Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Last week, I ordered four items from Amazon, all at one time, all with next-day shipping.  They split up my order.  This guy brought me part of the order in the morning, and then the same poor guy had to come back to bring me the rest of it a few hours later.  I felt guilty like the man probably thought I was some sort of idiot who hits the send button after each item. 

Last Christmas, I ordered some of my gifts to others from Barnes & Noble.  I think there were several books, a DVD and maybe a CD or two.  All ordered at the same time (I had a coupon so I made sure I ordered everything at once in order to take advantage of the discount).  I think that over the next couple of weeks, I got five different shipments before I got everything.  I asked my brother about it (he works for a national retail company and knows how the warehouses and shipping process works).  He said that even though I ordered all at the same time from the same place, a couple of items were probably  retrieved from one warehouse and shipped, and then another item or two was sent from an entirely different warehouse.  Maybe it was the same type of thing.  Anyway, I learned something new that day.  Although he did tell me about how items are retrieved and packed when you have a variety of seemingly-unrelated types of merchandise that are all coming from the same huge warehouse.  It was interesting to hear how it all gets sorted out, sent via conveyor belts and packed. (I've always been fascinated by automation and anything on a conveyor belt, which is why I like to watch 'How it's made', I guess). 

1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

He said that even though I ordered all at the same time from the same place, a couple of items were probably  retrieved from one warehouse and shipped, and then another item or two was sent from an entirely different warehouse.  Maybe it was the same type of thing. 

You know, I get that, but in the end, it was the same Amazon delivery truck and the same driver who brought my stuff, so both halves of my order eventually had to have terminated in one place.  I didn't need part of the order in the morning that badly that they couldn't have pooled the orders when they arrived at the local distribution center and put them on the delivery route for the afternoon.

I feel bad enough as it is after watching John Oliver's piece on Amazon and how they expect impossible standards from their warehouse workers.  It must be even harder now that Amazon's pushing next day and even same day delivery.  I really don't need next day delivery on most things, but the only other option is usually a week or ten days later, which is longer out than I want to go.   

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

You know, I get that, but in the end, it was the same Amazon delivery truck and the same driver who brought my stuff, so both halves of my order eventually had to have terminated in one place.  I didn't need part of the order in the morning that badly that they couldn't have pooled the orders when they arrived at the local distribution center and put them on the delivery route for the afternoon.

I feel bad enough as it is after watching John Oliver's piece on Amazon and how they expect impossible standards from their warehouse workers.  It must be even harder now that Amazon's pushing next day and even same day delivery.  I really don't need next day delivery on most things, but the only other option is usually a week or ten days later, which is longer out than I want to go.   

Oh my gosh - me too!!!! 

Between John Oliver’s “exposé” and then having to choose either one day or 10 day delivery, I am really struggling with both Amazon and my conscience at the moment. Thank you for articulating so eloquently what I have been bothered by for the last few months!

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I feel bad enough as it is after watching John Oliver's piece on Amazon and how they expect impossible standards from their warehouse workers. 

I didn't see it, but I'm sure it exposed why I've kept my Amazon ordering to a minimum for many years - if I can't find what I want anywhere else in the time I want it, I give myself a pass, but I can't stretch my "it's such a good price, so convenient, and I procrastinated so 'need' it now" privilege beyond that.  Amazon is pretty average among corporate America for how it treats those higher on the food chain, but its treatment of warehouse workers is not something I can regularly support (or something I should ever support, and I freely accept all calling out of that hypocrisy - including the fact that every Thanksgiving "the cats" use my credit card to give a friend who uses Amazon almost as frequently as I use my toothbrush a gift certificate for taking care of them).

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Bridget said:

Oh my gosh - me too!!!! 

Between John Oliver’s “exposé” and then having to choose either one day or 10 day delivery, I am really struggling with both Amazon and my conscience at the moment. Thank you for articulating so eloquently what I have been bothered by for the last few months!

On a really hot Sunday last August we were sitting around talking before dinner so it must have been six or seven in the evening. We watched this poor guy pull up and trudge up our driveway with a package I'd ordered. It was some small thing like a candle or some make up, something I easily could have waited for. I remarked to my son "This is what it must have been like just before they wheeled the Guillotines into downtown Paris,"

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 9/26/2019 at 10:54 PM, BooksRule said:

I asked my brother about it (he works for a national retail company and knows how the warehouses and shipping process works).  He said that even though I ordered all at the same time from the same place, a couple of items were probably  retrieved from one warehouse and shipped, and then another item or two was sent from an entirely different warehouse.

