Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

51 minutes ago, sealit said:

Then we have the people in grocery stores who don't care to notice there is a line waiting for the next available self-check register to open. I was in line with my 6 year old. When the next one opened, we walked toward it. A man cut through the flower section and went right to the register. My exact words, "excuse me sir, we were next, there's a line". He grabbed his beer and toilet paper and said, "chill out, bitch." And, because whatever karmic force in the world you believe in has a sense of humor, he ended up at the register across from me. I lit him up as best I could with my child with me. Total DB. I really wish employees would step in before something happens. How hard is it to direct people to the line?

Sometimes it's possible that people don't realize that there is a line, or that it starts further back.  But, with a response like that, it's probably not the case.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm salty on my behalf because of all the stupid clickbait ads telling me I won't believe! what! celebrities! look! like! now! Complete with before and after.

You know what? I have no trouble believing it! People were once in young and now 40-50 years later they no longer are. Going bald/gray and needing glasses is one thing, but dog forbid any of the poor schmucks have put on weight because that moves them right to the front of the photo gallery of horrors.

(I'll allow that some celebs have unfortunate cosmetic surgery results, but the commonality is still that they aged.)

• Love 8

Perhaps. But the sign, please wait here with a bunch of people holding groceries behind it should’ve been his first clue. He was being an entitled snot and he doesn’t get to speak to me like that. Seriously, look up and take other people into consideration. 

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Sometimes it's possible that people don't realize that there is a line, or that it starts further back.  But, with a response like that, it's probably not the case.

• Love 3

I don't know if this is a real peeve because, in the grand scheme of things, I don't care (and also, I laughed a little) but a lady at Petco said to me today, "You have such beautiful skin; why would you DO THAT to it?!" ("That" = tattoos.) Honestly, she seemed nice enough in general, but tact, lady!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't know if this is a real peeve because, in the grand scheme of things, I don't care (and also, I laughed a little) but a lady at Petco said to me today, "You have such beautiful skin; why would you DO THAT to it?!" ("That" = tattoos.) Honestly, she seemed nice enough in general, but tact, lady!

I have never gotten so many comments--rude, curious, or complimentary--on my tattoos until I started working as a cashier. I have only two (of nine total) that are fully visible when I wear my work shirt, but people just love to comment on them. And no, I didn't get them so that people would do so. I got them because of what each piece means to me.

I'm considering wearing armbands so people stop commenting, but then they would ask why I'm wearing armbands!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, auntlada said:

If you do wear armbands, make them black. Then if anyone asks, look as sad as you can and say, "I'm sorry. I can't talk about it."

Of course! Black is my signature color.

Here's the pisser of my day.

I'd noticed my phone had stopped responding to "OK Google" (the Android version of "Hey, Siri"). I played around in the settings last night and my phone wouldn't record any audio. I got into the records of all the commands I had ever given it, and the last one was in early February, just before I had the battery replaced.

I took my phone back to the repair shop this evening after work and explained the issue. They opened my phone and found "corrosion" (as in, from liquid) on the "daughterboard" (I had to look that up) that houses both the charging port and the microphone. The water damage sensor was "slightly pink" (red indicates damage). Of course, I don't know that the damage was caused when they worked on it, but the fact that the record function quit working immediately after is pretty suspect.

If I give them the benefit of the doubt (which, spoiler alert, I have), my working theory is that them opening the sealed (glued) phone housing to replace the battery (at my request) made it that much more vulnerable to liquid/vapor. I am pretty careful with my phone; I keep it in my purse or on my bedside table when I'm not using it. It has a case and screen protector on it. I rarely carry it in my pocket (because it's too big and women's pants don't have adequate pockets and because it gets sweaty).

I realized today that when I make the rare phone call, people haven't been able to hear me unless I put the phone on speaker. It records audio on videos I take of the cats (hush!), so I guess there's some other, secondary microphone.

So here we are. I paid sixty damn dollars for a new battery in February. It's doing OK...not optimal. Now I'm paying another sixty damn dollars to get this board replaced. I can't afford a new, $400 phone. I can't afford this repair, but the corrosion needs to be dealt with, and I need to be able to talk to the few people I call.

Sixty bucks. Six hours of work for me. I swear to god...

Edited by bilgistic
Note: re: tattoos--the last one I got was 2.5 years ago, when I was still at BadJob and had $20K in savings. A year of intensive mental health treatment burned off those savings but quick.
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

And no, I didn't get them so that people would do so. I got them because of what each piece means to me.

