Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: The Debate

As of last night, my Comcast service had listed two episodes of Madam Secretary for this Sunday and no TGW.  Has that changed?  It seemed odd to have one new week of TGW then no new episode, but the GGs on are at the same time this Sunday...

I am finally glad, someone, SOMEONE, called Alicia on making the decision to run for SA without consulting her partners. Even, more glad it was Diane. And what was Alicia even talking about at the end?! If she were a man they wouldn't ask why she is still in the race?! What?! Diane's point was valid. Alicia articulated two reasons (Castro and Cary) that were motivating her to run for an office, that she said she didn't even want initially. Now that those two reasons are now moot, it is totally valid to ask why she was still doing it. Am I supposed to be actively hating Alicia now? Is that what the show is going for? Cause I got to tell ya, of the two, I liked Peter better tonight. (even though I hate Ramona and that storyline). And I think I might want Niles to win (I can't remmber his name on the show). And I loooooved Nora calling out Eli! Loooooved it. I too have been given the "compliment" of not being "like the others". And people really do think they are giving you a compliment. 

Anyway, that whole little self-righteous snit at the end of Alicia was a major WTF for me.

• Love 16

I thought we saw the governor and his sidepiece break up several weeks ago. Whatever, are we to assume that he not only quit her tonight, he also fired her?

Boy Alicia was really grasping for straws. Sexism? Bet things are gonna ugly if she doesn't win.

• Love 3

Good episode tonight. So when Alicia was telling John that the kiss meant nothing and she has no feelings for him, when he looked at her...was he basically saying that he does have feelings for her? I hope so because I can't do Peter/Alicia revisited again. 

• Love 2

TGW is on right now and my cable says this episode is new but its an old epi with Josh. WTF?! Anyone else??

I have the same problem. I checked my cable guide, and my CBS station is showing another episode of the Good Wife at 12:35am and that one is supposed to be the rerun episode that they are showing now. It seems they may have mixed up the episodes? I set my DVR to record the 12:35am one just in case that's what happened - otherwise I guess I'll have to try to catch it on demand.

I'm glad someone at the office finally brought up Alicia's running for SA.  It sure took long enough. 

I'm glad Cary got some screen time working as a lawyer in his own firm.  It's too bad they lost Chum Hum and got David Lee.  I like David Lee, but I'd rather see him using his sneaky wiles on behalf of clients than against the partners.  I hope they stay off major internal firm warfare for a while.

• Love 1

So I'm a bit torn. I am glad to have David Lee back (I missed him more than I knew), but I am left wondering,what was the point of the whole leaving Lockhart Gardner and starting a new firm, if the whole thing was just going to end back up at the Lockhart Gardner offices and most of the Lockhart Gardner staff and the Lockhart of Lockhart Gardner back as a partner? Don't get me wrong, the fall out from the firm split was an awesome story. "Hitting The Fan" maybe one of the best hours of TV drama i have seen in a long time. It was all great. But it seems like the writers maybe didn't think through what happened after all of the dust settled. So through a series of contrivances they have basically reset the whole thing back to here it was. Differences: Will is gone and Cary and Alicia are partners. But Alicia was already a partner (but not a name partner) and Cary was on track for it. So, what was the point? That's kind of what the episode left me saying. What was the point? Of any of it? And I'm afraid that is what they maybe doing with this campaign story line. Someone thought it was a good idea to make Alicia a candidate (and there are have been some interesting episodes we've gotten from it) but have they thought through end point? If she wins, what she leaves the firm she just founded? If she loses, then what was the point (unless it prompts some sort of internal or personal crisis or soul searching.) 

• Love 11

And I think I might want Niles to win (I can't remember his name on the show).

I love how you call him Niles.  I call him that too.

That's all I care to comment on.  That's how boring this episode was.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

All I can say is that whatever bad thing Alicia is for losing her temper at the end of the episode, I must be too, because I can totally understand where she's coming from. Unfortunately David Lee was the source of the information, which started things off badly. And then to have Cary and Diane so completely dismiss her right to a voice about hiring someone who's proven so controversial. The way they teamed up against her gave me playground flashbacks. Given the way she'd expended such emotional energy on Cary's trial - it must have felt like a betrayal. I understand that it may have been prompted somewhat by her hiring of previous partners, but its a pretty abrupt about-face in attitude on his part.  And to ask why she's still running? In my opinion she's right; it is hard to imagine them asking a man the same question.

