Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E00: The 40th Anniversary Special

• Start Topic

Do you mean on camera (vs. semi-anonymous in the audience)?

If so, 3 hours is actually like 135 minutes of airtime.  If they're shoving 200 people into that?  It's probably gonna suck.

Kenan didn't really specify but I imagine it includes walk-ons & tape.

Glad it's been extended by a half-hour!

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 1

Do we know who is writing the sketches?  Is it the current staff or are they making use of the cast that is returning that also wrote skits and writers from prior seasons?

Based on the proximity to Valentine's Day, I presume we'll get another Digital Short in the vein od 'Dick in the Box' and 'Motherlover'

With Jim Carrey coming and it being the 30 year anniversary of Andy Kaufman's death and the way the death hoax rumors get resurrected by his family periodically, I wonder if they'll do something to honor Kauffman.  

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2

I think any writers who worked there for more than a year were asked back as well. Timberlake instagrammed a pic where he and a couple others were working with Paula Pell (who actually, according to IMDb, wrote for the show just as recently as the Woody Harrelson episode; idk why I thought she left years ago). And you know Tina's gonna be doing the Lord's work in the writers' room this week.

• Love 2

David Spade was on Jimmy Kimmel Live,and said that he, Chris Rock, and Adam Sandler we're flying in Friday, but he had no idea what they were going to have him do on the show.

(Oh, and Joe Dirt 2 this summer).

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 3

It's going to be really interesting to see how this unfolds.

What I'd like to see:

* Tom Hanks doing the monologue...again

* Tributes to SNL cast members whom have passed away

* Digital Short involving cast members from all eras

* A very VERY limited amount of Kristen Wiig (unlikely but I can dream, can't I?)

* David Spade/Jebediah Atkinson snark-off on cast members (bonus points if they focus on Eddie Murphy and then David waving up his white flag, ensuring victory of Jebediah)

* Fun musical guests that don't take up a ridiculous amount of time. 

* Five Timers Club Special Seating. 

• Love 7

From USAToday

NEW YORK — NBC's Saturday Night Live is throwing a big 40th anniversary party Sunday. So what if it's eight months shy of the actual milestone?

The three-and-a-half-hour special (8 p.m. ET/PT) will feature clips and musical performances from Paul Simon and Paul McCartney. Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake will reunite for "an homage to the show and all the great people who've been on it" in a "high-energy fun comedy piece," Fallon says. And more live sketches will feature celebrated former cast members such as Chris Rock, Will Ferrell, Bill Murray and — for the first time since he left in 1984 — Eddie Murphy, as characters that made them stars.

At least that's the plan, says creator Lorne Michaels, who has presided over the late-night institution and its anarchic production process for all but five years of its run.
"Certainly, we're going forward with the hope of seeing a lot of people do what they do best," he says. Or, he corrects, "what they're most famous for, or moments that we think will be just great to have."
Michaels, 70, says he invited every host, nearly every cast member and many musical guests. And, of course, "just about everybody who's coming back would like to perform." The problem? "Not enough time." Or seats, which led him to squeeze in a few more, and use Seth Meyers' studio across the hall from 8H as a screening-room overflow. "The choice on a production level is between scenery and seats. We're limited capacity, and for a million reasons, most of them emotional, we've (almost) always done it in the studio."

Aside from the late John Belushi and Gilda Radner, all of the show's original Not Ready for Prime Time Players will be back, and viewers will catch the first glimpse of their improvised test footage shot earlier in 1975 with the likes of Belushi, Radner and Dan Aykroyd. (The show's premiere will air, in SNL's regular time slot Saturday).

"We're doing the most we've ever done on an anniversary show," Michaels says. Yet unlike regular shows, there's no time for a dress rehearsal (instead, there'll be a red-carpet special at 7 ET/PT). And the producer worries about whether his stable of stars will be up to the task.
"Everyone's memory of what happened last time they were there is generally colored by the party that happened after," he says. "Sometimes the pace isn't what you'd think. But it will be more than made up by the fact that all of those people will be in the same room at the same time. On that sort of level, of it being an extended family, I think it will be very powerful."

