Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Wife Swap of 2014: The Dark Wife Rises

• Start Topic

Yes but I'd be willing to bet none of you are on the autism spectrum. Kids on the spectrum can often find even basic change to be earth-shattering. Changing a name unnecessarily to me just causes stress to an already struggling child. Not to mention it seems to me that the main reason to change is name was another attempt to erase his father, being that he was named after him.

There's actually quite a bit of autism in my family. Without going into specifics, I stand by my statement that the family name/school name is not a big deal and may have been chosen by the child himself in a positive way.

So maybe Robyn said no more babies without the ring? Didn't Kody Shark Eyes snarl something about, "I WILL have more children" some time during the Meri surrogacy offer that went nowhere?

None of this makes sense to me. The decisions these women make are so batcrap crazy and detrimental to their own interests, especially since the Kody we see is such a helpless whiny twit, so why would they do this to themselves? Does it really make sense that any of the wives would ever issue any kind of ultimatum to him, given this history?

Sometimes I think Kody is actually a complete sociopath, the public doofus persona is a mask, and behind the scenes he puts the screws to these women in very ugly ways.

It's also possible that he's finally figured out basic math, sees the end in sight with TLC, is bored with the actual effort involved with polygamy, and is going to walk away from everyone except Robyn when the gravy train stops rolling.

• Love 15

I love the name of this thread.

I'm just baffled by this whole business. I don't believe any of this crap. The only thing that makes any sense to me is the age old story. Out with old, in with the new. I hope meri took him to the cleaners.

I realize this is KOdy, but he made a really unpopular decision. Be a man and own it.

Not only are they not the happy family they want us to believe, the longer they stay on air, the creepier they look.

So agree. And isn't this the case with almost all reality shows based on families, people who will supposedly be viewer-worthy 'cause they're a little, um, different? Think about Kate Plus 8 (never saw it, but heard plenty when things unraveled), Honey Boo Boo, and those ever-ickier, cringe-inducing Duggars. It's impossible to keep up the television facade over any real length of time; the cracks start to show and the weirdness peeks through.

• Love 6

In addition to the cracks showing, I think the act of being on TV and the network and sometimes public adulation begins to change people or allow characteristics to grow that in a non-public person we might keep in check.

• Love 10

Agreed on alot of posters above for the reasons other than what Koduche and company have stated.

Did anyone mention ratings?  Divorce Meri, marry Sobyn and Koduche has another season in the bag easy with TLC. Plus, adding footage from their 2nd honeymoon in Hawaii, gives them a free trip.

Honestly, I don't know how Christine and Janelle (especially Janelle) can take this shit show anymore? 

The last or second last episode where they showed video from when it was just the 3 wives, those women actually looked happy with their situation and eachother.  Biggest mistake was adding Robyn to the mix and moving out of the one home they all shared.

In the end, Koduche will be practicing monogamy with just Robyn. 

I think it is story/ratings generated too -- thus, the honeymoon. Everything else I think about would be such an obvious scam/avoidance of payment I don't believe they could get by with it. 

Do I understand correctly that Kody begged Janelle to return once he learned that she had money he could use? If that is the case, how stupid can these women be?

I trust that is a rhetorical question. 

• Love 8
None of this makes sense to me. The decisions these women make are so batcrap crazy and detrimental to their own interests, especially since the Kody we see is such a helpless whiny twit, so why would they do this to themselves? Does it really make sense that any of the wives would ever issue any kind of ultimatum to him, given this history?

Easy answer is that this is a cult.  Women with no self esteem are lured into a relationship with the self proclaimed Messiah.  Throw in the pseudo-religious element and you have the Browns in a nutshell.  Think of Jim Jones and Warren Jeffs.  

No woman with half a brain or one ounce of self awareness would get sucked into this morass.

• Love 5

Easy answer is that this is a cult.  Women with no self esteem are lured into a relationship with the self proclaimed Messiah.  Throw in the pseudo-religious element and you have the Browns in a nutshell.  Think of Jim Jones and Warren Jeffs.  

No woman with half a brain or one ounce of self awareness would get sucked into this morass.

Yes. Kody keeps control in part by keeping the family dynamic in motion and unbalanced, so the wives can never feel secure. They are psychologically beaten down, but they think they can be worthy if they just try harder. That's the promise of a cult, but it can never happen. Even Queen Robyn will get deposed eventually. For all of his blustering, Kody is the puppet master.

