Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

My cable bill is usually due on the 6th of the month.  Today, it dawned on me that I never received a copy of the bill in the mail.  I go over to the website for Cablevision/Optimum/Altice/whatever the hell they are now so I can pay online, and it's being a royal pain in the ass and taking forever to open.  "Sorry, we can't load that information right now".  I finally get the site to load in a different browser, only to see that my bill has gone up by something like $11.  And I noticed I have fewer channels than I used to, on top of it.  Such a load of bullshit.   

Maybe people wouldn't be cutting the cable in droves if they weren't such utter assholes.  They already raised prices once in the last twelve months. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Buckle in:

This is very similar to my Comcast experience in general, but specifically, when I had to move Mom from her upstairs apartment to the downstairs apartment, in.the.same.building, it took a minimum of two weeks to get her service straightened out.  We moved her a year later to an assisted living building, where thankfully we don't have to deal with the service providers directly, but good old Comcast is still billing me for the equipment THAT I RETURNED and have a receipt for, over a year later.  I continue a year later, to throw the bills in the trash.  She's 89 years old, can't see, can't hear...you all go ahead an sue her for that $30 bux.  I dare you.  

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, janestclair said:

Maybe people wouldn't be cutting the cable in droves if they weren't such utter assholes.

Yeah I totally feel like those of us cable hold outs are being punished in some ways!  Way more commercials to sit or FF through when we're watching and higher bills for less coverage.  I mean do the cable companies actually want to keep our business?  We're not quite ready to give up cable yet but honestly I know very few people anymore who still have it and we're getting closer to pulling the plug ourselves.  

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 2
Just now, WinnieWinkle said:

Yeah I totally feel like those of cable hold outs are being punished in some ways!  Way more commercials to sit or FF through when we're watching and higher bills for less coverage.  I mean do the cable companies actually want to keep our business?  We're not quite ready to give up cable yet but honestly I know very few people anymore who still have it and we're getting closer to pulling the plug ourselves.  

Same here.  The primary reason I haven't is fear, lol.  I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime video, so I'm not unfamiliar with streaming, but I have a fear of not having access to "local" channels, and those with which we watch frequently.  The thought of putting absolutely everything aside to study and bone up on what seems like thousands of possibilities gives me high anxiety, lol.  It's an issue I have to address, I know I do.  Our cable bill (TV & Internet) is north of $200 now, and that just doesn't work for me anymore, but it seems like one could easily reach that number with all of the streaming services coming on board.  Ack!!

• Love 6

Ok here's a new pet peeve: I dislike it when people sell something as "sliding scale donations." If you are charging money for it, it's not a donation, it's a price tag. 

I happen to support some arts organizations and I am happy to give them my money. They're struggling, I get it. But when there's a "donation" for, say, streaming a Nutcracker from their company, that's actually not a donation. That's you charging money to see the Nutcracker. Which is fine and good. I'm happy to support. It just irks me when it's called a "donation."

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ok here's a new pet peeve: I dislike it when people sell something as "sliding scale donations." If you are charging money for it, it's not a donation, it's a price tag. 

I happen to support some arts organizations and I am happy to give them my money. They're struggling, I get it. But when there's a "donation" for, say, streaming a Nutcracker from their company, that's actually not a donation. That's yoy charging money to see the Nutcracker. Which is fine and good. I'm happy to support. It just irks me when it's called a "donation."

I like to call it tax form wizardry.

8 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I mean do the cable companies actually want to keep our business?

Honestly? Not really. (FWIW, I work for a cable company.)

Selling TV is a nightmare, the media companies (Disney, FOX, Warner, CBS, etc.) hold ALL of the power, jack up the rates at multiple times inflation rates every year, demand contractually that their networks MUST be carried in basic cable packages and not à la carte, and it's up to the cable companies to tell the customers "Uh, your bill is going up $9 this year. Technically, we're not keeping a single dollar of that increase, but we know you don't care because it's our name on that check you write every month."