On 9/27/2019 at 12:40 AM, meowmommy said:

I work in eCommerce and customers complain about multiple shipments (only one shipping charge) all!the!time! Your packages could have been part of two batches, one for the AM run and one for the PM run. Software automation is typically batching for delivery and as we all know, automation logic often isn't logical.

I took a tour of our distribution center and it's fascinating watching how everything works and how efficient it is. We treat our employees way better than Amazon, too and have minimal turnover.

20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

On a really hot Sunday last August we were sitting around talking before dinner so it must have been six or seven in the evening. We watched this poor guy pull up and trudge up our driveway with a package I'd ordered. It was some small thing like a candle or some make up, something I easily could have waited for. I remarked to my son "This is what it must have been like just before they wheeled the Guillotines into downtown Paris,"

I had a similar moment and ever since then I think twice before ordering a single, random item I don't necessarily need or need right away. 

I started ramping up my ordering on Target.com (5% off and free 2-day shipping with their red card, debit or credit). Their 2-day shipping is actually two day instead of Amazon's 2-day but it's really 3 or 4. Has anyone used Boxed? 

At this point the only reason I have Prime is because my parents pay for it (I order for them for delivery at their home). They are elderly, my dad is having trouble getting around and Prime makes my mom's life easier.

And my actual peeve that I came here to post is I waited way too long to drink some Crystal Pepsi I had been saving and the bottles lost all their carbonation. My peeve is my desire to save these things and losing out.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I started ramping up my ordering on Target.com (5% off and free 2-day shipping with their red card, debit or credit). Their 2-day shipping is actually two day instead of Amazon's 2-day but it's really 3 or 4.

The last time I ordered from Target, 2 day shipping took 12 days.  I was not a happy camper.  They didn't give a shit when I complained, either.

OK, if a traveler has ALREADY been cleared by the Border Patrol and Customs, why do so many airports insist they STILL have to go through TSA and have everything taken  off and scanned all over again before making a connecting flight? I mean, if  the folks at the original airport as well as Border Patrol and Customs have already considered a traveller to be perfectly fine for flying within the US, why not just let the traveler go through a special corridor to their terminal and bypass TSA?

• Love 3

The only time I buy stuff from Amazon (other than ebooks) is when I need boxes and packing material.  So I'll buy from Prime Pantry when I'm cleaning out my house and packing up to donate to charity.  And I feel bad about it.  But I do it anyway.

If I'm doing regular shopping, I like to see what I'm buying. If I can't find it in a store, I'll buy it online from a place that has a storefront so there an actual store I can return it to.  In my head, returning items to Amazon is an inconvenience versus an actual store.  I doubt that is true, but give the stories about how they treat workers, its probably better if I lie to myself.

After all, my diet was much better for that decade that I convinced myself that fast food places didn't take credit cards and I never had cash on me.  Was it true?  I doubt it, but there are things I'm better off not letting myself know the truth about.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

The last time I ordered from Target, 2 day shipping took 12 days.  I was not a happy camper.  They didn't give a shit when I complained, either.

That must have been frustrating. Did UPS (or FedEx) send it on an adventure or did Target take forever to ship?

Edited by theredhead77
32 minutes ago, Blergh said:

OK, if a traveler has ALREADY been cleared by the Border Patrol and Customs, why do so many airports insist they STILL have to go through TSA and have everything taken  off and scanned all over again before making a connecting flight? I mean, if  the folks at the original airport as well as Border Patrol and Customs have already considered a traveller to be perfectly fine for flying within the US, why not just let the traveler go through a special corridor to their terminal and bypass TSA?

My friend (we) are TSA pre-approved. He was going through Kennedy airport in NYC last night at 8 pm (busy place) and they had already shut down the TSA lines earlier. His ticket even reads Pre-Approved. Nope. He still had to go through the regular lines, take off his shoes, watch, etc and just barely made his flight. Of note. He wasn’t late, but had a connection with LaGuardia which meant he had to get his bags and get into a car (provided by the airline) and drive the 45 minutes to JFK. He was even business class for an overseas flight. Oh joy. I’m taking the same route next month. 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

That must have been frustrating. Did UPS (or FedEx) send it on an adventure or did Target take forever to ship?

They kept changing the dates so it was impossible to track, and then they finally admitted they lost the order and had to restart it.  They offered me nothing for the inconvenience, unlike Walmart, which usually offers cash back, or Amazon, which offers to extend Prime membership.

