Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

My local florist will not use, deliver or offer Mylar balloons anymore due to “a shortage of helium”

There is a global helium shortage. It's not the [sole] reason Party City's are closing but it's getting harder and harder for balloon suppliers to get their helium deliveries which is impacting deliveries. Priority is given to medical and science.

Please think twice before giving balloons (not to mention the impact on the landfill & environment) 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Something I do with Facebook Friends I like but can't stand most of their posts (re: religion or politics, etc.,) is to click on "hide Suzy's posts" or "hide forever Suzy's posts', something like that.  This way I can keep my "friends" but don't have to wade through their annoying posts on my page.

What I often do is click on the post and choose to hide the specific poster they're sharing.  Most of these are political posts that I don't like.  I've got no problem if they're sharing cute videos of cats, or pictures of their kids or grandkids, I just don't want to have to read obnoxious political posts.    

There was actually one acquaintance that I decided to hide all their posts, not because I disagreed with them, but because she posted everything she read all day long.  I swear she spent all day on her computer sharing every single post she read.   

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, ALenore said:

There was actually one acquaintance that I decided to hide all their posts, not because I disagreed with them, but because she posted everything she read all day long.  I swear she spent all day on her computer sharing every single post she read.  

I read a good business case about Facebook a few years ago. I didn't think about it until it was put in front of me in words, but Facebook's model is very dependent on content providers.  And content providers were a small percentage of users who for whatever reason, posted a whole lot of stuff all the time. 

For sure, some content providers are providing worthless content and find their way onto my ignore list, but I can tell you right away who I expect to see every time I open Facebook. They are the people who Facebook needs, to keep me interested in Facebook.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I can tell you right away who I expect to see every time I open Facebook. They are the people who Facebook needs, to keep me interested in Facebook.

I have friends who I enjoy following of Facebook because they post unique, interesting content.   I look forward to reading their posts.  What I don't want to see is the same memes that everyone else is posting popping up over and over again.  I mean, it's fun seeing them once, but when you see the identical post 15 times in one day, it gets tiresome.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

Well, in my case I posted a thank you to friends who took me out for my birthday and she unfriended me because she wasn't included. 

I'm old and old-fashioned, but why would you not send a private thank you to those of your friends that you invited?  It seems that you lent yourself to being unfriended by making your guest list public.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I'm old and old-fashioned, but why would you not send a private thank you to those of your friends that you invited?  It seems that you lent yourself to being unfriended by making your guest list public.

I didn't invite anybody.  Two of my friends invited me out.  I thanked them on my feed.  It shouldn't have been a big deal.

• Love 7
On 8/23/2019 at 6:55 AM, MikaelaArsenault said:

When people unfollow/unfriend me on sites.

Oy, I have had to do this to people for my own sanity in this fraught landscape; I prefer to not think nasty thoughts about people I otherwise love for posting fake, intolerant nonsense that they share from unreliable sources. I try to make a point to purposely look at their pages every few days and "Like" a few posts that do not fall into this category though. 

• Love 5
On August 23, 2019 at 11:17 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Something I do with Facebook Friends I like but can't stand most of their posts (re: religion or politics, etc.,) is to click on "hide Suzy's posts" or "hide forever Suzy's posts', something like that.  This way I can keep my "friends" but don't have to wade through their annoying posts on my page. Every few days I go to their page and if I like a post (photo of grandchild, puppy or kitty, or funny joke ,etc) I click "like" on it.  They have no idea I'm ignoring 99.9% of their posts.  

My daughter's step-father-in-law recently friended me on FB after we met at the wedding. I soon snoozed his posts for 30 days because they include animated cartoons of men in their underwear dancing. This gives me time to figure out a more permanent solution.

• LOL 4
On 8/23/2019 at 2:50 PM, theredhead77 said:

There is a global helium shortage. It's not the [sole] reason Party City's are closing but it's getting harder and harder for balloon suppliers to get their helium deliveries which is impacting deliveries. Priority is given to medical and science.

