I heard him say he's the one that brought the McConaughey  impression to them, not the other way around.  And I didn't mean he was dissing In Living Color at all.   I only meant that it's interesting to me that SNL didn't hire him as a cast member, but now he's obviously a friend of the show.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

I still find that what irritated me most is that they kept forgetting that this was a celebration of SNL and that is probably why the musical numbers are getting most of my ire.  Look at Paul McCartney as an example, was it some immutable artistic vision (and he used it on the Simpsons, so there isn't one) that required him to display the same four images from when he was younger over and over again.  They couldn't use La Dolche Gilda or SNL character/couples or something as the backdrop.  And as someone else said, where was Paul's turkey suit?  It was the day after Valentine's, they could have dressed him up as cupid.  Kanye's performance seemed like payment to allow the Wayne's World jokes which he couldn't even seem to remember to stay in character for.

I've come to the conclusion that they just couldn't handle the logistics of a three and a half hour live show with skits and didn't want that much pre-tape.  But it was missing the little Easter Eggs and nods to SNL history that I was expecting.

• Love 1
her not doing an Valley accent for the sketch is actually accurate. Nobody her age living in Southern California had ever talked that like that.

Her dialogue was written for someone who speaks in that accent, though. If she didn't do it, I doubt it was because she did historical dialect research.

• Love 2

Ah. Maybe. Hope they don't cut anything good.

Don't know what they'll cut; but they cut Fallon and Timberlake from what they made available On Demand on Comcast.  I find that weird because they didn't cut McCartney and I expect they would have if it was a music problem which is usually the situation.  I just got past the Californians and really have no desire to re-watch anymore to see.

• Love 1

Don't know what they'll cut; but they cut Fallon and Timberlake from what they made available On Demand on Comcast.  I find that weird because they didn't cut McCartney and I expect they would have if it was a music problem which is usually the situation.  I just got past the Californians and really have no desire to re-watch anymore to see.

Lucky. I've only found the red carpet stuff on AT&T On Demand. No show. Unless that's it.

Lucky. I've only found the red carpet stuff on AT&T On Demand. No show. Unless that's it.

Comcast put up around 90 minutes of the show and the red carpet.  Comcast has Jeopardy.  Strange that they are putting up different stuff in different places.

And speaking of the Red Carpet, it was kind of weird that the Red carpet seemed almost segregated with Roker interviewing Rock, Murphy, etc..  I think they even commented on it.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

Comcast put up around 90 minutes of the show and the red carpet.  Comcast has Jeopardy.  Strange that they are putting up different stuff in different places.

And speaking of the Red Carpet, it was kind of weird that the Red carpet seemed almost segregated with Roker interviewing Rock, Murphy, etc..  I think they even commented on it.

Ah. Not really. They want people to watch it through different venues. Kind of frustrating. Found some of it on Youtube thankfully.

That is odd.

Starting with #$#%ing Fallon is an insult to the show's long history.

....add Timberlake, and it's even worse.

Oh my god, yes. I used to really like Fallon and loved Fallon's musical parodies at the Update desk before he became co-anchor and he is a great impressionist, I liked him less and less with every sketch he was in. I get that his breaking has become a joke within the show, but honestly, he was horrible. It never even seemed like he laughed because he genuinely found the material funny, other than in the Cowbell sketch. It seemed more like an attention-seeking thing or a way to make the audience laugh when the sketch was bombing. I've never understood Lorne's soft spot for him. Is it just because people think Jimmy's cute? Is it because they're close on a personal level? ...I don't get it. I don't watch late-night TV, but I've seen clips from the Tonight Show online and he's still very juvenile and a horrible interviewer. Also, I'm not so enamored with celebrities that I need a whole show where they play games so that they can feel down to earth and relatable to me.

Timberlake is awful. He is so horribly juvenile. There was an AMA on reddit with someone who interned in the photography department. They said that Timberlake was really juvenile and it was awkward because he tried so hard to be funny, but most of the backstage people just thought he was gross. I can totally picture that. I also find that when he and Jimmy get together it's very in-groupish. Like it's more about their inside jokes and them trying to make each other laugh than entertaining the audience. But I guess Lorne was thinking about what big hits the History of Rap numbers have been when he decided to make that the opening. Because otherwise I have zero explanation for why these two would be the ones starting the show.

Overall, I thought the show was somewhere between okay and good. It's hard though because I can't even think of a way to honour 40 years of SNL and get everything that needs to be in a show like this without it being somewhat of a clustereff. I give them credit for even trying.

Jane and Tina were great at the desk. They had the personality and timing down pat. I don't really like Amy's timing with Update jokes. I find she rushes the punchlines. But yes, all 3 of them show how much Update is lacking right now with Jost and Che and frankly, was with Seth too. Seth was bland as hell and also tended to rush punchlines. I really didn't get the clips they picked to showcase the former Update anchors. Amy's joke about the hip-hop cat was especially bad. I did love Stefon's line of "you have to form a teepee with your hands to keep your secrets under". Hehehe.

