Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Chapter Twelve

Jane's career is on the upswing, but she's skeptical about this good fortune, especially because it involves Rogelio. Elsewhere, Sin Rostro's link to the hotel has Rafael worrying about his family's safety; and Petra can no longer run from her past.

I thought it was going to be Emilio for a while, but the fact that everybody started suspecting him over the last few episodes made it obvious that he wasn't, and throughout this episode it became clear it would have been more of a twist if Rose wasn't Sin Rostro.

Bridget Regan plays an amazing sexy villainess, though.

It's possible the show really is done with The Passions of Santos, but in case not, my guess:  Jane's death scene/Rogelio's general popularity produces an overwhelming fan response and they demand his return (if that new guy is supposed to be taking over the show, he's not nearly hot enough to be a romantic lead -- in my straight male's opinion, anyway).

• Love 8

Tonight sealed it for me: Petra is a Scarlett Johannson doppleganger.  It's to Yael Grobglas' credit that she's a better actress than ScarJo.

What a cold way for Emilio to go.  So, the plastic surgery tunnels were Rose's idea?  Why'd Emilio bother to keep them a secret from Rafael, in that case?

All that effort on the assistant's part to get Rogelio fired when there's no guarantee he'll be as popular as El Presidente?  Eh.  Telenovelas.

Finally, I do wish Jane would stop being such a sucker.  Rafael's knows his own sister fairly well, I'd wager.  Follow his lead, girl.

Edited by 80srockher

I had sort of suspected Rose was Sin rostro all along so I was pleased that I was correct. Damn, she cold though. I am very happy that it did not end up being Rafael. I know the show had gone away from hinting that he was, but I was still glad to get confirmation. I've grown to really like him.

Yael Grobglas does a very good job with Petra. She's become very sympathetic.

Jane is so very naive. Loved her scenes with Rogelio tonight.

• Love 3

I've long suspected Rose as Sin Rostro but it wasn't until tonight that I realized that her name gave her away.  Ros(e)stro.  Oh how silly I feel.

One thing I love about this show is how little lines aren't throaway lines.  For instance, the show had the gag with Rogelio running romantic lines with his assistant and it was there we learned he was an actor.  They brought it home with him being the one to oust Rogelio (who, btw, gave quite a performance.)  And the nice little scene with Petra and Jane gave Petra the idea to use fake blood.  I wonder why Magda was faking it.

And finally, I don't care if they're supposedly too "happy" right now, I adore Jane and Rafael as a couple.  Full stop.  I like that they're different in how trusting they are.  Rafael has every reason to not buy into what Petra and Luisa were selling even if they happen to be telling the truth this time.  And I like how Jane can see them from a different angle.  I appreciate how the show deals with the difference and has them deal with those differences.  I especially love that Rafael shared his suspicions about his dad.  Well played, indeed. 

Oh and Michael, good tenacity in hunting down the clues but I really don't think you can get a warrant via stolen information if it's a cop doing the stealing.

• Love 9

Rogelio (Jaime) is MARVELOUS. I can't take my eyes off him whenever he's onscreen. His death scene brought tears to my eyes, and it was for a fictional telenovela!

I was thinking his acting was excellent there, which is way different from the OTT style he normally does on the show.

• Love 5

I mean, I guessed the reveal a few episodes back but I didn't think we'd see it like that (poor Emilio)! Bridget Regan, you are so good at being bad :)

Jane & Rafael are cute but I'm glad they don't take up too much screen time because I'd get bored fast if they did.

Loving Petra more with each and every episode. (Also why did her mother lie about walking?)

Petra's face when Milos banged his fist on the table. OMG, that actress is amazing.

Rogelio's death scene. I too had tears, and then Jane called him dad. It was beautiful how Jane had him say her abuela's words.

Loved Jane and Rafael tonight. They make each other better.

Xo and Ro's scene was cute.

Poor Rafael. I was not expecting Emilio to end up like this.

Rose. I was suspecting her, but I was also suspecting Emilio and Lochlan. So no win for me!

What the hell is wrong with you, Magda?

