Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E00: The 40th Anniversary Special

• Start Topic

the beautiful shot of Jan Hooks used for In Memoriam

I believe that was from when she played Ann-Margret in the wonderful Waikiki Hockey sketch with Wayne Gretzky.  That was one of her best impressions. And yes, she was beautiful.

I still think if anybody won the show tonight, it was Jane Curtin.   i can just imagine someone leaning over to Jost and Che and saying, "That's how it's done, boys."

• Love 10

I still think if anybody won the show tonight, it was Jane Curtin.   i can just imagine someone leaning over to Jost and Che and saying, "That's how it's done, boys."

Jane fucking killed it. Makes her placement on that Rolling Stone list look like even more of a joke. She, Tina, and Amy doing Update was my favorite part of the whole night. That's something that I would have liked to go on for too long.

Now I'm gonna be depressed during the Dakota Johnson (!!!!!! ARE WE KIDDING WITH THIS !!!!!) show when we have to back to Colin and Michael.

• Love 7

One thing I will say: you can really tell the difference between comedians and Hollywood actors from the SNL 40th special. You actually saw wrinkles, paunches, silver hair, signs of aging. Guess the plastic surgery culture not so prevalent in comedians.

• Love 3

The New York City affiliate is playing New York Live instead, but it's probably exactly the same.

One thing I will say: you can really tell the difference between comedians and Hollywood actors from the SNL 40th special. You actually saw wrinkles, paunches, silver hair, signs of aging. Guess the plastic surgery culture not so prevalent in comedians.

I thought pretty much everybody looked good. I feel like when people get too much work done, it makes them look even older than they actually are. But it looks like most SNL-ers have decided to age naturally and they've probably benefited from it.

• Love 3
The regrettable: It was too bad that Julia Louis-Dreyfus couldn't have been there to riff with Seinfeld and Larry David. I don't know what was up with Chevy Chase, but he came across as senile. Was a little disappointed that Eddie Murphy didn't do a sketch or even a joke after Chris Rock's buildup, but it is what it is. And why oh why did they have to do Garth and Kat? I would have rather seen Gilly.

As much as I hate Gilly, I would've loved to pit her against some of the more annoying recurring characters (Sandler, Mary Catherine Gallagher, Annoying Man) to see who can out-bother each other.

• Love 3

Speaking of Garth and Kat, I know Garth is a name and all, but to me, there is but one Garth on SNL and he was in attendance with Wayne tonight. What a way to sully the name. The writers need to find a baby names book.

• Love 17

The New York City affiliate is playing New York Live instead, but it's probably exactly the same.

I thought pretty much everybody looked good. I feel like when people get too much work done, it makes them look even older than they actually are. But it looks like most SNL-ers have decided to age naturally and they've probably benefited from it.

Oh I agree. It was nice to see them aging naturally and looking good. The women too. Maya Rudolph, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Jane Curtin ... you noticed the thicker bodies, the wrinkles, but still beautiful women.

I also thought it was interesting how some of the old people still have chemistry together. Will Ferrell in the Celebrity Jeopardy with Norm MacDonald as Burt Reynolds ... still funny. Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld, same. Mike Myers and Dana Carvey in "Wayne's World," hilarious. Justin Timberlake/Jimmy Fallon, sweet. I don't know how much these people hang out on an every day basis but it was heartwarming to see them put in a room together and they're still funny together. 

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 6

Sucks that JLD didn't make it (though still glad she ended up hosting a couple of times within the past 10 years). Though with the limited time they might not have gotten to her, Larry, and Jerry. Speaking of time, I guess I'll hold (final) judgement on Eddie's segment.  I knew it wasn't going to be perfect; I didn't think it was bad, but I wish it could have been more.  Sounds like everything he did was off-camera, which is fair enough.  Anyway, it's official: Eddie has made one appearance on SNL with Lorne running things after appearing in every season that Lorne wasn't part of

Loved the opening with Jimmy & Justin. Could be a coin-flip from that opening and the one from 1999. As mentioned, Chevy opening would have been typical, but like many others, he probably felt best to do very little.  From Celebrity Jeopardy to the Film segment, overall it was a great show. Tough to be "perfect" but not a disaster.

• Love 1

Let's not go crazy here!

I think if I had to choose between Garth and Kat, and Gilly, I'd choose...death

Sorry, guys. I lost my head. Must have been a side effect of my brain liquefying during those torturous seconds.

