Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Sit-In

Tara Ariano

I guess there was a rush to even Adam up with the rest of the cast. So many of my friends have said, "Adam's the only likable character." So as it happens Adam is just as big a jerk as everyone else.

• Love 2

Adam handled that whole situation like a selfish immature idiot. If he knew it wasn't working out... he should have told Hannah and moved out of HER apartment with his new boo. There is no excuse for his behavior... even if their relationship was supposedly not working for them.

Jessa is cruel and passive-aggressive. She is an abusive friend and when you call her on her shit, she acts all offended like she can't understand why you could possibly be upset. Setting up your friend's boyfriend with another woman... is just beyond words.

Yeah, it is beyond. So is asking a new GF to move in before you've even told your other GF that you think you should see other people, so is moving in with someone unde these circumstances. This is the shit that goes beyond life is messy into these are a bunch of people with extreme personality disorders.

• Love 2

Easily the best episode since the first season, and that breakup scene gutted me. I'm a happily married 35 year old with two kids and I was suddenly flashing back to the painful breakup of my only other long term relationship, when I was 26. Just brutal.

Very much like that for me as well, with the addition that Adam Driver looks almost exactly like my ex. I started feeling things I'd gotten over years ago during this scene.

I've never thought Lena was doing a whole lot of acting, but in this scene, she nailed it. She was vulnerable and I actually felt for her.

• Love 1

I see ugly dudes with very attractive wives/girlfriends ALL OF THE TIME. And it always makes me kind of angry because i think what hope does that leave for the more average looking women out there? Especially since I almost never see the reverse, a hot guy with a not-that-attractive girlfriend. 

I actually see this reasonably often-- in real life. For some reason the folks in TV land are terrified to tell this particular story.

Aside from Marnie I don't think anyone on this show is exactly cover model material and I like it. Jessa is attractive but she isn't stick skinny and when she wandered around in front of the web cam in panties for Hannah she had cottage cheese thighs. I'm ok with all of that, there are more of "us" less thans out there than there are A+'s. Tv doesn't reflect that at all. And NYC has a very weird base line of attractive compared to the rest of the USA. When I see society pages/columns/stories they have some of the most hideous people and it's all about money. I gauge someone's attractiveness over time and I thought both Ray and Adam were a bit goofy looking but now they're just regular people. 

• Love 2

I have no idea what funny little insight I'm supposed to get from Adam's behavior. Don't date a sociopath? Don't be friends with one? That was my take away from Jessa and Adam. And they're not that young. Jessa is 25 and I think Adam is older, closer to 30. That's old enough to make a phone call regarding the subject of someone's boyfriend having another live in girlfriend! I mean, CHRIST! He wasn't dating her. She was living there. Adam put Hannah's things in storage. He knocked down a wall in a rental that may still have Hannah's name on the lease. And he never mentioned anything to her. That's just. I just can't. How can anyone pretend that's not crazy?

Agree. A lot happened in that month.  Adam was a coward.

What is Hannah going to do about the wall.

Maybe it's because I've rented a lot, but the wall thing floored me. (Hehe. See what I did there?) if it had been me it would have been a toss up as to which I was more pissed about: My BF meeting, dating, and moving in with a new GF all without mentioning anything to me or DESTROYING PROPERTY THAT HAS MY NAME ON THE LEASE! Who on god's green earth knocks down a wall in a rental? We live in a society people. We are not animals.

• Love 10

The conversation between Adam and Jessa at one of the AA meetings: he was complaining that she wanted to talk about what they did or did not offer at the Dunkin Donuts. Did I recall that correctly? Wasn't that a phone conversation he had had with Hannah? So Adam and Hannah were talking on the phone after she left for Iowa?

The conversation between Adam and Jessa at one of the AA meetings: he was complaining that she wanted to talk about what they did or did not offer at the Dunkin Donuts. Did I recall that correctly? Wasn't that a phone conversation he had had with Hannah? So Adam and Hannah were talking on the phone after she left for Iowa?

You're right. They were talking, he just never brought up the fact that HE BROKE UP WITH HER IN HIS HEAD!

• Love 3

I actually see this reasonably often-- in real life. For some reason the folks in TV land are terrified to tell this particular story.

You'd think they would try this more often for the media attention alone--there was that ONE episode where Hannah gets with the super hot guy and the whole Internet lost its shit because apparently a smoking hot guy would NEVER have a two-day affair with a woman who looks like Lena Dunham. (eye roll)

• Love 7

Hi there! This is my second comment on Previously, and I'm using my clunker of a phone. What could possibly go wrong? Anyway, this show brings a gamet of reactions from me--usually, I'm disgusted by every single character, and then suddenly something funny is said and I find myself laughing and quite entertained; once in a while, I find a character (momentarily) endearing; but I'm always, ALWAYS cringing because I also was very immature, well into my post university/beginning career days, so I can relate to these young ladies at times. Ugh.