It was a Christmas tree.  Thank dog I had ordered it a few weeks in advance. 

I used to own Target stock but I sold it all when I needed money for a sick kitty (another peeve--vet bills!), which of course (another peeve--my utter inability to time the market) was when Target stock had just had a precipitous drop.  No desire to buy any more.  

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

They kept changing the dates so it was impossible to track, and then they finally admitted they lost the order and had to restart it.  They offered me nothing for the inconvenience, unlike Walmart, which usually offers cash back, or Amazon, which offers to extend Prime membership.

It's so frustrating when UPS sends packages on adventures. I just had a customer email me that they were missing one of 8 boxes. The missing box had a delivery date the same as the other 7 but somehow UPS lost it.

Amazon hasn't offered free Prime in a looooong time. At most they offer a $5 credit. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Amazon hasn't offered free Prime in a looooong time. At most they offer a $5 credit. 

Last time I got it was about a year and a half ago.  They never offer me anything until I request the free month, and then they say ok.  But they've gotten better with their on-time deliveries, so haven't had to ask.

Last time Wally World flubbed up, I got a $10 credit.  

Edited by meowmommy
12 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I asked the last time I had a severe delay and they said they discontinued free Prime and only offer a $5 credit now.

Good to know.  I do know they also throw me a $5 credit every time I'm on their chat complaining about something, like how much of a PITA transferring my electronic library to my new Amazon Fire tablet was or them messing with the billing for my Washington Post account.  I've gotten a few of those.

Sometimes I feel bad about taking their money, but I think Jeff B. can absorb the loss.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 1

This is the epitome of a first-world problem, but I hate it when I've just thought of a question about something, and the website with the answer is down. It's not like I even need the information right away, but I thought of it now, and I want to know now.

We are tentatively planning a cookout for our Cub Scouts. We have a new Scout, who I think is probably Muslim, although I'm not positive. His father earned degrees in Istanbul, and we're just guessing because I haven't thought of a polite way to ask that question. (When we notify parents about the cookout, we'll be asking about food allergies and dietary restrictions, but for now, we don't know.) So just in case, I'm trying to find out what brands of beef hot dogs or brats he would be able to eat (assuming he's not vegetarian). The brand I know best for brats is Johnsonville, and the website is down apparently.

I don't need to know for another month, but I thought of it now, so I want to know now. I'm not a very waitable person.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, auntlada said:

This is the epitome of a first-world problem, but I hate it when I've just thought of a question about something, and the website with the answer is down. It's not like I even need the information right away, but I thought of it now, and I want to know now.

It's hard to believe that less than 30 years ago we had no way to get instantaneous answers.  I kind of miss those days in a way.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, auntlada said:

We are tentatively planning a cookout for our Cub Scouts. We have a new Scout, who I think is probably Muslim, although I'm not positive. His father earned degrees in Istanbul, and we're just guessing because I haven't thought of a polite way to ask that question. (When we notify parents about the cookout, we'll be asking about food allergies and dietary restrictions, but for now, we don't know.) So just in case, I'm trying to find out what brands of beef hot dogs or brats he would be able to eat (assuming he's not vegetarian). The brand I know best for brats is Johnsonville, and the website is down apparently.

I don't need to know for another month, but I thought of it now, so I want to know now. I'm not a very waitable person.

The family will likely mention their if they’re Halal when you ask generally about dietary restrictions.  At least people typically will mention religious observances when asked.   

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

It's hard to believe that less than 30 years ago we had no way to get instantaneous answers.  I kind of miss those days in a way.

You could have called, as you still could today, the public library.  I gave instantaneous answers to information questions for many many years. In fact until about a year and a half ago.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

When I was in my twenties, I could win an argument with a lie!

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

Oh, balls.

Discovered this morning that my refrigerator door had been ajar all night. There goes the fresh chicken, hamburger and Italian sausage I just bought yesterday, plus my leftovers, milk, cheese, eggs, mayo and the creamy salad dressings. Butter was melted.

Everything out! Not taking any chances with possible stomach poisoning and a couple of days toilet duty.

For some reason the inside of the fridge was a lot warmer than room temperature. Maybe because the condenser was running but no cooling?

Dear Sir, Madam or Co-Worker:

If you should ever see me walking down the street with headphones on, either nod or say hello....then keep it frickin' moving!

I hate when people get in your face and want to talk when they know perfectly well you're listening to something!  Some woman was walking right next to me the other day (my underwear is black heiffa, you're too damned close!), wanting to ask a question.