• Love 1

A bunch  of more names have been added.  Victoria Jackson is coming.  Anybody wanna bet that she sits right beside Palin?

There are some curious names.  Both Spielberg and George Lucas will be there.  The Backstreet Boys, Arcade Fire, 50 Cent, Deborah Harry, Rudy Giuliani, Fiona Apple, Dakota Johnson (I've seen speculation that she could be the next host?) are all going to attend.  It's nice to see Larry David, J.B. Smoove, and Gilbert Gottfried on the list as well despite their short tenures with the show.

Haven't seen confirmations from either Conan O'Brien or Dennis Miller.

Edited by vb68

A bunch  of more names have been added.  Victoria Jackson is coming.  Anybody wanna bet that she sits right beside Palin?

There are some curious names.  Both Spielberg and George Lucas will be there.  The Backstreet Boys, Arcade Fire, 50 Cent, Deborah Harry, Rudy Giuliani, Fiona Apple, Dakota Johnson (I've seen speculation that she could be the next host?) are all going to attend.  It's nice to see Larry David, J.B. Smoove, and Gilbert Gottfried on the list as well despite their short tenures with the show.

Haven't seen confirmations from either Conan O'Brien or Dennis Miller.

Gottfried, for example, is under the 2 season limit they set, so clearly they're adding in real world success to the formula as well as tenure.

I mean if Beth Cahill or Deny Dillon or George Coe were invited... now THAT would be extraordinary.

Hey... it wasn't until I read this that I realized that Laurie Metcalf was one of these one season wonders!  Every time I dig up a new article I see some new name of someone we know from elsewhere who one-seasoned it there (Ben Stiller, Gottfried, Jay Mohr, Sarah Silverman, Robert Downey Jr., Anthony Michael Hall, batshit crazoid Randy Quaid, Damon Wayans, etc.)

The three-and-a-half-hour special (8 p.m. ET/PT) will feature clips and musical performances from Paul Simon and Paul McCartney.

Now that they have these hologram performances, they should have Lorne offer $13,000 (inflation) for the Beatles to reunite and have Lennon show up to sing with McCartney.

Its going to be interesting to see how much a two hour increase in run time and so many performers to juggle is going to increase gaffs.

I don't dare not watch live.  I don't think I've ever seen On Demand, on line, or rebroadcast not cut it down for music rights or some other reason.

• Love 2

If every former host was invited that means they invited even the hosts who have been "banned" (Charles Grodin, Louise Lasser, Andrew Dice Clay, etc.).  Interesting.  The awkwardness between some of the folks in the room (including former hosts and cast members) is definitely something to watch for.

The one person I would really want to see though is Tracy Morgan.  Does anyone know if he's able to attend?

• Love 3

Just wanted to remind everyone - this is the spot to talk about the special airing this coming Sunday. Discussion of potential guests for the show is fine here. If you want to talk about old episodes, please take the conversation over to SNL Vintage topic. We'll also have a live chat open from the start of the red carpet show on Sunday until the special ends on the West Coast, so there's going to that option as well.

We're not going to be huge sticklers on this over the weekend, because we're just as excited as everyone else for the special, but we would really appreciate your help and cooperation!

Thanks everyone, and have a great weekend! And don't forget to watch the first episode ever, with George Carlin & Janis Ian, airing tomorrow night in the show's usual slot! We'll see you back here Sunday!

• Love 5

stacey, will this be the live thread or will another one be created?

Dakota Johnson (I've seen speculation that she could be the next host?)

Ok people, the 50 Shades of Grey mania needs to stop. That book and movie glorify abuse and try to pass it off as BDSM. Shit, 14-year-olds on Tumblr know this, but the only mainstream media outlet I've seen call it out was a morning show in Australia. Stop stop stop stop stop. Stop. Not to mention that from what I've seen, DJ has all the charisma and presence of a baked potato.

With about 23094802 people being added to this special every hour, I can't decide if this is going to be the greatest event in television history or a train wreck from start to finish. Maybe both?

Bill Hader was on Today this morning, and idk if he was joking or not, but apparently it's Friday and he still has no idea what he's doing on Sunday. Andy Samberg, same thing. Ay carumba.

