Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Wife Swap of 2014: The Dark Wife Rises

• Start Topic

The insurance slant i

Exactly.

He could even (gasp) just pay the fucking premiums.

They're lying. Period.

Have they said it was for insurance?

My ex put his lovely new wife's daughter on his policy. Her father was in the picture and employed so I really don't know why. All I know is, I came off and they went on, lol.

Yeah, I'm not buying the health care explanation either. Last night, didn't Robyn say in a flashback, "if something happens to me, the kids won't be able to stay with the Browns, they'd go back to my ex". She also once said they were at an age where they could choose to live with their father. She seems really worried about that possibility so maybe she thinks making Kody legal stepdad will help with that? I have no clue if it would. Or maybe there is something in the divorce agreement that says she can't cohabitate? (Unlikely for a polygamist.) Or maybe they are gearing up for another test case about discrimination/persecution against them. Robyn's joining the family certainly upset their applecart in many ways.

Robyn is leveraging the fear of her kids having to go back to the Evil Ex (i seriously doubt he's really evil) into getting Kody to divorce Meri so he could make Robyn the legal wife. She's creating scenarios and playing dirty to get what she wants. This damsel in distress has caused all of her own problems and has no consideration for anyone else's feelings. She's only upset and sobbyn when someone gets angry and she needs to spin herself back into the victim. I have zero sympathy for her.

Just weighing in on the theory that Kody legally married Robyn so he could provide her children with healthcare.  I know several people whose insurance covers their step-children, even when the spouse is not the custodial parent.  I don't think Kody would need to legally adopt them to cover them.

That doesn't hold water, because Robyn is employed by the same company, Brown Family Entertainment or whatever company TLC gives a check to, so she'd be eligible for whatever he has. If she's poor and unemployed, because she chooses to breed with Kody and be on TV instead of getting herself a job like the rest of us, then her kids would be eligible for a healthcard from the State (Medicaid, especially Dayton, who has a disability) or from her ex Husband. And then there's always good ol' Obamacare.

So let's say she did marry Kody so her kids could be on his insurance, then doesn't that screw over all 900 of the rest of his children, ESPECIALLY the biological kids who have no option of another bio parent for insurance? No matter what scenario they try to sell us, there is really no reason to marry Robyn except Kody wanted to. 

• Love 10

As far as insurance goes, I am not buying it. My EX had his children on his policy as well as a stepson (my son) until he was 26 i think was the cut-off age.

I think they got married because they wanted to. That is the most simple explanation.

• Love 8

I think they got married because they wanted to. That is the most simple explanation.

Honestly, despite any wild tales and rationalizations they may state publicly, I think this is the real story. They're hot for each other, she wanted it her way - some variation leading to those two dolts getting exactly that THEY want. Forget the rest of their family. They don't count.

That doesn't mean they won't take any financial "restructuring" benefits that may come with the deed. They're Browns, after all.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 7

Yeah, I'm not buying the health care explanation either. Last night, didn't Robyn say in a flashback, "if something happens to me, the kids won't be able to stay with the Browns, they'd go back to my ex". She also once said they were at an age where they could choose to live with their father. She seems really worried about that possibility so maybe she thinks making Kody legal stepdad will help with that? I have no clue if it would. Or maybe there is something in the divorce agreement that says she can't cohabitate? (Unlikely for a polygamist.) Or maybe they are gearing up for another test case about discrimination/persecution against them. Robyn's joining the family certainly upset their applecart in many ways.

Kody being step-dad to Robyns' kids would give him zero rights to those kids if something happened to Robyn (except for Solomon).  Kody is nothing (legally) to those kids and they already have a father, who likely loves them to the moon and back.  Robyn is delusional, but I can see how she could easily talk both herself, Kody and the other SWs into that premise.  I have a step-daughter and if something happened to my husband, I wouldn't be entitled to shit.

I have a very good feeling that Robyn (being the parental alienator that she is ) is trying to talk the kids' dad into giving up his rights, which is so wrong.  My husband's ex-wife tried to talk him into the same thing so that her new husband could adopt their daughter.  My husband's reply was "Over my dead and rotten body would I abandon my own daughter", and that was the end of that discussion.

