Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E00: The 40th Anniversary Special

• Start Topic

As I said in the media topic, I think it's going to be interesting (maybe even pretty controversial) who gets asked back and who doesn't.  Or seemingly there may even be some petty games with people (like Joe Piscopo) allegedly being given a seat in the audience to "watch" the proceedings, while his default comedy partner of their period, Eddie Murphy, is on stage.  Of course we don't have to even debate who stayed the big star and who sank into being a nobody in that pairing, but through the lens of SNL skits and celebrating them, you'd think they'd be on stage together--no matter how pathetic Piscopo became since then (not that Murphy in recent years hasn't nosedived in his public profile too).

I was also curious about which SNL anchor desk people get asked back.  I saw Norm MacDonald's name on the list of appearances and was shocked.  I personally love Norm, but know that he's just plain hard to watch and super-controversial to most people. And he left SNL under such a dark cloud (even though he was asked back to host once).  But then (as far as I've seen) there's no Dennis Miller invite.  Of course Miller has turned into something of a real wacko, so that's the practical explanation for it, but I wonder what the process has been for the invites and how transparent it will be.  Some like Miller, or even moreso raging insane Tea Partier Victoria Jackson, will be self-evident, but others maybe less so.

Then there's the list of people who were barely on SNL, but went on to successes elsewhere.  Do you parade lets say... Robert Downey Jr.around because he's a big name now, even though you'd be hard pressed to even find a clip of him on the show?  Or Ben Stiller.  Or Damon Wayans.  Or Gilbert Gottfried.  Or Randy Quaid.

• Love 1

If you have Casey Wilson coming back, then yes to all of those.  Though from what I understand Randy Quaid might have some legal issues.

Heck even Jean Doumanian is coming back.  So I would assume everyone who wants to come back has the opportunity.

Dennis Miller and Victoria Jackson are two I wondered about, and strictly by the length of both of their tenures on the show, they really should both be there.   I'm not sure if they would be invited on stage or not, though.  Janeane Garofalo is another interesting question.

Don't forget that Robert Downey also hosted back in the days after his drug arrest.  Lorne and the show were there for him.  It would be nice to see him return the favor.  Plus he is Jim Downey's nephew as well.

Or seemingly there may even be some petty games with people (like Joe Piscopo) allegedly being given a seat in the audience to "watch" the proceedings, while his default comedy partner of their period, Eddie Murphy, is on stage.  Of course we don't have to even debate who stayed the big star and who sank into being a nobody in that pairing, but through the lens of SNL skits and celebrating them, you'd think they'd be on stage together--no matter how pathetic Piscopo became since then (not that Murphy in recent years hasn't nosedived in his public profile too).

Nothing against Piscopo, who was always great on the show, but two things.  He's not one of Lorne's guys.  Maybe that's unfair, but that just is what it is.  Still  I'm happy he's coming.   The  bigger point is that comedy  partner or not, Eddie was in a class by himself in those years.  It's widely acknowledged that he is the only reason the show wasn't outright cancelled in the early '80s.

I think Julia  Sweeney also said she would be in the audience.

Leslie Jones posted some fantastic photos on her twitter.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Doumanian being there is... something.  I mean the very folks who weren't "Lorne's guys" were mainly there because of her.  Piscopo wasn't Lorne's, nor was Gottfried (for the short time he was there) but then again neither was Eddie. 

Now Dick Ebersol... if he's there somewhere in the audience... that'll be interesting.  Or Don Ohlmeyer.

I'm glad Sweeney will be there, and probably even gladder that they probably aren't going to stuff her in a "Pat" suit and put her on stage.

Heh.  And I just remember, Jay Mohr should be on that "got more famous off SNL" list too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPA-Ru9InDg

Edited by Kromm

Or seemingly there may even be some petty games with people (like Joe Piscopo) allegedly being given a seat in the audience to "watch" the proceedings, while his default comedy partner of their period, Eddie Murphy, is on stage

Nothing against Piscopo, who was always great on the show, but two things.  He's not one of Lorne's guys.  Maybe that's unfair, but that just is what it is.  Still  I'm happy he's coming.

Actually I remember Joe Piscopo taking part in the opening bit of the 15th Anniversary Special in 1989, where Chevy said he was going to do his trademark fall and people telling him he was too old. He was even able to make fun of his whole bodybuilding image at that point. There's a little screencap on the transcript page.