• Love 8

This is very much like Anne Boleyn and Queen Katherine of Aragon. Robyn even looks like Anne! Robyn is STEALTH. By the way, Robyn, Anne was beheaded, yet Katherine survived. Have fun!

Katheryn of Aragon died, miserable and divorced

Katheryn Howard was be headed.

Katherine Parr outlived  Henry. Married the man of her dreams, and then promptly died in childbirth

The only wife of Henry who had a decent life was the "horse" Anne of Cleves 

• Love 4

Someone earlier upthread said that if this move was done for ratings, it seems to be backfiring with some fans? Certainly looking that way to me, based on responses to this post of Robyn's:

https://twitter.com/LuvgvsUwngs/status/559537807945768960

On the one hand, I think it has generated a lot of buzz and anticipation for the coming episodes, but it's going to alienate some viewers who actually trusted these people. 

The only wife of Henry who had a decent life was the "horse" Anne of Cleves 

Poor Anne of Cleves with "skin like a mummy's," but she managed to slip through the cracks and survive. Not that Henry was a pleasing physical and mental specimen by that time. Just King, and that counts. Right, Kody?

I think Goodwife Robyn will have more babies as she works to secure her tenuous hold on the House of Brown. 

Dang, TWO full hours of Sister Wives tomorrow!! My goodness, don't they realize people cannot take them in such large doses. And I doubt they will address the "great wife swap" in all of that. 

Edited by purpleflowers

It's interesting she tweeted that after someone's first failed attempt to leak the divorce/marriage news on January 21st  and the second, successful attempt on January 31st. She really isn't subtle and makes me wonder if she was behind both the leaks.

• Love 1

I'm wondering how the kids feel about all this. I'm thinking Mariah won't be too pleased.  Didn't she have some sort of lording pleasure over the other kids because her mom was the first and legal wife?  I'm thinking Janelle's and Christine's kids won't give a crap unless they were the ones that were open to a plyg marriage.  

I wonder if Mariah will question polygamy after this? Mariah is a plain jane, I wonder if she has even considered that she could end up being the Christine of the wives.

I also wonder if Janelle and Christine ever secretly are sorry they had so many kids with Kodouche?  At this point Meri would have the best chance of breaking away because she has less dependent children (though I think she truly does love the idiot).

This sounds harsh, but to me it looks like Christine was only a baby factory for Kody. I don't think he ever loved her.

After this if I were the other wives I would never trust Robyn again, she is one hell of a schemer.

Applauds to all of this. Meri and Meriah are vile (arrogant, condescending, selfish, manipulative), but I really hope Meriah rethinks polygamy and that with her personality and looks, she may not be the #1 Queen Bee who calls all the shots in this kind of relationship.

I don't think he ever loved Christine, either. She was spoiled and flighty, and chased him down like a Cheetah on an antelope (maybe a Jaguar on a llama, bc of his goofy hair), and was quite smug about being the youngest, favored wife - in her head - but I don't think he cares about her either. She wants to one up the other wives, and have a platform to rant about how they're so persecuted, but her husband has no love for her. 

And because I can't say it enough, Robyn is stealth.

Sorry to ramble on but just thought, would love to see how things would pan out if Meri and Janelle say 'to hell with this' and leave, Christine would stay grateful for any crumbs Kody threw her way, but, somehow I can't see the 'all loving' Robyn being as into the lifestyle if Kody then brought in new wives, younger, slimmer etc than Queen Robyn, lol, think she would have a rethink of things then!

I think Meri is still in love and infatuated with him, but that if she found another man who would make her feel like she's in the catbird seat (another Big Love reference there LOL), she'd leave in a heartbeat. She'd be infatuated with whoever she is with. Honestly, if Janelle's kids were all teens or older and could understand things better, I think she'd be out of there, too. I also think Christine would leave for another polyg man who put her back on a princess pedestal, but she's lived in poverty and she's lived in a Vegas McMansion with her Vitamix mixer and TV show. She will be hard pressed to go back into poverty. She'll gun for a starting over spin off before this is over. 

I'd really like to know how Christine is holding up. It's obvious that her mother moved in with her because of the divorce/remarriage.

Christine is one of those obnoxious women who chooses to live in a mess, yet is smug and loves to scream that she's a special snowflake, and everyone else is miserably failing or living a harmful lifestyle, so while I understand how she's gone off the deep end emotionally, this whole implosion is kind of karma.

Maybe the "new wife" the psychic saw was Robyn. She didn't say 5th, I think she said new. Creeeeeeepy.

