Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Seed Money

Athena

While Kitty tries to find a runaway teen, Sherlock and Joan work a case in which the murder of a brilliant bioengineer looks to be at the hands of a drug cartel. Also, Joan makes a major life decision but worries it will impact Sherlock negatively, not knowing that Sherlock has big news of his own.

So the cartel did kill the 2 agri-execs as payback for being framed?

Or was it because she killed their golden boy?

Or both?

And even though she "didn't mean to kill anyone," will she really get off lightly considering 5 people are dead because of her actions? Or was Joan just using the Brenda Leigh technique from The Closer to get her to write a confession?

• Love 3

I thought when Gregson told Sherlock to come alone that the body was Mr. Club-Thumb rapist and Kitty had 'taken care' of him.

That's what I wondered, too. I thought, uh oh... what has Kitty done?

I think Sherlock's wrong about her. She's doing very well, all things considered, but I don't think she's ready to be made full partner. I think deep down there are some dark demons still waiting to come out. I feel like we saw that with how she handled Captain Gregson's daughter's abusive boyfriend/partner. 

I think it was because she killed their golden boy, yes. That was my take.

• Love 2

Or both?

And even though she "didn't mean to kill anyone," will she really get off lightly considering 5 people are dead because of her actions? Or was Joan just using the Brenda Leigh technique from The Closer to get her to write a confession?

Joan's theory of the crime was that the cartel was angry about being framed. (She said that in the police station when the cartel guy was giving his confession, after Sherlock convinced her that someone from the agri-company was the culprit.)

But killing their golden boy could certainly be a factor, too.

As for the murderer, I don't think there's any way they'd go easy on her. But confessing could mean the difference between a charge of second-degree murder and a charge of first-degree murder. Joan made it sound like the authorities would be more likely to believe that the murder wasn't premeditated if she confessed then and there.

• Love 2

As soon as Sherlock told Joan he thinks Kitty is ready to be a full-fledged partner, I figure something would derail that by the end of the episode.  And, sure enough, it looks like her rapist is now in NYC.  And has even possibly added murder to his list of evil deeds.  Yeah, I'm sure this is going to squash that plan.  While I thought the scene between Sherlock and Joan about Kitty was nice and she has grown on me a lot, I still feel like they kind of rushed this particular development.  I think this would have been more believable if this was near the end of the season, instead of mid-season.  I feel like Kitty has only just started coming into her own as an investigator.

I did like how the case ended up being about these orchids, instead of the marijuana plants, but a little bit annoyed with the typical "she was a jilted lover" twist instead.  I would have preferred if they just stuck with it the victim being killed because of shady corporate reasons.  Still, I did like that Joan put the final piece together, and was the one who got to deliver the news.

Favorite part was Sherlock's hatred with AgriNex because of that their methods due to bees.  Glad that Sherlock's love for bees hasn't been completely dropped.  Good thing it wasn't turtles, or they would have probably had both Sherlock and Joan out for their blood.

I see Sherlock isn't quite hip with modern cinema (or even 90s cinema, since he has no clue what Point Break was.)  Maybe if they find Kitty's rapist and everything ends happy, they can relax and have a nice Netflix marathon.  Although, I suspect Sherlock would be a horrible person to watch movies/TV with.  He seems like someone who would loudly nitpick everything.

• Love 5

Joan's theory of the crime was that the cartel was angry about being framed. (She said that in the police station when the cartel guy was giving his confession, after Sherlock convinced her that someone from the agri-company was the culprit.)

But killing their golden boy could certainly be a factor, too.

As for the murderer, I don't think there's any way they'd go easy on her. But confessing could mean the difference between a charge of second-degree murder and a charge of first-degree murder. Joan made it sound like the authorities would be more likely to believe that the murder wasn't premeditated if she confessed then and there.

Honestly I figured that Joan would emphasize the SMS threat to get her to talk.  "Like, your lawyer will tell you to leave.  If you do, you'd best hope we come up with enough to arrest you.  Otherwise the SMS is going to track you down, tie you to some tires and you can burn to death in screaming agony like your two co-workers."

• Love 3

I don't understand the direction they're going with for Joan. Isn't the show supposed to be about Holmes & Watson solving crimes in New York? Why is Watson going to work for an insurance company? I also wonder if Kitty was brought on the show just so they can do whatever is going to happen with this story.

