Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Sit-In

Tara Ariano

Okay, Jessa is the biggest piece of shit in the universe.  Can she just die of a heroin overdose already?  Hannah has been a good friend to Jessa all these years when others would have written her off.  And to set Adam up with Mimi Rose?!!!  What the fuck!

"Maybe don't call me kid anymore."

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 12

"But I'm creaming your feet...." Caroline and Laird were so nice and inappropriate. And Caroline illustrating perfectly why this is actually the best thing for both Hannah and Adam, even though she didn't know, cause she's crazy. 

Ray is my favourite- I wish I had thought to call Desi "Mumford or son". 

This was so well written and well acted. I'm not even mad at Jessa, because basically not a single one of these girls have moral superiority over each other because they are all kind of terrible. It's a well acted, well written show about terrible people. 

And I sort of love Mimi-Rose Howard. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 5

The break up scene between Hannah and Adam was so well done.  After all of the conversations with everyone else, it was nice to see something that felt so real between these two.  Of course, he hadn't yet found the waste basket full of urine. 

• Love 7
I can't imagine a more raw, real, and true- to - character break up scene for Hannah and Adam.

This x10! I think this is the most honest they've ever been with each other.

Jessa should be dead to Hannah; I don't see how they can ever be any sort of "friends" after this.

So Hannah's going to sleep in the storage unit until Adam moves out?

• Love 5

That was really a beautiful breakup. I wish any of mine had been that honest and mature.

Shallow note: Hannah just spent the day lying around on someone else's sheets? Someone who's been making happy juice on those sheets w her boyfriend? No thank you.

• Love 6

Shallow note: Hannah just spent the day lying around on someone else's sheets? Someone who's been making happy juice on those sheets w her boyfriend? No thank you.

Mimi-Rose Howard seems like the type who changes her sheets often. Most likely the linens are cleaner now then when Hannah lived there.

• Love 6

This was the first episode since probably season one that I genuinely enjoyed all the way through.  Hannah was relatable and I loved the almost dream-like quality to her emerging from the room to find the different people there waiting for her (with Laird/Caroline and Ray).  Ray was my favorite, as usual, and I loved how wrong he was about taking care of Hannah's burn.  I'll expect a return to form next week, but I hope the quality can strive to stay in this vein.

• Love 6

"Maybe don't call me kid anymore."

I was coming here to note this line. That whole moment was perfect. As soon as he called her "kid" it was a stab in my heart. I didn't even like their relationship, but that affectionate knick-name was so well established, and I know how painful it can be to have reminders of what once was hit you like that after a relationship is over. Loved that Hannah actually told him not to do it anymore.

Agree with you all in general that the breakup was very well written. I felt so bad for Hannah, and that's a very rare experience.

• Love 7

Wow. Those were actual real emotions! I still have mixed feeling about Hannah and Adam and how everything went down, but that was probably the most real this show has been in ages. I normally don't think much of Lena Dunham as an actress (shes not bad or anything, just she never really grabs me, and Hannah is such a hard character to watch sometimes, it might affect my enjoyment of the performance), but she was just wonderful here. 

• Love 7

I was coming here to note this line. That whole moment was perfect. As soon as he called her "kid" it was a stab in my heart. I didn't even like their relationship, but that affectionate knick-name was so well established, and I know how painful it can be to have reminders of what once was hit you like that after a relationship is over. Loved that Hannah actually told him not to do it anymore.

My moniker came from a running joke between my ex husband and myself. After we broke up he slipped and called me "bunny" once on the phone, and I just said, "NO." So, yeah, big ouch moment.

Something about Jessa's bitter speech at Hanna piqued my imagination-- does she have a crush on Hanna?

Naaaaah...

normally don't think much of Lena Dunham as an actress (shes not bad or anything, just she never really grabs me, and Hannah is such a hard character to watch sometimes, it might affect my enjoyment of the performance), but she was just wonderful here.

She was riveting, all the way through. her subdues tears in the bathroom scene with Marnie, her deadpan responses to Ray while he was talking about Marnie-- she killed it. 

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 4
Something about Jessa's bitter speech at Hanna piqued my imagination-- does she have a crush on Hanna?

Naaaaah...

Jessa and Hannah have sadist/mysogonist friendship.  We usually only use these terms for sexual relationships, but it can appy to platonic relationships as well.  Jessa will never pass up a chance to abuse or humiliate Hannah, because she is both envious and repulsed by her.  Hannah, who has been coddled all her life, is grossly fascinated by this treatment and almost worships Jessa.  In other words, the sick friendship is not going anywhere. 

I also thought it was very interesting that not only did Jessa set Adam up with a girl...she set him up with the perfect girl for him.  She is smart, creative, sucessful, and very mature.  She is also quirky enough that she can handle his wierdness.  I think by the end of the program both Hannah and the audience had fallen a little in love with Mimi-Rose.

