Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

As for Slash, I agree that he would have liked to have said more, but was merely being polite and not trying to talk over MLR and AJW and Hardwick, who were constantly talking. Every time Hardwick actually directed a question specifically to Slash, he was ready for it and (more or less) had quality input.

Totally agree with this.  I thought he was well-spoken and obviously a fan of the show.  Loved his answer to the guitar question.

I was never that into Guns & Roses, so I didn't know much about him back then, but I remember forever seeing him in a different light after I found out he was a fan of the show Trading Spaces (yes, I admit I watched that show for a while until it got really ridiculous) and I saw him make a brief guest appearance on that show several years ago.  So I knew there was a little TV fan boy in him, lol, and I wasn't too surprised that he was a good guest!  I wish he had gotten a chance to interact more with Chris!

• Love 4

In my opinion, she was just deflecting/evading/blowing the question off. It was a stupid, off-topic question. It didn't have a damn thing to to with TWD, it was about her and a completely different show she used to be on. Hell, just in general, I'm sure MLR has had quite enough of talking about Jack Bauer at this point. People still probably address her as "Chloe" on a daily basis, which is probably annoying as hell. I'm sure Slash would probably have had a similarly dismissive response to a question about how Axl Rose would get along in the ZA.

Sure it was stupid and off-topic, but it's essentially the same question Hardwick asked Matt Jones last week (something like how would Walter White do in the ZA).

If she's allegedly a comedian now, should could have turned it around and given a more encompassing 24 answer and said something like "First we'd form a perimeter, then the Termites would escape".

• Love 4

While I find the poll questions annoying I thought I was gonna be awesome on the clock one, because, at Walker Stalker con Greg Nicotero said they set the "watches" (hershel's specifically) to the episode number, so when Rick looks at Hershel's in the first  episode it was 5:01 so I figured the clock question would be 5:03 but that wasn't a choice. So I guess clocks aren't easter eggs. 

• Love 2

It should be interesting next week. EK may have to put up a bit of a fight to get focus with John Barrowman and Ana Gasteyer both on the couch...and interacting with CH.

The last time Emily was on she barely spoke (I think that was with JB Smoove). Barrowman loves the sound of his own voice, loves to sing, and grab people, and scream, and remind everyone he has a Scottish accent, and remind everyone how adorable he is. I don't know how much I'm going to enjoy him.

I was a big fan of Ana's on SNL but she's so brittle I'm sort of dreading her on this show too.

If this is another dud then I really hope they reconsider the two "fans" + cast or crew member policy.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

I have to disagree with Slash, he was pretty slick naming two guitars he endorses when the clear choice is the Gene Simmons axe guitar.

Is it just me or did MLR seem kind of horny? I did enjoy her reminding AJW how terrible Gareth actually was.

• Love 1

It would have been so cool to see Bob and Gareth sitting together on the couch, discussing their final episode.  Slash could have stayed, but Mary Lynne didn't really add anything to the panel.

I was just going to say the same thing. I would have liked to have seen both Bob and Gareth there, since it was also Bob's last episode.

I did enjoy MLR's back story of Gareth as a Portland hipster, down to the micro brew and food truck meals.  AJW seemed along for the ride on that one.  And, while it was crude, her comment that her friend said AJW could eat her anytime threw Chris for a loop.  It was funny seeing him blush and have to recover his composure.  It is fairly rare that Chris gets that flustered (not of his own doing, that is).  

• Love 5

Tell me, did I imagine this happening?  AJW was talking about what it was like Andrew Lincoln and the scene where Rick killed Gareth.  I swear that Chris made a side comment to Slash that I took as Slash having done some kind of acting / cameo opposite AL.  At this point I went straight to the idea of Slash doing a stealth zombie cameo in which Rick whacks him.

I googled it and all I found was a picture or AL, Norman Reedus, and Slash at a KISS concert.  So either I'm imaging things or there is some kind of inside joke going on there.

Edited by ParadoxLost

Two things about the annoying guy who played Gareth:    1.   "Moving forward/Going forward"  is a bullshit phrase every half assed team leader in a shitty, abusive call center uses to shut down conversation or act like he knows a "cool"  buzz phrase.   2.   Hipster doofus skinny tie.

Nope, not sexy.   Bob lying there grimacing with a stump and dying with dignity was much sexier.