The sooner the media companies force everybody to drop TV with their relentless rate hikes, the better. I can then take back all of the bandwidth that TV eats up, and turn it into 10 Gigabit up and down internet for anybody who wants it.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Selling TV is a nightmare, the media companies (Disney, FOX, Warner, CBS, etc.) hold ALL of the power, jack up the rates at multiple times inflation rates every year, demand contractually that their networks MUST be carried in basic cable packages and not à la carte, and it's up to the cable companies to tell the customers "Uh, your bill is going up $9 this year.

This must be a US thing - or anyway this is not the basic cable experience I've ever encountered.  Here basic is pretty basic!  We will get the local Canadian channels and the major US channels (ABC, CBS, NBC and a PBS station).   We get some local access and parliamentary type channels (who watches these???) and because this is Canada we also get some French language channels that pad things out to a heady 25 channels for basic cable that means you really only get about maybe 10 channels you would ever actually watch!  And this is, of course, priced so that upping from basic is "only" about $20 but you actually then get channels you'll watch.  It's well thought out.  Don't blame them for that.  But it's a pet peeve for sure!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

This is very similar to my Comcast experience in general, but specifically, when I had to move Mom from her upstairs apartment to the downstairs apartment, in.the.same.building, it took a minimum of two weeks to get her service straightened out.  We moved her a year later to an assisted living building, where thankfully we don't have to deal with the service providers directly, but good old Comcast is still billing me for the equipment THAT I RETURNED and have a receipt for, over a year later.  I continue a year later, to throw the bills in the trash.  She's 89 years old, can't see, can't hear...you all go ahead an sue her for that $30 bux.  I dare you.  

After all of that crap upthread, Spectrum sent me an unexplained bill for $20 after I moved. I used some strong language as I threw the bill in the recycling bin. They sent the $20 bill to collections. That bill went in the recycling bin, too. I don't care if it dings my credit; I won't give Spectrum or anyone standing in for them another cent. I suspect it's the same issue you had, @SuprSuprElevated; I returned all the equipment in person during a pandemic, so they can bite me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Same here.  The primary reason I haven't is fear, lol.  I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime video, so I'm not unfamiliar with streaming, but I have a fear of not having access to "local" channels, and those with which we watch frequently.  The thought of putting absolutely everything aside to study and bone up on what seems like thousands of possibilities gives me high anxiety, lol.  It's an issue I have to address, I know I do.  Our cable bill (TV & Internet) is north of $200 now, and that just doesn't work for me anymore, but it seems like one could easily reach that number with all of the streaming services coming on board.  Ack!!

I get about 20 local channels with my leaf-style antenna. It's not perfect, but I've had it probably 10 years now (had cable off and on during that time) and paid maybe $25 for it. I'm on the first floor of a two-story apartment building and it works pretty well. Wind and rain affect transmission, but I have Hulu ($2/month promo over Black Friday weekend!), so I can catch most anything I miss on the big networks.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'll take this to Chit Chat.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

After all of that crap upthread, Spectrum sent me an unexplained bill for $20 after I moved. I used some strong language as I threw the bill in the recycling bin. They sent the $20 bill to collections. That bill went in the recycling bin, too. I don't care if it dings my credit; I won't give Spectrum or anyone standing in for them another cent. I suspect it's the same issue you had, @SuprSuprElevated; I returned all the equipment in person during a pandemic, so they can bite me.

Shady as hell. I sold my dad's house last July. In Oct. I got a bill from the waste management company that picks up the garbage there. I paid it because my husband talked to them and said we would pay it if we never heard from them again. The next month they sent us another bill. I forwarded it to my attorney and he dealt with them. They're the fucking mob.

• Love 3

A rant by my son reminded me of one of my pettest of pet peeves from when I was going into the office (was it really less than a year ago??) Anyway I always work 7.30 to 3.30 and usually due to transportation issues am in the office by 7 most days.  I  lost count of the times someone has felt the need to comment when I would leave at 3.30 as if I was somehow getting away with something.  Of course said in a jokey "just kidding" tone.   I've decided if we ever work outside the home again I am going to keep track of the "jokers" saying things so that at 9 when they come into the office I can be sure and make some comment about "better late than never".