Thank you for this part! I hate the "well, you did it so you MUST want attention" thing. I am fine with comments, questions, whatever, but if it's obnoxious for me to say the same about a necklace or lip liner, then it's the same for tattoos (and some of mine mean nothing more than "I like it").

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Pet peeve - the way Americans pronounce Anthony.  I know it's an "eether"  "ither" kind of thing, but it bothers me unreasonably.

Now, I'm really curious as to how it's supposed to be pronounced.

• LOL 1
24 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Pet peeve - the way Americans pronounce Anthony.  I know it's an "eether"  "ither" kind of thing, but it bothers me unreasonably.

2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Now, I'm really curious as to how it's supposed to be pronounced.

Not sure about "supposed to be", but Brits use a hard "t" - Antony.

If you’re in the US @Brookside that’s going to be a tough one.  I don't recall a person in TV saying an-ton-ee Bourdain and he was all over the world nor anyone I know with that name.  Can we meet in the middle on Tony? 🙂

I went to the store today to get stuff for dinner. Taking up some decent real estate in front of the entrance were some lawn chairs. I spotted a poster board. The fat ass in me got excited I might score some Girl Scout Cookies. 

The reality was it was girls just wanting money for softball. No offer on their part in return just “can you please help out our softball team?”.  That’s begging for money for a hobby. I need a new tennis racquet. Should I show up next week and ask shoppers for spare change?  The fuck?  That’s not a fundraiser. That’s begging. 

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 9
(edited)
8 hours ago, bilgistic said:

What happened to carwashes and bake sales?!

Where I am, car washes still happen.  Not so much bake sales -- too much fear of food allergens or bad hygiene.  Some schools also ban homemade snacks.  Goodness knows how I (and others) have made it to our ripe old ages.  

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

My middle name is Anthony, and I've not heard it pronounced that way.

17 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

The only people I know who use a hard T are also missing the H in their name so it is Antony instead of Anthony. They are also British.

Off the top of my head, Anthony Hopkins (actor), Anthony Eden (Prime Minister who succeeded Churchill), Anthony Andrews (actor famous for playing Sebastian in Brideshead).  

• Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Brookside said:

Not sure about "supposed to be", but Brits use a hard "t" - Antony.

According to that unquestionable authority Wikipedia:

"The spelling with "h" is not found until the 16th century when William Camden claimed that the name derived from the Greek ἄνθος (anthos, flower or possibly a small yellow bird such as a wagtail). The spelling pronunciation later became usual in the United States but not in the British Isles."

Apparently it's with an "h" in Australia/New Zealand as well.

I don't know, this just seems like the "aunt" (is it ant? or ont?) debate.  In both cases it's just a regionalism rather than a mistake.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

Where I am, car washes still happen.  Not so much bake sales -- too much fear of food allergens or bad hygiene.  Some schools also ban homemade snacks.  Goodness knows how I (and others) have made it to our ripe old ages.  

I know. From what I've seen in the two grocery bakeries I've now worked in, people's homes and hands are probably just as clean or cleaner. Most of us are doing just fine and have healthy immune systems. I have had to suspend a lot of my own germ fears.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

According to that unquestionable authority Wikipedia:

"The spelling with "h" is not found until the 16th century when William Camden claimed that the name derived from the Greek ἄνθος (anthos, flower or possibly a small yellow bird such as a wagtail). The spelling pronunciation later became usual in the United States but not in the British Isles."

Apparently it's with an "h" in Australia/New Zealand as well.

I don't know, this just seems like the "aunt" (is it ant? or ont?) debate.  In both cases it's just a regionalism rather than a mistake.

It's with an "h" in Canada too.  As for "aunt" - the only time I hear "ont" is from Cantonese speakers speaking English.  And even then, it sounds more like ahhh-nt  And always referring to a non-relative woman from someone's parents' generation as the actual relative aunt is referred to by her title in Cantonese (which can vary, depending on her relationship to the family (i.e. whether she's from the male side or female side, older or younger than the parent and whether she's an in-law or not.  Oh, and relationship degree (i.e. whether she's a cousin or a sibling or spouse of the cousin or sibling).  It all gets VERY CONFUSING, even to people FROM the culture).

(edited)
8 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

don't know, this just seems like the "aunt" (is it ant? or ont?) debate.  In both cases it's just a regionalism rather than a mistake.

It's "ont."  An ant is a bug that crawls on the ground. I guess that's my pet peeve even though I'm in the minority if I leave New England.