• Love 3

I may be completely off-base here, but when they found that body at the end of the episode, Captain Gregson said that the victim had been missing for 4 days.  That wasn't the girl Kitty was looking for for the mother in her Rape Group, was it?  If so, then after that big hug on the couch, Kitty tortured and killed that girl and dumped her body into the river, using the same techniques her attacker used on her.

I'm pretty sure that I'm wrong about this, but it would be a BIG twist for the season (and kind of awesome, too!).  What if Sherlock's apprentice used his training for evil purposes?

• Love 1

If this were another show, I would assume that the writers are going to use Kitty's rapist being in NYC as a way to have Sherlock and Watson co-parent her.

While I understand that the runaway girl has a right to want people to know what her father did to her mother, but I'm glad that Kitty convinced her to respect her mother's privacy. No victim should be forceably outed.

• Love 4

I may be completely off-base here, but when they found that body at the end of the episode, Captain Gregson said that the victim had been missing for 4 days.  That wasn't the girl Kitty was looking for for the mother in her Rape Group, was it?  If so, then after that big hug on the couch, Kitty tortured and killed that girl and dumped her body into the river, using the same techniques her attacker used on her.

I'm pretty sure that I'm wrong about this, but it would be a BIG twist for the season (and kind of awesome, too!).  What if Sherlock's apprentice used his training for evil purposes?

I wondered if it was the same girl too, they didn't identify her in any way, but Sherlock knows what case Kitty was working on, so wouldn't he know if that was the same girl? If not, having Kitty end up being the one who did it would be a really interesting ending.

• Love 1
I don't understand the direction they're going with for Joan. Isn't the show supposed to be about Holmes & Watson solving crimes in New York? Why is Watson going to work for an insurance company? I also wonder if Kitty was brought on the show just so they can do whatever is going to happen with this story.

Yes, I think that whatever happens here, which I suspect will be that they find the rapist and Kitty kills him, it will be the end of Kitty's story-line on the show. If she kills him, either she will have to flee the country to avoid prosecution, or even if it is seen as self-defense, she will decide that she's done in New York and return to England. Then Watson will return to working with Sherlock more or less full time and living at the Brownstone. I was surprised that Watson didn't say that the insurance company gig was good, steady money, which she is in need of to pay for her nice apartment. 

I just hope that Kitty doesn't end up dead, as a plot device to make Sherlock feel guilty and miserable and possibly trigger a relapse. Since Sherlock's struggle with the "one day at a time" nature of sobriety has been a theme this season, it's a possibility. Hopefully, the writers are just teasing us with that possibility and it won't happen. Sherlock was right, at this point, a relapse would be anti-climactic. Although that would also get Watson back to living in the Brownstone, which would be a good thing, IMO.

If that happens, I will actually be sad to see Kitty go. Which is unusual for me, in that I normally strongly prefer that nothing interfere with my One True Partnership on shows. I think a lot of credit goes both to the writing and to Olivia Lovibond. She hasn't been the bratty, obnoxious kid character that I feared at first. I ended up liking "Trouble" on Grimm, too. Strange. Maybe it's me.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 6

I loved that it turned out the pot growing doctor preferred to continue working with the drug cartel that murders its enemies by burning them alive in tires instead of going with the agri-business.  Presumably the cartel is more honest and ethical.

• Love 7

I'm becoming bewildered by Joan. It's nice that she's an adult and has calm reactions to big developments (in contrast to the hyper Sherlock), but I feel like she's getting to robot status. Your boyfriend is moving to Denmark? Oh that's nice. Sherlock is going to have a new partner? Let's have pizza for dinner. I just want to see some emotion from her, is that wrong?

• Love 3

If Holmes in the stories talked this much about his feelings, etc I never would have become the fanatical fan of the stories and character I became.

Honestly, Kitty is in some sort of support group, sherlock is in his - what, couldn't figure out one for Joan?  

Every episode has these mini vignettes that come off as little therapy sessions/moments.  Not what I watch for - stop with the depressing stuff, please - can't there be some actual fun in any of these shows?  (Not that there ever was much, but now it is all sad face, for the most part)

And, an insurance company of all things?  Ugh.  If I were in this show, I'd be fuming at whatever the heck it is the writers are doing.

