Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

I have never seen Breaking Bad so I don't know who that guy was, but boy was he annoying. Sorry, people who like him!

Chad L. Coleman seemed cagey with his answers. I mean he seemed charming, but like he didn't want to fess up to any motivation about why Tyrese really doesn't want to kill people. Which makes me wonder if there is some reason yet to be explained on the show....

Slash next time?! Oh, I used to have a crush on Slash when I was in high school; no longer, as he has been looking kind of frumpy, but still - seeing him takes me back.

• Love 1

Chad Coleman was terrific - my favorite part was when he essentially told people to eat his ass. 

I love your succinct way of putting that.  I also loved when Chris told Chad he could carry him around.  I tend to think of Chris as pocket-sized.  I could see Chad throwing him over his shoulder or cradling him like a baby.  

Matt Jones was little slow on the uptake if he didn't know they were cannibals after the premiere. 

Um, yeah.  Seriously, he didn't know until they ate Bob's leg?  What kind of animal did he think they were eating?  How did he miss Alex being butchered?  

I miss the past seasons where the audience, guests and Chris actually talked about theories and questions the viewers want to know about. Obviously Chad couldn't give spoilers, but in the past the other guests and Chris and callers/audience would venture opinions. No one asked whether Bob was bit or why else he could be crying or spent any time on wondering who/what Father Gabriel was. Instead we get a lot of useful polls and questions about who would be eaten first, Walter White etc.

yes, it felt very meandering. I couldn't tell if they were avoiding the hypothesizing or if they were so caught up in the silly polls that they didn't get to it. Why can't the polls be more plot based rather than fashion accessory or whatever?

Matt Jones was little slow on the uptake if he didn't know they were cannibals after the premiere. 

Scott Milhouse Gimple is always so damn cagey: "You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment!" Until now the cannibalism had only been implied.

ITA. What did he think they were doing in the Trough Room - playing Operation? And the Meat Hanging room immediately adjacent? I can't think of any alternate interpretation other than cannibalism, unless one thinks the Termites were SO bored they were exploring really unique entertainment options with human piñatas.

• Love 3

Scott Milhouse Gimple is always so damn cagey: "You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment!" Until now the cannibalism had only been implied.

I don't know how much more obviously they could imply it. Haven't we all known the deal since the Season 4 finale with that gruesome pile of discarded rib bones? This was just never the secret they thought it was.

Slash? Mary Lynne Raskub? This could be the greatest or most awkward Talking Dead couch ever. I can't wait.

• Love 1

It's good to see that Talking Dead is doing so well in the ratings at the 10pm timeslot -- more viewers than Revenge on ABC, better 18-49 rating than CSI on CBS. It doesn't hurt that it's lead-in has close to the same number of viewers as football on NBC.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/21/sunday-cable-ratings-the-walking-dead-tops-night-talking-dead-the-real-housewives-of-new-jersey-nfl-countdown-nascar-coverage-more/317391/

I wish they would go back to the old Subway buzz with production notes about the episode -- that's way more interesting than tweets from fans.

I also wish they would go back to having 3 people on the couch not related to the show -- it sucks when the cast member can't say anything and you can tell when they are dodging questions with filler.  I love it when you get two different celebrity fans of the show debating their own theories about the show.  Last season Chris Jericho and Yvette Nicole Brown were really good. And particularly enjoy it when Greg Nicotero is on -- while he directs frequently, I'm more interested when he describes the creativity behind the SFX and how they get certain shots.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 6

I agree, Otto. I like Chad Coleman, but I don't know that he was a logical guest for this past ep. It felt like there were so many topics hanging in the air that he couldn't quite talk about or talk about at all.

I'm just glad they didn't have Kirkman on. Him rubbing his hands together and chuckling about what he can't tell us gets on my nerves. Hey 300 lb. toddler, you seem unclear about who is supposed to be the entertainer and who is supposed to be entertained.

• Love 2

I also wish they would go back to having 3 people on the couch not related to the show -- it sucks when the cast member can't say anything and you can tell when they are dodging questions with filler.  I love it when you get two different celebrity fans of the show debating their own theories about the show.  