Yup. I wonder how much of that was a set up, and I can't believe they agreed to see a psychic.

I'm wondering how the kids feel about all this. I'm thinking Mariah won't be too pleased.  Didn't she have some sort of lording pleasure over the other kids because her mom was the first and legal wife?  I'm thinking Janelle's and Christine's kids won't give a crap unless they were the ones that were open to a plyg marriage.  

I think so, too. Mariah may go off the deep end, because she did lord things over the other kids. I think Janelle and Christine's older kids have been shit upon enough to have a better grasp of the whole situation.

I also think the title of this thread is 100 kids of awesome, and very accurate, because it basically was a swap, and the only person more stealth than Robyn is The Dark Knight Batman, and uh, Batman and Robin/Robyn LOL.

• Love 7

I keep thinking about that tweet Robyn sent out January 25th- "It is always tough giving up the ideal [sic] of what a plural family means to you. We always wanted to be a united family." If this was only a legal restructuring of the family, why are they giving up on the plural family idea? Does this mean they, as in Kody and Robyn, are now monogamists and the rest are plyg road-kill? If the family all agreed to this stupid idea (as Meri's sister stated in her interview and Kody stated in the TMZ release), why the regret about not being a united family? It's also disingenuous to come into a long established family, wreck havoc and then say "we wanted to be a united family". 

• Love 14

I keep thinking about that tweet Robyn sent out January 25th- "It is always tough giving up the ideal [sic] of what a plural family means to you. We always wanted to be a united family." If this was only a legal restructuring of the family, why are they giving up on the plural family idea? Does this mean they, as in Kody and Robyn, are now monogamists and the rest are plyg road-kill? If the family all agreed to this stupid idea (as Meri's sister stated in her interview and Kody stated in the TMZ release), why the regret about not being a united family? It's also disingenuous to come into a long established family, wreck havoc and then say "we wanted to be a united family". 

The way that Robyn tries to finagle herself into the lead position on everything is baffling.  She wants to be favorite (and, apparently, legal) wife, she wants to be the family spokesperson, she wants to be the Great Arbitrator, to whom everyone goes when there are problems (aka the peacemaker, or however they tried to market her), she wants to be the star of the tv show, she wants to be a business guru and fashionista, she wants to be the bestest mom and wife and lover and friend, yet she goes about trying to be all of these things in shady ways.  How in the hell do the other women not see this?  She and Kody are two peas in a pod. 

Anyway, if the other women buy into all of these things, probably in order to please Kody (gag), I guess that it might not be too big of a stretch to see why they would agree to this latest fiasco.  I think that I've given them too much credit for brains.  They've not one brain to share between them.  Robyn is good at one thing... spin.  Her attempt at sorrow over the divorce is not only transparent, imo it's also pretty disgusting. 

• Love 9

The way that Robyn tries to finagle herself into the lead position on everything is baffling.  She wants to be favorite (and, apparently, legal) wife, she wants to be the family spokesperson, she wants to be the Great Arbitrator, to whom everyone goes when there are problems (aka the peacemaker, or however they tried to market her), she wants to be the star of the tv show, she wants to be a business guru and fashionista, she wants to be the bestest mom and wife and lover and friend, yet she goes about trying to be all of these things in shady ways.  How in the hell do the other women not see this?  She and Kody are two peas in a pod. 

At the beginning of Robyn Gate, all Meri saw was an ally to balance the animosity between her and Janelle/Christine, plus lots of points to be the 'cool' and holy wife who gave her husband a hot woman and more babies. I think she underestimated Robyn and thought she could control her, plus they were still playing around with the surrogate situation, and Robyn was an incubator. Janelle totally sees it, but knows she's powerless and does not engage. Christine sees it and can't contain her anger. She's the true believer of the bunch, IMO, and I think she would've accepted another wife if it all hadn't been done in such as sneaky manner.

Hee!  What a great analogy.  He DOES look like a llama!

The goofy grin, the floppy hair, the noise, the stomping gait, the drama - Kody is a a llama. 

• Love 2

I wonder if Mariah will question polygamy after this? Mariah is a plain jane, I wonder if she has even considered that she could end up being the Christine of the wives?

Oh, man, that's funny. I'd bet she gets a first wife position (because of her "fame" /lololololol) but she'll never be the beloved. And how much time do you think she has before she loses the chance to be 1st wife? They get married young, don't they? Don't want to be studying for finals and end up 2nd wife to some 19 year old.