I thought Wayne's World was strong, as was Jeopardy! (loved seeing Turd Ferguson again, and loved appreciating how Farrell's reaction shots are what saved that sketch with the audience a couple of times, whom i don't think were feeling either Bieber or Waltz). The Californians needed some significant tightening up, though, I thought.

• Love 1

Just some observations from the episode:

• I was really really hoping that they'd do an opening number musical number that included a ton more folks from the cast, much like (which is probably my favorite cold open of all time) "I'm Not Gonna Phone It In Tonight" but I guess they had the Martin Short and "Beyonce" thing. Regardless, I would've preferred to see something like that. 
  • They didn't drown it in Kristen Wiig which is awesome. Out of all the characters they chose, they went with Garth and Kat?! The absolute worst of them all? I would've rather seen Gilly. 
  • The Tina Fey/Amy Poehler/Jane Curtin update was great. Loved the Fox News joke. By the way, was I the only one who thought that Melissa McCarthy was going Pat at first? I really thought so. Emma Stone's Rosanne Rosannadana was a nice homage. And Edward Norton doing his own Stefon was pretty amusing. We need more Edward Norton hosting. 
  • I....didn't hate the Miley Cyrus cover of "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" I mean it wasn't like the greatest thing I ever heard but...she was actually kind of good. 
  • I really really really wished they showed more of Hartman's actual audition rather than just him being like "What am I gonna do?" and other intro-y sounding stuff. I mean his audition is amazing. It's a master's class of comedy. 
  • I thought there were too many musical acts. I mean 1 or 2 would be fine but man they went overboard. Also, I would've loved to have seen more artists colliding together to do stuff. 
  • I loved the Kanye jokes in the Wayne's World sketch not just because of the whole Beck and Kanye incident but also considering that it was Mike Myers in the sketch and considering one of the first times the two ever interacted....yeah. 
  • In the breaking short, was that Taran Killam who kept popping in randomly? I think it was. Also, I loved the shots at Bill Hader and Sanz & Fallon's constant giggles. Also, fun to see Hartman's breaking in the Tarzan, Tonto, and Frankenstein sketch. I love the story behind that one. 
  • I liked during the In Memoriam montage, they used the piano riff that they use to signify the end of the show. That was a really nice touch. Also, loved the end with Jon Lovitz being put in it and him wondering "WTF?!" and then Murray throwing in the Generalissimo Francisco Franco still being dead. Though man, for a minute, I thought he was announcing the death of someone from the show that just happened. Up until I heard "Spain", I was kind of nervous.
  • I smiled a bit when I saw the "Love is a Dream" short getting some significant montage time. That was one of my favorite things SNL has ever done even if it's not funny at all. 

Anyways, the show was just like any episode of SNL -- some really great moments, some mehh moments, musical guests that went on too long, and a lot of eyerolling. So yeah, pretty much the usual. It's kind of comforting in a way that it mirrored the average episode of SNL in a way. 

• Love 4

I believe that was from when she [Jan Hooks] played Ann-Margret in the wonderful Waikiki Hockey sketch with Wayne Gretzky.  That was one of her best impressions. And yes, she was beautiful.

She was. Look at these sexy people!

OEZuDFU.jpg

• Love 3

And Edward Norton doing his own Stefon was pretty amusing. We need more Edward Norton hosting.

I was just thinking that if somebody else was going to do Stefon, I wish it had been Anne Hathaway so it would have been a call back to the last time she hosted.

Mike Myers and David Spade in "Wayne's World,

Not to be a stickler, but that's Dana Carvey.   (I do remember a joke early in Spade's run where he said people thought he was Dana Carvey on the street.)

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

You missed the first hour? Had I missed the first hour, I would have been gone by the time Miley started singing.  But I was hoping it was a middle of the show derailing that would get back on track.

Same here.  I figured I'd missed the good stuff because there was so much meandering.  I did see the Jeopardy! sketch on EW.com and it was hilarious.  They could have done without the Christoph Waltz contestant, because I didn't think Taran sold it at all.

• Love 1

And the story is...? :-)

The story, according to Jon Lovitz in the Live from New York book, is that during that sketch, Phil was sitting there just normally and it just suddenly hit him about how surreal and hilarious the sketch's premise was (it was a talk show called Succinctly Speaking where Nora Dunn was the host and then there was Tarzan, Tonto and Frankenstein). So he starts having a fit of the giggles. After a while, he stops and it's all normal. Then he started thinking about how it would sounded if it was Frankenstein laughing and that just made him absolutely lose it. 