Please think twice before giving balloons (not to mention the impact on the landfill & environment) 

I had no idea! We just had a new helium tank delivered to the store. Ugh. We charge $1.45 per balloon inflation.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:03 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Peeve: Trying to watch a movie and the person that you are watching it with is constantly annoying me by saying this reminds me of such and such. Over and over again. I missed half the dialogue. Not happy. Then when I mentioned this to them they are mad at me for not being there for them. Hey. I’m here for you, but the movies is not the time to tell me all the little life stories that you have. 

My husband does this all the time. "That actress is Bobbie so-and-so. She was in that movie we saw with joey whatsit where they played spies, remember?" My response is usually, ok, now hit rewind because I missed what they said in THIS movie.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:09 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Uh-oh...it's a good thing we don't live near each other cause I've taken up chewing gum when I drive.  It keeps me from grinding my teeth.  Traffic is rather dicey around here.  But I don't chew gum any other time.  

I often chew gum after lunch in my office, before my afternoon  appointments so I dont keep tasting my lunch. After 5 minutes, my jaw is sore and I realize I hate gum.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:23 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I’m worse than you. I have no landline. Will only answer calls from people I know and have absolutely no message mechanism. 

We have a landline because, when we tried to cancel it, at&t said we would have to pay 10 bucks more a month for internet. Internet is $60, internet and phone is $50. Huh??

• Love 1

Since the balloon discussion is still going on:
It both peeves and grieves me when I am walking on the beach and see deflated Mylar balloons declaring "Happy Birthday!" or "Congratulations!" or even "Happy Mothers Day!" because so often they wind up being swallowed by marine life.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I was buying toilet paper this morning and the only size of toilet paper rolls available was the mega size. Not everyone wants a toilet paper roll the size of a personal watermelon. I can't actually fit the roll into the toilet paper holder in my bathroom. Also, there was not a single package of Target paper towels in the whole store. WTF?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Sorry if this one has been mentioned before: mechanics who can't resist adjusting car seats while working on cars for X amount of time. OK, I get that mechanics are likely far taller than some of their customers (particularly the elderly) but if they honestly can't stand to drive the customers' cars 'as is' around the garage grounds for the brief time they are in possession of said cars, then if they MUST adjust the seats to fit their physiques, then what's stopping them from adjusting the seats BACK to where their paying customers had originally had them! Sorry, but my elderly mother recently had some work done and was barely able see over the dashboard after the mechanics had left their own personal preferences 'as was' when returning the car to her! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Wait, so people bring their own balloons in to be inflated?

No, we also sell not-yet-inflated balloons and charge for inflation. Although, come to think of it, the night manager brought in non-in-store-bought balloons for his son's birthday several weeks ago and I charged him for the inflation. He inflated the balloons himself. I don't actually know how to operate the helium tank.

3 hours ago, Blergh said:

mechanics who can't resist adjusting car seats while working on cars for X amount of time

Same goes for car wash employees who drive 20 feet to move the car to the drying area. 

I also see no reason for mechanics and body shop workers to change my radio station.

I do expect them to steal the laundromat quarters I used to keep in the cup holder.

• Love 7

As much as I hate telemarketers and robo-calls, I had to laugh at the one I got today.  They left a long, detailed message on my landline answering machine about options for repaying my student loans and how they can save me so much money, yadda yadda yadda.  It was great.

I don't have any student loans.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

My peeve today is pharmaceutical companies. My thyroid medication was apparently recently reformulated and the manufacturer didn't inform patients. They claim this new formula did not change the strength of the medication at all yet thousands of thyroid patients are now complaining about the smell of the med and that they have symptoms returning that weren't there before. I noticed the new smell back in early July but didn't think much about it until I started feeling off recently. Did labs last week and everything is wonky despite "nothing changing". Now I have to change up my dosage again, which takes months to figure out if it's working, and deal with all of these symptoms again.