On the bright side, this seems to have been just what she needed to be super-focussed on her SA run.  I'll be interested to see what sort of different energy this brings to the campaign. 

• Love 4
That's now boring this episode was.

No kidding. The only interesting parts of this whole epi to me were Diane asking Alicia why she is still running for SA, and the Chum Hum storyline. Which was an afterthought at best. I really hate the direction this show has taken, from Alicia running for SA, to all of the cameos of real life politicans and now newspeople. If I want to watch current events, I watch the news. I watch a fictional show to escape from real life. I was hoping with the Cary storyline seemingly wrapped up they could at least get back to quirky clients and cases. I guess not.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 5

I love cheating Peter more than Alicia, he was great tonight.  Alicia was awful, she has no problem adding partners without Cary's approval (hello Diane) yet when Diane and Cary do it then she needs a say and it's behind her back. When Cary had that same argument, Alicia still went ahead. Also loved Diane pointing out that Alicia is going to leave the firm and asking her why she's still in the race. Alicia's response about being a man doesn't even make sense.

• Love 11

Alicia can go suck an egg. She's been mentally, emotionally, and physically absent from her own firm for months, and even when she was around she was totally railroading Cary and going against his expressed wishes. She's the one who brought Diane in, totally disregarding Cary's warnings that they were diluting their power and leaving themselves open to being co-opted. She ignored him because she assumed she would be in the driver's seat, as the "middle man" between Cary and Diane. The fact that she was wrong about that and now she's the one on the outside looking in is simply poetic justice. In my opinion.

• Love 20

I wish I could see into the writers' heads to know if the "if she were a man" business was meant to be Alicia being unreasonable or if they were actually trying to make a social commentary. I just don't get why they even went there.

• Love 9

I liked the debate in the kitchen, their dynamic of lovely, being naughty and ignoring advice. But I'm afraid the show will ruin that and replace it with "drama". But the bit at the end was off base, it's like the writers don't even know what to do with Alicia. Also, after all that effort, we are back at LG offices with LG partners, including Howard Lyman.

• Love 2

So when Alicia was telling John that the kiss meant nothing and she has no feelings for him, when he looked at her...was he basically saying that he does have feelings for her?

I thought it was more about Alicia realizing she sounded exactly like Peter with the "it means nothing" line.

I thought we saw the governor and his sidepiece break up several weeks ago.

"sidepiece"....Of course. Let's reduce the middle-aged woman reentering the workforce as a lawyer in a professional position, entering into an age-appropriate relationship with a separated man to a "sidepiece".  Sigh, blerg, whatever.

And what was Alicia even talking about at the end?! If she were a man they wouldn't ask why she is still in the race?! What?! Diane's point was valid. Alicia articulated two reasons (Castro and Cary) that were motivating her to run for an office, that she said she didn't even want initially.

I think that is the first moment I've liked Alicia in a quite awhile.  She was just screaming at the wrong people and saying all of the wrong things and then, when spouting out all the wrong things in anger happened to finish by yelling the truth:  that she wants this job and thinks she is the best for it.  She thinks that, she wants the job, she's just hidden behind all these bullshit rationales all this way because she couldn't/wouldn't say that outloud until now. She should have led with that.  I'm not sure she's past the martyr phase yet, but she's getting closer.  I like that she's running out of excuses other than "I want it".  If she had led with that, well, who knows what I'd think at this point.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 5

I agree with the people above me who are asking what the point of starting a new firm was? FA has become LG in every way except for Will. Same offices, same staff, same investigator (did we ever find out where Robin ran off to?), same clients and same problems. As fas as I can tell, the firm has 20 partners and no associates. About a dozen staff left with Cary and Alicia, add Clarke who I miss dearly, Diane brought over Taye Diggs and six more, plus Howard and David Lee. How are they surviving financially? Plus, for all the things revealed to Alicia in that strange sexism fight, no one told her they lost Chum Hum. Now they don't have Chum Hum, they don't have Bishop. How are they paying their bills?

Honestly, I think the writers have forgotten that FA isn't LG. The way that Diane and Cary were talking to David Lee about "not being happy since he left" and about "coming back." That's not what happened!