• Love 7

Just saw Chevy Chase on the West Coast feed, and I had seen him briefly in the pre-show interview. I hope he is all right.

Chevy seemed dottering on the red carpet*, and John Goodman seemed drunk during the Q&A with Jerry Seinfeld.

* He also seemed to regret leaving SNL after just one year.

• Love 1

I'm glad they had Lorraine Newman in The Californians sketch because I think she was the first person to ever do a "Valley" accent on television back in the 70s.

The old skit where there was a group therapy session including Belushi as Vito Corleone and Larraine as a valley girl. Her line was "Vito, you'rrre blocking." Love that.

• Love 3

The Californians needed some significant tightening up, though, I thought.

I've never felt that it worked well as three segments.  I also think it's such a specific skit with such specific accents that it's really hard to bring in outsiders--especially with such little preparation.  It was hard to understand them.  I don't think it's a coincidence that the strongest element was done with Betty White who didn't do the accent and just had some solid writing.

I have to say, Will Ferrell is still at the top of his game. He was great in the couple things he did.

He was just outstanding as Trebek.   I don't think I appreciated him as much as I should have when he was on the show but tonight reminded me of how much he is meant for this and this is meant for him. 

• Love 5

When they introduced the bit about the audition clips, I honestly thought it was going to be a gag and we'd get new clips of cast members imitating other cast members, which would've been a really clever idea.

I have to say, Will Ferrell is still at the top of his game. He was great in the couple things he did.

If anything, I thought they gave Ferrell too little to do.  He's considered by many (including me!) to be SNL's best castmember ever, and he's only Marty Culp and Alex Trebek?  Maybe it's typical of Ferrell's allegedly super-generous nature that he only wanted to do straight-man parts to give the spotlight to others.

• Love 1
I really really really wished they showed more of Hartman's actual audition rather than just him being like "What am I gonna do?" and other intro-y sounding stuff. I mean his audition is amazing. It's a master's class of comedy.

Oh, yes. Completely agree here. If you (general you!) have never had the opportunity to see it, check out YouTube. I'd think you'd almost never know it's an audition because Phil just...seamlessly tears through everything. What really burns me is, and I know this is probably too dark for this thread, but I now HATE watching Phil's intro pic in repeats, knowing the unseen blonde he is with in the booth is his wife/killer.

On another note, I also loved the shot of Jan Hooks in the In Memoriam segment. The "Love Is A Dream" short with Phil Hartman is so bittersweet now, just like Hartman/Farley at the end of their "So Long, Farewell!" skit after both men were leaving. That's also a nice picture with Kevin Nealon above; I did read Nealon/Hooks had dated for a while.

• Love 2

I get maybe 15 years ago, but why the all the ass kissing with Eddie Murphy now? And he couldn't even be bothered to do anything but come out, clap for himself and say thanks.

Props to Dan Akroyd for reviving a bit. Would have liked to see more cast members do the same.

And Why.The.Hell did Miley sing that when Paul Simon was actually there?!?!?!?

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 1

I get maybe 15 years ago, but why the all the ass kissing with Eddie Murphy now? And he couldn't even be bothered to do anything but come out, clap for himself and say thanks.

I actually liked seeing Eddie being sincere and not "on". He seemed really appreciative of the show and what it did for him and not just what he did for it.

• Love 3

He was in the WU montage. He held up a picture and said something like  "Find the Pope's end of the pizza."

I thought the most precious audition behind Gilda Radner's was Amy Poehler's. Just the way she dressed and carried herself.

• Love 1

I also realized someone Betty White's age wouldn't have a Valley accent since I posted that Laraine Newman was the first person on TV to ever be known to speak in one in the 70s! So she was totally correct in her acting choice not to bother with it!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I enjoyed it although this special went on way too long.

Isn't that the default legacy of SNL? (sketches going on too long, and constant theorizing every few years that the show itself has gone on too long?)

Unless I totally missed it, bummed that there was no mention of Don Novello (aka Father Guido Sarducci).

That sucks.  He's one of the key pieces from the early days.

I hated Will Ferrell when he was on the show. Looking back, I realize his greatness.

And since he's one of the great-ever cast members, it kind of sucks that there wasn't any shots (I believe) of Will Ferrell as Will Ferrell. Sure, he had those two skits. But he looked completely different. I think there should have been more of an emphasis on him.

