Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(at least I assume Hamilton is the first 'popular' musical that uses rap music, I've not heard of another).

In the Heights, lyrics and music by Lin-Manuel Miranda, which won every Tony award possible.

• Love 3

I just watched the Bowie tribute on the Brit awards. I thought Lorde sounded amazing. In my opinion it was so such better than Lady Gaga. The Grammy tribute felt like "Lady Gaga presents A Tribute yo David Bowie starring Lady Gaga". The Brit Awards to me felt like a tribute to him and his music compared to the Grammys which felt like it was more about Lady Gaga.

• Love 1

So the nominations for the 2017 Grammys have been released. Here are some of my predictions:

Best New Artist:

Kelsea Ballerini
The Chainsmokers
Chance The Rapper
Maren Morris
Anderson .Paak

Tough choices here. It's crazy that Chance is just now being nominated for BNA when he's been around for awhile and has released a few well-received mixtapes. I think him being considered a mixtape rapper will hurt him here. Kelsea Ballerini probably hasn't made much of an impression on the country music scene to win. Anderson Paak is well-liked and probably has a better shot than a lot of people think, even though he's relatively unknown. I like Maren Morris and wouldn't mind seeing her take it, but I think ultimately The Chainsmokers will win. I think in terms of industry impact, both positive and negative, they're ahead of the pack.

Should Win: Anderson Paak (probably)

Will Win: The Chainsmokers

Song Of The Year:

"Formation" — Khalif Brown, Asheton Hogan, Beyoncé Knowles & Michael L. Williams II, songwriters (Beyoncé)
"Hello" — Adele Adkins & Greg Kurstin, songwriters (Adele)
"I Took A Pill In Ibiza" — Mike Posner, songwriter (Mike Posner)
"Love Yourself" — Justin Bieber, Benjamin Levin & Ed Sheeran, songwriters (Justin Bieber)
"7 Years" — Lukas Forchhammer, Stefan Forrest, Morten Pilegaard & Morten Ristorp, songwriters (Lukas Graham)

Formation, I Took A Pill in Ibiza, and Love Yourself are big hits, but I don't think they're real contenders here, though I would like to see Mike Posner take it (he's underrated). I think Lukas Graham will best Adele here. Hello is a big record and rightfully so, but Adele's big, expressive voice elevates it beyond a solid, if unremarkable, songwriting effort.

Should Win: 7 Years or I Took A Pill in Ibiza

Will Win: 7 Years

Record Of The Year:

"Hello" — Adele
"Formation" — Beyoncé
"7 Years" — Lukas Graham
"Work" — Rihanna Featuring Drake
"Stressed Out" — Twenty One Pilots

It's insane that Formation and Work made it on this list. Formation as a standalone track is nothing special. It worked as a video and lead-in to Lemonade, but that's it. Work is one of Rihanna's weakest singles PERIOD and is only slightly palatable on her otherwise good effort Anti (which was snubbed for Album of the Year btw). Slightly obscure might work for other categories, but not Song of the Year, so Twenty One Pilots is out. I'd love to see Lukas take it since I somewhat enjoy 7 Years more than Hello, but come on. This is Adele's to lose.

Should Win: 7 Years

Will Win: Hello

Album Of The Year:

25 — Adele
Lemonade — Beyoncé
Purpose — Justin Bieber
Views — Drake
A Sailor's Guide To Earth — Sturgill Simpson