• Love 1

Bill Hader was on Today this morning, and idk if he was joking or not, but apparently it's Friday and he still has no idea what he's doing on Sunday. Andy Samberg, same thing. Ay carumba.

Bill was on Letterman tonight and said he was just learned what he's doing Sunday on the drive over.

If every former host was invited that means they invited even the hosts who have been "banned" (Charles Grodin, Louise Lasser, Andrew Dice Clay, etc.).  Interesting.  The awkwardness between some of the folks in the room (including former hosts and cast members) is definitely something to watch for.

The only person the majority of these people would be awkward with is Lorne Michaels.

The one person I would really want to see though is Tracy Morgan.  Does anyone know if he's able to attend?

I'd say it's very possible, because he's finally popped up on camera walking.

In the course of a few weeks, he's gone from this:

Tracy-Morgan-Pictured-Struggling-To-Walk

To this:

120414-tracy-morgan-splash-primary-1200x

To this:

1422909193_tracy-morgan-lg.jpg

That's the walking though (which obviously includes general cognition).  How well he can talk is another issue entirely.

• Love 3

The weather's supposed to be pretty shitty in NYC this weekend, so that should make for an interesting red carpet.

I follow most of the current cast on Instagram, and they don't seem to have spent too much of the week working on the special. I think Pete and Jay did some stand-up, Aidy and Vanessa were out doing something...I wonder if they're gonna mostly take a backseat to the proceedings.

Nasim posted a picture of Taran and Bobby, though, so I guess she's gonna be there!

I wonder if Kristen Wiig will show. She's not one to hog the spotlight.

Wild dogs couldn't keep her away.

So, will they open the show with "Live from New York, it's _______Night!"?  And if so, my choice is Chevy Chase. 

The odd thing is that it won't be Saturday night, so saying "Live from New York, it's Saturday night" would be weird. But then so would saying "Live from New York, it's Sunday night." Ugh they fucked up on that one.

Rumor has it NSYNC will be reuniting at the special along with the Backstreet Boys. Bring on the Spice Girls and it'll be a '90s trifecta of awesome.

The odd thing is that it won't be Saturday night, so saying "Live from New York, it's Saturday night" would be weird. But then so would saying "Live from New York, it's Sunday night." Ugh they fucked up on that one.

Yes, that's why I left the "day" blank!  But I agree, they have to say "Saturday", and I can't imagine opening the show without that.  Maybe, "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night @ 40!"    Lord, how did it get to be 40!!! 

• Love 2

As the program approaches, I've actually decided to watch live.

Please note this is the first live TV I'll be watching (excluding stuff like sports in a sports bar) in over two years.  Everything else has been on time delay (even if occasionally just an hour).  That tells you how much I'm looking forward to this.

Hmm.  My NBC affiliate right now has some kind of special on the 40th Anniversary with interviews with former cast-members.  And of course, tonight we get the George Carlin Season 1 Episode 1.  So maybe I'll start watching live a day early.  Even though its old stuff, I mean.

• Love 1

What did they say when they had their Thursday night election specials?

Just watched one (from October 23, 2008, where Will Ferrell's Bush endorsed McCain/Palin) and they said "Live from New York, it's Saturday night!" So maybe they will say it tomorrow.

You know what would be cool? If they could get every cast member, past and present, to say it together.

The reason they still say "Live From New York, It's Saturday Night" is because it's the name of the show.  They've never really been stating the day, they've been saying the name of the show.

• Love 3

It's going to be really interesting to see how this unfolds.

What I'd like to see:

* Tom Hanks doing the monologue...again

* Tributes to SNL cast members whom have passed away

* Digital Short involving cast members from all eras

* A very VERY limited amount of Kristen Wiig (unlikely but I can dream, can't I?)

* David Spade/Jebediah Atkinson snark-off on cast members (bonus points if they focus on Eddie Murphy and then David waving up his white flag, ensuring victory of Jebediah)

* Fun musical guests that don't take up a ridiculous amount of time. 

* Five Timers Club Special Seating. 

I hope for Weekend Update to feature as many former anchors as possible. And I'm including Chevy, Eddie Murphy, and Norm.

• Love 1

I hope for Weekend Update to feature as many former anchors as possible. And I'm including Chevy, Eddie Murphy, and Norm.