First of all, I don't like strangers walking so close to me.  Second, there are other walkers around that you could have asked!  And then people get offended when I rudely inquire what they want, since they obviously don't see the blue headphones hanging from my damned ears!!

Edited by Vixenstud
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

What's with (some) elderly women who love to chat up the cashier or sample person?  A woman who appeared to be close to 80 (or older) spent 10 minutes (!!!) speaking with an alternative pizza crust (i.e. keto-friendly) lady asking about not just the crusts themselves (e.g. "what's keto?"), but random topics.  She wouldn't let other people ask the sample person about the crusts (or someone like me, who has HAD the crust before, but wanted to know if there were any new products).  I think she was completely oblivious to the rest of the line.  And then LATER, that same woman was ahead of me at the check-out and, once again, was having a conversation.  I don't remember what she was talking about, but I really needed to get out of there and wanted to pay.  UGH

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, PRgal said:

What's with (some) elderly women who love to chat up the cashier or sample person?  A woman who appeared to be close to 80 (or older) spent 10 minutes (!!!) speaking with an alternative pizza crust (i.e. keto-friendly) lady asking about not just the crusts themselves (e.g. "what's keto?"), but random topics.  She wouldn't let other people ask the sample person about the crusts (or someone like me, who has HAD the crust before, but wanted to know if there were any new products).  I think she was completely oblivious to the rest of the line.  And then LATER, that same woman was ahead of me at the check-out and, once again, was having a conversation.  I don't remember what she was talking about, but I really needed to get out of there and wanted to pay.  UGH

Lonely.  Sometimes that's all the human interaction they get.  Although, yes, it's annoying.  

• Love 6

Yeah, some people are just like that, due to very-limited social interaction, and that's statistically more likely to occur with an elderly woman (retired/never worked outside the home, husband is dead, kids and grandkids live elsewhere, friends have died off/been moved into assisted living, etc.). 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, PRgal said:

Loneliness and isolation. People can go days, or weeks (if they don't leave the house) without social interaction due to lack of family, friends or activities outside the home. It's more common in the elderly population but if you look you'll see it in people of all ages. Sometimes running an errand or going to work is the only interpersonal interaction a person may have.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Loneliness and isolation. People can go days, or weeks (if they don't leave the house) without social interaction due to lack of family, friends or activities outside the home. It's more common in the elderly population but if you look you'll see it in people of all ages. Sometimes running an errand or going to work is the only interpersonal interaction a person may have.

Five years ago, I was working from home, and the only contact I had with a human being was my (brief) chat with the cashier when I went grocery shopping every two weeks.  That little contact kept me sane.

• Love 9

I have a coworker who quite often starts talking in a baby voice in the middle of a conversation.  Someone asked her where she went for lunch.  She said (in normal voice),"I went to Wendy's."  Then said (in annoying baby voice),"I had a hamburger."  She's in her mid-50's so way too old for it to be cute (if that kind of thing is ever cute).

Mr. Angeltoes likes to watch TV with the remote in his hand like a security blanket.  He changes the channel every commercial, or when someone on TV says something which he deems stupid.  This means the channel is constantly changing changing changing.  We rarely watch TV together because I got tired of saying,"Damn it, I wanted to watch that."

Edited by Angeltoes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
36 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I have a coworker who quite often starts talking in a baby voice in the middle of a conversation.  Someone asked her where she went for lunch.  She said (in normal voice),"I went to Wendy's."  Then said (in annoying baby voice),"I had a hamburger."  She's in her mid-50's so way too old for it to be cute (if that kind of thing is ever cute).

Mr. Angeltoes likes to watch TV with the remote in his hand like a security blanket.  He changes the channel every commercial, or when someone on TV says something which he deems stupid.  This means the channel is constantly changing changing changing.  We rarely watch TV together because I got tired of saying,"Damn it, I wanted to watch that."

Oh boy...that co-worker sounds awful. Switching to a baby voice is creepy--even if she were a teenager!

What is it with males and remotes? Now, clutching it in their hands is something they've done since toddler days (I noticed our grandson *always* holding some small toy). But, why the need to change channels so much? Just hit the mute button during commercials...sooo easy to do. Men truly are from Mars (as we say in Venus ☺)

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

Baby voices are annoying, period.  It’s not uncommon for some East Asian women (mostly millennials, some Gen X who grew up in Asia) to talk that.  It’s their version of Valley Speak/up-talk.  Neither way is good if you want to be taken seriously. 

