Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Trini
  • Start Topic

I saw the first episode preview back in December and couldn't wait to see what everyone else thought.  I definitely enjoyed it and thought Cookie and Jamal and Lucious (hate that name) were the strongest but that nobody felt flat. I hope the series tightens up along the way but am along for the ride.

They changed some things from the preview I saw.  Love scenes were shorter.  They added the line from oldest son about meeting his wife in college.  And the scene of Lucious killing his "friend"  was different. He was wearing different clothes (sweats/hoodie) and the backdrop seemed different.  But after looking at it again I think it may have been the camera angle?  I didn't see water and they didn't have that splash sound. It seemed more of a garage.  

Anyway whoo hoo...glad it's doing well enough to play out the season.

Even though rap started when I was in my teens I never really got into it.   But I just bought Good Enough LOL. That's my type of music.  Yep they got me.

Edited by angelita100

I liked this show.  I was surprised because I can't stand Terrence Howard (he seems greasy to me).  But I adore Taraji and I'll watch her in anything, since Person of Interest basically fucked her over in favor of 2 non-black women.  

All of this. I actually can't stand Terrence because of stuff he's done over the years, but I watched for Taraji. Love, love, love her.

I rarely give pilots a chance, but did so because of Taraji and Gabourey Sidibe. This was a good pilot! It is like a soap opera, but I was very entertained the whole time. I was not expecting it when Cookie took that broom to her son's ass when he called outside of her name - I was laughing so hard. I feel like the sons have a complex story that will be very interesting as we learn more about them.

The music is awesome - I wonder if it's available on iTunes.

Just talked to my sister who attended the preview with me back in December and she told me the scene between Cookie and the old friend that took place in the car - wasn't in the preview.  Also the scene between Andre and his wife started with her on the bed. They didn't show her giving him the meds.  I think all the changes they made were for the best except the killing scene. I think the original scene was more effective and shocking.

Yes music is on itunes.  5 songs from the premier.

Edited by angelita100
  • Love 1

Boy, this show is a soapy mess. I know pilots are typically clunky, heavy-handed, and have to set up a lot of storylines. I felt the response to the gay son was outdated. Didn't like the use of the f-word at all.

TPH was definitely chewing the scenery and considering the writing here -- that might be the best acting choice. I might give this show a few more episodes.

Hakeem is the favorite because first son isn't a musician and second son is gay.

While this is 100% correct, I also wonder if Luscious favors Hakeem because he was still a baby when a Cookie went away, he is the easiest to subtlety manipulate against her. Jamal was clearly her child based on that flashback scene. As for Andre, while he might be ashamed and even hateful towards his mother for his own reason, as the oldest, Luscious might worry that he is in the best position to remember as he said that, 'Cookie was the one who did all the parenting,' or words to that effect. So subtle hints might work on him, an out and out Cookie was pure evil approach with Andre might cause push back. Then there's Luscious comment that Hakeem is just like Cookie, so maybe the favoring is also rooted in the affections he once had/still has for Cookie.

I am in for anything with Taraji. I fact I wish the show was up against what she has referred to as "That show," just so that their horrid treatment of Taraji would in fact be their ultimate undoing.

I can't stand Terrance Howard and found that as is the case with the music, with the exception of Jamal's song, I muted him. It kind of pains me that this douche is going to get to ride Taraji's star to relevancy.

• Love 2

I liked this show.  I was surprised because I can't stand Terrence Howard (he seems greasy to me).  But I adore Taraji and I'll watch her in anything, since Person of Interest basically fucked her over in favor of 2 non-black women.

The main one they pushed out Taraji for was Sarah Shahi, who plays Shaw.

Who recently announced her pregnancy and is leaving POI.

LOL!

• Love 2
I felt the response to the gay son was outdated.

The conversation between Michael and Jamal suggested that it is and it isn't. It depends on where you are. Even then. While plenty of people won't respond that way. Some people might.