The problem with celebrities not related to the show is they often end up with people that aren't into the show enough to debate it or spin theories.  With current cast members they should just stop asking they questions that they know can't be answered and find interesting stuff that the actor doesn't have to hedge about.  We debate enough stuff in this in prior episodes that isn't speculation that it can be done.

I think it would be fun to do a couple episodes that take the Talking Dead literally.  Go grab cast members from prior seasons that got killed off and have them be all the guests.  You get someone that will have a point of view even if its just how current characters have changed but won't know enough to prevaricate.

• Love 5

I think it would be fun to do a couple episodes that take the Talking Dead literally.  Go grab cast members from prior seasons that got killed off and have them be all the guests.  You get someone that will have a point of view even if its just how current characters have changed but won't know enough to prevaricate.

They did this at Walker Stalker Con, the "dead men" and "dead women" and it was good and bad, Jeffrey DeMunn was funny but he doesn't have a tv so he pretends they all found a safe place with fruit trees, he hasn't kept up with the show and he never was into the comics so he has no perspective whatsoever. And Andrea said she can't watch because she can't watch her friends die. Allen (Dude with wife and kid with Tyrese's group) was like super duper knowledgeable. He is massively into the comics and keeps up would be an excellent guest in this capacity.

• Love 1

4. The report totally ignores what would probably be the most relevant factor, period - relative population density. If you're stuck in a major metropolitan inner city with 500K+ hungry hungry hipsters, you could one shot/one kill all day long and you're STILL gonna die - either starved out eventually, or overrun trying to escape.

Holy shit, they used my line.

• Love 11

Sometimes I'm not sure why I watch Talking Dead each week. Then, I hear something like Hungry-Hungry Hipsters and then I remember. 

And that the actors (e.g., the one guy in the behind-the-scenes clip) call themselves "Terminans" but Hardwick calls them "Termites."

One of us! One of us! We accept him!

• Love 9

I liked Andrew J. West answering the question regarding Gareth and the impossibility of him reintegrating into any sort of society.  I'd wondered about that myself, given the horrors the Termites both experienced and perpetuated on others.  He voted no, which surprised me, because I thought he might argue for his character.  I agree with him though; I think Gareth went way too far and people (in general) would never forgive him or want him living in the neighbourhood.  I don't think any of the other Termites would get a pass either. 

• Love 4

OK, I hope I have this right. TD just showed a still pic of Bob's foot on the grill saying real meat was attached to it for the Termites to eat. But, the pic was of a RIGHT LEG. Wasn't it his LEFT LEG that was cut off?

• Love 1

Who would have thunk that Slash would be a good panelist?

He is; seems to know what's going on with the show.  I don't know who the woman is, guess she was on "24" - I never watched it - but she didn't need to be there.

• Love 1

"She wouldn't just do what he told her". Dafuq??

LOL I know. and now-

No that's not a flashback.  She obviously doesn't watch the show.

Edited by raven
  • Love 1

Liked Slash, but would have dumped "24" and replaced Gardouche* with Bob.

still sick of the polls and tweets. But at least there was more speculation and hypothesizing talk.

*Actor did such a good job it might take me awhile to not see him as character.

She gave the dumbest answer for why it couldn't be Carol that Daryl was telling to come out of the woods - "She wouldn't just do what he told her". Dafuq??

I think she was trying to say Carol was Daryl's equal so he wouldn't say that to her, but the wording was poor.

I never watched 24, so I didn't know her, but I can't say I was all that enthused. She was incredibly awkward, she made me nervous, and as with many comedians on this show, she just wasn't funny. 

Andrew West talked too much (and his unfortunate hair undercut most of the hotness and made his face look like he'd had some work done - I think TWD's hair and makeup people must have been fans because they made him look damn good), but he also had good insights. I was especially pleased that he singled out Sonequa Martin (Sasha) for praise.

I was surprised at how much I liked Slash, and how he didn't sneer at the fanboy questions about his guitar. He seemed like a cool guy. 

I wish they'd talked more about Bob.