• Love 2

Rose...I had a feeling you were a bad bad girl :). Cheating on your husband with his daughter, then lying about said affair resulting in her mistress getting committed... but even I was surprised at what you did to Emilio lol. And the answer to who sin rosato is was staring us in the face...if u addedan e after ros lol

I'm gathering Petra is this shows Willemina... the baddie in the original telenovela..softened with an edge still remaining for the US audience. Still think there is more to the magda/milos story..and wondering if it will remain is islanded from the rest of the show or eventually reconnected?

I can really get behind Petra and Milo's. He obviously cares about her and she needs some good in her life. I liked her bonding with Jane.

Rogelio's death scene and Jane calling him "dad" made me cry. Xo and Rogelio are adorable as well, and I just love how well Jane and Raphael complement each other.

Poor Emilio! I wonder how Rose became Sin Rostro.

• Love 2

I think the thing that humanizes Petra more than getting along with Jane is that Petra's weakness is apparently coins on the ground.  Haha.  That moment were Milos threw a coin, followed by acid.  (I mean it was horrible, but... hilarious)  So, if Magda isn't Sin Rostro, why was she faking being in a wheelchair?  So many questions.

I loved Sin Rostro being Rose.  So, cocky having that as the name.  I do wonder how Emilio knew the contractor.

Rogelio had a vision board for him and Jane!  He is the best.  I am so glad she called him dad.  They did each other proud.  I hope he finds work soon.  Maybe he'll end up on another telenovela.

• Love 2

WOW. What a whirlwind.

I think Emilio and Rose were in on the drug smuggling together, but she found a convenient way to make everyone think he is Sin Rostro and the only one in charge, and they will all think he fled the country and won't be looking for him nearby. Well played, Rose. Sick and twisted, but clever. Although...someone had to have gotten that concrete truck conveniently set up there with a nice self-leveling mix and the chute aimed at the pit...I mean, that stuff hardens fairly quickly so you don't just leave it sitting around all night in the truck waiting for you to open the chute when there aren't construction workers there ready to place it. So someone, probably that same shady guy, must know about her scheme.

Loved Jane working on the script with Imaginary Rogelio there acting it out and reacting. They are great together.

I like how Jane's naive trusting nature and Rafael's cynicism balance out. I wonder how long it will take her to realize how much an addict can't be trusted. So we know what happened to Luisa's mother. I wonder where Rafael's is.

Also I think my eyes bounced out on springs when Milos slit Petra's throat. And then the twist! This show really keeps it hopping.

Edited by Enginerd
  • Love 5

So, if Magda isn't Sin Rostro, why was she faking being in a wheelchair?  So many questions.

It sounds like she was doing it to guilt Petra even more, since she seems very controlling.

Well, damn! Since she had Luisa committed I thought that Rose was either Sin Rostro or someone working undercover to get Sin Rostro. There had to be a reason why she was so against leaving the hotel that she would have Luisa committed. But damn, I didn't expect her to be that cold! Emilio's death was a horrible way to go and he hadn't really done anything to deserve it.

I gotta give the show props: this is how you work a mystery. You weave it in such a way that when we're watching the hints we're not sure and overlook things, but then when it's revealed it all makes sense. Well done.

Is Rose's whistling her version of "evil laugh"? lol.

Petra has won me over. I didn't even like the actress at first, but now she's one of my favourites. I thought it was cute how Jane is so nice that she just couldn't help herself and had to comfort her. Rafael is right about her being so trusting, but I think she was right in tonight's cases: I think both Petra and Luisa were being genuine.

I figured Rogelio's assistant had helped in his firing from the show, but I was surprised by how responsible he was. Turns out Rogelio wasn't that terrible to work with, apparently. Still, I hope the show tanks. It's stupid to get rid of your star to put in an untested nobody just cause you're screwing him.

The death scene was pretty great, and I was glad to see Jane call Rogelio dad. He continues to be a lot of fun. Jane and Rafael are still working, and I'm surprised by how long they have managed to make them work. Usually when shows get couples together they start throwing drama their way right away because they don't know how to show them in a more day to day capacity.

WOW. What a whirlwind.