According to a tiny local paper, the San Francisco Bay Area city where I grew up is "bursting at the seams with women who love women." Still, my grandmother explicitly stated that my (female) cousin's girlfriend was not welcome at her house Christmas 2014 because Granny "doesn't believe in that." My thirty-something brother, who is my grandmother's favorite, will probably stay in the closet at least the rest of my grandmother's life.

Not that long ago, one of my co-workers had a housewarming party and before she invited me, she asked a mutual friend if I "knew about" her before she invited me. Her reality, as an elementary school teacher, was that it wasn't safe to let some of her seemingly nice co-workers know that she was partnered with a woman. 

Now, my grandmother is almost twice as old as Lucious, and more than twice as old as the people downloading rap/R&B songs. But, the former co-worker I mentioned isn't much older than Lucious. At least a couple of family members who are around Lucious' & Cookie's age have responded/would respond not unlike Cookie has. At least somewhat accepting, but not above making inappropriate remarks.  So, 2015 or not, Michael's right. But, Jamal's worry isn't yet unwarranted and his experience isn't yet (completely) outdated. 

Edited by RaeSpellman
  • Love 9

The main one they pushed out Taraji for was Sarah Shahi, who plays Shaw.

Who recently announced her pregnancy and is leaving POI.

LOL!

Ha! Oh, the irony.

While this is 100% correct, I also wonder if Luscious favors Hakeem because he was still a baby when a Cookie went away, he is the easiest to subtlety manipulate against her. Jamal was clearly her child based on that flashback scene. As for Andre, while he might be ashamed and even hateful towards his mother for his own reason, as the oldest, Luscious might worry that he is in the best position to remember as he said that, 'Cookie was the one who did all the parenting,' or words to that effect. So subtle hints might work on him, an out and out Cookie was pure evil approach with Andre might cause push back. Then there's Luscious comment that Hakeem is just like Cookie, so maybe the favoring is also rooted in the affections he once had/still has for Cookie.

This reminded me - I was confused by the "Hakeem is just like Cookie" stuff.  This is only episode one, but to me, Hakeem is Lucious' hood-fronting mini-me, which explains the favoritism.  I'm not sure if any of the sons are like Cookie, but we'll see.     

I'm in if only for the broom beating scene. I really didn't think they would do it, I was howling as Cookie beat his ass up and down the block. 

There are plenty of kids, boy and girl, who wear mommy's clothes etc etc especially if she is the one they interact with the most. I don't think the point of the scene was heels = gaaay, it was that Lucius was so obsessively hypermasculine that he'd chuck his own son in the trashcan. 

• Love 6

The conversation between Michael and Jamal suggested that it is and it isn't. It depends on where you are. Even then. While plenty of people won't respond that way. Some people might.

Right. I should have phrased my original statement a bit better. I look at those scenes and think "I can't believe this is still an issue". But it is. 

I'm so in! Empire is as saucy, juicy and spicy as the best barbecue. It's both a throwback and new school. It's got doses of Shakespeare, The Lion In Winter and tons of soapy goodness. It's not "perfect," but even the flaws are fun to watch, for the most part. Just like one doesn't have to be a country music fan to like Nashville, a lawyer to like How To Get Away With Murder or a virgin to like Jane the Virgin,  I believe that being a hip-hop fan is not necessary to watch/love Empire. The acting, writing, music and clothes are all on point. As Lucius Lyon, Terrence Howard is perfect. Lucius can run his record label and cap someone's ass with equal skill. Lucius can be tragic one moment and monstrous the next, as proven by his treatment of his sons Andre', Hakeem and Jamal, especially Jamal. Since Lucius is dying and wants to pick the right son to run the label, one would think that he would pick Jamal, who has the talent, drive and charisma, but Lucius' ignorance won't let him, because Jamal is gay. That Lucius is such a homophobe where Jamal is concerned that he even threw little Jamal in the trash just for playing dress-up shows just how stupid he is. If Jamal was a little girl who was a tomboy, I doubt he would have done the same. If my man had done that to our son in my presence, I'd want to put him in the trash-piece by piece, if necessary. Lucius may have juice in the hip-hop world, but when it comes to Jamal, he's just a low-class thug.  Speaking of Jamal, Jussie Smollett is wonderful. Jamal is talented, smart and strong and Lucius' refusal to appreciate him says much worse about him than Jamal. On the romance front, based on what I've seen so far, Jamal and Michael ("Jamichael?") are cute together, but my unspoiled spec is that Lucius will at least try to bribe Michael into leaving him or try something worse if he doesn't. Re Andre', he's got the brains to run things, but his bipolar disorder would get in the way and Rhonda, his ruthless wife, wouldn't help matters. About Hakeem, he's talented, but he's a loose cannon. He's also Lucius' favorite son IMO because he reminds Lucius of himself from back in the day. 