• Love 8

From Zap2it for next Sunday:  The Browns worry about how the anthropology students will view their family; Meri makes a momentous decision.

My summary:

Couch talk with Robyn sobbin’, Meri getting all blotchy, Christine looking nervous, Janelle in another world, Kody bobbing his head like a demented bird.   “Nobody understands us. We’re the only ones who can do polygamy right. Those TLC actors, er, anthropology students just don’t understand our lifestyle.  They are out to get us.  Maybe they will cause us to have to flee again.  We’re really one big happy supportive family.  Blah, blah, blah.”

Anthropology “students” (see How to Get 15 Minutes of Fame for their credentials) produce totally bogus “report” written by TLC with absolutely no answers to anything but they conclude that polygamy is wonderful for some people and the Browns are terrific at practicing it.  After all, it’s a “religion”.

Commercial.

Meri walks into room with adults present.

Cue dramatic music.

Meri:  “I have some news that will affect the whole family.  I have been to a lawyer.”

Gasps and concerned looks.  Robyn cries. 

Fade to black.  See you next season.

• Love 9
You know the evil part of me hopes they did this to try at ensure another season but that instead TLC cancels they sorry butts so they are stuck with the aftermath not the reward.

Table for two.  It's time these shysters finally got what they deserve.

• Love 2
Table for two.  It's time these shysters finally got what they deserve

Given their financial history, I wonder if Kody's slick maneuvering of wives will cause IRS to start looking into the Brown family finances. 

• Love 1
Given their financial history, I wonder if Kody's slick maneuvering of wives will cause IRS to start looking into the Brown family finances.

Oh, yes, please. And then stand by for the shrieking and running around screaming about "Persecution!  We're being persecuted because we're polygamists!  Woe are we, woe are we!  Call the lawyers"!

• Love 7

You need banquet facilities to hold all of us.

Oh goody, a reason to have a party! We can all wear paper crowns and feather boas and eat finger foods out of a kazillion plastic cups. Don't forget the microphone and amplifier, ceremonial tree planting (raspberry bush would be more appropriate, for all the raspberries I've blown) and maybe a slide show of our favorite Sister Wives Lies. Oh, and a grill to burn the steaks on.

Time to go buy a gown three sizes too small..... 

• Love 14

With Utah decimalising cohabitation in terms of polygamy ie wife plus legal girlfriends, there's real expectation that they'd be convicted about anything other than fraud or abuse. IF this "restructuring" can be traced to straight up manipulation of bankruptcy laws then there are grounds for refusing no matter how much they whine about prosecution. Guess what, if a monogamous person divorced and remarried and get fingered for doing that for tax, bankruptcy or another "manipulate the system" charges they would be in deep doodoo too.

Not sure if it would result in prosecution, but the bankruptcy courts can just say "no," can't they?

Not exactly "just say no." BUT, in the process of filing, one is required to list all assets and liabilities, and the Browns would have a MUCH harder time fudging those numbers and flying under the legal radar in the process. They want all the perks of pseudo-fame, and none of the downside. Unless and until they learn to manage $ with integrity (which will be approximately never...), the ice they skate on has probably gotten thinner than it was before TLC started throwing cash at them.

• Love 1

I agree with those who warn of possible legal trouble with the IRS or bankruptcy courts if the Brown's aren't careful.  Public (or quasi-public) figures who publicly flaunt that they are walking a legal tightrope tend to hang themselves with it.

• Love 4

Kody being step-dad to Robyns' kids would give him zero rights to those kids if something happened to Robyn (except for Solomon). Kody is nothing (legally) to those kids .....

I have a step-daughter and if something happened to my husband, I wouldn't be entitled to shit.

You know, as common as divorce and remarriage is in this country you would think more people would realize that just because you are married to someone doesn't mean you have any rights concerning their children. There are a ton of posts on FB saying Kody did this so he could adopt Robyn' s kids. Edited by Cara

Robyn: Started from the bottom now we here ...