I think Emilio and Rose were in on the drug smuggling together, but she found a convenient way to make everyone think he is Sin Rostro and the only one in charge, and they will all think he fled the country and won't be looking for him nearby. Well played, Rose. Sick and twisted, but clever. Although...someone had to have gotten that concrete truck conveniently set up there with a nice self-leveling mix and the chute aimed at the pit...I mean, that stuff hardens fairly quickly so you don't just leave it sitting around all night in the truck waiting for you to open the chute when there aren't construction workers there ready to place it. So someone, probably that same shady guy, must know about her scheme.

I don't think Emilio was in on anything. He seemed clueless. ALWAYS seemed clueless, all through the show. I don't think we ever got to see his POV ever, so I've always thought he was just a disposable piece. It's why I never thought he was SR. I'm not sure Rose is smuggling drugs either. I think she is not the original Sin Rostro, but Sin Rostro v. 2.0. Maybe Sin Rostro was her dad or something? I don't know, but we know the big bad drug dealer disappeared for 5 years and then the cops heard stuff about him coming back, but the only thing they have found in the hotel is the plastic surgeries, so that seems to be her thing, not drugs. We have half a season for those things to be revealed, I guess.

I don't think putting Emilio in cement was planned either. I think her plan was to set him up as Sin Rostro, which is why she was so after Rafael, insisting to go to the Police. But Emilio messed with her plans by wanting her to go with him that night, so she reacted. The cement thing was there because there were workers there during the day. Maybe IRL that shit would harden when left alone, but it's telenovela, so we can go with the flow this time, lol.

Rose seems to be more of an impulsive murderer than a planner, I think. Killing a guy with a corkscrew seems impulsive too. For what it's worth, I think she cares about Luisa for real because otherwise she would've just killed her to shut her up. Sooo, yay?

One thing that doesn't fit, though: Rose was with the rest of the public when Zaz was impaled in the ice sculpture.

2uien38.png

Did someone else kill him or had they just not decided that Rose was Sin Rostro then? Maybe it was Magda, to protect Petra. Pushing people may be her thing.

• Love 4

That ending though! (I had my cards on Magda as Sin Rostro, so I was wrong.) We knew Rose was scheming though, look what she did to Luisa! But now, of course, I need to go back and watch for clues. But did anyone else suspect Rose? I did not. (Even with her name clue someone upthread pointed out.)

Guys, I don't know if it is because I've always been a romantic, or if it is just because they are so dang cute, but I really really really love Rafael and Jane (it is probably the former reason though, and it helps that they are both gorgeous.) I was never really Team Michael. Michael always seemed like he had an agenda, and he did, so. 

I thought it was so clever of Petra to use fake blood and that whole plan. I thought, originally, that Jane would just use her story on the show, but that was so so clever of her to get her mom like that. 

Rogelio continues to be my favourite person on this show though. and his acting. and that scene in which he died and then then Jane used the same thing her grandmother said to her all those years ago. 

This show continues to grow and be good and how they work and develop their plots and how they develop their mystery. It's one of the two shows I talked really badly about before it started and now I am in love.

I can't even wait for the next episode.

and loved Rose's whistling. It made it seem like what she was doing was very non-chalant. 

• Love 5

That ending though! (I had my cards on Magda as Sin Rostro, so I was wrong.) We knew Rose was scheming though, look what she did to Luisa! But now, of course, I need to go back and watch for clues. But did anyone else suspect Rose? I did not. (Even with her name clue someone upthread pointed out.)

I started suspecting Rose awhile ago but I didn't think that the reveal would be what happened tonight. I was surprised, pleasantly surprised though because I thought they executed it very well.

Sidenote: my friend pointed out that Rose whistled after her sexy times with Luisa in the hotel. Maybe it's her version of expressing joy lol?

• Love 1
That ending though! (I had my cards on Magda as Sin Rostro, so I was wrong.) We knew Rose was scheming though, look what she did to Luisa! But now, of course, I need to go back and watch for clues. But did anyone else suspect Rose? I did not.

I thought it was Magda too. Even though her concern that her husband was Sin Rostro was somewhat OTT, the reveal still took me completely by surprise.  Well played show.  Well played.