Btw, I bothered to come up with irrefutable proof and posted in on FB a few months ago. Haunt, taunt, jaunt, vaunt, daunt, flaunt.  You don't pronounce any of those ant.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2
On 3/28/2019 at 5:57 PM, sealit said:

Perhaps. But the sign, please wait here with a bunch of people holding groceries behind it should’ve been his first clue. He was being an entitled snot and he doesn’t get to speak to me like that. Seriously, look up and take other people into consideration. 

My brother-in-law has perfected the "Oh, I didn't see you standing there waiting in line" excuse. He seriously thinks its his right to butt in line for whatever he is waiting for and then pretend he didn't see others. Sometimes people call him out, like you @sealit , unfortunately it doesn't happen enough for him to stop doing it. In fact, with every instance that he goes unchallenged he feels more and more entitled. He's an ass.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

The reality was it was girls just wanting money for softball. No offer on their part in return just “can you please help out our softball team?”.  That’s begging for money for a hobby. I need a new tennis racquet. Should I show up next week and ask shoppers for spare change?  The fuck?  That’s not a fundraiser. That’s begging. 

I had a family show up at my door a several summers ago, a mom and 2 or 3 grade-to-middle school aged children whom I had never seen before. The mom stayed at the bottom of the porch steps while the kids gave me a speil of wanting to raise money to go to Disney for the vacation of their dreams. No joke. I politely declined and went to close the door when the mom piped up "Surely you can spare a few dollars so my children can have the experience of a lifetime!" I smiled at her and told her I couldn't afford to take my own children to Disney, and maybe she should look into taking them to a more reasonably priced theme park in our area, as I had done.  She huffed off with her kids, I always wondered how much money they scammed off people who felt guilted into giving them money.

• Love 11

@GoodieGirl, happy to hear you responded that way. I’m not thrilled when someone asks me to donate to a fundraiser when the kids are selling stuff, but at least they’re not outright begging. And I could see asking for donations to an actual charity or good cause. But there’s no excuse whatsoever for taking your kids around to request a handout for a family vacation. Glad that you didn’t reward the mom’s bad behavior and were blunt with her. It’s not anyone’s responsibility other than the family to pay for their own vacation. 

• Love 6

My pet peeve today is hives. I worked in the yard yesterday and it was chilly so i had on a jacket, pants, and gloves, but my neck was exposed. I don't know what I got into but I woke up around 3:30am with my neck on fire and itching like hell. I have an appointment at 1:45 to see my PCP and he will hopefully give me a huge cortisone shot. 

I hate nature.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, GoodieGirl said:

My brother-in-law has perfected the "Oh, I didn't see you standing there waiting in line" excuse. He seriously thinks its his right to butt in line for whatever he is waiting for and then pretend he didn't see others. Sometimes people call him out, like you @sealit , unfortunately it doesn't happen enough for him to stop doing it. In fact, with every instance that he goes unchallenged he feels more and more entitled. He's an ass.

So, I'm gonna hip check anyone trying to butt in line (Canadian, eh) - even if it ends up shattering my allegedly fragile old hip.  Failing that, I could throat punch your BIL ...

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

So, I'm gonna hip check anyone trying to butt in line (Canadian, eh) - even if it ends up shattering my allegedly fragile old hip.  Failing that, I could throat punch your BIL ...

But you're Canadian so you'd do it politely, right? 🇨🇦

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 1:42 PM, bilgistic said:

What happened to carwashes and bake sales?!

Some cities in the San Francisco Bay area have enacted laws against washing cars where excess water will drain into the storm sewers and pollute the bay with soapy residue.  That includes anyplace without pump systems to channel runoff into disposal tanks, such as parking lots at schools and public places where students and groups like Boy and Girl Scouts used to hold these fundraising events.  Law enforcement agencies rely on complaints to alert them to violations and there seem to be enough civic minded environmentalists with plenty of spare time to keep a lid on these scofflaws.

Meanwhile, neighborhood gangs raising money for funerals to bury their members killed by rivals continue to hold carwashes without challenge because people are afraid to report them. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

But you're Canadian so you'd do it politely, right? 🇨🇦

Yes, I still have the dregs of Canadian politeness (sooorry), but have lived in SoCal long enough to adopt some rather rude behaviour!

2 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

Some cities in the San Francisco Bay area have enacted laws against washing cars where excess water will drain into the storm sewers and pollute the bay with soapy residue.  That includes anyplace without pump systems to channel runoff into disposal tanks, such as parking lots at schools and public places where students and groups like Boy and Girl Scouts used to hold these fundraising events.  Law enforcement agencies rely on complaints to alert them to violations and there seem to be enough civic minded environmentalists with plenty of spare time to keep a lid on these scofflaws.