• Love 2

Wasn't able to watch live as I'd planned.  So seeing it now.

Starting with #$#%ing Fallon is an insult to the show's long history.  It's NBC and Lorne Michaels cross-marketing him as the current host of  The Tonight Show, but honestly, I'd rather see just about every other person there more.

• Love 1

Sorry, guys. I lost my head. Must have been a side effect of my brain liquefying during those torturous seconds.

I thought Wayne's World was strong, as was Jeopardy! (loved seeing Turd Ferguson again, and loved appreciating how Farrell's reaction shots are what saved that sketch with the audience a couple of times, whom i don't think were feeling either Bieber or Waltz). The Californians needed some significant tightening up, though, I thought.

I think what happened with the Californians was that they saw it as the one skit that they could stuff in the most guest stars with little rehearsal and it grew all out of proportion.

I could nitpick, but I thought this was better than I expected and not the trainwreck I feared. I even enjoyed the Miley Cyrus song as a tribute to Paul Simon. The one bit I didn't get was devoting as much time as they did to that Kanye West production, which seemed parachuted in from a whole different show and didn't seem to have any relation to what was going on. I would have done something different.

• Love 2
When they introduced the bit about the audition clips, I honestly thought it was going to be a gag and we'd get new clips of cast members imitating other cast members, which would've been a really clever idea.

When they added "people who didn't make it" I was convinced it would go into one of those parody auditions, where the cast would flex their favorite celebrity impressions. Those were always my favorite bits. 

• Love 1

Rickster, I came on here to say the same thing.  Does Kanye have the goods on someone?  How does he keep getting all this attention?  I felt sad that Paul Simon and McCartney sounded so rough.  I know they're in their 70's.  Can't go wrong with Turd Ferguson.

Simon & McCartney's voices are pale shadows of what they once were.  Johny Cash had a rich, old man voice, and adapted his performance to embrace it. Simon & McCartney have failed to adapt their songs to their new vocal reality.

I can't believe they interrupted Martin Short, who was in fine form, with the abomination upon the Earth that is Garth & Kat. This skit is done strictly for Fred & Kirsten's amusement, they're the only ones enjoying it.  They should do it in private.

I loved this:

Jerry Seinfeld: "Are you going to the after party?"

Larry David: "Noooo-aaaahhh!"

Larry must have undertipped some important underling at the last party, LOL.

Eddie Murphy's spark is long gone.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 3

Simon & McCartney's voices are pale shadows of what they once were.  Johny Cash had a rich, old man voice, and adapted his performance to embrace it. Simon & McCartney have failed to adapt their songs to their new vocal reality.

I can't believe they interrupted Martin Short, who was in fine form, for the abomination upon the Earth that is Garth & Kat. This skit is done strictly for Fred & Kirsten's amusement, they're the only ones enjoying it.  They should do it in private.

I loved this:

Jerry Seinfeld: "Are you going to the after party?"

Larry David: "Noooo-aaaahhh!"

Larry must have undertipped some important underling at the last party, LOL.

Eddie Murphy's spark is long gone.

I dunno.  Short has for the past few years gotten on my nerves consistently, and this was only marginally better. 

I did like the fact that this special reminded me how talented Will Ferrell actually is, when most everything he's done since leaving the show has been inferior (compared to what he did ON the show I mean).  Will was such an underpinningsof the show when he was on.  And that and the clips of Phil Hartman reminded me that was true of Phil too (although unlike with Ferrell, I liked everything Phil did off SNL just as much as what he did on it).

And Eddie?  Well he wasn't as bad as his colleague Joe Piscopo.  The one primo thing he did on the show (the Sinatra impression) and he's TOTALLY lost it.  That SUCKED.  I gotta give it to Adam Sandler though, in that same segment.  So often he phones it in comedywise in recent years.  But his Operaman bit last night really really entertained me.  And Bill Murray too.  Murray still has a commitment to a silly joke (because he's not SUPPOSED to be a good singer) that so many of these older guys don't, and that piece proved it (and it was funny seeing Paul Shaffer bouncing around behind him).  I gotta contrast Murray, for example, to Dan Ackroyd, for example, who just seemed SO effing old and uncommitted to everything he did on the special.