I did really like everything going on in Peter's storyline tonight, which doesn't happen often for me. Nora was lifegiving the way she called Eli out over and over again. I thought the scene in the car between Peter and Pastor Isaiah was so well done. Both actors really brought it. As for Peter and Ramona, I'm pretty sure firing someone because you got caught having sex with them is not okay but that's never stopped Peter so I'm not at all surprised by it.

• Love 7

I have found lately my love for Eli has been transferred from him to his daughter. I think the best line of the night was her response to them speculating that Peter had broke things off with Ramona two weeks ago. When she said something like yeah stuck it in and broke it off, well said.

Bye Ramona indeed, don't let the car door hit you in the ass. Can't believe she saw no issue, or problem sleeping with the married governor, who is married to her supposed friend Alicia. I guess that's the lawyer in her!

I don't necessarily want Alicia to win SA, but I wouldn't mind campaign guy hanging around. I like him and he is easy on the eyes.

It was nice to see Alicia get a taste of her own medicine. Keep your ass in the office and you might know what the hell is happening and why. Also realized I missed David Lee and him being insufferable and snarky.

Off subject did anyone see Christine Baranski in her Golden Globes dress, gorgeous and classy as always!

• Love 1
"sidepiece"....Of course. Let's reduce the middle-aged woman reentering the workforce as a lawyer in a professional position, entering into an age-appropriate relationship with a separated man to a "sidepiece". 

Yes, let's. Separated or no, he's putting himself out there publicly as married and legally he is married. IMO, her age and professional status have nothing to do with it. Look how easily she was dismissed because their relationship cast a negative pall on his wife's candidacy. Peter didn't really value her--certainly not above the political optics--and for all intents and purposes she was his dispensable piece on the side on a long list of pieces on the side. Why any woman gets involved with that well-established pig except for purely mercenary reasons is the perhaps the bigger issue.

As for Peter and Ramona, I'm pretty sure firing someone because you got caught having sex with them is not okay but that's never stopped Peter so I'm not at all surprised by it.

It's unclear to me whether he fired her. He's gotta know (as well would she) that it's a sexual harassment suit waiting to happen if he did. I think that given their history he was dumb to hire her, dumber to have an affair with her, and now maybe dumber to have summarily dropped her because it's hurting his wife's campaign.

• Love 8

Oh drats. Defining sIdepieces is hard! I guess I'm happy that at least we say that now over other words? Sigh. And sigh again. I'm most disappointed that now i must view Wil as such. What was he thinking?! With all the what not and such, he must have had an angle, cause otherwise why would he be with a married woman. Cause, you know...just a sIdepiece.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

Given the way she'd expended such emotional energy on Cary's trial - it must have felt like a betrayal. I understand that it may have been prompted somewhat by her hiring of previous partners, but its a pretty abrupt about-face in attitude on his part.  And to ask why she's still running? In my opinion she's right; it is hard to imagine them asking a man the same question.

Emotional energy? I'll take your word on it -- because it certainly wasn't physical energy. She has been ABSENT.

Asking why she was running was an extremely relevant question. Alicia has been pulling the martyr act for so long -- she's running for everyone else. Not sure if Diane did it intentionally or not, but it was an important moment to get Alicia to clarify for herself and for everyone else what she's doing and why.

I could be wrong but I'm not sure either Cary or Diane has an issue with her running—they have an issue with her thinking that she's the only one who gets to make unilateral decisions. As we've all pointed out upthread, this is the kind of thing that she did to Cary while his position was compromised. Why she thought she wouldn't get the same treatment is beyond me.

As a proud feminist, I can say without a doubt that if Cary were running for SA, the question would be equally appropriate.

On another note, WTF with Chris Matthews. He would NOT be involved in a debate like this. Does this show really need stunt casting with real-life media/politics people who can't act to save their lives? It's so irritating!

• Love 15

Yeah, where the hell does Alicia get off? How many decisions did she make that went directly against Carey's expressed wishes?

AMEN! It WAS Florrick/Agos. How many names did you add to that chain Alicia WITHOUT consulting Carey? If this season doesn't have her falling from her high horse at some point I don't see me coming back.

• Love 5

I am left wondering,what was the point of the whole leaving Lockhart Gardner and starting a new firm, if the whole thing was just going to end back up at the Lockhart Gardner offices and most of the Lockhart Gardner staff and the Lockhart of Lockhart Gardner back as a partner?

Well, hopefully no more Louis Canning...except in very small doses. 