About Adam's and Hannah's breakup, I keep remembering her drunken "pep talk" at that party in Iowa, when she told the heartbroken coed that since her boyfriend was going to school in another state that he'd naturally screw around, and so should she. I'm sure at some point before she left Brooklyn, she made a similar drunken speech to Adam about how they should embrace her freedom, yadda, yadda, yadda because Hannah loves to present a confident bohemian facade. Adam, being tired of Hannah, probably used this to justify getting together with Mimi-Rose. He probably thought he'd have some time to break things off with Hannah, not realizing that she'd come running back as soon as she did.

Also, I think Mimi-Rose is going to turn out to be full of shit (I'm referring to her YouTube speech). I hope we'll see more of her!

Edited by Rockfish
  • Love 4

My uncle left his very gorgeous beauty salon owner wife for a woman who kind of looked like a middle aged female version of John Denver, only add a few pounds, two inch nails, and some jewelry. Why? Because she was awesome. They were giddly happy together until she died.

One day someone will figure out what a goldmine is waiting for people willing to tell stories about the Everywoman-- no, not you, Chaka, the REAL everywoman-- and the media world will turn upside down.

( sorry, crosspost-- that was to Tooch.)

Just to redirect the tangent-- holy shit, I hadn't really processed the whole missing wall/ name on lease thing, with everything else going on-- I guess the fact that Hannah wasn't flipped out about it except as something she'd wanted to do made me assume they had discussed it with the landlord or something.

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 3

Just to redirect the tangent-- holy shit, I hadn't really processed the whole missing wall/ name on lease thing, with everything else going on-- I guess the fact that Hannah wasn't flipped out about it except as something she'd wanted to do made me assume they had discussed it with the landlord or something.

That entire plot point was wrong. The building owner would have only granted approval for that kind of a modification to the premises to the person whose name was on the lease because the rent would increase based on the additional square footage, which would have required an amendment to the lease, which Adam wouldn't have the authority to sign (hell, he can't even legally live there unless Hannah has gotten approval from the landlord to sublet to him). Also, Ownership would have protected its own interests in terms of quality of work and liability by using its own contractor to do the job.

I have a hard time believing that Hannah had no where else to go but the storage unit. Even if she couldn't have crashed with someone, she could have gone to a hotel. The only way I can reconcile it is that she wanted to be with her stuff; Hannah being Hannah, I could see that.

• Love 6

Even if she couldn't have crashed with someone, she could have gone to a hotel. The only way I can reconcile it is that she wanted to be with her stuff; Hannah being Hannah, I could see that.

I kinda understood like her stuff was sort of a security blanket. After all she failed Iowa, got a wake up call that maybe she's not the voice of her generation,  Adam has replaced her in a few months.

I'm really liking this season and the break-up scene was so well done. It really hit a nerve. It was so truthful. It reminded me of the song "It's too late" by Carole King: simple, sad and real.

• Love 2

On a long flight, I watched most of season 3 again and they do lay the groundwork for this breakup.

Adam says he needs a lot of sex from Hanna to keep his other addictions at bay.

Then as his show heads towards its Broadway opening, he goes and lives with Ray to focus on his performance but Hanna keeps diverting his attention culminating in telling him about going to Iowa before his opening night show.

Hanna meanwhile quits GQ because she doesn't want to be second fiddle, like the way Mr. Patti Lupone is shown as being.

She'd been applying to grad school every year and the Iowa acceptance was lucky timing after quitting her job.

• Love 3

This was my favorite episode this season. I loved Shosh blowing past Adam & Mimi-Rose, loved Ray making Hannah breakfast, even Marnie (whom I dislike) telling Hannah to get over Adam...

Rewatching. I love the hell out of Ray's Jazz Brunch. The first time I heard those horns, I knew it was Ray.

Out of all the guyz, Ray is probably the one I would crush hard on IRL. 

And every word out of Shosh's mouth was a shiny little diamond. I loved especially how she articulated each key stroke when she Googled Mimi-Rose.

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 1

Even the inside the episode on HBO On Demand was interesting this time.

Yeah, and for those who are frothing over Jessa, Dunham does a nice little bit of apologia for what might have ben going through her head. (Shallow moment-- Blonde hair really compliments Dunham's porcelain complexion. )

Weirdly, I wasn't as mad at Jessa for her abetting the "couple nights a week" thing, as I was that she pretended she told Hanna about it.  The former might just be her version of being "pragmatic" (As Dunham put it), but the whole "I know I told you" thing was just a needless mind fucky evasion of responsibility. When Hanna tried to ask you what was going on with Adam, you shoved your ass into your laptop screen. Apologize or own it, but don't pretend it didn't happen.

• Love 4

On a long flight, I watched most of season 3 again and they do lay the groundwork for this breakup.

Adam says he needs a lot of sex from Hanna to keep his other addictions at bay.

Then as his show heads towards its Broadway opening, he goes and lives with Ray to focus on his performance but Hanna keeps diverting his attention culminating in telling him about going to Iowa before his opening night show.

Hanna meanwhile quits GQ because she doesn't want to be second fiddle, like the way Mr. Patti Lupone is shown as being.

She'd been applying to grad school every year and the Iowa acceptance was lucky timing after quitting her job.