• Love 6

I had the opposite reaction. Slash contributed nothing. MLR was awkward in spots but at least seemed interested in participating. I actually thought her banter at the beginning with West was cute. Slash seemed content to sit there and act cool and let his hair grow.

• Love 4

I didn't think Slash had much to say either. MLR's comment about a flashback was just silly. Why in the world would they have a pre ZA flashback about Beth now? The Gareth actor was trying too hard to be intellectual about the whole thing. At least they asked some interesting questions.

Edited by Madding crowd

I was kind of hoping that Andrew J. West would say he was vegan and the effects crew had to create a tofu Bob chunk for him. It would have put the final point on the know-it-all hipster thing he had going.

• Love 1

I was surprised at how much I liked Slash, and how he didn't sneer at the fanboy questions about his guitar. He seemed like a cool guy.

I wish they'd talked more about Bob.

I agree about Slash. And it was an immediate response, like he had already thought about it and already decided what guitar he would use.

Wish we could have gotten a Bob interview.

Edited by callmebetty
  • Love 1

I actually thought Slash seemed to want to talk more, but Mary Lynne whatever and Andrew West talked too much! And I didn't get the feeling that ML was all that much a fan, honestly. And she wasn't funny. Slash wasn't particularly funny, either, but I don't think he was trying to be.

Also, it would have been nice to see Bob, but maybe he already has another acting gig and couldn't be on.

Edited by Disraeli Ears
  • Love 4

Just bring Yvette Nicole Brown back on and be done with it.

Exactly.  Tonight's panel should have been her, Andrew West, and Lawrence "Bob" Gilliard.

Slash and 24's Chloe Potatoface were both useless.  Andrew was the only one tonight who was worth a damn. 

MLR:  "Isn't that a flashback?"  Uh, the city was a wreck, and Beth was on her father's farm up until it burned down and she left with the people from Rick's group.  Ugh.  At least get guests who watch the show.  

John Barrowman next week.  I LOVE him, he's hilarious and tells great stories.  I really hope he does a good job as a panelist.  He's really high energy so I hope he doesn't steamroller over the other participants...except for Emily.  He can talk over her as much as he wants.

Hungry Hungry Hipsters...frustrated Starbucks barista...Termites...HI, CHRIS!  *waves*

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 3

I watch 24, and I thought Chloe was a cool character and the actress would probably be likable....I hated her. How can she be an "actress/comedian"--she isn't funny!

She was lost about the show, the characters. Doesn't anybody vet these people beforehand?

• Love 4

Per a Sonequa Martin-Green interview I'm going to put in the media thread, Lawrence Gilliard Jr isn't doing press. So now I won't criticize Talking Dead for not having him on. I still wish they'd had someone from the show beyond Andrew West, so the panel wouldn't be derailed the way it sometimes is with two people who have no ties to the show. Hell, have one of the people who play walkers on there to talk.

• Love 2
I actually thought Slash seemed to want to talk more, but Mary Lynne whatever and Andrew West talked too much! And I didn't get the feeling that ML was all that much a fan, honestly. And she wasn't funny. Slash wasn't particularly funny, either, but I don't think he was trying to be.

I agree on all counts. Not everyone has to be funny. Slash seemed like he was thoughtful and insightful, but he's just not a forceful personality. So if other people are doing a lot of the talking, he's just going to sit there and let them. And I also didn't get the impression that MLR was a big fan, or even kind of a fan. She just seemed like she had no idea what the show was about half the time. 

• Love 5

Chris did kind of annoy me one time. He asks, "And does anyone remember from the first episode when Rick tells Gareth he's going to kill him with a machete?" Really Chris? Does anyone remember? I guess he spelled it out for the girl from 24.

And the live polls asking questions about the episode (what time was on the clock? etc)...AWFUL.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 3

OK, I hope I have this right. TD just showed a still pic of Bob's foot on the grill saying real meat was attached to it for the Termites to eat. But, the pic was of a RIGHT LEG. Wasn't it his LEFT LEG that was cut off?

It was the left foot in the episode. Pretty sure that was just a flipped image.