I'm gonna need a reminder here.  Why would Eddie qualify for this again?  Did they let him do it once as a one off or something?

Really... there have been a LOT of anchors if you go back to day 1.  You could fill a whole studio with them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekend_Update

Well, that was uneven.  Putting all the new sketches (except Wayne's World) in the beginning made it feel like they had promised a different kind of anniversary show.  When they went to all clip show and unrelated to SNL musical guests, it felt like they had broken the promise made in the beginning of the show.  I spent the whole time waiting for the next sketch and the mini sketches tied into the clips didn't fulfill that.

• Love 2

Well, that was uneven.  Putting all the new sketches (except Wayne's World) in the beginning made it feel like they had promised a different kind of anniversary show.  When they went to all clip show and unrelated to SNL musical guests, it felt like they had broken the promise made in the beginning of the show.  I spent the whole time waiting for the next sketch and the mini sketches tied into the clips didn't fulfill that.

Agreed. And like a regular episode, about 40 minutes of it could've been cut out with zero loss of value. Looking your way, Kanye and Miley.

• Love 2

No mention of Jim Breuer, who was apparently in the crowd.  Bad blood, perhaps?  Would have loved to have seen a Joe Pesci show clip.

This special reminded me that while Robert DeNiro might be one of the greatest actors of all-time he is also one of the worst live performers of all-time.

I enjoyed it although this special went on way too long.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

Maya's Beyonce, Tina and Alec giving a shout out to Tracy and showing the classic Brian Fellows clip, and the beautiful shot of Jan Hooks used for In Memoriam are the only parts of the show that delighted me.  The rest of it just killed time so I could watch "The Jinx" at midnight for maximum creepiness.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 1

It was good, but there was some stuff they could have done without, like Miley performing (especially with Paul Simon already there) and the Californians sketch. I actually didn't mind Kanye's performance, but tonally, it was completely off for the show.  

There was a lot of montages of great stuff, then they would have a so-so live performance.  Barely any actual clips, and way too much stuff from the current seasons, which aren't that strong IMHO.  Live-wise, Weekend Update was good, and so was Wayne's World.  For being the King of SNL, Eddie Murphy's appearance was a joke.  

I wish they would have focused on some of their better 90s-2000s sketches like Jeopardy, the GAP Girls, Judge Judy, Church Lady, the Spartan Cheerleaders, etc.  And nothing on politics at all.  Stuff like the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal was gold for SNL.  Granted, I missed the first hour.  Maybe they did that stuff then?

• Love 1

I think I know why the special was front-loaded with the good stuff:

1) All the older viewers (like my parents) went to bed after the first half.

2) They predicted that people would switch over to the Walking Dead or the NBA All-Star Game.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

I thought it was pretty strong, all things considered, and I at least had a blast watching it. My favorite part was Bill Murray singing the "love theme from Jaws" (with Paul Schaffer on keyboards!). The shark gnawing on the boat while he sang that ballad really cracked me up.

Martin Short and Maya Rudolph were really great together, too. I had the same thought about Short that I did when I saw him host an episode in a recent season: what a consummate pro--timing, delivery, etc.

Mike Myers's Lorne impression ("It got a laugh, but was it the right kind of laugh?") was great, and he and Dana Carvey really captured their old chemistry.

The regrettable: It was too bad that Julia Louis-Dreyfus couldn't have been there to riff with Seinfeld and Larry David. I don't know what was up with Chevy Chase, but he came across as senile. Was a little disappointed that Eddie Murphy didn't do a sketch or even a joke after Chris Rock's buildup, but it is what it is. And why oh why did they have to do Garth and Kat? I would have rather seen Gilly.

• Love 5

I wish they would have focused on some of their better 90s-2000s sketches like Jeopardy, the GAP Girls, Judge Judy, Church Lady, the Spartan Cheerleaders, etc.  And nothing on politics at all.  Stuff like the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal was gold for SNL.  Granted, I missed the first hour.  Maybe they did that stuff then?

You missed the first hour? Had I missed the first hour, I would have been gone by the time Miley started singing.  But I was hoping it was a middle of the show derailing that would get back on track.