I think my first big " This won't last long" moment was when Adam hesitated before letting her in his dressing room just before he went onstage. It was like he knew she was going to sabotage him, but didn't want to believe it.

• Love 2

That entire plot point was wrong. The building owner would have only granted approval for that kind of a modification to the premises to the person whose name was on the lease because the rent would increase based on the additional square footage, which would have required an amendment to the lease, which Adam wouldn't have the authority to sign (hell, he can't even legally live there unless Hannah has gotten approval from the landlord to sublet to him). Also, Ownership would have protected its own interests in terms of quality of work and liability by using its own contractor to do the job.I have a hard time believing that Hannah had no where else to go but the storage unit. Even if she couldn't have crashed with someone, she could have gone to a hotel. The only way I can reconcile it is that she wanted to be with her stuff; Hannah being Hannah, I could see that.

But he did not increase the square footage. By tearing the wall down, he converted a two bedroom to a one bedroom which actually diminishes the value of the apartment, even if the new bedroom is huge!

Edited by Momof2boyz
  • Love 3

Well, this episode really cut the wheat from the chaff, friend-wise. I would have straight up murdered Jessa if she had slapped me back. She is one of those friends you have in your teens that maybe hangs around til your 20's but then pulls spectacularly stupid shit like this and you dump her.

Hanna's whole " we are a great, arty love story" or however she put it, was so off the mark. This is a guy that treated her like crap for most of the first two seasons. She finally roped him into a relationship and then they were both pretty unhappy. He did keep reeling her back in, only to condescend to her further. When Adam re-bandaged her hand, I was yelling "run Hanna run"!

I really liked Ray, Shosh's and Marnie's pep talks. Also, is it just me or did Hanna burn herself on purpose? It happened right when she was losing Ray's attention and it seemed like a self harm thing she could get away with.

• Love 2

You are so right. I totally forgot how badly Adam treated Hannah in the beginning. He has been a jerk since the beginning. He was whitewashed a little so I started to really like him... but he brought it all back. 

• Love 2

Hanna's whole " we are a great, arty love story" or however she put it, was so off the mark. This is a guy that treated her like crap for most of the first two seasons.

I agree with you. But I also see how someone younger would think that being mistreated and then achieving a "serious" relationship with a guy means "great love/arty story". And I do think most tv shows glorify this stuff. It's why I don't like the bad boy trope.

• Love 2

It's pretty amazing. For the first whole season I thought Adam was a complete waste of time. For another season or two, he was the most likeable character on the show. Now he's revealed as even more of a waste of time than we thought he was season one.

• Love 1

Well Patti Lupone warned Hanna that Adam will become an asshole with success in show business.

He said he doesn't like confrontation so not owning up is consistent with his character from season 3.

Early part of it, he was lovey-dovey. But maybe the relationship ran its course.

It's not about trading up or down. The girl whom he treated badly was more attractive than Hanna and he couldn't wait to get back with Hanna.

• Love 4

I have to wonder how honest Adam was with Mimi Rose because Hannah turning her key in that lock meant Adam STILL had a girlfriend. How do you feel about a man who has moved you in but hasn't bothered to break up with his girlfriend? She seems more enlightened and reasonable than to get into a relationship with someone who hasn't ended their relationship.

At least AssFace broke up with Clementine before he went to Marnie, false as it was.

Edited by Brooklynista

It's pretty amazing. For the first whole season I thought Adam was a complete waste of time. For another season or two, he was the most likeable character on the show. Now he's revealed as even more of a waste of time than we thought he was season one.

I did for a moment forget what an asshole Adam originally was. Almost forgot about how he lovingly peed on Anna when they were showering together. He thought it was so hilarious while she was mortified and asked him to stop.

• Love 1

I only recently subscribed to HBO so have watched three and a half seasons of this show over the last few weeks. This was by far my favourite episode, and interestingly it was neither written or directed by Lena Dunham.

I find no redeaming qualities in Jessa, and her comment to Hannah wondering why she wasn't in Idaho was both the funniest line of the entire series to me, but also

described Jessa in one line - the fact that she does not even know what state Hannah moved to.

I was confused as to whether Hannah and Adam had broken up but it seemed like they had when Hannah kept trying to get info on Adam from her friends and no one wanted to talk to her about him. If they were still together wouldn't she be talking to him?

I have found their relationship for the most part quite believable. Yes, he treated her like crap at first but I do remember when she finally told him how she felt about him, he said that she never asked him anything about himself. To me it seemed like he felt she was using him as much as he was using her. The only scene that ever brought tears to my eyes was when they had split up and Hannah was at home having a breakdown over her OCD and having spent the advance for her e-book but not written it. When Adam dropped everything to go take care of her it really showed the depths of their relationship.

The last interesting part to me was similar to a poster upthread who said she went through a similar breakup years ago. I did as well with my first love, when I took a job across the country after college without discussing it with him. I got the job 6 months before I finished college and by the time college was finished so was our relationship. He did not tell me until years later (we are still friends to this day - 36 years later) that it was my taking the job without discussing it with him that was the beginning of the end for him. So I can see Adam's side of things through my own experience.