Rogelio continues to be my favourite person on this show though. and his acting. and that scene in which he died and then then Jane used the same thing her grandmother said to her all those years ago.

ITA!

So happy we got so much Petra in this episode. I love her. I think I weirdly ship her/Milos actually. He's a cute little crazy person!

My Rafael hate grows with each episode. I keep wondering if he's supposed to be coming off like a dick or if JB is just a terrible actor.

The Rose reveal wasn't shocking at all to me, but her killing Emilo that way kinda was. Bridget Regan did a similar face during that as she did when Dottie wanted the bad guy's gun on Agent Carter last week and it cracked me up.

"Plastic surgery can't fix your posture." LOL.

• Love 2

I loved Jane's face when she saw Petra crying in the stairwell: her this-is-number-one-on-the-list-of-things-I-don't-want-to-deal-with-but-will-because-I'm-Jane face.

So why was Lachlan messing with Petra with the tulips?

Edited by Silly Angel

Rogelio had a vision board for him and Jane!  He is the best.  I am so glad she called him dad.  They did each other proud.  I hope he finds work soon.  Maybe he'll end up on another telenovela.

Maybe he'll become Jane's pregnancy coach? LOL As long as they keep him in the show, I don't care what he does. I started out thinking he was not that great, but by the end of the first episode, I was hooked on Rogelio. :)

WOW. What a whirlwind.

I think Emilio and Rose were in on the drug smuggling together, but she found a convenient way to make everyone think he is Sin Rostro and the only one in charge, and they will all think he fled the country and won't be looking for him nearby. Well played, Rose. Sick and twisted, but clever. 

I like how Jane's naive trusting nature and Rafael's cynicism balance out. I wonder how long it will take her to realize how much an addict can't be trusted. So we know what happened to Luisa's mother. I wonder where Rafael's is.

Also I think my eyes bounced out on springs when Milos slit Petra's throat. And then the twist! This show really keeps it hopping.

I was wondering if Emilio was not going to get rid of Rose, but then she's the one who got rid of him. That'd be a good twist if both were involved in the Sin Rostra scam and Rose found a devil way to get out of it.

I too think Jane and Rafael balance each other out. I wonder how he will react to learning his dad is Sin Rostro (or as we know he's not but he's dead...)

Yes, Petra's throat getting slit had my eyes pop out, too! I cannot wait to hear why Magda acted the way she did.

This is probably what I like the most about this show. ALL, and I mean ALL of the story lines are interesting to me, and I want to know what happens to all of the characters!

Did someone else kill him or had they just not decided that Rose was Sin Rostro then? Maybe it was Magda, to protect Petra. Pushing people may be her thing.

Good eyes! I did not see nor did I remember that Rose was in the crowd when Zaz died. I am with you - most likely suspect is Magda, but I disagree on the motive given what we have seen of her tonight. I think it was less to protect Petra but to make sure Petra was going to get money out of Rafael (or perhaps Magda was hoping Petra would get back with Rafael).

"Plastic surgery can't fix your posture." LOL.

That was funny!

This show continues to grow and be good and how they work and develop their plots and how they develop their mystery. It's one of the two shows I talked really badly about before it started and now I am in love.

I will be honest and say I was a tad worried about the show after the premiere of the second season (or is it the second part of season 1?) I liked the show, but I was worried that for someone who just found it and started watching it, it was going to be too jammed pack and too ... boring? And then they gave us last night. OMG, last night was one of my favourite episode so far.

• Love 1

Petra and Milos are the best! I loved their scene at the table.

The scene with Jane and Petra was also great. Right now the Sleepy Hollow and Arrow forums are sheer trainwrecks over two women characters on those shows. So. It's great to see a show that develops relationships between women well. Of course that starts with Jane, her mom and abuela. But I think the show has done a great job with explaining Petra's actions, and I love that Jane's kindness showed through when she saw Petra in distress.

Now I wanna know about Magda! Why the wheelchair and the lying?

Rogelio is always the best. Can't wait for his next career!

