Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: The Debate

I am hoping that Peter and Ramona reunite. There certainly seems to be some real feelings between them, more than I have seen with Peter and Alicia - maybe ever. They are a much hotter couple that Peter and Alicia

This! +1000!!!

:)

Peter and Ramona become an official couple, Alicia runs for president as a divorced mother with a boyfriend (in season 8 or something).

The kitchen debate was a nice touch, and with real people rather than moderators. The multiple perspectives on the riot were great, as well as Nora's discussion with Eli.

I love Eli's daughter, I hope she sticks around.

I don't think Alicia will win this time, but there'll be another run, and she'll win that one. I don't know if I want her to win right away, especially since she doesn't seem to have much of a platform and this episode is the first time ever she tried to articulate why she's running - thanks to Diane.

I was extremely glad someone (well, Diane), called Alicia on deciding to run dfor SA right after creating a new firm AND while her partner was being sued. I like fiery Alicia but that "you wouldn't say that if I were a man"... that can be true, but not here: ANY name partner that creates a firm then decides to run for office, basically leaving the firm to fend for itself, would have to be called on his/her behavior. And while it's true the "why are you running" is asked in a certain way to women (often implying "why aren't you giving up?") rather than men ("we know you have legitimate reasons, let us know what they are"...) I think Alicia needs to work through the question seriously.

Finally, I like Finn because he's a good guy, I see him as friends to Alicia and I think it's nice there's no insta-love but a friendship, first. Johnny? I don't know, we don't know enough, but a relationship with a handler would be all kinds of wrong. Most of all I hope they don't create a new triangle between Alicia, Johnny the handler, and Finn the good guy.

JM representing Alicia realizing she'd talked just like Peter (it means nothing, etc.) was excellent.

I think that this episode is a watershed moment for Alicia, that will have ripple effects in upcoming episodes.

Edited by MYOS
  • Love 7
I was pretty bored but then I've pretty much detested her running for office from the beginning; I liked the first few years and all the actual legal cases and strategies. 

I feel like this show was so good last year and this year it's just.....not.  The election storyline is taking away from the law firm stuff, and that is the most interesting thing.  It also is totally un-doing everything they spent last year doing.  What was the point?

The kitchen debate was interesting

It looked like someone was filming that debate on their phone, and I am going to assume that ends up and online at some point and impact the election.

• Love 1

So, one thing that bugged the heck out of me was there was never a riot, but everyone referred to a large number of black people protesting as a riot. I have seen bigger scenes and actual riots of mostly white students and fans of college sports teams winning a championship.

I am also waiting for the wife, mother, or specified loved one in one of these cases to say something to the effect of "This is not the time to break things because that's what they expect you to do. They brought me here to talk you down because the belief is that you are too emotionally immature to peacefully assemble and demonstrate. Give them nothing but pictures of armed police with tear gas and clubs against silent marchers. Thank you and good night."

• Love 4

Alicia's behavior and distraction at the beginning of the debate would railroad her loss in my opinion.  The fact that she was furiously trying to get that pen to work was insane and looked that way, so I can't imagine what the audience thought in studio, and in the long shots that were broadcast on tv.  I wouldn't vote for her based on how stupid she looked at that moment.  The fact that she was off her game b/c of the countdown clock and brief answer time I could see past, but the insane tape picking and pen scribbling...nope.

• Love 4
It looked like someone was filming that debate on their phone, and I am going to assume that ends up and online at some point and impact the election.

Someone was filming with their phone, then was told to stop by some assistant (sorry, I don't really watch this show) when his employer was losing in the kitchen debate - then told "Oh, go ahead and film" when the tide had turned - so you're probably right.

So, one thing that bugged the heck out of me was there was never a riot, but everyone referred to a large number of black people protesting as a riot.

Well, fwiw, when Eli used the word "riot" while he was on the phone in the car, his black employee Nora? had a great exchange, with her basically calling him out on it, and his mildly guilty response. It was a very brief but effective bit.

