Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I understand SMH to mean "shaking my head" so I just checked two online dictionaries and they both say the same (of course, internet slang being what it is, I could probably check two more and get different definitions).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So Much Hate.

That's what someone told me! Back in 2012. And then a guy on another board, told me it was "shaking my head" which is what I've seen it used for, since. 

• Like 6
(edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 3:16 AM, Yeah No said:

I'm like you although I can take vitamins.  I was prescribed that medication for urinary urgency and had weird side effects so forget that.  So now I take AZO for that issue which is mostly pumpkin seed extract if you can believe that.  It works pretty well but it does get expensive.

You've reminded me of what I've been forgetting in my smoothies, when I finally make them: pumpkin seeds. I was adding them for a while. I was adding them for protein, and also because they're good for your hair. I've had some loss on my the left, and top-left side of my head, probably due to stress, but maybe my age now, too. I don't know. 

My peeve is that I've been in that depression pit I mentioned in February, and now I'm behind on things I wanted to do. And my cat Cutie, got out, yesterday evening. My dad has been letting George out into the sunny weather, since he doesn't go anywhere, and he thinks it's good for him, but he thinks he let Cutie out by accident, thinking he was George. So I'm going out to look for him again. He got out a year ago, four months after I finally got him inside. I didn't see him for two days, and a neighbour told me on nextdoor, that he was on her porch, when it was raining, so I relaxed. the next day, I found him curled up in the sun, next to the garage, waiting to be fed, the way he had for years before I caught him again. He just walked up to me, I picked him up, and brought him in. I'm hoping it will be that easy again. He follows me all over the house, he waits outside the bathroom, when I'm in the shower (I find him there, when I open the door). 

*edit. I did see him a day or two later, but he went into the woods, and they have a "private property" sign up, and I was afraid to follow him into the trees. because people were losing their minds, and harming people, including kids. 

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 5
  • Sad 3
21 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Now I don't feel so bad for having to google some abbreviations.

All this is reminding me of the story going around several years ago about their mom thinking LOL meant lots of love, and sending messages like “Uncle Fred died, LOL”. Urban legend? Actually happened to a lot of people? Maybe both?

• Like 1
  • Wink 3
44 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

All this is reminding me of the story going around several years ago about their mom thinking LOL meant lots of love, and sending messages like “Uncle Fred died, LOL”. Urban legend? Actually happened to a lot of people? Maybe both?

I’m pretty sure it’s Laughing Out Loud?

So...is anyone else getting a scalp "burn" from the hardworking hairstylists? I now go once a week for a shampoo & style (due to back issues). She does a great job. But, that hairdryer is one hot source of air that can really hurt. Same thing with my color/cut stylist.  When it gets too awful, I yelp and they apologize. Is it necessary for hair dryers to run at such a high degree of heat?

• Hugs 2
27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

So...is anyone else getting a scalp "burn" from the hardworking hairstylists? I now go once a week for a shampoo & style (due to back issues). She does a great job. But, that hairdryer is one hot source of air that can really hurt. Same thing with my color/cut stylist.  When it gets too awful, I yelp and they apologize. Is it necessary for hair dryers to run at such a high degree of heat?

Do you mean one of the hood hair dryers?  Or a handheld one?  If the latter, you can get one with a cold air setting.  Back when I was having terrible hot flashes, I purchased a handheld dryer with a cold air setting, which was wonderful.  I actually brought it with me to the salon, but my stylist told me the handheld dryer she used had a cold air setting.  If it's a hood dryer, it should have different temperature settings, so your stylist should be able to adjust it.    

There were several times when I was in for my regular cut & color that I would ask my stylist to use cold water as she rinsed my hair.  She was so hesitant the first time but I assured her I wanted/needed it. It was wonderful relief when I was  having a really bad day of hot flashes.  If only I could have walked around the office looking like a drowned rat; I would have been doing it hourly.  