[ dissolve to Lorne Michaels' office, Chevy Chase seated in front of his desk eating popcorn out of a basket ]

Lorne Michaels: Chevy, I just can't let you do this fall. It's too dangerous.

Chevy Chase: Dangerous? Lorne, I did the fall every week.

Lorne Michaels: Chevy, you're fifty-eight years old!

Chevy Chase: Okay, but I feel as good as I did fifteen years ago!

Lorne Michaels: Fifteen years ago you were forty-three.

Chevy Chase: Yeah, and in fifteen years I'll be seventy-three. So what?

[ Jane Curtin leans in ]

Jane Curtin: What's going on?

Chevy Chase: Oh, hi, Jane.

Lorne Michaels: Chevy wants to do the fall.

Jane Curtin: But he's fifty-eight years old!

Lorne Michaels: I know.

Chevy Chase: What's the big deal about being fifty-eight years old? In my movies, I play guys in their late forties, early fifties.

Lorne Michaels: Chevy, it's the network. They're just not gonna insure anyone over fifty-five.
[ Joe Piscopo, dressed in a sleeveless tuxedo with muscles bulging, enters office ]

Joe Piscopo: Chevy, I just heard. Lorne, excuse me. Chevy, look, I can't let you do this. I mean, I love you, but you're not in shape. I think I should do the fall. [ flexes his arms to show Chevy his muscles ]

Chevy Chase: Thanks, Joe, but I'll be fine. Don't worry about me, okay?

Joe Piscopo: Lorne, are you gonna let this guy go out there, hmm? [ flexes a little more ] I mean, what is this guy, sixty years old?

Chevy Chase: [ stern ] I'm fifty-seven-and-a-half.

[ Joe Piscopo steps out of Chevy's way ]

Lorne Michaels: Good luck!

In reality Chevy was 46 at the time, but as a kid I believed he was that much older for years!

Edited by VCRTracking

For people who've seen the other anniversary specials...were there just as many non-cast members to attend as this special seems to have? I haven't actually written down all the names and counted, but it seems to be about an even split between cast members and past hosts/musical guests. Some I can understand because they have strong ties to the show, like Timberlake and Steve Martin, but, like, Taylor Swift? Kanye West? Emma Stone? I don't mind these people showing up (I don't even really like Taylor Swift but I thought her episode was hilarious, and I worship at the altar of Emma Stone), but it just seems odd and kind of takes away from the specialness of it. Like they're just trying to pack every celebrity they can into this thing in the hopes of attracting the largest audience. Tbh, I don't really give a fuck what Taylor Swift has to add to the special. She hosted/musical guested once and I think cameo-ed once. She has fuck-all to do with this show at the end of the day.

• Love 3

The anniversary specials are filled with celebrities have have really little to do with the show. Some are people who had only just hosted and some hadn't hosted in years, and some might be just friends of Lorne's. Some do bits like Christopher Walken but most are just in the audience watching the show.

Here's the opening bit from the 25th Anniversary with Bill Murray as his Nick the lounge singer character going into the audience:

I remember former writer Conan O'Brien talking about it  on his show and said the party afterward was like a crazy version of high school with all these celebrities talking to each other and trying to find a place to sit felt like being a geek going into the cafeteria! He finally found a seat next to someone and he turned around and it was Gary Busey! Busey was like "You want to take a chance on a madman on your show? Book me dude! Do it!" and Conan leaned back "Gaah!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

This week's Hollywood Reporter has dual covers featuring Lorne and all the members of the Five-Timers Club (with the exception of Buck Henry and Bill Murray). There's also an interview with him where he discusses his history with the show and talks a little bit about the anniversary special.

I thought this part was particularly interesting:

How did you pick the guest list and audience for the 40th anniversary show?

The rules we used were these: Every host was invited. Every musical guest was invited. Any castmember and writer who had been here longer than a year was invited. Not everybody is going to come. The other rule we used, which was just the simplest way to go, was if people sent back their RSVP, they were in the mix of people we could write for.

• Love 1

Emma Stone? I don't mind these people showing up (I don't even really like Taylor Swift but I thought her episode was hilarious, and I worship at the altar of Emma Stone), but it just seems odd and kind of takes away from the specialness of it.