• Love 2

Here's an idea:  Diane is married now.  So let's make her the Good Wife!  Because she's a wife, and she's good...that works right? Give us more Gary Cole, no more Alicia, and we're all happier.

• Love 11

I fear that they are setting this up so Alicia wins and becomes the SA, now opposing her buds in her prior firm. I don't think I can stick around to see that. Nor do I like David Lee, and would have been fine if he was part of another firm and we hardly saw him. He is so smug and smarmy - totally un-likable.  

• Love 1

Hey, all,

We're getting off-topic here.  I appreciate that this is a political/current events show, so conversations are going to arise from that, but let's try to keep it tied to the episode, please.

Thanks in advance!

• Love 3

I'd like to see Finn back. I don't understand why some people have been claiming Alicia and Elfman should jump into bed because they being together are "hot". Even if we count him sharing a victorious kiss with Alicia and then being coy as "hot" (which I seriously doubt), we can't ignore his bland character depicted so far.

To me, Elfman is a total stranger, and we know nothing about him, so if Alicia needs a fling he might work, but be in a real relationship for a complex character like Alicia? It doesn't make any sense to throw Alicia to him all of a sudden.

Edited by bbutter
  • Love 2

I always thought Diane represented the road not traveled by Alicia.  Diane is a successful, self-made, intelligent woman, who is now happily married, and has handled some very difficult situations with a lot of dignity.

Alicia is floundering around trying to find herself and develop a career after spending most of her life in her husband's now tarnished shadow.

I hope Bishop makes some more appearances soon.

• Love 4

I like Finn because he is a good friend to Alicia and he's clearly a good guy.

I miss Will, but Finn is so different from Will he's not just "not Will", so I think it's good.
He's a bit young-ish looking though.

I also liked Ramona and Peter, more chemistry and more actual relationship than with Alicia.

Alicia shouting sexism at Diane was... far out. I hope she returns to her firm, because right

now it's Agos-Lockhart...!

Edited by MYOS
  • Love 2

Why WOULD Finn, who is just out of a bad marriage, want to go into a (necessarily) secret relationship with a public figure? More likely, he'd prefer to date someone SINGLE and not a colleague. I can see them throwing the Elfman thing in there because he's at hand, cute, and it's in HIS best interest, if he wants a fling with Alicia, to keep it very much on the down low.

• Love 2

Why WOULD Finn, who is just out of a bad marriage, want to go into a (necessarily) secret relationship with a public figure? More likely, he'd prefer to date someone SINGLE and not a colleague. I can see them throwing the Elfman thing in there because he's at hand, cute, and it's in HIS best interest, if he wants a fling with Alicia, to keep it very much on the down low.

Because Alicia has the leading role halo? LOL.

On the other hand, being together with the handler would be a huge mistake for any public figure, and even after the campaign this sort of thing will still be talked about and affect future runs. So my guess Elfman is just to spice things up a bit for the audience before Finn and Alicia can develop a real relationship after the SA race.

I like Finn because he is a good friend to Alicia and he's clearly a good guy.

I miss Will, but Finn is so different from Will he's not just "not Will", so I think it's good.

He's a bit young-ish looking though.

I also liked Ramona and Peter, more chemistry and more actual relationship than with Alicia.

Alicia shouting sexism at Diane was... far out. I hope she returns to her firm, because right

now it's Agos-Lockhart...!

I felt Finn is a bit young for Alicia, but then I saw how young Elfman is, I don't hold that against Finn any more... Finn seems to be in his early 40s, divorced with a son, but Elfman is more likely to be in the 30s the way they depicted him?

I was talking about this show with a friend tonight, and she says Alicia has Mary Crawley syndrome. As in, every age-appropriate, single man who comes on the show seems to be fascinated with her. Even though she's cold, distant, and weighed down with more baggage than a 747 (unlike thousands of other beautiful and AVAILABLE women in Chicago). Finn, Peter, Johnny, and Will (R.I.P.) would all be considered catches by any measure, and yet they all pine for Alicia to varying levels.