• Love 1

I actually liked Kitty's case more then Joan and Sherlock's.  I think Kitty's figuring out who Tess's dad was by his webbed thumb was impressively Sherlockian, as was her figuring out where Tess was hiding, but where I think she was the best was where Kitty was wonderfully kind in that awesome scene where she talked to Tess about her mom's rapist.  Kitty was kind yet firm and I loved how she reacted when Tess hugged her.  Truly lovely scene.

I really like Kitty and I hope she gets to stay on through this season--let her go back to London at the end of May :)

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 6

I thought they might be building to Kitty not wanting to be a detective, but do something with rape survivors and their families instead.  I'm probably wrong though, I usually am.  Especially since her rapist is at large and in NYC it seems.  She probably will die somehow and Sherlock will backslide and Joan will move back in.

• Love 1
Honestly, Kitty is in some sort of support group, sherlock is in his - what, couldn't figure out one for Joan? 

Joan has a therapist ;)

Every episode has these mini vignettes that come off as little therapy sessions/moments.  Not what I watch for - stop with the depressing stuff, please - can't there be some actual fun in any of these shows?  (Not that there ever was much, but now it is all sad face, for the most part)

I think this show is often very funny. Later, I will transcribe Sherlock's monologue/shaggy dog story about the super-special-one-of-a-kind-TupTim-pink-orchid (sorry, I can't think of the name right now) that seemingly had nothing whatsoever to do with the case....until it became the case.

I thought that was hilarious.

• Love 2

I forgot to say (seeing Jonny Lee Miller hanging shirtless from Sherlock's metal contraption): damn, Jonny, looking good... kudos.  *GRIN*

When Sherlock starts using a Salmon Ladder....

• Love 2

It is becoming a little too convenient that this show has multiple characters as support group regulars. On the one hand, for Sherlock, at least his reason is a super massive major plot point of the entire series. But it is still an exposition crutch. And they've added another. Slippery slope (toward sloppy writing).

I'm becoming bewildered by Joan. It's nice that she's an adult and has calm reactions to big developments (in contrast to the hyper Sherlock), but I feel like she's getting to robot status. Your boyfriend is moving to Denmark? Oh that's nice. Sherlock is going to have a new partner? Let's have pizza for dinner. I just want to see some emotion from her, is that wrong?

When she turned away from him and towards the audience, I saw in her face expressions of hurt feelings that she didn't want him to see.
  • Love 4

LOL. Thank you, paigow. I had NO idea what that was called. Somehow googling "metal contraption" probably wouldn't have given me the answers I needed.

Actually, Sherlock is NOT using a Salmon Ladder. Sorry for the confusion. Could only paste gif link. 

http://giphy.com/gifs/television-arrow-oliver-queen-faN4cBYMwhtU4

This is pretty close to what Sherlock was actually using...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61b2QVhPKgS._SL1000_.jpg

Edited by paigow
  • Love 2

I didn't agree with the recap this week in regards to Joan and Sherlock and their warmth. I thought they were normal...concerned about each other but holding each other at arm's length with a little bit of hurt. I didn't see loathing or hatred.

I do agree that the case was boring....but Kitty was terrific.

• Love 3

So all I got out of this episode is "this is how they're going to get rid of Kitty". I'm sad just thinking about it. I've really started to like Kitty. 

One thing I really have been having  a problem with is Watson being as good a detective as Sherlock. Sherlock is supposed to be something special, this guy is not the smartest guy in the room and I have a real problem with it. I think it comes from watching reruns of Sherlock. On that show Watson is not stupid and is very valuable to Sherlock but not in the same league at investigation/deduction etc.  On Elementary Watson and Holmes seem to be equals as investigators and it's annoying. Okay rant over. Looking forward to next week.

• Love 4
One thing I really have been having  a problem with is Watson being as good a detective as Sherlock.

I agree, we are not seeing enough of Sherlock's unique deductive skills (although pulling that orchid knowledge out of a hat was quite impressive.)

Why is Watson quitting the detective business if she is so good at it?

Also, where is Watson's boyfriend, is she still getting fully sexed?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

I tonight they were going for an analogy between Watson leaving private investigating for a big firm and the victim of the week leaving working for the cartel to "go legit." But that didn't seem to go anywhere. Joan has always been someone who had contradictory urges towards stability and danger/unpredictability so it's not surprising to see her attempt a more structured job for a while.

• Love 2

Why is Watson quitting the detective business if she is so good at it?