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I  lost count of the times someone has felt the need to comment when I would leave at 3.30 as if I was somehow getting away with something. 

Occasionally when I would leave work early and someone would jokingly say "Half day?" and I'd say "Yes, only 12 hours..."

Edited by Moose135
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

A rant by my son reminded me of one of my pettest of pet peeves from when I was going into the office (was it really less than a year ago??) Anyway I always work 7.30 to 3.30 and usually due to transportation issues am in the office by 7 most days.  I  lost count of the times someone has felt the need to comment when I would leave at 3.30 as if I was somehow getting away with something.  Of course said in a jokey "just kidding" tone.   I've decided if we ever work outside the home again I am going to keep track of the "jokers" saying things so that at 9 when they come into the office I can be sure and make some comment about "better late than never".

I used eat at my desk so I could leave at four instead of five. I got that all the time. God, it's annoying.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5

I used to get the opposite, snarky comments about the time I came in (around 10/10:30), as if I wasn't there for several hours after they left in the evening.  I don't know why it's so hard for some people to comprehend how schedules work.  Or why so many morning people think their schedule is morally superior.

• Love 16
19 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

This must be a US thing - or anyway this is not the basic cable experience I've ever encountered.  Here basic is pretty basic!  We will get the local Canadian channels and the major US channels (ABC, CBS, NBC and a PBS station).   We get some local access and parliamentary type channels (who watches these???) and because this is Canada we also get some French language channels that pad things out to a heady 25 channels for basic cable that means you really only get about maybe 10 channels you would ever actually watch!  And this is, of course, priced so that upping from basic is "only" about $20 but you actually then get channels you'll watch.  It's well thought out.  Don't blame them for that.  But it's a pet peeve for sure!

Canadian here.  We pay extra to get movie, sports and finance channels.  And then today, there was some sort of feed issue with CNBC so we ended up with CNBC World.  And it was showing some weird reality show rather than Squawk Box.  I think we lost it for an hour or two.  It was back by 9 am.  I thought Rogers let the licence expire.  In the perfect world, I'd ONLY have sports, movie, news and finance channels.  Oh, and the Food Network and the Cooking Channel.  Gotta have those.  I don't need network.  I can watch the only network show I watch, This is Us on ctv.ca the next day.  Yes, that's a peeve of mine.  Having too many channels I don't watch.

Edited by PRgal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I used to get the opposite, snarky comments about the time I came in (around 10/10:30), as if I wasn't there for several hours after they left in the evening.  I don't know why it's so hard for some people to comprehend how schedules work.  Or why so many morning people think their schedule is morally superior.

People can't seem to refrain from commenting on other people's business. I'm kind of a picky eater without much of an appetite. I'm just about to the point (pre Covid) of never eating around people again. "How do you know you don't like monkey brains if you don't try them? You can't already be finished? I know you hate mayonnaise but I just snuck a little in the fish." Jeez, leave me alone.

• Love 14
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I fail to comprehend why other employees delude themselves into thinking another employee’s work schedule is any of their damn business. That’s between the employee and his/her manager. It would be one thing if a colleague wasn’t there as promised for a meeting or project work, but to just randomly snark because another employee arrives or leaves earlier or later than one does oneself is complete and utter bullshit, not to mention it’s acting as if one has authority over the other employee to dictate work schedules. 

• Love 8

I haven't had to deal with it in a long time, and it was at its worst when I was in my 20s -- I think there was some "Who does she think she is?" resentment that I'd negotiated a different schedule than the company norm after about six months on the job.  Hey, if you want to work different hours, take it up with the boss just like I did.