Overall, I liked how the circumstances over which the main players had thrust upon them (the jury coming back on a racially provocative case, and ChumHum firing FA) made them do things that became essential, and will no doubt have a big effect on the outcome of all the plotlines.

Yes, Peter would have been sunk by the latest infidelities if there hadn't been such a major story breaking...though he also realized he had to handle it as Governor, and we got a glimpse of his own self-loathing there when he said he didn't pray anymore.

And Alicia actually went to her wheelhouse (defending her kids) to get her mojo going in the debate, something she wouldn't have done if the "Peter's infidelities" question hadn't been sprung on her.

And the kitchen debate could have been a lot more offensive...instead, you get the idea that both Prady and Alicia have serious ideas about what they would do with the job. And that in spite of being opponents, they actually like each other. I'm not spoilered and have no idea who wins, but Prady wouldn't be a bad SA, and probably a big step up from Castro.

Also, the thing the show always does well is making former enemies colleagues again: of course they had to get David Lee back, especially when they lost ChumHum. And you know David will work with them again because it suits his interests. And Cary & Diane were of one mind on it (though I suspect their relationship will be deeper and stronger now that Diane got Cary's case dismissed).

And yea, Alicia realized that she both wanted, but couldn't have it all...but she wants to be SA. 

(Also: is Rahm Emanuel the Mayor in the show's Chicago? If so, having him go to New Hampshire, presumably to test the Presidential waters, is an interesting gambit, though not one I think we're likely to see in real life).

(Also: is Rahm Emanuel the Mayor in the show's Chicago? If so, having him go to New Hampshire, presumably to test the Presidential waters, is an interesting gambit, though not one I think we're likely to see in real life).

And not to mention playing him as an absentee mayor in a crisis.  I was kinda amazed they went there with a real life person and one who has a well known temper to boot.  I was thinking that the producers were probably going to get yelled at on the phone today.

I liked almost all the characters last night.  Alicia, Diane, Cary, Eli, Kalinda, etc.

I don't want Alicia to get back together with Peter.  I want her to have an affair with John (her handler).

I liked Alicia admitting she was running because she believed she could win, and wanted to win.  I think Alicia's remark to Diane about how Diane wouldn't have asked that question if Alicia was a man was more about Alicia regretting choices she made when she married Peter, and didn't pursue her career, than it was Diane.

I am tired of the internal battle at the law firm.  It doesn't matter what the law firm is named.  It's the same SL over and over again.  The attorneys don't get along, they try to oust each other or take over, whatever.  It's old, and it needs to stop.

So now they get Chum Hum's ex-wife as a client (with David Lee) correct? But Chum Hum is still gone? Was the point of bringing David Lee back the Chum Hum connection or because they don't want to lose to him again? Was it implied that Lee was going to compromise his case and accept less $ in the settlement?

I think they just needed ready cash because of losing ChumHum and Neil Gross personally as clients.  David Lee brings in a lot of money, he's a known quantity, and they were picking up hints that he was unhappy.  Evan had lost his edge and they needed a stronger family law attorney.

I don't believe they expected him to change the settlement, but rather if he's in with them and wins, it's a win for them.  I think it was just a right place/right time matter of convenience versus a strategic plan.

• Love 2

Why is Matt Czuchry sooo skinny?  He looks awful.  Is he ill or did he drop weight for his "facing prison for a long time" story line (or maybe another role)?  I get in real life a person might lose weight or look unhealthy due to such stress, but I didn't think a CBS drama would garner such method acting preparedness.  Bottom line, I hope the actor is well IRL.

I laughed out loud at Alicia's indignation re. partners making decisions without her. HA!  Between them I don't think there are enough fingers to count the times Alicia left Cary out of the loop. The sexism thing was kinda out of left field for me too.  Sure, she was upset about a ton of shit that went down that day, but I think lashing out at Diane about sexism in the political arena was not really on track.

• Love 3

I whooped out loud when Diane asked Alicia point blank why she is still in this race since Castro is no longer a threat and Cary is free.  My cats all scattered from my hell yeah moment.  It would have been so easy for Diane to tell Alicia that they made this decision b/c their family law guy cost them ChumHum in the end, but I was glad that was a discussion for another time.  Who is Alicia to talk about two named partners making a decision b/c she is no longer around anymore when she unilaterially decided to bring Diane on board when Cary was against it.