• Love 1
On 10/6/2019 at 2:38 PM, annzeepark914 said:

But, why the need to change channels so much? Just hit the mute button during commercials...sooo easy to do.

If I'm sitting and watching (rather than having TV on to listen to while I'm doing something else), I always change channels during commercial breaks; I initially go around the dial to see what else is on in the time slot, and during subsequent breaks I flip through those channels, hoping at least one of them is not also airing commercials at the time.  I like when there's a movie or episode I've seen countless times on to watch a couple minutes of during commercial breaks.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

There is a difference between marking something up to make a profit and price gouging.

I took my car to the mechanic and they wanted a ridiculous amount of money to fix something common that is in no way related to the car actually running.  I balked and had my brother look at it.  Conclusion: the mechanic was marking up the price of the part by close to 2000%.  And no, I didn't mistakenly add an extra zero. Plus, if the time my brother thinks it will take to fix it is right, they are billing out each full time employee at 1.5 million per year.

I'm halfway thinking about taking my car around for a bunch of mechanics for repair estimates to find the one that is least crooked before my brother makes his temporary fix permanent.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What is it with males and remotes? Now, clutching it in their hands is something they've done since toddler days (I noticed our grandson *always* holding some small toy). 

You are using "remote" as a euphemism, right?

• LOL 9

The term "can I get" really does my head in, chiefly because the person in question isn't really getting anything; its the person on the other side of the counter that will be doing that!

• Love 3
16 hours ago, PRgal said:

Baby voices are annoying, period.  It’s not uncommon for some East Asian women (mostly millennials, some Gen X who grew up in Asia) to talk that.  It’s their version of Valley Speak/up-talk.  Neither way is good if you want to be taken seriously. 

The most infamous baby-voicer is undoubtably Paris Hilton. She’s now pushing 40 and STILL using that ridiculously vocal-fried baby voice, even though most of us know she actually has a very deep, husky voice when she’s not “on.” I find it pretty creepy overall yet I still hate-follow her on Instagram because her life is so insane; my favorite is when her sister Nikki rolls her eyes at her on IG stories and will make amusingly cutting comments like, “I’m not talking to you like that, use your real voice!”

Sad to witness because it’d be nice to see her finally evolve her brand a bit and leave that baby-voiced Princess shtick back in the early aught’s where it belongs. It certainly doesn’t make her look any smarter or more sophisticated and I guarantee that weird voice switch is one of many reasons why she can’t seem to have a stable and healthy long term relationship with a man; that might’ve worked for her once, but after age 23 or so it just sounds really stupid.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

If I'm sitting and watching (rather than having TV on to listen to while I'm doing something else), I always change channels during commercial breaks;

That's why I record everything, I only watch stuff through my TiVO (or streaming).  There are some streaming services like Hulu where you have to watch ads, I mute during them. My husband hates ads so much he paid extra to get CBS All Access without commercials.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2019 at 6:40 PM, PRgal said:

A woman who appeared to be close to 80 (or older) spent 10 minutes (!!!) speaking with an alternative pizza crust (i.e. keto-friendly) lady asking about not just the crusts themselves (e.g. "what's keto?"), but random topics.  She wouldn't let other people ask the sample person about the crusts

It's not just the elderly, I have to deal with this at every wine/food sampling event I go to. There's a big Wine & Food show held in the Northern NY every spring, over a hundred vendors of wine and food. I will always be stuck behind someone who thinks the vendor is just there for him/ her, trying to have an in-depth conversation about the grapes used or some other obscure thing, while the rest of us wait for our turn to take a sample. ARGH! And don't get me started on the parents that bring their double strollers and block an entire booth while they sample! 

19 hours ago, PRgal said:

Baby voices are annoying, period.

My sister-in-law uses a baby voice to not only talk TO her dog, but to also talk ABOUT her dog. "My wittle poochy-woochy went wee-wee on the cawpet wast night..." WTH? 

• Love 2

Their is NOT the same as THEY'RE, as in "THEY ARE" which is what they mean.

Your is NOT the same as YOU'RE as in "YOU ARE" as in "you're right." "you are right." NOT "your right."