She's not. She's just gone from being her own boss to having a boss, the insurance company. She will be investigating cases/ claims they give her.

She told Sherlock she still intends to work with him and Kitty.

For me, that is where the pull to come back to Sherlock is going to be. Either the company will be full of sketchy folks whom Joan can't work with ultimately, or  the company will be like the stereotypical cop's wife and not get that a case she and Sherlock are on is more immediately important than their case. Or, possibly, she will have to make a choice about which case is actually more immediately important and will have to sacrifice a time-sensitive court-bound case to save a person's life.

But that's my speculation.

Adding to the Kitty/ Ms. Lovibond  love, I enjoyed how she dealt with the case and slowly accepted the hug. Kitty seemed to still be bewildered/surprised, but responded to that girl's flood of emotions.  

I just hope that Kitty survives the rest of the season. Whether she stays in NYC or not, I hope she is the one to make the choice, not the law or the animal that seems to have found her.

Edited by Actionmage

I think she may belong to a group, too. At the end of one episode, we saw Joan attending a sexual assault-related support group along with Kitty - and it looked like she was an active participant.

I'm still not 100% sure if that was meant to indicate that Joan was sexually assaulted at some point.

On one hand, we've seen her sitting in on NA meetings right by Sherlock, even though she's not an addict, so I suppose it's possible she'd also sit in on Kitty's meeting just as a show of support.

But on the other hand, they ended the episode with a shot of Joan, and it seemed like her presence there was supposed to be a big surprise. And the look on her face was one of needing support herself.

...but when they found that body at the end of the episode, Captain Gregson said that the victim had been missing for 4 days.  That wasn't the girl Kitty was looking for for the mother in her Rape Group, was it?

Gregson identified the dead woman to Sherlock as "Melanie Lucas--24 years old".  The 16 year old that Kitty was searching for was named "Tess".

So...not the same.

I'm still not 100% sure if that was meant to indicate that Joan was sexually assaulted at some point.

On one hand, we've seen her sitting in on NA meetings right by Sherlock, even though she's not an addict, so I suppose it's possible she'd also sit in on Kitty's meeting just as a show of support.

But on the other hand, they ended the episode with a shot of Joan, and it seemed like her presence there was supposed to be a big surprise. And the look on her face was one of needing support herself.

I don't know what they wanted us to make of that. NA has closed meetings (addicts wanting to recover only allowed) as well as open ones that anyone can attend, often family members or friends, either there in support of the addict or looking for help for themselves (to learn to set up boundaries - to learn how to recognise and stop enabling behavior and so on). I agree that the way they filmed Joan and her presence at Kitty's meeting was positively gravid with meaning - but of what? It was quite awkward and confusing.

Sherlock, honey, you're way to [sic] smart to be going for this anti gmo rhetoric. Stahp.

I may regret asking this, but can you explain what you mean by that?

I do agree that the case was boring....but Kitty was terrific.

The actress has ruined my enjoyment of watching this show.   She brings the level of energy way down.

Edited by sunnyface

Once someone pointed out that the actress playing Kitty is the servant of the Collector in Guardians of the Galaxy, she's pink girl to me. But I am really enjoying her and the relationship between her and Joan and Sherlock. I really love how this show has many "outcast" parts of society portrayed in such a positive and "normal" light. The Irregulars aren't just street urchins, they're all those who have difficulty fitting in, whether it's addicts, or car thieves, or gays or transgenders or tortoises, and they are all portrayed with dignity that I deeply appreciate. 

I also appreciate how the show is trying to have Joan be a real person and not just the bedknob Sherlock can talk to. In the stories Watson had his own friends and lived on his own, had his own practice. I like seeing Joan not be dependent on Sherlock, that she is able to be a fully functioning, contributing member of society. It makes her relationship and friendship with Sherlock richer, because it shows her as someone who is accepting, understanding and supportive without losing who she is. Even if she is trying to figure out the balance and reconcile the more unique and unusual part of herself with the desire to fit in and be "normal". This has been something we've seen since the very beginning and I'm glad we're still exploring because, like Sherlock's addiction story, it's not something that can be resolved in one episode, or even a season. It will be ongoing, threads that will tie the series together.