I'm guessing David Lee will be a named partner now, so it will be Florrick, Agos, Lockhart, & Lee.  I can't imagine he would end up saying he wanted Alicia's office, that would just be wrong.  

Do you think that Diane and Cary will vote Alicia out?  They have good reason seeing as she isn't even involved at the firm anymore about 95% it seems.  It would be rich if now Canning comes after Alicia, he has always wanted her on his side.  

I have a feeling that the next time we see Canning it will be at his funeral.

I kept hearing last night how it was a crime that JM didn't win the GG last night, and i'm thinking are they even watching the same show?  I watch this show for everyone but Alicia.

I do think that Prady will win, and I think the clincher will be Prady's group leaking or coming outright during the debates that Lemond Bishop is her majority backer of funds for her run for State's Attorney and it will sink her.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 9
I have a feeling that the next time we see Canning it will be at his funeral.

I kept hearing last night how it was a crime that JM didn't win the GG last night, and i'm thinking are they even watching the same show?  I watch this show for everyone but Alicia.

oh god, I could totally see Canning being the guy who stages his own funeral and pops out of the casket with some weird outburst.

And while I certainly don't think JM was robbed, it's the character I don't like. The actor is still extremely talented, IMO.

• Love 1

Why is Matt Czuchry sooo skinny?  He looks awful.  Is he ill or did he drop weight for his "facing prison for a long time" story line (or maybe another role)?  I get in real life a person might lose weight or look unhealthy due to such stress, but I didn't think a CBS drama would garner such method acting preparedness.  Bottom line, I hope the actor is well IRL.

He's fine; he started dropping wait as soon as he heard about the "arrest", to show the stress Cary was under. MC is pretty well regarded as a hard worker.

• Love 1

David Lee brings in a lot of money,

He's always been rainmaker with a highly lucrative family law practice...it's why everyone puts up with his bullshit, because people will ALWAYS get divorced, and David Lee will always find a way to make the most money out of it. And, when he wants to, he can get along fine with people. If there's no reason to torment Diane and/or Cary, then he won't.

I hate that the writers don't even care that this is supposed to be Chicago.  The CBS affiliate here is WBBM, Channel 2.  They had Channel 8 and some call letters I didn't even bother to remember. 

When I start "facebooking" through a show - its just a matter of time before its off "records series" mode.  My Sunday DVR is a mess as it....I sure can use the time to let another program in....js

• Love 1

JM may be very talented, i've been a fan since "er," but the fact that she is dictating who her character can and can't interact w/on the show b/c she feels it wouldn't make sense due to past storylines really gets my blood boiling.  I mean what number are we up to on episodes since Alicia and Kalinda haven't interacted or been in the same room.

I was shocked when we saw that Diane and Cary were actually watching Alicia in the debate b/c there is such a schism in the show now there is the Alicia running for State's Attorney storyline and then everyone else, it just seems they rarely interact other than Alicia talking on the phone to Diane, like in this episode.  Hell, Diane seemed pissed that Alicia was calling her about the Neil Gross issue.  I've said it in other threads and i'll say it again, there seems to be some bad blood on the show now and it really leads me to believe that JM thinks she is above everyone else and that's why there is said schism b/t Alicia and everyone else.

If Alicia does happen to win her run for State's Attorney it really makes me wonder if the show will be revamped next season and 90% of the focus will be on Alicia in her new job.  I'm watching the show these days for everyone but Alicia.

The fact that Alicia has had no contact, nor have we had any other scenes w/her son Zack since she told/wrote him off after finding out about his involvement in his girlfriends abortion says all we need to know about Alicia's character at this point.  Makes me wonder if JM has and issue w/the actor that plays Zack, and yes I know he is actually attending college in real life.

• Love 6
Do you think that Diane and Cary will vote Alicia out?

If she wins the election, she has to be out.  Huge conflict of interest, otherwise, plus she won't be doing anything at the firm anymore, so why should she share in the profits as partner?

If she doesn't win, I don't see them voting her out, but she obviously would need to get her head back in the game at that point as an actual lawyer.

...So when Alicia was telling John that the kiss meant nothing and she has no feelings for him, when he looked at her...was he basically saying that he does have feelings for her?...

That's how I interpreted it.

As of last night, my Comcast service had listed two episodes of Madam Secretary for this Sunday and no TGW. Has that changed? It seemed odd to have one new week of TGW then no new episode, but the GGs on are at the same time this Sunday...

