Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

While I like some of the changes that have happened at Whole (Paycheck) Foods since Amazon bought it, there are some really annoying ones, too. I don't shop there a lot, but there is one near my office and I used to like the salad bar and take way foods area. Now they have changed up the containers so they totally stick together (it would be amusing to watch people fight to separate a box to build a salad if I wasn't one of those people) and they have fold down tops instead of a separate top. When you go to shake the box to mix up your salad, smaller pieces fly out of the gaps in the folds, which I learned the hard way. And today, they had a whole barbecue section, with no barbecue sauce. Sausage, smoked brisket and chicken, with no sauce. I even asked the counter lady if they were bringing some out and she said they were out. Who serves barbecue without barbecue sauce?!? Monsters.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

OK, maybe I need to figure out all the quirks and buttons of this new cell I've gotten (which is NOT a Smartphone) but right now I'm frustrated that these calls usually wait exactly ONE 'ring' before automatically going to voice mail. Hello, when I'm in my workplace in the middle of important, I cannot instantly drop what I'm doing JUST to dash off to hear the latest pitch. I'd like the phone to at least give me four 'rings' before the voice mail deal (which I admit I'm not sure how or if it can be adjusted). 

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

OK, maybe I need to figure out all the quirks and buttons of this new cell I've gotten (which is NOT a Smartphone) but right now I'm frustrated that these calls usually wait exactly ONE 'ring' before automatically going to voice mail. Hello, when I'm in my workplace in the middle of important, I cannot instantly drop what I'm doing JUST to dash off to hear the latest pitch. I'd like the phone to at least give me four 'rings' before the voice mail deal (which I admit I'm not sure how or if it can be adjusted). 

If you call your cell phone number from a landline, and you get the menu for administrative options, that will give you a menu to set up how many rings before your phone goes to voice mail. I remember doing this not only for my first cell phone, which wasn't a smartphone or an android but also with my home landline phone, too.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Blergh said:

What kind of phone do you have?

Did this happen on your old phone?d

Have you tried a different ringtone?

Have you called your phone from another phone? It may be ringing more on the other end before it rings on your end?

I have a new peeve. I went to Costco and got a new kind of toilet paper. Not their Kirkland brand. Darn, even though it said that these are double rolls, the roll doesn’t even last 2 days. No, I do not use an excessive amount, but didn’t expect it to get used up so fast. Never again. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

You all could be right about my new phone, I'll see about checking it out!  Thanks for the suggestions! 

I may be the only person left who doesn't have a cell phone (smart or otherwise), but I do have an honest question:  don't these things come with a book of instructions? 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

I may be the only person left who doesn't have a cell phone (smart or otherwise), but I do have an honest question:  don't these things come with a book of instructions? 

Pretty much nothing comes with a book of instructions anymore, it's all on the internet.   The instruction manuals on the internet are sometimes (often) not very good.  I had to set up an answering machine for my landline the other day, and I couldn't understand the online manual at all.  My husband, though, was able to find out how to do it by googling the question and the name and model number of our phone. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

There are two of us!!!

2 hours ago, ALenore said:

Pretty much nothing comes with a book of instructions anymore, it's all on the internet.   The instruction manuals on the internet are sometimes (often) not very good.  I had to set up an answering machine for my landline the other day, and I couldn't understand the online manual at all.  My husband, though, was able to find out how to do it by googling the question and the name and model number of our phone. 

I still mourn the death of instruction manuals. 

A few weeks ago, I was experiencing internet connectivity issues, and the customer service rep I spoke with urged me to follow the troubleshooting guide ON THE INTERNET.  Yo, Sherlock - I just  told you I had no internet connection!  Grrrrr.

• LOL 7
  • Love 12
On 4/21/2019 at 1:35 PM, fairffaxx said:

The big brand Apple, Samsung etc still pack instruction booklets with their phones.  However, you are lucky to get a piece of paper with the cheap ones from Walmart

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

1. Finding typos or errors from cutting and pasting in months-old posts. 

2. People with driveways who park on the street even though the street is barely 2 lanes when both sides are clear.

3. Oversized vehicles. By which I mean anything bigger than standard sedan. When I become Ruler of the Universe, SUVs and trucks will be banned from Connecticut with precious few exceptions, most of which involve working conditions. 

Edited by ABay
See peeve #1...
  • Love 8

Folks who insist on jogging/running in the street in the traffic lane itself when there's not only a bike lane but also a sidewalk right next to them.  What's that all about?