My work was not anything that needed to be done within certain hours and I had quickly proven I was great at my job -- I simply explained I hated mornings so being awake at 9:00 was not enjoyable, never mind walking into the office then, and I'd like to come in somewhere between 10 and 10:30 instead.  Her response was "No problem."  She didn't even need to mention that meant I'd be leaving later, or that I'd have to come in early if circumstances necessitated it, because of course it did.

It was nice to learn early in my professional life there are reasonable bosses out there, and I do not need to put up with anyone who micromanages, especially watching the clock when there's no reason to.  And that's bosses -- busybody co-workers who think my schedule is any of their business?  Hell no.

• Love 7

My pet peeve is people who try to get me to "come hang out."  Sorry, I'm not comfortable with that right now. It's too cold for outside visiting.  Inside visiting is not a good idea right now.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

I haven't had to deal with it in a long time, and it was at its worst when I was in my 20s -- I think there was some "Who does she think she is?" resentment that I'd negotiated a different schedule than the company norm after about six months on the job.  Hey, if you want to work different hours, take it up with the boss just like I did.

My work was not anything that needed to be done within certain hours and I had quickly proven I was great at my job -- I simply explained I hated mornings so being awake at 9:00 was not enjoyable, never mind walking into the office then, and I'd like to come in somewhere between 10 and 10:30 instead.  Her response was "No problem."  She didn't even need to mention that meant I'd be leaving later, or that I'd have to come in early if circumstances necessitated it, because of course it did.

It was nice to learn early in my professional life there are reasonable bosses out there, and I do not need to put up with anyone who micromanages, especially watching the clock when there's no reason to.  And that's bosses -- busybody co-workers who think my schedule is any of their business?  Hell no.

I started working (yes, with my parents' permission - they were children of the Great Depression and children working was pretty normal as far as they were concerned) when I was 12 years old in a strange "factory" that took pre-fab ceramic owls and other knick knackery and prettied them up to go into the Green Stamps catalog (okay, now you know how long ago this is!). I loved it - just a few hours every Saturday afternoon and all the pay was mine to spend and my boss, a recent emigrant from Greece, was exacting but fair and we had great conversations about living in Greece etc. I've had a lot of reasonable bosses since then but by the time I was in a real professional career they were few and far between, compelling me to become my own boss ASAP. That is pretty much the only way to deal with both obnoxious direct managers and co-workers from what I can tell - figure out how to do what you do outside the hierarchy of a company/corporation.

Circling back around to our topic: one of my long term pet peeves is parents that hand money out to their kids as an "allowance". What is that all about? If I wanted money I was expected to work for it (doing specific chores as a young child, and then working outside the home as soon as possible and we were definitely not poor). I raised my kid exactly the same way and he is now a self-sufficient adult. Why would people train their children to expect free money unless they wanted them to come back as needy adults with their palms extended for more hand outs?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I understand your frustration, but they are allowed to make a living just like everyone else.   People can choose or chose not to watch, and they can choose or choose not to buy their books.   There are number of books out their on all sides of every issue.  If the books don't sell, then they are less likely to write another one.  I don't pick sides.  I am not going to tell someone else how to live their life.  Once I open that door, I can't bitch about it if they start telling me how to live my life.

I have noticed a trend lately and I am not sure what to make of it.   Hell, I am not sure where to post this comment.   I wonder if root canals are now a specialty.  I have never had a dentist that didn't do his own work, but since I had to change dentists since mine retired, the two dentists at at the same dental office don't do them, and another dentist I was considering going to doesn't do them either.  I broke my tooth in late September, and I wasn't able to get the root canal done until December.  The dude that performs them is only in town on Tuesdays.   My normal dentist will finish off the job with a temporary and then a crown which probably won't be finished until the end of January.   I have never had that process take that long.

Now on to doctors, when I go to the doctor he takes a stool sample and checks for blood.  Not the most pleasant of experiences, but immediate answers right then and there.   I was talking with someone who goes to a different doctor and her doctor told her to go home and take a sample and drop it off at the hospital.   Why her doctor didn't just take the sample during the doctor visit so my friend wouldn't have to take a sample and go all the way to the hospital and drop it off I haven't a clue. 