I wish they'd been honest since the beginning. A show about wives who don't like each other but are committed to their marriages/children/half-siblings would have been so much more interesting than talking about Meri's uterus.

• Love 4

Kody, Janelle, Robyn and Christine were tweeting during the show(s) tonight. Nothing from Meri.

Meri is out living life -- she's enrolled in school after 5 years of waiting, she's traveling, making friends and has a big smile on her face.

She's free.

• Love 6

wow, I skip watching the show or reading about it for a couple weeks and look what happens!  yeesh.  And I sat thru that farce of an episode about Robyn merely to come back here anticipating the hate fest and mockery.  I gotta catch up on everything from this past week...

• Love 1

LOVE the thread title!

What did Ken say? Get rid of three wives and just have one, or something to that effect? Well, if this plan was in motion at that time they were on vacation turn it's no wonder Christine had such an epic heaping melt down. Put into context that her husband was divorcing his first wife of 20 years for the newest wife, then I see where she blew up.

Yeah, I sort of saw where she was coming from already (not the intensity, but in terms of being very offended by the friend and then, separately and on principle, furious with Kody for trying to make plans with him (that included her) anyway), but that this was probably already in discussions certainly adds a lot of weight to what was originally a serious but throwaway comment.

So now the spin in the articles I'm reading say it was for insurance for the non-Brown kids. Someone explain to me how this gets them insurance that couldn't have been done without divorce

And edited to ask..... if it was for insurance, why did they need another honeymoon??

See, I first assumed it was either for medical insurance for Robyn's oldest three (all of his other kids are his kids, so should be eligible for his medical insurance regardless of his marital status with their respective mothers) or to adopt them if their dad had been pushed into relinquishing his parental rights (such as if Dayton was with him when he had the ATV accident and there was negligence involved, like not wearing a helmet). But that would only really work (insurance wise) if Kody were still working for a non-TLC employer (like he was season one back in Utah), and if one can put their stepchildren, not adopted, on their health plans. (I'd guess yes, if they can be a legal dependent on taxes, but don't actually know.) Now they all "work for" TLC or themselves; they aren't TLC employees in the sense that they'd get medical, but maybe their LLC is set up to provide medical? But their bio mom (Robyn, obviously) would have the same status in that as Kody, one would think, and if they're self-insured (like many/most who work for themselves) the same applies. So I'm still confused.

If it was for medical insurance, you wonder why they wouldn't have rushed it before Dayton's reconstructive/reparative surgery. Unless that cost the family so much that it triggered or convinced everyone to buy into it. But presuming they're all self-insured, I don't see why Robyn's oldest kids' coverage would be different than the others'.

I do tend to think there had to be SOME reason for the kids that was plausible to Meri, Janelle, and Christine. I don't see Meri granting a divorce while still staying otherwise, Christine would pitch an absolute fit and maybe even leave, and I think it would really seriously bother even Janelle. If the first three wives really believe it was necessary for the three kids, then I see it going as it has - Meri willingly/very sadly made the sacrifice, Janelle's pretty much fine with it because it's practical, and Christine, like Meri, has plenty of emotions about it but it isn't a total dealbreaker. Maybe Robyn had custody when he had the ATV accident and there are some custody concerns and they felt (rightly or wrongly, or were legally advised) that they needed to shore up the stability of her family on paper - I would understand their not wanting to explain that when, under normal circumstances, the medical insurance issue would make sense.

I need to do some back-reading/googling on this Hawaii business, because any trip for Robyn after having legal status shifted her way is awful to each of the other three, all of whom would rightfully have SOME non-positive emotional reaction to the switch. Awful and thoughtless.

(I am intrigued by the spousal privilege theory! Though you'd think explaining that to Meri and J&C adequately might require telling them enough that they would just be subpoenaed instead.) Protecting Meri's credit from a now-joint bankruptcy filing is also plausible (that she'd agree and the first three would put up with it).

I'm kinda thinking Meri is the stealth one and not Robyn. If so go Meri! Enjoy your wet bar in peace.

I'd love it if this were the case! It certainly does give her an easier exit, should she ever want one, and it's so generous that it should absolve her of MSWC pressure forever.

I would assume that's because those are their legal names. I had forgotten that they changed David's first name too. Ugh. I'm not sure if I'm happy that he still gets to go by David at school or horrified that the poor kid has to go by two different names which is weird enough for a kid but way worse for a kid with Autism (or Aspergers) I'm not sure which he is.