I'm pretty sure Emma is a cast and crew favorite.  Maybe not to the level of Timberlake, but she's up there.  She's made it clear in the past that she's an "SNL Freak".  She would probably do anything they asked.

Any castmember and writer who had been here longer than a year was invited.

That's what i expected.  So there are no conspiracy theories about who was or was not invited.  If Eddie Murphy is going, Dennis Miller and Victoria Jackson  have no excuses.  I also wonder if Conan will attend.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Any castmember and writer who had been here longer than a year was invited.

Even Tim Kazarinsky?  Even Charles Rocket?  Even Horatio Sanz?  Even Gary Kroeger?   Even Brad Hall?  Even Jeff Richards?  Even Jim Breur? Even Brian Doyle-Murray? YUCK! (EDIT - Strike Charles Rocket. I thought he was there 2 years.  Turns out it was only 1).

Heh. And that 1 year rule certain excludes some interesting people.  No Janeane Garofalo I guess!  No Gilbert Gottfried.  No Anthony Michael Hall.  No Robert Downey Jr.--except he's invited under the guise of being a host.   No Joan Cusack.  No Damon Wayans.  Not that I'm saying any of them really deserve it, it's just interesting when you contemplate the famous folk who get cut out.  

But these rules mean Victoria Jackson WAS invited.  Imagine if she shows up!  It might be fun, her screaming Bible Thumping Right Wing shit from the audience.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

Even Charles Rocket?  Even Horatio Sanz?  Even Brian Doyle-Murray? YUCK! (EDIT - Strike Charles Rocket. I thought he was there 2 years.  Turns out it was only 1).

Well Charles Rocket.... there is a good reason why he won't be there.   Just saying.

Like him or not, Horatio Sanz had a long tenure. And Damon Wayans came back and hosted. 

• Love 5

I don't think the one year rule is strict because I remember Billy Crystal and Martin Short appearing in both the 15th and the 25th anniversary and they were there for only one year.

Even Jim Breur?

You can also see him in the audience in the Bill Murray video from the 25th anniversary I posted above and he had left the show just two years earlier.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
I don't think the one year rule is strict because I remember Billy Crystal and Martin Short appearing in both the 15th and the 25th anniversary and they were there for only one year.

They both hosted as well. The rule isn't strict, because generally, if these people are showing up, it's because they became famous (or with the case of Billy Crystal, was already famous and had hosted before joining the show) and have probably hosted since leaving.

Oh, well the fact that they asked back pretty much everyone makes me feel better. For a second it was like, why are these random-ass celebrities getting asked on when some cast members are missing? But I guess it's up to people to RSVP. I guess if they are any egregious absences, they can be written off as the person not having time in their schedule.

I'd really love a sketch with all the people who barely did anything as cast members but went on to other great achievements afterwards. Sarah Silverman and Julia Louis-Dreyfus come to mind (and Sarah's hosted now so she's technically eligible).

• Love 1

Oh I think that would land with such a collective thud if she tried that, which means she'll probably do it.

But I can't imagine Lorne would risk something like that overshadowing the Anniversary.

She'll make one or two "jokes" about the lamestream media and how she is still around. Whatever

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

I find the spin they put on the ads outright weird. As a long-time fan, I'm intrigued and nostalgic for erstwhile cast members. I couldn't possibly care less about people like Kanye West. Wtf does Kanye West even have to do with the show, other than being a frequent target for Jay Pharoah's on-point mockery? If he was a musical guest at some point, I neither remember nor care.

Which brings me to the selection criteria outlined above - I think it's ridiculous that musical guests would have precedence over actual cast members, regardless of how short their run was on the show. Musical guests aren't hosts - they infrequently appear in sketches and frankly could be cut entirely, for all I care. Honestly, the only ones I remember are the 'scandalous' ones, like Ashley Simpson lip-synching or Sinead O'Connor. If the reunion venue is short on chairs and has to cull the guest list, feel free to start with the long-forgotten musical guests.

• Love 1
Which brings me to the selection criteria outlined above - I think it's ridiculous that musical guests would have precedence over actual cast members, regardless of how short their run was on the show.