Then there's Cookie. She's loud, rude, crude-and I love her, in all her politically incorrect, hood rat, ride-or-die, ghetto-fabulous glory. In the Lucius/Cookie battle, I'm Team Cookie all day, every day. She sacrificed 17 years of her life-in prison, at that-for Lucius and Empire Records, so I think she deserves at least half of the label. Anyone who can survive that long on lockdown is not to be messed with, as Anika, the head of A&R and Lucius' new chick, might learn the hard way. Cookie was a force to be reckoned with long before that, as Hakeem knows all too well, with a little help from a broom handle, which served him right for calling Cookie a bitch. After that, Hakeem's lucky he's still breathing, much less walking. About Andre, Cookie understood why he never visited her while she was in prison, but it still hurts her. When it comes to Jamal, the difference between Lucius and Cookie is like night & day. Unlike Lucius, Cookie loves Jamal unconditionally. Like so many moms, Cookie knew that her son was gay all along, but she's never stopped loving him. Cookie believes in Jamal in ways that  Lucius can't/won't. Cookie's love for/ faith in Jamal may not stop the pain of Lucius' lack of both, but it makes it easier.  Taraji P. Henson is Cookie. She's the queen of this world, whether she's in prison orange or a full-length fur. What Cookie lacks in manners she not only makes up for in heart and soul, her doing time when the equally guilty Lucius wouldn't proves that she's also got balls-again, unlike Lucius. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6

I'm keeping my eye on Andre's fiercely determined wife, Rhonda.  I'm starting to wonder if she wants the company for herself and is pushing the pills so hard on Andre that she's trying to get him addicted.  Surely, a drug addict wouldn't be able to effectively run the company.

Edited by Syndicate
Re Andre', he's got the brains to run things, but his bipolar disorder would get in the way and Rhonda, his ruthless wife, wouldn't help matters.

Wait, when did it become a fact that Andre has bipolar disorder? We still don't know what his pills are for, do we?

I hadn't thought of Rhonda trying to get him addicted, but she must know that as a white woman she wouldn't be accepted to run the company. The best that she can hope for is "power behind the throne."

I wonder if there was ever a long-term woman in Luscious's life while Cookie was in prison, to serve as a surrogate mother for Hakeem.

I thought Kitty Boo Boo moved in soon after Cookie went to the clink?  Wasn't there a line of dialogue referring to her raising the sons?

I thought Kitty Boo Boo moved in soon after Cookie went to the clink?  Wasn't there a line of dialogue referring to her raising the sons?

That was another woman (I think her name was Dottie) who wanted to raise the boys, but she was shot and presumably killed. She must not have lasted too long because Hakeem didn't even know what had happened to her. I get the impression that Kitty Boo Boo/Halle Berry/Annika is fairly recent and also isn't that much older than Andre. I was wondering, as well, who helped raise the boys since Luscious didn't seem too interested in it. Maybe Cookie's sister?

• Love 1

I'm keeping my eye on Andre's fiercely determined wife Rhonda.  I'm starting to wonder if she wants the company for herself and is pushing the pills so hard on Andre that she's trying to get him addicted.  Surely, a drug addict wouldn't be able to effectively run the company.