Holy shitsnacks!!!!! Why the fuck did I just learn about this late last night?  I am all at once flabbergasted, bemused and spitting angry. I don't give a fuck what reason they pull out of their asses. Nothing justifies this wife shell game they are playing. NOTHING!!! Especially in light of the fact that Kody and Robyn take a trip to Hawaii, which ain't cheap. Does she also buy a new dress and get a new ring? What kills me is that over the last year or so I had actually mellowed to Robyn. I was actually starting to think that she may be harmless. HA! I believe she has been orchestrating this whispering campaign from jump. Getting everyone, mostly Kody, into a tizzy over what a threat (NOT) her ex-husband is to her kids. How they can never truly be Browns. How he can take them away at any time.  All this was in order to usurp Meri's position. USURPER!! Meri was fool enough to acquiesce. Does Meri have any idea what she is giving up? 

Robyn is the one always spouting the most bullshit about how important it is to be a sister wife and how important that relationship is. Yet she managed to work her way into pole position as the the actual legal wife. Way to maneuver. 

This actually makes me applaud the daughter that moved back to Utah to go to school and couldn't wait for Kody and Janelle to leave and also said she was so damn done with the family. Good for her!

So in addition to love being multiplied it can also be restructured. Good to know.

• Love 10

Does anyone know what reason for the divorce was checked on the divorce petition? If they lied on there, can they get in trouble?

I think this all is part of why Christine moved her mom in to her house. I think there's more crap in that family than anyone realizes.

• Love 5

It's really hard to determine WHICH one of these checklefucks is actually the DUMBEST.. but I'll give it a try.

No, maybe not. None of them have any sense, imho.

I DO feel like  if Meri gets the keep the WETBAR, she'll be a happy camper.

As far as our party, I'll bring the chips and dips!

Edited by goofygirl
  • Love 2
So in addition to love being multiplied it can also be restructured. Good to know.

Haha! Good one, islandgal140! Maybe they can add this to their family mission statement, or make a piece of MSWC jewelry inspired by this.  I might buy that one!

Edited by zenme

They're going to frame this like Meri volunteered to do it. And maybe she did so she can do more of her martyr routine. Its so sick and twisted. I hope Mariah is paying close attention to this crap as she claims she wants to be a plural wife. I think this is the real reason behind Christine's "PMS" problem.

• Love 6

They're going to frame this like Meri volunteered to do it. And maybe she did so she can do more of her martyr routine. Its so sick and twisted. I hope Mariah is paying close attention to this crap as she claims she wants to be a plural wife. I think this is the real reason behind Christine's "PMS" problem.

In light of the new wifeing (not a word, I know) suddenly everything that happened this season is gaining new context.

• Love 11
In light of the new wifeing (not a word, I know) suddenly everything that happened this season is gaining new context

I know! I've been watching closely and trying to see if I notice any behavior that would have tipped us off to the new "wife-ing," (thanks, islandgal140!) situation, and it really make me read into Christine and Janelle's actions.  Christine's irritation with Robyn, and Jenelle's aloofness now feels like resignation.  She's just given in to the situation and she doesn't give a shit anymore.  She's just concerned with her children.  Like I said, I'm sure I'm just reading into things...

• Love 3

I doubt if Janelle cares much who is the legal wife.  If Meri divorced Kody, and he said to Janelle, you are next, she would probably say, no thanks!  But you just know Christine would not let that opportunity pass by.  I see why she is having a breakdown over it all--in her mind it should have been her.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 3

"Sigh. I'm liberal -"flaming" liberal in my very conservative state. I support helping people who fall on hard times and folks who need help because the multiple low-paying jobs they're working fall short of meeting their basic family needs.

But seeing all of this again, in print, really burns me up. The bankruptcies that get them out of commitments they made to others knowing they had know intention of keeping them. The food stamps and other support that they take to feed their (too) many hungry kids, while suing the same government actually feeding them.

Etc., etc., etc.

Well, I am the beast they're bleeding. We all are "the beast" hemorrhaging in the name of the incredibly toxic - and utterly unsustainable - "lifestyle" that they insist we must revere. It all wreaks.