• Love 4

I cant believe how much I like Petra and Milos! I swear, this show just makes me like so many of its characters, its incredible.

I kind of suspected Rose of being Sin Rostro, but damn. That was cold as ICE. Normally, I feel like if a show starts throwing out its Big Reveals, it starts to run into trouble, but this show just keeps throwing out new plot lines. Whats Rogelio going to do now (Not gonna lie, I teared up when Jane called him Dad. I just love them so very much)? Why is Magda faking being in a wheelchair, and what are Petra and Milos going to do now? Will Michael catch on to Rose before that ominous voice over from last week catch up to him? 

This show is juggling a lot of stories, but its also resolving them quite quickly, and moving onto new ones.  

• Love 1

So why was Lachlan messing with Petra with the tulips?

I think he wanted to keep her scared so she would depend on him more and more, and then have her controlled... either because he's still genuinely into her or because he wants revenge.

• Love 2

I think she is not the original Sin Rostro, but Sin Rostro v. 2.0. Maybe Sin Rostro was her dad or something? I don't know, but we know the big bad drug dealer disappeared for 5 years and then the cops heard stuff about him coming back, but the only thing they have found in the hotel is the plastic surgeries, so that seems to be her thing, not drugs. We have half a season for those things to be revealed, I guess.

I am officially calling it: Rose was the original Sin Rostro before. Rose was also a dude. Something happened and she had to vanish. So she plastic surgeoned herself into the Rose we know now and met Luisa and through that, Louisa's dad. Saw the opportunity and took it. Now that she got rid of Emilio she going after Rafael. I am calling it. 

I really need to check out more telenovelas. Does anyone know of any that have English subtitles?

Yes and No. You can find some on Hulu but will probably need Hulu plus. You can also by DvDs. But there are more a best of than the whole story. Some are good (like... Sortilegio) some are really bad.

• Love 1

I was pretty meh on Petra until this episode. When Milos "murdered" her, I was both upset that she was suddenly being killed and shocked that they went there.

I'm glad they didn't actually go there. Also loved how they intercut Santos and co.'s scene and dialogue with Milos' murderous spiel to Petra.

I hope Jane and Petra develop a friendship. Both of them could use a female friend in their own age group (Jane's sucky hotel friends don't count).

Edited by commadrama
  • Love 6

I hope the telenovela tanks without Rogelio and they want him back. Like in a normal soap opera fashion, another soap should be grabbing him up instantly.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 6

I don't think putting Emilio in cement was planned either. I think her plan was to set him up as Sin Rostro, which is why she was so after Rafael, insisting to go to the Police. But Emilio messed with her plans by wanting her to go with him that night, so she reacted. The cement thing was there because there were workers there during the day. Maybe IRL that shit would harden when left alone, but it's telenovela, so we can go with the flow this time, lol.

You're probably right. I doubt we are supposed to overthink the realities of construction. Better adjust my suspension of disbelief to include convenient grout that gets flung out with enough force to knock a guy out. It was a little too amazingly fortuitous that everything was set up just right, but...stranger things have actually happened, I guess.

I don't think Emilio could have been completely innocent, though. How could he not have had any clue what was going on in his hotel? I'm fairly sure he was up to something dirty, but maybe not directly as a key player the Sin Rostro case. Rafael is pretty clueless about what goes on in the hotel, too, but he's only been there managing it a short time.

I think it's funny that Rafael is always thinking Jane is so naive and trusting. It's true, she is, but in spite of how they contrast, he isn't all that different. He believes his father is innocent; I'm not at all convinced of that. He didn't suspect anything during the obvious setup in the bar when he was drugged. He underwrote Luisa's malpractice insurance when no one else would. He didn't smell a rat in any of the stuff Rose has been telling him about Luisa or Emilio. Rafael has developed a cynicism and distrust toward Petra and Luisa because they have both burned him too many times, but I think his basic nature is to give people a chance and believe what they tell him. I still think Jane and Rafael balance each other well, but I think Rafael's "Calm and In Control" demeanor is a mask covering a lot of emotional issues and a lack of mental sharpness.