• Love 11

My current pet peeve is not being able to find out if a movie is going to be on HBO until maybe a month before it's on. I don't see many movies in the theater, I don't buy or rent DVDs either, I usually just wait until they're on cable. But the only premium service I have is HBO.  If I know a movie is going to be on HBO, I'm perfectly happy to wait until they show it, but some movies go to Showtime or Starz.   If I know ahead of time this is the case,  I'll rent the DVD (or maybe try and get it from the library).    I'm sure that cable companies buy the rights to movies when, or shortly after they come out, so it should be possible to find who's going to show a particular movie. I try to Google it, but the only results I get are other people asking "When is _____ movie going to be  on HBO (or Showtime).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ABay said:

3. Oversized vehicles. By which I mean anything bigger than standard sedan. When I become Ruler on the Universe, SUVs and trucks will be banned from Connecticut with precious few exceptions, most of which involve working conditions. 

I'm trying to imagine a world with no SUVs in Connecticut. It sounds like something only L Ron Hubbard could think up.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

People who pull over in front of a bus stop (at any time really, but especially when they can clearly see in the rearview that the bus is coming) and block it, then run out to do whatever.  Extra credit if there are 1) obviously disabled people at the stop (wheelchairs, walkers, white canes/dogs) and 2) heavy rain, ice, giant snowdrifts.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 6

People not paying attention to their kids and then yelling at their kids when they act out for attention. I was at Target and a woman was on her phone, telling her kids (who were trying to help find the things they need) to shush and shut up because she was on the phone. The whole situation pissed me the fuck off and I felt so bad for the kids.

People who stop at a soft yellow light. I am aware that yellow is a warning and doesn't mean "speed up" but slamming on your brakes instead of proceeding through the light is dangerous. If you are going fast enough to slam on your brakes as you approach the intersection you were going fast enough to make it through the yellow that just turned yellow.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

Folks who insist on jogging/running in the street in the traffic lane itself when there's not only a bike lane but also a sidewalk right next to them.  What's that all about?

Actually, I can answer that.  Cement has less "give" to it than macadam so if I jog on the sidewalk for any distance my knees will really start to bother me.  So yeah, I'm one of those people who jogs in the street.  But I live in a development that has wide streets and very little traffic, so 99% of the time I'm not inconveniencing anyone.  On the rare cases where there's an issue, like someone parked in the street instead of their driveway, I'll just hop up on the sidewalk briefly so the oncoming driver doesn't have to move to the middle of the street to avoid me.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Rose Quartz said:

Actually, I can answer that.  Cement has less "give" to it than macadam so if I jog on the sidewalk for any distance my knees will really start to bother me.  So yeah, I'm one of those people who jogs in the street.  But I live in a development that has wide streets and very little traffic, so 99% of the time I'm not inconveniencing anyone.  On the rare cases where there's an issue, like someone parked in the street instead of their driveway, I'll just hop up on the sidewalk briefly so the oncoming driver doesn't have to move to the middle of the street to avoid me.

OK, somewhat fair enough. However ( regardless of the difference of the amount of impact on the knees ), I'm not sure that in itself is worth the risk of injuries, hospitalizations and death re  the chance of  unattentive drivers (chatting, looking at gadgets or just plain oblivious to others in the road,etc.)  smashing into oneself. If one has serious joint issues, IMO it would be far better to seek out the nearest grassy patch and just jog back and forth whatever distance one's personal goal would be. I hope this didn't hurt anyone's feelings but that's what I think on this issue.

• Love 3

It also doesn't explain the people who run on concrete roads instead of the sidewalks. I can think of one reason for that, however: dogs. If the fence comes up almost to the sidewalk, I'll walk on the road there unless I know the yard does not have a dog. If a car is coming, I will step up in the yard. The streets I walk on are all residential, though, and most don't have sidewalks anyway.

• Love 1

Drive up at banks. One lane contains ATM and chute for teller. The other lane just has the chute. You’re the first one there, and need the teller. Which one do you choose? 

Why go to the one that you’re blocking others from the ATM while you ask for this, that, and the other thing?😡 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Why do the drive up ATMs have instructions in braille?

Presumably because the blind customer could be sitting in the left rear passenger seat, behind the driver’s seat, and need to use the ATM. 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

Presumably because the blind customer could be sitting in the left rear passenger seat, behind the driver’s seat, and need to use the ATM. 

My guess was that they don't make two different kind of ATM's, one for cars and one for kiosks. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

My guess was that they don't make two different kind of ATM's, one for cars and one for kiosks. 