This is a fairly weak set of nominees. I almost wish they would've expanded the field a bit. I think we can safely count out Biebs. He deserves a tip of the cap for finally putting together an album that people who can drink might enjoy, and it made him seem like a talented young man you might check for in the future, but AotY? Let's not get carried away. Views was long-awaited and anticipated, but it was his weakest effort, received mixed reviews (...heh), and aside from the fact that it sold well, I think the only reason it's nominated is because the Grammys are trying to get him to show up and perform for the sake of ratings. Love Adele, but this wasn't a strong album for her. Like I said before, Adele tends to make albums that shrink in the wake of 1-2 massive singles, and this album was no different. That leaves Lemonade and A Sailor's Guide. I think Lemonade will go down as the best album by a mainstream female artist since The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. It's rightfully deserving of the top honors, even if I think the visual presentation of it was more impacting than the album itself. That said, I think Sturgill will win. The flaw with Lemonade is that it's giving you the tea as an art-project. We're used to Beyonce being reclusive, not talking about her relationship, and usually being prim and ladylike. So to she her laying her shit bare, swearing, and eclipsing herself in terms of theatrics, it's stark because it's so out of character. I don't know that it means more than that. Sturgill's album, on the other hand, was an achievement not just for the artist himself, but for the genre. And with four mainstream platinum-selling albums as contenders, I think this will be a repeat of Beck a year or so ago and will split the competition.

Should Win: Lemonade

Will Win: A Sailor's Guide to Earth

You know what? I just had (what I think is) a great idea. With George Michael's passing, they're going to probably do a tribute to him. And to do that tribute...they should get...ADAM LAMBERT.

They should get Adam Lambert to sing "One Last Try" with a bunch of smoke billowing behind him. Or maybe a medley of Faith, Father Figure, and One Last Try. It could be a Grammy Moment.

• Love 2

All I know is that if it's Adele vs. Beyoncé I hope Adele wins every damn time! I've been over Beyoncé for at least five years. I think a singer that actually just stands there and sings is way better than someone who relies on lip synching so they can dance should be awarded for their singing ability. 

• Love 4

I like Beyoncé, but love Adele so I'm definitely rooting for her to win in every category she's nominated for especially Album of the Year. I thought 25 was a wonderful album, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lemonade came in and won instead.

Considering these loser voters gave mediocre vanilla 1989 AOTY last year over Kendrick Lamar's masterpiece To Pimp A Butterfly,  I won't even bother trying to predict what they'll do. It'll be just like them to give it to neither Beyonce or Adele considering all the hype about the battle and sneak in a more unknown like Sturgill Simpson. Since they only seem to reserve rewarding best selling album = AOTY for Taylor Swift's basic self. So I'll just say what I think should happen. 

I think Adele deserves ROTY and SOTY for Hello. In my opinion, Formation is the weakest song on Lemonade and just a really mediocre song so I'm not here for it winning anything and definitely not SOTY which is a songwriter's award. That repetitive drivel took like 7 people to write. AOTY, as much as I love me some Adele and actually hold the unpopular opinion that 25 was better than 21, I think Lemonade deserves it. 

Lemonade, in my opinion, is Beyonce’s greatest artistic achievement in a long and pretty impressive career. Whatever your opinion of her, the fact is Beyonce is an amazing performer who has worked hard at her craft for more than two decades. To be clear, I don’t believe anyone is owed a Grammy simply for being around a long time but there is definitely a sense of Beyonce having paid her dues.

At this point, an AOTY win for her would truly feel earned in my opinion. That said, I would have no problem if Adele wins, although I think the Beyhive may hurt somebody. And if I'm being perfectly honest, one of the main  reasons I would have no problem with an Adele win is because it would wipe away Swift and her stans smug superiority of her being the only female artist to win two AOTY Grammy Awards. And I'm sorry, that record needs to be broken because the sheer tragedy of that fact is painful. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

If either Adele, Beyonce, or Sturgill Simpson wins AOTY, I'll be happy. Sturgill was completely snubbed by the CMAs, and he and many other truly talented country artists (most of them women) are ignored by the radio by daring to actually BE country music, so a win by him would be a BIG middle finger to mainstream country music and the country radio establishment in Nashville. 

That said, it will most likely be Adele or Beyonce. I do think Sturgill is the third most likely to win it, though. And the fact that he gets to perform tonight and show his talent to the largest audience he's ever played is awesome (that said, he DID just perform on SNL recently).