• Love 2

I dunno. Isn't it the basic M.O. of Slash to sit/stand quietly off to the side just being Slash? I would find it tremendously weird if he were very talkative. He's a fan of the show, clearly. And I really loved how easily he answered the "which guitar would you use as a weapon" question. He's clearly thought about it.

• Love 5

Tough crowd! I thought both Slash and MLR were really good guests.

Yes, MLR is a comedian, but if she had "been funny" it would have been JB Smoove level "bogarting the show" and everybody HATED JB Smoove on TD for precisely that reason (and with good reason.) MLR wasn't there to perform, she was there to discuss. And I think she was conscious of being somewhat restrained rather than... well... going all JB Smoove with it. I also disagree with the assertions that she didn't know what she was talking about and obviously doesn't watch the show. All because she said the Beth scene might be a flashback? Flashbacks don't have to be pre-ZA or whatever length of time people are assuming MLR (ignorantly!!!) meant. Next week's episode: 10 seconds of Daryl saying "Come on out..." followed by "24 hours earlier" and Beth's eyes opening in her hospital room. Voila! Flashback!

As for Slash, I agree that he would have liked to have said more, but was merely being polite and not trying to talk over MLR and AJW and Hardwick, who were constantly talking. Every time Hardwick actually directed a question specifically to Slash, he was ready for it and (more or less) had quality input. But on those occasions, it seemed like Hardwick was expecting just a couple sentences and quickly moved on, and Slash didn't push it or try to take more than the flow of the show offered him. I respect and appreciate that. Nothing worse than everybody trying to squeeze in as many of their own words as they can, even if it means rudely refusing to shut the hell up and talking over others instead. I was actually quite impressed that (given that he's a rock star who has the look and the persona/mystique he has) he was so damn polite, attentive and into it as he seemed to be. I don't think I've EVER seen Slash smile so much, let alone actually giggle once or twice. I'd have thought that he'd have come off "too cool for school" (or anything else) but surprisingly I thought he was the exact opposite of that. Seemed to me he was legitimately geeking out, he just did it quietly and politely while deferring to the others on the set.

• Love 6

Chris did kind of annoy me one time. He asks, "And does anyone remember from the first episode when Rick tells Gareth he's going to kill him with a machete?" Really Chris? Does anyone remember? I guess he spelled it out for the girl from 24.

He did that to set up showing the prop on the coffee table, so I didn't have a problem with that. Sometimes as host he has to state some obvious or lame things to cover everything he has to get in.

I really think that quiz segment takes way too long, especially the final tallying up of the points for the winner. I like the questions, but all of the other stuff...it's change the channel time fodder.

MLR said some silly things (really, you've been away from 24 that long not to get how Jack Bauer would react when asked?), but at least she seemed to know what she said was silly or bombed. She wasn't that bad, but maybe three people on the couch are way too much--especially when at least one is an actor from the show. Chris did take the effort to make sure Slash was included by directing questions at him; he just seemed very laid back. And honestly, the episode was mostly about AJW, which makes sense.

It should be interesting next week. EK may have to put up a bit of a fight to get focus with John Barrowman and Ana Gasteyer both on the couch...and interacting with CH.

I'll agree that Slash surprised me with his demeanor.

But, MLR?

The evidence for me is when Chris asked her what Jack Bauer would do to the Termites and she seemed like she didn't know who he was talking about...then he supplies her with an answer Like, (COUGH COUGH) he'd beat them up get them in a headlock?

Her response---which I found unbelievable---was that she hadn't been on "that show" (24) in a while.

HUH?

I didn't start watching 24 till this year...but I couldn't avoid knowing who Jack Bauer was and how he handled any problem.

Maybe she was loaded.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 2

In my opinion, she was just deflecting/evading/blowing the question off. It was a stupid, off-topic question. It didn't have a damn thing to to with TWD, it was about her and a completely different show she used to be on. Hell, just in general, I'm sure MLR has had quite enough of talking about Jack Bauer at this point. People still probably address her as "Chloe" on a daily basis, which is probably annoying as hell. I'm sure Slash would probably have had a similarly dismissive response to a question about how Axl Rose would get along in the ZA.

• Love 3