Does "go by" mean that that's his official name at school (which, it would be), or that that's what everyone calls him? Lots of kids are only addressed by their legal first names on the first day every year, and they go, "I go by nickname/middle name/etc," and that's their name for the rest of the year. I guess I don't know which I hope for (if he likes David, maybe yay if he still goes by David too - he was awfully old to be changing his actual name on him - but going by two names could be confusing for him). Then again, I have friends who I know by their middle name - because that's what they went by when we met - and everyone in their professional lives calls them by their first name, and they aren't confused. They were just generally older when it started. But hopefully the David/Dayton ball was in his court in school, since his mother wasn't right there to insist he be called Dayton for him.

I'm wondering how the kids feel about all this. I'm thinking Mariah won't be too pleased. Didn't she have some sort of lording pleasure over the other kids because her mom was the first and legal wife? I'm thinking Janelle's and Christine's kids won't give a crap unless they were the ones that were open to a plyg marriage.

I'd bet the older ones (who seem to be kind of over their father already) are pretty unimpressed, unless/even if it's really somehow necessary for their three step siblings - the kids do seem bonded to the others in their age group especially. I'd think it might be pretty disturbing for Mariah, since she's the one who's most likely to continue the polygamous lifestyle, but also a worthwhile hard reality check to keep in mind.

• Love 1

I'm liking the guess someone above made that it was done to make Meri a "single" mother so Mariah would qualify for more financial aid for college.  Whatever the reason it's almost certainly financial.

Conveniently, Meri will also qualify for more financial aid for HER schooling as she will be a single mother with a child in college.

Just a thought.  Did the Browns "flee" Utah because they were being "persecuted" or did they wear out their chances of filing another round of bankruptcies?  I believe you cannot file multiple times in one state, right?  I think the state had their number and the Browns knew it.

It will be interesting to see if this is discussed on the show, and if so what explanation they give.

Whatever the explanation, Kody will certainly put on his "serious eyebrow"s and extra beady dark eyes.  Get Robyn a case of tissues and prepare for Meri's red puffy ugly 'cry' face.

• Love 3

Meri is out living life -- she's enrolled in school after 5 years of waiting, she's traveling, making friends and has a big smile on her face.

She's free.

Never a Meri fan, but I'm hoping this actually is the case.

Well, until she loses that McMansion. Because you know that's coming, sooner or later, for all of them.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 1

LOVE the thread title!

Yeah, I sort of saw where she was coming from already (not the intensity, but in terms of being very offended by the friend and then, separately and on principle, furious with Kody for trying to make plans with him (that included her) anyway), but that this was probably already in discussions certainly adds a lot of weight to what was originally a serious but throwaway comment.

See, I first assumed it was either for medical insurance for Robyn's oldest three (all of his other kids are his kids, so should be eligible for his medical insurance regardless of his marital status with their respective mothers) or to adopt them if their dad had been pushed into relinquishing his parental rights (such as if Dayton was with him when he had the ATV accident and there was negligence involved, like not wearing a helmet). But that would only really work (insurance wise) if Kody were still working for a non-TLC employer (like he was season one back in Utah), and if one can put their stepchildren, not adopted, on their health plans. (I'd guess yes, if they can be a legal dependent on taxes, but don't actually know.) Now they all "work for" TLC or themselves; they aren't TLC employees in the sense that they'd get medical, but maybe their LLC is set up to provide medical? But their bio mom (Robyn, obviously) would have the same status in that as Kody, one would think, and if they're self-insured (like many/most who work for themselves) the same applies. So I'm still confused.

If it was for medical insurance, you wonder why they wouldn't have rushed it before Dayton's reconstructive/reparative surgery. Unless that cost the family so much that it triggered or convinced everyone to buy into it. But presuming they're all self-insured, I don't see why Robyn's oldest kids' coverage would be different than the others'.

I do tend to think there had to be SOME reason for the kids that was plausible to Meri, Janelle, and Christine. I don't see Meri granting a divorce while still staying otherwise, Christine would pitch an absolute fit and maybe even leave, and I think it would really seriously bother even Janelle. If the first three wives really believe it was necessary for the three kids, then I see it going as it has - Meri willingly/very sadly made the sacrifice, Janelle's pretty much fine with it because it's practical, and Christine, like Meri, has plenty of emotions about it but it isn't a total dealbreaker. Maybe Robyn had custody when he had the ATV accident and there are some custody concerns and they felt (rightly or wrongly, or were legally advised) that they needed to shore up the stability of her family on paper - I would understand their not wanting to explain that when, under normal circumstances, the medical insurance issue would make sense.