I could understand if the campaign manager got turned on by her parking garage kiss, or felt uncomfortable with her afterward, but we're supposed to believe he has actual feelings for her? Based on what? Her ability to pick a wine? The way she wears a suit? Have they ever had a single personal conversation ever? Gah!

• Love 7

I was talking about this show with a friend tonight, and she says Alicia has Mary Crawley syndrome. As in, every age-appropriate, single man who comes on the show seems to be fascinated with her. Even though she's cold, distant, and weighed down with more baggage than a 747 (unlike thousands of other beautiful and AVAILABLE women in Chicago). Finn, Peter, Johnny, and Will (R.I.P.) would all be considered catches by any measure, and yet they all pine for Alicia to varying levels.

I could understand if the campaign manager got turned on by her parking garage kiss, or felt uncomfortable with her afterward, but we're supposed to believe he has actual feelings for her? Based on what? Her ability to pick a wine? The way she wears a suit? Have they ever had a single personal conversation ever? Gah!

I don't like the "everyone loves Alicia" plots either, I want to see how adults are dealing with their feelings and relationships as they should be.

For this Elfman case I think it's just a transient crush for him, as his work requires him to think and act on behalf of the candidate all the time. And it will be gone after the campaign is over if it hasn't already. It will be a complete joke if it turns into a secret love sort of thing for the long term. I hate this type of "CP" coming from nowhere.

• Love 1

I was talking about this show with a friend tonight, and she says Alicia has Mary Crawley syndrome. As in, every age-appropriate, single man who comes on the show seems to be fascinated with her. Even though she's cold, distant, and weighed down with more baggage than a 747 (unlike thousands of other beautiful and AVAILABLE women in Chicago).

How funny and interesting given the current Matthew Goode situation!

The Elfmann thing seems so out of left field. I guess I could buy it if there had been a transition scene of some kind with Finn that truly friendzoned him. Instead, the show jumped from the cute diner segment and the flirty debate moment to wham! she's kissing Elfmann and he's now making goo goo eyes at her. I felt like I had been had by the writers.

I've been actively hating Alicia for some time now. But I remember coming to this board and seeing the opinions divided: half of the posters liked her, half of them disliked her. Now it seems like at least 90% of the posters hate her almost as much as I do.

God job, writers!

• Love 3

Nice to know that "Status Quo is God" - there's a Florrrick about to be in the SA's office, Lockhart Gardner are (mostly) back in their offices and David Lee is apparently the only lawyer capable of running a profitable business. Diane was absolutely right to point out that Alicia can hardly complain about her partners making decisions without her when it was exactly what she was doing last week. And as for leaving - I doubt Alicia needs to worry about leaving the firm: with the loss of its two biggest clients they soon won't exist.

Boundary  I liked the debate in the kitchen, their dynamic of lovely, being naughty and ignoring advice.

It was probably the highlight of that whole plotline (though it reminded me of The West Wing's similar episode - though that was a debate that people really would be watching). However, you have to wonder why all political handlers are apparently completely incompetent in that they set up situations which their appointees then ignore. And on the subject of political incompetence:

Texasmom1970  I have found lately my love for Eli has been transferred from him to his daughter.

Yeah, she's a real breath of fresh air. And as the son of a (very minor) politician, I liked her comment that she was "Actually thinking about voting for [Alicia]!" because too often people just assume children share their parents' views.

Kel Varnsen I wouldn't be too surprised if the firm tracks down and hires Will's long lost identical twin brother "Bill Gardner" who also happens to be a lawyer.

That would definitely be a challenger for the Soapie's "Greatest Comeback" category. Admittedly (according to Rachel Greene) previous nominees have come back from their own cremation!