To is NOT the same as "TOO" as in I hate the "text-speak" in emails too. As in also.

giphy.gif

• Love 9
1 hour ago, BexKeps said:

It's not just the elderly, I have to deal with this at every wine/food sampling event I go to. There's a big Wine & Food show held in the Northern NY every spring, over a hundred vendors of wine and food. I will always be stuck behind someone who thinks the vendor is just there for him/ her, trying to have an in-depth conversation about the grapes used or some other obscure thing, while the rest of us wait for our turn to take a sample. ARGH! And don't get me started on the parents that bring their double strollers and block an entire booth while they sample! 

My sister-in-law uses a baby voice to not only talk TO her dog, but to also talk ABOUT her dog. "My wittle poochy-woochy went wee-wee on the cawpet wast night..." WTH? 

*hork*

4 hours ago, ALenore said:

That's why I record everything, I only watch stuff through my TiVO (or streaming).  There are some streaming services like Hulu where you have to watch ads, I mute during them. My husband hates ads so much he paid extra to get CBS All Access without commercials.

Yes, my DVR has spoiled me, because I ff through all commercials.  I got a 1 year Hulu deal which expires next month, and I have to move the remote while watching so I don't automatically reach for it to ff through their annoying ads.  I have to keep reminding myself that for 99 cents a month, it is worth the annoyance, but, still ...

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Yes, my DVR has spoiled me, because I ff through all commercials.  I got a 1 year Hulu deal which expires next month, and I have to move the remote while watching so I don't automatically reach for it to ff through their annoying ads.  I have to keep reminding myself that for 99 cents a month, it is worth the annoyance, but, still ...

I do the same thing.  I have a friend who watches the commercials and I just didn't get it.  However, she's the one that told me about GoodRX, a company that discounts drugs.  It saved me close to $200 on cataract eye drops.  So now I don't hassle her at all and am grateful to those who do watch them. 

• Love 4

I have to shake my head a little when people complain that a network or streamer did "no advertising" for [X] new show and they never heard a word about it.

Well. They also probably use ad blockers online, FF through commercials on recorded shows, mute or minimize unskippable ads on demand, etc. Not sure where they were expecting to have new series presented to them on a silver platter.

Also, why not put in a minimum of effort to educate themselves? I spend 15 minutes a week at Metacritic's page of premiere dates, research new shows if needed, and calendar which ones I want to check out. (In "turning into my grandmother' news, pretty much like she used to do when circling her shows in the TV Guide!)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AnnaCody said:

I do the same thing.  I have a friend who watches the commercials and I just didn't get it.  However, she's the one that told me about GoodRX, a company that discounts drugs.  It saved me close to $200 on cataract eye drops.  So now I don't hassle her at all and am grateful to those who do watch them. 

Ah, yes, the trade-off is sometimes missing something useful.  I always miss out on promos for new shows, so I have to rely on my peeps here to clue me in to what's coming up that might be worthwhile.

11 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I have to shake my head a little when people complain that a network or streamer did "no advertising" for [X] new show and they never heard a word about it.

Well. They also probably use ad blockers online, FF through commercials on recorded shows, mute or minimize unskippable ads on demand, etc. Not sure where they were expecting to have new series presented to them on a silver platter.

Also, why not put in a minimum of effort to educate themselves? I spend 15 minutes a week at Metacritic's page of premiere dates, research new shows if needed, and calendar which ones I want to check out. (In "turning into my grandmother' news, pretty much like she used to do when circling her shows in the TV Guide!)

I admire your diligence (and patience!).  Since you're doing all this research already, maybe you could share with a "peep"?   heh   ;~)

I'm like your granny with the TV Guide, except with juggling multiple recordings on my DVR.   I'm always sorting out recording"conflicts" by scheduling shows at a later time, etc. (because some nights, 3 or 4 of my shows air at the same time).  Why, yes, I DO watch too much TeeVee.  What's it to ya?!   ;~)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, 2727 said:

They also probably use ad blockers online, FF through commercials on recorded shows, mute or minimize unskippable ads on demand, etc.

I'm one of those people who does all of that.  I take a lot of surveys, and they're always asking me if I've seen this or that ad, and I always say nope, haven't seen a damn thing.

4 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I always miss out on promos for new shows

There are shows that have been on for years whose existence I know nothing about.  

2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I got a 1 year Hulu deal which expires next month, and I have to move the remote while watching so I don't automatically reach for it to ff through their annoying ads. 

I thought Hulu offered a premium option to opt out of ads?

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I thought Hulu offered a premium option to opt out of ads?

Sure.  But the only reason I even signed up for their Cyber Monday deal last year was that I figured I could afford 99 cents a month - opting out is for peeps with a disposable income!   ;~)

• Love 1