So Michael has now gone rogue! It's entertaining. I was so nervous he would get caught using the slooooowwweeeesssssst printer ever. I wonder what the payments prove, though. It seems just as likely that Emilio or any number of his wives have had plastic surgery as that the payments for the underground operations would be right there in the system.

After the first couple episodes, I was worried that they were burning through plot so fast that the show couldn't last more than a season or two, but now there are SO MANY plotlines set up that I don't think they could resolve everything that fast! And they keep throwing more in! I love it!

• Love 1

I really need to check out more telenovelas. Does anyone know of any that have English subtitles?

Most of the telenovelas that show in the U.S. have English subtitles that you can turn on. I don't know if the online viewing platforms all support this feature, though. Also, the quality of both the shows and the captions varies greatly. Sometimes the captions are really terrible and screw up a lot of stuff.

I would say don't bother with telenovelas on DVD. They are super condensed to the point of making little sense. They're more a highlights reel for people who have already seen and loved the whole series than made for viewing on their own.

I second the suggestion above for Sortilegio as a good one to check out. Amor Bravio is also really good. Two of my other favorites were En Nombre del Amor and Mi Pecado, which were both dark but tightly written without a lot of filler and kept to a reasonable length. If you like comedy, Un Gancho al Corazon is a lot of fun, and La Fea Mas Bella is a classic (starring Jaime Camil).

Those are all Televisa novelas. Some people say they like Telemundo shows better. I've only recently started getting Telemundo so I have only seen a couple and I don't think they are better, personally. Although I refuse to watch narconovelas so I haven't seen the more acclaimed ones like La Reina del Sur.

• Love 1

I am officially calling it: Rose was the original Sin Rostro before. Rose was also a dude. Something happened and she had to vanish. So she plastic surgeoned herself into the Rose we know now and met Luisa and through that, Louisa's dad. Saw the opportunity and took it. Now that she got rid of Emilio she going after Rafael. I am calling it. 

Oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... !!!!!!!!!!! I LIKE it!

Tonight sealed it for me: Petra is a Scarlett Johannson doppleganger.  It's to Yael Grobglas' credit that she's a better actress than ScarJo.

At first I read this and wondered what on earth you were talking about and then I realized -- she really does look a lot like her but it's hard to tell because of one key distinction: Grobglas actually moves her face and makes expressions! Good call.

Finally, I do wish Jane would stop being such a sucker.  Rafael's knows his own sister fairly well, I'd wager.  Follow his lead, girl.

Well, except he is completely wrong about her in this case because he believed Rose.

We've known that Terri Alden/Magda can walk for a while now, but that was a cool way to reveal it to Petra -- I only hope that as we find out more about it, now that we know it's not a Sin Rostro thing. I just hope it's not something as lame as emotional manipulation. That'll be dull.

What a fabulous episode. Jane and Rafael bore me as a couple still (they kind of act like a long-term couple even though they barely know each other -- I don't need to see every date but I feel like I need to see more of the development of the relationship beyond just the early butterflies and now jumping straight to the established rapport). But regardless, my disinterest in the pairing does nothing to make the show less awesome for me!

I love Rogelio. "Without Santos, 'The Passions of Santos' is just 'Passions', and that show...FAILED!"

But also, who wrote that plot summary that was given to Jane? The knife plunges into "Santos' heart"?!?!?! "Santos'S heart"!!! Apostrophe-S!

• Love 4

The thing is that in this particular case the whole thing wasn't about Luisa being an alcoholic. She was upset because she walked in on her wife cheating on her. That's why she screwed up and inseminated Jane, not because of her addiction. And if she didn't tell Rafael it wasn't because of her addiction either, it was because she was scared. Rafael speaks like he trusted her and put the hotel on the line for her, but she screwed up because she's an addict and now he's over her... but that's not how it went. It's something else to be mad at her for disappearing and going on a drink binge and barely making court, or thinking she's a drunk and that's why she was spreading lies about Rose, but it seems like his anger goes back to her initial mistakes, which had nothing to do with drinking. It annoys me and I keep wanting Luisa to explain WHY she messed up with Jane. It's like the show forgot or something.