There is a chance that Jessa could do something in the next couple of episodes that totally redeem her.  However, at the end of the day, dating Mimi-Rose so easily is more on Adam then Jessa.  The relationship with Hannah was truly over for him.

• Love 5

This was the first episode since probably season one that I genuinely enjoyed all the way through.

I totally agree w/this statement.

I also don't see how Hannah and Jessa could still be friends after that admission, but then again Hannah does seem to like misery so the friendship will always be there.

That breakup was so real and like others, I could totally relate to the reasons for the break-up.  It made me sad all over again.

• Love 2

Jessa was Jessa: she did something shitty but her reasoning wasn't really unsound. Hannah was going away for two years, and Adam deserved to be happy. At this point it's clear that Jessa is closer to Adam, even though she has more history with Hannah.

But anyway, even if Jessa is no longer friends with Hannah I want her around just to hear lines like, "Are you on furlough?" 

• Love 5

Did Marnie say she went "woodshedding"? What is that?

I liked Mimi-Rose Howard mistaking Shoshana for Marnie.

I feel ambivalent about this episode. On one hand, I feel as if Hannah and Adam were never this Great True Love to begin with. On the other hand, how difficult would it have been for Adam to just tell Hannah on the phone that the relationship was over.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 2

"I want her around just to hear lines like, "Are you on furlough?"

This!  And immediately before she asks this, Jessa murmurs, "Aren't you supposed to be in Idaho?" or something to that effect.  I currently live in Iowa City, so I found that little throw-away line to be awesome.

• Love 8

Mimi-Rose Howard seems like the type who changes her sheets often. Most likely the linens are cleaner now then when Hannah lived there.

Didn't a couple of people suggest to Hannah that she might want to take a bath this episode? I can't imagine that she has exemplary hygiene.

Did Marnie say she went "woodshedding"? What is that?

It's a term that musicians use when they're practicing new stuff. I've only ever heard jazz musicians say it. Old ones. I can imagine that Ass-crack Face is precious enough to use that term and to have taught it to Marnie. Gag.

• Love 4

Easily the best episode since the first season, and that breakup scene gutted me. I'm a happily married 35 year old with two kids and I was suddenly flashing back to the painful breakup of my only other long term relationship, when I was 26. Just brutal.

One thing confused me: did Adam and Hannah not actually break up before she left for Iowa? I've been confused about that since before this episode. It seemed like they never did officially break up and that it was only kind of implied. So that does make Adam a pretty huge douchebag if you ask me. They hadn't officially broken up and she's been gone for ONE MONTH, and he's taken over her apartment, moved out all her shit and moved in a new girlfriend? What the ever loving fuck!? I don't blame her for having a meltdown.

The furniture thing alone would piss me off like no other--even if they were 100% over he couldn't call her to tell her he was putting her stuff in storage and ask her if that was ok?

• Love 12

I did like that Marnie eventually came around and said the real reason she was incommunicado was b/c she didn't know how / have the courage yet to tell Hannah the truth about Hannah and Adam's relationship.  That is such a best friend thing where you avoid the other  for awhile who needs you / wants the truth from you.  It cemented the Hannah/Marnie relationship for me again.

• Love 7

I did like that Marnie eventually came around and said the real reason she was incommunicado was b/c she didn't know how / have the courage yet to tell Hannah the truth about Hannah and Adam's relationship.  That is such a best friend thing where you avoid the other  for awhile who needs you / wants the truth from you.  It cemented the Hannah/Marnie relationship for me again.

I thought their scene together was great. I loved Marnie's "This is not one of your more convincing fake showers". 

• Love 4

Jesse has zero loyalty and still has the same mentality she had when she was using. I guess it's no surprise but most people wouldn't be able to move past that sort of betrayal.

Loved that Marnie was the only true friend to Hannah in this episode.

• Love 1

Oh please, as if two butt-ugly dudes like Ray and Adam would ever get laid by the likes of Marnie or Mimi-Rose. It's kind of weird to see this coming from a female show-creator, though. It's usually male writers who indulge in fantasies of unattractive men with pretty wives/girlfriends. (See The King of Queens or anything ever by Woody Allen)

• Love 1

Oh please, as if two butt-ugly dudes like Ray and Adam would ever get laid by the likes of Marnie or Mimi-Rose. It's kind of weird to see this coming from a female show-creator, though. It's usually m

I see ugly dudes with very attractive wives/girlfriends ALL OF THE TIME. And it always makes me kind of angry because i think what hope does that leave for the more average looking women out there? Especially since I almost never see the reverse, a hot guy with a not-that-attractive girlfriend. Besides, I agree that Ray is unattractive but I think Adam Driver appeals to a lot of women, especially since he has a great body. I find him and Mimi-Rose to be a very believable couple. I felt bad for Hannah having to see that her ex-boyfriend traded up so dramatically. 