Becky Macbeth definitely has an agenda, Andre is a pawn.

• Love 1

Oh, I think that transcends. My Irish mum would have beat my lily-white ass with whatever was at hand if she saw my face forming the intention to have my mouth call her a bitch.

Slays!! LMAO!

Yeah a kid playing around with his Mom's clothes certainly doesn't mean he is a cross dresser or going to grow up to become one.  Personally as a gay man that scene didn't give me any pause, even though I personally never did that.

Though now that I know that was lifted from Lee Daniel's own life makes it more heartbreaking, but as they say, write what you know.

Jamal is breaking my heart six ways from Sunday in every scene. Jussie is killing it. Move over, Jurnee, one of your siblings is finally stepping up.

Re: cross-dressing: Every gay boy I ever knew, was related to, or birthed (and that totals many dozens) spent some part of childhood pretending to be "the mommy" during play time, including some or all manner of wigs, dresses, scarves, shoes and of course "pocketbooks," aka handbag/purse. Later on they LIVED for Halloween, the one day they could put on a dress and not be looked at crazy because "it's just a costume, ha ha!"  Maybe one or two out of many grew up to be cross-dressers or trans. It's usually just an expressive phase.

I'm with everyone who says pick a decade and hairstyle, show!

That was another woman (I think her name was Dottie) who wanted to raise the boys, but she was shot and presumably killed. She must not have lasted too long because Hakeem didn't even know what had happened to her.

I have a feeling we haven't heard the last about Dottie and how she died.

I just re-watched this episode and confirmed an earlier comment. The editing in some of these scenes really was distractingly poor. When Luscious and Cookie were on the couch toward the end, every time the shot switched to a different angle she was suddenly holding her champagne in the opposite hand or at a different height or distance from her body... it was driving me batty.

I'm in. I was on the fence at first (I really, really cannot stand Terrence Howard) but I was into pretty much everyone else (I'm ambivalent to Sidibe). I actually am reallt intrigued by Andre and his wife (no clue as to her name). I think they'' be interesting.

What the hell happened to Malik?

Yes, WTH?? I know it was forever ago, but for some reason I still expected to see NYU Yoba!! Not fair, but still.

Also, count me as another white girl who if I ever dares call my grandmother (I don't think my parents would have noticed if I spoke when I was a kid, much less curse) even a "witch", I would still be recovering and I'm approaching 40!

Two interesting things I noticed: 1. In the scene where Andre's wife gave him his meds, he took them in a odd manner, specifically the way he put them in his mouth. It was like he made a fist over them, and threw them in from an opening between his thumb and index finger. A very easy way to look like you're taking them and palm them away. If this ends up being the case, major props to TPTB for not showing the tossed away pills.  2. The last scene where they were doing close ups of all the players, they showed Andre and his wife while Lucius was talking, more scene, and then did the close ups of Cookie, Lucius, Jamal, Hakeem, Anika (I think, not positive about this one) and Michael. No Andre, no wife. The fact that Michael was included is interesting to me and makes me think he'll be mor eof a player than it's let on now.

• Love 1

According to the closed captioning on the Fox website it was the roommate with the dreads.

Thanks -- that's a lot better.

But, Jamal's worry isn't yet unwarranted and his experience isn't yet (completely) outdated. 

Especially in rap, which has a very macho (like Every. Single. Song of "goin' to the club...), anti-gay element to it.  

I thought Kitty Boo Boo moved in soon after Cookie went to the clink?

It's Boo Boo Kitty. It's a Laverne and Shirley reference.  Boo Boo Kitty was Shirley's stuffed animal.  Whenever Shirley was feeling down, she'd hold Boo Boo Kitty to make herself feel better.  Given the circumstances, Cookie's calling Lucious' new woman that name seems stunningly accurate and brilliantly full of shade.

• Love 11

Wait, when did it become a fact that Andre has bipolar disorder? We still don't know what his pills are for, do we?