The dude seemed to be very smug and sarcastic.   Good type casting.   Glad you're dead.   Now go drop off your application at Comcast. 

Tell me, did I imagine this happening?  AJW was talking about what it was like Andrew Lincoln and the scene where Rick killed Gareth.  I swear that Chris made a side comment to Slash that I took as Slash having done some kind of acting / cameo opposite AL.  At this point I went straight to the idea of Slash doing a stealth zombie cameo in which Rick whacks him.

I googled it and all I found was a picture or AL, Norman Reedus, and Slash at a KISS concert.  So either I'm imaging things or there is some kind of inside joke going on there.

You didn't imagine it - I caught that, as well. I immediately thought "Slash had a TWD cameo??? Awesome!", but didn't do any follow up!

I think they were just talking about the idea of a future cameo. A fan asked if Slash would still wear his hat in a cameo, and then Chris Hardwick jumped on the idea of a hat wearing Slash killing walkers with his guitar, and they needed to "make that happen".

At least, thats how i remember it!

• Love 2

No, when AJW was describing how AL prepares and acting/vocal tricks (like moaning?) he did gesture over toward Slash and said something like "Well, you know". It didn't seem like he was referring to MLR, who is an actress and "would know", so maybe Slash has observed/been on set as a fan? I don't know, but I went huh? over that, too. (I believe that happened separately from the whole Slash and his hat on TWD "discussion".)

Edited by indeed
  • Love 1

Finally watched the show, and I enjoyed all the guests.  I'm glad Gareth did a lot talking - the actors from the show are who I want to here the most from.  I didn't find him overly arrogant.  The guy played the number one villain so far this season, and he did it well.  I liked that he did very little defending of his character, and praised Rick a lot.

I enjoyed Chloe from 24.  I don't think she pretended not to know what Jack would do.  She said exactly that - "You know what Jack would do".  Meaning - stupid question, Jack would torture the guy, that's his thing.  I got the impression that she thought the sneak peek was a flashback because the scene was set in what appeared to be a functioning hospital.

• Love 1

No, when AJW was describing how AL prepares and acting/vocal tricks (like moaning?) he did gesture over toward Slash and said something like "Well, you know". It didn't seem like he was referring to MLR, who is an actress and "would know", so maybe Slash has observed/been on set as a fan? I don't know, but I went huh? over that, too. (I believe that happened separately from the whole Slash and his hat on TWD "discussion".)

I'm thinking he visited the set. The concert pictures I came across with AL, MR, and Slash were during a time they were filming.

• Love 2

It should be interesting next week. EK may have to put up a bit of a fight to get focus with John Barrowman and Ana Gasteyer both on the couch...and interacting with CH.

She'd better bring sparklers and a tuba, otherwise she's going to fade back into the wallpaper. Kristen Wiig would have  tough time pulling focus on a couch with Barrowman.

• Love 6

I'm pretty sure Emily Kinney just trolled all of you guys who don't like her singing!!

Well, she does sound like a troll.....

I want Beth to be recast with John Barrowman and Ana Gasteyer on a rotating basis.

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 3

I love John Barrowman pointing out that Maggie doesn't care about Beth at all. 

I rolled my eyes at that mostly because I thought it was a cheap joke for an easy laugh. I'm glad Emily Kinney avoided the easy bashing and tried to stay in the middle about Maggie.

Barrowman wasn't as bad as I thought he might be, but there was still too much of him being in love with the sound of his own voice, and I groaned when he brought up Sarah Palin. No one should be saying her name on TV at this point. Not only does it give her more celebrity, it also brings a lot of hate onto the show and onto the cast, and onto Hardwick, because he decided to make it political for a haha moment that wasn't even funny. If there are any FOX News articles about the evil liberalism of Walking Dead, he's the reason why. 

Ana Gasteyer was amusing enough, so she didn't ruin my memories of her, although she can't seem to move her upper lip. 

I laughed when Gareth won the poll for best leader over Dawn, and by a landslide. I guess a psycho fans want to fuck through the floorboards will always win out.

So I see they are taking my advice about having more cast and crew...and the choices they make are the guys who play Abraham and Eugene.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Love 4

I rolled my eyes at that mostly because I thought it was a cheap joke for an easy laugh. I'm glad Emily Kinney avoided the easy bashing and tried to stay in the middle about Maggie.