I need to do some back-reading/googling on this Hawaii business, because any trip for Robyn after having legal status shifted her way is awful to each of the other three, all of whom would rightfully have SOME non-positive emotional reaction to the switch. Awful and thoughtless.

(I am intrigued by the spousal privilege theory! Though you'd think explaining that to Meri and J&C adequately might require telling them enough that they would just be subpoenaed instead.) Protecting Meri's credit from a now-joint bankruptcy filing is also plausible (that she'd agree and the first three would put up with it).

I'd love it if this were the case! It certainly does give her an easier exit, should she ever want one, and it's so generous that it should absolve her of MSWC pressure forever.

Does "go by" mean that that's his official name at school (which, it would be), or that that's what everyone calls him? Lots of kids are only addressed by their legal first names on the first day every year, and they go, "I go by nickname/middle name/etc," and that's their name for the rest of the year. I guess I don't know which I hope for (if he likes David, maybe yay if he still goes by David too - he was awfully old to be changing his actual name on him - but going by two names could be confusing for him). Then again, I have friends who I know by their middle name - because that's what they went by when we met - and everyone in their professional lives calls them by their first name, and they aren't confused. They were just generally older when it started. But hopefully the David/Dayton ball was in his court in school, since his mother wasn't right there to insist he be called Dayton for him.

I'd bet the older ones (who seem to be kind of over their father already) are pretty unimpressed, unless/even if it's really somehow necessary for their three step siblings - the kids do seem bonded to the others in their age group especially. I'd think it might be pretty disturbing for Mariah, since she's the one who's most likely to continue the polygamous lifestyle, but also a worthwhile hard reality check to keep in mind.

Whatever the reason, we won't hear the real truth from them.

• Love 2

Just a thought.  Did the Browns "flee" Utah because they were being "persecuted" or did they wear out their chances of filing another round of bankruptcies?  I believe you cannot file multiple times in one state, right?  I think the state had their number and the Browns knew it.

The jurisdiction of bankruptcy court is federal, not state. After eight years, they're free to file a new chapter 7 if they wish, so Kodi, Meri, and Janelle all qualify. Christine would have to wait another three years.

Except we have no clue what her show income is.  Or how they use the money.  

That's one of those super-secret details.  There has been speculation based on what the Gosselins revealed and it's not all that much when you figure it supports a gazillion people and the McMansions.  And if the money is sheltered in some sort of corporation, she may manage to report out basically nothing.  

Just saying because we have no concrete idea one way or the other.

• Love 1

I believe Robin stated on Twitter a couple weeks ago that Dayton is a nickname and left it at that.

Why would she give him a nickname she can't even pronounce properly?

Shoulda called him "bub"..maybe she could wrap her lips around that easier.

I think Robyn said on Twitter that Dayton is a nickname that combines his first and middle names: "David __ton". I forgot what the middle name was. She also said that he is known as "David" at school.

• Love 1
I can't see Meri making out on financial aid for her probably two or three classes at a time.

You can't get federal financial aid unless you are enrolled full-time.  Is she only going part-time?

But it's true that if she is going full-time as a single mother, she might be eligible for more funding.  At least it's true of single mothers who still have kids at home.  I don't know about moms whose kids are also in college.

Just weighing in on the theory that Kody legally married Robyn so he could provide her children with healthcare.  I know several people whose insurance covers their step-children, even when the spouse is not the custodial parent.  I don't think Kody would need to legally adopt them to cover them.

• Love 4

Just weighing in on the theory that Kody legally married Robyn so he could provide her children with healthcare.  I know several people whose insurance covers their step-children, even when the spouse is not the custodial parent.  I don't think Kody would need to legally adopt them to cover them.

Yeah, I'm not buying the health care explanation either. Last night, didn't Robyn say in a flashback, "if something happens to me, the kids won't be able to stay with the Browns, they'd go back to my ex". She also once said they were at an age where they could choose to live with their father. She seems really worried about that possibility so maybe she thinks making Kody legal stepdad will help with that? I have no clue if it would. Or maybe there is something in the divorce agreement that says she can't cohabitate? (Unlikely for a polygamist.) Or maybe they are gearing up for another test case about discrimination/persecution against them. Robyn's joining the family certainly upset their applecart in many ways.

Exactly.

He could even (gasp) just pay the fucking premiums.

They're lying. Period.

• Love 4