I am officially calling it: Rose was the original Sin Rostro before. Rose was also a dude.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Do not want! Do not want!

Now that she got rid of Emilio she going after Rafael. I am calling it.

I think Rafael is safe as long as he doesn't get too close to the truth. Maybe if he keeps digging she will try to frame him too, though.

• Love 2

I think Rafael is safe as long as he doesn't get too close to the truth. Maybe if he keeps digging she will try to frame him too, though.

I agree, and this is why I think that although Rafael is more naive than he thinks he is, his obliviousness is a blessing in disguise. If he were sharper and more suspicious of Rose, she wouldn't hesitate to get rid of him, too. Luisa's lucky she was only institutionalized. I wonder how Betty is doing.

I did think it was sweet how Jane pointed out that of course she could forgive Luisa's mistake when that was what brought her Rafael and the baby...and that Rafael found that a nice sentiment also. A lot of good things in life are the result of fortuitous screw-ups. Jane does have some real flaws, but in a jaded world it's nice to have a character who looks on the sunny side without becoming cloying.

• Love 2

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Do not want! Do not want!

Sorry, still calling it. Also Sin Rostro didn't derive (?) from Rose but Rose from Sin Rostro. 

When I said she would go after Rafael, I ment that she would try to seduce him. She needs a better reason to stay at the hotel and her operation than: Hey... tot's waiting for you dad here... whom I luv so much. So she will try to get to Rafael next. Why not Luisa? Luisa is a wild card. While I think that Rose (who is probably called Cesar or Luis Fernando in her past life) really does love Luisa, she will try to be the next Mrs. Rafael Solano. 

We will need drama soon in regards of the Rafael/Jane pairing. It is the law of telenovela. Rose will be that drama. She will kill Michael and move in on Rafael.

Thank you both so much!

DvD's I have (where the story still makes sense and you might enjoy): Corazon Salvaje, Pasion de Gavilanes, Pasion, Soy tu Duena, Alborada, La fuerza del destino, Triunfo del Amor, Dame Chocolate. I have more if you are interested. Since I am from germany, I have to pay a lot of shipping fees. So I am SUPER Peculiar regarding subtitles and sense in the story.

If you want to see more of Jaime Camill; Por ella soy Eva is supposed to be really good.

Edited by chysalis

Regarding Rose being in the crowd when Zaz was killed, my guess and what I thought was established with the dent in the wall from the bell cart is she had the dead bellboy do it and then offed him with the corkscrew to tie up the loose end.

Also completely on board with Rose having made a big transformation from man to woman, I had the same thought while watching and this show is obviously willing to go just about anywhere with wild stories. Is there a timeline established regarding her initial affair with Luisa and her marriage to Emilio? It would help make sense of the five year lull in Sin Rostro activities. Has Sin Rostro gone from trafficking drugs to trafficking criminals in need of a new identity and face, hence the elaborate plastic surgery facilities? Love that this show keeps me guessing, it brings back fond memories of trying to guess the big bad on Veronica Mars!

Edited by Cookie1981
  • Love 1

I know the show is OTT, but for me it would just be too much. Sin Rostro, a big bad drug lord, making himself into a woman and then proceeding to spend how much time having sex with some dude he doesn't even like? To a powerful drug lord dude that would be way too humiliating. And that's without counting that Luisa is a gynecologist/obstetrician, and I hope she would be able to tell the difference.

Rose probably did change her face herself, though. Maybe Sin Rostro was a woman all along and the police assumed she was a man.

• Love 2

When I said she would go after Rafael, I ment that she would try to seduce him. She needs a better reason to stay at the hotel and her operation than: Hey... tot's waiting for you dad here... whom I luv so much. So she will try to get to Rafael next. Why not Luisa? Luisa is a wild card. While I think that Rose (who is probably called Cesar or Luis Fernando in her past life) really does love Luisa, she will try to be the next Mrs. Rafael Solano. 

I don't know that she'd really need much of an additional reason to hang around.  We already saw her doing some stuff related to the hotel, and she and Rafael appear to be on good terms; I doubt he'd find it suspicious that she wanted to keep living there.