Barrowman wasn't as bad as I thought he might be, but there was still too much of him being in love with the sound of his own voice, and I groaned when he brought up Sarah Palin. No one should be saying her name on TV at this point. Not only does it give her more celebrity, it also brings a lot of hate onto the show and onto the cast, and onto Hardwick, because he decided to make it political for a haha moment that wasn't even funny. If there are any FOX News articles about the evil liberalism of Walking Dead, he's the reason why.

Ana Gasteyer was amusing enough, so she didn't ruin my memories of her, although she can't seem to move her upper lip.

I laughed when Gareth won the poll for best leader over Dawn, and by a landslide. I guess a psycho fans want to fuck through the floorboards will always win out.

So I see they are taking my advice about having more cast and crew...and the choices they make are the guys who play Abraham and Eugene.

Be careful what you wish for.

I just wanted to point out how much I disagree with your first statment. It was a joke but it was also something that needs to be talked about. The show has dropped the ball when it comes to the sisters concerning for one another. They should be called out in it.
  • Love 3

I just wanted to point out how much I disagree with your first statment. It was a joke but it was also something that needs to be talked about. The show has dropped the ball when it comes to the sisters concerning for one another. They should be called out in it.

They should be, and they have been, repeatedly. I just tend to cringe when he says it because he's so needy for attention. I have to hear that every time I go on a board, I've heard it on Talking Dead before, and now I get the "look at me!" variation of it. It's one too many.

They should be, and they have been, repeatedly. I just tend to cringe when he says it because he's so needy for attention. I have to hear that every time I go on a board, I've heard it on Talking Dead before, and now I get the "look at me!" variation of it. It's one too many.

well seeing as this is a Beth centric episode, it should be brought up here more than any other episode. I don't recall the topic being brought up much on talking dead and message boards are message boards. Not a big deal to me anyway. Until the show addresses how the girls feel about being separated from each other, people will complain and joke about it.
  • Love 2

They brought it up during Emily and then Lauren's appearances last season, I think, although I might be wrong about Emily.

I do think the show should be called out, but it's just something that starts to feel stale to me when it's overused. Like all the old jokes about Carl and the house. 

Yeah, I fast-forwarded through a lot of this, but I did catch Barrowman's political stuff. Did he really have to bring that to this show? I think it made Hardwick uncomfortable for real.

And about Dawn vs Gareth: she has an advantage as a leader as she isn't EATING PEOPLE!!

• Love 4

I think it should be brought up to Emily especially now, since it's such a glaring thing on the show. Beth being taken, missing, kidnapped and Maggie doesn't say a word. It's just all Glenn, all the time. She even leaves for Washington last episode without a glance or second thought about Beth.  Yet they also asked on TD if Beth would stay or go with Maggie and Emily said go with Maggie.

Emily was too politically correct and nice about Maggie which was eye rolling, not Maggie not caring about Beth being brought up.

• Love 1

I felt like John Barrowman said Beth was becoming a force or people should look out for her about 50 different times, like it was written on his hand. I like Beth so I didn't care, but I hate talking points. 

It's been ages since I saw him on a talk show - never followed him closely - I expected him to be high energy and talk a lot, but I was surprised at how much he rambled and awkwardly cobbled together comments - or repeated himself, like about Beth's awesomeness.

Gasteyer was fine.

I must have nodded off in the final few minutes because I missed the "bonus" clip from next week. Does that get posted to the AMC site?

I must have nodded off in the final few minutes because I missed the "bonus" clip from next week. Does that get posted to the AMC site?

I think it does eventually (or on their Youtube channel) but it was mostly just a flashback (presumably) of Abraham over the corpse of a soldier. I think he was taking a can of food.

• Love 2

I was also annoyed that John Barrowman said Dawn must be jealous of Beth because the men want her. I just did not see that in the episode. The men were raping women. Dawn knew this and there was no suggestion she wanted any part of them sexually. There was also no indication she was jealous of Beth's relationships with the doctor, or Noah. So essentially, ladies must always be jealous of each other because they're ladies.

While I'm complaining, if the whole point of the Beth arc is to show how strong and independent she is, why did Talking Dead run a card saying she was, basically, all from Hershel and Daryl?

• Love 6

John Barrowman just referenced The Execution of Lady Jane Grey...ooh my nerd heart is all aflutter.