It's the third thyroid medication I've been on that has been reformulated in recent years and has made things worse, despite what the manufacturer says. It's so frustrating.

• Love 1

-This is a PSA. I consider myself a very good online shopper. 

My father loves and does well with Brooks Beast (he’s 72). He has neuropathy so they treat him well. I ordered him the latest model from Nordstrom and sadly they didn’t work for his inserts. 

I googled the previous model and found a site where I could get 2 price for the price (not as crazy as it sounds- model before he wears an 8.5m). 

I order from Brooks.com....and then.  I’m charged 140 - it was Brookeae.com. charged  by a Chinese character site. I go to my bank.  They say that’s normal. 

This week I got a bracelet from China that can’t be worth more than 2 dollars that says “i love you”. 

I chalk it up as shame on my I was stupid. Please make sure you’re always on a secure site.

Sorry if double post. Make sure you buy from secure site

5 minutes ago, KnoxForPres said:
Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Useful 3
On 8/25/2019 at 4:59 PM, shapeshifter said:

Since the balloon discussion is still going on:
It both peeves and grieves me when I am walking on the beach and see deflated Mylar balloons declaring "Happy Birthday!" or "Congratulations!" or even "Happy Mothers Day!" because so often they wind up being swallowed by marine life.

Peeve: litter! I started taking gloves and a trash bag whenever I go out. I want to find a collapsible pick up stick. 

21 hours ago, bilgistic said:

No, we also sell not-yet-inflated balloons and charge for inflation. Although, come to think of it, the night manager brought in non-in-store-bought balloons for his son's birthday several weeks ago and I charged him for the inflation. He inflated the balloons himself. I don't actually know how to operate the helium tank.

It's pretty easy. Slide the balloon over the top and firmly push the tip to release the gas into the balloon. 

34 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh that pisses me off for a multitude of reasons but mostly due to the excess waste and footprint sending this garbage leaves. 

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes!  Thankfully I haven’t been jacked so much but yes!  Please be careful. Look for the lock sign when you input anything. 

Heck Ive pretty much told myself I’d use only credit cards and only known sites to order. I didn’t fight this because what do you do say I was an idiot and fell for a scam?

But they are so good!  Please make sure you buy from only reputable sites. I feel like an idiot but worse wish I had got my pops the shoes he wanted. I hate thieves. 

• Love 1

I received a call from "Chase Fraud Detection" yesterday. The number on my caller ID was the number on the back of my card. They had the last 4 of my card and wanted to "verify some spending that was outside my normal pattern".

I said I would call back and speak to someone in the fraud department and they got defensive stating they called from the number on the back of my card. I logged into my Chase account, didn't see anything unusual, called the 800#, they have no record of the call and said it was a scam.

This morning I logged in to look at my pending charges and yep, fraud. Super annoying.

I got a message from Hulu the other day that an unknown device was using my account. I wasn't too worried; for whatever reason, it happens from time to time even though it's just our TVs as usual. But this time, lo and behold, it was real. Sorry, "Andy's iPhone"--I hope you weren't too engrossed in whatever it was you'd been watching. I'm madder about having to change my password than I am that I "helped" someone watch TV shows.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

It's pretty easy. Slide the balloon over the top and firmly push the tip to release the gas into the balloon. 

Yep, I had a helium tank in my flower shop. Just remember to take it slow, those things make a hell of a BANG when they are over filled and explode.

• LOL 3

Years ago I know we had a long set of posts about service animals and some people's abusive use of emotional support (as opposed to service) animals.  I enjoyed this article:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/8/30/20838400/mini-horse-service-animal-policy-advocacy

And BTW here is the blind guide horse user on emotional support animals:

Recently, the US government has made it clear that service horses are allowed on planes. You’re a pioneer in this, so does it feel nice to see that airlines are clarifying that mini horses are allowed to fly?