I think Rose would be crazy and stupid to try to seduce Rafael. Right now, he trusts her and sees her as a member of the family. I don't think he'd try to throw her out of the hotel. After it becomes apparent that his father is gone, he'll probably see her as a victim and be protective of her. He has said before that she is the only one of his (who knows how many) stepmothers who has seemed to care at all about him and Luisa.

If she tries to seduce him, though, he would probably see that as a betrayal of his father (even if by that point he believes Daddy-0 is Sin Rostro) and a betrayal of the family relationship. Plus, it would be like announcing to him that she's predatory and of questionable morals and sensibilities. It would make him suspicious of her.

All that said, though, it would be HIGH DRAMA, so it's definitely a possibility, and Rose is clever so she might find just the right moment to pounce when he is vulnerable.

• Love 1

Hulu has Novelas Xpresss, where Univision novelas are edited down to 12-15 episodes, including Las Tontas No Van al Cielo with Jaime Camil. Unfortunately, those are the only shows I've found on Hulu with english subtitles.

Dramafever primarily has Korean dramas but it has a few novelas with subtitles.

If your cable package has Mun2, they air oldish (or in the case of Ojo Por Ojo, a novela that never aired) shows from Telemundo. My cable package has 2 Mun2 channels, one is part of a latino package and one is part of my digital tier. I have no idea what the difference between the two is since I only have access to one.

Most currently-airing shows also have captions in CC3 but I've never gotten it to work and online viewing doesn't have english captions. (Which is too bad because I really wanted to watch Kate del Castillo's new show, which debuted a few weeks ago.)

Also, I think you can find on YouTube the MyNetwork TV telenovelas, which were straight up novela remakes in English: Wicked Wicked Games, Watch Over Me, Desire and Fashion House. Everything but Desire was pretty good, though Fashion House is a bit of a chore until Morgan Fairchild shows up and makes it amazing7.

Getting back to the topic, there's a part of me annoyed that The Passions of Santos doesn't seem like a proper novela. Isn't the series supposed to have a planned beginning and end? If Santos dies, shouldn't that be known from before they start filming? (Also, shouldn't there be a virtuous poor girl who turns out to be El Presidente's daughter and gets to live happily ever after?) They probably could have fixed that by changing Rogelio's line to "How will the show end with El Presidente bringing world peace with his amazing speech to the UN if El Presidente is dead?"

I love the small touches that most shows wouldn't even think to do, like Rose brushing away the "Sin Rostro." from the screen.

Me too! That was genius.

Can I just say one thing really enraged me in this ep: Jane considers Rafael one of the two most important people in her life. Really Jane? REALLY? She needs something to knock her out of this insanity IMO.

• Love 4

Jaime Camil's La Fea Mas Bella was suggested but I'm biased against Mexican telenovelas. I find them to be so broad. I'd go with the original--the one that spawned so many successful adaptations including La Fea (and the US's Ugly Betty but Ugly Betty didn't follow the plot of the original novela at all).  It's the Colombian version called Yo Soy Betty La Fea.  The great thing about beloved classics is that you usually can find versions online with fan given English subtitles. 

Here is a link for Betty La Fea.  There is also an English subtitled version on YouTube but these subtitles are much better/thorough. (It looks like three or four videos might be unavailable.  That's when you'd want to head to YouTube.)  I've also been meaning to watch Cafe, Con Aroma de Mujer by the same creator. 

As for the question about whether or not the telenovelas ending are written in advance--not always.  When a telenovela is successful, it can get extended.  When it gets extended, all kinds of crazy things can happen.

Since Ugly Betty already did this and it worked better since the character who changed genders had a past with the Meade family, I hope this show doesn't go down this route.  I'm not opposed to a transger man or woman playing an important role on this show, I'd just like it to count more. 

But I think I'm going to create a speculation thread.  Over the past few weeks, I've been beginning to think we really need one.

Not to be overly pc, but I really hope they don't go the transgender route with Rose. It is too outlandish and over the top a plot line, and if there are going to be more transgender people on tv, I would prefer they just be ordinary people, not villains using it as a way to go into hiding or something.