I liked the reference; I didn't like that it was used to support his opinion that EK did great acting with her back. I wish Sarah Silverman had been there for that one.

• Love 5

I liked the reference; I didn't like that it was used to support his opinion that EK did great acting with her back. I wish Sarah Silverman had been there for that one.

That was exactly my problem. I mean nobody on that show is as good an actor as he was going on that Emily was in that scene. I think he filled in a lot of gaps in his head there. That, or just really wanted to be a cheerleader for the show.

• Love 3

While I'm complaining, if the whole point of the Beth arc is to show how strong and independent she is, why did Talking Dead run a card saying she was, basically, all from Hershel and Daryl?

Yeah, the writing for the episode really laid it on thick with Beth is a burden, she's not anybody worth anything...whoops! Watch out for Beth, she CAN handle herself! Then TD "trained by Daryl" and is she on the level of Rick like Beth is really some badass. CH was the only one, too, who felt the need to bring up Daryl and Beth multiple times. It didn't sound to me like EK was being all lovey-dovey with mentioning Daryl there, so whatever there, Hardwick.

EK certainly talked a lot and JB for the most part restrained himself (for JB!), but boy, she needs to work on finding her words to get her point and thoughts across. Most of her talking was just kind of clunky. CH had to work a bit there with her.

I hope Carol and Beth do team up and cause trouble! But TD will probably say it's because they're Daryl's ladies.

Edited by indeed
  • Love 1

So in the extra preview we got last night, Abraham is stomping the hell out of some dude. Was it just me, or did the guy look like he had a cop uniform on? BDUs of some sort? He was clearly inside a building. What are the chances Abraham is in the hospital? Maybe Beth and Maggie WILL be reunited?

• Love 1

Yeah, the writing for the episode really laid it on thick with Beth is a burden, she's not anybody worth antything...whoops! Watch out for Beth, she CAN handle herself! Then TD "trained by Daryl" and is she on the level of Rick like Beth is really some badass. CH was the only one, too, who felt the need to bring up Daryl and Beth multiple times. It didn't sound to me like EK was being all lovey-dovey with mentioning Daryl there, so whatever there, Hardwicke.

EK certainly talked a lot and JB for the most part restrained himself (for JB!), but boy, she needs to work on finding her words to get her point and thoughts across. Most of her talking was just kind of clunky. CH had to work a bit there with her.

I hope Carol and Beth do team up and cause trouble! But TD will probably say it's because they're Daryl's ladies.

I'm so bored of the shipping talk. I don't mean among fans, per se, but I mean on Talking Dead. I realize "The Grove" was a horribly depressing episode and TD, which was already very heavy that season as it was, wasn't going to devote 40 minutes to dead children, but seeing talk about Caryl when Melissa McBride was trying to talk about serious subjects and was obviously personally moved by the material - it bothered me. Last night wasn't as bad, but I still felt like Emily Kinney was being boxed in. I guess they assume fans are lapping this up, which I'm sure some are, but to me it's patronizing to the actresses to have to deal with this. The episode wasn't about Bethyl, or about Beth learning from Daryl. 

It's bad that both ladies are so defined by this triangle, but when you have a format to spotlight them for themselves, and that doesn't happen, that just makes it even worse.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 8

I'm so bored of the shipping talk. I don't mean among fans, per se, but I mean on Talking Dead. I realize "The Grove" was a horribly depressing episode and TD, which was already very heavy that season as it was, wasn't going to devote 40 minutes to dead children, but seeing talk about Caryl when Melissa McBride was trying to talk about serious subjects and was obviously personally moved by the material - it bothered me. Last night wasn't as bad, but I still felt like Emily Kinney was being boxed in. I guess they assume fans are lapping this up, which I'm sure some are, but to me it's patronizing to the actresses to have to deal with this. The episode wasn't about Bethyl, or about Beth learning from Daryl. 

It's bad that both ladies are so defined by this triangle, but when you have a format to spotlight them for themselves, and that doesn't happen, that just makes it even worse.

I agree. I wish the show would declare Daryl Dixon a relationship-free zone so we could be free of all the talk about it on TTD.  I found myself annoyed when EK kittened on about how Beth and Daryl are just getting to know each other, but then I realized that I was more annoyed that she was even asked about it.