The mere thought that they could have put this in motion because it's Meri's turn at the bankruptcy bat again (Admit it: you can totally see this as possible) really, really makes me angry. They have no shame"

That's a conservative ideology, not liberal....and I'm right there with you.    If this was done to grift, then it's shitty.  If Meri was talked into it, it's shitty.  I can't think of any way this isn't shitty.

• Love 5

Regarding the insurance excuse, when you go on the affordable care act web site to get insurance it has a lot of questions and based on your income, how you answered the questions and how you file your income taxes (assuming you file) you can be eligible for substantial government subsidy on the premiums or state insurance. The wives would probably do better if not married.

Financial aid for school may not be available for Meri or Mariha but there are a lot of grants and scholarships available for single women and their children and they are better because you don't have to pay them back.

Meri can file bankruptcy and not lose her home.

I agree this is sad for the Meri in those wedding pictures who was so in love, but after 20+ years, three additional wives and sharing her husband, I bet those bands have worn thin. Maybe she is ready for another life chapter.

I feel bad for Christine, don't think Jenele gives a flip, and that Robin has gotten no prize.

(long-time lurker at TWOP and happy to see many posters from there, finally worked up the nerve to join in the snark)   Oh, I think Jenelle does give a flip, she has just adopted the poker face as a coping mechanism- not giving anything away in case sharks smell blood. As for this latest thing, it is possible there are all kinds of angles we haven't thought of. Perhaps M, C and J  are good with being legally(or otherwise) disentangled from the kodster. This new arrangement might look on the surface like it is all hearts and flowers for 'kobyn'  but this changes the dynamic of the original three. It places them on a more equal playing field and establishes a strange new deal where kobyn/original 3 relationship becomes almost like employer/employee, for lack of a better metaphor. That and it somewhat dissolves the previous ranking of the O3, regardless of past hurts, they can put this aside in order to build up their own new dynamic. Too many people are seeing this as Kobyn wielding all the power. Fact is, there are numbers on the side of the O3, who at the end of the day have similar long-term interests involving their children that supercede where Kobyn's head is at this particular week. Anyone with me on this way to look at it?

Edited by BlackWidow
  • Love 3

I can't think of any financial gain in the wife swap that wouldn't immediately be exposed as fraud either of the government or private insurance or lending agency. And I can't think the trip to Hawaii had any purpose other than the obvious. It isn't as if a trip to Hawaii is a part of their religion (besides the tenuous one of LDS history in Hawaii).  

• Love 1

You know the evil part of me hopes they did this to try at ensure another season but that instead TLC cancels they sorry butts so they are stuck with the aftermath not the reward.

If TLC can find a way to continue making money off them they will. So, I see a new show called "Coming out of the Sister Wives Closet.

• Love 3

Yeah, one would think that the developer should have seen red flags the size of Vegas itself a'waving while working with them. Not sure about the inner workings of bankruptcy, but one would hope that he would have taken whatever steps are available to avoid that. Who knows. The bankruptcy-to-bankruptcy "lifestyle" (such a counterproductive term they use - and they don't get it) has served them well so far.

Edited by RealityCowgirl

I'd be interested in the natural progression of events by suggesting a name for TLC's next series:  Breaking Free; Escaping Polygamy.  The first wife to pull her head out of her hiney gets her own show and her own contract.  I'd laugh hysterically as each interaction between the escapee and the rest of the Browns are recorded by two different camera crews.  Watching the editing monkeys take the same event and spin it two different ways would be fun, too.  I'd feel sorry for the kids, though.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 8

I too, am hoping the first wife too pull out gets her own "Breaking Free" show. I hope it is Christine- would love for her to go to counseling, etc and stop being so scared of everything.

Janelle is too passive. She just accepts everything. Meri is another good choice. Maybe Meri and Christine...

• Love 1

Janelle could really mess them up if she were to leave.  She's still part owner of the Utah house, and could easily force a sale of the house if she wanted to be bought out.  Since I suspect that they're keeping the old house to have a place to retreat to if necessary, having to sell the house wouldn't be a good thing for them.  I can't see Janelle wanting to move back in there on her own, so she'd want the money.