We don't know what Andre has yet, but if he's bipolar, I wouldn't be surprised.

Rap-rich empire or not, this is not a family anybody could actually believe in.

I respectfully disagree. I don't believe in Lucius or Andre but I do believe in Jamal and Hakeem (to a much lesser extent re the latter, unless he gets his shit together) and I would never, ever count Cookie out.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

Loved the pilot but did not love the gay slurs that were tossed about to and fro.  This coupled with their outfits took me back to the 1980s and am with the other posters who were confused as to what decade the series was set.   For what it's worth, I am not gay.

I'm watching though!

I just watched the pilot. Damn, this show is hella good and soapy. Shakespeare would be damn proud as hell. What an homage! Tight storytelling full of drama tinged with tragedy and some humor. The actors have great chemistry and lots of good acting all around.

Tariji P. Henson is the woman. She owned every scene. As wrong as it was, I just about died when Cookie beat Hakeem with the broom and then answered the door with her gun. This goes to show how she was wasted on Person of Interest. TV Guide is going to be begging to put her on its cover after it snubbed her.

Cookie and Luscious have an interesting relationship. There is still a lot of love there. His woman better look out. The sicker he gets, the more he will turn to Cookie.

Andre and his girlfriend think that he is smarter than his mother. Cookie cannot be played. She read him straight up. It will end up going wrong for Dre. Does the girlfriend have him hooked on drugs?

Farewell, Bumpy. I was not surprised when Luscious killed him.

Malik Yoba has aged.

The previews looked crazy good. I am going to be torn between watching Modern Family and black-ish and Empire.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Well, Andre married Lady MacBeth so it was never going to end well for him. However, his mama is back. She will take out his wife and save him when all is said and done.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I have nothing else to add to the comment other to say that Taraji is Empire....that is all.  She totally sold me as an actress, and I'm definitely tuning in just to see her in action.

Well---actually, I do have a couple of thing to add; I should be ashamed for laughing at that broom beat down administered by Cookie, but...that was my favorite scene in the entire episode, because it is the epitome of what we've all said what our moms would do for being disrespectful. (My mom would've done the exact same thing). What I appreciate, however is Lucious not bad mouthing her after he saw that bruise on his face.

I've just found a new my guilty pleasure!

• Love 3

I was so looking forward to this show because I love Terrence and Taraji and was so happy not to be let down.  Fantastic premiere all around -- the music was stellar too.  Very exciting start. 

Taraji P. Henson is an amazing talent, no doubt about it, but I never underestimate the astoundingly gifted Terrence Howard.  He's one of our finest actors and one the the most under used.  I'm thrilled for him. 

Edited by copacabana
  • Love 1

This series and some on this board have completely forgotten the success of Frank Ocean. Jamal is a singer who, if managed and promoted properly, could blow up gay or not. He wouldn't be the first gay R&B star (Luther, Freddie Jackson) and he won't be the last.

• Love 1

This series and some on this board have completely forgotten the success of Frank Ocean. Jamal is a singer who, if managed and promoted properly, could blow up gay or not. He wouldn't be the first gay R&B star (Luther, Freddie Jackson) and he won't be the last.

Unfortunate to say but Frank's actual singing career should be more high profile than it actually is, he is regarded as incredibly talented and is beloved as a song writer but his career hasn't broken through the next level.  I can't say 100% if that has to do with him publicly coming out or the marketing of his music but he should be on the same level as someone like Miguel who also does R&B.

• Love 1

THANK YOU. My man and I were watching together last night and we had this very discussion. I told him that that was a very terrible way to show that they knew that he was gay from a young age.

Yeah, but how many times have gay men said that as kids, they liked playing dress up with mommy's clothes and Barbies with their sisters? Maybe it seems like a stereotype, but it's rooted in a lot of reality.

Now I was a kid in their heyday, but I don't remember Luther and Freddie being out. 

The pilot gave me the impression that the next ruler of the Empire needs to be much bigger than Frank Ocean. Cookie's playing to win. She seems to think/hope that Jamal can get there.