Yes, I know they have that commercial with that blue talking shit box and you can mail it in, but this isn't the process that my friend's doctor wanted my friend to take.  With all that is going on, why in the world would a doctor want their patient to go to the hospital for that, when it could have been easily taken care of during a normal doctor visit?

The doctor didn’t want to take the sample because he just didn’t want to do the dirty work.  My former cardiologist got annoyed when he had to change my second cholesterol pill as it was making me sick, so he gave me to another young doctor across the hall as he didn’t want to be bothered.  My primary care Dr. doesn’t take blood, so I have to schlep to Quest.  My daughters Primary Care takes the blood.  Go figure.  They do what they want.

17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

People can't seem to refrain from commenting on other people's business. I'm kind of a picky eater without much of an appetite. I'm just about to the point (pre Covid) of never eating around people again. "How do you know you don't like monkey brains if you don't try them? You can't already be finished? I know you hate mayonnaise but I just snuck a little in the fish." Jeez, leave me alone.

My girlfriend calls me crazy for not going anywhere because of the Covid.  She’s been to Aruba, Florida and a few other states with all her kids and grandchildren all during this pandemic.  And she calls ME Crazy?  Pisses me off.  She keeps bugging me to get together.  I won’t.  Screw that.

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

My girlfriend calls me crazy for not going anywhere because of the Covid.  She’s been to Aruba, Florida and a few other states with all her kids and grandchildren all during this pandemic.  And she calls ME Crazy?  Pisses me off.  She keeps bugging me to get together.  I won’t.  Screw that.

No way. She's taking a terrible chance. If she were just exposing herself, that's one thing but she's endangering other people. Not cool.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

And this is why this pandemic will never end.  Here in the Ottawa area we were doing so well.  I mean off the charts well in terms of keeping our numbers lower than the average.  And then came Christmas.  Sigh,  I guess this qualifies as a pet peeve - but people who think nothing is going to happen to them because...magical thinking?

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 12

I'm back to rant about Comcast. We have had a problem when we get a heavy rain the internet goes out. We know it's at the pole, their technicians have told us it's at the pole but every time we call about an outage and they actually send someone, they insist on tromping through the house checking every connection, which sometimes requires moving heavy furniture and every time it turns out to be at the pole. Why can't they make a notation on our account that the problem is at the fucking pole?!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5

Okay I hope no one internet yells at me for this because it's a controversial one.

I'm pro breastfeeding, plan on nursing if I have babies, and would never bother another woman who's nursing. I know most moms just want to give their kids the best start in life when they nurse in public. I'm shy myself but would just keep walking if others are more open with it. That said, the exhibitionist breastfeeders are annoying, especially if they're all "Nothing remotely sexual about breasts!" I think many women genuinely don't get why men are so into the globs of fat on our chests, but understand they are for whatever reason. The women who have had breast implants, love their cleavage and being provocative are full of it when they say breasts aren't sexual at all. *cough* Alyssa Milano No breastfeeding itself isn't sexual, no I don't think you need to nurse in a bathroom, but don't act like breasts are no different from arms.

• Love 12
On 1/5/2021 at 4:19 AM, icemiser69 said:

I have noticed a trend lately and I am not sure what to make of it.   Hell, I am not sure where to post this comment.   I wonder if root canals are now a specialty.  I have never had a dentist that didn't do his own work, but since I had to change dentists since mine retired, the two dentists at at the same dental office don't do them, and another dentist I was considering going to doesn't do them either.  I broke my tooth in late September, and I wasn't able to get the root canal done until December.  The dude that performs them is only in town on Tuesdays.   My normal dentist will finish off the job with a temporary and then a crown which probably won't be finished until the end of January.   I have never had that process take that long.

Now on to doctors, when I go to the doctor he takes a stool sample and checks for blood.  Not the most pleasant of experiences, but immediate answers right then and there.   I was talking with someone who goes to a different doctor and her doctor told her to go home and take a sample and drop it off at the hospital.   Why her doctor didn't just take the sample during the doctor visit so my friend wouldn't have to take a sample and go all the way to the hospital and drop it off I haven't a clue. 