I agree with everyone's disdain re: Kanye, Miley, etc. I get that SNL's trying to appeal to mainstream, young audience, but I think for this show they really should have gone ahead without caring about ratings. Kanye got more screentime than so many wonderful cast members. He got more screentime than Bobby Moynihan! Ugh. I did laugh when Christopher Walken called him Can-yay. Oh Christopher. Don't ever change.

Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio was there? Why? He's never hosted the show or been involved with it, other than the cameo in the Jonah Hill episode.

Kinda sad that Sasheer was in the What Up With That, but didn't get mentioned in the opening credits for the special. I get that she didn't get to say anything, but still. I feel like it's because they wanted Kristen Wiig to be the last person mentioned in the credits instead of Sasheer Zamata, which a lot of people would be saying "who??" about.

Loved the Culps.

Garth and Kat WTF? When will we ever be rid of them??? I'm already dreading when they inevitably show up at the 50th reunion show.

We didn't see much of it, but Andy Samberg's jogger from 80's during his audition sounded awful. Yeesh. He's very lucky those digital shorts worked out for him in the end.

Absolutely loved Dana Carvey. I think he's my pick for most underrated cast member at this point. He's so talented. It's a shame he didn't have a better career.

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 3

Remind me: Cecily Strong was or wasn't in the WU anchor montage.

Was not. It stuck out like a sore thumb to me, though people mentioned in the live thread that she wasn't the only one missing. I started watching when it was Tina/Jimmy so I'm not aware of everybody who's anchored outside the big names. But also because her position (and removal from said position) was so recent, I feel like it seemed more blatant. They showed "Girl at a Party," but still.

I will continue to have an issue with her removal until Colin and Michael can prove that they make a better team. But there's about as much a chance of that happening as Tina, Amy, and Jane anchoring together every week.

• Love 7

I feel like maybe Lorne didn't put Cecily in the Update montage because it would remind people that (in his mind) he made a mistake and tried something that didn't work out. 

During the "in memoriam" montage it really sounded like Molly Shannon kept going "awww" after every name.

Also, word to anyone who does not want Dakota Johnson hosting. 50 Shades of Grey should not be promoted anywhere, ever. It is anti-feminist and anti-women. 

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 4

Actually I thought Norm MacDonald's appearance at the show was very gracious on his part, and showed the difference between him and Eddie Murphy. Eddie Murphy had some great years on the show and then he went on to do bigger and better things, like many SNL actors. Maybe Lorne Michaels didn't give him his due or whatever, but would it have killed Eddie to do an old sketch? Mr. Robinson's neighborhood? 

Norm MacDonald otoh was canned due to the OJ jokes and the fact that TPTB were (then) buddies with OJ. The fact that he showed up and put on a happy face and participated in the Jeopardy sketch was kind of cool.

Speaking of norm and OJ I though it was interesting that they showed an OJ joke which may or may not have gotten him fired, but Cecil strong who may or may not have been fired from Weekend Update has been erased from its history.

Edited by Kel Varnsen

Also, word to anyone who does not want Dakota Johnson hosting. 50 Shades of Grey should not be promoted anywhere, ever. It is anti-feminist and anti-women. 

My people! Er, person. Either way, it's been getting positively awful reviews, and the small interview excerpts I've seen make it seem like everyone involved with the film already wants to distance themselves from it, especially the two leads. I haven't seen the movie or read the book (like I'm gonna spend my hard-earned money on literal Twilight fanfiction) but enough excerpts have been floated around to my corner of the internet where I'm just astonished that anyone could see the story as anything other than abusive trash.

I'm sure last night in the live thread it seemed like I had some kind of personal issue with Dakota, which I don't, really, besides the fact that she knowingly decided to be a part of this shit. But I, too, am tired of this movie being promoted as some sort of love story when, from everything I've seen, it's a textbook case of domestic violence.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed most of this. But I have to say, I was really looking forward to seeing Cheri Oteri so was disappointed she had nothing to do (she was there though, correct?)

Cheri is on Bravo's Watch What Happens Live tonight. I just caught the last few minutes and am going to record the rerun in a few hours.

Edited by nowandlater

Did no one else miss Rob Schneider? He was t on the show or mentioned in this thread. I'm not crazy about the him but copier guy bit is one that sticks out in my memory along with chopping broccoli.

• Love 4

I thought Miley was fine.  I actually liked that she did a song I know and like already, so that I didn't have to something of hers stuck in my head.  Certainly, I enjoyed it more than Kanye West's performance, Not anything against him as an artist, but it went on so long, and it seemed out of step with the show style-wise. 

Also, since I haven't watched the show in so long, I've only heard the Californians was a terrible sketch, and I wondered if it was just the ole "the old stuff was better" thing, but no, it's genuinely awful.  And judging by YouTube, it was the second longest sketch of the night, beaten only by the musical tributes.  So if you felt like it went on forever, well, it did.