Meanwhile, neighborhood gangs raising money for funerals to bury their members killed by rivals continue to hold carwashes without challenge because people are afraid to report them. 

Reminds me of Six Feet Under, when Rico read the riot act to the gangbanger.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, PRgal said:

As for "aunt" - the only time I hear "ont" is from Cantonese speakers speaking English. 

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

It's "ont."  An ant is a bug that crawls on the ground. I guess that's my pet peeve even though I'm in the minority if I leave New England.

I grew up saying "ont" because my mom was Brooklyn Irish.  But nobody else I knew including my dad's side of the family said anything but "ant."

On 4/1/2019 at 2:40 AM, ratgirlagogo said:

The various dictionary resources on the internet pronounce it Ant for the US and Ahnt for the UK.  The best example of it is this Cambridge definition

My pronunciation pet peeves, which are probably documented here many moons ago, are mostly limited to the shortening and the omitting of the vowels at the end of Italian foods such as mozzarella, prosciutto, ricotta, and manicotti. My dad passed down that peeve to me.

Over the years, I've seen a lot of people make fun of Giada on the Food Network for her over-annunciation of words like ricotta, but I far prefer that to "ri-GOT". ::shudder::

oDJGKPA.gif

• Love 7

Peeve: excess packaging and excess waste. I've seen three different headlines about three different whales washing up on shore with 10-15lbs of plastic in their stomach over the past few weeks and I've just had it. 

People in my complex put perfectly good boxes from moving in the dumpster (attached to a trash compactor), instead of the recycle area. They could be used by someone else, or at the very least, recycled instead of compacted into a landfill.

GA doesn't have CRV so there is no recycling of cans or bottles. All into landfills, unless you find a designated recycle area.

I've just had it. I know I'm part of the problem but I'm about to be part of the solution. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Peeve: excess packaging and excess waste. I've seen three different headlines about three different whales washing up on shore with 10-15lbs of plastic in their stomach over the past few weeks and I've just had it. 

People in my complex put perfectly good boxes from moving in the dumpster (attached to a trash compactor), instead of the recycle area. They could be used by someone else, or at the very least, recycled instead of compacted into a landfill.

GA doesn't have CRV so there is no recycling of cans or bottles. All into landfills, unless you find a designated recycle area.

I've just had it. I know I'm part of the problem but I'm about to be part of the solution. 

What is CRV? When I google it, I just get a lot of sites for Hondas.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, auntlada said:

What is CRV? When I google it, I just get a lot of sites for Hondas.

Oops. It's California Redemption Value. It's the 5 cents a can/bottle tacked on to the price that you get back by recycling Other states do it too but after spending my whole life in CA I have no idea what other states call the redemption value.

• Love 3

I don't know either. I don't think we do it here, but you can put your cans and bottles in recycling, depending on where you live. Some places have curbside recycling; other places you have to take stuff somewhere.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:58 AM, Katy M said:

Btw, I bothered to come up with irrefutable proof and posted in on FB a few months ago. Haunt, taunt, jaunt, vaunt, daunt, flaunt.  You don't pronounce any of those ant.

Though, through, enough, cough.

All "ough", none of them pronounced the same way.  Why should aunt not be allowed to be different than other "aunt" words?

• Love 6

Pet peeve: when you take the time to respond to a question on previously tv and the original poster doesn't bother to "heart" your answer.  To me the heart is a thank you.  But maybe it's my ego/pride talking. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Brookside said:

All "ough", none of them pronounced the same way.  Why should aunt not be allowed to be different than other "aunt" words?

Because I said so:)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

It’s just known as a 5 cents bottle or can deposit in New York. Here in NY/NJ we have fairly simple recycling programs in most places where my waste management company gives me two cans. One for waste, one for recyclables paper/cardboard/bottles & cans. 

So unless I want to keep all of my bottles and cans separate in a stinky can and then eventually bring them back to put them in a machine one at a time to get my nickels back (which I do not at this point in my life), it’s just another tax. Recycling is made easy here, and my recycling can is ALWAYS twice as full as my regular garbage. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Brookside said:

Pet peeve: when you take the time to respond to a question on previously tv and the original poster doesn't bother to "heart" your answer.  To me the heart is a thank you.  But maybe it's my ego/pride talking. 