And I like that Sherlock supports Watson in all of this. He explained to her mother what makes her special (And the duck is ah-may-zing never fails to make me laugh), he's encouraged and supported her in many ways, and he's backed off when he needed to. He doesn't always do the right thing, and neither does Joan, but I think they have a wonderful understanding of one another and it's such a joy to watch.

So this new partnership dealio is them figuring things out about each other and themselves and I'm interested to see how it develops. And with the reveal about Kitty's tormentor in NYC, I am really looking forward to Joan and Sherlock working together again. 

God I love this show so much.

Oh, and just to make this post waaay too long, but I loved how JLM can make the rage silently pour off of him when he was informed that it looks like Kitty's abductor was in NYC. So still, but so much intensity. 

• Love 7
The actress has ruined my enjoyment of watching this show.   She brings the level of energy way down.

Do you mean the actor or the character - or both? Either way, what is it about her that makes you feel this way? I initially had a negative reaction to her as well, but the more I learn about the character, the more intriguing she becomes.

I also appreciate how the show is trying to have Joan be a real person and not just the bedknob Sherlock can talk to.

Now I have images of Angus as a bedknob and the stories he could tell.

I'll be in my bunk.

When they first brought Kitty on to the show, I was sure it would spoil the chemistry and ruin my enjoyment. Very pleased that I was dead wrong. The character and the actress have grown on me and I really enjoy seeing the three investigators working together. I so hope that they do not kill her off.

• Love 6

I don't think there's any question that Sherlock is still the smartest and the most deductive in the room.  Not even Watson seems to disagree with that.  I mean, the orchid thing along puts him in a class by himself.  However, you don't always have to be brilliant to solve a case and definitely not for an insurance company.  Maybe she wants to go where she will be the smartest person in the room. 

• Love 2
Do you mean the actor or the character - or both? Either way, what is it about her that makes you feel this way? I initially had a negative reaction to her as well, but the more I learn about the character, the more intriguing she becomes.

I am such a fan of both Sherlock and Watson that any third wheel would be unwelcome. The actress isn't playing in the same level  league as the other two plus the character seems to be just a shiny (or mindgame) toy for Sherlock to make Joan jealous.  There really isn't anything appealing in this viewer's eyes about the character/actress - either in appearance or vocals or acting chops.  YMMV.   However, it could be much worse and add me to the others who think that we've already seen more of her than we will see in the future.  It'll give Sherlock yet another thing to sulk about. 

Edited by sunnyface
  • Love 1

I don't mind Kitty, what I don't like is how the show has changed the closeness between Joan and Sherlock. I know the writers wanted to make some changes and development but I miss them working and living together. Too much space between them now literally and figuratively.

Nice to see Jonny's abs make an appearanc. Seeing him hanging there shirtless makes you realize how hard they are working with his hair, mannerisms and wardrobe to make him look less hot!

• Love 3
Nice to see Jonny's abs make an appearance. Seeing him hanging there shirtless makes you realize how hard they are working with his hair, mannerisms and wardrobe to make him look less hot!

And to what purpose? Why can't Sherlock be hot but beyond it all that like he was in previous seasons?  JLM can't enjoy rotating his shoulders to the back like that.  Are we to get some payoff for this?

That's what I don't understand. In the pilot episode, we saw him without his shirt, in all his tattooed glory, and the tone about him was kind of rock-n-roll, very rebellious. What, now that he's dedicated to being sober and behaving himself (in his own special "I'm an excellent housemate way," LOL), he has to dress like a kid going to a hyper-strict bible camp? Is this supposed to be symbolic? Now that he's sober, he's super uptight, from clothing to posture and everything in between? Sherlock feels more progressive than that - he doesn't need to be all buttoned up to stay sober. Unless that is also symbolic of how he's closed up emotionally most days, and when he finally stops doing that, maybe his clothing will also start to loosen up? 

Edited by sinkwriter

She's not. She's just gone from being her own boss to having a boss, the insurance company. She will be investigating cases/ claims they give her.

She told Sherlock she still intends to work with him and Kitty.

For me, that is where the pull to come back to Sherlock is going to be. Either the company will be full of sketchy folks whom Joan can't work with ultimately, or  the company will be like the stereotypical cop's wife and not get that a case she and Sherlock are on is more immediately important than their case.

umm, if she's being paid by them and her work with Sherlock is impacting either the quality or quantity of work she does or she pursues those cases while she is "on the clock", they have every right to have an objection to what she is doing.