• Like 2
On 4/30/2024 at 10:43 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Today's peeve:  I blame only myself.

I ordered two bags of Peet's coffee from Amazon, and I mistakenly ordered whole beans instead of ground.   Grr.

Since I own a grinder (not used in years), I'll suffer through the next few weeks of grinding instead of trying to return the order. 

I did this too!  I ordered coffee from Nuts.com, who were having a "free shipping for $29 spent" sale, in such a rush that you guessed it, I ordered beans instead of ground.  I tried using a hand grinder with them and it hurt my hand so I went ahead and got a re-chargeable (by USB) grinder from Amazon and went ahead and ground them all.  It does taste good but I am just too lazy and groggy to grind beans when I first wake up.

Second and related somewhat to Nuts.com - ever since my crown fell out I have had to lay off eating nuts which I normally have with dinner.  My dentist did a great job of temporarily cementing the loose crown, but I have to go back to him to have a new temp put on next week and it will probably be another 2 weeks after that to get the permanent one.  I do miss my crunchy nuts, oh well.  At least it doesn't hurt.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, roseha said:

Second and related somewhat to Nuts.com - ever since my crown fell out I have had to lay off eating nuts which I normally have with dinner.  My dentist did a great job of temporarily cementing the loose crown, but I have to go back to him to have a new temp put on next week and it will probably be another 2 weeks after that to get the permanent one.  I do miss my crunchy nuts, oh well.  At least it doesn't hurt.

Can you chew the nuts on the other side of your mouth?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't let them dry my hair. I go home with it wet and style it myself with a comb and a little hairspray. Then I brush it out once it's dry.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Today's peeve: the smell of marijuana.  Yuck.  I know it's legal.  I don't care. I am sick of smelling it, it seems like almost every where I go.  Including in a hospital corridor yesterday.  My husband suggested it was being smoked outside and being carried into the hospital through the ventilation system.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, Dimity said:

Today's peeve: the smell of marijuana.  Yuck.  I know it's legal.  I don't care. I am sick of smelling it, it seems like almost every where I go.  Including in a hospital corridor yesterday.  My husband suggested it was being smoked outside and being carried into the hospital through the ventilation system.  

It's not legal where I live but the authorities have been turning a blind eye to those using it for awhile now.  I honestly don't care if smoke it, and would partake of it myself if it were legal; but I have to drive on the clock too much to risk it with the absolute idiots on the road.  I just wished the people who do partake of it did it in a well ventilated place after running all of their errands for the day.  Please stop hotboxing in your car before heading over to the library, thanks.  The worst part is the loose change they keep in their car reeks of it.  Then they use that change to pay for their printouts.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I just wished the people who do partake of it did it in a well ventilated place after running all of their errands for the day.

Even well ventilated places reek now.  Stand outside almost any store, restaurant or place of business and there is "an aroma".  That can't be just because some random person happened to stop there.  Employees are replacing their cigarette/vape break with pot.  Nothing to worry about there...

• Mind Blown 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Can you chew the nuts on the other side of your mouth?

Yes I could but I'm just trying to be cautious.  The dentist actually told me I could eat normally (I'm still on the re-attached old crown right now) but he did say not to wait too long to get it fixed.  I have eaten some other crunchier foods on the other side of my mouth but nuts pretty much have to be well chewed.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Calvada said:

Do you mean one of the hood hair dryers?  Or a handheld one?  If the latter, you can get one with a cold air setting.  Back when I was having terrible hot flashes, I purchased a handheld dryer with a cold air setting, which was wonderful.  I actually brought it with me to the salon, but my stylist told me the handheld dryer she used had a cold air setting.  If it's a hood dryer, it should have different temperature settings, so your stylist should be able to adjust it.    

Handheld dryer. I think I'm going to ask if the hairdryer has to be so OTT hot. I've actually yelled "ow" when the hot air hits my ear or neck. Sheesh...the price of beauty 😁

• Like 1