I understand completely. I give out a lot of hearts. To show thanks, to agree with what someone is saying, to show support, and because I like something. On your point I’d consider it to be a matter of manners. We all want to be appreciated. 

• Love 8

When I lived in CA I rarely took cans back but I rinsed them out kept them separate, in a bag in my mud room then I put the bag out by the trash area to make easy for the homeless and destitute population who collect cans & bottles to recycle.

I miss that apartment so much. I could put anything out in the alley and it would be gone by morning. Here, I have a 10 year old coffee table that I replaced sitting in my guest room because I can't get it downstairs and when I do I don't know what to do with it.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I miss that apartment so much. I could put anything out in the alley and it would be gone by morning. Here, I have a 10 year old coffee table that I replaced sitting in my guest room because I can't get it downstairs and when I do I don't know what to do with it.

Where I live there are organisations that help house recent immigrants/formerly homeless, etc.  They will pick up items of furniture as long as it's in decent condition.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Where I live there are organisations that help house recent immigrants/formerly homeless, etc.  They will pick up items of furniture as long as it's in decent condition.

My go-to is Habitat for Humanity but they won't pick up from the third floor (no elevator)

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/25/2019 at 1:23 PM, Bastet said:

On 3/25/2019 at 1:23 PM, Bastet said:

I think my biggest peeve among food mispronunciations is mar-skah-pōn for "mascarpone" - because I repeatedly hear professional cooks/chefs say it on cooking shows!

Second place is probably adding a second R to "sherbet" (as if it was "sherbert").

Nobody on any of the animal shows knows how to pronounce veterinarian, they all say vet-in-arian. Nobody on the home shows can properly say realtor. And nobody on any show ever knows how to say relationship, they all say relay-ships.

It drives me nuts! 

And I agree with you all about not being thanked for answering a question or whatever. I try to always send a heart and make a thank you post. It's kinda rude to not acknowledge it at all. 

On 3/31/2019 at 8:57 PM, Brookside said:

I've seen way too many episodes of Hoarders to ever go to a potluck again and to never eat something unless I personally know who made it. 

Sorry for double posting. I tried to merge them and to multi quote but I think that's changed. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 5
On 4/2/2019 at 9:01 AM, JTMacc99 said:

My pronunciation pet peeves, which are probably documented here many moons ago, are mostly limited to the shortening and the omitting of the vowels at the end of Italian foods such as mozzarella, prosciutto, ricotta, and manicotti. My dad passed down that peeve to me.

But that's a regionalism too.  In Neapolitan, Calabrian, Sicilian they often swallow the last syllable.  Southern Italy is where most of the Italian immigration into the US came from.   As some famous guy once said, a dialect is just a language that doesn't have an army and navy behind it.

Here's an interesting piece on the way Italian Americans in NJ who don't really speak Italian anymore retain antique regional pronuncations:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-capicola-became-gabagool-the-italian-new-jersey-accent-explained

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, forumfish said:

I guess I owe everyone on here an apology 'cause I don't think I've ever hit the "heart" or any other button. This is about the only social media site in which I participate*, so I guess I'm not well-versed in the etiquette. I do occasionally click on the little bell symbol when I'm logged in and then hit "clear notifications," but I'm sorry to say I don't read them first. I guess that makes me a bad forum member.

Eh, don't worry about it. We all have our own ways. You aren't the only person I "know" who doesn't like or read notifications. It's not as uncommon as it seems  

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/1/2019 at 1:28 PM, emma675 said:

My pet peeve today is hives. I worked in the yard yesterday and it was chilly so i had on a jacket, pants, and gloves, but my neck was exposed. I don't know what I got into but I woke up around 3:30am with my neck on fire and itching like hell. I have an appointment at 1:45 to see my PCP and he will hopefully give me a huge cortisone shot. 

I hate nature.

Oy, with you on this! It would probably take less time to say what I am not allergic to that what I am (thankfully, nothing life-threatening, just annoyingly itchy, red, sudden, and random!)--in fact, I was allergic to the adhesive on the test patches that my allergist put on my skin (how they can tell what's happening when that's the case, I do not know, but that was a long two-and-a-half days).

Have you ever seen the I Love Lucy scene with Ricky trying to work this out? It's what I always think of when I see/hear some loser bitching about "learn to talk American!" in regard to a non-native speaker doing his or her best with a second language.

Peeve: when it's 4:30 pm and a project manager sends you a SIXTY-FIVE PAGE document that has to be read for errors by 5. I AM NOT A ROBOT, PEOPLE! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11