When I had a root canal many years ago, my dentist sent me to another dentist. They were a specialist in root canals, so there might be some kind of extra schooling they need to do.

Every year when it's time for my annual physical, I get a bunch of blood tests done at the local lab, & they always give me what I call a poop test kit to take home & return to them. I have never had a doctor collect a stool sample, though I have peed in a cup for them.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 4
On 1/4/2021 at 3:59 PM, peacheslatour said:

Right?! Working from home thanks to Covid has helped me realize just how much I don’t miss the constant scrutiny of others, especially when it comes to eating habits.

Like just this past year or so at work, I’ve opted to do intermittent fasting from 7am-3pm. Not only has it helped me keep my weight down, but it’s helped me be more productive and do work tasks/pleasure scrolling at my desk when I would normally be shoving down lukewarm leftovers in the lounge with gossipy coworkers.

Yet you wouldn’t believe all the “How can you just SKIP lunch?” “Is that even healthy?” or “That sounds like disordered eating to me..” comments I’ve gotten from people. And those comments are usually from people who could stand to engage in some intermittent fasting, quite frankly.
But if I don’t make comments about your constant snacking/bigassed lunches, please kindly refrain from discussing my own fasting habits...and considering how many of my frequently snacking coworkers have gotten infected with Covid at my workplace in the past year, I feel vindicated and much better off just saving eating *anything* for when I’m safely at home. 

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

And this is why this pandemic will never end.  Here in the Ottawa area we were doing so well.  I mean off the charts well in terms of keeping our numbers lower than the average.  And then came Christmas.  Sigh,  I guess this qualifies as a pet peeve - but people who think nothing is going to happen to them because...magical thinking?

I had bronchitis a few years ago, and I could not breathe.  The Dr. sent over an inhaler to me as I couldn’t even walk from the bedroom to the bathroom.  It was a horrible feeling not be able to breathe.  I don’t want to be in a hospital bed on a ventilator.  I feel sorry for people that have asthma and have to use the inhaler everyday.  Plus the people that have the Covid.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, GaT said:

When I had a root canal many years ago, my dentist sent me to another dentist. They were a specialist in root canals, so there might be some kind of extra schooling they need to do them.

Every year when it's time for my annual physical, I get a bunch of blood tests done at the local lab, & they always give me what I call a poop test kit to take home & return to them. I have never had a doctor collect a stool sample, though I have peed in a cup for them.

I've had more root canals than I can count, the first at 12-yrs old, and most are now in the landfill.  Poor dental health was my birthright.  In any event, I've never had to go to a separate dentist to have the work done.  Just had to have another done in April, and the root canal and crown were completed in-house, in two back-to-back visits.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've had more root canals than I can count, the first at 12-yrs old, and most are now in the landfill.  Poor dental health was my birthright.  In any event, I've never had to go to a separate dentist to have the work done.  Just had to have another done in April, and the root canal and crown were completed in-house, in two back-to-back visits.

Maybe your dentist had the qualifications to do root canals & so didn't need to send you anywhere?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, GaT said:

Maybe your dentist had the qualifications to do root canals & so didn't need to send you anywhere?

I've had three dentists as an adult, and all three performed root canals, in their office.  The only secondary practitioner I've ever had to use was an oral surgeon for impacted wisdom teeth removal.

• Love 3

The neighbours who do not appear to believe there is a pandemic have at least 6 cars in their driveway and in front of their house this morning*.  I am certainly not going to "tattle" on them but I am channeling my inner Mary Cooper (BBT and Young Sheldon) and observing them with righteous condemnation.  My pet peeve here is that I feel like I'm in the wrong for even noticing, let alone caring, what my neighbours are doing!  They are ignoring all the rules that have been put in place to try and control this pandemic and yet I feel like a busybody for noticing and caring that they just don't seem to give a damn.  Sigh.