• Love 4

I think the only legitimate option for a wife to do the 'Breaking Free' show would be Meri.  I think it's possible that Janelle would leave but I don't think she wants anything more to do with being on TV. She is also the most likely to be able to support herself and her kids without a TV show. Christine is too in love with Kadouche and Robyn has what she wants. Meri seems like the most likely to me having no kids left at home and being pushed aside. Whether she will or not, I don't know.

• Love 2

Meri would have the easiest time leaving as she'd only have to support herself and Mariah, although without scholarships, grants, or loans Mariah probably wouldn't be able to stay in her current college.  Meri would most likely have to give up the house and get a smaller place with one or two bedrooms (and probably no wet bar).  Her most difficult adjustment would be getting and keeping a job.  IIRC, one of the things that Janelle was upset about when she left before was that while she worked steadily in a full time job, Meri and Kody would often just quit their jobs when they wanted to go somewhere for a weekend and couldn't get time off.

Janelle has her realtors license and is listed as selling two homes so far, but if she had to make herself available for taping her own show she'd have problems making time to show houses when she was filming.  And I think that 3girlsforus might be right when she says that Janelle might not want her own show.

Their convoluted financial situation would make it difficult for any of the women to just leave.  If Meri left she'd still have the big house (for a while), but Kodys name is on the paperwork too.  Would one try to buy the other out, or would they both walk away and take the hit on their already crappy credit reports?  Would Kody move into Meri's house and bring Robyn with him, and they could rent out Robyn's house?  Or both live in Robyn's house and rent out Meri's house?

Gah, they'll all probably lose those big McMansions anyway.

• Love 2

Good theories, but none really make more sense than this:

They did it to save their bread and butter, i.e. the TLC check.

Cheaper than having another baby (which I'm sure they're planning on doing but not until AFTER the shock and awe dies down from this) or adding another wife to the mix.  Plus, TLC probably paid for the trip to Hawaii. 

• Love 4

Good theories, but none really make more sense than this:

They did it to save their bread and butter, i.e. the TLC check.

Cheaper than having another baby (which I'm sure they're planning on doing but not until AFTER the shock and awe dies down from this) or adding another wife to the mix.  Plus, TLC probably paid for the trip to Hawaii. 

I see Satan in the background rubbing his hands together.  Four souls for the price of one. 

• Love 3

of course, this is ALL speculation...but I could envision Robyn, with her chin quivering, digging tear goop out of her eyes, telling Kody that Meri is infertile, the other 2 are done having kids....as long as she's going to be the one having more kids she wants to be legit.  

• Love 3

There definitely would be a "Breaking Brown" special for the first one to blow, but I'm just not sure any of them will. Janelle left the family but continued her relationship with Kody. Meri is the most likely choice, but she's put up (and I do think that is the right phrase at the very least) with the situation because she was totally in love with Kody. Now Mariah is out in the world and she's moving on to the next stage of her life, she may not find that having less Kody in it is a bad thing, even if she still remains officially a part of the group in the same way that someone going to mass at Christmas and Easter can still technically think of themselves as a practicing Catholic.

They are definitely going to spin this as Meri's idea to save Robyn's kids, but to me there's little doubt it originated with Kody and Robyn somehow. 5 years ago Robyn was in debt up to her eye balls, living in a trailer. Now she has a McMansion, a hobby business that she suggested over more sensible ideas. It's failing but she has it, a 2nd legal marriage and a TV show that is determined to show her POV at all times at the minute. That doesn't happen by accident.

Even if it was for "practical"/grifting reasons first and foremost, you can't tell me there isn't a massive emotional component. These women can't stand thinking of the time that Kody spends with the others and make everything a competition. They may believe sealing is important, but they don't assign no difference to legal marriage in their hearts because otherwise he'd have married none of them like some Centennial Parkers do, or offered to marry and divorce them all in turn so they are "equal" in that way.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 3

Not sure if you guys noticed (or maybe I missed it ) but on one of the more recent shows, when they showed one of Robyn's kids with Kody,, it said 'Robyn an Kody's daughter' on the screen.  It didn't say step, it didn't say her daughter. Of course I don't know what the arrangement is with the bio-dad (is he alive?) but that sure sounded weird.