• Love 6

And about Dawn vs Gareth: she has an advantage as a leader as she isn't EATING PEOPLE!!

While the Terminus setup is obviously the more horrific, Gareth clearly had all the people there onboard with the program and working as a unit; whereas it looked as if Dawn was just barely holding things together and it was a race to see which group would revolt first, the rape-happy underling cops or the terrorized worker drones they rescued. I think Gareth was clearly a more effective leader, even if he dove into the deep end of the Crazy Pool headfirst rather than wading in the shallows like Dawn.

• Love 7

So in the extra preview we got last night, Abraham is stomping the hell out of some dude. Was it just me, or did the guy look like he had a cop uniform on? BDUs of some sort? He was clearly inside a building. What are the chances Abraham is in the hospital? Maybe Beth and Maggie WILL be reunited?

As Pete Martell said above:

It was mostly just a flashback (presumably) of Abraham over the corpse of a soldier. I think he was taking a can of food.

Ghoulina's taken this to the speculation thread.

I agree. I wish the show would declare Daryl Dixon a relationship-free zone so we could be free of all the talk about it on TTD.  I found myself annoyed when EK kittened on about how Beth and Daryl are just getting to know each other, but then I realized that I was more annoyed that she was even asked about it.

I got the feeling she stopped talking because she was about to give away something.

I have to admit that I have/had no idea who John Barrowman was.  But after last night all I can think is Asshole.

• Goes off on some strange comments about how EK so effectively acted with her back and shoulders while framed in the window.  Okay, this is more idot than asshole, but that comment made me wonder if we had watched two different shows.
  • Brings politics into the show unnecessarily.  Asshole.  And hey, John - just remember that all those Republicans that you are summarily lumping together and happily insulting are also the ones who will most likely have most of the weapons when the ZA happens.  Love 'em or hate 'em, they'll be well armed.  Just sayin'.
  • Saying that Dawn must be jealous of Beth and the other women who are getting "attention" from the men.  Asshole.  You consider forced sexual servitude AKA fucking rape to be "attention" worth desiring?  Fuck you.  Asshole. 

Maybe if I had known him from some other show or cared about him I might be trying to feel differently about his comments and....uhhhh, no.  That last comment alone still makes me think he's a fucking asshole.

• Love 10

But she's also incredibly delusional in thinking someone is going to come by and save them, and also running an inept and confusing hospital ward with no clear vision. I would gladly chose Gareth over Dawn. I don't agree with eating people, obviously, but take away that and Terminus was a well run place. Fences were up, people were fed (unfortunately), rapists were locked away. Dawn has a hardcore rapist as her right-hand man, how does that make her a better leader? 

I'm also tired of the shipping talk. It's one thing I love about Walking Dead is that it's not a romantic workplace drama, ala Greys. We have Glenn and Maggie who have been solid, and that's it. No unnecessary drama. Even the Rick-Lori-Shane thing was resolved without being too soap opera like. The whole mess with Beth-Daryl-Carol is annoying and overpowering when any of the actors is on the show, or doing any interview. I can't even read a post most times about Beth without it devolving into some shipper talk. I wish Hardwick would back off about it. 

• Love 2

I have to admit that I have/had no idea who John Barrowman was.  But after last night all I can think is Asshole.

• Goes off on some strange comments about how EK so effectively acted with her back and shoulders while framed in the window.  Okay, this is more idot than asshole, but that comment made me wonder if we had watched two different shows.
  • Brings politics into the show unnecessarily.  Asshole.  And hey, John - just remember that all those Republicans that you are summarily lumping together and happily insulting are also the ones who will most likely have most of the weapons when the ZA happens.  Love 'em or hate 'em, they'll be well armed.  Just sayin'.
  • Saying that Dawn must be jealous of Beth and the other women who are getting "attention" from the men.  Asshole.  You consider forced sexual servitude AKA fucking rape to be "attention" worth desiring?  Fuck you.  Asshole. 

Maybe if I had known him from some other show or cared about him I might be trying to feel differently about his comments and....uhhhh, no.  That last comment alone still makes me think he's a fucking asshole.

Oh, thank goodness I wasn't the only one thinking "who the fuck is this dickwad and why won't he stop talking?".  The guy ruined the whole show for me, and now I'm just thankful that I STILL don't know who he is, nor do I care. 

• Love 5