TGW is on right now and my cable says this episode is new but its an old epi with Josh. WTF?! Anyone else??

The new episode, "The Debate," was live over-air in Chicago suburbs, but it had a couple of black screens with white text near the beginning to clarify that the episode had be shot before the the Ferguson verdict (I think?) and possibly before the Brown shooting in NYC. But I have a terrible memory and an upset stomach, so maybe someone else can correct the specifics of the text shown. Anyway, I'm guessing maybe some stations or cable services didn't show it either because it was considered insensitive or maybe even a legal liability in the light of the recent shootings and verdicts (not to mention the cop killings in NYC). Or maybe some of the broadcasters didn't have access to the version with the added text and couldn't show it without that? Edited by shapeshifter

I know that it almost makes sense how it all happened (cary and alicia leaving to start their own firm etc) but I did have that moment of WTF when with the David Lee addition at the end it just seemed like it came full circle and we were right back where we started.  Literally in the same offices.  I know the named partners are different and dynamics have changed a bit but boy that seemed tidy.

Totally glad that Diane called out Alicia on running despite Castro dropping out.  Maybe the writers were willing to commit to Alicia saying she wanted to win thus propelling her forward TO win.  Anyone know how long David Hyde Pierce's arc is supposed to be?  The only good thing about this is that at least we'd have a show split with the "lawyer storylines" sans Alicia/ripped from the headlines and then the "alicia as state's attorney" storylines and the various crossovers.

Grace has really aged!  She looked very pretty last night.  Not sure if there is much room for the kids' storylines though.  This show is packed.  It's probably a good idea Kalinda is leaving in whatever form they choose to write her off.  There are too many characters here that aren't getting enough juice and we can't continue to have main characters who can't be seen onscreen unless they are green screened.  LOL.

• Love 2

About Chris Matthews moderating the debate...it's such a slap in the face to Chicago media people like Carol Marin, Bill Kurtis et. al. who should've been asked to cameo as the moderator. Also, the call letters situation bothered me so much.

As a Chicagoan, I am irritated every week at how bad this show depicts Chicago. The fact that they don't shoot the show here (see Chicago Fire and PD make the Good Wife look so ridiculous in this regard since they shoot here) is glaringly obvious. Do they not have anyone from Chicago on their production staff that can vet this stuff?

Even Shameless gets the city better and that's all down to them shooting the exteriors here and having Joan Cusack (long-time Chicago resident) on the show causes them to do a better job.

I think Graham Phillips who played Zach wanted to concentrate on college full-time (he goes to Princeton University). Mackenzie Vega who plays Grace goes to NYU and is majoring in neuroscience so maybe since her college is closer she can appear on the show occasionally whereas it would be harder for Graham to do so.

Grace did look more mature last night. Mackenzie is 20 BTW.

ETA: Our states attorney Anita Alvarez is pretty badass (she also was made an honorary lesbian by the Chicago sapphic community) and gender or race never entered into the equation during either of her campaigns.

• Love 8

While I didn't love the way it came about, I'm beyond glad that Alicia finally has an answer to the "Why are you running?" questioning? That's been dogging her all season, and that she can admit that she wants to win is a really great step.

That being said, her ire at Diane and Carey for making a decision without her was beyond laughable. As many others have pointed out, she made a number of unilateral decisions, including hiring Diane, as well as running for S.A. without telling her partners. I don't know if we're supposed to be happy that she's finally fired up about the race, but she came across very badly in yelling at Diane. You may be the Good Wife, but Diane is the HBIC, and you won't win anyone over by fucking with her.

I'm also really tired of Alicia's protectiveness of her children. I understand that it's very realistic that a parent would want to shield their children, but after 5 seasons it's not interesting to watch anymore. Again, I imaged we're supposed to applaud her getting fired up and her head in the game, but it might be nice if she could focus because there's a debate happening, and all of the many, many people who are apparently invested in this S.A.'s race deserve to know what she stands for, and Prady deserves an engaged opponent. But, instead, we got Grizzly Mama antics, again.

Overall, I feel like this season has been suffering from an inability to really see its characters clearly. I feel like it's moving toward latter-day Hathaway, or present-stage Olivia Benson, where we're supposed to root for the ladies that we've always rooted for, because we've always rooted for them, and just ignore that their present behavior is just self-righteous claptrap.

• Love 7