I really hope Merle Haggard gets a tribute, especially after the CMAs barely gave him anything in November. My dream is for Sturgill and Merle's son, Ben, to perform "Sing Me Back Home" ("Sing me back home before I die?" EVERYONE would be in tears.). Ben's already recorded it himself.

I don't know how to feel about Prince getting a tribute. He certainly deserves one, but after what he got at the BET Awards last summer, could anything EVER truly top that? 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

My favorite tweet was about Ceelo and said "so basically the exploding Galaxies were actually an origin story for a super villain".

Now that I know that most of the awards are given out before the broadcast (I read about 10 of 84 are given out on air) I've made my piece that this is basically a concert and I'm cool with that.  Since I don't listen to the radio, this is how I hear...music.  Any music.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, susannot said:

Nancy O'Dell looks hideous.  Trashy.  

Vulgar IMO.

2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Now that I know that most of the awards are given out before the broadcast (I read about 10 of 84 are given out on air) I've made my piece that this is basically a concert and I'm cool with that.

I'm very narrow in the music I listen to, so sometimes this show introduces me to someone else I might like. Plus, tonight I'm here for the Prince and George Michael tributes.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, susannot said:

And Bowie favored to win posthumous awards for DarkStar.

I just read that he never won a music award during his career.  Just a video award and a lifetime achievement award.  So now, posthumously, he won three. 

Did LL do something to piss off CBS?

8 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Did LL do something to piss off CBS?

Probably not,  CBS has been really pushing James Corden on us no matter how much...or little we want it.

Edited by Slade347
  • Love 3

Oh hey, look at that, they gave the rapper that deserved it the win. Shocker. 

eta: I love Adele but that opening fell a little flat for me. Hello is great but it's been out for awhile, so I wish she'd done something different with it. Also, I thought I read that she was going to do a tribute to George Michael in her opening number. 

That blonde hair is awful on Paris Jackson and all the tattoos are not a good look but she's still clearly a beautiful girl.

Edited by truthaboutluv

A lot of people hate Chance the Rapper's Kit Kat ads but there is something likable about this kid.  I couldn't name a song of his if I fell over it and perhaps I am not as...devout...as he is, but he seems nice.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Slade347 said:

Probably not,  CBS has been really pushing James Cordes on us no matter how much...or little we want it.

I like him and all and I'm getting tired of him at the same time

• Love 2

Ugh. I knew Corden was going to wear on my patience but I'm out already, between the dumb stairs gag, the rap, and the diss of Sturgill Simpson as an unknown (which he isn't.) He's such a little star suckup.

Rolled my eyes when Paris Jackson came out (what has she done?) but then she gave the shoutout for noDAPL and all was forgiven.

• Love 1

Congrats to Chance the Rapper. Couldn't name three songs of his if I had to, but you know. Seems like a nice guy.

The Weeknd. Ugh. Why not do that other song that I can barely tolerate instead of this song I don't know that I also can barely tolerate.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Rolled my eyes when Paris Jackson came out (what has she done?) but then she gave the shoutout for noDAPL and all was forgiven.

I didn't even realize that was her. I had to pee and when I got back to my TV I saw a girl speaking who I didn't recognize. 

• Love 3
Just now, susannot said:

IMO, The Weekend is a rather generic, medium talented R & B singer.  He is regarded as edgy due to his backup singers in robot costumes.  Big deal.

They're more than his backup singers.  They're Daft Punk.  And they're pretty good at what they do.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, susannot said:

He is regarded as edgy due to his backup singers in robot costumes.

Those aren't just backup singers - that's Daft Punk, one of the most critically and commercially successful groups. They also won AOTY at the Grammys in 2014.

• Love 8

They also won AOTY at the Grammys in 2014.

I think it was the only time I REALLY wanted that win to happen as I've loved them since 1997 and whooped it up when they did.

Who keeps inviting John Travolta to these things?  Is Xenu the party planner?

• Love 6