I may be wrong, but I believe most of the musical guests are there as musical guests, and not sketch performers. I don't care much for the musical numbers, and could do without them in the anniversary special, but I see why they have their place, since musical acts have always been a part of the show.

• Love 1

I may be wrong, but I believe most of the musical guests are there as musical guests, and not sketch performers. I don't care much for the musical numbers, and could do without them in the anniversary special, but I see why they have their place, since musical acts have always been a part of the show.

How would that even be possible?  I mean timewise music is approximately 5-6 minutes of their normal show.  The Anniversary Special is only twice the length of a normal episode (and maybe less, since it's in Primetime and probably has more commercials).  So they'd really be pushing it to have more than 4 music performances, and probably only really have time for 3. 

That's what i expected.  So there are no conspiracy theories about who was or was not invited.  If Eddie Murphy is going, Dennis Miller and Victoria Jackson  have no excuses.  I also wonder if Conan will attend.

Eddie being there is too good (for me) that until February 16th, it'll likely be a "believe it when I see it" case.  I will forever wonder how great it would have been if he had surfaced during that great run from 1986-1995 (save for Season 20).

Anyway, I agree that Dennis & Victoria won't have a reason to miss (really no one will have an excuse unless it's an actual legit one).  IMO, they'll probably show up but primarily to pay tribute to Jan.  Just a guess; they were last there in 1999 to remember Phil, along with Jon, Nora, Mike, & Kevin (Dana couldn't make it due to his recovery from a legitimate "medical situation"  IIRC).  Though in 1999, it was less than a decade removed from their run, and they had a role in the 25th Anniversary.  However, I think they'll be there, but I won't be too surprised if they didn't show up

Any chance we can live-post (here or in another forum) while watching the show?

If you guys think this is something you'd like to do, we can definitely set it up. Interested? Like this post!

Okay, we'll have a live chat topic here next week for you guys!

As always, thanks for posting....

• Love 8

Anyway, I agree that Dennis & Victoria won't have a reason to miss (really no one will have an excuse unless it's an actual legit one).  IMO, they'll probably show up but primarily to pay tribute to Jan.  Just a guess; they were last there in 1999 to remember Phil, along with Jon, Nora, Mike, & Kevin (Dana couldn't make it due to his recovery from a legitimate "medical situation"  IIRC).  Though in 1999, it was less than a decade removed from their run, and they had a role in the 25th Anniversary.  However, I think they'll be there, but I won't be too surprised if they didn't show up

I dunno.  Victoria spread out a nice big essay glowing about how talented she thought Jan was, but slips in there:

Jan didn’t seem to like me personally. We never really had a real conversation. I always thought the Sweeney Sisters should have been 3 instead of 2, like the McGuire Sisters or the Andrews Sisters…but, I wasn’t invited into the Sweeney Sisters’ writing sessions! In the book, “Live from New York” by Tom Shales, Jan was quoted as saying, “Victoria Jackson? I thought she had a pretty good gig. I have a particular repulsion to grown women who talk like little girls. And she’s a Christian. I don’t know – she was like from Mars to me. I never really got her.”

So I suppose if she shows depends on if her "Christian conscience" tells her she has to pay respects, but not if she's going by her actual relationship with Jan.

Dennis actually sounds really genuinely affectionate about her in this clip from his radio show (a few years before her death admittedly) , although again that doesn't mean there was any real connection or friendship there.

Edited by Kromm

I remember Dennis Miller telling that same story to Kenny Loggins on his talkshow in the 90s.  I hope he comes.  I agree he always had affection for her.  He also said that he and her probably had the worst nerves of that cast, and I think they bonded over that.  I also remember him having someone else from the Designing Women's cast on and grilling them on if they were being nice to "his friend Jan."

I hope to hear more stories like that at the Anniversary.

I wonder if  Sen. Franken and Palin balance each other out in equal time rules (if that's even still a thing?)

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I find the spin they put on the ads outright weird. As a long-time fan, I'm intrigued and nostalgic for erstwhile cast members. I couldn't possibly care less about people like Kanye West. Wtf does Kanye West even have to do with the show, other than being a frequent target for Jay Pharoah's on-point mockery? If he was a musical guest at some point, I neither remember nor care.