The reason Lee Daniels and the rest of the company are showing this level of homophobia within the community is because it definitely exists and has existed for decades.  And has been sanctioned by black clergy.  It's sad but it's true and I commend the show for putting it on full blast.  Just as I commend the mayor of Atlanta for firing his fire chief and being super articulate on TV in his rationale for doing just that. 

I've been privy to dozens upon dozens of convos involving the brothers talking and joking about gay people in ways that make what happened on the show minor. It's a sad and sorry spectacle to behold and we can only hope that the mindset will go the way of the dinosaur. 

• Love 7

I binge-watched all three episodes of Empire to date, and noticed an amusing bit of business in the scene where Cookie comes to Jamal's place and meets Michael. Michael is in pants that make it clear that Jamal has nothing to be dissatisfied about, and when Jamal tells Cookie that he and Michael are living together, Cookie's eyes go straight to Michael's bulge. And Michael sees and grins at her cheekiness. Oh, Cookie. Heh. I join the general consensus in praising Taraji for her work in this role.

• Love 2

I binge-watched all three episodes of Empire to date, and noticed an amusing bit of business in the scene where Cookie comes to Jamal's place and meets Michael. Michael is in pants that make it clear that Jamal has nothing to be dissatisfied about, and when Jamal tells Cookie that he and Michael are living together, Cookie's eyes go straight to Michael's bulge. And Michael sees and grins at her cheekiness. Oh, Cookie. Heh. I join the general consensus in praising Taraji for her work in this role.

I totally missed that scene I will have to go back and rewatch.

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 2

Oh, this show! I started watching because I love TPH (COOKIE ROCKS!) and, despite myself, TH. (WHY?) It's a pilot, I will forgive the stereotypes, stock characters and everything and the kitchen sink. I only have a few things to add to the conversation:

- Here's hoping that this show will introduce some subtlety and turn stereotypes on their head. I see it already with Hakeem not being a complete shit. He has a good relationship with Jamal and he told his dad Jamal helped him.

- How Bunky make it out of Lucius* apt without at least a black eye or something?

- Malik needs to shave his head. He looks much better without hair. Perhaps it's a character choice as well as the weight?

- Lucius is dumb. Or maybe I just don't know enough about the music industry but why does the head of Empire have to be a star? Clive Davis don't sing. Andre Harrell don't sing. Rick Rubin don't rap. What am I missing? Puffy did the rapping thing (thank goodness he stopped) after he got the CEO/whatever gig. If he or Andre had any sense, they'd make Hakeem the head, figure head that is, and have Andre be the power behind the throne. Lucius gets the star and the brains. Hakeem could develop some brains when he grows up.

- I liked the music.

*His name is spelled like Luscious but it's pronouced Lucius? GTFOOH!

• Love 2

Now I was a kid in their heyday, but I don't remember Luther and Freddie being out.

The pilot gave me the impression that the next ruler of the Empire needs to be much bigger than Frank Ocean. Cookie's playing to win. She seems to think/hope that Jamal can get there.

They weren't. On TV One Unsung episode on Freddie Jackson he is still not out

I really liked this. Everything was set up nicely - Lucious's ASL, the grooming of a few successor and the skeletons in his closet.

Lucious is not a great person but he's an interesting character, especially in his scenes with Cookie and Jamal as well.

I love Cookie. I love that she wants to make Jamal into a star and I want her to succeed with it too.

Jamal is great, easily my favourite out of the brothers (though all of them work as characters) and Michael is rather cute as well.

Andre's ruthless streak could end up backfiring on him considering that Jamal and Hakeem actually get along.

Hakeem is a bit of a spoiled brat but he's actually likeable enough as well.

Music was great in this episode, especially "What Is Love", "Live For The Moment" and of course, "Good Enough".

Not sure what to make of Rhonda and Anika yet but I didn't mind Vernon and Becky though, 8/10

• Love 2