Whether the marriage/divorce thing is for grift or 'graft'  or a faux-made-for-tv scandal I don't know,  but as someone said upthread- I'm paraphrasing here, but something along the lines of how they basically fly by the seat of their pants about everything, the 'live in the moment', bankruptcies/racking up credit card debt thing does seem to be their MO for people who are so concerned with eternity and afterlives. There is certainly an element of constant chaos with this group, which didn't seem to be there when the show first aired- can't say that is entirely to be blamed on Robyn, it was probably there as an undercurrent but not so evident on the surface back then- the sense of everything being strung together with silly string.

Edited by BlackWidow

I know! I've been watching closely and trying to see if I notice any behavior that would have tipped us off to the new "wife-ing," (thanks, islandgal140!) situation, and it really make me read into Christine and Janelle's actions.  Christine's irritation with Robyn, and Jenelle's aloofness now feels like resignation.  She's just given in to the situation and she doesn't give a shit anymore.  She's just concerned with her children.  Like I said, I'm sure I'm just reading into things...>>

(re Islandgal and Zenme's comments)

On the episode where Christine acted slighted by Robyn bringing in her own real sister to help with her kids,  it was telling when Robyn had this 'wait, huh? You want to help with my kids since when?I thought you couldn't stand me' look on her face -remember the baby weight comparison awkward lunch where Christine was saying in this totally scary sweet fake tone about how she thought they would become buddies but it just didn't happen and oh it isn't your fault, Robyn, Kody handled it wrong, it's not you, it's me' BS speech.. reminded me of that.  When Chris was saying in the more recent episode re watching the kids, when she was saying 'you are never going to need me' , it kind of sounded like she was telling her that, in an indirect way, like she was playing it like she was bummed out about it, but the takeaway was 'you don't need me and I don't want you to need me, don't even ask '. Some might call it passive-aggressive ( can you blame her, really?)  but Christine would be great in the mafia, she really knows how to get those indirect messages across like a godfather boss.

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 2

My favorite episode would be:

Kody & Robyn return from their Hawaiian honeymoon to find a cul-de-sac with 3 empty houses. In the distance they see a cloud of dust left by 3 U-Haul vans heading to greener pastures.  And a new show: Former Sister Wives - Life After Being Shacked -Up with an Idiot.

Robyn and Kody would love that too much. Then, it wouldn't be their fault that they are practicing monogamy, it would be the other three. I wouldn't watch the spin-off unless TLC made them take acting classes.  They lie so much and so badly, that the show is insufferable.

• Love 3

Even if it was for "practical"/grifting reasons first and foremost, you can't tell me there isn't a massive emotional component. These women can't stand thinking of the time that Kody spends with the others and make everything a competition.

Absolutely...especially since this "legal restructuring" is going to be followed up with a Hawaii honeymoon....if this was truly a decision based in practicality and pragmatism, then there would be no need to celebrate it, let alone celebrate it in the most intimate, "romantic" way possible(short break while I throw up in my mouth a little bit at the thought of Koduche and Sobbin being romantic). Of course, I'm sure TLC is paying for the trip, so who cares, right?

I don't know....as messed up as this all seems, I really don't know where the truth of it all lies at the end of the day. I think TLC and the Browns are hoping on, counting on, and actively fueling  public outrage and criticism to help keep interest in their pathetic show alive. For all their "don't judge us..we're just normal people trying to live our lives in peace", they are also financially incompetent fame whores who have to keep ratings up and stay relevant in the public eye...no matter what cost to the lives of the people involved. So, grift or not, ratings ploy or not....it still sucks for those kids who didn't get a say in any of this hot mess.

• Love 2

I recall the older kids saying one time that they have always been flakey i think. Flakey wasn't the words they used but something to the effect that their lives had never been stable or normally routine. Does anyone else remember that TH with all the older ones?

• Love 2

I recall the older kids saying one time that they have always been flakey i think. Flakey wasn't the words they used but something to the effect that their lives had never been stable or normally routine. Does anyone else remember that TH with all the older ones?

I remember them saying something about not believing the adult pie-in-the-sky stories until they actually happen, implying there had been a LOT of previous B.S. Seems to me it was when they were trying to get the houses in LV, maybe?

• Love 2