*Clearly a celebration of some kind as there are balloons on the door and Gladys Kravitz here noticed people going in with gift bags etc.  In my defense it's hard not to see stuff happening right across the street!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

The neighbours who do not appear to believe there is a pandemic have at least 6 cars in their driveway and in front of their house this morning*.  I am certainly not going to "tattle" on them but I am channeling my inner Mary Cooper (BBT and Young Sheldon) and observing them with righteous condemnation.  My pet peeve here is that I feel like I'm in the wrong for even noticing, let alone caring, what my neighbours are doing!  They are ignoring all the rules that have been put in place to try and control this pandemic and yet I feel like a busybody for noticing and caring that they just don't seem to give a damn.  Sigh.

*Clearly a celebration of some kind as there are balloons on the door and Gladys Kravitz here noticed people going in with gift bags etc.  In my defense it's hard not to see stuff happening right across the street!

This happens in my neighbourhood, too. I haven't tattled, or said anything to them, but it gets to me. 

• Love 6
Just now, icemiser69 said:

People have been cooped up for damn near a year, it isn't all that shocking or surprising that some people are getting sick and tired of it and have just decided to do what they are going to do, and whatever happens, happens.

The neighbours I am referencing have never let the pandemic stand in the way of a social gathering.  This kind of behavior has been going on since March.  I honestly wish no ill on them but the only way they are going to stop is if someone actually gets Covid. 

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

The neighbours I am referencing have never let the pandemic stand in the way of a social gathering.

My neighbours - 2 adults, 2 teens - have had a large gathering at least once a week since moving in a couple of years ago.  I said they would never shut that down for Covid, but they did - the parties stopped immediately.  When restrictions loosened up in the summer, they had occasional, much smaller gatherings.  When restrictions were tightened in the fall, the parties stopped again.  I was really impressed.  I'm also amazed at the steady stream of Amazon and food deliveries to their house (at least once a day, since March) but that's another story.  

• Love 14

Grrr...what IS it with the people in stores talking on the phone?  I am encountering these folks with more and more frequency and I guess I'm an oldie but what is the point exactly in walking around the store talking loudly on a phone (and clearly not talking to the transplant team)?  They are usually standing in the way, oblivious to others etc  You want to talk on the phone?  Go right ahead!   I'm not sure why you feel the need to do it in the lotion isle at Target and give everyone the stink eye that is trying to get around you.

Vent over...

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Kelly said:

Grrr...what IS it with the people in stores talking on the phone?  I am encountering these folks with more and more frequency and I guess I'm an oldie but what is the point exactly in walking around the store talking loudly on a phone (and clearly not talking to the transplant team)?  They are usually standing in the way, oblivious to others etc  You want to talk on the phone?  Go right ahead!   I'm not sure why you feel the need to do it in the lotion isle at Target and give everyone the stink eye that is trying to get around you.

For me it's on the bus.  Well not recently of course!  But when I was routinely busing in for work I swear I always ended up sitting next to a woman (not the same one each time) who had to broadcast her personal life over the phone at full volume.  Showing off?  Oblivious?  I don't know but damn irritating!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

For me it's on the bus.  Well not recently of course!  But when I was routinely busing in for work I swear I always ended up sitting next to a woman (not the same one each time) who had to broadcast her personal life over the phone at full volume.  Showing off?  Oblivious?  I don't know but damn irritating!

For me, it was on the street, outside of a gourmet grocery store.  The girl in question looked about 23-25.  Those 20-somethings have zero manners. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Kelly said:

Vent over...

So many people did this to me when I worked as a cashier in 2018–2020. They wouldn't even acknowledge me as they stood at my register and I rang up their groceries. Just standing their jacking their jaws with their personal business broadcasted—or FACETIMED, FFS!—to the world because they are the center of the universe and everyone else merely orbits them. It's incredibly fucking rude, and if you treat people like that, you're a narcissistic piece of shit. Rethink your life.

• Love 14