Edited by PetuniaP
  • Love 8
I felt bad for Hannah having to see that her ex-boyfriend traded up so dramatically.

And not for the first time. Natalia was very pretty as well. Obviously she was a terrible match for him, but she was very attracted to him initially. I wonder though, does Hannah have a realistic view of her own attractiveness? She did walk around in a bikini all day in the beach house episode and seemed to be taken aback when Elijah and his gay entourage made fun of her. And she threw herself at hot doctor Joshua. A girl who doesn't think she's attractive would never go for that.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 6

It was very dreamlike and while people eventually showed up for Hannah, they still were all about themselves. Not that Hannah is ever any different. I'm not sure Hannah was so much heartbroken to find that Adam had replaced her but she was so confident she would replace him before he replaced her. She did expect to step back into her life as she had left it. And I thought the Iowa thing was only 2 months not two years. There's no way you could ask Adam to wait 2 years with that much unsaid. But given the way it went down, I woulda demanded the apartment back quicker. 

I thought it was odd that Hannah was always asking if Marnie or Jessa if they had talked to Adam, I understood keeping tabs and trying to act non chalant but the conversation with Jessa after AA makes more sense now, I thought Adam was complaining about when he talks to Hannah, or the weird vibe there but I guess it was the new Mimi Rose thing. 

And not for the first time. Natalia was very pretty as well. Obviously she was a terrible match for him, but she was very attracted to him initially. I wonder though, does Hannah have a realistic view of her own attractiveness? She did walk around in a bikini all day in the beach house episode and seemed to be taken aback when Elijah and his gay entourage made fun of her. And she threw herself at hot doctor Joshua. A girl who doesn't think she's attractive would never go for that.

And remember how shocked Natalia and her friend were when they key Hannah in the coffee shop and vice versa? They were shocked Hannah was so unattractive and Hannah was shocked at how pretty Natalia was.

• Love 2

Oh please, as if two butt-ugly dudes like Ray and Adam would ever get laid by the likes of Marnie or Mimi-Rose. It's kind of weird to see this coming from a female show-creator, though. It's usually male writers who indulge in fantasies of unattractive men with pretty wives/girlfriends. (See The King of Queens or anything ever by Woody Allen)

shallow/ I agree about Ray...I think he is so unattractive, and I do not get the love for his character.

On the other hand, I think Adam is cute. Yeah, he's goofy-looking, but with his hair grown out to cover his weird ears, he's kind of adorable.  As someone said above, he's got a nice body, so that makes up for his rat-like face. Haha.  /shallow

And I'm reverse - I think Ray is kind of cute. Adam does nothing for me.

I loved this episode. I think everyone has been in a situation when the relationship is shitty and terrible and everyone else can see it but you.  Her mom saw it last year with that talk during her grandma's death.  Her friends saw it.  Adam saw it. Everyone saw it but Hannah.  Tonight she had to realize it on her own and she did. 

She's kind of hitting rock bottom with her life - I would imagine this is all going to help her art. 

• Love 6

I have no idea what funny little insight I'm supposed to get from Adam's behavior. Don't date a sociopath? Don't be friends with one? That was my take away from Jessa and Adam. And they're not that young. Jessa is 25 and I think Adam is older, closer to 30. That's old enough to make a phone call regarding the subject of someone's boyfriend having another live in girlfriend! I mean, CHRIST! He wasn't dating her. She was living there. Adam put Hannah's things in storage. He knocked down a wall in a rental that may still have Hannah's name on the lease. And he never mentioned anything to her. That's just. I just can't. How can anyone pretend that's not crazy?

• Love 14

Yeah.. I was confused on that as well and how to make any sort of sense of it. It seems as though Hannah and Adam never had the break up talk. He never called to mention meeting someone new AND LETTING THIS PERSON MOVE IN TO HANNAHS PLACE. That's a pretty big thing to not mention. And I don't understand why this new girl would just move into the apartment if it was obvious Adam never told her. Also the end of the episode really pissed me off, YES ADAM SHOULD MOVE OUT, but also moving out after you have broken a wall or two.. WTF? I agree with you, the whole thing is crazy but also just really messed up. The apartment is Hannah's. Adam has no place in JUST GIVING IT TO HIMSELF. I can't even with that either.