But Murphy?  Yeah.  Having Chris Rock intro him maybe even made it worse.  Rock is in some ways "over it" and in a different stage of his life. But he seems super-into-it compared to Eddie.  I actually don't mind that Eddie got introduced as "the savior of the show".  I just wish he hadn't phoned it in after that.

As for Simon & McCartney?  They have on and off days in recent years.  I don't think last night was really "on" for either of them. Heck, for Simon, on some level it must suck to have Miley Cyrus do one of your songs better than your little slice for the night (she did herself a huge unexpected service by doing a straight respectful singing performance, with no theatrics, actually featuring that great voice she pretty much NEVER shows in her pop career).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

It was in a heavily exaggerated Italian accent: "Find-a da Pope-a in-a da pizza". If I recall correctly from repeats, it was some kind of contest.

Through the miracle of this thing called the internet, you can see the skit here.  :-)

Simon & McCartney's voices are pale shadows of what they once were.

A friend heard McCartney the night before at Irving Plaza, a small NYC venue where she sat 15 feet from the stage, and she said he sounded great.  Somehow, he always sounds awful on SNL.  I almost didn't go to his Wrigley Field concert a few years ago because of how bad he'd sounded on SNL a few months earlier, but that concert also turned out to be great and something I'm now really glad I did not miss.

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 2

I thought it was a good first half but completely lost it in the second half.  Still, pretty enjoyable.

-Always good to see Celebrity Jeopardy, which I'm glad still gets whipped out once and a while.  I don't like Alec Baldwin personally but he consistently makes me laugh and his Tony Bennet's impersonation is never not funny.  Highlight of the skit.

-Glad to see the return of ESPN Classics, another consistently funny sketch.  It needed to go on longer though.

-I don't get the whole unfunny Californian sketch and why they let it go on for SOOOOOOOO long.

-Chris Rock's introduction was great, Eddie Murphy's appearance not so much.  I'm betting he left immediately after his appearance too.

-Christopher Walken is one of the best hosts the show has ever had but they only use him for five seconds to introduce Kayne West?  Really?!

-Did Jim Breuer piss someone off to warrant no mention?  I think I've heard something about that in the past.  Would have loved a Joe Pesci show clip or reference.

-Robert DeNiro might be one of the greatest actors of all-time but his appearances remind me that he is one of the worst live performers of all-time.  Seriously, he's completely incapable of doing anything live.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

Agreed. And like a regular episode, about 40 minutes of it could've been cut out with zero loss of value. Looking your way, Kanye and Miley.

I am fine with them inviting past musical acts to the taping, but it seemed really unnecessary to have either of Kanye or Miley's performances as part of the special. I would have preferred that those two things be cut in favor or anything else: more clips, more skits, or a shorter show. I think they are both overrated.

And, sadly, in agreement with those who noted the extent to which both Pauls' voices have declined.

I agree. For me, McCartney's voice sounded far worse. Part of growing older as a singer is realizing how your voice changes and making adjustments. You can change the key, change up the melody, or just choose songs in a lower range. I know I shouldn't be too critical considering that they are both in their 70s. I would have preferred Paul Simon (old voice and all) to Miley singing one of his songs.

The Californians definitely went on way too long. To be honest, the Jeopardy skit was probably too long too but the difference is that the Jeopardy skit was funny.

I was disappointed that Eddie Murphy came out, said thank you, and then...nothing.

Loved weekend update with Jane, Tina, and Amy! It was nice to see Tina and Alec introduce Tracy's segment. Glad to see he is doing better. Poor guy.

• Love 4

Oh I agree. It was nice to see them aging naturally and looking good. The women too. Maya Rudolph, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Jane Curtin ... you noticed the thicker bodies, the wrinkles, but still beautiful women.

I also thought it was interesting how some of the old people still have chemistry together. Will Ferrell in the Celebrity Jeopardy with Norm MacDonald as Burt Reynolds ... still funny. Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld, same. Mike Myers and Dana Carvey in "Wayne's World," hilarious. Justin Timberlake/Jimmy Fallon, sweet. I don't know how much these people hang out on an every day basis but it was heartwarming to see them put in a room together and they're still funny together. 

Can agree on all of those other than Fallon.  And add Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey as well to the good list.  Just a small bit, but perfectly done.

As for Jerry?  I go hot and cold on him overall, but I thought his handling of a difficult piece (those on stage fake-audience interaction bits are actually very hard) was fairly masterful.  I was still high on that bit when the show had to subject me to Kanye "Ego" West.  Meh.

• Love 1