Yes, yes it does. I just hope that they make sure that it’s a service horse, and not an emotional support animal, because people can abuse that. I’ve had friends who’ve said, ‘I’m going to take my dog and put a vest on it and say it’s a service dog.’ And I’m like, ‘No, no you’re not; you’re not screwing it up for me. I worked way too hard to do this.’ Taking a horse on a plane — you wouldn’t do this unless it was absolutely necessary.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 5

Unexpected fireworks are my peeve of the day.  Particularly in light of the random shootings going on all over the country, and that I was mass-shooting adjacent a few years back (I was never in any real danger, as it was several buildings away, but I know people who were).  Planned fireworks displays are not a problem, just the unexpected ones.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Recently, the US government has made it clear that service horses are allowed on planes. 

I don't care how miniature the horse is, I don't want to sit next to a horse on a plane. The airlines need to get a grip and only allow bonafide service dogs (with certificates to prove it).

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't care how miniature the horse is, I don't want to sit next to a horse on a plane. The airlines need to get a grip and only allow bonafide service dogs (with certificates to prove it).

And now I really wish I'd snapped a picture of a dog wearing a jacket(?) printed with "Service Dog In Training" in a doctor's waiting room. I'm sure it really was being trained to patiently, quietly, and unobtrusively wait in such a situation. I arrived early for a long appointment, and the dog was there with its trainer before I arrived and after I left.

But the dog was huge. It seemed to be a cross between a poodle and a Great Dane and/or some equally large breed —having the hypoallergenic poodle (white) hair, but not only being taller than a Standard Poodle, but having a massive head and enormous paws. 

It would require 3 seats on an airplane, and even that would be a squish. I wanted to know how it would be used, but didn't want to be obnoxious and ask.

Anyway, it was at least as big as a miniature horse.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Unexpected fireworks are my peeve of the day.  Particularly in light of the random shootings going on all over the country, and that I was mass-shooting adjacent a few years back (I was never in any real danger, as it was several buildings away, but I know people who were).  Planned fireworks displays are not a problem, just the unexpected ones.

We've all got PTSD. USA! USA!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

So you're saying airlines need to disregard the ADA and ban a recognized service animal from the plane? https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

image.thumb.png.81c4b9f68df0066d414e364f06018215.png

Here's a link from the DOT about this

With respect to animal species, we indicated that we would focus our enforcement efforts on ensuring that the most commonly used service animals (dogs, cats, and miniature horses) are accepted for transport as service animals.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't care how miniature the horse is, I don't want to sit next to a horse on a plane. ...

I'd rather sit next to a horse on a plane (or anywhere else) than a child -- even an apparently well-behaved child, because you never know when they might go off.  In fact, I'd rather sit next to any kind of critter than a child, except for spiders (unless they're securely caged) and preachers.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And now I really wish I'd snapped a picture of a dog wearing a jacket(?) printed with "Service Dog In Training" in a doctor's waiting room. I'm sure it really was being trained to patiently, quietly, and unobtrusively wait in such a situation. I arrived early for a long appointment, and the dog was there with its trainer before I arrived and after I left.

But the dog was huge. It seemed to be a cross between a poodle and a Great Dane and/or some equally large breed —having the hypoallergenic poodle (white) hair, but not only being taller than a Standard Poodle, but having a massive head and enormous paws. 

It would require 3 seats on an airplane, and even that would be a squish. I wanted to know how it would be used, but didn't want to be obnoxious and ask.

Anyway, it was at least as big as a miniature horse.

Some service dogs stand and brace while their person gets up or leans on them, depending on what's needed, so they need to be good-sized and sturdy.  Large (or extra-large) service dogs are also used in the care of children with autism - https://www.autismanchoringdogs.org/why-giant-dog-breeds/ .