Yeah and don't get me started about Jessa's little speach about how Hannah moved away and she couldn't just sit around and flick her clit. For starters: what the fuck? Learn to express a though. Second: what the fuck? A friend of yours went to grad school. What are you supposed to do? Live your life, you spoiled little empty shell of a bitch. How does this even impact her? I had a ton of friends move at that age. Hell, I'd say my friends averaged at least 2 big moves between 22 and 30. It's what happens. No one. I mean, NO ONE I know had that reaction. I do not get how that is a normal conversation even in the GIRLS world of arrested development. I'm not even sure what is supposed to be happening between Hannah and Jessa. The whole thing is so contrived.

• Love 9

I honestly think Jessa was passive aggressively punishing Hannah for leaving her.  She was also probably jealous that Hannah got into such a top notch program (however unlikely that might be).  Jessa is a very selfish person and she can be a very dangerous type of friend to have.  The world exists for her and nothing else matters.  Also, she loves to fuck with people just because it gives her power in their lives.

She gets away with a lot because people see her as an ultra cool pretty blonde woman.  When her looks go, she is going to be in worse shape then Marnie.  The whole spiel about her wanting to look like she is fifty at thirty, because she will be so filled with life experience was bullshit.  Jessa craves security and success just as much as anybody but, like Hannah, she does not think she should have to work for it.

• Love 10

It was a total dick move on Adam's part to move Hannah out without telling her and move Mimi-Rose in.  He has never been the best at communication.  The only hint we had to what was going on was their lack of phone calls after she left for Iowa.  But I don't remember them establishing him as being reticent to use the phone previously.  He may not have been at Hannah levels of over-sharing, but he did text and answer phone calls.  

I assume he didn't say anything because he foolishly thought Hannah would last longer in Iowa.  She got into her two-year dream program and washed herself out in two months.  He could lie to himself and say he was holding the apartment for her so she would have a place when she returned or some other self-serving BS.  Of course, it took him a little while to realize he needed to leave when she did return.  

As for Jessa, there are no words.  She is a terrible friend in every possible way - selfish, narcissistic, cruel . . . .

• Love 4

It seems odd that Mimi-Rose has moved in with Adam. She seems to be doing very well for herself. If she graduated from RISD in 2007, then she is 29ish and has gotten real-job experience and probably has something groovy going on. Furthermore, the fact that she has a Ted-Talk of her very own shows she is at least a semi-mover/shaker in the professional world she inhabits. My point is that she probably has a decent job that pays for a nice apartment, something she probably wouldn't give up to move in with a guy she has known for a month, and who she was introduced to by Jessa of all people. 

Edited by beeble
  • Love 5

It seems odd that Mimi-Rose has moved in with Adam. She seems to be doing very well for herself. If she graduated from RISD in 2007, then she is 29ish and has gotten real-job experience and probably has something groovy going on. Furthermore, the fact that she has a Ted-Talk of her very own shows she is at least a semi-mover/shaker in the professional world she inhabits. My point is that she probably has a decent job that pays for a nice apartment, something she probably wouldn't give up to move in with a guy she has known for a month, and who she was introduced to by Jessa of all people.

I believe Jessa explained that M R had recently arrived in/returned to NYC.

But what was Adam's plan??

Was Hannah never in two years going to come back to NYC? Not for a holiday? To surprise Marnie on her birthday? To visit a sick relative? Get a slice of cheesecake from Juniors or a pastrami sandwich from Katz? Or how about just damn cause? What was the plan to hide this new chick with a mailbox key?

And what goes thru the mind of a woman who moves in with a guy who just happens to have an apartment full of some other chicks shit?

"We'll just move all of the apartment owners stuff out and knock out some walls".

" Oh, ok then!"

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 8

Didn't Adam make a comment in this episode that Hannah had signed the apartment over to him?  The whole thing is so confusing.  I think it's really just bad writing.  Lena has never been good at writing consistent characters.  Jessa has never had anything to do - the character has potential but now she's total trash.  On the other hand, Adam kinda-sorta-raped his ex in that one episode and ended up becoming a beloved boyfriend, so Lena can just write her way out of this corner with Jessa if she chooses to.

It doesn't make any sense - Adam moving another person in, getting rid of Hannah's stuff, Jessa being so cavalier... it's just a way to make the audience hate the Hannah character a little less.

• Love 1

FWIW, I think Ray (and the actor) is attractive. When the show first started I didn't think Adam was at all. He was weird looking. But as I've gotten more used to him, I think he's often attractive. Of course, someone can be attractive without exhibiting the standard ideas of beauty.

• Love 5

Adam handled that whole situation like a selfish immature idiot. If he knew it wasn't working out... he should have told Hannah and moved out of HER apartment with his new boo. There is no excuse for his behavior... even if their relationship was supposedly not working for them.

Jessa is cruel and passive-aggressive. She is an abusive friend and when you call her on her shit, she acts all offended like she can't understand why you could possibly be upset. Setting up your friend's boyfriend with another woman... is just beyond words. 

Edited by Bandolero
  • Love 7