Which brings me to the selection criteria outlined above - I think it's ridiculous that musical guests would have precedence over actual cast members, regardless of how short their run was on the show. Musical guests aren't hosts - they infrequently appear in sketches and frankly could be cut entirely, for all I care. Honestly, the only ones I remember are the 'scandalous' ones, like Ashley Simpson lip-synching or Sinead O'Connor. If the reunion venue is short on chairs and has to cull the guest list, feel free to start with the long-forgotten musical guests.

Oh, yeah, Kanye was a guest.  I remember, because I remember thinking "damn, he sounds bad live!".  To my ear he was incredibly out of tune and should have never attempted to perform live.

Eddie being there is too good (for me) that until February 16th, it'll likely be a "believe it when I see it" case. 

I thought that too. Remember when he was going to host the Oscars and then.......didn't.

Oh, yeah, Kanye was a guest.  I remember, because I remember thinking "damn, he sounds bad live!".  To my ear he was incredibly out of tune and should have never attempted to perform live.

I will say, the first time Kanye was a musical guest (in the LeBron James episode), he had the funniest sketch of the night, where he played off his "getting upset he was losing awards" stories (this was before the Taylor Swift incident) and he really had no compunction about making fun of himself.  If he would be willing to do something like that again with Jay, I wouldn't be opposed.

I will say, the first time Kanye was a musical guest (in the LeBron James episode), he had the funniest sketch of the night, where he played off his "getting upset he was losing awards" stories (this was before the Taylor Swift incident) and he really had no compunction about making fun of himself.  If he would be willing to do something like that again with Jay, I wouldn't be opposed.

They could invite Beck as a musical guest then have Kanye walk in during the middle of Beck's performance and rant and rave at him that he's a racist for not giving Beyonce his Grammy.

They just confirmed Bradley Cooper.  It's kinda funny to think this could qualify as Oscar campaigning.

Another site I was reading was comparing all the speculation about who will be on stage vs in the audience to the old Dana Carvey sketch "Wait at the bar."

Jay Mohr?  Take it outside! Take it outside!

Okay, we'll have a live chat topic here next week for you guys!

As always, thanks for posting....

I just programmed my DVR for these specials, however, I am going to do my darndest to watch this live.  So very hard to believe it was 40 years ago when this started, and I watched it live ... I was 13 and I was babysitting kids and had to stay up so was flipping channels (not too many back then) and found George Carlin and about busted a gut.  I remember freaking out seeing Janis Ian perform live a song I was wearing out on my record player. 

Looking forward to it!

• Love 5

I am definitely watching live. There's bound to be at least one screw-up that gets cut in re-runs or when the show gets put up on line. I'm watching this for the nostalgia as much as I am for the million and one things that can go wrong when you have that many celebrities and former SNL-ers in one very tiny studio for three hours.

• Love 4

Kenan said there will be over 200 people making an appearance.

Do you mean on camera (vs. semi-anonymous in the audience)?

If so, 3 hours is actually like 135 minutes of airtime.  If they're shoving 200 people into that?  It's probably gonna suck.

• Love 1

If so, 3 hours is actually like 135 minutes of airtime.  If they're shoving 200 people into that?  It's probably gonna suck.

i'm actually feeling quite optimistic about it.  I'm ridiculously excited.

I've heard there is going to be more sketches than clips.

Btw I just saw that Joe Piscopo is now going to be on stage too.

I just refuse to go into it thinking it's going to suck.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5

i'm actually feeling quite optimistic about it.  I'm ridiculously excited.

I've heard there is going to be more sketches than clips.

Btw I just saw that Joe Piscopo is now going to be on stage too.

I just refuse to go into it thinking it's going to suck.

Good for Joe.  For all that he's kind of a musclehead who ruined his own career through... I dunno... lack of focus... I still kind of like him.  Assuming the two can stand being in a sketch together, I hope they put him up there next to Eddie, and that it doesn't suck.

• Love 1

I don't think the show's going to suck (though on the off-chance that it does, there's enough star-power in that room to at least distract the mainstream coverage it's sure to get the next day; seriously, sometimes they'll recap on Today how great an episode of SNL was just because so-and-so showed up...um, random cameos do not a good sketch make!) I think as long as they make the focus more about the cast members (and writers) than about the rando celebs, it should be a pretty decent special.

• Love 1