I'd pay a reasonable upgrade fee to be able to sit next to the mini horse on a plane. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Even planned fireworks can be a problem. I was working in a tall building near a baseball stadium in San Francisco shortly after 9/11. They had planned fireworks & a display by the Blue Angels for opening day which was all well advertised, but let me tell you, when the fireworks started shooting off & everybody looked up & saw planes flying at us, pretty much everybody (including me) hit the floor in terror. I don't think one person thought of the baseball stadium.

• Love 1

Stupid Optimum is down for two days because of "scheduled maintenance." This includes e-mail. Did the crooks bother to tell customers in advance via e-mail? No. Surely anyone who works as a freelancer might need to know something like that.

5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

So you're saying airlines need to disregard the ADA and ban a recognized service animal from the plane? https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

image.thumb.png.81c4b9f68df0066d414e364f06018215.png

Here's a link from the DOT about this

No, I'm not saying airlines need to disregard the ADA. The airlines always cooperated back when service animals were trained dogs...the type of dogs that were large enough to do chores for their owner (unlike the tiny dogs I saw at the gate prior to my last flight, wearing "service animal" coats).  Also, I certainly never heard of any incidents back then when the service dogs attacked nearby passengers, which has happened in the past few years.

• Love 3

I was at a dinner party tonight and suddenly realized I have a new (?) peeve. 

It’s people who slam down their hands down on the counter to make sure that their point is noted. Especially when they are wearing jewelry because it makes a shriller noise.  It just got so loud and competitive that the enjoyment of sharing a conversation was no longer fun. At least 5 folks were doing it and I suddenly needed to go outside to look at the at the stars. 

• Love 11
13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It’s people who slam down their hands down on the counter to make sure that their point is noted. Especially when they are wearing jewelry because it makes a shriller noise.  It just got so loud and competitive that the enjoyment of sharing a conversation was no longer fun. At least 5 folks were doing it and I suddenly needed to go outside to look at the at the stars. 

There used to be a woman in our coffee group who would hit her empty coffee (paper) cup on the table over and over and over, ad nauseum, while she was talking.  Thank God she left the group cause the jarring noise made by the cup was going through me like a razor.  There's a name for stuff like this: misophrenia (I think).  @Mindthinkr...I'm not saying that's what your situation was with the hands slamming the table (awful for anyone to hear!)  But it's mine (the cup noise, certain types of whistling, digital clocks softly ch-ch-ch-ing, etc).

• Love 4
22 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

So you're saying airlines need to disregard the ADA and ban a recognized service animal from the plane?

I have a lifelong aversion to horses and if I was ever forced to be near one, I'd be running screaming for the exits.  Just thinking about the possibility of being near a horse on a plane is, as I type this, causing me massive anxiety, even though I rarely fly.  (Don't get me wrong; I don't want anything bad to happen to horses--I just can't go near one.)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

I have a lifelong aversion to horses and if I was ever forced to be near one, I'd be running screaming for the exits.  Just thinking about the possibility of being near a horse on a plane is, as I type this, causing me massive anxiety, even though I rarely fly.  (Don't get me wrong; I don't want anything bad to happen to horses--I just can't go near one.)

There are also people who are terrified of dogs, who might have the same reaction to having a service dog on the same flight, but I think the need of the person with a service animal outweighs the possibility of a passenger having a phobia or extreme anxiety about a service animal. I no longer fly at all, but would have no problem with any service animal. But if somehow I did need to fly and another passenger had a snake as an emotional support pet? Hell to the no. I had to take Xanax just to watch Snakes on a Plane

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

There are also people with dog and cat phobias.  In addition, there are those that are allergic to one or both, and if combined with asthma, can actually be quite dangerous.  The airline will do its best to rebook you on a later flight that day with no animals on it in these cases.

• Love 3

The only thought i had about a support horse or large dog, was is it trained to control bowel movements.

Because I've smelled what a 200LB animal's poop smelled like in a house.  If something like that happened on a plane it would trigger an emergency landing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1