I’m not entirely sure. My experience is that drive-up ATMs are often shorter and wider than the ATMs in kiosk settings, such as malls, convenience stores, etc. In my neck of the woods, anyway, the drive-up ones have been reconfigured in the past 5-10 years to accept and scan cash or check deposits, and more or less instantly credit those scanned deposits to your account. OTOH, the ATMs in convenience stores and so forth are much more basic, limited to dispensing cash and account balances, at least the ones I have seen. Admittedly I don’t use ATMs much anymore as my banking app allows me to deposit the one paper check I receive each month by using my phone, and so I mostly hit the ATM to get cash to pay my yard guy. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

I’m not entirely sure. My experience is that drive-up ATMs are often shorter and wider than the ATMs in kiosk settings, such as malls, convenience stores, etc. In my neck of the woods, anyway, the drive-up ones have been reconfigured in the past 5-10 years to accept and scan cash or check deposits, and more or less instantly credit those scanned deposits to your account. OTOH, the ATMs in convenience stores and so forth are much more basic, limited to dispensing cash and account balances, at least the ones I have seen. Admittedly I don’t use ATMs much anymore as my banking app allows me to deposit the one paper check I receive each month by using my phone, and so I mostly hit the ATM to get cash to pay my yard guy. 

And what kind of vehicle are these ATMs made for? If I'm in an SUV, I sit much higher than the screen and keypad. If I'm in a sedan, I'm too low and can't pull close enough to the machine to use it without opening my car door and hanging off the seat. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

My experience is that drive-up ATMs are often shorter and wider than the ATMs in kiosk settings, such as malls, convenience stores, etc.

But the ATMs at the drive-up window of the bank are the same as the ATMs inside the lobby of the bank.  Those shady rando  bodega ATMs are a different breed of animal.  And way more likely to have skimmers and such.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

But the ATMs at the drive-up window of the bank are the same as the ATMs inside the lobby of the bank.  Those shady rando  bodega ATMs are a different breed of animal.  And way more likely to have skimmers and such.

As noted previously, I rarely use ATMs, but of the two closest bank branches I use, neither has an ATM in the lobby. What would be the point? The drive-up ATM is for customers who want to stay in their vehicles, and the lobby is for people who want or need to interact with a human teller, or need services not available via ATM. I have seen those generic ATMs, but there are also ATMs belonging to specific big banks in some stores. 

ETA: There are obviously regional differences in the way banks and ATMs are set up, along with differences depending on the size of the bank and the size of the city/town. I live in a large city in TX, and maybe it's just the part of town I'm in, but I don't think I've ever seen an ATM in a bank lobby here. Of course, the mindset here is often that everybody is expected to have a car, and that nobody wants to get out of the car if possible. I work for a very large bank (thank goodness not as a teller or anything that requires me to interact with external customers), but I don't go into any branch of my bank except under extraordinary circumstances (lost a debit card and need a new temporary card asap, opened up a new account in which I am my mother's representative payee for her SS benefits, and so could not open the account online, etc.). 

Edited by BookWoman56
1 hour ago, BookWoman56 said:

the lobby is for people who want or need to interact with a human teller, or need services not available via ATM. 

No, this is not true where I live, especially if you include the ATM only spaces that are used by anyone with a NYCE card. I've seen it in other large cities too, not just NYC.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

I used to walk up to the ATM at my bank's drive-through. It was designed for cars, but it was the only ATM, so I walked over from my office. It seemed silly to drive half a block to use the ATM. I could have gone inside, but then I would have had to write a check and talked to someone. I preferred to use my bank card. I always wished they had a walk-up ATM at the main bank, but since it was just across the alley, they probably thought it was unnecessary. And yes, I stood in the line of cars sometimes. Sometimes I stood on the curb next to the line of cars to avoid possibly getting run over, but that led to people just driving right past me to get to the ATM first. I don't know if they didn't see me or just thought I was hanging out next to the ATM.

I occasionally saw other people on foot using that ATM also.

• Love 2

Tipping!

I get the same takeaway order from a local restaurant about once a month; it's $43. Their credit card checkout terminal displays a screen for a tip that only has two options, 15% or 20%. Customers have to manually override that screen in order to complete the transaction, leaving no tip at all.

This all or none behavior annoys me every time. I'm sure the restaurant has the ability to program their danged terminals the way they want, including a screen that allows customers to enter a specific amount for the tip. 

I end up paying via credit card and then handing over the tip in cash, but in this restaurant the regular checkout cashier isn't even the person who packaged the takeout order. It's dumb from start to finish.

• Love 4

Huh. While there aren't any ATM in the lobby of my bank, or any of the banks in my area, or in DC, there are ATMs in the vestibule of the bank. You have to go through the doors to get to the lobby of the bank.

And when I was a teller? The banks I worked at? (I worked at two--one during college, because it was the only one that had a drive through that closed at 7, and the other during my mid-20s), walking up to the drive through OR the ATM was prohibited. Those lanes were for cars. And we had to turn away anyone (and I'm sorry to say this, and not directed at anyone here) stupid enough to think it was safe to walk up and try to conduct business that way. You just never knew if a car would be coming around the corner and could hit the person as they left, because there was a blind spot in some places. It's called a drive-through, not a walk up through.

I'll go see myself out now.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, palmaire said:

Tipping!

I get the same takeaway order from a local restaurant about once a month; it's $43. Their credit card checkout terminal displays a screen for a tip that only has two options, 15% or 20%. Customers have to manually override that screen in order to complete the transaction, leaving no tip at all.

I refuse to tip for takeout food. Tipping is supposed to be for the server, the person who takes your order, delivers your food, & takes care of what you need during your meal. I am not tipping somebody because they put my food in containers. It's no different than going to McDonalds or any other fast food restaurant, if I don't tip there, I'm not tipping for takeout. 

• Love 11
On 4/25/2019 at 10:54 AM, Moose135 said:

Why do the drive up ATMs have instructions in braille?

A friend and I were once having a silly discussion about this very thing that then inexplicably turned into an actual argument with our other friends over the adjacent topic of whether blind people could drive. We (me and first mentioned friend) were (drunk?) yelling that of course blind people could drive (in a "using one's arms and legs" sense) while our other friends told us we were so stupid! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, auntlada said:

I am in a small town. We do a lot of things here you can't do in other places. The drive-through does have an inside place where you can talk to the tellers.

In Salinas, Calif (birthplace and burial site of John Steinbeck), the annual rodeo is celebrated throughout Big Week, during which horses can legally be ridden through the downtown streets.  Years ago, I waited in my car at the end of a line for a bank's drive-through teller window behind a horse, whose rider was cashing his paycheck. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
On 4/21/2019 at 1:35 PM, fairffaxx said:

My phone has a help thing called Bixby. It pops up randomly when I do something to summon it.  I dont think I need or want it, but I'm not sure, since I dont know who or what Bixby is.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

It's like the modern-day version of that Word paperclip that wanted to help everyone write a letter!

I really want to know how MicroSoft managed to make a paperclip look skeevy, but damn I hated that thing!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 4/7/2019 at 11:18 PM, Brookside said:

Pet peeve: every time I blink there's a new change to PTV which makes things harder to navigate and track down.

This. Every change requires mental gymnastics and by time I figure out how to get to where I want to be, I’ve forgotten what I want to say. 

Edited by TimetoShine
Autocorrect was brutal with this one.
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

We're getting snow here, too. For comparison's sake, last Sunday it got to 83 degrees here. 

Iowa in the springtime. Ya gotta love it :p. 

Yep. In Illinois spring has started and stopped several times over.  After weeks of spring weather, 2 weeks ago we had a blizzard, 5 inches of snow. then we had warm weather, temps  in the 70s. Then today it snowed. And not just a little, it snowed all day, from noon until late evening. By Monday it will be spring again.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2019 at 3:33 PM, GaT said:

I refuse to tip for takeout food. Tipping is supposed to be for the server, the person who takes your order, delivers your food, & takes care of what you need during your meal. I am not tipping somebody because they put my food in containers. It's no different than going to McDonalds or any other fast food restaurant, if I don't tip there, I'm not tipping for takeout. 

At a full service restaurant it's often the servers who are making sure your order is placed and packaged correctly with necessary condiments / accessories. It's different than McDonald's but tipping for take-out, even 10% is still appropriate.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

At a full service restaurant it's often the servers who are making sure your order is placed and packaged correctly with necessary condiments / accessories. It's different than McDonald's but tipping for take-out, even 10% is still appropriate.

Yeah I tip at least 10% on takeout as well. 

My tipping pet peeve is the Jersey Mike type places that put the tip option when I run my card. To hit “no tip” makes me feel like a piece of shit as the cashier is staring at me but why should I have to tip there?  Or put a tip line on the receipt. My guilt is oddly less on that method (though still have a twinge).

Another peeve is cutely named food. As an example, when I worked at Chili’s as a server in college we had the Mombo Combo (today called the triple dipper). What a horrific name!  Look I wish i was the type of person who found what I’m saying absurd. But I was born with a (hopefully recessive) gene where ordering cheesy and/or stupid named items embarrasses me.

Ive had years of foreign languages and am confident in pronunciation. But if I’m at Starbucks its a large black coffee. The workers never balk and for that small gift I thank them. 

• Love 5